Speaker 1: Appogiae Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the She Rises Podcast. I'm Ashy and I'm Tiana.
Speaker 1: This podcast is.
Speaker 3: About female empowerment and encouraging you to be your biggest, boldest, and most authentic version of yourself.
Speaker 2: We help you shed the shame grow to a new level. We're gonna laugh and cry and talk about the topics everyone else is too afraid to talk about.
Speaker 1: Get ready for your next level of self.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get straight into it. So we're going to talk about how to deal with conflict. Like I said before, this is something all of us have to deal with, whether it's with your partner, friendships, co workers, people on the street, literally anyone. So I want to talk about a podcast I listened to the other day with Stephen Bartlett. And his name was Jefferson Fisher, and he is a lawyer, and his dad was a lawyer, and his grandpa was a lawyer, and they've really hard to learn how to communicate because a court battle you have to know how to communicate properly in effect, and be quick on your feet and understand other humans and human psychology and read body language. And he was really really great, but he said just one thing that really stood out for me, and it was like a three step process when someone attacks you. So someone's color at you. Yeah, it was really really powerful. So the first step is so say something nasty to me, really nasty, you're a bitch? Sorry? Can you just repeat that for me?
Speaker 3: You're a bitch?
Speaker 2: Thank you thanks to letting me know that. So the first step is to breathe, because when you breathe one, you're calming down your nervous system. It's telling your body that it's safe. It's just words. A tiger's not going to attack you. It also allows space for it to land, So it allows space for the person's attacked you to realize what they've said.
Speaker 3: Holy fuck.
Speaker 2: If I just said that and then asking them to repeat it, they don't want to say it again. No, they fucking know what they're saying is not right, not nice. So getting them to say it again, he said, a lot of the time they go, oh, I didn't mean to say that, or you're a bitch. If they say it again with ease, you're thanking them. You're thanking them for showing you who they are, where they're at, and how little respect they have for you. Oh shit, you're not going to give time and energy trying to have a conversation with someone that has made up their mind about you and that does not know how to have an effective conversation. Wow, So it's breathe, let it land, allow it to be there, ask them to repeat it, and then thank them.
Speaker 1: Wow. That at the end of the episode, that's all you need.
Speaker 2: So powerful. Whereas most of the time if someone attacks us, our nervous system thinks we're getting attacked and we have to run or react and bite back, and then we normally say something we don't mean. It's just this back and forth fight that we get into that doesn't solve anything. But that big breath is just so powerful, and we forget to breathe when we're in that heightened state. It's true, and then it ends up blowing up. I'm like, what the fuck are you fighting about?
Speaker 3: Is this worth it?
Speaker 2: Or if you just think there's no way to resolve with that person, then you thank them, you walk away. You have your boundary there on standard of how you're going to be treated and what you're going to allow into your space. No, I won't allow that in my space anymore. I'm not going to entertain that you know.
Speaker 3: What a powerful and like simple process. Right, Oh god, so good. Even when you said like say something, I was like, you're a bitch, and then you like, say it again. I had this internal resistance. I was like, yeah, no, I know that this is happening in a role play. I'm like, oh, I don't want to say it again. No, it's so interesting the response that I had. Yeah, and you like, can you say that again? I was like, oh shit.
Speaker 2: I'm sure if everyone just took a moment, even if you pause this podcast now and think of a moment that you've done that or someone's come at you, if you had to ask them to repeat it, they probably wouldn't, or if they did, then it's an easy cut of like, we're not going to I'm not going to engage in this. Yeah, when you're speaking to me like that and you're throwing those attacks at me so easily that you think it's okay and acceptable, yeah, no, you don't even have to explain that, just thanking thems enough and then you walk away what you said.
Speaker 3: The lack of respect part really hit home is like if someone is willing to say that to you again and be willing to stand in that without correcting themselves. It really does highlight to you where they're at and how they feel about.
Speaker 2: You literally, and then it leads into if you're wanting to resolve conflict and have a an effective kind conversation and you ask them to repeat it and they can't, then it's like, okay, let's get into really how you're feeling. What's underneath that first initial comment I've upset you? Yeah, can you please help me understand how I've upset you? And get them to talk, get them to explain it, go deeper than the surface level reaction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, what caused you to feel that way?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's kind of how I'm trying to deal with conflict these days. Yeah, that's really powerful. And I think before you go into any conversation that could be conflict and hard and the other person's disregulated or you're justsregulated, that's the first thing to do is like check where you're actually at. Yeah, don't go into a heavy conversation if you're dysregulated. You can be nervous. Of course you're going to be a little bit like off center because it's unc comfortable, But take some big breaths, going with your facts, going with clear clarity of what you're going in there for your intentions, the outcome that you want, and making sure that you're allowing both people to be heard. That's my intention when I go into a hard conversation, it's not about being right. Is that resolving this and both of us being heard so we can walk away feeling we've either made a compromise or we've reconnected even if we can't agree or come to a solution. There's no attacking, there's no point in the finger, there's no escalating it where it's going to break out relationship or bond or trust. But yeah, it's obviously easier than done. But I feel like hearing this and having that awareness you can go in and do better. And the more you practice this, the easier it does get. Yeah, the more normal it feels. There's a lot of us.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: For me growing up, it was just in a household yelling. Yeah, so I felt normal to yell. And then I got to a point I was like, this doesn't feel nice and I want to have conflict like this. It can be done differently. So that's my take on it.
Speaker 3: So good.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: I think there will be a lot of people who be able to take that away and go, wow, this is something I can actually implement time I can get really good at.
Speaker 2: Go write it down like that three step process and just remembering to have clarity and an intention behind the conversation really important.
Speaker 3: It's a huge thing, isn't it. Conflict is an interesting thing. It can be such a challenging thing to want to face. And I know a lot of us tend to like avoid shy away from run and just like really don't enjoy. Yes, we really don't enjoy the discomfort that comes up with having to confront someone. And I know, like a lot of the times it does stem from you know, wanting to preserve that relationship.
Speaker 2: Soon be abandoned, you know.
Speaker 3: And this is something we even spoke about earlier this morning, where it was like it's really important to get clear on what your goal is with your relationship, Like it doesn't matter whether it's conflict, a fight, or something that you're not okay with. This is how I like to do it, is to like think about what your actual goal and intention is for the friendship or the relationship and then go, Okay, what's my best case scenario outcome? What do I want for this. Do I want to prison? Do I want to build? Do I want to keep this friendship really close and type or this relationship and nurture it, Because that's when you'll get your answer, because when you want to do those things, you've got to be willing to have hard conversations in order to nurture it. Do people actually have the opposite perspective? People think if I bring this up to them, I'm going to push them away. And it's not to say that it doesn't happen, because it does. Some people can't hold you in it. But there are going to be times with the right people who when you bring things in it's going to bring you closer. And so you've got to be willing to check with yourself around what your intention is and whether you know this potential little tif that you're about to have is worth you being able to create deeper connection in the future, which the ninety nine point nine percent of the time it always is. And I think that's something to just keep in mind.
Speaker 2: I love that. Another thing I learned a couple of weeks ago from Steve was there was something that happened that fell back on my name even though I had nothing to do with And I really was expecting and hoping this person would come to me and apologize because I kind of had to take the flack of it. Yeah, And I didn't want to go in asking for that. I didn't want to go in to feel attacked, so I just decided to avoid and sweet and Steve was like, why don't you lead in there with curiosity? I was like, but how He's like, well, I would personally go and be like, oh my gosh, how are you da, da, how's about that thing that happened? How did you feel? Because I haven't had the chance to speak to you about it yet? And I was like, wow, that is such an easy solution, genius, because I'm like, you're not going in there attacking, You're not going there demanding or criticizing. You're saying, hey, what came up for you? And it just opens the conversation to have this conversation of like, holy shit, yeah shit went down, Yeah fuck, I'm sorry about that. Oh gosh, I don't know how I feel about it. And you can see where they're at and you'll be able to gauge and then lead the conversation from there. I was like, Wow, that's really cool. Have I had the conversation yet, Not yet, but I will get to that.
Speaker 1: It was a great idea. It was a great idea. Yeah, this is yes, and I'm going to put out the bottom of my to do list.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, it's amazing and I would definitely use that. And now it's me being brave enough to lean in and actually have that conversation. I did it yesterday's too. You put me up to something. Yeah, You're like, you're avoiding, you're avoiding. Yeah. I was like, yeah, I know, but it's done on the person feeling I'm comfortable and I don't want them feeling stressed about this. And da no D You're like, yeah, but you're avoiding it. Yeah, it's not the point of it. You need to go in and you love this person, you have respect for them, and you want to preserve that relationship. You value transparency, do the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I did it last night. It was as scary as what it was. And we have to also look within of why we're doing that. So for me, it's I'm scared of being abandoned. I want to give and provide and save and do all these things because I think that that's how people love me, and it's a passion of mine. So I get scared if I speak up or I don't provide or I don't do something like that, that they're going to leave or they're not going to love me. I know it's not the truth, but it's rewinding my brain and having the experiences and evidence that it's safe to speak up and have those conversations. And it's also good practice for me because it's how I delivered the conversation is where it's gonna matter. Yeah, you know it's a big part of it.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a cool thing that the delivery is the big part because it's like, because we make it such a big thing in our heads, we go, oh, this has to be such a huge conversation. You need to sit down for two and a half hours and unpack this and dissect it as opposed to something that's really benefited me. And like, I could never have hard conversations before I was the biggest people pleaser. I would avoid everything. And then it got to a point where I'm like, Okay, how can I have this conversation in the most casual way possible? Yes? How can I keep it light? Yeah? Just a casual conversation. And I think something that's really helped me, which was really hard thing to do it first, actually was to think about the other person first in any given situation. And I'm not saying that I'm perfect to this by any maintance. My last relationship I really struggled with this, but in friendships and stuff like that, I think immediately hearing, validating and acknowledging what the other person is feeling or going through immediately creates connection and safety because you're like, hey, fucking here for you, in this with you, and regardless of how I'm feeling right now, like I just want you to know I see you.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: And I think that in itself creates this. I can like breathe an exhale and relax and then immediately you get the best of them because you've given the best of you. And I think so that kind of like that selfless act in that moment to go, yeah, I'm going to lean into you first instead of expecting you to lean into me. Then we will create the cycle of creating that safety for each other.
Speaker 2: Oh, I absolutely love that.
Speaker 3: There's actually a really good book that I would recommend. It's called nonviolent communication. I'm not actually sure who it's by, but if you type it up, it'll come up. This helped me find a really simple framework of being able to have nonviolent communication in any high conflict situation.
Speaker 2: Or I love a good framework.
Speaker 3: And so it was like a simple three step process something like fact, feeling, and resolution. So what did that before? Yeah, I made my own kind of of it. It's like a five step process. It has those in it, but in my own way and added steps I think are really beneficial that have really helped my clients. But this simple process is whenever you're going into a situation, before you communicate, go in with a plan. Never go in on an emotional high, when you're dysregulated and your guns are blazing and you're ready to throw hands. Right, write it down on a piece of paper, what the facts are of the situation. So what specifically happened for this to create this problem?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Not how you feel, but what happened this person didn't do the dishes? And then you go into kate. Once you've got the facts, you then go into the feeling. How did when XYZ happen? How did that make me feel? And not I feel xyz because he did blah blah blah. It's in that moment. I felt unsafe in that moment, I felt disrespected. In that moment, I felt dismissed. Those would be good examples, and then you go into resolution instead intead of saying to the other person, why didn't you fucking do x y Z? You made me feel this, you're saying, next time when something like this happens, do you think that I could request a view to show up as XYZ, so instead of you sitting on the lounge and not doing the dishes when you've promised me that you would, would you mind next time making sure that the dishes are done before I'm home. What you're doing is you're looking for the solution, and you're immediately going to the solution, as opposed to saying stuck in the problem. Oh, I love that.
Speaker 2: That's really cool. I also love what you said before about how to make things really casual. Yeah, I remember Brian Rees, our first relationship coach. He said, a good way to approach, especially a man that is really uncomfortable having hard conversations. I suppose anyone who doesn't like hard conversations is doing it in the car when they're driving. Oh yeah, because sometimes when you sit someone down, I've got to have a conversation with you, it's immediately wards are up, or immediately they're scared, immediately they've shut down because I feel like you're going to criticize them they're a trouble or what interview it feels like that, or in interrogations when you're casually driving, it was like, hey, gosh, remember that thing that happened the other day. I don't know, I'm just not really sad about that. Do you think I'm up for you? And because they're driving, they know you're there, they're present because they're driving, But it just takes away that intensity. Yes, it allows it to be more a casual, flowy conversation. You'll find the person will open up a lot more. And I use this technique with Steve for a little while. He's a lot better just approaching and having conversations with these days, but back when he wasn't, it was a really good tool that I could just use.
Speaker 3: Yeah,