Speaker 1: Apogae production, Welcome back to another episode, And.
Speaker 2: Am I a mad mom podcast? It is the question we constantly ask. The content never runs out, No, it doesn't. I'm actually in a situation at the moment where I had to have a chat with my girls about the fact that I don't hear anything from them, like, oh God.
Speaker 3: How is your day? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, good, Like there's nothing to tell me until ten pm, and then at ten pm they want to tell me everything about the whole day, about who's done. What I said to HollyHood day, I was like, Okay, how is your day? Talk to me, tell me what's going on, how are you feeling? And she went fine, why And I won't because I don't want you to keep coming in at ten pm and then telling me everything when I just want to finish off show i'm watching and go to bed. I don't want that to be the time to talk. And it made me feel bad because I was like, I'm not telling you, I don't want to talk to you. Yeah, I just don't want to hear it all late at night.
Speaker 3: I've said this before too. Is that bandwidth? Like every one of us human being has definitely got different bandwidths. Like I think my bandwidth it sort of runs out about eight pm. And it's just interesting how they feel comfortable after being home probably from what four pm? Yeah, and they've just built the confidence to talk to you at ten pm. That is so much time in between.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it's also because they have their devices, phones or whatever, and then they have to give it back, give it back, and so then it's like we've got something else as I'll talk to you. Am I a bad mum for making them pay?
Speaker 3: The question is for what? Because right now you're got some big things coming up for what they're paying for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like not moving out.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying you're saying, oh move out now, Like that's not what you're saying that but.
Speaker 2: Forty years Yeah, So my girls are at the stage. We've talked about how they love going to concerts. Billie Eilish was a big thing. They saved up money. They bought three tickets to the same show. But then they also wanted to get merch that's like exclusively only sold at the concert, or there's like limited edition or things like that. Anyway, we ended up lending the girls some money and I said, don't worry about paying us back until after the concerts and everything's been done, and then I want a plan to how you're going to pay us back. It's about two hundred dollars each.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: So now they're saving, yeah, because they want to get a car.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was yeah, that was what I thought you were talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're also saving to go to Billie Eilish in London in July. I was like, that's not happening. No, you're not saving that much money to go fly to London, yeah, in July. And then it's that whole battle rage of going. They've put together a plan of how they're going to make money, how much money they need per I think it's twenty five dollars per day they need to make or something done, a list of how they're going to make the money. Obviously they've got jobs at macas. They've also put like babysitting and like a whole bunch of things on this list. Like they've pulled together a very well thought out plan. Now, as a parent, I've got this battle of going, do I shoot their dreams down and just go that's not happening, You're never gonna make it, Or do I allow them to.
Speaker 3: Well whenever they're in anticipating that they're going to Number one is the reality. I love that. I love the whole thing that they've gone to the extreme of the reality of it is that if you were wanting to be able to how are you're going to afford to pay for the airfare which you'd probably want to be booking somewhat soon for July. How are you going to be paying for that? Straight up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, they've got this plan. They've got the plan, and the plan makes sense. I still think if you said to me, do you want to go to Europe in July, I'd be like, no, I'm not going to be able to have enough money to go to Europe. It's that fine line of going do I encourage them.
Speaker 3: To reach for the stoach for the stars or.
Speaker 2: Do I shut it down and go no, that's never going to happen.
Speaker 3: I think the worst case scenario would be let them reach for the stars when they get to July. Let's just say July twenty, when Billy is playing in and they're not there, they'll have a heap of money saved up to go straight into the car account.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the other thing rach is. And this is the whole Am I a bad mum for making them pay? Is that I'm standing my ground with the money that they owe us. Absolutely, And the reason I'm doing it is because I'm like, it's so important to take responsibility over your debt. You need a way to pay that back first. So when they say to me, Mum, can I do some jobs? And Jay will go, yeah, you need clean up the yard or whatever, and it's worth this much money, I'm like, but don't forget that needs to come back to us because that's what you owe. And then afterwards then you're you're saying all right, But then it makes me.
Speaker 3: Now because you're not teaching them any life lessons. Yeah, because when someone later on in life is like, no, you still owe me two hundred dollars for rent and they go, can I just do some jobs around the house for You're like, no, unfortunately, no, I just need the cash.
Speaker 2: And understand could go don't worry about it, don't worry about paying us back. You just save your money. But then I'm like, no, that's teaching them nothing.
Speaker 3: No, well who was doing that for you at their age?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And also you know, you run up a bill on your credit card.
Speaker 3: You're not say it's okay.
Speaker 2: The credit card companies are saying, don't worry about paying you back, don't wry about it. You know you want to go to Billy. I want to do that instead.
Speaker 3: My thing is like, who going to Billie Eilish with them in London? Like you or Jay? Because they can't technically fly over by themselves.
Speaker 2: I haven't even factored that in.
Speaker 3: So then for you that's another cost. Yeah, and you haven't booked your tiki yet and it's nearly April, so no intention. Yeah, I mean technically they're sixteen, so no, I mean even kids. I don't know that they can fly internationally without approval, not from sixteen.
Speaker 2: But you can send kids unaccompanied.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you've got to have approval through that all right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Actually yeah, because I remember, just let.
Speaker 3: Them go unaccompanied to London. That is a tough question. I'm like, right now, my part would go, oh, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: The only good thing for me is that I've got a lot of family over in London.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, and you trust that they would get off the aircraft and then transit into the next aircraft okay before going Like so they're in Dubai. Let's just say they're in Dubai. They've got fourteen hours in Dubai between flights.
Speaker 2: Like, no, you're cool with that? No?
Speaker 3: No, I was like no Singapore, Like oh, they're just transitting through Singapore and you're like okay, cool, So what did you do in Singapore for like eight hours?
Speaker 2: What if they don't get on the flight because they don't know where to go? I don't know where to go when I stop over having to ask people and be like where do I need to go?
Speaker 3: What? Time?
Speaker 2: Like checking the poor. In my mind, it was like, okay, get on at Brisbane, we're here, get off at London. Yeah, family member picks them up. Yeah, my cousin works that he throw he's already there.
Speaker 3: That's a long way. You understand. This is not Brisboo Sydney. It's a big job. So one of you are going. So that's another expense for you just to come up. I just want to bring that up because I don't think your brain had gone there yet.
Speaker 2: I want to go.
Speaker 3: And what will they do when they get to London? Are they going to expect to be in that line up again? Yeah?
Speaker 2: They want to camp, camp.
Speaker 3: Get married, Oh my gosh, that's so yeah.
Speaker 2: No, don't don't know how this has turned into everyone going on a big trip to London in July.
Speaker 3: Yes, you are. We're going to see Billy alish you in London. You're going