Speaker 1: Live on Sky News. This is Sharry.
Speaker 2: Good Evening Tonight. Anthony Albanzi wanted ed Husick out of cabinet, privately accusing him of disloyalty, and now Albinizi is letting Richard milesby the fall guy. I should have said the ministry, not cabinet. I'll bring you this exclusive in a moment. Who should be the leader of the Liberal Party? Are there any options who can win back thirty five seats? It seems that very unlikely. Ray Hadley would join me live to discuss labor operative. Cameron Milner will outline the radical agenda he says Albinizi and Penny Wong are secretly planning. Plus, Donald Trump is set to accept an extravagant gift from Qatar, this as he negotiates the return of one American hostage. Is he really trusting the word of a terror group. I'll get the latest with Kosha data, but first tonight, Anthony Albanzi wanted ed Husick out of the ministry, privately accusing him of disloyalty, and Labour sols to say that the Prime Minister is now letting his deputy Richard Miles be the fall guy to the blood letting division and enmities consuming labor less than a week after its shock landslide win. While each political party is currently consumed by a division, the Greens need to choose a new leader, while the Liberals are leaking against their rivals ahead of the party room meeting tomorrow. But none of this division is as astonishing as Labour's factional brawl that's erupted just days after one of their largest election victories. Labour's former Attorney General Mark Dreyfuss was ready to resign before the last election after his wife Deborah passed away in November twenty twenty three, but Labour figures asked him to stay and again contest his seat Issacs. They were worried that if he stepped back, they'd risk losing the seat. They thought that Victoria was going to be a blood bath. Now, Mark Dreyfus did them a favor, one that he presumably wouldn't have agreed to had he known that he'd be repaid with a shock demotion, and today Dreyfus was dropped from cabinet altogether and replaced as Attorney General by Michelle Rowlands, and Ed Husick has also been dropped from the ministry, while Tanya Plibsek was dumped from Environment and given the Social Services portfolio. This makes Alberteasi's key rival invisible and continues his poor treatment and marginalization of her. In other moves, Anika Wells takes on Communications from Rolands, while Anne Ali and Tim Ares joined cabinet a small Business and Industry and Science minister respectively. Mark Butler takes on the NDIS portfolio. This after Bill Shorten's departure, and despite not having solved the housing crisis and far from it, Clara O'Neil now adds the new Ministry of Cities to her responsibilities. And this is about consolidating Labour's position in the cities and well Their ambition is to confine the Liberals to be an outer regional party. It's also worth noting that the Labor Cabinet still has a Muslim in ann Ali, but there's now no Jewish minister. This matters when Pennywong and Tony Burke push for Palestinian recognition, as they're likely to do this term. Who's there to argue against them? And it's the ruthless acting of Dreyfus and Husick that has upset many labor and peace. Now the Prime minister tried to just dismiss this today issue Mark.
Speaker 3: Or either Mark Dreyfus saw it husick to say in the ministry and if not, why not.
Speaker 4: Look, we have a process in the labor cool because you've been watching it for some time.
Speaker 2: Senior labor figures I spoke to today pointed to Drayfus's age sixty eight. They said it was time for renewal and for younger talent. But the brutal act of this betrayal cannot be ignored. Drayfus reportedly phoned Albanzi on Thursday morning and asked him personally to intervene. Sam Maiden reports that a delegation also begged Albanesi, but again he declined to get involved. Now, given the size of Labour's victory, Albanize could have stopped the bloodshed if he wanted to. He could have told the Victorian right faction, led by his deputy Prime Minister Richard Miles, that he wanted Mark Dreyfus to stay in cabinet. I mean, alban Easy is up to his neck in factional politics, but he chose not to do this. Now, the full weight of anger from Labor and Peace is currently being directed at Richard Miles, but there's also frustration at Albanezi for failing to insist on unity and provide stability. Now it's unclear precisely what the Prime Minister's beef is with Dreyfus, apart from the fact that he did speak in defense of Israel in cabinet meetings. But it's well known that Albinizi has been unhappy with Ed Husick for a while. He's concerned that he's been disloyal, and he's blamed him for leaks. Whether that's that's accurate or not, that was the Prime Minister's perception. One labour source told me today Albanzi absolutely wanted him out. Now it's convenient for the Prime Minister that Richard Miles is wearing the blame for Husick's demotion, and it's no accident that that is how this narrative is being portrayed. But in truth, it had very little to do with Richard Miles at all. Simply had their fourth spot returned to them. It was lost when Bill shot and retired, and it was alban Ezy's Socialist left faction that demanded an extra spot in cabinet, and the New South Wales Right could have dumped Tony Burke or Chris Bowen or Jason Clair who has a pretty low profile, but they chose. It was ed Husick's own faction who chose to get rid of him, and they did so in the full knowledge that it was alban Easy's preferred outcome. And now a week after their landslide victory, when you'd think they'd all be celebrating instead, all of this dirty laundry has been aired in public. Now. Ed Husick described Richard Miles as a factional assassin on the ABC yesterday.
Speaker 5: The difficult issue here is that we've had sort of bear faced ambition and a deputy Prime minister wheeled a factional club to reshape the ministry. I think when people look at a deputy prime minister they expect to see a statesman, not a factional assassin.
Speaker 2: Now, he couldn't come out as strongly against the Prime Minister or against his own faction. He might need them for a promotion down the track. But he did say that Albaneze could have intervened given the authority he now wields over the party.
Speaker 5: The PM had great authority coming out of the election. I think if you'd exercise it in a way that provided for stability and a strong team, but had been there and could go forward, no one would have quibbled about that. So I was going to ask you about the role of the Prime minister. Do you think he should have intervened or not?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 5: Of course, right like I'm not going to sit here with false modesty, of course, and ed.
Speaker 2: Husick will not go quietly. Labor and Peace have already launched an extraordinary spray describing Richard Marles, their deputy Prime Minister, as dumb and nasty in this news dot COM's at a U article written by Sam Maiden, and she reports that Labor and PS were scathing however the brutality of the post election reshuffle, with one describing the factional power brokers as sociopaths. Albanize has unfettered power now. A Labour souce said he could have used that power to protect front benches and he didn't. Sam Ray is Richard Miles's numbers man, and Sam Ray is one of those that the Victorian right now has in the ministry. Albanese's message in response to this in fighting was to publicly say that the Labor Party is greater than any individual.
Speaker 4: Government brings with it responsibility and no individual is greater than the collective and that includes myself. And we need to approach this term with him Melody, to make sure that we deliver on the commitments that we made to the Australian people, but also that we operate in a way which shows solidarity.
Speaker 2: That was his public appeal for unity when chaos was erupting, but then at the caucus meeting made in reports that he didn't even acknowledge or thank the two ministers who'd been dumped, Dreyfus and Husick, and besides Albinizi was the one behind Husick's dumping. Now, this is the true nature of the ruthless prime minister, who doesn't look after his own and only cares about his own tenure in the lodge. This is who Dreyfus is making way for the Ministry Sam Ray, who today became the Minister for Aged Care. He's a former Victorian State secretary, a factional heavyweight and very close to Richard Miles. He's young, he's known for his unique hair style, but he is powerful and that means maiden points out that Labor ministers Clara O'Neil, Mark Dreyfus, Peter khalil, An MP, Josh Burns, Tim Watts, Cassandra Fernando and so many others owe their seats or take their orders from him. Maiden writes that this sort of conduct might pass as normal and Doan Andrew's Victorian Labor Party, but it's not the way things are done at the federal level. But the overarching picture here is that the left action now has control within the Albanezy government. And Cameron Milner writes tonight in The Nightly that the Labor right, the usually usually the more sensible faction, is now powerless to stop the excesses of the left. And he says that this is the case on everything from negative gearing, recognition of Palestine, legislating the voice, promoting puberty blockers on the PBS and more. And Cameron's going to be on the show a bit later to talk about what he said is the radical agenda that Labour has planned now. Milner writes that Australia didn't vote knowingly for this radical left agenda, but they are about to get the lesson rammed down their throats. Ad nauseum. And that's because alban Easy and Penny Wong and co. Will say that they have the mandate for this radical reform with their ninety plus seats, never mind the fact they only took a small target agenda to the election. You know, their arrogance will be insufferable. But if they're leaving powerful and disgruntled and loud figures in their wake, like Ed Husick and Mike Drafers, perhaps they're just the start. Then one thing is for sure, it's not going to be smooth sailing for the alban Easy government. All right to discuss now, let's bring in Sky News hosts Steve Price and Joe Hildebrandt.
Speaker 6: You vote, Joe.
Speaker 2: I want to start with you so clearly, and you know this as well as I do. Albanizy believed ed Husick was disloyal. He blamed him for the leaks, whether or not that's accurate. He wanted him gone from the ministry.
Speaker 6: Yeah, to be honest and hand on heart.
Speaker 7: I don't know what Albanese's personal feelings towards ed Husick are. What I am told is that, as you say, this was not necessarily Richard Miles's doing that obviously the makeup of the ministry was going to change because the ministry has to reflect the factional makeup and the state by state makeup of the caucus. And because Victoria won a swag of unexpected seats, that means that Victoria was going to get more spots in the ministry, and the Victorian Right was also entitled to an extra spot at the expense of the New South Wales Right.
Speaker 2: I'm just that that was just Bill Shotton, the Bill shot and spot being returned, which they didn't demand out of unity during.
Speaker 7: There was that one, but I think there was also another one as well, and there was a demand that obviously that News Right would have to give up one of their spots in cabinet. My understanding is that figures in the New South Wales Right did not did not argue with that, They did not argue the toss, They did not fight to keep ed Husick in the cabinet. That and that representations were not even made to Anthony Albinezi to keep ed Husick in the cabinet. I'm not surprised by that simply because if you are a factional power broker, there is absolutely no advantage in you saying to the prime minister from an opposing faction, we would like you to overrule the faction, the factional machine.
Speaker 6: That gives us our power.
Speaker 7: I can't think of any factional leader who would do that. And Tony Burke and Chris Bowen, for example, both very influenced. They basically control the faction between them in New South Wales. They would not want to outsource their power to a prime minister from the other faction, notwithstanding how much they might all get along. So so, I really like ed Husick. I think he's a great talent, and I was very sorry to see him go.
Speaker 1: Everyone, Joe, I do like everybody.
Speaker 7: I do like everyone also, I like Berkie, and I like Bowen, I love Jason Clare campaign spokesman very high Brocole.
Speaker 2: All right, Steve Price, who doesn't like everyone, Neither do I Steve. You know, if Albert is behind this, which is what I'm hearing, he's letting Richard Marles be the fall guy. You know, a music sacking had pretty much nothing to do with Richard Marles.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is.
Speaker 2: How how factional, how ruthless, how brutal Albaniz he really is.
Speaker 8: It's only even worse. I mean, if you are going to go into the new parliament with ninety plus ninety two plus seats, you can do whatever you like. I mean, I just get sick and tired. You know, Joe's going on there about factional warlords and all this sort of crap. I mean, seriously, the country needs to be run. You've got Sam Ray that you Shari have just pointed out. It wields a lot of power in Victoria. Stephen Conroy's a mate of his and he's sort of marshaled him through the part. This boat's just now been made Minister for Age Care. Can we worry about age care and what's happening in age care now? Sam Ray's a factional player and has just been handed one of the most important portfolios in the country. It just annoys ordinary Australians that the Labor Party and look, they won the election, it was a thumping, but they just sit around tearing each other apart, knifeing each other in the back, playing factional games. Australians would like the new government if they have five minutes to get on with running the country and stop stabbing each other in the back all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really find it extraordinary, Joe that it was just days they should have been celebrating their win and already and it's not just one size, it's multiple bicks, multiple media outlets leaking against each other. You know, this division always there was, it just very carefully managed before the election campaign.
Speaker 7: Well, I think that that is the way the sort of labor sort of machine works, and it's always been that way. There's only been one election result after which the prime minister made a captain's call on who was in the cabinet, and that was Kevin Rudd in two thousand and seven, because he said he had a mandate and no one stood in his way, and that ended up paving the way for what was called the Kitchen Cabinet, where all this control was centralized among four senior ministers, and that was that resulted in the government imploding. And so there is method in the madness.
Speaker 2: Part of what I think it was Rudd's personality that was thought.
Speaker 7: There was also that as well, but it was the fact that the rest of the cabinet did not feel like they were being respected and that was why they revolted in Victoria. One of the really important things that's happening is the right is trying to regain control of that branch and the left there Obviously I'm no friend of Daniel Andrews, but the left there has been an absolute disaster in government and it needs and that's right, and it needs to be retaken. And it was you know, Dan Andrews used to serve at the pleasure of the right and he's such a canny operator. And there was the branch acting stuff that the left ended up just taking whole fyle control of the state and the right is trying to get it back. The problem is the right is divided, so Richard Mirles actually only controls about half of the Right in Victoria and the other the rest of his control by other interests. So NISI unite and then take over.
Speaker 2: Well, let's have a look at the other side of politics. Obviously it's a big day for the Liberal Party tomorrow. They're going to decide between Angus Taylor and Susan Lay and they could even be a surprise candidate for the next leader. Steve Price, do you have a view on if either of them would be able to win back thirty five six? So who would be the better option to regain the largest number of seats at the next election.
Speaker 1: None of the above.
Speaker 8: I mean, what they're going to do tomorrow is vote to put somebody into the worst job in Australia currently. You're going to be opposition leader for at least three years, maybe six if you last that long, and the next generation clearly maybe led by Tim Wilson and other younger members to manage to hang on during the blood bath. So whoever get wins that vote tomorrow. I mean, it's a poison chalice, isn't it. I mean, you know you've got Angus Taylor and just sent a Nampa Jim for price. I mean I presume that that deal must have been discussed and worked out sometime in the past. That didn't just happen surely after the election result up against Susan Layan. Who knows who else might put up their hand to become deputy. But it's a job that no one would want. I remember Joe Hockey telling me after they lost to Kevin Rudd in two thousand and seven. He woke up one night in a motel down in gipps Land with trucks thundering past the front door. He'd been the treasurer a month before now he was in opposition trying to drum up votes somewhere down into the tro Valley. He said it was the worst time of his life and he considered quitting. So, I mean, these people have got a very very sad journey over the next few years that they're going to have to have.
Speaker 2: Very depressing No question, Joe, what do you think who do you think would be the best outcome? I mean that you know, we've been talking for days, I suppose about the reasons against both of them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think to be honest, it seems absolutely right. Whoever wins losers. There is virtually no way, barring some kind of miracle or divine intervention, there's no way that Libs can come back in three years time from forty seats to overtake a government with ninety three seats at last times we're talking, I mean, the government currently has almost two thirds of House of Representatives.
Speaker 6: It's astonishing.
Speaker 7: So just mathematically, that makes it really hard. Another thing that makes it really hard is the fact that Monique Ryan just hung on to Coujong by an absolute shoe string. Guess who's going to come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we're going to get different background.
Speaker 7: There results well, yeah, you can bet your bottom dollar that Josh Friedenberg will be contesting in three years time. Might not be Cou Youong, might not be Coo Young, but that would be the obvious one, a bit of payback, bit of revenge.
Speaker 2: And we pull up where those figures sit now. Then, so we're looking at Bradfield. We know that in Bradfield you sell cap Terran. She's a liberal candidate. She is maintaining her lead, but it's something like one hundred and eighty votes ahead of Nicolette Bowl who's the teal, So she might win. A voting is ongoing, so she's not declaring victory just yet. And then in Couyong, it does look like Minnick Grian has clung on despite pressure in recent days from Amelia Hamer. I mean, Steve, I struggle to understand how, and you're in Melbourne, expaves to me if you can. I struggle to understand how any voter could support Minnick Brian because she has objectively been a disaster. Irrespective of which side of politics you support, she's been a disaster over the past three years.
Speaker 1: Well she has.
Speaker 8: I mean, if you live in the seat that she's been running for the last three years. I mean, you fail to see anything that she's done for the electorate. Amelia Haimer ran a really strong campaign. I saw her at a hollingbooth a few days out for the election. She looked like she hadn't slept for three or four weeks. She was a very good candidate. I wouldn't be surprised if Amelia Hamer ends up going into state politics, and I'll probably find her a seat because I mean the Libs down here, of course, they've got to try and win back from Jacinda Allen. I mean, Victoria is such a fascinating case because the Victorian voters are obviously filthy on Dan Andrews and Cinda Allen. They hate state labor, but they didn't hate state labor enough not to vote federal labor.
Speaker 1: So clearly they're just.
Speaker 8: Going to punish the state labor and they're happy to have labor in power in Canberra. But Monique Ryan, doctor, don't forget doctor.
Speaker 1: Your master.
Speaker 9: Years.
Speaker 2: This is the silver lining door put your mask.
Speaker 7: On, which this paves the way for Josh fridenbur to come back. Josh Fredenberg based on I'm not sure about that. I'm not sure about that.
Speaker 2: You have to say that he would be Prime ministeris leadership content.
Speaker 7: Exactly, and that's what I'm saying, so absolutely. But if it was to knock her out of the seat, I think I think he does well.
Speaker 2: I mean, he'd always you'd have to say, always one day have that ambition? Is it in three years time?
Speaker 1: It's sequel Steve, It's payback Cuyon too, the ultimate revenge.
Speaker 8: I don't need to spend the rest of the night with Josh Friedenberg texting me saying, you know, stop knocking me off before I put my hand up. But I don't think he wants to do it. I certainly probably think his family don't want him to do it.
Speaker 2: I'm sure eventually he'll go back into politics, but it's whether it's in three years time.
Speaker 7: If it's in your blood, it's in your blood, you can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he has still has a greater contribution to the country.
Speaker 6: I have no doubt.
Speaker 7: I think he's an enormously talented figure. He's obviously a future leader. And again talking about the Liberal leadership, I have no doubt that Josh Fredenberg will come back in Koyong. I have no doubt that he will win barring some unfore seen and then he is obviously the next candidate. He is one of the very people who can bring together both sort of wings of the broad church of the Liberal Party.
Speaker 2: Well, what about Zoey Daniel. She's still refusing to concede her seat of Goldstein to Tim Smith. I mean she posted on Instagram and there are still ten thousand votes to count. Please respect the process and voters until a definitive position is clear. I mean she didn't have that issue on the night of the election some ten days ago.
Speaker 1: Steve Well, I remember the pictures.
Speaker 8: I mean there was the fist pumping and the singing and the dancing and neck grind did the same thing, claimed.
Speaker 1: It before it was settled. This is just her, I believe, playing with Tim Wilson's head.
Speaker 8: I mean, if Tim Wilson puts his hand up tomorrow for either a deputy spot or a leader's spot, I mean, imagine what would then happen if Zoe Daniel would win In three days time.
Speaker 1: Everybody's called it. Tom Connell's not going to get that wrong.
Speaker 8: I mean it's clearly she's lost, and she's filthy about it and doesn't want to admit it.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting, of course how this will play out in the leadership contest tomorrow, you know which, because Tim Wilson gets a vote. He was even thinking of running at one point.
Speaker 7: I think it'd be great now and it could be a good opportunity to have someone who's really young.
Speaker 1: But I think he's I don't think he is, but I think.
Speaker 6: Think he would be.
Speaker 2: He was putting it out there, all right, Steer Price Joho raps. Now, the family of US Israeli hostage Eden Alexander are counting down the hours until they can see the twenty one year old again. Hamas has announced that they will release the last American hostage in Gaza. Now. Eden was kidnapped on October seven, twenty twenty three, five hundred and eighty three days ago. Now, if we believe Humas, he's expected to be released on Tuesday local time, and this is the same day that Donald Trump will begin his tour of the Middle East. The US President has praised the move, posting that this was a step, a step taken in good faith to to the United States and the efforts of the mediators Qatar and Egypt to put an end to this very brutal war and return all living hostages and remains to their loved ones. So that release supposedly being done as a gesture of good will after five hundred and eighty three days after the terror attacks of October seven, But who can seriously trust the word of Hermas or its backets for joining Minowskaanese contributor Kosha Gada, Kosha good to see you. Look, there's now reportedly pressure for Israel to reach some sort of deal with Hamas, and in my view this absolutely cannot happen. It needs to eliminate the terror group, and I mean even Albanizi says this Hamas cannot have a role in the future governing of Gaza. So are you concerned with how Trump is approaching this ongoing war or do you think let's just continue to give him the benefit of the doubt and perhaps this is just another negotiating tactic.
Speaker 9: It is very concerning. Sharian Gray Tabitha has always this is obviously very great news, even though it's many could say it's too little, too late. But for this particular hostage, reading Alexander, I can only imagine what he and his family or feeling, and that he's being released. I do love the framing of it as a gesture of goodwill.
Speaker 2: I agree with you there.
Speaker 9: It's hard to say those words given the time that's elapsed and everything that's happened. But I think just the negotiating strategy that the Trump administration is taking. He's going there, it's going to be his first trip to the Middle East as he's elected. He wants to have it sort of be buoyed by a positive theme or thematic around that. I think this was part of the negotiation to get this hostage released before his trip, So he's using all of that to kind of give this veneer, if you will, of goodwill and give.
Speaker 2: It a chance.
Speaker 9: But the fundamentals of the issue there, where Israel stands, where the US stands, and what hamas hasn't really changed even with these small wins. And because of that, I just find it a little bit difficult to see how the story is going to necessarily shift course. But we shall see. The only time will tell.
Speaker 2: I have to say. I mean, just sitting here, I do feel quite disappointed. I mean, you remember when the president was in his election campaign and before he took office, and he said, you know, within I can't remember the time frame, within forty eight hours or a week or whatever it was. He said, if every hostage is not released, there will be hell to pay. That's what he said. He said he will unleash hell. When that never happened. The hostages haven't been released, So I don't know that. I do think there's an incredible disappointment here. And if you're going to make those threats as president of the United States, well what happens when you don't follow through? You lose your authority and your credibility anyway kosher. He's meanwhile set to accept a four hundred million dollar US four hundred million dollar US Boeing seven four seven gift from the Katar royal family, and this jumbo jet may even at least temporarily replace Air Force one. Again, very lavish, extremely lavish gift. Should he accept this, you.
Speaker 9: Know, I don't love this one, I have to say. And it's a little bit off brand for Trump, because he, as an example, is the only president in history who hasn't taken the salary that he gets. At something like half a million US dollars, it's not a small amount of money even for somebody as rich as he is, and he does not accept that he donates it to different causes just as an example. So this kind of feels off brand from that. His whole thing is that he's a self funded billionaire and he's not beholden to anybody, and he doesn't take donations from anybody, let alone from the qataris what they will say. The administration is saying in the press. Secretary addressed this earlier today, is it's legal within whatever the rules are of accepting gifts. It's not going to him personally. It stays with the White House. It might be donated to his library later, so on and so forth. But it's not a great look. I think he's using it to show up the fact that the US and Boeing have been very slow to get upgrades done on Air Force one. But all of that just doesn't make sense, and the idea of Air Force one being a Katari plane is something that I don't think actually sits very well with even a lot of people on his base, to the extent that they're paying attention.
Speaker 2: Then, on the trade deal with China, there also seems to be negotiations ongoing. US Treasury Secretary Scott Besson has confirmed that there's going to be a ninety day pause on the tariffs. It may be decreased as well. Kosher wears this up to.
Speaker 9: So they've just finished two days of negotiations in Geneva, supposedly reportedly they've reached agreement to a term sheet, so at least the outlines of a new deal. We don't know much more about the specifics. They're going to joint press conference tomorrow with senior officials from both the US and China where we'll get some more details, or so we expect. So I think it's in the right direction. At least. The rhetoric that's coming out from both China and the US seems to be positive that they reach some kind of alignment. They're finding common ground. Neither country, biggest trading partners in the world want to live in a world where there it's one hundred and fifty percent plus terrorifts. It doesn't make sense in the long term, But it was definitely a negotiating tactic to try and recalibrate the trade deficits. And it looks like some headway has been made and we should learn more.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, all right, and we'll update you on the show tomorrow. Koshagada, thanks so much. Now still to come. A labor insider takes us through the factional warfare engulfing the party just days after their massive win. Karon Milner would join me shortly and he'll let us know what's really going on. But first, Ray Hadley's back on the desk. This time he'll share his take on the liberal leadership. Stay tuned, Ray Hadley right here up next, Welcome back now. Ray Hadley's usually on a Tuesday night, but this week he's here on Monday, and he joins me right now, Radio Legend. Great to see you again.
Speaker 6: Thank you. Great to be here as well. There's plenty to talk about it, so much going on.
Speaker 2: I mean, who would have thought, I really can't get over this that they just days after their massive win and they're fighting over factional spots leaking in the paper accusing the deputy Prime minister. I mean, this is a man who travels the world representing the country accusing him of being dumb and nasty sociopath.
Speaker 10: Sevet, You've got to be a political historian to understand this. If you go back to the nineteen sixties, or wonderful journalist called Alan Reid, describe the Labor Party federally as thirty six faceless men. Arthur Corwell couldn't select his cabinet, and he made the point that thirty six faceless men were making decisions that an elected prime minister or opposition leader couldn't choose either the cabinet or shadow cabinet. So we fast forward to twenty twenty five, there's no different, I mean sixty five years ago, and here we are still talking about the fact that Anthony Albanezi, with the mandate he has got, allegedly couldn't vote for Hughsick and Drafish to stay. Now your revelation today tonight that in fact he could have well, of course he could have, I mean on the wrap on the prime ministra as you know.
Speaker 6: But this is an historic win for him.
Speaker 10: It's not a presidential election we've just seen, but it is almost presidential in that he's won ninety three seats and he did almost single handedly.
Speaker 6: And for him to actually say.
Speaker 10: Oh, the Labor Party policy caucus dictates to me, I mean, that's rubbish.
Speaker 6: If he had.
Speaker 10: Any bottle or a very coarse expression I won't use in front of a young lady, if he had any bottle. He would have just said, listen, factional worry is all you like. The right in Victoria, the right here, you know, I'm calling them. I'm calling the line here, and the line is Husic's days and drayfuds days, Drayfuth his wife passed away.
Speaker 6: He wanted to retire, the poor fellow, and they convinced him to stay.
Speaker 10: Then they treat him like some sort of offul and pass him off to the left.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's just not right. But the Prime minister's shame that he's very weak.
Speaker 10: He's got a mandate, but he relies on this old axiom from the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 6: I we've got to stick with what callous and the factions say.
Speaker 10: People elected the Labor Party to govern with the best possible people in that position, and it's not happening.
Speaker 2: I mean, you remember the shock after Rudd was overthrown by the faceless man. I mean, this was a prime minister that at the time was still popular with the people. Landslide when popular with the people, and then it was such a shock for everyone to wake up one day and discover that he wasn't the Prime minister anymore. No one knew, you know, who the Marka Bibbs of the world were at the time, who played a hand in enrolling Kevin Wright.
Speaker 6: This may come back to haunt the Prime Minister. This may come back to haunt him.
Speaker 10: He's very lucky that he's got such a vast majority over the opposition that will see him win if he survived the next three years, and possibly go on to have a third term if he wants it. I suspect, but I think the factional worry is that he's now Cowtawing two might come after him down the track a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well exactly. I mean, if they have this much power, his own position isn't garant. Let's talk about the Liberal leadership. So tomorrow it looks like Angus Taylor Susan lay for the leader, but Jacenter Price will put up her hand for deputy Now. Matt Canavan on this show and Thursday absolutely laid into her. We're going to play clip in a second. But also such a different response from the Nationals leader David Little Proud today earlier on with Chris Kenny. If we have them, let's play, let's play both Matt Canavan and then David Little Proud.
Speaker 3: So I just hope that whatever contribution j just Sinda can make in the Liberal Party is a constructive one that progresses their cause.
Speaker 6: And if that means she goes.
Speaker 2: All the way to the top, well then I'm.
Speaker 1: In full support.
Speaker 11: It's like changing teams on the football field after the whistle has blown. It's not the sort of behavior I think Austrains appreciate, and it's sort of a kind of thing that Lydia Thorpe did. How is what your center's doing any different from what Lydia did?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that just a shocking comparison, But I mean, no one we've got Bouten Well yeah for the NATS leadership.
Speaker 10: I mean really comparing her with Lydia Thorpe, it's a disgraceful comparison. Given the circumstances, they're supposed to be a coalition, and depending on what side of the coalition she's on, it doesn't matter. She's still part of the coalition and she's part of the Liberal Party now she will be the deputy leader and no matter who wins, because they both anointed her.
Speaker 6: Susan Lee said.
Speaker 10: Yes, I'd work with her, and so as obviously Angus. But I don't think it matter who wins tomorrow, because I don't think.
Speaker 6: The whole lead at the next election.
Speaker 10: I think there'll be plenty of jockeying, and you know from other younger members of the opposition, not that there's a lot of them there at the moment, but I don't think either of them will lead to the election in three years time anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting with just Enter because you know, clearly there's some anger from the nuts at her defection. But at least David little Prout accepted it because Chris Kenny said to him, Look, the only job she can't do in the National Party is prime minister. She can do every other job, so she must have that ambition if she wants to move to the Liberal Party.
Speaker 10: The punters wouldn't give a tinker's cuss she's with as long as she's part of the Conservative movement. And you're right, she's an ambitious woman and I think she could make a great prime minister down the track, so obviously she wants to be a great prime ministers. She can't do it from the national side of politics, not to go to the other side. But I mean they are a coalition, and I mean for Matt Canevan to say what he said in relation to her.
Speaker 6: You know, you talk to the people out there. They've lost no respect for her. They still like her. She's a very capable woman.
Speaker 2: Rather than damaging Jcinta.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I'm sure it has.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, Ray, last week you said that your granddaughter Lola was going to have some tests yes to see where her cancer levels were up to. Would you mind?
Speaker 10: Well, we've got some wonderful news that I didn't know about until after I had appeared with you. For these little babies like Lola, who's just three, who have lukemia, what they try to do in the first twenty eight days followed by the next fifty six is get rid of the CMI yourselves out of the bone marrow. When she did the first test after twenty eight, there were still cancer cells there. So after the next bout of chemo therapy, we got the exciting news last Wednesday night that the leukemia cells were no longer evident.
Speaker 6: In her bone marrow. Now that doesn't mean she's in the clear.
Speaker 10: It means that she's now gone tom munotherapy where she wears a backpack twenty four to seven, and then she goes back on chemo, but it means that the bone marrow transplant that may have been if the were still Lukemiaselves there is now no longer going to happen. And the family's ecstatic because my poor daughter and son in Laura have had no victories for the last six months. This is a victory and we hope and pray that she can continues with the progress she's made over the past couple of months.
Speaker 2: Of course, it's by far the hardest son lowless parents, and it's been really tough on you as well, Ray, I mean, your life has been has revolved around Lola and visiting the hospital and her house.
Speaker 6: Well, look, I'm a minor player in all of this.
Speaker 10: I think Matt grand dad should understand that the female side of the family play much more important part with little grand daughters.
Speaker 6: And all I can do is off of my support to my daughter, my son in law and the rest of the family. And that's what I try to do.
Speaker 10: And I'm lucky that I'm not working full time that I can actually do that because I was still doing my program that I've done for the last thirty years between nine and twelve. It means three thirty starts, and it means long days, and it means that perhaps I can't be doing the things that I'm now doing for the family.
Speaker 2: And you want to share with our viewers tonight how Lola celebrated.
Speaker 6: This was just after she came home from hospital. The little girl that cuddles her little sister, Remy.
Speaker 10: She's got two sisters, Avy who's seven, and Remy, who's about eighteen months old.
Speaker 2: So let's have a look now at Lola and her eighteen month old sister Remy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, mummy.
Speaker 10: Look she wanted mummy to see a cuddling a bigger system.
Speaker 6: But yeah, no, we all had a tear in our and we saw that originally.
Speaker 10: But look, there are many other children, many other families that said last week battling this dreadful disease and the work of the Sydney Children's Hospital Network and John Hunter and all the other hospitals across Australia are doing a wonderful job to try and alleviate the pain and suffering for these little ones.
Speaker 2: All right, Ray, thank you so much. We'll see you next week Monday, Monday night.
Speaker 6: Is that alright with you?
Speaker 2: Yep, that's fine with me. I'm here every night, so whichever night works best for you.
Speaker 10: No, Monday is fantastic Monday night next week?
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you, thanks.
Speaker 2: Right coming up after the break, the new Pope holds his first event with the press. So Fhi Ellsworth was there and she'll join me live from the Vatican shortly plus, Labor embroiled in factional warfare? Will hear from Cameron Milner next? Well, let's return to Labour's factional warfare. No one better place to speak about it than labor former State secretary and Bill Shorton's former chief of staff, Cameron Milner. Cameron, great to see you again. Look, I understand that Albanize personally wanted Ed Husick gone, and Richard Miles is the fall guy. Look, alban easy has form doing things like this, doesn't he?
Speaker 3: He does, And he certainly did that in twenty twenty two when he threatened both Tania Pleversek and Bill Shorten with losing their spots and tried to make machinations and manevings to get rid of both of them, because he's such so pressured by that by their presence in the cabinet. Still, but look who benefits the person of benefits from ed Husick losing industry and science. Is the very person who's replaced ed Husick, which is Tim is Tim is the viewers probably, I don't know. He's a talentless hack, a talentless hack who's only claim to fame is his Albow's best mate for the New South Wales hard Left, and he suddenly has ed Husick's portfolio, and suddenly the Left have control of cabinet now as well. So Albo's happy days best mate takes Ed's job after getting miles to the dirty work, and now also he has absolute carte blonde control of the cabinet with a full left agenda to roll out.
Speaker 2: So the ministry positions are equal between the labor right and the labor left. Is that right? But then in cabinet there are more factional left. So if that's the case, how does this play out in.
Speaker 3: Terms of policy, Well, it means there's no there's no safety net for voters any longer. I mean, you know, you could have relied on the labor right to be sensible and centrist and get rid of the worst excesses of the left.
Speaker 1: That's all gone. The safety has now gone.
Speaker 3: Albow stands ahead of the left with Penny Wong and other crazies who want to implement a whole range of policies that voter's never voted for. But not Let's not forget, of course that Penny Wong did put voice Truth and Treaty firmly on the agenda before polling day in a deliberate act to get that up in this term of office. But there's a whole of other left policies as well that voters didn't vote for. The Labor right would normally say no to, but now lost that power to say no on behalf of the Australian voters.
Speaker 2: Can you talk us through some of the other you know what you and I would call radical policy areas that you suspect could now be on Labour's agenda given the Left do have the control of cabinet.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: You only have to look at what Labor state conferences and national conferences been passing get to see where the Labour Left.
Speaker 6: Want to go.
Speaker 3: They want blokes running around in women's sport. They want sex trained drugs handed to twelve year old children without parental consent. They want to recognize the state of Palestine, but with Hamas having a role to play. I mean, these are crazy policies from the hard left, and they're the sorts of things that voters weren't exposed to but will be with this massive majority of the Elbow and the Left now have and the fact that no one can stop them, not least of course the Senate either where their comrades and the Greens or even further the left will be egging them on for tax policies like negative gearing changes, this unrealized capital gains tax on SOUPA, whole range of other things about family trusts will be on the agenda as well. No, we're about to see radical lurch the left, and the only thing stopping it is lazy Elbow. Albow might just be too much into the large es and traveling the world and Toto won again to actually be oversee some of this gender. But if not, voters are going to get a radical left agenda that they're never voted for in the last election.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's interesting because we're all talking about the size of Labour's win, and you know, when you get over ninety sets, no question, massive loudslide. But you know you've written before that this is a statistical anomaly because Labour's primary is so low, and for people at home, when I talk about Labour's primary, that's the number of people that actually put one on the ballot, the ballot box when they're voting for Labor, and that's somewhere around the thirty four potentially thirty five percent.
Speaker 3: Cameron, Yeah, sixty five, two thirds of Australian did not vote for Albot, and yet his government looks like he's got a massive majority. That's actually built on statistical numbers, not the primary vote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that comes down to preferences and also it's obviously a result of the fact that the coalition or the Liberal vote crashed, so you know, preferences all went to Labor and they're now sitting on ninety plus seats and they think they've got a massive mandate and we will just have to Time will tell whether they do go down this radical left path that you are saying you suspect they will. And you've been in there, you're an insider, all right, Cameron, really appreciate your time. I don't go anywhere strange. First press event from the new Pope, no questions from journalists. Sophie Elsworth will tell us what the new Pope said after this break, well, Pope Leo the fourteenth has fronted media the first time, meeting with more than six thousand journalists at the Vatican, where he talked about his concern for the future of AI. Here was Sky News UK's translation, Intelligence consumer.
Speaker 12: I'm thinking in particular of artificial intelligence with its potential edition. Nevertheless requires responsibility, they learned in order to ensure that it can be so that it can responsibility.
Speaker 2: And let's cross live to Vatican City now when News cop Europe correspondent Sophie Elsworth joins me Selfie, tell us what else he said at.
Speaker 13: This precedent, Sarry, this was just remarkable to be in this massive hall just beside Sir Peter's Basilica, where the Pope addressed thousands of people. There were hundreds of cameramen, thousands of journalists and it wasn't a normal press conference. He sat up the front, given a round of applause when he arrived. There were no questions, but he gave an eleven minute address. He asked the media to be really careful in their reporting, think carefully on what words they use, don't encourage a war of words, choose their language carefully. This was sort of his underlying message to the media. He thanked them very much for their coverage of recent events, including the death of Pope Francis, the funeral and the subsequent conclave, but a very strong.
Speaker 2: Message that he wants unity within the media and cherry.
Speaker 13: I've got to say I was quite blown away to see a lot of the media here, who you think would be incredibly objective, are standing up and giving him a standing ovation. This was not a normal type of press conference. I asked some vaticanisters who report on the Vatican full time, and they said, you won't see this again.
Speaker 2: This is incredibly rare.
Speaker 13: They do it when the Pope is announced and not again. So he was a very interesting to be there in the room, but not really a press conference because he didn't have to answer any questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and in fact no questions allowed. Now we are hearing that there are some controversies, at least in the media. Maybe this is what the Pope was referring to. Don't report on them, but there have been some controversies already emerging about this new Pope. Took us through them. Well, they have shari.
Speaker 13: A lot of this is in the English speaking press that during his tenure when he was in Chicago, that he didn't handle sexual abuse allegations involving other priests correctly. And there's claims that this is something that is a black mark on his name, and there was a complaint written to the Vatican about this. Now there's been other reporting as a result of this saying that this is not the case and it's an activist group with an agenda here. So this has obviously dominated a lot of the English speaking press, but difficult to find in some of the Italian newspapers when I'm looking at them translating what they're saying.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 13: There is a massive arm of media here that are very pro Vatican, very much pushing out the narratives that he wants. This is a massive eventual being here's Charry with such a huge media contingency, and they will a lot of them be back here for the inauguration on Sunday.
Speaker 2: All right, Sophy Alswa, thank you as always for your updates from Vatican City. All right, I won't be here tomorrow night. I will be back Wednesday, so tune in Wednesday well, and tune in tomorrow night as well. But I just won't be here. I hope all of the moms out there had a beautiful Mother's Day yesterday. I hope you were spoiled as I was by my two beautiful children and my husband. I'll see you on Wednesday. Here's Paul Murray.