Speaker 1: I'll get a team. It's the Bloody Project. That's you.
Speaker 2: It's Patrick who's famous with her, but more on that soon. It's Tiffany and Cuck who isn't but wants to be. She's got leprosy. All that and more coming up in today's episode of The You Project.
Speaker 1: I'm Craig Harper.
Speaker 2: I'll be your host for the next hour or so, So strap in, kick back, hold on, and just have a great ride.
Speaker 1: Hi, Ti the right show. I don't think on the right show.
Speaker 3: We're not on the right track. Hi heart, are you good morning?
Speaker 2: That was me putting on my pretend FM voice that I never had, because no, that's not true. I was on FM on Grubby and DD for a while, but I definitely didn't have this voice because this is fucking stupid. But nonetheless seems to be very popular in the FM kind of space.
Speaker 1: But all that more coming up. How's your leprosy on your right shoulder?
Speaker 3: I can't wait till it's healed, because every podcast starts with you telling the world I have a leprosy on my shoulder.
Speaker 1: It is getting better.
Speaker 2: Actually, Patrick, don't ask what it is because our audience will hate me.
Speaker 1: Because she's explained that the last five in a row. She'll tell you later, mate, She'll tell you later. You trained someone this morning, a little one on one with a lady. How did you go?
Speaker 3: Yep, fabulous, a little bit of pad work to start their Friday? Could you get better than that? Really on Friday?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Just punching shit on a Friday morning? Do women? Some women?
Speaker 2: I know that's a very genuine answer, But do ladies love punching shit as much as or more than we might think?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? They do. And one of my favorite things is teaching someone to box and having someone realize in that moment, on a visceral level, that they've never used their body to create force or boundaries or power. It's really cathartic. Like sometimes do a bit of teaching, throw a few punches, and they'll just look up and you'll see they've had this full body feeling of like wow, that felt amazing.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yes, and it is.
Speaker 2: I guess when you kind of get a little bit of skill and timing and coordination and you hit the pads or the bag or the whatever and it kind of makes a sound, it's like, oh, yeah, that's actually yep, you fucking hit that.
Speaker 1: You fucking yeah.
Speaker 2: You didn't just kind of sadly tap it, like pouring away it, you know, like, ah, but you actually fucking hit that like a.
Speaker 1: Person who's hitting shit. That's a good feeling, isn't it. Oh it's the best.
Speaker 3: It's the best.
Speaker 1: Patrick.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine you being overly boxery, no disrespect. I may be completely wrong. Have you ever hit the pads? Have you ever hit a heavy bag? Have you ever hit a floor to ceiling?
Speaker 1: I think I did it Harper's once, you know when you put that boxing ring in. Yeah, yes, I remember, yeah, yeah, so I think I punched around the ring a couple of times. I think also that I've done. Even if you there, someone stands there with pads and you just punch the pads. It's more a coordination thing than a strength thing. But I really enjoyed that.
Speaker 2: Can I just tell you everyone that Patrick just simulated punching.
Speaker 1: And badly. I'm not a boxer, but fucking now, the wet paper bag comes to mind, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: I don't think you'd get out of it. I think you'd be stuck in there. Can I just say, oh, he's going, he's going, He's get up and.
Speaker 1: He should he should.
Speaker 3: Oh God, he's pulled out a samurai.
Speaker 1: What happens that I have a right behind I do ti chi, I use weapons. That's a serious weapon I have. I do have a license for it.
Speaker 2: To make it clear, Yeah, dear machete police go to Banella knock on his door because that makes a machete look like an icy polstick.
Speaker 3: Taxpayers have paid a lot of money for that to be placed into a certain bin.
Speaker 1: No way I bought that in China. That's my tai chi broadsword. That doesn't seem to me to be within the spirit and energy of tai chi, a weapon that can kill people.
Speaker 2: I'm not a tai chi expert, but you know swords, among other things, patrick are for killing people.
Speaker 1: Well as you know. Tai chi is a proper martial art that we call it a soft martial art. And the ring quite rightley.
Speaker 2: The idea being the it's because you're a soft martial artist. I would love to put you and ring tip in the ring with you without your fucking sword. I would get myself a bean bag, I would sit back with a protein bar or three, and I would ask her just a toy with you for about four and a half rounds and then fucking annihilate you.
Speaker 1: You know what, you know what we would end up hugging.
Speaker 2: We would know, you would know, you wouldn't you might know how to incentivize her. I would just and then I'd put it up on YouTube. Here's Patrick getting smashed by a mostly woman. I like pretty much all women, except for that thirty percent that we talk about.
Speaker 1: I tell all of my tai chiese students that I've won every one of my fights by one hundred meters. I think you've said that seven times, bro. That's my philosophy. It's my philosopher. Look, tai Chi is a slow moving martial art form. So we do punches and kicks, but we do them really slowly. So it's about core stability and balance. And it is a slow moving meditation as opposed to a very.
Speaker 2: Boxing is a fast moving get punched in the phase thirteen times while you're doing your slow moving martial art. It's like, what, how fucking inefficient is a slow moving martial art in a dynamic fight?
Speaker 1: Look, I think we built that muscle memory, right, Ah? What was that? What was that? Ultimately was the Ultimate Fighting Challenge where they put people of all the different martial arts into the ring and you could use anything like boxing or kick boxing or kind of I think it's commonly known as the UFC. Patrick. Yeah, still alive and well in twenty twenty. What was that thing back in the nineties was that the ultramat Fighting Championship. I have never watched ever, ever, ever, ever watched anybody doesn't show at all.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, that's all right mate. You're not here for that. You're here to enlighten us on technology. And by the way, all right, tip, can you tell everyone why Patrick's famous?
Speaker 1: We need to give that a little bit of air time just to keep his self esteem intact.
Speaker 3: Front page of the local rag for being a book nude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, it's the possible reason why. Yeah, it's not Vogue, it's not even Playboy, it's the Morble News.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're more likely to be on Playgirl than Playboy. But anyway, so whatever they are, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: So why are you on.
Speaker 2: The front of the Banella fucking gazette.
Speaker 1: Brand brand the Land? Let's see the Land? I knew it had started with b the rural Rag. Why are you on the front page? Bro? Can I just say slow news Day. No. The reason is that there's are one of the journalists there has been trying to promote our local neighborhood house of which I've been involved with for many years, and I run our local book group, and so just to try to get people more involved in activities like reading, like joining up.
Speaker 2: When you say one of the journalists there, would I be more accurate when I say the journalists there?
Speaker 1: No, come on, come on, come on. And by the way, you're not that journalist, are you. No, I didn't write the article.
Speaker 3: I'm going to put these photos up in the typ group because Kenny did shot that photo.
Speaker 1: What a ripper. This is a handsome.
Speaker 2: Oh Patrick, just and you know what you should do? Host the comment that he said sent to you as well. Screenshot that. Now that we've brought you back down to earth after your meteoric rise in the free press, not so free press, let's talk about technology. I don't even know what this means. Ricking your phone is the new dry January? Does that mean just getting off your phone? What does that mean?
Speaker 1: No, it's a a little bit different than that. There's a little device called a brick. It's like a little a little rectangle a magnet on the back. You can stick it to your fridge and what it can do is it can deactivate apps, so you choose which apps you want to have turned off at nighttime. So it's about detoxing. So January is generally one of those months where people try to go off alcohol, and the idea behind this is to go dry January and not use all the apps, not get all the notifications. So it's just trying to calm down your life by using this electronic device. And so you can set a time period. You can say, all right, so from six pm up until you know, nine am. I don't want notifications. I don't want apps pinging me, I don't want Facebook Messenger, I don't want any of that. And all you do is you take your phone and you just tap the device and then you won't get any of those notifications. So you can still get crucial stuff like phone calls if it's important from someone you know that needs to contact you, but you can turn off all the clutter in your life, all that electronic clutter. When you get pings on your phone, I mean, you'd know yourself. You know there's a notification that comes through. It might be news related, or it could just be social media, and this is a way of encouraging people, and more people are getting It cost fifty nine bucks and it looks like a little It just basically splocks the different smartphone apps. It's a little gray magnet and you just check it on the fridge and you can just kind of keep your life electronically quiet. Would it not just be simpler to put your phone on airplane mode? Well, not necessarily, because then no one can contact you. So exactly exactly my point. But what if Tiff needs to get a hold of you, what if something urgent?
Speaker 2: If Tiff needs to get a hold of me at three am, then she can ring Scott. She can ring the man with whom she is currently tracking Steady as Mary says, she's tracking Square or fuck, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know whatever it is.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the man, the dance with no pants man that she currently almost cohabits with, that one if she needs during me, we're in trouble where I know, like you, you do make a point, well, Mary, if they come like Ron and Mary, that's that's my big fucking hurdle there, right, because that But how have you ever had.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you have but the few phone calls that.
Speaker 2: I've had at three am, they're fucking terrifying because you know this is not going to be good.
Speaker 1: No one's ringing me to chat.
Speaker 3: So okay, I do not disturb on every night. I'm so precious about my sleep that calls don't come through between I think eight and seven am.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a feature on my phone that only allows a certain people to get through. Or you can have a system whereby if the person calls three times in succession, it let's go through after the third. So if it would say the hospital calling and it wasn't a number that you knew, you can have it pushed through that way. So some smartphones have some really good features to help your privacy, but be in a case of an emergency, you know, they can do some amazing things like that. There's a distress button on my phone where if you hit the power button a few times in rapid succession, it calls all the people in my chain of contacts, the ones they're close to, let them know that I might be in distress, and for them to call me. So there's some great features built into smartphones. When we dive a little bit deeper into them, particularly if older people are using them. Some have full detection as well, which is great. You know, car crash detection, so if you're in a car accident, it will know that that's happened and ring people. The problem with Mary's smartphone, and God bless her.
Speaker 2: I mean this in the nicest way. She's not smart enough to use it. I love her, she does not know how to. Of course she's smart, but yeah, she's got a phone that can do a million things, and it's just at eighty six. It's just all My mum taps the phone, so you know how, you just touch it with you. She taps it like a fucking woodpecker. I'm like me, stop attacking your phone, just Patrick, Keeping your bedroom door open at night might improve airflow enough to lower carbon dioxide levels and deepen our sleep. I think that is probably. I leave my door open every night for that very reason, and lots of science telling us. Well.
Speaker 1: I need to apologize first off, because when I stayed at your place last year and you kept your door wide open, I thought creepy.
Speaker 2: But now you're in my fucking bed. What are you pretending that you're in the other room?
Speaker 1: Oh? I see what we're doing here. Well, it's something that I've started doing myself, is leaving. I've never had my door open. I always closed my door, but now I'd keep the door open because it's for airflow. And so real research has been done into this and to seeing what sort of levels of CO two are being generated, because of course, every time we breathe, where belching out carbon dioxide and that builds up in a closed room to the point where it actually can impact our sleep and the quality of our sleep and our health and so effectively turns our room into a co to bubble. And so research has been done. They've looked at you know, they watched people, they measured the levels of CO two in the room, and they found that just keeping that fresh oxygen coming through, allowing you to breathe, helped people sleep a lot better. So do you know what else you could do? Patrick? You could put a yaka on each corner of your bed, A yuker. What's a yucker? I don't know what you are you kidding me? What's a yucker? Tif? Do you know what a yucker is?
Speaker 3: I know what a yucker?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, go on. A plant. It's a plant.
Speaker 2: Plant so they breathe in carbon dioxide and read out for one of the better term, oxygen.
Speaker 1: Crago only when there's light. Plants use up oxygen when it's dark, so they're going to.
Speaker 2: Be don't plants, for want of a better term, exhale oxygen in lights.
Speaker 1: That's how they's photosynthesis. So you leave the light on all night. There you go.
Speaker 2: Problem solved, Okay, and you just replace Yeah, you just put a UV tube in the roof and you're getting a tan, You're getting oxygen. Fucking life is good, except you're going to need to wear those eye shades that you get in Quantus up the point end where tiff flies while I'm down in the smoking seats.
Speaker 1: Imagine this right. So Crago has put all these plants around his room, thinking that it's dark that they produce oxygen. He goes into the deepest sleep ever, and then when they find him five weeks later, he's coveted by I don't know about this. Hang on, let me ask chatters.
Speaker 3: I might. It's literally just chatters and true.
Speaker 2: I love how you doubt me. You're just assuming that I sleep at night. Now that's an erroneous assumption. Fucking who sleeps at night.
Speaker 1: That's boring. Man, Let's talk about tech.
Speaker 2: I xi's auto focusing lenses are almost ready to replace multifocal glasses.
Speaker 1: Oh fucking how amazing is that?
Speaker 2: Auto focusing So they just if you're looking close or far, they adapt accordingly.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, it's really really, really interesting. The technology behind it's fantastic. So these were demonstrated at CES in Las Vegas, so the Consumer Electronics Show, which I reckon I want to go to next year. I'd love it. It's like that'd be a pilgrimage for me to see all the.
Speaker 2: That'd be yeah, that'd be like, yeah, some people going to Mecca, you know, that'd be yeah.
Speaker 1: Exactly because traditional glasses haven't really changed. I mean, multifolk came into the nineteen fifties where they have progressive lenses you know that are slightly different, but people struggle with that. They trip over things, so they're not perfect. But these glasses are designed for far sightedness. So this is something that affects most people as they get older and what they do. And this is the cool thing is the glasses have little senses that sit around the actual lens itself, so around the frame of the lens and they basically use led so photo diodes, so they're very, very low powered, and they can tell what you're focusing on and whether you're looking at something close or far away, just by the way your eyes are moving, and then they can adjust the thickness of the lens accordingly to whatever your script happens to be. This is really interesting stuff. I think it'd be so cool. Because do you use multifocals crago? I do not, but I have my long vision. I had surgery last year.
Speaker 2: Actually twenty twenty four, I think I told you that story. I went to the optometrist and she said, wow, if you don't have surgery. This was in middle of the years. She said, you'll be blind in that eye by Christmas. I went, oh, well, let's have surgery. So I went, fuck, let's do that. Then I've got you know, I can clear my timetable. But so my long vision now is very good, which it was average, and my short vision was rubbish. So my short vision now is not terrible, but definitely not good. But my long vision is good. Short messages, I only use reading glasses now, but I would love I just wonder what the potential consequence physiological consequence is when it's always magnifying everything that you're looking at. I wonder if your ocular muscles get weaker, and I wonder if it acceler rates that like always having everything magnified that you're looking at, versus just like me looking out the window now at the buildings across the street.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think they sound they sound cool though. Yeah. I think that you'll find though the magnification, Like when you're distance looking your eyes. I think the diopter is the distance between your eyes, which gives us three D depth perception. So if you're looking at something in the distance, then that's not going to change because the focal the distance focal point is so far away. So I don't think the magnification makes it different. It's not like you're wearing binoculars. So I think you're still going to get that eye exercise. You're just going to see it clearer as opposed to it doing the hard lifting for you.
Speaker 2: I remember when my eyes were shit. You know what was funny is when I drove to this place to see this lady who told me you're going to be blind in four or five months. She said to me, didn't drive here, did you, and she's like looking at me, shaking her head.
Speaker 1: She's like you did and drive? Did you?
Speaker 2: And she's shaking her head and I'm like, no, I didn't drive. She's like, good because you would not be able to drive with that vision. I went, well, I definitely did not drive.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: She's like, good to know. Then you go out and drove home, right of course? Of course. Hey, do you know what was really interesting about this tech is we're talking about little LEDs, but what they do is they bounce invisible infrared light off the eyes and then they measure the reflection, which is the subtle movement of your eye and how both eyes converge when they're something close. So that's the cool thing about them is that they're really clever tech built into them. I just yeah, I thought they were really amazing. And this is one of the things every year, this Consumer ELECTRICI Electronics Show highlights just new gadgets that are coming out, and this could be really great for a lot of people to be able to, you know, easily seamlessly transition the glass lenses so they're not swapping glasses and having to wear multifocals one hundred percent. The third one on your list under tech I want to talk about because this is funny. So Melissa and I have this running joke where if Melissa's a worry.
Speaker 2: What right she's if she wrings me and I don't answer, and then I don't respond.
Speaker 1: Then thirty minutes or she thinks I'm dead right, you think he died.
Speaker 2: And so sometimes she'll ring me I don't get it. She'll message me I don't get it, and then like two hours or an hour and a half later.
Speaker 1: It's like, are you okay? Question mark?
Speaker 2: You know, I like exclamation mark, And then I just tex back, I died, and she's like, well you like you know when I joke about dying and death and sickness about myself everyone not anyone else. Of course she hates it, and she sent me this, you know, And sometimes if I can't get on to her, I finally get her and I go, did you die?
Speaker 1: She goes, I died. I'm like, oh, well, you sound all right. So she sent me tell people what this app is about because she sent me this, and she goes, this reminded me of you. Yeah, this is taking an app. So this is a storm brewing in China. This is the most popular app in China at the moment, and it's called are You Dead? Yeah, so we did die? I didn't die. Yeah. Yeah, it's such a basic concept. So you need to check in every two days by clicking on a large button right to confirm that you're alive. And if you don't, it's going to get in touch with all the appointed emergency contacts in your phone. So it's just a wave launched last May, and it's just in building all this momentum, particularly with young people, which is interesting. You'd think it'd be older people or sick people, but according to research institutions, there may be up to twenty million one person households in China by twenty thirty, so that that's quite a lot of people who are living alone. And I thought of the three of well, the three of us mostly until Tiff ruined that. I know we would have start so selfish. Oh go get yourself a fucking boyfriend. Yeah, the three amigos is now, Yeah, what what about us?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all right for you fucking dance with no pants four days a week allegedly. Yeah, me and Patrick are still fucking jacking off, so that's fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all right. For you, I've got an actual person.
Speaker 2: Ah fucking now, jeepers, I'm could have put out.
Speaker 1: My eyesight's perfectly fine, Craig, Ah, I haven't needed surgery. Oh god, how good's podcasting? I wonder if i'll get an email about that.
Speaker 2: By the way, if you're listening and you're what, I'm only serious, um um Patrick, and in other breaking you know what actually surprises me about that?
Speaker 1: On something almost serious? Is that a twenty million into one in China two hundred million by twenty thirty. Oh you said twenty I mean two hundred sorry two hundred million.
Speaker 2: Ye, well that makes sense because like we're talking about a country of one point four billion, so yeah, and I would think in a country of one point four billion, tif, can you tell me which is.
Speaker 1: Bigger land area Australia or China? Like I think it's similar. I don't know, No, I think it's bigger. I think we'll just tell.
Speaker 2: Us which is geographically bigger, like land area or actually could you give it's the actual but anyway, give or take, they're both about the same size. But like one's got twenty six to seven million and one's got fourteen hundred million, and no wonder you could get lost or go unnoticed in a in a country where there's one point four billion.
Speaker 3: What's the answer, tive, China is nine point six million kilometers Australia is what.
Speaker 1: Yes kilometers seven? Okay, so yeah it's not.
Speaker 2: I mean it's different, but it's like, so we're eighty percent of their land mass with like one fucking whatever of their population.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Patrick and go. I think the Great Wall of China it could ring all of Australia, not taking into account Tassy because that it would need to be longer, but I think roughly the Great Wall of China is so big it could almost ring the entirety of Australia. How massive is that? That's pretty big? That's pretty big.
Speaker 2: That's tell me about solar panels with photo voltaic windows that are transparent so they just look like glass, and what is it? And up to seventy five percent less energy? What does that mean?
Speaker 1: It produces seventy five percent less energy? What does it mean? Now? Okay, So in China have developed a way to reflect reflect the light coming through the window and the photovoltaic cells around the edge of the window. And because the problem with big apartment blocks is that you've only got a very small footprint on the top of a building. But if all the windows had these photovoltaic cells built into the windows themselves to generate so much more electricity. So it's kind of revolutionized the way. You know, you can look at generating solar solar energy and this is it. It's funny how this hasn't really changed since photo foltaic cells were first invented. The idea of you know, because when you've also got these thick panels, it also helps with energy reduction that you're losing through through winter, so heat coming through. So it's like what they call passive home. So passive home is where you have double and triple glazing, so the window not only generates electricity, but it helps insulate the house as well. I think that's what they're referring to.
Speaker 2: So are you saying that, like the windows in my office could be solar panels, correct?
Speaker 1: Yep, So that's not very cool. It is cool, I know. And not only that, because of the thickness of the window, it would prevent heat loss in winter, so the heat stays inside and conversely in summer it keeps you cooler. So it's serving two purposes by helping insulate the home and generate electricity at the same time. So that's kind of cool.
Speaker 2: About a year ago, I saw this thing on social media which I thought was bullshit, and you're about to tell me it's not bullshit, and it was Cowess's robot horse, and like, yeah, it was like I looked at that, I went, that's it's like the coolest thing and the stupidest thing ever, because hey, just ride a motorbike, but so this dude's riding a robot horse, which looked like something literally from a fucking movie, a futuristic movie there is. It says on my thing, they're going into production. Is that true?
Speaker 1: Cool? Or have you been stooged this? It sounds like it's going to happen. It's Kawasaki did this as a proof of concept, and there's a section of Kawasaki, the motorcycle company that is called Kawsaki Heavy Industries. And so they've now showed off an actual full scale model and they said that they want to start production. It's going to be a little way off though, they're talking that it could be up to twenty fifty, but yeah, it's going to take a little bit of time. But no, sorry, actually no I'm not that's not true. Initial it was twenty fifty. Now they're saying it's going to be twenty thirty, so ok yeah, okay, so yeah, so this could be revolutionary. I thought it looked more like a wolf than a horse myself, just quietly. But if you imagine a really big, giant, robotic dog thing that you sit on. But the benefit of having the multiple legs is that they're an all terrain and they don't need because they can place their feet in different locations, but they're stable as well. It looked amazing the demo that we saw. I think it might have been a mock up thing. I don't know how true. But now they're saying that they can do it, that they'll be able to manufacture it, and they'll have them on the market. Would you buy one Crago? Definitely not.
Speaker 2: Definitely not because I've grew up riding dirt bikes in that terrain, and there's no way in the world a person on one of those could even stay anywhere near me. On a dirt bike, it would just be like, I mean, dirt bikes have big, massive suspension, lots of travel. I can't see how a four legged robot. I mean, you're talking about bikes. Some of those bikes go zero to one hundred k's in three or four seconds. You literally couldn't.
Speaker 1: You couldn't.
Speaker 2: But having said that, I think it's cool as shit. I'll put it this way. If I was six or seven grand I might buy one, But I feel like they're going to be thirty or forty.
Speaker 1: I think this is really where it had come to. The four is in really mountainous areas, so areas where there are no tracks, that are no paths, And I know what you're saying. I've seen people on dirt bikes, still amazing stuff, but that's in such a niche group of people, whereas an average person like myself could get onto this thing and be able to navigate through really rough, steep terrain without the need for the skills that someone on who you know, who knows how to ride a real Yeah, I guess also if you're using it as a horse replacement for one of a better term where you're just meandering through the bush anyway, but you're feeding it fucking you know, ulp ninety eight, not carrots. But also, how cool would it be just to clunk my way down Hampton Street to the cafe and tie that bad boy up outside like the fucking eighteen hundreds, just with a leather strap on a pole, and then just wander inside with my fucking cowboy boots in my hat. Yeah, you did a stetson for that, wouldn't you.
Speaker 2: That It looks we'd just getting under Well, you'd probably need a helmet that looks like a stetson. Chinese scientists recover ninety eight percent of gold from old phones in twenty minutes at low cost, and now over to.
Speaker 1: Patrick, that's seven like an ad, didn't it. Yeah, well, there are so many precious metals in a lot of devices that we use and then throw away. But the problem is to try to recover things like gold from a phone, you've got to use some pretty terrible acids and chem nickels to try to recover that. And now they're saying that this new process use its low cost, environmentally cleaner and it's able to extract gold from electronic waste, and it means that all of the whole idea behind e waste recycling could be transformed by the way that their recovery gets fast and it's cheap, and it's a good wave of not harming the planet with toxic chemicals. So no, it's great because you know, if you think I've got I reckon, I've got about six or seven old phones sitting in a draw in my office, which is terrible. But all those electronic devices have all these precious elements in them that are going to waste effectively but are very hard to recycle.
Speaker 2: Imagine having a conversation at a bar. You meet someone, what do you do? Ah, I harvest gold? Really where from Ballarat?
Speaker 1: You know? No iPhones in my garage.
Speaker 2: I wonder I wonder if we could get someone to get all the gold out of your seven phones that are in your draws and by draws, I mean draws.
Speaker 1: Get them all in my pants? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I wonder what the totality of that gold would be like. Would it be It couldn't be like a tea spoon? Would it be like a matchhead? Or it have to be fuck?
Speaker 1: Or wouldn't it otherwise people would be doing that all the time. Well. According to the World Health Organization, the annual generation of e waste is rising by two point six million tons and is expected to climb to eighty two million tons of waste by twenty thirty, eighty two million tons of e waste.
Speaker 2: It's hard to conceptualize that, isn't It's hard to figure out what that would look like. You know, if you had a one kilometer square space of grass, would it fill.
Speaker 1: All of that and be one hundred feet high? Would it be two hundred feet high? Would it? I don't know, Tad. I can't get my head around that because I don't know what that looks like. Chemical they use crago? So again, mate, you didn't ask me what chemical they use instead of the harsh solvents. Okay, hang on, hey Patrick, what chemical do they use? Well, as it happens, it's potassium peroxy monosulfate. Ah, that one, that old chestnut. Yeah, I had to. I practiced that. I thought he's ask me that. Hey, Well, what I want to say to you is well done, well done, good boy, good preparation. Who's a good little tech nerd? Who's your fucking little tech nerd? You are? You's the best? Look at me? Who's a big boy? Patrick? Fuck? Did I take riddle in this morning? Whatever that is? Maybe I did? Your coffee? People are going to go, and he's on cocaine.
Speaker 2: Trust me, you do not want to I've never seen me on cocaine, but I think I might actually explode.
Speaker 1: Promise made me maybe promise them? Never take speed? Is it? Please? Never ever take speed? They could?
Speaker 2: You and I both In fact, all of us, like we are all fucking weird, like I'm sure our audience really like we are.
Speaker 1: Us three are fucking anomalous. We are not, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Not saying better, like we're fucking human anomalies, Patrick Patrick.
Speaker 1: But in this group, we're all fucking normal.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's why we do this, That's why, maybe why we have no other members. How many people would want to join this group of three fucking everyone because we're great.
Speaker 1: We're great. If you want to join our group, just let us know. In the fucking.
Speaker 2: The whatever the Facebook thingy fucking thing speaking of tech.
Speaker 1: Even Fritz this morning, he's going to tell you what am I not? Am I not slick? Patrick?
Speaker 2: The Eco mind Echo is that a brand? I guess the Echo mind one pro is like a galaxy. This is such a geeky, fucking sentence. No one in the world knows what this means, but you the Echo mine one pro is like a Galaxy Z flip seven without the flip.
Speaker 1: Well, all our listeners over forty five just went next, yeap next. What does that mean? Well, remember, like ten fifteen years ago, phones were getting smaller and smaller and now bigger and bigger and bigger. I had an opportunity when I bought my latest phone, which was a Pixel nine, to buy the Pixel pro, the nine, the larger one, or fifty more instead of five hundred dollars more. And I thought fifty bucks ago bigger nap. Nap couldn't cope with a bigger phone. So instead of getting the deal where I saved five hundred bucks and spend fifty to get a big phone, I stayed with the smaller phone. And it seems like there's a push for people to go smaller. And so the flip phones we're talking about, the Galaxy flip were the ones that are folded in half and you flip the open to make a full sized phone. But this new phone is only the size of half a phone, so it's tiny. It's a little square. Yeah, And I think that one of the things that we talked about this before, with that little you know, the magnetic Tapa that you have to zone out to not have apps bug you all the time because you've got less screen real estate, and so you're less inclined to spend more time on the phone and just use it as a phone. It's still your important notifications. But it's interesting that we've gone to something that's literally half the size of the phone. I think that'd be great to have that in your pocket instead of, you know, walking around with a giant, big, clunky thing that's as big as a brick.
Speaker 2: I concur your honor is that. I think I've seen one of those. They like about as thick as a pack of cigarettes.
Speaker 1: And you and they unfold. This is the z So you're thinking of the Samsung Flips, whereas this is only half the size. Is so effectively that the Flip phones are great, you know, they're really awesome phone because they've got that smaller footprint. But even going even smaller is this company that's basically you know, the Echo Mind one pro is half the size of a Galaxy Flip and you don't flip it open. It's just a little tiny, squearez screen. What's the timeframe? Obi Wan Kenobi on glasses that we wear that bring up all the shit on the screen on the lenses, And I know there's probably a version of that already, But.
Speaker 2: Where you think that's going to be? Where our glasses are the Internet? Our glasses are our phone, our contacts, our video player. Because that's kind of in the works, isn't it.
Speaker 1: There is a brand out there called ro kid r okid and a made of mind just got it shipped. So these literally have just shipped in the last month and it was so much fun to wear. So just to picture this. At my mate's place, he has an older friend. She's in the kitchen, and I put on the smart glasses, which have cameras on them, so it's all AI can trolled. I look towards the kitchen and I say to the smart glasses, can you measure the person in the kitchen to tell me what size the coffin would be the fitter in?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, see that's not dark at all. Couldn't you have just said Joe all money?
Speaker 1: Oh? And did the glasses laugh? No, the glasses went into this whole conversation about how you have to make sure that the coffin slightly digger than the person.
Speaker 2: Look at TIFF's face and like, yeah, did you go how much bigger than the person, like the dead person? Does the coffin need to be And if we got a smaller coffin and squeezed them in, would we save money?
Speaker 1: If so, how much? Yeah? Yeah, So if you imagine the conversations you have with groc and all the you know, the ais, but they're with you all the time, so when you're looking at things, you can talk to them. It has a little green display, So it's not a full hovering, you know, iron Man thing, but it's there's a little display of green and it comes up on display. You can do language translations in real time, so if someone speaks to you in another language, you'll have this text flowing across the screen, translating in real time. So this is with us right now, and that's with the Roken AI powered smart classes. There are other smart classes on the market where you just hear the AI, but this actually displays what it's saying on the screen in front of you, just hovering in front of you.
Speaker 2: That would have to be illegal to wear in a car, right because if you're looking at that shit, you're not looking at the roads.
Speaker 1: So that such how would they legislate around that, because the legislation is nowhere near coming close to the developments in technology. You're absolutely right, Grego absolutely.
Speaker 2: And also I was talking to David Gillespie last night Galespo High Ho Glespo, and we're talking.
Speaker 1: About David Gillespie.
Speaker 2: Well, we're talking about how university these are running around with their undies on their head because they don't know what the fuck to do with AI. Right, because especially like undergrad students who have to write a paper, AI can write a better paper than they'd ever write in two minutes, and then they can say, also make this paper so it can't be detected by AI detectors. Do you know what I mean? Yeah, And it's just they're scrambling. So yeah, there's so many things that are going to have to be navigated and adapted to and factored in with AI. For all the benefits and all the good, there's also the disadvantages where kids can present or students, not necessarily kids, but students can present papers that read great, answer the question, they cover what's meant to be covered, but they didn't actually write it and they don't actually know the content. But they're getting through and this is already happening now where it's just being where people are. I would think there are definitely people now, at the very least being helped significantly, that are getting degrees depending on the type of subject, that are getting degrees that they're not doing most of personally, not doing most of the work for like AI is producing their papers and their whatevers.
Speaker 1: I'm just kind of imagining being wheeled in on a gurney and looking at the bloke standing there with a scalpel, wondering whether he's been AI taught. You won't have to because robots will be doing operation. That isn't true. Yeah, that's a good point. That's that's all right. Would you ask a question, though, the craig, would you feel more comfortable and tiff having a robot operates you than a person? I will I.
Speaker 2: One would choose the robot, yep, And people would not expect that from me. But like, here's the thing with I mean, I would want to see some evidence over a period. I mean, I wouldn't choose it today, but I mean I think if you can look at data and say how many mistakes to humans And it's not that surgeons are bad but how many mistakes let's say, in one hundred thousand operations did these humans.
Speaker 1: Make, how many did AI make?
Speaker 2: And I think that would tell you, I mean, dependent on what the answer to that question is.
Speaker 1: And I would feel, you know.
Speaker 2: Because robots don't get tired, Robots don't have emotions, robots don't need morning tea in afternoon tea. Robots don't have fucking good and bad days. You know, it's like they just do they just do what they're programmed to do. But I think I could be wrong, but I would think ten years from now, a reasonable amount of surgery will be will be done by robots.
Speaker 1: And the crucial thing to bear in mind too is if you live in remote parts of Australia and you need agent surgery, effectively, you could have a you know, a surgeon in Sydney or Melbourne oversea the remote operation, and that's that's starting as well. That that could be you know, life changing, because that transport time to get someone to a capital city could be crucial and that could mean the difference between life and death. I don't understand this next story, but I'm interested for you to explain it to me. Power This is under power on your list. A startup.
Speaker 2: A startup just beamed electricity from a moving airplane to prove we can harvest solar power from space.
Speaker 1: Oh now I kind of get it. But how does it beam electricity? Where did it beam?
Speaker 3: At?
Speaker 1: Two? A laser? Laser bostin power style? Thank you, Yeah, exactly. So it was at five kilometers high. It's five thousand meters. Yeah, five kilometers. That's pretty high, isn't it an altitude of five kilometers and it beamed a laser. So flying a cessna, it was a cloudy, bumpy, stormy day, but they were able to synchronize the laser between the aircraft. This was a proof of concept. They were able to synchronize the laser between the receiver on the ground and the connection was kept totally for that time. So this was done in Virginia, a little startup there called Overview Energy. And this is a big thing because the idea is that in the future, because if you've got solar panels in space, then you're not subject to clouds and the Earth moving and all that sort of stuff and being in shade, and you can basically point this array of solar panels at the sun consistently. Then the idea is that you would beam that energy down to Earth, so you would have receiver stations that you would connect to, so effectively, it's clean energy. There's no transmission cables and you're transmitting power to a receiver down on the ground. And this, ye, it's pretty exciting. So to make this kind of proof of concept, they flew this small, little, tiny Cesna like plane. Have you ever been in a Cessna before? Not a Cessna, but I've been in a little plane.
Speaker 2: When I landed in Vanuatu Port Vila, and I had to fly to a small island and they had to weigh everyone.
Speaker 1: Ye, all of us individually got weighed.
Speaker 2: There was like six people and a pilot who I guess also is a person, and I was one hundred and nine kilos. And the little man, the little man from Vanuatu, who was gorgeous, he said to me, you're too fat, and I.
Speaker 1: Went, what do you really think? No, I white say that.
Speaker 2: Ah, he said you're too fat. You're too fat, and I'm like, okay, And what he meant was I'm too heavy. Like he wasn't actually of course trying to be rude, but yeah, And they had to weigh all the baggage figure it like, it's basically how much to the bags way? How much to the people weigh? How much is the pilot way, what's the capacity? How much fuel have we got to get on board? And I'm like, I hope you're fucking good at maths because our lives depend on this sum And I don't know.
Speaker 1: I must have just made.
Speaker 2: The cut by a kilo because they let the fat bloke on the plane. But again, good for my self esteem, not an issue at all, Patrick tell us, let's do our last one. I'm interested because I would love old fashioned controls on my car. Car manufacturers are being asked to bring back old fashioned knobs and sliding things so we can turn up the volume on the bloody air by sliding a knob or turning a knob.
Speaker 1: I mean, let's just have knobs. Well, there's this Australia in New Zealand has a regulatory authority that looks its car safety and what they've decided is that they've set up a program and they have announced from twenty twenty six they're going to be putting pressure on car makers to bring back buttons because and I've observed this and made of Mine's got the tank here the Chinese and it's just one big screen in the middle. And quite often when we're driving along, he's got to flip through multiple screens to get to a certain control. Okay, admittedly it's a massage control of my seat, but he's going to press about full buttons and go through different screens. Now the issue is, though, there are certain crucial controls that we use in our car all the time, so whether it's indicators, turning the heat up, air conditioning, those sorts of things. And I know with my car because I've got a lot of analog in my car as well as electronics, so I've got heads up displayed, but I've also got knobs and buttons, and I can instituitively reach over and turn an ob and turn the volume up, you know, track forward on whatever I'm listening to. I can turn the heat up or down because there are physical buttons to do that as well as on screen. And now that we've gone so far away in one direction where you're effective they've got a big iPad sitting in the middle of your dashboard, they're now realizing, or it's thought now that this is actually too distracting when you're trying to do certain functions, and that we do have certain analogue features returned to cars. So this is going to be and I don't think this is Australia New Zealand. This is coming up around the world. The last episode we talked about those flush door handles that are problematic because you have a car accident and potentially the door handles can't be opened because they're electronically controlled, so if there's no power going to them, you can't open the door. So those sorts of things where we've got almost too clever for our own good. And you can see in this instance where it makes sense to be able to use tactile feeling, to be able to do whatever you need to do in the car without having to look away from the road. Yeah, yeah, I love that tactility.
Speaker 2: It's funny like I have a cheap little car which I drive most of the time, and a nicer, fancier car, and the nicer fancier car has got not a fucking knob insight and yeah you're driving, yeah, or the only knobber is in the front seat. Yeah, okay, again back in therapy for Jumbo. But I actually love driving the little Suzuki because I know where everything is without looking to see where it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I know how to turn on the AC or to increase it or decrease it, or turn it off.
Speaker 1: Or or you know whatever without having to scroll through stuff too. Yeah, that is a very very valid point.
Speaker 2: Like you think about it, like you're not allowed to use your phone, which you know how to use really well, but you're allowed to use this computer in the middle of middle your dashboard, which would seem to me to require much more focus and attention than using your phone.
Speaker 1: You know, when they relaunched the Mini a few years ago, the original Mini had the speedo and is sitting in the middle of the dash and Atradian authorities made them put a second speedo in front of the driver because they felt that looking off to the side to see what your speed was was too distracting. Yeah. Yeah, and now screens, Yeah exactly. Well, I feel like that was a good little chat go.
Speaker 2: I'm going to give us a four and a half out of five. I think there's a room for improvement, but overall, tip great work, even though you're probably very tired. Patrick also good work from you, great preparation, great list. I'm going to give you also four and a half and jumbo fucking outstanding.
Speaker 1: Outstanding. Yeah, of course I'm giving me a five. Patrick. Where can people find you websitesnow, dot com, dot au if you want to just have a chat and if you can think of something that you'd like us to talk about, to debate in a mass way, just yeah, just fill out the form on the website, you know, websites now, dot com, dot au.
Speaker 2: I'm not even gonna I'm not even gonna hume you by extrapolating on that little double on Tondre. You just slid in there that Tiff didn't even get or maybe she did.
Speaker 1: And if you have a huge.
Speaker 2: Amount of money and you are reckless with your money, but you want abs and shoulders and you want to train with almost a one female, she's at least seventy Tiff is available. She's the only hybrid trainer in Melbourne. And so fucking that's a good story at parties, apart from the results you'll get in the gym.
Speaker 1: So hit her up as well. Patrick, It's been great TIF also, you know, just terrific. Thanks so much,