Speaker 1: The public has had a long held fascination with detectives detective sy aside of life. The average person has never exposed her I spent thirty four years as a cop. For twenty five of those years, I was catching killers. That's what I did for a living. I was a homicide detective. I'm no longer just interviewing bad guys. Instead, I'm taking the public into the world in which I operated. The guests I talk to each week have amazing stories from all sides of the law. The interviews are raw and honest, just like the people I talked to. Some of the content and language might be confronting. That's because no one who comes into contact with crime is left unchanged. Join me now as I take you into this world. Before her brother Eden was murdered, Jessica Brown was already fighting for change in the justice system. She already dedicated her career to helping disadvantage girls, giving them a chance to break the cycle of destitution and abuse through mentoring, education, and crisis intervention. Then Eden was murdered, and everything she thought she understood about violence, loss and justice suddenly became very personal. In this episode, she takes us inside her fight for change through her work with Sister The Sister and Worry a Woman, along with the work she does on the Serious Offenders Review Board. But that's not all. As you know, if you're a regular listener of the podcast, Anthony Jones, the man who murdered Eden has been released from prison. Here what Jessica has to say about it. Jessica Brown, Welcome back to part two of I Catch Killers.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Well we got through through part one. I hope it wasn't too tough.
Speaker 2: I was a bit emotional, but yeah.
Speaker 1: I know it's a hard subject matter when we're talking about the murder murder of your your brother, But that's okay. As I said, I think it's remarkable how you processing it and the work that you're doing that we're going to talk about now. But I suppose when we think of your brother, how do you think he'd be looking down there this now and what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Then, Yeah, he was so proud of what I was doing. He was and him and his mate. You know, if I was ever in the article or in the newspaper or anything like that, he'd cut it out and put it up. And so yeah, he's really really proud of his big siss. I think now he'd be looking down now and being he would love be a bit toughed that he is still being talked about, and also that I've started my second charity to be able to help young young women, you know, to help them turn their lives around, so that they don't end up on a really really negative trajectory and end up having children and lose them to fostercare system and you know boys. Yeah, it's like a revolving door, so which is also helping boys and girls, you know, like Aj, he you know from his story for those people who've watched the podcast would know that he had you know, he was up against it since from day on.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the type of work that you were doing before what happened to Eden, and then seeing the impact that AJ's actions had on your family and had on you, and then realizing that the work that you're doing could possibly steer people away. We're finishing off part one. We're talking about how as a school teacher, and I don't know, that just made me feel sad but also happy for the kid that you showed a bit of interest in at school and turned his life around. And now you get discounts at JB. How cool is that?
Speaker 2: I know he's a beautiful kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but okay, you're a school teacher. When did you decide to make the big, big move and how did that occur?
Speaker 2: As I said, I loved I taught out in the Western City for ten years, so I probably taught Glockenspielt too, some underwhelmed kids. True story. So yeah, I had this entrepreneur spark in me that wasn't going away. And for some reason, my dad was an entrepreneur and he had his own travel business for many, many years. So that spark was I wanted to do more than teaching. And I saw many young kids sort of dropping out of school and we wouldn't see them again, and the welfare system as well, so I saw gaps. So I decided to start Sister and Sister, where we match at risk teenage girls with mentors and we help them and support them through mentorship but also education. And so we would do school not school camps, but they were camps and it was a year long program and we would give them these wonderful women who were there to support them, to guide them, to be their cheerleader, and to give guidance. Many of the young women that we worked with didn't have there were identified as not having a strong female role model in their lives, some in jail.
Speaker 1: As we mentioned, how did you how did you find the kids that you wanted to get on the program?
Speaker 2: So docks and facts.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you literally out of the education system and starting this business.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so it was a full Yeah. They were hardcore kids, especially on camp. Lots of fun stories. What ages thirteen to eighteen? I thought I'd stick with the ages that I knew, which was high school. Yeah, age. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It give us examples a game without identifying the kid, but the examples where you look back and think, yeah, we worked, we made the difference.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's so many. What they would do is they would come to us at the very beginning of camp. We'd have four day camps and they would literally be walking in and none of them knew each other, or some did, and they'd be like, all right, who's going to be in my crew, Who's who don't want, I don't like, and who's going to give me grief? And of course you got them all in cabins together, and they would the first day they'd be a bit, you know, testing us out, and then the second second day they would learn to because they didn't trust anyone. They're like, why you I keep saying to me, why are you being so nice to me? Because they thought you had some sort of ulterior motive. A lot of them have groomed a lot of them. You know, bedtime's not safe, so nighttime duty, which I always do.
Speaker 1: I've heard a lot of people who have been victims of childhood sexual abuse and see the same thing. Why anyone that's nice to me is trying to take something from me? And that's what they used to I know, that's a horrible thing that's implanted in their mind by these predators, and.
Speaker 2: That will always stick to me. And then once they realized, you know, by day three, that we're actually literally there is no ulterior motive, that we're literally there to support. And they're used to having caseworkers as well, which and when they find out that their mentors of volunteers, they're like, oh, okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, and what type of people were volunteering to be mentors and role models.
Speaker 2: Most of the corporate women, so corporate women who may may not have had their own children, who didn't feel like they were had that connection to community. I mean a lot of them were mums as well, but from corporate world where they felt like, oh, you know, cutthroat had a lot of lawyers and bankers and things like that where they felt, you know, I'm not really contributing to the community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can understand the attraction to helping out like that.
Speaker 2: A very competent women as well. We obviously gave them extensive training, you know, so that they were equipped because they're pretty hardcore kids. But also again they would buck up and you know, I had them in camps, you know, setting curtains on fire, and I learned what huffing was for the first time. I had no idea what huffing was. Like the whole room could have died because they all decided to huff. You know that they're for anyone who doesn't know what huffing is, it's breathing in asphyxiating toxins from an aerosol can.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So they definitely kept us on our toes.
Speaker 1: And what was the reward and punishments? Like how did you manage that? Like, I know, yeah, I'm thinking if it's a boys camp, the men be staying the hearing for it without laying a hand on them. But the threat, but with girls can be harder because girls sometimes they don't respond to the threat of violence, so they just throw it, throw it back at you. So what how did you control them?
Speaker 2: I think just having boundaries, really really strong boundaries for them and just again you know that your behavior is not you not happy with your behavior, pulling them aside and just knowing that they are here, they're you know, the severe trauma and stuff like that, and so the mentors stepped in and you know, were there to support and guide them. But yeah, we had some we had some fun times. We had a great team that I worked with and we would would call it seamless, you know when there was everything was going to ship. Yeah, that's seamless. I just had this wonderful team. You know a lot of them who worked in frontline sees and Ambulance Australia and so I had some really tough team leaders who so each of each of them had the girls that we had had a mentor and then they then the mental a team leader and these were pretty one from the army as well. So we had some pretty tough Yeah. So I think it.
Speaker 1: Was just.
Speaker 2: Keeping them busy. It was really really important to keep them busy so that they couldn't you know escape, yeah, literally, yeah, we did have one try once, but the campside where we were out is quite remote, so it wasn't really far for them to go.
Speaker 1: What sort of changes did you see in the girls during these programs?
Speaker 2: It was transformational by the end of day four really yeah, absolutely, yeah, absolutely, where they just we just immersed them in fun. We would do you know, a whole lot of skit night, like the teams would do dance routines like things like that. But you know, we had a corporate challenge that came out and did activities with them, and then we would have some motivational speakers, but ones that had had lived experience, who've turned their lives around. And so by the end of the four days, they just love It's like a love fest where they all just love each other, that they love their mentors and they're really really excited for the twelve months ahead.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the four days is okay, this is what so offer. Let them have a taste, and then you've got the twelve twelve month program continues on what sort of things do you do with them. Maybe that twelve month.
Speaker 2: Period cyber Safety Body Image consent a lot of setting goals and achieving them. So we'd get a lot of Olympians out who would talk about goals and things like that to motivate them. So but a lot of keeping them busy. But we had just an amazing, amazing response from that program.
Speaker 1: And where did you take the kids from after the four days and the ongoing stuff? Where were the.
Speaker 2: Kids we would have We would have activities, so we do their educational part in the morning, and then we'd do something like in the afternoon like rock climbing or Luna parkles, you know, something to get them there. Look, that was the lure to get them there to do something fun because there's a lot of the young women just didn't have you know, a lot of them had not even been over the Harbor Bridge.
Speaker 1: Before and that was their home environments just didn't provide the things that you were providing.
Speaker 2: So at the end of camp we would get a lot of disclosures. So obviously, being mandatory reporters, we have to have to report that. So a lot of as I said, most of the girls came from dogs and facts. But then there was some. I had one who was part of and her sister had gone through the program. One of fourteen children all from mum and dad, same mum and dad, and I had to get them all removed, like it was just the whole whole family removed. So that didn't go well because she had disclosed what was going on. So married. I mean, we had some really loving parents, but we had young cares as well, so young some young women who were caring for their parents who had mental illness.
Speaker 1: See, this is a side of life unless the impacts on you personally, you don't even think about, Like there would be kids out there looking after their parents, whether it's drug dependency, alcohol or mental health.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or looking after siblings as well. Once where they just mum's not quite with it and it's been on a vender and is now asleep for three days, you know, and they're going through cupboards trying to find food.
Speaker 1: And it is quite often and I don't know what's in our makeup the boys compared to the girls, but these quite often the girls that take up that responsibility, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, But yeah, the mentors played a really they play a really integral part in it. Our mentors are just incredible.
Speaker 1: When they finish the program, do they get any acknowledgments or is there any ongoing communications or contacts that you have with them?
Speaker 2: So ninety percent of in terms of sisted a sister, ninety percent of our mentors continue to support them beyond the program. And that was a longitudinal study that we did after ten years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, Well that says something, doesn't it. Yeah, everyone that connections here, that's strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm on Facebook with half of them as well, like those hundreds of them, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get a sense of how busy you are. That would be part of it. So how many young girls have gone through the program?
Speaker 2: Sister to Sister was about three hundred that went through because we don't have small groups of twenty five, so there'd be twenty five mentors, twenty five mantees and then a team of sort of ten so that was enough for a camp to manage because they were tough cases. And then we'd have sykes. But that was Sydney and Victoria right that we ran it. We ran it out in Warriby area in western Sydney where there was a lot of need. So yes, we've done Sydney, Victoria.
Speaker 1: And with that many girls going through over that long period. Have you seen the success from it? And the success give us a couple of success to what.
Speaker 2: The best thing? They become great mothers. You can see them that they've become great mothers and gone on to university and or you know, got jobs, you know, didn't end up jail. Yeah, so there's lots of varying degrees, but the thing that touches my heart is that they've gone on to be very good mothers.
Speaker 1: And that's important because you like a good mother, a good father as well, we should should say, but like a good mother can be so grounding for the family.
Speaker 2: We do a lot around you know, relationships, what are the red flags of a bad relationship good relationship? And that's kind of carried on to the Warrior women as well. It's just more of a maturer age group.
Speaker 1: So what was the evolution to warrior women.
Speaker 2: After seventeen years? It was spurred on by Eden's death. After seventeen years, I was running that I wanted to do obviously that entrepreneurial spark, but I had so many girls coming into the office. Used to have an office up here on Elizabeth Street for seventeen years, and the girls, once they got to eighteen, would come in and they'd want help with stuff, and they'd come unannounced all the time. Can you help me with a tax piled? Now?
Speaker 1: Can you help me with this?
Speaker 2: I've just been you know, foster care ended. I've just turned eighteen. So I always knew that gap was there, But then I did a bit of research and it is one of the most unserved gaps apart from vulnerability of older women at fifty five becoming close to being homeless, but one of the most underserved gaps. And so I obviously knew that I knew how to run a mentor, so started an all mature mentoring program.
Speaker 1: So this is where they might be in home care, foster care or whatever. They turn eight And you said, it's gone the twenty twenty one now, But okay, we've done all weekend for you. You've got all your life skills now, regardless of what your life skills are, and we turf you out and then they end up the homeless or dig something, all in prison invariably. So okay, so you worried a woman, just how do you fund these programs?
Speaker 2: A lot of writing grants and doing fundraising events and things like that, so that I spent a lot of time doing that.
Speaker 1: I would imagine you'd have to, but I would hope with the type of program that the money people could see the sense in them and we come back down to monetary considerations. How much it is to keep these kids in custody exactly compared to what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So yeah, we based the program on the self determination theory, which is really so I do a lot of evidence research around it, and so we do the connection to community, which is something that they're missing. And then all the life skills the way I describe it, every skill that I wish I learned when I left home at eighteen, and then and then mental health support. So we do all three of those, and we have a real strong focus on financial literacy because one of the fastest growing cohorts in Australia is women fifty five who you know, maybe going through divorce and becoming close to homelessness. So we've got a real housing crisis. As you know, you do for these women and what I don't want them to do is to become one of those statistics.
Speaker 1: So you're trying to educate them financial independence.
Speaker 2: And I mean if they know how to manage them. A lot of them may come to us and say, oh I let someone else manage that. No, and we teach them about the red flags of financial abuse. It is a bit hard sometimes to get them excited about tax and super because yeah, let's face it, I don't get excited about that either.
Speaker 1: No one likes likes tax and they're super. Well, it's not until you get older. Will you think they were right when they told you to sign those forms? Yeah? Exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so we're trying to teach them all the live skills to be able to stand on their own two feet. But the number one thing, and going back to what you said before, is education or employment. So we're very very much around, you know, helping them get entry level. We've partnered with Laureal Care Stars, so we have really strong affiliations with Westpac who do a lot of our financial literacy sessions as well, so really trying to partner with them and Optics as well. The girls get each of them get a twelve month subscription free for their phone so that they can keep connected with their mentors because you know, sometimes they're alway, I'm out of credit and blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Yes I know the type. But yeah, education, employment, and to me it's a lot about self esteem too. Yeah, and that's what education can bring. And we don't all have to be university graduates, but just have a level of education that you feel comfortable in conversing and doing all the things that you need to do.
Speaker 2: We've got one young woman who grew up in out of home care and an Indigenous girl, beautiful girl nominated by her school teacher and who's not nominated quite a few the young ones to our program, and she is now studying criminology wow Canberra University and we got her a scholarship to university. How fantastics are So that's just one, just one of the menu. Because they are older, we've got more of a success rate. Like with the sister and sister it was more keeping them on on the track, keeping them at school, whereas now it's you know, what are you doing for a job, because you know, if they do find themselves in situations of coercive control or financial abuse or end up having to leave a situation with children that they know, they've got that confidence in themselves that they can hold down a job, they've got an education and you know, be able to carry themselves.
Speaker 1: I hate saying that. You see the lot where women are trapped for a variety of reasons in relationships or in circumstances that they haven't got the confidence or the financial backing to actually step away and look after him, look after themselves and step away from something that's a bit toxic. So all all good stuff. How how do you identify the people for warrior women?
Speaker 2: So there a lot of self nomination. By the way, thank you. I I've got a tattoo of it on my leg just recently. So that's commitment, right, full commitment will kill me? Said no tattoos, eating had a lot of tattoos, said don't you dare get one? So that I've just the cats out of the bag now.
Speaker 3: So warrior women, okay, So yeah, casework is still a lot of self nominated Or we have a partnership now with the University of Western Sydney, and so there's young women who who are at risk of falling dropping out of university who've started university, but I have still going through the trauma of their childhood.
Speaker 2: So trying to Headspace. A lot of them through Headspace, different other services that we've connected with. So yeah, it really ver.
Speaker 1: You talked about the Indigenous girl that's now studying criminology. What are some other examples you've gotten no Warrior Women, that someone that's come in and their life for all intents and purpose, heading in the wrong direction and managed to turn it around.
Speaker 2: I think the ones with severe mental health issues. And when I say severe like suicidal ideation and things like that. So I think the giving them the opportunity to get therapy around that. We have some amazing therapists during our during the course. So obviously it's all about education and we got that pillar of mental health is helping them to manage those feelings and thoughts and that might impede on them being able to hold down a job or study or things like that. So I think so there's a lot of.
Speaker 1: That mental health treatment comes into play through Warrior Women. You have psychologists on board.
Speaker 2: We we do have psychologists. We also link them into a whole range of services as well, so we were a link in the chain.
Speaker 1: Because that's the other thing. People don't know what services are available to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot out there are varying ones. A lot of the social entrepreneurs I know who've started them up and or running them. So it's really about educating. That's what we do at the very beginning of the program is we go these are the services that you use, and we train the mentors, like we're literally in the process of training the mentors. They just did lifeline training on Saturday, and we give them all the resources. Should their mental ring them up, you know, God knows what hour and say all right, these are the services you need to ring because we want them to become independent, we want them to be able to you know, but we're there to support them. But the good thing about Warrior Woman is we've just gone national, which is amazing.
Speaker 1: So we've got to start off South Our.
Speaker 2: Sydney, Greater Sydney and then we branched out to Newcastle last year and so now we're going Nashville, which is fantastic.
Speaker 1: And if someone wants to get to get involved or reach out or just find out what it's about, how do they find you.
Speaker 2: From our website, so Warrior Women or social media, just follow us on social media. That's what a lot of the young ones do want to insta, but it's Worriorwoman dot org dot are you yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And so how long has that been running? For me?
Speaker 2: Six years? I started in COVID February twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Great timing, don't mention those years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was great timing. So yeah, So we've been running the programs for six years and we've had some really big philanthropists back us, which which has been fat like. It's still a hard slot getting funding. So if there's any philanthropists out there listening, we still need lots of money.
Speaker 1: Were on a true crime podcast. Let's let's get it, get it.
Speaker 2: The more money, the more money we have, the more girls. It's three thousand dollars per girl to put them through the programs. So the more money we have, the more girls we can help.
Speaker 1: And you see, you see the benefits at the end of it. You've been doing it six years now, so you were the same people go through the.
Speaker 2: Wed We have young women that come back as in a leadership role called Kindred Warriors. And we had this amazing, amazing young woman who could not live at home and I met her in a refuge in the Northern Beaches and she she was just recently on TV for US. She had was living with a caseworker and she she was actually studying law. So she was very smart, but she could not live at home because of a lot of circumstances outside of her control, and so she was able to she was nominated for the program. So I remember going out to this youth service. It was a crisis, she was living there. And she has just gone on strength and strength and strength. She's gone on to study overseas exchange student for her studies in Canada, and she's now come back as this extraordinary young leader who is just rounding up all the young women and just yeah, we just did. We've done some incredible fund raises and she when she speaks, you can hear a pin drop.
Speaker 1: Just incredible, impressive, impressive people to go.
Speaker 2: From living at a refuge to finishing a law degree, and you.
Speaker 1: Think of the changes that makes exponentially like one person, but now she's influencing other people. And the ripple effect of getting someone's life in the right direction, or the alternative is we just don't worry about it. And when they fall feil law, we're going to lock them up and put them inside and spend a great deal of money and have them come out and do the same thing. Yeah. Yeah, it's impressive and good on you for doing it. Do the politicians support it? Like I know, the breakfast at State Palm, You've got an invite there, so they're they're listening. But you're getting the support that you think people fully understand the benefits of what could be done.
Speaker 2: There's more work to be done. I've got my local politician, spender, Tanya Pli has been a great supporter of us as well, especially with sister did A sister as well, so she she's and then I've got a friend who ran for the House of Representatives, Savannah Peek, who's not well known, but she will be. She could be prime insturun day. So yeah. So so getting there.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, getting getting the message out yeah okay. So in your not so busy life and I'm being sarcastic there, extremely busy. How did you find yourself on the Serious Offenders Review Board?
Speaker 2: Well, I was looking up board jobs because I was like, okay, I'm fifty five now. I was like, I probably should start because I'm not busy enough. Start looking at you know, maybe getting on some Actually that's what it was. I applied for the New South Wales Women's Boward and they said they actually wrote back to me and said, very impressive. You know, you know, working with women and girls. But you know, the people that we ended up taking are on at least two or three boards and I don't even been on my board for that long. So I thought, oh okay, and they recommended that I actually you could do a board search and you get these alerts when they come up, and a lot of them are for things that I wasn't that interested or wouldn't have benefited given, you know, it didn't really interest me. And then Serious Review Council came up and I was like, hell, yeah.
Speaker 1: So tell tell people what that is. Those that might know I obviously know, but you tell people.
Speaker 2: So the Serious Offender's Review Council is an independent board that gives advice to corrections and the bail Board. Basically we're governed by the Minister who will appointed us all and there's that's made up of three parts. We've got judicial staff which are on the committee and they are people who've been on the bench basically or still on the bench or but most of them are retired judges. And then we've got the community group, which is where I fall under. And then we've got another correctional staff or could be current correctional staff or which have been appointed by the Commissioner and stuff like that. So there's three types of people that are on the board. Our job is to obviously give that independent advice to them as to the classifications and recommendations of inmates and to basically to see whether they're behaving, whether they're heading towards you know, getting out on parole, should they their parole period be coming up soon, so things like so we interview them. We have been out to quite a few jails to meet them.
Speaker 1: And without identifying the crime or the person because I imagine you would have been speaking to some notorious people. How was it sitting down actually speaking speaking to them and knowing the crimes that they've committed just from a personal point of view?
Speaker 2: First of all, Yeah, look, sometimes their persona doesn't match your perception of what have done as a crime without going into detail, but you know, you can met I've met serraculars, I've met matters, I've met people have been part of terrorism and stuff like that. And then yeah, most of them men, but I've learned. I learned what a ship is. Yeah, you know, I thought it. I thought actually my very first time, I thought that I was going to they were going to be in shackles for some reason. But no, not at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I think that confronts a lot of people in prison, like people think of prison, Aka, well they're behind the bars now when you're walking around in prison, you up, Sorry, I didn't mean the bump in your killer or whatever. Yeah, it would have been an experience for you, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you know you say that the type of crimes you know, these people have committed, and then the persona they're put in across. That's scary in itself, isn't it Because you want really bad people to look like really bad people. Yes, and some of them, some of them fit the stereotype and they could be cast very much in their crime. But other you look and think, okay, what crime did you commit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, psychopaths and sociopaths, which is grouped antisocial behavior. They're very very manipulative, so some of them can be very charming. Yeah, they're obviously talking to us as well, knowing that we're going to make recommendations. So they're kind of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you'd have to go in there because they are manipulative or they can be, and the charm they can put that on too, so you would have to be really have your guards up and alert of what's going on here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the fascinating part for me because obviously the judicial staff are very well adverse to the actual sentencing part of it. The correctional staff are very much helpful in you know, okay they need to do, say, for example, violent offenders therapeutic program. There's only certain jails that offer that course, so they're really helpful in that way. And then for me, it was the psyche behind reading the psychology reports and you know, I'm fascinated, which is why I love your podcast. Fascinated with human behavior.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting, isn't it, Just to.
Speaker 2: See what made them? What was it? And you know a lot of childhood abuse, you know, no, you know, guessing there and a lot of mental health issues as well, so fascinating stuff. But yeah, it's the human behavior that I really fascinated me the most as to you know, what made you do this crime?
Speaker 1: In your conversations with them, again without going into too much detail, but was part of it them acknowledging their crime to you and this is how I've changed. And yeah, I don't even recognize the person I was twenty years ago when I committed this horrendous crime. What sort of stuff comes out.
Speaker 2: Let's just say, AG's a rarity. From my experience. I think. Look, I think there would be people who are completely remorse. But you know, that's another thing that I is. You know, I do a lot of research on not acissistic personality disorder and all of that, and to see whether they've got that remorse. A lot of them just want to get out of there, to be honest, they just want to get They just want to get it over and done with. We don't have that long to chat to them. But I think there's ones that do want to get on the straight and narrow, you know, where we have to say to them, Like this ex judge that was on the community. She was amazing, much more experienced than me, and she would say, you know, you want to get out of jail, mate, but you've you know, you've got fifty two offenses that you've done in the last twelve months. So a younger guy, so you know, those things like that but you check their urines as.
Speaker 1: Well, Yeah, for drugs or yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all part of it as well, to see whether they've been on the straight and narrow and that if they haven't, then that's a conversation that we have with them as well. So it's yeah, it's a.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a big, big role you're playing when you're talking someone's someone's freedom. I always felt you felt the pressure of it. As a police officer. You had the power to arrest someone and impact on their life. What you're doing there. Were you conflicted at all because what you've been through in your own family? Was that? Were you the two sides of you? Or did that make you better at doing that job.
Speaker 2: I would always think about the victims, yeah, always, And we have to read thousands and thousands of pages and it wasn't something that you could kind of just skim through because I felt like, there's victims.
Speaker 1: And this is the impact that's had on the victims. Yeah, okay, and the victims had had a place there like.
Speaker 2: The not so much they were listed, but yeah, they're not.
Speaker 1: A place there. But did you have documentation of what the victims are feeling?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, we didn't happen to have that at all, but it was very much the what it happened. Yes, Yeah. And also another thing that was really really interesting is that we got to see whether they had visitors. You know, there's some in there who've been there for a very long time and some that don't want to get out, and then you have a look at their applications and if they've not had a visitor visit them in twenty six years.
Speaker 1: People think this is strange, but I've seen a lot that people get institutionalized to the point where jail is their life. They're a big man in jail, have they got the reputation, or it could be a woman in jail, and they've got their reputation, they've got their standing within that community. Then they get let out and they're just this homeless person that no one really knows or cares. And you're not the guy that survived twenty years and the toughest jail. That type of thing. So a lot of that, Yeah, it's sad, isn't It's well, it's depending on the crime they commit. I have gone that soft, but yeah, you do see that the people that is their world that they know, and the point that you made about how many visitors. I think it's in the Nordic countries where they look after the prisoner's families, as strange as it sounds, make a big effort to keep the prisoners in contact with their families and actually help out the families why someone's inside, because they've worked out that for someone the chances of not reoffending if you've got a family to come back to that you're still part of and the family's going well, less likely that you're going to end up back in prison. Now perfect sense, But other people might argue it's counterintuitive what you're looking after the family of someone that's committed to offense who's in jail. But what most people don't understand, or they understand it's not that complicated, but I don't think appreciate, is that most people in jail, say ninety five percent, will get out of prison, Like, there's not that many people in there for life or that die in jail. So what we create in there, we're going to release back in the society. And so it's in now interest to have a structure for them when they get out get out of prison.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And that's one thing that like I said, before, you know, before everything happened and doing this work, I was very much you know, throw them in, lock away the key and let them stay there forever. So but it's they get out.
Speaker 1: And I'm glad that you acknowledge that. Like I didn't think a lot about what happened in prison when I was in the cops, Like, yeah, that my job was they're in prison, who cares? But speaking to people that have been in prison and getting to know them quite well since I've left the police, it's given me a greade of understanding of the importance of what goes in there. And it's another way of fighting crime, like the stuff that you're doing preventing it. I think we can really make a difference in crime how we treat people in prisons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it's conflicting. There's going to be people who have really conflicting and you know, and I'm saying this from a homicide survivor, Yeah, well that's right. So yeah, I think I think it's well, do we want them to reoffend? No, just do I want anyone this had to happen to any other anyone else's family knows.
Speaker 1: That's that's the point. That's the point we're trying to make so if anyone's going you two idiots, you're gone soft. Yeah, they should be in there breaking rocks and eating eating bread. We want less victims. If there's less criminal, there's less chriminally, But that's the way that we look at it.
Speaker 2: And they've got that in the Hunter Jail, they've got the pod this is you were part of this, Yeah, breaking badness.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Macquarie Correctional Center the work. When that was the prison I went to. I was really impressed by, really impressed by I know in the Hunter Valley that they're doing the same thing. I just see really as a no brainer. And the interesting thing is, because I've got to speak to a lot of the inmates in there in the time that if I spent in there, they know that jarl won't work for everyone. They're saying, look, some people take the piss. If you put them in this shold, they'll play the system getting here and it's not going to change them at all. But a large percentage of them will buy into what they were trying to do there, making them have the skills where they could walk out of prison and integrate back into society better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had a lot who wanted to be put there. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was the preferred prison for them to go to because apparently they you know from watching your show that you did, is that they are treated better than well, that's coming from their mouths. And also they yeah, like you know, and your stuff up once and you're out.
Speaker 1: That's right. And I learned so much doing that podcast series and spending time in the prison.
Speaker 2: Then it was fascinating.
Speaker 1: I found that it was fascinating too, and it really opened my eyes up up to things that you put them in a let's call it a traditional prison, and this is what the inmate that's a saying. You open that cell door, you walk out in the yard, you're going to bridge up. You don't know whether you're going to be you're going to come back in the live or in one piece. You don't know what was going to happen. And speaking to some of the prisoners in Macquarie Correctional Center, and there were some heavy people in there, like yeah, it wasn't cherry picked all the easy prisoners that will just put them in.
Speaker 2: This maximum Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: We're not all sitting there singing kumbai ah, but they're in there and they said, look, we don't need to do that in this place, like if your stuff up and the other thing I found really interesting and this was the psychology of it that was explained to me when I came in there, that they give them rewards up front. So they got the rewards up front, and if they misbehave, they lose their rewards. Now, normally you go in the jarl and you start with nothing, but if you behave yourself and you're a good boy for six months, you'll get a TV or yeah. Yeah, they build up here. They come in. The opportunities are endless. They can study, so they've got stuff to lose. Rather than they study, they work. They all live in a dorm and the dorm had I think thirty or so prisoners in the dorm. I went maximum security. I thought, that's going to be a blood bath in there, Like you know, you're not putting them in the cells. Know, they're all within this dorm. And they had a yard out the back of the dorm where it had a cage over it. Like the security was all still very much intact, but they could sit outside to nine o'clock and they had some boxing equipment there, punching bag barbecue and they could actually and some of the inmates said, this is the first time I've been able to see stars or a night sky. And little things like that. They keep them in contact with their families. They get more access to that education work, and it gives them a sense of purpose. And the other thing that came across was the respect that the corrective services officers shows to the inmates, and the inmates give that back in return. Yeah, in most prisons that's frowned upon. You. You know, it's blue or green, you're one or one or the other, and you don't don't do that.
Speaker 2: But another scan Scandinavian model was it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it was based on things that they've tried over there, so it hadn't got to the point where we see what the recidivism results are. I don't think they've got all the research data available yet. I might be naive to this, but I don't think I'm that naive when I'm talking to people people in prison, and there were so many people in there that I could see the benefits from that type of custodial sentence and the benefits for them getting out. It wasn't funny. So hopefully they will buy into that.
Speaker 2: Hopefully in time we'll be able to see whether that model works.
Speaker 1: Because you talk about the classification, was that part of you're on the board as well that you have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if they behave themselves just putting it for lack of better words, you know, there would be recommendations and there were certain periods of time where they were eligible, and so we would have a look at there and make recommendations to the commission. We'd meet with the Commissioner and then we'd make recommendations to the Minister and you know him we would say yes or no depending on the recommendation. But it was sometimes that there is a time period where they obviously you know, if there unsentenced, then they go to sentenced and then you know they so it's based on behavior, whether there's been any incidences, the urines, you know, things like that. But yeah, there is a time frame for them to move down and then they can eventually once they get to like you said, Another thing too is you know, if they hold down a job, how they're going with their job. Have they been fired from their job? They don't earn very much, but it's you know, they have they done that? And also you know, have they done their courses, because they really can't leave. They can't get out on parole unless they've done their and their particular courses. And so the salkboard is very much around recommending what courses that they need, and some of them get suspended from them. And one day they had a whole lot of them that had been suspended from for whatever weren't able to finish it. But they can't get out basically, and that's we don't. They have to do these courses. So there is an education before we.
Speaker 1: See and we say and people go, oh, yeah, but it fails. Yeah, it might fail, and it might be fifty percent that doesn't fail, but it's worth improving that fifty absolutely. Have you heard of Rainbow Lodge?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay had clawed on talking about even working in prison, that if you paid paid a basic wage like for working in prison, that might inspire you. So when they do walk out the doors of prison, they've got some money to set up a home and to find not a home, to find accommodation, a roof over their head, and give them enough time to find find employment, all those type of things. I really it's opened my eyes to different ways, and you know, you're a big part of it with the advocacy that you're you're doing different ways of fighting crime. Have you heard of it was down in Victoria Fruit to Work. Yes, yeah, how cool is that? I know?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Awesome?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: So there's so many entrepreneurs doing some really really fantastic stuff.
Speaker 1: And that was a simple and I think it was panic Stephen Fannick that I had on the podcast. I had that one. He It was a simple process of when someone's released from prison, he gives them a job and fruit to Work. The name of the business was they were delivering fresh fruit to offices and different things like that, but just teaching people how to turn up on time, dress appropriate for work, get a sense of responsibility, develop a CV. And they would only work for six or twelve months with them and then they would leave. But by that time they had a CV. They didn't have to say, well, what have you been doing for the past five years? Nothing, this is what they've been doing for the past twelve months, I've been working and all that little things like that. I think it's such a good idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, and it just gives them a look at reintegrates them back into society, because that's half the problem with recidivism, right, is that they find themselves out on their own and don't have much services. We've got Jo Coon, who we know from confit, who's got an app now for people getting out of jail so that they can tap into a whole lot of resources, which is wonderful history. So yeah, I think it's important to help that transitional period, which yeah, I mean, look at aj he's got a second chance now, so he.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's yeah. And look, I I was scared before I phoned you. When I was, I'm not scared of me, I hope I was scared. I'm thinking no, okay, all right, okay, just be brave. Doll the number, and Joe gave me your number. But there was something that there was quoted in. It might have been when he got parole, or it might have been something that sentencing day. Sentencing you said two lives have been destroyed. And just on that one thing, I thought, Now I looked at the work you've done. I thought, well, if anyone I've got the phone, you're you're probably a good person to start with. You'll at least understand where I'm coming from. But the fact that you said two lives have been destroyed, Like most people wouldn't have the generosity of spirit to even even consider that. But yeah, that came from you guys, and that's powerful.
Speaker 2: And that's where he get sworn by the media the other day. And I was like, go and ask dad, because Mum and Dad are like, no, no, we'll speak to the me, not you. Just and then but they just went Dad was I don't know. We had a lot of friends there that day, so and so I kind of on the spot, had to come up with something. So I'm glad. I'm glad I came up with that. But yeah, it's true, Like that's what I'm not saying. It's two lives. Like a j may as well. Well, whilst he's hasn't been great for our lives, he's got a second chance and he I know he says he doesn't deserve it, but I think everyone has deserves a second chance. Just yeah, so long as he keeps on track.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, that's the thing that you've said in long conversations that we've had that you know, the worst thing could be that Eden's life was taken and the person responsible for it has learned nothing and they's come out and going to do that type of thing again. So if any anything that can give some piece that, Yeah, Aj is trying to turn his life around.
Speaker 2: And there's ones that do get out that show no remorse either.
Speaker 1: When you see that that type on when you're on the on the board, how did you react to that or just sort of shake your head chat? Do you get to speak to them and ask them questions like.
Speaker 2: This particular one is very high profile. Yets out on Australian story. So a guy who tried to kill Lauren Huxley like he That was the whole reason I can talk about it is because it's out in the media. Yeah, just.
Speaker 1: That was a horrific crime. I remember the time of the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so on Australian story. Yeah she's yeah, but she's she's doing okay, she's doing well. Yeah, brave girl and great family support. Yeah, those those parents are amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was I know the police involved in that, through the whole whole office felt touched by that. It was a horrendous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she had five percent chance of living, so she was a fighter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah for sure. And there's there are horrific crimes isn't it, And yeah, that's what we are. We can't we can't forget. Yeah, we can talk about ways of steering people in the right directions preventing it if we can. Great, But the there'll always be that evil out there. Given what you've seen in life and the good stuff, like the light in the darkness where you're turning people's lives around, but the darkness surrounding them, because you would have heard a lot of reports about people being abused as kids and different things. How do you retain your faith in society and humanity.
Speaker 2: I just think there's so many, so many more good people in the world than there are evil. Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's so many good people in this world. So yeah, I think that's what stilles my faith.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're far far away the evil people. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you're a good person. I think there's been a few awards come your way too, just quietly.
Speaker 2: Ah, yeah, I've had a few.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Ok, I'm going to put you on the spot. I boil it up. You told me that some of the awards that have come your way.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was nominated for New Southwest Australian of the Year. That it feels like forever ago. Yeah, New South Wales Woman of the Year. Yeah, well welcome.
Speaker 1: Yeah there's five a few, but you've been humble here. But look the work that you're doing. Most people don't do that. I know the impact If you get involved in traumatized people's worlds, which you are with some of the things you're doing, it can be tough and you carry a lot of weight and you've been doing it for a very long time, so.
Speaker 2: I know, I feel really old now, don't.
Speaker 1: You hate that we're only twenty one? Yeah, but no, full credit to you, and yeah, I know we speak of Joe how highly he speaks of you as well. And I think it's remarkable and thanks for coming on today.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I just the moment we started talking, I thought, no, I want to get you on the podcast. I couldn't believe some of the stuff you've done. But you've got a perspective of crime that most people don't have. You you've seen it in so many different different ways. So I think it's been enlightening the chat and all the best for the future and what can who can we give a shout out to your businesses or whatever.
Speaker 2: Let's do it a woman, dott are you just get on the website. If you know someone who needs help a young woman, please nominate it away. Now is a good time. But if you want to donate, please feel free to go on the website. Sounds like we need your money.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a worthy cause to me. Thanks very much, all the best, keep up, keep up the good work. So hello to your parents too. They see my.
Speaker 2: Characters, Yes they are, they are. They're beautiful people. But thank you for helping me spread the word too.
Speaker 1: Cheers,