Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Monday, March sixteen, twenty twenty six. Australia's biggest manufacturers are warning of cost hikes and even rationing of industrial goods like plastics because of the Iran War. There's talk of petrol rationing and concern we might run out of gas. Four of the Iranian soccer group are on their way home, and there are allegations the remaining three Lionesses are under pressure to also go back to Iran. We're following that story and the war itself live right now at The Australian dot com dot au. Cryptocurrency titan and occasional astronaut Russell Wilson has an incredible story of bouncing back from multimillion dollar fraud on his company Coinspot. But when we try to track him down for the list Australia's Richest two fifty, Wilson proved elusive, which made us even more intrigued. That's today's story. Angelica Snowden is a business reporter with The Australian and this year she's involved in one of my favorite parts of the Australian it's called the List Australia's Richest to fifty each year. It's a list of obviously billionaires. And one of the things I love about the list is that you John Stenzelt, the editor, and some of our other reporters have to actually hunt these billionaires down, but don't actually want us to tell the world how rich they are all the time.
Speaker 2: As it happens, apparently some of the time they don't, which is actually pretty interesting. I think you might find that many of the people who are involved in the list are very happily interviewed, and you know, they get pictured on yachts or you know, on their private jets. Perhaps, But as it happens, the fellow that I was reporting on this year did really not want to be involved at all. His name is Russell Wilson. He is a crypto billionaire. He's from Melbourne. He's pretty young, he's forty four years old. I think many people would have heard of his company, Coinspot, which is one of Australia's biggest crypto exchanges. But Claire, I don't know if you're involved in crypto.
Speaker 1: I'm hoping that crypto will be like non fungible tokens that if I ignore it for long enough, it will just go away and no one will ever talk about it again. So I've been waiting about a decade now with crypto. I don't I don't know what these things are going away.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It seems to not be going away. And if Russell Wilson's wealth is anything to go by, I think it may have a very strong future. So, you know, essentially, Russell Wilson launched his company in twenty thirteen with you know, a couple of one hundred customers. I imagine it very quickly grew to a few hundred thousand a couple of years later, and today it is Australia's biggest crypto exchange platforms by a lot of people. It's very well known. As I said, the company is well known, but the man behind it is really not. He's virtually anonymous. He has gone to extreme lengths to keep his identity private, completely private.
Speaker 1: Is that because he's worried about his safety?
Speaker 2: My colleague and I, Liam Mendez, spent a number of months really trying to track him down and to work out why he wanted to keep this level of privacy. He says it's to protect his family. He ultimately did supply us with a pretty short statement to a very very long list of questions that we had. But I think what you might find interesting, Claire, is that while on the one hand, he really really strives to privacy, on the other hand, we actually tracked down a video of him in space on Jeff Bezos's spaceship In a similar way. Did you hear about Katie Perry Drick?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm hoping that she kissed the Earth when she came back. She's sang a really cringe withy song while she was up there sing did he kiss it? Did he wear a skin Sight blue jumpsuit?
Speaker 2: Indeed he did, He absolutely did. On his jumpsuit it does say R. Wilson, But in all of the press clippings about that particular mission, he's referred to as an anonymous six crew member. So it's a really really bizarre kind of story here. You know, I'm a business reporter. A lot of my stories come through courts and court reporting, and initially I heard about this on another podcast. It was really all about this fraud that affected coinspot. But what was kind of the missing piece in that podcast was who was the man behind this company, and as it turns out, it's Russell Wilson, who is from suburban Melbourne, and that's really where I my interest in this story first kicked off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it involved a scammer, an Englishman living in the city of Blackpool, which is a seaside town in Lancashire, famously bleak and wind swept, like most British seaside towns. I must say, what was the scam, how did it happen?
Speaker 2: James Parker, who was at the center of this fraud, lived in a mold infested flat and he was poor, you know, living in poverty essentially, but he discovered how to exploit coinspot and mister Wilson's platform. What it involved was taking bitcoin from the platform without actually buying it.
Speaker 1: James Parker has now passed away, so he never actually faced justice for what he allegedly did to Coinspot, but that must have been devastating, not just for Russell Wilson, but for the few hundred people at that stage who had their money in Coinspot.
Speaker 2: Absolutely again going back to my interest in this story, after listening to the podcast, we sort of worked out, well, where's Russell Wilson's voice in all of this. You know, this is his company. He nearly lost the entire company at this point, you know, a few years ago, and now he's worth one point one billion dollars. About forty million dollars was taken out of this platform, and as I understand it, it was customers bitcoin. And in court documents transcripts that I've obtained from the UK, we've got Russell Wilson's account of him trying to negotiate with the scammers in real time about how to get the money back, and he described it as literally the worst week of my life. That's a quote that came from these documents. And what we discovered was that in a nightly reconciliation process, Wilson, who is very involved in the company, discovered that the reconciliation was out by millions of dollars and ultimately learned that this glitch existed in the platform and that it had been abused basically, and forty dollars had been taken. So what he then embarked on was this intense back and forth with James Parker, James Parker's financial advisor, who has now been jailed over this scheme. And you know, it's an incredible tale. He I think his first and last conversation with James Parker was while James Parker was being wheeled through an airport on a wheelchair from the UK trying to go to Jubai, you know. So he really thought at that point like, I'm going to lose this company and I'm going to lose all of this money, is what he told the court. Ultimately, the money has been returned largely and UK authorities have through proceeds of Crime, got all of the cash most of the cash back is what I understand. But it's pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: What do you think about bitcoin having absorbed this whole episode.
Speaker 2: I guess it's you know, again, like you, I do not dabble him in bitcoin or cryptocurrency by any stretch. I think maybe Liam does, but I, you know, maybe we should ask.
Speaker 1: Him it's be getting paid too much.
Speaker 2: I think that those concerns, you know, that's what the concern was ten or five years ago, right, and I think that's what the concern remains as far as I can tell. I should say that in response to our questions, you know, Wilson said they're really focusing on the security of the platform and that they insist you know nothing like this is going to happen to the platform again, and that they work with regulators and authorities.
Speaker 1: Now coming up, why did Russell Wilson's team threaten to call the cops on the Australian. So tell me about your and Liamb's adventures kind of tracking him down. What did you do and how did you find him and what did he say when you eventually did.
Speaker 2: Russell lives in Berwick, which is about an hour drive sort of southeast of Melbourne. When you're there, you feel like you're in the country. It really doesn't feel like you're close to any kind of city. He really didn't want to talk to us. We tried the old fashioned sort of approach of knocking on his door, except you can't really get to his door because it's got like huge gates. There's a security sort of guard always stationed like outside of the house, but in the sort of perum at us. So, I mean, look, we're doing our jobs, right, We've obtained all of this information. It's really our job to be able to put this to Russell and to ask him what he wants to say and if you can tell us anything else. But ultimately he wouldn't, and we tried walking up to the gate a number of times. We parked our car outside and were approached by security guards a number of times, you know, Liam in particular, told to leave, told that the police have been called.
Speaker 1: We just want to put you on the rich list man.
Speaker 2: It was pretty extreme. We did get some pictures of Russell walking out of his Fried Chicken shop, which he also owns in Mary.
Speaker 1: This is the hilarious thing about it too. He looks very sort of furtive, and it doesn't look good. It would have been better to stand still, have a lovely photo taken. We could have organized some hair and makeup for him. You know, it made him look good, put him on the cover.
Speaker 2: Hopefully he will talk to us one day in the future. So I don't know if he's listening, but I really still want to talk to you if you are.
Speaker 1: I always find it intriguing that Johnston results time is spent persuading some of the billionaires to talk to him, and then dealing with the others who are very keen to talk. He's had some hilarious covers of that magazine where people are posing up in dressing gowns that he had a bunch of billionaires in a pool recently. What does it tell us about wealth and about Australian's desire to be seen to be rich.
Speaker 2: You know, we live in a social media world. We live online, our lives are played out online normally. In this case it's the opposite. Coinspot really doesn't have much of a presence online. Russell definitely does not. Their entire sort of company and the people behind it are just anonymous. And I think it's very unusual to find somebody who has this much influence and power and money who doesn't want to be seen to be using it perhaps or to be partially known for it.
Speaker 1: Angelicus noden Is Business reported with The Australian. Thanks a thank you, Claire. You can read Ange's story right now at The Australian dot com dot au and the list Australia's Riches two fifty will be published on Friday