Speaker 1: Late Welcome to the Late deb Base. Good evening and welcome to the program. I'm kayleb Bond with Joe Hildebrand, who's trying to do the cryptic crossword and Liz Storer. What's coming up in the show tonight? Karjackings through the Roof in Victoria will tell you who is responsible for the majority of them. It may will shock you the amazing cost, huge cost of taking the queen off the five dollar note. It costs a lot of money. It turns out to trash, the monarchy. And the dog that decided to take on a croc, We'll show you that on the front of the INNT news. And the former Queensland Premiere gets himself into a powerlifting competition. We'll show you how that went a little bit later. Now you know, if you're a regular viewer of this program or any other program on which I appear on this network, that I do not like counsels. I have it in for them. I have had for a very long time, ever since I started as a local government reporter in Adelaide about a decade ago. And with every passing day there is just yet another reason I think we must be up to five hundred and fifty seven, two hundred and forty nine, now why they ought to be abolished? And tonight it comes in the form of Liverpool Council in Sydney.
Speaker 2: Where would you.
Speaker 1: Believe they have managed to spend more than three hundred thousand dollars investigating sixty seven complaints made by councilors about other councilors in just six months. This was in the Sydney Morning Herald today. They reported that the council urged the New South Wales Office of Local Government to intervene after report found staff had received these sixty seven complaints about councilor's conduct since September, more than a dozen times the number of complaints in all of twenty twenty three twenty four. So that means sixty seven complaints in six months up to March when they received this report, and five in the financial year before that. I mean, here do you go from five plaints to sixty seven complaints? The Sydney Morning Herald suggests this may have something to do with a stout between the me and Ned Balloon and his political rival Peter Ristevski. We shall find some of that detail out in the wash.
Speaker 3: I suspect.
Speaker 1: But these sixty seven complaints, fourteen of them are currently under investigation. Fourteen are being reviewed externally. That's code for we sent them to lawyers. That's what they're paying all this money for. Twenty three are being looked at internally and only four of them were not back for having no basis whatsoever. There is also a public integrity inquiry coming up into this council in June. They're going to have public sessions to discuss whether or not this council has engaged in misconduct after reports that came out last year. And you'd have to think, Liz, with sixty seven complaints on the book to the tune of about three hundred and forty k in legal fees, there's certainly something they need to be dealing with at this council.
Speaker 2: These people aren't fit to serve.
Speaker 4: What kind of narcissists do you have to be to take up this.
Speaker 2: Much time of council staff and all.
Speaker 4: Their efforts to sort out your petty squabbles amongst each other, rather than just being grown up adults who are elected to serve, And that's what you're supposed to be spending your time looking after. They all run for local government, being like I just want to make our patch a wonderful place to live, to grow up, to have a family, etc.
Speaker 2: And so on.
Speaker 4: And then they get in there and they're so consumed by their own in house rivalries and bickering and pettiness.
Speaker 2: They're chewing through hundreds of thousands.
Speaker 4: Of rappayer I was about to say, tax dollars whatever. They're chewing through all this money, all this time that that council staff could be spending on running the jolly council.
Speaker 2: It's just ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Get a life, get a life, your losers grow. You're elected representatives now, and this isn't what anyone elected you to do.
Speaker 5: It's embarrassing, Joe, It's just amazing. It's just so incredible to watch. It's like a tiny it's like a mini sort of Donald Trump's thing happening just right for us in southwest Sydney. So the background of all this is you've got this kind of firebrand or not fire brown, but like colorful local identity if you like, called Ned Manoon. Who's this little sort of pocket rocket dynamo guy.
Speaker 3: He's a liberal.
Speaker 5: He's governing an area which by rights should be Labor heartland, and we're seeing some of these shifts at the federal election as well, you know, with things like die Lee coming in in the seat of Fowler right, run by Frank Carbone as the mayor of Fairfield, pretty similar to Ned Manoon. I saw Ned last week at the Daily Telegraphs Western Sydney Forum.
Speaker 3: How ain't it?
Speaker 5: But you know, he's been accused of a lot of stuff. He's basically run the council. I think he got in in twenty sixteen or something, so he's held on to this thing for dear life, when technically he sort of should be from the opposite party. And a lot of these people were former Labour who then go to Liberal, but I don't.
Speaker 3: Think he was anyway, So he's got this. So he's got this.
Speaker 5: Hold on the council and there's this massive kind of feud with this guy Ristevski, as you say, and Ristevski has obviously fallen out and then set up this Facebook page.
Speaker 6: Accountant this is the Twisters, right, So instead of this Facebook page, he's called Ned Manoon all sorts of mean things, including a criminal grab Ned Susan.
Speaker 3: The lawso doesn't work.
Speaker 5: But again to that, this guy is Deadnoon's former accountant.
Speaker 7: Now, if there is anyone you don't want to get offside, if there's anyone you don't want, I mean my accountant.
Speaker 3: But god knows what I do. I can't even add up.
Speaker 7: It's your former accountant and is out there going wrong, bagging away on social media. Is there at the council yelling at They yelled at each other at gauther of meetings. It's just bonkers, but I love it. I can't help it.
Speaker 1: If anyone knows where the body's are buried. The accountant, right, he certainly knows. And you know I was my accountant, can you believe called me up some years ago and said, Caleb, I've got a couple of horses I think you should buy into. I mean, when your accountant starts telling you to buy horses with him, you should probably go and find another.
Speaker 3: By bye bye.
Speaker 1: I did buy and look, one of them was all right. The other one was a dad and we had to sell him. But there no offense. Peers. I'm not saying you're a bad account You're a fantastic accountant.
Speaker 2: And a good friend as well.
Speaker 1: Terrible, but seriously, if they cannot get over this, stuff and just act like normal adult. How do the rest of us deal with issues in now know we go and talk to someone and actually sort it out. And surely if you are a counselor and you're putting yourself up as a public representative, you're doing so because you think you have something to offer. And if we've got to offer, is spending legal fees on your dispute with the guy who sits next to you in the meeting.
Speaker 5: Another great fun fact about Liverpool or a council by the way, So they got twenty thousand dollars of money that was intended for local grants and instead they gave it to Lebanon in the middle of the conflict between Israel and Hamas and Hezbela. And then they realized after they die it they had nothing left in the community grants program. So they wrote a letter to the state government asking the state government if they could pay the twenty thousand dollars that they just given to You've got getting me absolutely serious, absolutely serious.
Speaker 2: Hopefully the rate guys around forever attention.
Speaker 4: But they just had their election in September, so you've got a long wait to get rid of these bad apples.
Speaker 2: Well, yesterday we saw the Liberal.
Speaker 4: Party ditch Ben Britain, an Australian Army veteran, from running for the siege of Whitlam in New South Wales.
Speaker 2: Why I'm glad you are. They said he has.
Speaker 4: Controversial views inconsistent with the party's position.
Speaker 2: The most, the one that media has banged.
Speaker 4: On about the most is him saying, as a former army vet himself, I don't think women should be serving in combat positions.
Speaker 8: Here he is, but we've got the best toys, the best gear, but the personnel is at the worst level it has ever been. That's the direct result of Defense Force recruiting, lowering of standards in particularly to allow females into combat roles. They said they'd never do it, it'd always be the standard and we would have to pass the standard. Ever since they said that, they've dropped it because they want a thirty percent quota of females.
Speaker 3: If we're going to.
Speaker 8: Fix our defense force, unfortunate, they're going to need to remove females from combat cause. And that's not an attack on females that I serve with some of the greatest females in the Defense Force, tremendous people and I'm very, very glad to have met them and known them because they made my life better knowing them.
Speaker 2: I ask you, how is this not just common sense?
Speaker 4: It was very controversial at the time the change was made back in twenty thirteen, with many people who still recognize the vast physical differences between men and women saying hey, maybe women don't belong on the front lines. And even as a culture issue, it really changes things when bloats have to accommodate for the fact that women are present in these really hard, embattled situations when it was normally all blokes to account for. So what other controversial views has been Britain said? I refer to the Guardian article. Among Britain's other claims express on the prodcasts are Number one, exposure to pornography leads to gender dysphoria AND's transgender desires. Well, depending on the type of borne he's talking about, that's approvable fact, pornography shape's tastes absolutely. Number Two, Labor intentionally keeps some election trits poor to have a better chance of winning them. Is that really so outside of the liberals realm of possibility? Number Three, Australia should look at the Isle of Man for lessons on introducing a flat tax rate to attract billionaires.
Speaker 2: Well, I love an ideas, guy, I'm.
Speaker 4: Still waiting for a firable offense here, Peter Dutton. Number four, the education system has brainwashed young Australians with Marxist ideology. Well, hardy a men from me, and I'll wager all of you at home, which begs the question why was this.
Speaker 2: Guy stood down?
Speaker 4: I'd love to see a guy like this in Parliament, but no, Dutton has said just yesterday he's turfed. They've already replaced him because of these oh soo controversial views. Pay attention to what the supposed Conservative Party here in Australia considers controversial.
Speaker 2: That's all I can say.
Speaker 1: I don't see the issues. A bloke says, I don't think women belong in combat. I mean, is something wrong with that? And look, if there is a woman out there who can meet the standards to get into the military. I'm talking before they lowered the standards specifically to allow women in. Go for your life if that's what you want to do. I'm not here to stop anyone from joining up to the military, but why would we voluntarily make it harder potentially for other people in combat. I'm talking about their fellow defense force personnel. If we have to pick up slack because you've said, okay, we're going to lower the threshold so we can allow women in, so we can tick a box to say where we're living the Dei lifestyle. I don't see how that's good for the world or women, to be perfectly frank, I mean, when Jijingping sends his mob down or anyone else. What, We're just going to send out any old lackey woman who wants to go out and fight. I don't see what's good.
Speaker 3: Imagine it would be sending everyone we possibly could.
Speaker 1: The thing and this is what should be considered, of course, is if you lower the standard to allow women. If conscription ever came back, and there's a possibility if you were in a war with a country like China and you need it as many people as possible, there are a lot of women out there who don't want to go anywhere near a war who may will have to do so because we lower the standards and say off you go.
Speaker 5: I don't think we'll be heading for the sort of war that has conscription anytime ever in the future, you'd want to hope not that's right, because humans just can't do what robots can do, and so it doesn't matter. But like, I'm not particularly outraged by anything this guy said, and whether you know this is an example of him whether he should be sacked from a regular position that he might hold doing whatever he does, you know, outside of public life. But the fact of the matter is, as he's becoming very very apparent in this election campaign, is that these sorts of views are not mainstream, that most they are.
Speaker 3: I don't think so they are.
Speaker 1: Don't you think most people want to put.
Speaker 2: Women in the world.
Speaker 3: Chipper at war? No, I think most.
Speaker 5: I think most people would think that women should have the right to perform all the same duties in our force physically can't.
Speaker 2: So you know the stemiological reality.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think he is.
Speaker 5: Actually he's actually saying that he's said that he's the clip he said that he doesn't like the idea of sending beautiful women off to.
Speaker 2: While he stands simply said why would you want to? In another part of the podcast, he was like, why.
Speaker 4: Would you want to? Women are the backbone of society. We produce children. Nobody else can do that, Why would you say, why would you send them off to all?
Speaker 2: I don't think that's objectionable.
Speaker 3: As I don't think it's all.
Speaker 2: It's certainly not a fireable offense.
Speaker 3: No, But it's not a matter of whether it's fireable.
Speaker 5: It's a matter of whether he is the best candidate to win the hearts and minds of the voters of the seat of Whitlam, which is currently held by Labor by over sixty percent, and that's after a swing against it. So so look, he's not going to win anyway. But the problem is for Peter Dutton. And again I don't know why it takes so long for this to dawn on him, that these kind of things that are out there's incredibly unpopular with women. This is why he had to drop the working from home policy. That's why he had to drop the I'm going to sack forty one thousand public servants policy. This comes up in focus groups, privately and publicly. It's presumably come up finally in the Liberal Party's own focus groups and research, where it was found that this is actually such a massive, massive problem that they've had to take the incredibly humiliating step of completely publicly reversing their position. And when you have a candidate like this who says I think women, beautiful women should be at home being the backbone of society or having babies or whatever, and not in the front line, that is that is deadly for done and that is why they have done well. You might think it's common sense, but the vast majority of Australians I don't think, I.
Speaker 2: Genuinely do believe that at all.
Speaker 4: I think the vast majority of Australias, if they're honest with themselves, like, yes, women cannot do what men can do on the front lines of combat.
Speaker 2: That is inarguable.
Speaker 1: It's literally and I'd also argue there are many things women can do that men can't do, including having children, though apparently that's not the case these days. The bloke who has replaced been written as the Liberal candidate for Nathaniel Smith is a good bloke and he lives locally, and I think he'll be a good candidate. But I just don't know.
Speaker 4: I just think the point is the very fact that this is what we call.
Speaker 2: The Conservative Party here in Australia.
Speaker 4: Turf to guy of reviews like that, I'm like, okay.
Speaker 2: Well, i'd never run for you anyway, But.
Speaker 4: If I was thinking about it, I would have ditched that when I read this story, because that is unacceptable. What a sham of a Conservative Party, what an absolute sham.
Speaker 1: While we're talking about Dutton reversing things, we saw a policy reversal today of course on working from home and sacking public servants. So of course previously he had said about working from home that public servants in Canberra ought to be back in the office. This was Peter Dutton last month.
Speaker 9: I think Australian taxpayers, who are working harder than ever under this government and barely keeping the head above water, I think they expect the government and the government employees to be working as hard as they are, and people refusing to go back to work in Canberra is not acceptable.
Speaker 1: And as recently as the Budget reply speech at the end of last month, he was saying we need to gut the public service. We need to get rid of the forty one thousand extra public servants that the Albanese government has added to the ledger Well.
Speaker 9: Reverse labors increase of forty one thousand camera public servants because it will save about seven billion dollars a year. That's money that we can provide back to the Australian people in frontline services.
Speaker 1: Well, you ain't getting your seven billion dollars anymore because Peter Dutton has worked enough today and decided we got it all wrong here. He was speaking in Adelaide this morning.
Speaker 9: We got it wrong and we've apologized for it. We support flexible workplace arrangements and our plan, which was only ever targeted for the public service in camera labor has been able to crowd into a scare campaign.
Speaker 1: So what's left? I mean, well, we we'll just roll it all back. I suppose next week there will be no policies left whatsoever. Stick to your guns right now. The argument here is supposedly that people everywhere thought that this was an attack on working from home and that Peter Dutton was somehow going to walk into their private sector offices and drag them home or from home into the office and if you don't do it, you're going to get in big trouble. He can't do that. He's talking specifically about the public service. We're in a position now, Joe, where the public service has Peter Dutton so tightly by the grulies that in the middle of an election campaign, he would drop a policy that he was talking about ad nauseum for months.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 5: And again it's just it's just I think it is utterly.
Speaker 2: I've talked to that.
Speaker 5: Many people on both sides who just literally cannot remember anything like this coming out in the middle of an election. Came I'm so sorry, this centerpiece of our election platform was actually completely wrong.
Speaker 3: We'll never do it again.
Speaker 5: It's like the saying the fish card wonder where the bad guys hanging John Clice outside the building by I'll never apologize and never pod I'm so sorry I was completely out. And again, this is what happens when you and the left had the same problem as well. And they do it as well, and I've railed against them, but this is what happens when you do not stress test your policies to make sure that the mainstream community is on board and not just your usual sort of cheer leaders. And it's what happens when you don't wargame. What happens when your opponents attack these policies because that is exactly what they're going to do an election, and you say they were just for public servants in Canberra and bureaucats in camera. That's absolutely right, but that was not the narrative that was being pushed. It was being pushed as public servants full stop. And the fact that they were being cast as being lazy kind of skyvers not work for working from home. That implied that anyone else who was working for home was actually just taking the piss and wasn't really working, and that obviously people take that to be an insult. It also suggests that the government when it gets in, if it's not going to allow public servants to work from home, then it might start to make people in the private sector or make rules for people in the private sector or whatever to come back. And the other thing that happened is it got confused with all the growth in public sector employment full stop that has been driving employment growth in the country that everyone's.
Speaker 3: Been talking about.
Speaker 5: That's right, not just bureaucrats in Canberra, but nurses, cops, teachers, aged care workers which are covered federally, soldiers. We're talking about people joining the army and suddenly apparently in the seat of Herbert, which covers Townsville, there were actually military per us now going hang on a minute, am I One of the forty one thousand that he's going to sack am I one of the one of the ones who won't be able to work from home if I want.
Speaker 4: But there's a messaging problem, right, It's like you literally announced this ubut policy that everyone.
Speaker 3: Was supposed to like, yeah.
Speaker 4: We're cutting the fat, he's doing a doge, go for it, Dutton, and instead you sold it so dismally everyone who works from home or all these people in the public service were like, wait a minute, does that mean I don't have a job if Dutton gets in for crying out loud?
Speaker 2: Libs do better.
Speaker 4: Caleb and I were at the races on Saturday and I tell you what, Hi to everyone who came up and said hello. But the amount of people we had come up to us and say, what the hell are the liberals doing?
Speaker 2: You call this a campaign?
Speaker 4: A lot of people think we have a direct line to Dutz It simply ain't.
Speaker 2: So I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: We might be able to haul him out of some of this if that were the case, but unfortunately we don't, and we're like where like deer in a headlight, just being like, well, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's pretty bad. I got to say, well, if we're at.
Speaker 1: A point now where people I don't call it working from home. I call it shirking from home. Get back to the bloody office. We've got people who're sitting around in their pajamas who think they ought to run the thanks to the government.
Speaker 2: You're like a million people.
Speaker 4: You've started this government your major bed.
Speaker 1: I know, but always people want to sit around in their pajamas at home and this is now the thing that gets dart and to turn around. I do have to ask you, though, Jo, because your best mate Chris Mins has this point of view when it comes to the New South Wales public. So should we expect to see him turn around and say I can't possibly do that as well?
Speaker 5: No, because he did it absolutely expertly. His was a masterclass' so how to actually do it and how to get it back in and he made sure it's communicated through all the department chiefs. He made sure that it happened gradually. He made sure there'll be provisions made for parents who needed to take care of their kids. Again, these are all things that Peter Dutton or his team could have come up within a Harby. I mean this is no brainer. Look, first thing you do say, obviously this does not apply to parents with young children. If you need to take care of your kids, if you need to be able to pick up your kids or drop them off at school or whatever, you have a complete exemption. We're not talking about you anyone juggling work and family. We know what a tough challenge that can be, and we're going to make sure that you still have the flexibility you need.
Speaker 3: It's the other people we're talking talk slower.
Speaker 2: There's some staff like.
Speaker 3: Where was that?
Speaker 5: And again, you know all these people, the forty one thousand public servants, who were they there?
Speaker 1: It's just the thing I find like it's so easy to say, we'll cull them by natural attrition when people leave the public service, we just won't re employ bureaucrats. You can naturally dwindle the numbers over time.
Speaker 3: Which is what they've said now.
Speaker 5: But before then it was that they were going to go through like ol chainsaw done lap with a you know, just mow them all down. And again it was just just bad politics. But anyway, I can't be in charge of everything. Although on the other and how good is he?
Speaker 3: All agree? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well, I will I will say is elbow is so confident as a result of the the events of the last few days that he has done the once unthinkable. Yes, he has pulled just Into Alan out of witness protection and wheeled her around town for a.
Speaker 3: Rare public sighting this.
Speaker 5: If you want to know what confidence looks like, ladies and gentleman, it's this.
Speaker 1: The ning a responsible I'm a responsible budget. If I'm responsible for my budget, I'm happy to answer questions about my budget.
Speaker 2: The Premier is right here.
Speaker 5: If you want to ask her a question about Victoria, I'm happy for her to do that.
Speaker 3: So there you go. We thought we'd never see her again, but proof.
Speaker 5: Of life just Into Alan is still with us. It'd be better to him is holding a copy of today's newspaper, just so we're absolutely sure. But again, I think you know the PM is nothing if not a loyal friend.
Speaker 1: Well well, obscene levels of confidence there from Albersi. Of course, you know you have to ask her if she's got a responsible budget going on. I mean you think your labor mate would be able to say yes, of course, I fully back my hes not someone who's popularity.
Speaker 2: Why not.
Speaker 1: Exactly, But this is exactly the point. This will be the only time we see Anthony Albersi with Justiner Allen this whole election campaign. He had to do it once, right, because if he didn't do it at all, there'd be all these questions about why didn't he scare next to to Cinder Allen. So we had to do it at least once to get it, to get it out of the way. But I'm not sure it really helps the matter, because if I am right and we don't see him next to just Ciner Allen again during this campaign, well we can all ask why do you do like an in and out job. Surely you should have been down in Victoria hanging out with the premiere more often because she's like led to him, That's why. And he doesn't want to be seen dead with it.
Speaker 2: Indeed, it was rumored like is he going to do it at all?
Speaker 4: Her popularity is a burning dumpster fire in the state of Victoria. So the last thing Alban Easy wants to do is hang out with just Cinta Allan for any amount of time. We doesn't want Victoria voters to be like, oh, these.
Speaker 2: Guys are thick as thieves. Their best is no.
Speaker 4: No, we want a distinct point of differentiation between Alban Easy and that particular state premiere so I.
Speaker 5: But of course he does it just when the coalition is imploding like this, This is you talk about them at the moment.
Speaker 3: This is the death Star exploding at the end of Star Wars.
Speaker 5: And so the one time everyone's eyes are everywhere else and it's all bad news bears for them, that's when he wheels out with Surreans and see, I did it, told you and I blink and he missed it and it's gone. And then every time he gets like calebsid, every time he gets asked for the rest of the campaigns, what are you talking about.
Speaker 1: The she's my best mate? And how funny that it comes on the same day because we're talking about Peter Dutton and work from home. And of course Victoria is the state in Melbourne is the city that has struggled the most to get people back in the office after COVID, because of course Melbourne was the most lockdown place in the world. That's it for our federal election coverage tonight, but there is plenty more to come, and of course right here tomorrow night on Sky News seven thirty pm Eastern Time, the debate between Anthony Albnizi and Peter Dutton and then of course plenty more throughout the week. Jim Charmers and Angus Taylor facing off for a Treasury debate on Wednesday seven thirty pm as well, and then on Thursday, courtesy of the National Press Club, you'll see Chris Bow and Ted O'Brien fire off about energy. While we are talking about Victoria. Carjackings are through the roof down there now. You know, we've been talking about crime crises across the country for so long now, and it always used to be about Queensland in particular. Of course, they've still got problems up in Queensland when it comes to youth crime, but it's increasingly a problem down in Victoria. The number of carjackings has gone uprom one hundred and forty three in twenty seventeen to four hundred and thirty nine last year.
Speaker 2: But can you.
Speaker 1: Believe that three quarters of all carjackings committed last year in Victoria, seventy five percent of them were done by children. And there's also a market increase in aggravated and attempted aggravated carjackings. That's of course, when you get charged. Aggravated means you had a weapon on you or there was some other stenuating circumstance that makes it a worse offense, so they go for harsher penalties in court. They've gone up as well, from fifty nine to one hundred and sixty two in the past eight years. What on earth is going on with the kids. I mean, look, we know there's a youth crime crisis, but the fact that this seems to be the go to thing for kids now, in particular by a factor of three to one, to go and hijack cars. I mean, I couldn't think of doing such a thing without having to get myself a new pair of underwear. Because the idea that you would go up to someone in a moving car or an unlocked car or whatever it is, open the door, potentially hold them at knife point or gunpoint or whatever, drag them out of the car. So you've got to wrestle with another person in this situation potentially and then steal their car and get out of there. It's not something I could ever see myself doing. And yet there are people in Victoria under the age of eighteen in increasing numbers, certainly much more than adults who want to do it.
Speaker 4: Least well, when you look at the bail laws and how they've been operating until now. The Victorian government has made them very squeak queen, very tight now or so we'll soon see. Then why wouldn't they and why wouldn't they just keep on doing it? We don't know how many of that number are just you know, repeat offenders, but I imagine it's actually quite high because to have that number of kids, if it's one per carjacking, that would be utterly mind blowing. I think these guys have done it once, they've done it twice. They're probably not acting alone at all. If you're a kid, you're going to have a friend two or three acting in gangs.
Speaker 2: We've seen that.
Speaker 4: Before, and they're very much emboldened when they're in a group.
Speaker 5: I've done some research into this and it turns out children aren't meant to be driving cars at all.
Speaker 3: I mean, but this is in all seriousness.
Speaker 5: Firstly, this is what happens when you don't take crime seriously enough. So, oh, it's just nothing, it's just kids being kids, or just fine. Oh, I know, how do you say that it's racist?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, and giving bail for the fiftieth time.
Speaker 5: Do you say we've got a crime proble blah blah blah blah, and then of course once it hits that kind of event horizon, you're at the point where you can't actually do anything about it, even because you didn't do anything about it when you could. It is absolutely gangs that are responsible here. This isn't just so we're seeing different types of I'm happening in regional Queens and regional New South Wales has still got a big youth crime problem as well, But the difference between that is in Victoria, it is happening in Melbourne. It is happening in very affluent areas. Often crime and just sort of random street crime and stuff is tied to poorer communities often and places in the bushwere there's not much else to do, so kids turn to they have bad role models, they turn to bad stuff, and this is very much part of coordinated gangs targeting in many ways. You know, really affluent areas as well, and really expensive.
Speaker 1: Cars about where insurance prices have gone up the most in Melbourne and it's all the most expensive suburbs bright because they are being targeted by these things.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so it's not just it's not just a run of the mill kind of kids behaving badly, kids running a mark sort of thing. It's actually a really serious problem, and I think there needs to be honest conversations about how kids in particular communities are being targeted and they're being sort of recruited and being offered.
Speaker 3: All these kind of you know, these lollies.
Speaker 5: And turning what should be a really great, productive community in very near where I grew up, or well, in the suburb I grew up is one of the biggest popularity and turn them into you know, people who are being demonized because they are being allowed to sort of fester in an afe of crime. And part of the problem with that has been people turning a blind eye to it and pretending that it wasn't happening because they were scared of being you know, the accused of being racist or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: And of course, you know, Victoria increased the age of criminal responsibility to twelve, and they were planning to increase it to fourteen. And I said at the time, what you'll do is create a market for crime gangs to go and tap kids on the shoulder and say, go and do our dirty work for us. Because of course, if you can get a thirteen or a twelve year old to go and do something for you, and you know they're not going to be convicted, why wouldn't you do it. I think we may well be seeing some of that.
Speaker 5: Now in the thirteen so they can already drive and spoken the queens Inn.
Speaker 4: Now we're a senior lecturer of law at the University of Queensland.
Speaker 2: Her name is Danny.
Speaker 4: Linda was so offended when tens of students, she claimed, walked out of one of her lecturers in Foundations of Law.
Speaker 2: I remember it well, when she.
Speaker 4: Was talking about the history of Indigenous legal history and she got so offended by this she then decided to lecture them in a following lecturer in a rather threatening way that some savvy students must have recorded.
Speaker 2: Because now we have it and we know what she said.
Speaker 10: Watch what you say and what you do if you want to do well in your law degree. Because being politically active.
Speaker 11: In a way, that's what protesting against my inclusion.
Speaker 3: Of Indigenous perspectives and up and leading.
Speaker 10: And I know not everyone probably had that purpose of getting up and leading in that moment, but there were some that did. I can tell you now if you want to get involved in kind any work while you're doing your law degree.
Speaker 3: You're not going to get hired and.
Speaker 11: You're not going to last if this is the type of behavior that you're engaging with. There's been barristers that have become aware of this this week that frequently try and engage UQ law students that are ligned.
Speaker 4: We're sick of it, no where, sick of kids being indoctrinated by people like you. Danny props to the kids for walking out. I distinctly remember one of the first two things I learned in Foundations of Law were the Bugby principles and the Fernando principles, at which point I learned that when it comes to every other Australian and Indigenous Australians, we're not equal before the law whatsoever. If you are bought before a court of law in Australia for the exact same crime that an Indigenous person committed, they've got the Bugby principles, they've got the Fernando principles. You've got nothing, and you're gonna do a far harder time of.
Speaker 2: It, believe you me.
Speaker 4: So is it any surprise that these kids, I'm assuming they are kids, during their first year of law, just like you know what, We've already had enough of this. This woman keeps banging on about her own passion project, her own soapbox, and they decided to get up and walk out on.
Speaker 2: This particular day.
Speaker 4: And here you have a senior lecturer of law threatening them regarding future job prospects.
Speaker 2: How disgusting? How low can you get in skipping lectures?
Speaker 3: Was what I did all the time, madam.
Speaker 1: And you turned out all right, Joe, And you know, oh will, I'll remember your faces. You should really consider if you want a job in the law, how you behave You know, sure we expect good behavior of people in the law, though you know, some people in the law don't necessarily display the best behavior. One of my favorite stories was a lawyer who got caught out the front of I think it was the magistrate's court in Adelaide with a bag of cocaine falling out of the front pocket of his jacket. So you know, they don't always adhere to the law.
Speaker 3: That's where all the students were going.
Speaker 1: To here precisely because it is utterly ridiculous to say that if you have an issue with me taking over your lecture to carry on about indigenity all the time, you're coming to learn law? Well, what do you think they came here for?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I found it a little bit since I mean, obviously, if you're going to sign up to a course, you should, you know, listen.
Speaker 2: To it and foundations.
Speaker 3: You can't if you don't like it.
Speaker 5: If you disagree with it, you can disagree with that in the tutorial room or the seminar room. So I don't think they need to sort of walk out, obviously trying to be a bit provocative and make a point. But having said all that, she says that you know, barristers are aware of what has gone I know barristers who are aware of what is going on?
Speaker 3: How and who cares? How did they become aware? Like because she told them the bars?
Speaker 5: So she's going to everyone, you know, if you're going to hire any you know, anyone's got any internships coming up, well don't hire X y Z because I just heard them.
Speaker 3: Is that what's going like? How did they become?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 5: Is what she is the Only thing more UnAustralian than walking out is snitching.
Speaker 2: Good point, very good news story.
Speaker 4: Just before we go to the ad break, guess what the biggest pedophile.
Speaker 2: Ring online uploading well.
Speaker 4: It says ninety one thousand videos with images of child sexual abuse has been sprung. It took thirty eight countries working in cohesion together, Australia being one of them, for this thing to be ripped off the Internet.
Speaker 2: What a win. I wish we saw more of this.
Speaker 4: This platform had a staggering one point eight million users. There's a lot of sikos out there, ladies and gentlemen. And authorities were able to identify almost fourteen hundred of the individuals using the platform. I hope they find all ninety one thousand of them and prosecute them to the full extent.
Speaker 2: Of the law. My gosh, I would love a job like this.
Speaker 4: I would bound out of bed every single day hunting it down pedophiles in the europold tweet announcing this when they said ked Flicks, one of the largest pedophile platforms in the world, has been shut down in an international operation against child sexual exploitation. Europol has supported authorities from thirty eight countries worldwide in shutting down the platform.
Speaker 2: Just this kind of.
Speaker 4: News makes my heart seeing and we need to see a lot.
Speaker 2: More of it.
Speaker 4: One wonders how could it exist and grow this big without already being shut down.
Speaker 2: Better late than never.
Speaker 4: But it just goes to show these things are out there and we cannot pour enough resources into getting them shut down.
Speaker 1: Of course, and probably someone else will come through and try to fill the vacuum now, so the work never ends. And I've got to say a big shout out to the cops who work on these cases. They see some absolutely horrific stuff, but they do it day in, day out to make the world a better place. And without people like them, we would be so much worse off. We're going to get into the papers. You'll find out exactly how much a cost to take the queen off five dollar notes. It's a lot more than you'd expect. And the dog who took on a croc you'll find out who comes off sick this soon. Welcome back Joe still doing the cryptic crossword by the way.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 1: Let's just get into the Canberra Times tomorrow, Liz Well.
Speaker 4: While public servants in Canberra breathing a sigh of relief not having to go back to work, the small businesses in Canberra are not half as happy, counting the cost of office politics. The headline reads, while many public servants. We yesterday breathing a sigh of relief as the opposition dumped its plan to force staff back to the office five days a week. For the city's small businesses, the news was not universally welcomed. Grace Zoo, pictured on the front there, owner of the Double Drummer Cafe, and Barren Barton, was among those hooping to see workers back in the office, particularly on Mondays and Fridays.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's these guys that.
Speaker 4: Really aren't taken into account when they hate these I mean, they would have been so happy thinking, oh, oh my goodness, we're going to have that many people coming back, and specifically in camera, because they would have read the messaging right, specifically in camera, all these public servants back, buy now coffees. This is going to be a massive boon for us, because of course they would have noticed more than anybody how many people are working from home now in the camera public service right, And.
Speaker 5: They would have been so miserable and depressed to be going back to the office that they would have bought more coffee and booze than ever before.
Speaker 1: I had to they had this explosion. But and this is the great trouble now about trying to get people back into the office, and you will know that I think people should be back in the office. But there's two questions. One is how do we sustain CBD's long term without people being back in the office full time, because of course they seem to now be turning into less of workplaces and more into entertainment hubs, but that's mostly on the week end. You look at Melbourne for instance, the number of people going into Melbourne on the weekend is higher than it was before COVID, but the people going in during the week is lower than it was before COVID because they're all at home during the week and then they're like, we've got to get out of the house, so they all go to the city on the weekend. So that's fine, but can you sustain a cafe on essentially two days of solid trade? And then the other discussion you've got to have is with all the suburban cafes and restaurants, et cetera, because they've had a massive uptick in their custom because of course people are at home during the weekend, they go and buy their coffee there instead of the cafe in the city, so then they will be squealing that the government's I notice.
Speaker 5: It's so boring. But I'm a boring, boring centrist. That's why you've got to find a middle way. You've got to find flexible work arrangements. No, you can't just not go because you don't feel like it. But if you have to, and you've got a good reason, respect your workers. You let them make decisions. You take me out of my front door in a box.
Speaker 3: LA doesn't. And I'm going to tell you that free. Come on up here now.
Speaker 5: I now the Daily Telegraph, greatest newspaper in the world, and it has a fantastic story by our friend James Willis. So I think you would have seen just earlier on Shari Show a five dollar note. That'll be five hundred and seven thousand dollars. The Reserve Bank has slug tax pays more than half a million dollars to redesign the five dollar note as it prepares to snub Australias monarch in favor of a First Nation inspired artwork. The change, endorsed by treasure Jim Chalmas, has been described by the federal opposition as wasteful and a pet project guided by ideology. There you go, that's inflation for you, isn't it five dollars now suddenly five hundred thousand?
Speaker 1: What justification is? There is no justification for this. They could have just done a straight swap from the Queen to King Charles and said that's it. But no, no, no, we've got to have some first nation bloody thing on it. Look, even if they want to have a first nation designed, you know, I'd rather than monarch stayed there. But couldn't you get some kid in a school somewhere to do up a design for you that you could then print on a five dollar open It would cost you nothing.
Speaker 4: Someone wonders what's included in this over half a meal because they were saying, oh, we've got to do a lot of convening with different indigenous groups. We don't want to upset some make others happy, like this has got to be an overarching everyone in the indigenous community is happy with this type project. So you wonder is that included in the price of this, The consulting, the sit downs, the different different groups, different indigenous artists, basically tenders.
Speaker 2: But is that what this is paying for or is that.
Speaker 5: All on top of this guaranteed guaranteed guaranteed, guaranteed. And I'll tell you something really interesting if you want to know how these sorts of processes always seem to turn out. You know, a Campbell being a horse designed by a committee. I you're too young to remember this. I'm old enough to remember when the old five dollar note was replaced with a new polymer five dollar note and the portrait of the Queen was chosen to be put on it. And you know who oversaw that process film none other in Australia's leading Republican Paul Keating.
Speaker 3: He was Treasurer at the time.
Speaker 5: So even though he was already just an ardent sort of, I had a Republican and would go on to to basically just years later lay out the path pathway to Australia becoming a republic. Still, the Queen ended up on the five dollar note, and even then there was just confused, like why how did this happen?
Speaker 3: Like just make up your mind.
Speaker 1: But at least you did the right thing now, of course, to one of the big stories of the day on the front of the ODS, the swash says crash test dummy s Anthony Alberinezi is confronting a global recession from a dramatically weaker fiscal position than before the global financial crisis and the COVID pandemics. Millions of Australian workers and self funded retirees have their superannuation saving smashed twenty six days before the election. And then the story next to that says blood bath at as Sex has investors smashed. Australian shares suffered their biggest one day fall since the pandemic in one hundred and twelve billion dollar blood bath amid fears Donald Trump's tariffs would spark a global economic recession. Has Donald Trump bitten off a little more than he can chew?
Speaker 2: Nah, this is so intentional.
Speaker 4: There is a method to this madness, and it's so intentional, and it's so far. I'm not a shares person, I'm a crypto person, and right now everything is on sale like people are buying up crypto like you wouldn't believe.
Speaker 2: So for me personally, this is just incredibly exciting.
Speaker 1: But what's the game?
Speaker 4: Oh well, far too long for us to get into in the papers. But I do believe this is something that he's doing intentionally. He's flipping the tables in order to correct what we've seen playing out for quite a few years now.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I can't. I would not have the time to do that justice.
Speaker 1: And we don't do financial advice, of course, no.
Speaker 2: No, we do not do financial advice.
Speaker 1: On this poem. The int News riper story.
Speaker 2: News Joe, tell us about this dog.
Speaker 5: I will tell you about it because it's got a crock on the front page. And that means, according to ancient int News folklore, if you if your story gets a crock on the front page, you have to buy the newsroom a slab cart and for everybody got to shout the bar.
Speaker 3: So it's good to see that.
Speaker 1: And of course some newspapers do have a croc on the front page, but in a different way, and none of them were news cool papers.
Speaker 5: That's right, that's cause this is the real that's called The Guardian. But Thomas McClain be shouting the bar tomorrow. Kroc gets snappy with staffy dog goes toe to toe with reptile foe. A snappy surprise they just love their puns has left an unsuspecting man and his dog bewildered with a small dog. A small crocodile captured well outside of its death Palmersman Darrendown's without walking his dog Nate. When the American stuff he tried to take on what it thought was a regular lizard, only to discover it was in fact a crocodile, but only a freshie star doesn't work out, You just have to buy six.
Speaker 1: Pack mistake to make, isn't it? After the break Stephen Masks, former Queensland premier, can you believe he's now getting into deadlifting? Got himself into a bowerlifting gold A dish will show you how that went shortly now, Look, I thought after the demonstration Peter Dutton gave us over the weekend where he kicked a football and hit a cameraman's camera that knocked his head open, blood gashing out that Pollys might have given up sport by now, but Stephen Miles didn't seem to think that was the right thing to do. Now.
Speaker 2: Now the Queensland opposition leader.
Speaker 4: Has taken off the suit and tie to compete in the state powerlifting championships.
Speaker 2: Hidden talent here it is. I was waiting for him to do the thrust part. I'm like, mate, you've only done half of it, Like, where's the rest, where's the hard bit?
Speaker 4: But hey, props to Steven Miles. He's still beat Kevin Rudd's attempt at chin ups by a mile.
Speaker 3: One don't know the hap.
Speaker 4: You've got to sympathize with the trainer in the back there being like alp.
Speaker 3: Hell and that trainer was never seen again.
Speaker 1: I don't think they were chinups. They were just nothing ups anyway. Now justice for a Marie Murray. That's the campaign I'm starting on this program here tonight. She got on a Ryan Air flight in the UK, right, and and ryani At CEO Michael O'Leary. I like him because he's a good supporter of jumps racing. But mate, do something about this case with you. She was on the plane. She ordered a packet of Pringles, bottle of water and a Coca Cola.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: It came to seven quids. She went to pay with it with her card tap and go, and the machine wouldn't take it. She said, do you want the stuff back? They said no. When the plane landed, she said, I'll go and get some cash for you, because she didn't have any gash on it. And he said, no, you can't pay with cash. We've called the cops because you've stolen them. And didn't pay for them.
Speaker 12: And sure enough the police came along and took them away and put her and her husband in the back of a van because her card didn't work for seven quid.
Speaker 2: I mean, sirs for Anne Marie.
Speaker 3: I mean you expect that sort of thing on Jetstar, but not Ryan.
Speaker 1: Well, I know they're one and the same real honestly, if someone wants to make it right, if that's what police resources have been used for in the UK, it tells you seven.
Speaker 3: Weird for a pack of Pringles as oh that's a great doors.
Speaker 1: Siculous, don'ts it for us?
Speaker 3: Tonight?
Speaker 1: Up next to the red of Panning the show