Speaker 1: Live on Sky News. This is Sharry.
Speaker 2: Good Evening. Welcome to the show tonight.
Speaker 3: Peter Dutton's warning to China and his vow to fix Albanese's broken relations with our allies. This is Dutton's most important speech yet. I'll come to it in a moment. The controversial new entrant in Australia's ritualist and the author who went behind the scenes with the billionaires. He'll tell us all the details that's coming up. Plus, was the CIA involved in the assassination of JFK top secret documents now laid bare. Adam Crichton would join me to discuss and Albanese's hypocrisy for attacking Dutton over a fundraiser when he held one on exactly the same day. This is the left wing media tries to sell the narrative that Dutton has a women problem. I'll discuss this with Matt Cadavan and Basil zemplus shot, but first tonight, the upcoming election is not just about policies but values, and the value is that we want to underpin the governing of our country well. Peter art And today spoke with precision and clarity as he promised to return conviction and principles to foreign policy if he wins the election. He gave a major speech to the Loewy Institute, focusing on foreign affairs and defense.
Speaker 2: He spoke of.
Speaker 3: Russia, Ukraine, China and Israel, and his message today was one of strength in the face of our adversaries and unwavering friendship with our allies who share our values. This was shockingly refreshing to hear.
Speaker 4: Now foreign policy will be underpinned by moral clarity. I believe there is right and wrong, and good and evil in the world. Of course, in many ways democracies have lost their resolve, their confidence because we've become susceptible to the false arguments of advocates of keyboard warriors and conspiracy theorists who distort morality for political ends.
Speaker 3: Keyboard Warriors, indeed, and Dutton pose the question that if we don't stand with friends and allies during their darkest hour, then who will stand with us in hours. In cutting remarks, Dutton said Albanese's weakness and inexperience in defense, diplomacy and national security were now endangering Australians.
Speaker 4: The government is the most left wing since the Whitlam government of the seventies, and we are less safe because of it. History is shown that acquiescence or appeasement ends in a cul de sac of strategic misfortune or worse.
Speaker 3: His criticism of the Albanese government was brutal.
Speaker 2: He didn't only.
Speaker 3: Highlight Albanese's weakness, but is inexperience. And Dutton said that in Albany twenty six years in the parliament, he'd never held a single national security or economic portfolio and basically had no experience in foreign affairs. It's why Alberzi is dominated by Penny Wong's warpped radical leftist.
Speaker 2: View of the world.
Speaker 3: And Dutton described Albanese's leadership as morally confused.
Speaker 2: And isn't it just.
Speaker 4: The reason we've seen catastrophic failures in defense, diplomacy and national security under the government is that Anthony Alberzi has not provided strong, clear sighted and values driven leadership. Instead of prioritizing the national interest in international policy, the Prime Minister has been driven by political expediency or too often he views foreign policy through the lens of domestic opportunism because he has the wrong priorities. Anthony Albernese's decisions have rightly been defined by weakness.
Speaker 3: It's inarguably and unconsciraby virtually true that we've seen lily lived weakness from Albanesi in the face of hostile dictatorships. Just as the world is aghast at Trump's embrace of Putin, the same can be said of Albanesi cozying up to China. Even when Beijing challenged our sovereignty or deliberately injured our defense personnel, Albanesi failed to.
Speaker 2: Utter a harsh word.
Speaker 3: He failed to confront she when he saw him in person at the G twenty and more recently, Albanesi insisted China had given warning of life fire exercises in the Tasman Sea, when in fact they outrageously had it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: This submissiveness, and it is submissiveness. It's earned him the patronizing moniker of handsome boy with the Chinese and Dutton Wan today that the tensions in our region could escalate into conflict, and he spoke of the new we need to maintain a respect for relationship and a healthy trade relationship with China whilst still calling out aggression.
Speaker 4: But time and again the government has failed to call out the Chinese Communist Party's military aggression against men and women of the Australian Defense Force. Red lines need to be made clear, especially in a period of tension, because if they're not, we end up with a situation like the one in recent weeks, the situation where the Chinese Navy provided no notice of its life fire exercise whilst it circumnavigated Australia, a situation where our national maritime surveillance was outsourced to a Virgin Airline pilot.
Speaker 3: And Dartan said self censorship was a price that no self respecting country should ever pay, especially a democracy like ours. Well then, on Russia's invasion of Ukraine, Albert Easy claims to stand with Ukraine, but still hasn't fulfilled some basic requests that have been made of us, and that includes delivering M one Abrams tanks, also requests for our thermal coal in winter or donating out of service MRH ninety Taipan helicopters. Instead they were torn apart and buried. Albanizi now says he wants to send Australian troops into Harm's way, yet he didn't even think it was safe enough to open our.
Speaker 2: Embassy in Kiev.
Speaker 3: I mean, these are utterly bizarre and conflicting comments well. Dutton spoke today about his personal disappointment in how President Zelenski.
Speaker 2: Was treated at the White House, but then he.
Speaker 3: Also praised Donald Trump's objective to want to end the conflict, and then on Israel. As you know, Australia has utterly abandoned our strategic ally in the Middle East, and Dartan today described this as the Prime Minister's most egregious foreign policy failure. In a portion of his speech, he described each step of Pennywong and Albanese's horrific failures, and then he spoke about how he'd fix them.
Speaker 4: Following Hamas's barbaric attack on Israel, the government should have sent a strong and clear message that it stood with our ally. Instead, the government's response was suppined. We began to hear unreasonable calls for immediate restraint, calls for Israel to not look back in anger, calls for Israel to de escalate and to pause its military response. Now. These calls persisted despite hostages remaining in chains and being executed. These calls continued despite Hamasa's odious terror network remaining active. And these calls endured while Hesbala rained down thousands of rockets on Israel and while Hodi's in Iranian RAJ launch missile and Draine attacks.
Speaker 3: Now dartan And also spoke about how Penny Wong's call for unilateral recognition of a Palestinian state while Hamas continues to hold hostages was effectively an endorsement of Hamas's use of terror to achieve political ends, and Darton said Israel has been treated as though it were an adversary and not a friend.
Speaker 4: The government has adopted adversarial positions towards Israel to shore up Labour's votes in certain seats where there are undeniably anti Israel and anti Semitic views, and.
Speaker 2: How true is that?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: These are relations that Darton says he will restore if he becomes Prime minister.
Speaker 4: If I become Prime minister, one of my first orders of business will be to call Prime Minister net Yahoo to build on the one on one meeting I had with him during my recent visit, and to help rebuild the relationship Labour has trashed. Israel will be able to count on our support again in the United Nations and again. UNRA has employed terrorists from Hamas who participated in the seven October attacks. The organization will no longer receive a dollar of funding from a government.
Speaker 1: That I need.
Speaker 3: If only this strength, this clarity, was bipartisan federal foreign policy as it once was.
Speaker 2: Our failure to stand.
Speaker 3: Strong and firm is part of the reason why Trump won't pick up Albanese's phone calls. He doesn't want a relationship with Albanesi. His entire team are hoping that the left wing experiment of the Albanese government will be over shortly and that they can start afresh with Dutton and figures that they already have a solid working relationship with people like James Patterson and Andrew hasty Well. Dutton today said he believed he'd have a closer relationship with Trump, wouldn't be hard, and thus he'd be able to achieve outcomes for our national interest.
Speaker 4: And I do believe that if there's a change of government, I will be able to work with the Trump administration mark too to get better outcomes for Australians. I will seek to meet President Trump in Washington. In the early days of the Dutton coalition government.
Speaker 3: Now we often talk about peace through strength and it's a message the Dutton reinforced today. He spoke about increasing defense capabilities becoming more self reliant as a nation and also resilient. And he said this includes developing energy security and fuel reserves. He said, if this didn't happen, we could be left flat footed in uncertain times. And because we are living in uncertain times, more than ever, we need a clear eyed view of our enemies and our allies. We can't afford continued moral confusion. We can't afford to bow down to dictators. We need strength of leadership to protect our sovereignty, the values that underpin our democracy and that safeguard our national security. Okay, let's bring in now our Thursday Panel National Senate, National Senator Matt Cadavan and WA Liberal MP Basil Zemplars.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm going to start.
Speaker 3: With you, Basil, breaking news this afternoon that WA Liberal leader Libby Mattham is standing down this after poor performance at the state.
Speaker 2: Election on March the eighth.
Speaker 3: Basil, tell us live here, are you going to throw your hat in the ring for leader of the Liberal Party in Wa?
Speaker 5: Well, first, and Sherry, good evening to you and Matt. You never told me it was going to be like this, and not this quickly anyway, Cherry, I will put my hand up or at least put my hat into the ring, and I accept that between now and next Tuesday, the Liberal Party room meeting will likely be It's a reasonable question that I'm going to be asked and will be asked repeatedly if I don't answer, so I think it's the right thing to do say yes I will. And also to say a huge thank you to Libby met him for her enormous contribution as leader over the last two years, but in particular during the most recent election campaign, she was magnificent, even though the seats result did not reflect that well.
Speaker 3: Big news there, Basil Zamplus will be running for Leader of the Liberal Party in WA. Basil Libby has said that she would like to be the deputy leader of the Liberal Party.
Speaker 2: Would you like to have her as your deputy?
Speaker 5: I really welcomed that news from Libby today. I think that's hugely important to me if I end up being the leader, and hugely important to our lower house team. Libby will be the only member of that lower House team for the Liberal Party in the West Australian Parliament with parliamentary experience. Clearly that is going to be important. I've always enjoyed working side by side with her, particularly through the campaign when we got to do it quite a lot. It felt tremendous. I think it was effective, and we enjoy each other's company professionally, and the prospect of working side by side with her to hold this labor government to account is one that I'm really looking forward to. So yes, I absolutely welcome that news from Living.
Speaker 3: I mean, she blamed leadership instability as a factor for the poor showing at the state election.
Speaker 2: Do you agree with that assessment?
Speaker 3: And I mean there has been at least reported rivalry between the two of you, So do you accept any responsibility for this.
Speaker 1: Share?
Speaker 5: There are things that I can't control, and clearly I have been the Lord Mayor of the City of Perth, and I have had a high profile in this city because of my thirty year broadcast career, and so people have made assumptions or used that form of notoriety with me to perhaps suggest things that simply weren't the case. I do accept, of course, what happened back in November, not of my doing was unhelpful and unnecessary. But I think the election result was because of the election campaign, and more to the point, I think it was because of the absolute strength of this Labor government, and so I think people have seen those events as quite separate. And the last thing I'll say is, as Matt would know from having observed closely, it's a convention of the Liberal Party right around Australia that after an election all leadership positions are spilled. I'm not in control of that. And Libby has decided not to put her hand up for leader. And so now, having been asked, will you put your hand up for leader?
Speaker 3: I am saying yes, I will right well, if she is blaming leadership instability for the result of March eight, and if she becomes your deputy, I guess you have to hope that there's no white aunting going on there as revenge.
Speaker 2: Matt, any advice for Vawso do you think you'll make a good Liberal leader in WA?
Speaker 6: I think I've lost pretty much every leadership I haven't challenged myself and anyone I've been involved in.
Speaker 1: So all the best to Basil.
Speaker 6: I mean, we might be saying goodbye to and this might be his last hurrah, but I do wish him all the best over there in the West because I think you know, I've got a great love for the West Australian people. I spent a lot of time there was Resources Minister, and I think Basil's right that the Labor government kind of got re elected because West Australia has benefited from what has been an amazing commodity price boom the last couple of years. But that's ending, that's receding, and I don't think this Labor Party government over there is doing enough to attract new investment. They haven't been able to settle the Northwest Shelf with the federal government. Might see more about that next week in Canberra. They've sat back and let the live export industry be destroyed, and they made a complete, hash complete mess of the native title changes which continue to cause issues right around the country. So look, I think there might be a turning point at sometime in the next few years when things might get a bit tougher in a more difficult commodity price environment, and West Australia, the whole country needs West Australian governor's pro business, pro development and gets that state moving.
Speaker 3: All right, let's have a look at some of the other stories around today. Now, no one could have missed Albanezi and all of his labor ministers, absolutely smashing Darton for attending a fundraiser four days before ex tropical cyclone Alfred hit. But now today it's been revealed that Albanesi himself attended a fundraiser on exactly the same day. Now Basil Murray Watt came out, he said that Dutton was filling money bags instead of sound bags.
Speaker 2: I mean, did they think no one would.
Speaker 3: Find out about Labour's fundraiser that the PM did the same thing?
Speaker 5: To understand how this can happen assuming that people within the government team knew where Anthony Albanzi was. Obviously they did know, but either that was not communicated or such was the hubris of the government that they decided to take that non anyway, which you just couldn't imagine they would do that. I mean, it's unforgivable and an unforgivable own goal if that is the case. But clearly, if you're throwing stones, you've got to make sure that you're not living in a glasshouse of your own and that seems to be what's happened here. It's a very very poor tactical error.
Speaker 3: I mean, what do you think about this, Matt, Do they just think the media is so on elbow side that no one would care.
Speaker 6: I think it's probably lack of communication. The left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. But bad luck, it's blown up in Labour's face. And maybe they should drop all this hydrogen stuff and instead focus on producing electricity from hypocrisy. They have a complete, unlimited supply of that in the Labor Party at the moment, and maybe they would be the solution for us.
Speaker 7: All.
Speaker 6: I mean, I Peter did nothing wrong, and look, I'm not going to Anthony did nothing wrong. You've got to go to fundraisers in this job. It's part of running a campaign. And this was four days before the cyclone hit. And I think now that we've had a few weeks in hindsight of it all here and I sitting here in Brisbane been up into them. But today, you know, there was a bit of an overreaction. People started going off work four days before a storm hit, and you know, we maybe just a little bit into that COVID malaise where we think we've got a lockdown for some reason. A few of us up in North Queen's and were scratching our heads. I had a Category five cyclone go over our house a decade ago before COVID and I can't remember anyone taking time off work. But you just got on with lifepously. If you had damage, you dealt with it. But yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Well, remember you were on the show, because you're on every Thursday, Matt, and you said that that the lockdowns were a bit of an overreaction. At that point, we still thought the cyclone was going to hit imminently and your comment seemed so shocking. But then by the time the cyclone hit and it wasn't even a cyclone, it was an X cyclone, And of course there was damage, but you know, nothing like the severity that the incorrect weather forecasters were wandering about.
Speaker 2: Well you seemed spot on, So there you go.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Macquarie University, we've been talking about it this week for the revelations that some law students were being marked on how well they delivered an acknowledgment of country. Well, today another article in The Australian revealed that they've been made to do a privilege walk and they're also being taught that children are not many humans with many human rights, but equal to adults.
Speaker 2: I mean, Basil.
Speaker 3: We've seen leading barristers come out and slam this because they're saying it should not be a requirement for a law exam.
Speaker 2: I mean, it just seems bizarre, doesn't it, that it is.
Speaker 5: The world is craving and I think many, many Australians are craving for a return of common sense and of course the welcome to country at the appropriate time, in the right forum and with the right number of times. So that doesn't mean every time we have a public gathering, but at the right times it is respectful and appropriate, but not every time we do something, not every day, not for every exam, not for every student. And this idea that kids and adults should be treated as exactly the same, They're not exactly the same. Some can't make decisions for themselves, and some are eighteen. They've got a passport, they've got a driver's license, they can go to the pub, they can vote.
Speaker 1: They are different.
Speaker 5: We don't have to put everything into one basket, and we've lost our way if this is the way we're going.
Speaker 3: Exactly, I mean, Matt, this idea that children are equal to adults. When you know young children in particular, they can't make sensible decisions. Their brains aren't developed, they don't have the knowledge.
Speaker 2: This is absurd.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it reminds me of that great quote. I think it was George or Well, although either George All or Wiston Churchill said everything I think, but Door said, you know, this is an idea that Arnie, an intellectual, could believe in. It's so stupid, so silly. You do call it a question how much money sometimes these institutions are getting. I heard this week too that another university is getting a million dollars to start to decolonize breastfeeding or something like that.
Speaker 8: From the government.
Speaker 6: Why we find the exactly well you did too. It's just outrageous and it's got to be rained in completely the basil. We need a restoration of common sense. We need and I really worry about the way Welcome to countries being abused. It's causing a backlash that's dividing Australians. There's an increase now in adversity among Australian groups because people are just sick and tired of it. And anybody can see that. Stop it on planes, stop it at airport, stop it at every meeting we have. They're doing damage to race relations in Australia by pushing this down people's.
Speaker 5: Throats, sharing my view on the welcome to country, and it is enormously respectful and the right times, it's absolutely fabulous.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful tribute to our first Australians.
Speaker 5: By view is, if we're at an event where the national anthem plays, then by all means have a welcome to country. But we don't play the Australian national anthem every time we gather or every time we have an event, And it would appear as though at almost every year we've pushed towards doing a welcome to country. I reckon, if it's national anthem worthy, then it's also welcome to country worthy and put the two together on the same level.
Speaker 9: That feels about right.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not just universities.
Speaker 3: You know, we're talking about law degrees here, but there are preschools where three year olds literally do the Welcome to Country every single day. They don't even know what they're saying, what they're talking about, but there you go.
Speaker 2: I just want to.
Speaker 5: Add, and again, they don't sing the national anthem every day.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you ask the.
Speaker 9: Majority of Australia, no disrespect for the welcome or for our first Australians. But the national anthem is the national anthem. You know, there's an obvious peaking order. I would have thought, or at least side by side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's no question that school children are doing the welcome to country more than they are the national anthem, if they even know the national anthem.
Speaker 2: Look, just very quickly, I want to end on.
Speaker 3: These revelations that Elon Musk's Tesla company is facing attacks. This is ever since Musk took over the new Doge roll, we've seen multiple Tesla vehicles set on fire, and the FBI have said that this has some of the hallmarks of terrorism. Here's Elon Musk speaking about it.
Speaker 10: It's really come as quite a shock to me that there's this level of really hatred and violence from the left. I thought the left of the Democrats were supposed to be the party of empathy, the party of caring, and yet they're burning down cars, they're fire bombing dealerships.
Speaker 3: I meant very quickly here, run out of time. But you know, Musk says he's shocked, but he shouldn't be really given he knows he's one of the top targets probably after Trump for assassins in the US.
Speaker 6: Well, I think there's this component of the left that's been there for a long time that are just out and out thugs. These are revolutionaries, radicals, activists, not all of them, it's not all my political opponents, but there's this component of it that has engaged in violence for a long time now, and it look. The good news about this, I think is common sense.
Speaker 1: People will object to it.
Speaker 6: What we do need is all politicians, including those on the left, the sensiblens, are left to condemn this type of activity. Hope it never comes to our shores.
Speaker 3: No, indeed, all right, Matt Canavan, Basil zemplars, we're out of time, and Bazil when you join us this time next Thursday, because you can't quit this panel just because you become the liberal leader. But see how the vote, how the vote goes down.
Speaker 6: All right, you might get his own panel. Take me out.
Speaker 5: It's a Thursday night set and forget. I'll see you next week sharing see see then.
Speaker 2: Thanks all right.
Speaker 3: Well, experts have been pouring over that eighty thousand pages of documents on the JFK assassination, which have now been declassified. One file details how a US intelligence officer named Gary Underhill traveled from Washington to New Jersey the day after the assassination, and he told friends that a small clique within the CIA was responsible to discuss Let's bring in our senior fellow and chief economist at the Institute of Public.
Speaker 2: Affairs, Adam Crichton.
Speaker 3: Adam, look, the theory that the CIA was involved, it's always been conspiracy theory.
Speaker 2: It's one that RFK was pushing heavily. But so far there doesn't.
Speaker 3: Seem to be any proof of this, at least in the troph of documents that experts have been through to this point.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 2: Show Well.
Speaker 7: Firstly, hats off to President Trump for releasing all these documents. They were meant to be released in twenty seventeen and he in his first term, and President Biden also resisted. They're finally out there. The case of the CIA officer that you just mentioned, there are actually scores of people who were mysteriously suicided or so forth in the wake of the assassination attempt. We've known about this for a long time. There's certainly no smoking gun, it seems in these documents. So far, there's no evidence obviously that the CIA did it, but of course you wouldn't expect the CIA to write down such a conspiracy in the first place. But if anything, I would say, from what we've seen so far, from all these documents, and as you say, there's eighty thousand of them, these will only encourage I would say, further conspiracies. I mean, for instance, we finally saw the full fifteen page memo from Arthur Schlesingerer, who was one of JFK's top advisors, and he told the president in nineteen sixty one, just in the wake of the disastrous Bay of Pigs invasion, that the CIA was a world unto itself, that it was out of control, that it had gone rogue, And of course it was JFK's intention to shut down the COO. There was a famous quote where he was going to shatter it to a thousand pieces, quote unquote. So documents like that will only will only further encourage all of the conspiracies that we've had for so long. And this really is an industry. The JFK assassination has really prompted and triggered a whole industry of suspicion.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about the budget on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Now this year alone, this is extraordinary this year alone. So since January, the Albanezi government has announced forty nine billion dollars of election promises and spending this year alone. Adam, it hasn't even been three months yet, extraordinary forty nine billion dollars. How worry look at that in terms of, you know, putting pressure on inflation.
Speaker 7: Well, very worrying, I mean extremely worrying. I mean, in the last three years, according to the figures of Chris Richardson, we've had the biggest growth in government spending as a share of the economy from twenty four percent to twenty seven percent next year since the Whitlam years. I mean that was fifty years ago. So this is just extraordinary. And you know, we're still paying for all of this spending with the proceeds of the mining boom. But the mining boom is slowly petering out and it is going to peter out, and yet we're going to have all of these permanent spending schemes still in place and we're going to have much larger deficits. So I think next Tuesday night is going to be very depressing. I would say for anyone who's looking forward to any sort of fiscal rectitude. You know, we've already had the Medicare splurge. You know, there's eight and a half billion, there's another nine billion. It's only going to get worse over the next few days. There doesn't seem to be any interest on either side of politics, very sadly to rain in spending.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I completely agree. I was speaking about this last night with Warren Hogan. I mean, fiscal conservatives conservativism seems to be a thing of the past. We already know that the budget is going to be in deficit, and yet we just keep hearing it's almost day of by day more spending announced by the Prime minister. I mean, I just I mean you spoke there about you know, deficit and debt levels. But what about the impact of this on inflation because we've just had a cut from the IBA. If the election spending is so enormous, you know, what impact do you think that will have an inflation? And then could we be facing a rate hike down the track.
Speaker 7: Well, I think the conventional wisdom now is that rates are not going to be cut as fast as people would have hoped. I think we just saw the Federal Reserve just a day ago in the US basically increased its inflation forecasts. And of course interest rates in Australia broadly mirror what's happening in the US, and so if rates in the US are going to stay higher for longer, they're probably going to stay higher for longer here as well. And as you suggest, spending does lead to inflation, especially when it's financed by deficits. We've certainly seen that in the past three years. So it is very worrying. And also it's a political puzzle to me because haven't they learned from the past three years that inflation is so politically toxic. I mean, no one really cares about the unemployment rate. It's inflation. This inflation affects absolutely everyone, all the time, every day. So it's very, very toxic. And so it surprises me that both sides of politics are so keen to keep all the spending going.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I suppose they think that the inflation will be a flow on effect that we'd find out about later, and they're just worried about the short term.
Speaker 7: Problem for someone else, yeah, well, or.
Speaker 3: A problem for them, but they just want to win the election. It's that short term vision. Adam Crichton. Great to have you on the show as always, thanks for your time.
Speaker 2: Now still to come.
Speaker 3: Which contentious billionaire has snuck into the Rich List this year? Well, the author of the Rich List will be on the show a bit later. Plus why Russia is still using honey traps to ensnare Western diplomats.
Speaker 2: It's like something out of a Cold War movie.
Speaker 3: David Rowe will be on to explain who they are and what they do next.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump and Voladimir Zelenski are on their way to mending their diplomatic relationship after the Ukrainian president agreed to a partial cease fire with Russia.
Speaker 2: During a lengthy phone call.
Speaker 3: Now, unusually, Trump floated the suggestion that perhaps the US could take over Ukraine's power plants. In a truth social post, Trump said the call was very good and he said negotiations were very much on track. And then Zelenski also posted that we believe that together with America, with President Trump and under American leadership, lasting.
Speaker 2: Peace can be achieved this year. Well to discuss, let's bring in now.
Speaker 3: Strategic communications director at the Australian Strategic Policy Institute David Rowe, David, thanks for joining us now. The phone call, of course does sound positive, But doesn't Trump really need to get Putin over the line to agree to a cease fire not Zelenski.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, We're in a bit of a depressing dynamic, Shari. Vladimir Putin is giving away nothing and showing no credible signs that he's interested in peace, which is not surprising because he's not. Donald Trump is cutting Putin far too much latitude and needs to put a lot more pressure on him. And meanwhile, Vladimir Zelenski is sort of caught in the middle whereby he needs to keep Trump happy, avoid offending him or upsetting him, and he is, you know, Donald Trump is quite easily offended and upset, and at the same time he needs to lead his country in fighting back Vladimir Putin's aggression. So Voladimir Zelenski is very much caught in the middle of this. He's clearly doing the best he can to agree to the proposals that have been put forward to him. But really what we need to see is a lot more pressure on the Kremlin and on Vladimir Putin.
Speaker 3: I thought it was really concerning last week when we saw that Trump temporarily cut off intelligence to Ukraine, and it seemed like Russia took advantage of that immediately and bombarded Ukraine in a way that it hadn't for some time.
Speaker 2: You know, what can you tell us about that?
Speaker 11: Yeah? Look, I think it was always likely that Putin would use that opportunity to try and to push as hard as he could on Ukraine to try and destroy its morale. Remember, Ukraine and morale has been very high and very sustained for three years now. They've taken enormous battering and they have dug as deep as any country could do in order to keep fighting. The blow that came, you know, the lot the morale blow that came with the discontinuation of US support temporary that it was must have been very very severe in Ukraine. I think Putin took advantage of that. So, look, I would go back to the fact that this is all about now who has the strongest position going into negotiation. What we really need is for Putin to be weakened going into negotiations and be forced to make compromises, And we need Zelenski and the Ukrainians their hand to be strengthened as much as possible. That includes on the battlefield, because whoever holds the battlefield advantage and the momentum is going to go into negotiations in a stronger position. That's really really important. And of course, due to their size and their depth, the Russians have had that long term attrition style advantage in the fight in the battlefield for the last year or so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, we'll stick with that story as it develops. Of course, now I want to ask you about this fascinating piece round in the finn Review. But it was an international piece of journalism about Russia's continued use of honey traps to ensnare Western diplomats, and one diplomat in the article describes being surrounded by female Russian agents who were sent to entrap him. I mean, David, yes, it's very Cold War esque, but it's so surprising, or maybe it isn't that in the age of high tech that there aren't more modern techniques used to extract information or encourage cooperation, that these old methods are still being used.
Speaker 11: I mean, they say espionage is the second oldest profession in the world, so it makes sense I suppose to blend the oldest and the second oldest. I heard an intelligence chief once it told me that he described it as hacking humans. Look, cyber espionage is big business, no doubt about it. There are high tech ways of stealing secrets, but really the greatest frailty, the greatest vulnerability are still those human weaknesses, and the obvious points of vulnerability are things like lust and greed and fear. So it makes sense that offering government officials sexual opportunities, or offering them bribes in the form of money, or putting the fear of God into them by threatening them with one thing or another, some kind of coercion, threatening their families, things like this are the best way to flip them and get them to give away secrets, so it is extremely effective. Still, a vulnerable human is weaker than a well protected computer system. Unfortunately, if you want a quick anecdote, at the risk of churning your viewers stomachs, I did hear just recently about a Swedish foreign affairs a senior foreign affairs individual who was the intended victim of a honeytrap. The woman was so persistent that in the end he actually feigned diarrhea just to get away from her, because nothing else was working. So that gives you an idea about what people have to deal with or.
Speaker 3: They have to start training them at intelligence school to come up with good excuses for persistent Russia women in disguise. All right, David wrote, really appreciate your time, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Still to come.
Speaker 3: Progressive media continue to peddle this narrative that Dutton has a so called women problem. But is it maybe that the left wing papers have a problem with Dutton instead. I'll talk about that with Gary Hargraves and David Gazard a bit later, but first, Australia's Richest two fifty. Usually we don't see much movement at the top. This shock entrance this year. Those details up next. The Australian newspaper tomorrow will release its list of Australia's richest two hundred and fifty people. And while there are the usual suspects, there are some surprises as well. And for more I spoke with the Australian's Richest two fifty editor John Stenslt a little earlier. John, thank you so much for joining us and congratulations again on all your hard work. Look, Gina ryan Hart is number one on the list. Not surprising But who is the new controversial name that has now hit the top ten this year?
Speaker 8: Richard White from wise Tech Global Sharhi.
Speaker 12: He's had quite an amazing year in so many ways, sex scandals and corporate governments issues at wise Tech, which is the big software firm that he owns. People thought he would have had a huge issue that would have affected as well, right, But he's actually put on five billion dollars this.
Speaker 8: Year, would you believe?
Speaker 2: From Wow?
Speaker 12: A year ago that would have been eight billion, but the share price did go down a few weeks ago. Win four directors on his board Quid. But he's still up to about fourteen point eight billion dollars this year, So he vaults into our top ten after what has been a pretty controversial and I guess memorable year in a way too.
Speaker 3: Look, you've interviewed dozens of rich listers for the magazine tomorrow. What's the most interesting story that we should look out for?
Speaker 12: Well, I mean, we do have a lot of billionaires in there is you can imagine some amazing cover stories and all that sort of thing. But I love this story that I wrote about a company called Penride, which is an oil company. There's eight kids and a ninety three year old matriarch, Margaret Diamond. They call themselves the Rough Diamonds. There's just a bunch of pretty normal down to worth people from suburban Melbourne and they've built this amazing company over the years. They've almost owned it for forty six years, it is, they've owned it. The company's one hundred years old next year and they're still going strong. There's eight kids that have worked in the business at various stages and they were just brilliant. I got this amazing photo of all of them, the dogs, the mum's dogs in the picture. I think it's just a great buzzy success story. They've really gone up and down along the way roller coaster ride, you know, family tragedies and some one as well. Such an interesting story and I think it's quite inspirational for people out there too.
Speaker 3: M that does sound like something that's going to be great to read about. John, What about the trends? How does the ritual list differ this year from last? Because I remember we spoke last year and already there had been some movement. You know, perhaps the tech sector has been hit a bit this year. Crypto tell us.
Speaker 12: Well, the tech sector is still going really well. It's come off a little bit in the last couple of months, but if you go from a year ago.
Speaker 8: It's still well ahead of it.
Speaker 12: Look, yeah, I mean you've obviously got those names like Richard White and the Atlassian guys that are there too, Mike cannon Brooks and Scott far Quit. They've put on a lot of wealth because there are a Lasian shares are up, you know, brought some private jets too, right, So a lot going on there. I think there's also a story in the manufacturing comeback too right. People are still making things. You know, Anthony Pratt with his boxes, we all know about that. But the pen Right people that manufacture oil and suburban Melbourne are a great idea, a great story, and so there's a lot of you know, still really interesting stories like that around in old in old money, I guess, or old technologies. But you know, clearly software and all those things are huge these days too.
Speaker 3: We saw your interview with James Packer. He said, you know, he's had one of the best years in a long time.
Speaker 12: Yeah, as Look, I mean he's feeling really good about himself. He's got tech investments that have gone really well in the last year. He's got he's got back into the movie game pack his movie businesses back.
Speaker 8: He's also investing in.
Speaker 12: Property actually here in Australia through a couple of people that he worked with previously back in there's boutique apartment developments in Sydney and elsewhere. So look, he's at a pretty good stage of his life now, right, He's feeling pretty good. He gave us an interview and I think he's in a pretty good space because his investments are going well too.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I spoke to him about a month ago now ahead of our anti Semitism summit, and he did seem really well then as well. Look, John, I mean putting this together, you must spend so much time on super yachts and jets interviewing billionaires.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us some fun stories from behind the scenes.
Speaker 8: Look, yeah, I've sent a bit of that over my time, Sharia. You know, it's the glamorous lifestyle as I spent the time of my desk.
Speaker 12: Really yeah, I mean you know, we got our cover story Lawrence esca Lante.
Speaker 8: I went over to Perth and interviewed him there.
Speaker 12: That was amazing, and then we got him photographed in Sydney almost pretty much on the edge of a not a cliff, with the edge of a sort of house. It sort of overlooks South Couldji. It's an amazing photo that's on the front seat. You get to do things like that, so you know, you get to meet these fascinating people, hanging out with them for a while, get a little bit of a bit of an insight into their lifestyle.
Speaker 8: But then I have to go back to my desk and write it all up.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that's the fun part.
Speaker 3: But the photograph, you know, you mentioned the photography and it is always so beautiful, really creative.
Speaker 2: And I can't wait to see the shots.
Speaker 3: John, appreciate your time and again congratulations, Thanks Sarry. And that of course is in the Australian newspaper tomorrow. Now, don't go anywhere yet. You know the left are getting desk. But when they start talking about Dutton's women problem. Plus, after nine months up in space, how did the astronauts resettle back on Earth. We'll talk about this with Gary Hargraves and David Gazard. Next, Welcome back and let's bring in tonight's political panel. Sky News contributer Garry Hargrave and DPG Advisory Solutions fromer Advisor to John Howard David Gazard, Welcome to you both. Look, we're starting to see the left wing media run this line that Dutton has a problem with the women voters. I mean it's the same old playbook, a repeat of Tony Abbott so called women problem.
Speaker 2: Then Scott Morrison's too. Gary.
Speaker 3: There was this shocking line in this article that women have some spidy sense and they can tell that Dutton's not really a great guy. I mean, what absolute nonsense that half the population have a spidy sense.
Speaker 13: Look, you're asking a mere Mile Sharry, and of course there is a strong intuition that runs through the female gender that no doubt in my mind. Look, all I know is that Peter Dutton can't have a problem with anybody that meets him. Everybody who meets him likes him. The guy is funny, he's down to earth, he's straightforward, is a straight shooter. So look, I think more people need to meet Peter Dutton, more people need to hear from him. But the thing that women do pick up on first and foremost is they want to know what the values are, where things are going, and all that sort of stuff. So I think Peter's just got to be very clear and articulate about the kind of government he would lead. The details will follow. People want to understand this common sense and practical, straightforward stuff. Women pick up on this a lot faster than Bloke, so I'll give.
Speaker 8: Them that much.
Speaker 13: That part I do do understand, but I think women will back him in once they get to know him.
Speaker 3: David, I just think this gender narrative is nonsense because it always seems that Labor tries to whip up the claim that the coal issue has a women problem.
Speaker 14: And certain newspapers. I mean, Gary, I'm a humble white male, so what would I know, right?
Speaker 1: But here's the point.
Speaker 14: Ada Dublin has been in the Parliament in a marginal seat for the twenty years, so there's a heck of a lot of women who voted for him consistently over that time in a difficult seat. He either has all of the men and none of the women in Dixon, or maybe the women quite like him in Dixon as well. Now he's got female staff exactly very loyal to him, he's got female colleagues who like him. He's ahead in most opinion polls now, so there are a lot of women across Australia that seem to like Peter Dutton and they like where he's going on a whole bunch of values based equations that maybe Jenner Price in the City Morning Herald doesn't quite agree with, but that's her opinion and will leave it to the women in Dixon and elsewhere to vote when the time comes.
Speaker 3: And ultimately, the issues that are defining this election are cost of living, national security, crime in Victoria exact, and those are not specific to any particular gender. But I want to talk about these extraordinary astronauts who finally returned to Earth yesterday after nine months stuck in space. They're only meant to be there for eight days. Now we're learning that gravity does have a serious impact in the human body. The pair will likely need to spend weeks in physical therapy to recover their strength. I mean, this has been quite an extraordinary saga for the astronauts. They would have been desperate to see their families, but Gary, it seems like it's quite a journey still ahead for them physically.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Absolutely, And this whole space travel thing is still been learned real time on real people.
Speaker 1: And you know, we're all sort.
Speaker 13: Of comfortable and thinking, oh, well, you know, a man walked on the Moon back nineteen sixty nine, so this is all every day.
Speaker 1: No, it's not. It's all extraordinary. Every mission is tainted with risk.
Speaker 13: And I saw Elin Mask outlining exactly what the kind of risk could be with any of these things. And so here you've got these terrific Americans who are just now going to have to relearn how to walk. They're going to be slightly longer, apparently, the body grows in length, the hearts compressors, they're going to have osteoporosis issues, all these things ahead of them. So thank Heaven's Elon Musk had his act together as a private citizen and actually made this rescue possible.
Speaker 1: My thoughts are with them and their family.
Speaker 13: A bit of a road ahead, but we are learning, real time, on real people, all aspects of space travel. And Mask wants to take us to Mars twenty thirty years from now.
Speaker 1: I want to live long enough to see it happen. Shari.
Speaker 3: I have no interest in you know, it doesn't matter to me whether we go to Mars or not. But I do think it was utterly extraordinary to watch Elon Musk safely bring these astronauts back down. I mean something that now on their own, could it manage? David, what do you think about this.
Speaker 1: Props?
Speaker 14: By the way, and I hope your viewers got to see this, but for the bright spark that came with the alien masks, so when they opened the door, they thought they'd be doctor from the galaxy. But look, I would imagine putting it for the demon like us who might do a bit of weekend.
Speaker 1: Sport or whatever.
Speaker 14: It would be like waking up from a coma and them saying, you've got to run a marathon the next day. I mean, have not had a stress from gravity. As Gary says, their muscles have lengthened, they've become weaker because they've had no physical exercise to do. Their joints change, their bone structure changes. So I think it's going to be a long, hard road of just you know, getting back to the basics of physical exercise so they can resume normal lives on planet Earth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would just be so difficult, truly, just back to that thing about Mars by the way, you know, I think Elon Musk is truly one of the maybe the most the smartest man in the Earth, you know, the greatest genius on this earth.
Speaker 2: But why can't he be solving cancer?
Speaker 3: Why can't he put his utter intelligence to solving cancer, not going to Mars. Wouldn't that be a better ambition right now?
Speaker 1: Gary, Well, maybe you can do both. I don't know, Sharry.
Speaker 13: He's making the point that there's a lot of technical advances that come from the Space Race. A lot of the stuff we have today that every day has come from the Space Race. A lot of the stuff we've got in our cars. Our cars are technically computerized, far more complex than the lunar landing module in nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 1: So I think that all of the things.
Speaker 13: You're talking about, the ambitions for here on Earth is reasonable, but there is need for some of the space race to drive that technology. I hope there is one day that kind of cure, not a Joe Biden cure, a real.
Speaker 2: One, no exactly.
Speaker 3: At twenty second, David Gazard, how do you think the election campaign's going right now?
Speaker 14: I think we're seeing a race of two Australias and the national polls are not really getting it right in the seats that really matter, which are the out of Metro seats, places where there's massive cost of living concerns, places where there's law and order concerns. Until you to get a decent poll on the marginal seats that matter, we're not going to know what this raises about because at the moment we're doing it naturally and that brings in labor and teal seats.
Speaker 3: All right, well, pick that conversation up next week. Thank you both so much for your time. It's all we have time tonight. I'll see you Monday at eight. And here's Paul