Speaker 1: The public has had a long held fascination with detectives. Detective sy aside of life the average person is never exposed to. I spent thirty four years as a cop. For twenty five of those years I was catching killers. That's what I did for a living. I was a homicide detective. I'm no longer just interviewing bad guys. Instead, I'm taking the public into the world in which I operated. The guests I talk to each week have amazing stories from all sides of the law. The interviews are raw and honest, just like the people I talk to. Some of the content and language might be confronting. That's because no one who comes into contact with crime is left unchanged. Join me now as I take you into this world. Who the hell are these sovereign citizens? What do they stand for? Why are we talking about them? And are they something we should be concerned about. Recently, two police officers were killed in Victoria, allegedly by a person who identify himself as a sovereign citizen. At the time of recording, that man is still on the run. In twenty twenty two, two other police officers were shot and killed in Queensland by Gareth Train who supported the Sovereign Citizen movement. So yes, I think we should be concerned by the Sovereign Citizen movement today. I spake to Scott Man. Scott's former partner, Helen Delaney, is a co founder and self proclaimed leader of the Sovereign Citizen group Nam Dhaka Dhala australis also known as NDA. You're going to be shocked by what he has to say and what has happened to him and his children, including his concerns of the children being kidnapped. Scott now has sole custody of his children, but he's living in fear every day that they might be taken from him. It's not the way you want to live your life. Our conversation gave me a greater understanding of what the Sovereign Citizen movement is all about and the dangers we face when ideologies become extreme. It's really quite scary. Scott Murran, welcome to our Catch Killers.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Garret. It's a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Well I'm guessing here, but I think you'd prefer to be listening to a podcast, a true crime podcast, and being the guest on a true christ Yes. Yeah, but life hasn't turned out that way, has it with things that you've been through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: We're going to be touching because your wife and a former wife, Helen Delaney, got involved in a sovereign citizen movement and that sort of your life was never the same.
Speaker 2: Following that until this day.
Speaker 1: So we're going to talk about it. And people would have have recent times heard of sovereign citizens coming into the narrative, recent shooting of two police officers down in Victoria with a person who identified as a sovereign citizen, And I don't know, maybe your perspective is completely different because what you've been through, But when you ago, i'd see someone who claimed to be a sovereign citizen, I'd have a bit of a chuckle and think it's all harmless.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was me at the beginning too. Yeah, they're just clowns, is what I thought. Yeah, but the further you delve into what they put online and their communication with each other, it's a very serious matter. And when you get to a point of threatening to take somebody's children, I treat that very seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's definitely, and that's where the ideology when they start acting on their ideology, and it becomes transfixed on it, it can become problematic. Before we get into our conversation, I should clarify here your former wife, Helen Delaney, has been convicted at court for eleven counts of breaching an AVA and one count of intimidation.
Speaker 2: That's correct, Yep, that is correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, we're going to talk about what happened to you and the journey you've been on and protecting your children, but we're also going to talk about sovereign citizens in general, and I probably should. We'll talk about like while I recently what I mentioned about the two police officers in Victoria who were murdered, and then in twenty twenty two there was two other police officers who were murdered when they were shot by a person who identified with sovereign citizen ideology. I think his name was Gareth Traine. Yes, that was in twenty twenty two. So, just as by way of a disclaimer, I need to make it very clear we're not suggesting all sovereign citizens are capable of committing such horrendous crimes or Helen. Then the nam Daka Dahalia Australias, which is the sovereign citizen.
Speaker 2: Group, it was a group that she formed, Yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: That she formed for that matter of linked or would carry out crimes of that nature. So I just sort of put that on record. But I think it's worthwhile talking about crimes like that and how they are linked to people with these sovereign citizen beliefs and ideology.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I agree, because the first time I've heard about it, or the first time it really became part of my understanding, was during COVID, where people were coming out and they were pushing against the powers of the state and the lockdown laws and the mandatory vaccinations and all the type of things that people were generally concerned about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they also go under the monarch of freedom fighters because sovereign citizen is an oxymoron. You can't be a sovereign and a citizen. You'll hear them say that a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it's not just one group. There's a whole ranger groups that we've come across. Ye, And they just they meet online, they talk in secret chat rooms and to me, have whatever thoughts or beliefs or ideologies you want. But when you start acting on them and you start including people's children, yeah, it's game on for me.
Speaker 1: Well that's where they cross the line with the impact that it's had on you. And we're going to get deep dive into that. And you say, oxymoron about sovereign citizens. I want to when maybe we do it in part two, just you know, sort of pick apart some of the philosophies of a sovereign citizen because it doesn't seem to add up to one thing that what they're they're claiming, and then how they're living their life. So we'll have a look at that. Tell me a little bit just about your background, so people listening to the podcast understand where you can.
Speaker 2: Before this, I was just a pretty simple living sort of person. Grew up in housing commission in Globe Yep. You know, got an education there. As I mentioned to you before that you don't get in school. I think you've had people.
Speaker 1: I'm just just focusing through who would you know, because yeah, Gleb, it.
Speaker 2: Was a lot of them.
Speaker 1: It was. It was a tough, tough neighborhood to grow up on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and before it became a trendy in the western yeah suburb it was the projects, So it was a tough place to grow up.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you've identified that you wouldn't be the first guess that sat in that chair that grew up up round the globe. Okay, so that was your childhood and then into adulthood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just sort of got wasn't that into school? So I got out of school in year ten and I started an apprenticeship. I sort of did that for a while three years, discovered girls and through the apprenticeship away and just pretty.
Speaker 1: Much make some great decisions at that age.
Speaker 2: Me and women. It's a big drama, but yeah, I just sort of have been from job to job very much. Yeah, okay, whatever I had to do.
Speaker 1: Now, you've had from your first wife, I understand that you had had a child, yeah, her first wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a daughter that's twenty seven. Yeah, she's a psychologist, which has been helpful through this. And then yeah, series of failed relationships after that, some of which I was probably to blame for.
Speaker 1: Gary, Okay, let's break the hat right down. I've never had admissions like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, I understand like relationships are complicated, and yeah, they when they fall apart, that things can deteriorate rather quickly. But there's always two sides to the story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, never quite like this one.
Speaker 1: No, I've got to say, like, I've made some mistakes in relationships as well, but I don't think I've gone down as bad as you have in what's happened with your relationship with Helen? Yeah, so when did you get with Helen?
Speaker 2: So I was working as a security guard YEP in Sydney, doing some very interesting work in that alone, and we just I met. I was sort of like, I'm working, you know, up until one hundred hours a week, no time to meet anybody. Didn't feel like I was going to meet my future wife on a nightclub door. And then after that I sort of just started to look into that internet dating and we clicked through that. At the time, she was a film producer, working on big stuff like Superman, The Matrix, that sort of stuff, pretty good, making quite successful. Yeah, yeah, yeah. And then once we discovered we had a child on the way, my oldest son. She had a home up in Newcastle, so I was able to get work up there with the same company I worked for, and we went to Newcastle and I worked in the advertising business as a producer, and I was working nights so I could be daddy day care during the day. Yeah, and Newcastle beautiful spot. It was great. Yeah, I thought we'd live there forever. And then my mum, who's ninety five and still lives with me today. She was in the family home down the coast and she sort of got to a stage in life where she needed help. She didn't want to go into a nursing home, and I made a promise that, you know, I wouldn't do that, So we shifted down there, and shortly after, oh no, sorry, we had Grace, who I mentioned to you before we lost the child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was a spine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they didn't find out until very late in the pregnancy. So we had to go through the birth of Grace and she didn't survive that day, which was tough.
Speaker 1: A lot of trauma associated with a situation.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, yeah, very tough. First time I did counseling was kids and kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I used to believe that was all, you know, spooks and widows. But yeah, it helped me get through that. We shifted down to live with mum, sort of start fresh, and along come my third son. And after the birth of my third son, we sort of I was working, but she wanted to go back to work. She went back to work and again, I went back into the role of daddy daycare.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and how did you find that like it?
Speaker 2: Loved it? Yeah, yeah, loved it. Sometimes the only bloke at the park with all the mums and the stroll and stuff, But yeah I did. I loved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there's a lot said for it, isn't Yeah you've done something like that. Yeah, I know some friends that have gone down that path, and yeah I didn't have that our rewarding it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't have it with my daughter. But I'm a strong believer in that tummy time. So straight after all of my children were born, I did that tummy time.
Speaker 1: Spent spending time with the kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and I for me, that just gives us an unbreakable bond, which you know still there today.
Speaker 1: It's shown through. Okay. So it was a fairly every when I say average life, it was a life that you were living and a simple life, and you everything was going well at that stage.
Speaker 3: And then when did it start to So when she went back in the relationship, when she went back to work, she became a real estate agent, selling land in a subdivision.
Speaker 2: And it was just at the time real estate was really slow where we live, and then there was a boom and I think she claimed one day to have sold twelve million dollars worth of property record sales day, that sort of thing. And you know, she was good at what she did. Cut from that, Yes, life was good. Yeah, yeah, and she sort of that was where it started. She wanted to get into property investing in when we bought a couple of properties like I mentioned too before, and that was out of equity within my family home, having lost a home earlier in life through another interesting relationship which was right next door to the property that I now live in.
Speaker 1: Scott Maybe we should talk off camera. I had a tendency to and I should reveal this, But anyway, I'm asking you a lot of questions. I had a tendency to buy property in the in the peak and selling the slump. And I worked out if I had adjusted my relationships by two years, I would have been buying in the slump and selling in the I would have a lot more money.
Speaker 2: From when I was thirty till today. Financially, I have just made a mess of my life in terms of property and women.
Speaker 1: Well, well it happens, so yeah, I'm certainly not sitting here in judgment of you, I wanted to talk. We've got a sense of the relationship at this stage. Now i'll talk specifically about Helen a little bit more detail about it, but before we do, just so that our listeners and can get a sense of what we're talking about, because she, how would I put this, became rather notorious is probably the best word. When she featured on a YouTube sensation when she's been arrested by police and refused to abide by their decisions. And I just want to play that, and then we'll talk about Helen in more detail, sure, because this will give people a sense of what we're talking about. I should clarify this is after you've separated from her. This is down the track when she's very much embroiled and caught up in the sovereign citizen.
Speaker 4: Okay, on this land, I'll look at arrest you absolutely what we are not driving, We are traveling. You guys don't even know what you'se are on about. I need your most senior, most JEU. We'll bring your most senior sergeant down.
Speaker 1: Sir.
Speaker 4: You prode details, you will be arrested. We don't have to give you any details. There is any you will commit offense, You'll be liable for it. It is absolutely trespassed. You've got no jurisdiction here, Bro, you're committing offense by standing here, Yes you are. You don't know, you don't have any jurisdiction on this on this land. I'll look at arrest you absolutely, man. I would love to just get you one on one.
Speaker 1: Drive you.
Speaker 2: To the vehicle under arrest.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what we what we just watched there? Helen was the driver of the vehicle. Police have stopped her. The aggressive man's voice you can hear that was a passenger in the in the vehicle at the time. Helen was stopped and claimed that the police or you know in summary, that had no authority over her because she identified as a sovereign sovereign citizen. Were you shocked when you saw that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not the person that I spent ten years of my life with and had three children to. Yeah, a completely different person.
Speaker 1: Because I remember remember seeing seeing that and it sawt of where it goes from a little bit funny to a little bit more serious. Now she was arrested on that. I think there were some warrants in existence, and I know the police come under criticism and ripping the window out because what we saw on the video was the police officer actually ripped the front driver's window out and smashed it. But what the police to do in that situation if someone's not recognizing their power, they can't they don't know what's in the car. They can't just person person drive off. So that's sort of for I played that because I want people to understand the difference between what Helen was when you first met her, or the type of person that she was, to what she evolved.
Speaker 2: Into essentially two different people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is what Helen's got involved in. How long were you guys together?
Speaker 2: Ten years?
Speaker 1: Ten years all up? And when you separated? When was that? How long you separated after ten years or were before then? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Just before ten years we separated and it was amicable at the start, fifty to fifty custody of the boys. We didn't go to court.
Speaker 1: You're doing the seven days on, seven days off type.
Speaker 2: Scene, how I was, Yeah, Yeah, and the children are happy. They went to the same We lived a suburb apart. Everything was fine until I believe Christmas. I couldn't recall a year, but they basically the children were eight and eleven I think at the time, and the kids come to me on Christmas Eve I believe it was, and said, oh, we're moving to Sydney and I said, that's news to me. So that was kind of the beginning of where we went off the edge of the cliff.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, So up until this point it was an amicable separation.
Speaker 2: Hady courts, property finances. Everything we did what they call is a binding financial agreement. Yeah yeah, and yeah, we're all.
Speaker 1: Happy and living close proximity, so the kids' lives weren't messed up too much prior to that separation. And something around the time of the separation, Helen started to become in her mind a property guru is my reading of it. Also started listening to the self help but what's his name, Matte So.
Speaker 2: It was Gary Vanderchuk. Yeah, he's yeah, I think another one of Listen Jane Clarkson something, and she started to really push that towards me. You know, we could be sitting on a yacht in the Greek Isles and doing this and that's people that know me. That's not me, Gary, I win Lotto. I'm probably shouting the boys down the pub I'm not sitting at a super yacht. So yeah, she became obsessed with she wanted five properties in five years. As I mentioned to her before, she we had two properties. They were out of the equity in my family home. And I just wasn't going to do five properties in five years. I'm a bit more risk averse than that. And what I said to her, well, what she said to me was, you know, you're a glass half full person. You don't want anything better in life. And I was like, when you met me, this is the person I was. You're not going to change me into something I'm not. I don't want to beat it rich and famous.
Speaker 1: You can see how that would wear thin on the relationship or put cracks in the relationship. But I get the sense, and I'm asking, I'm not saying, but the sense that I get is that she really bought into it. I liken it too. You know when m Way salesman used to come around and a friend had get caught up in it and there yeah, suddenly, yeah, yeah, I'm going to take over the world and this is the best thing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interestingly, she took me along to one of the meetings and we were sitting there and I thought they were rushes all there on one side. They're in the dark, and these people were sort of saying, oh, listen, we're gonna we can do this for you, and then you've got to buy a tape off them, you know, and then if you pay a bit more, you're on the platinum level. And as they turn the lights on, all these ushes were standing there with not coffee and tea, they were standing there with FPOs machines. And he goes the first fifty people, you know, we'll get this steel for four eight hundred dollars or something, and I think I even put my hand on a leg and I just said, we're not doing that, and she goes, I already got the early bird price. I've gone and spent four and a half greend or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting, but this is all going in the whole psychology of how people get caught up in ideologies, because I've been to and it was over in Western Australia. For the life of me, I can't remember what the name of it was, but it was on the weekend Saturday, and it was all people up there saying this, you know, the world's roy so you can have an I don't think and if you just believe and exactly the same thing, not in seeing there with the lights off, but people ready to sign up if you get in early. And I watched people get up and literally run to the air where.
Speaker 2: You know, like a rock concert. They were actually knocking each other over to get over there and put the credit card on the machine.
Speaker 1: I found it entertaining and it was slightly humorous, but it was also it shocked me. But I think there in lies where people might be susceptible to getting caught up in the ideology of a sovereign citizen. They got that susceptibility to get into their mind and go, that's what I'm missing, that's what I'm looking for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and to me, I'm adding up, you know, five grand per twenty people, and then you know, the first fifty I'm going, this is a pretty good earn for a day, you know. And then we went to the Sydney one that was around the country, all major capitals, and I was just like, no, this is not I'm not doing this. That's when I started to get the feelings of losing the family home. Something mild men worked every weekend to get us out of housing commission and give us a better life.
Speaker 1: Understandable.
Speaker 2: So I wasn't going to lose that, hay, And you.
Speaker 1: Get it drummed into you that you've got to have a roof over your head. One is she tripped over to America pursuing this type of stuff as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was when I called quits on the relationship. So she booked a trip to America. Good friend to mine did some research and said she's paid like four or five grand for a ticket to this three day event, and off she went, you know, And as she went out the door that morning, I said, when you get back, relationships finished, will sort out what we have to do with the kids in the properties. But I'm not going on this journey with you. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: So the separation then, so it was her life was heading in a different direction. You wanted to keep the life that you would work, simple life, and okay, so you separate. So I understand that. Then it comes to that Christmas Eve where the kids have said we're moving, which is a devastating thing.
Speaker 2: Like the timing was incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but like that is where that's where people lose their shit over, Like when the kids have been moved in the state or a long way away when they've been living close and then's yeah, it doesn't do anyone any good.
Speaker 2: Now, and to put your clear on that go. What happened was my son asked me to go and talk to his mother who was next door, and say, you know, I don't I don't want to go.
Speaker 1: How I was his son at the time.
Speaker 2: He was around ten or eleven, okay to their friends. No, he was going into year six at primary school, you know, formal at the end, all his friends that sort of. He didn't want to leave, and she basically told me I was being abusive. Was sitting at a table having a conversation. My son was present, and I said, look, I'm just going to leave. This is not my home or walk outside. It was a mother's house at the time, and she convinced my son to stay with her for the night. The next morning he said, we're going to Sydney. I've changed my mind. I was like, mate, that's a big change. But not wanting to have the kids torn between mum and.
Speaker 1: Dad, I understand it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just said, you know, if you're going to go, then when you go. If they don't want to be there they come back.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: That was probably the first mistake I made, big mistake, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because it was a number of days or a period of time before you saw or heard from the kids again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I saw them sporadically over that time. Sometimes it was fortnightly, sometimes it was monthly. But also not wanting to upset the kids. They were put into forty teams. They love their footing, and they were you know, they had a game on or there was always something or I was working.
Speaker 1: So when the kid and we're talking, what three hours away from where you were living.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, they moved to Dremoyne, Sydney.
Speaker 1: So it's something that you couldn't facilitate, not feasible for them to play football up there and be at yours on the.
Speaker 2: Week Yeah, otherwise are going to spend every weekend in the car. Yeah, and the youngest one doesn't like sitting in the car for more than ten minutes. So it's a big ass. So I had to take a bit of a backward step there for a while.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what was the next thing that happened in this situation?
Speaker 2: Then one easter a bit further down the track, the kids were getting harder to contact. This is around the time of the Lismore floods.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what period of time has expired from when they moved to Sydney to when it was getting harder to contact?
Speaker 2: Someone was in year six and then went into year seven, so we're talking within twelve months.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I found out they were up in Lizmore the liz More floods. They told me on the phone. You know, I'm helping, we're helping to get money.
Speaker 1: You thought they were still living at Sydney.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no knowledge.
Speaker 1: So they're up at the Lizmore floods yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the person that's in the car with Helen there, he's been sort of a pivotal role in where she's been at times.
Speaker 1: You referred to that. That was the voice that we heard when Helen was arrested on the video. So he's been a fixture in her life certainly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So your kids are up in liz Moore around the time of the Lizmore floods and what were they doing up there?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Brion might have found out a lot of this down the track, but they were going around getting donations and things like that. For to help people out in the angerble camp. Yeah, that's where that person we've mentioned before was living. And the kids we're living, sometimes sleeping in their car, sometimes in tin shacks.
Speaker 1: How old were the kids then.
Speaker 2: So still around that same age of eight or nine years of age, and then the eldest one was about eleven twelve.
Speaker 1: Okay. Now I can only imagine from your point of view how concerning it would be that you're losing touch with your kids. I'm assuming you didn't have a lot of direct contact with Helen at that time.
Speaker 2: Not a lot, just emails mainly and the odd text message. But I quickly worked out it wasn't a lot of truth in what she was saying was happening and what was actually happening.
Speaker 1: And in that period of time, did you get the weekends with the kids or school holidays?
Speaker 2: Yeah? On and off. The kids come to me one Christmas, this is around the time of the Canbra protests. Yeah, and we met sort of halfway between Camber and where I live. The kids got in the car Gary and they smelt that badly that I did the fifty k trip back home of all four windows down and chucked them in the shower as soon as I got them home.
Speaker 1: Right now, when you say it smelt badly, as in they hadn't been bathing.
Speaker 2: Just any somebody that's sleeping, sleeping rough Yeah, yeah, yeah, they looked terrible. They didn't look like my kids.
Speaker 1: How did you feel as a father there?
Speaker 2: I was gutted, Yeah, and remembering that they're not in my custody yet at that stage. So that's when I'm starting to think was.
Speaker 1: There any order? Was there any order at that stage of the custody or it's still yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: No there was, there was none. So the kids appeared in a news clip when the fires happened in Old Parliament House.
Speaker 1: Okay, now we're talking about the protests at the Parliament House in the tenth Embassy. Is that the process we're talking about when there were attempts to set Old Parliament a light or that's how it was reported something?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And as I'm sure you from the photo I sent you, my two boys were right there front and center.
Speaker 1: So how did you discover that?
Speaker 2: I believe it was my daughter called me and said because I'd actually made contact with Helen's mum, who I got on very well with, and I said, I don't want the children going to Canberra. Yeah, I can't see him to talk any sense into her. I don't want them at the protests. They're becoming violent. She said she's not there, and I said, I've just had a phone call that the kids are there, you know, and I remember the words very clearly Gary. I said to her, I'm going to take those children away from her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and okay, so I can see you concern caught up in that environment. I then picking them up and yeah, as you describe, smelling obviously not being looked after properly. Yeah, so what do you do in that situation? Mat?
Speaker 2: I went straight into the nearest police station and said, my kids are in Canberra at this stuff. How do I get them back? And I'm sure you probably remember from policing days nobody likes being on the front desk.
Speaker 1: Would have been ducking for ducking for cover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and so pretty much got what can we do? Contact the Federal police. So I did that and they said we're aware that there's the kids were actually staying at that time in the ten embassy down there. More and more stuff was, you know, people are ringing me and saying I'm seeing your kids on TV and things like that. It just got to a I started the panic, I guess, so I wrung the federal police. They said, yeah, we were aware of these kids in amongst this. What do you want us to do? Just storm on in there and pick your kids up? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, who else do you go to if you can't get to the police? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I want to make clear from the start, Garrier, I'm not here to bash the police, the local police and the police that I've dealt with throughout this, and I've dealt with a lot. Yeah, have been fantastic. I've had police that have been off duty coming reach me in the shops multiple times and just ask how the boys are going, because they've been on the journey with us, they know how crazy it's gotten. And yeah, I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: You know, how did you make the reconnection with the kids? How did you get the boys? Boys back?
Speaker 2: So after that, I went to the nearest lawyer's office in town Lucky. I stumbled into a good one and I said, what do I do? This is what's going on. They said, you know, have you got the money for It's expensive, as lawyers are, and I said, yeah, I'll find the money. You know, what do we do? How do we How do I get my children back? I was told pretty much it's very difficult, particularly if you're a dad trying to get the kids back from the mum. And I did an initial interview again. At this stage I only knew little bits and pieces. I didn't know a lot. And then fast forward from there to east of school holidays. The two boys come to stay with me, and my eldest son said, Dad, I'm not going back.
Speaker 1: How old was he at this.
Speaker 2: Stage he would have been twelve and a half. Their adounts he was in high school, first year of high school. So this is where it gets a bit dark every but he said to me what was going on. He's a super intelligent young kid, so in order to prove to me what was going on, he was taking photos of everything. He was storing, like dropping pins on maps. We stayed here, we slept here in the car, We did this sort of thing, and he said, if you make me go back, I've got my bus pass. Instead of getting on the bus pass to go to school, I'm going to use it to go to Central station. I know the train timetables. I've saved some money up, I'm going to jump on a train and I'll keep doing that until you let me stay. He even looked up this how smart as he looked up and worked out where the phone box was out the front, and he said, I know, I've I ring you at ten o'clock at night from that phone box. You'll turn up. So he had a lot going on in his mind, and too much for a twelve year old.
Speaker 1: Want your kid's going through that, But good on him to see, yea that he needed to get get away. So yeah, okay, so you're presented with that, what do you do? And I asked this genuinely because it's such a difficult situation to find yourself in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mate, I just I'm a strong believer in gut instinct, So I just whether the things I thought things were right or wrong at the time, I went off what my gut told me to do. A little interesting side story is that my son went fishing at the local wharf and a kid was intimidating him. He was trying to pick up his gear and get out of there. Quit he dropped the phone with all the evidence in the water. It was a stormy day. You couldn't see in the bottom of the water. I'm thinking, of great, we've lost a lot. As the lawyers were telling me, you know, there's a lot of stuff that will help in there. So I went to work and I was telling the boys at work about it. And when the boys said, I know, guy, that's a diver. When you see you'll go and have a look. I says, it's been in the water overnight, there's been a storm. He goes, you can't, can't to give it a go. Thank god he did, so I get I call this young kid up. He goes down and closes the wharf off. Whether that was legal or not, I don't know, and does a grid search in probably five foot of water back and forwards with his hands. He said he had no visibility, couldn't find the phone. I said, thanks for trying. You know it's going to sling him some cash. And he said what color was it again? And I said green. I'm color blind, Gary, so I'm guessing colors. What happened was my son was still there with me. He turned around and said, Dad, look back of the phone case is white. The diver said, give me a second. He goes down and what he thought was a bit of rubbish lodged in the barnacles on the side of that wharf. It was my son's phone, So you know, the universe helped us a bit there. But we took that phone to her phone fixed place and they were able to abstract extract all of.
Speaker 1: The information information. Okay, well that that would have helped. So you've got evidence that the way the children have been treated in their life. You've engaged a solicitor. What is the next step the family law court?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. I was told to go hard early. I had Initially I had a family law solicitor. Then they said, no, you're not a specialist. That specialist then said we're going to need a barrister as well. And I'm thinking, he goes your bank account and the family car, whatever I can get rid of.
Speaker 1: It's horrendous. It's horrendous.
Speaker 2: How Yeah, but how do you put a price on your children?
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing, Yeah, that's the thing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So what happened then was we had what they call it an initial hearing and going back in the story, what happened was my youngest son wasn't sure whether he wanted to stay. So I made the decision again one I regret to let him go back to his mother. So you can imagine how that went. When I'm supposed to be dropping two children back, I dropped one back. He jumps out of the carr and says, my brother's not coming back. This what's happened? I left there. This was up in Sydney. I went to my now wife's place, and shortly after I get a phone call from the cops that are looking for a child that's kidnapped, a child that I've kidnapped. I said, that's not the case, my son. I've been a little bit old. By this stage is a bit cloudy, but basically I was told that children can sort of vote with their feet by the time they're around fourteen. I think we're edging up towards that. And yeah, that just started what's now becoming a nightmare.
Speaker 1: And so, okay, so there's complaints. I'm assuming from Helen that the child's been kidnapped, and yeah, how does it feel been accused of kidnapping your kids?
Speaker 2: Terrible? Yeah, you know, I've been accused of a number of things, but genocide.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you been accused of genocide?
Speaker 2: The genocide? Yeah? Alienation, parental alienation, yeah, just.
Speaker 1: And these all the type of allegations that came against you from Helen and whoever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And what I'd like to point to Gary and I had police say it to me, is that in the nearly four years this has been going on, there has not been a nasty text message from me. Ye, any allegation I've made, I've been able to back up with facts and yeah, it's not it's not good, but I've developed a pretty thick skin through this.
Speaker 1: It's a smart way the plant Scott. I think a lot of people make this mistaken, especially blokes react with anger and frustration. Then it comes back to buy it. So if you can take a step back, keep the emotion out of it as hard as it is, yeah, it's beneficial.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can tell you I did a lot of soul surging through this. And I don't say this lightly, but I asked myself where how far I'm prepared to go? And I'm not somebody that makes threats. I don't believe. Don't do what you're not prepared to carry out. But in the case of what those people have put myself and my family through, I'm prepared to open the gates to hell and drag them in there with me, simple as that.
Speaker 1: I understand that from a father's point of view. Okay, your nightmare is starting to play out. Yeah, just break it down what you've gone through, because I know it's been a hell of a.
Speaker 2: So what happened was we returned home Somewhere shortly after that, the courts decided that the boys couldn't be separated. So what they did was put both the boys with me. At this stage, the youngest son had been turned against the eldest son, which is hard to watch.
Speaker 1: What what what sort of things in what way?
Speaker 2: So he was told his brother was a snitch, that he'd caused the family break up. I found out the change of heart to move to Sydney was that the boys were told that they mum was going to sell all of their stuff, you know, kids stuff, PlayStation Yeah yeah, And you know, like I said, the oldest one was worried that I wouldn't believe him. I was going to send him back. And his fear was, you know, if I tell Dad all of this has been going on, I'm going to mean a lot of trouble. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you've got the kids.
Speaker 2: So what happened was always in the Narra at the lawyer's office, and they said go and get your son. My son was in Sydney, his mother was in the next street, and three and a half hours away on a Friday afternoon in traffic. So yeah, I did what I did to get up there in time. When I get there, I noticed not only Helen there, but a couple of the chaps, one of the chaps we've mentioned before and another one. And I was informed by the school that they'd made several attempts to get in and get my son.
Speaker 1: So when just to clarify, the person that we mentioned before, was a person identifying as a sovereign citizen was in the car with Helen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and actually further than that was identifying as a law enforcement officer. You've soon in the.
Speaker 1: Payork and you've traveled from the South Coast up to up to Sydney to pick your younger child up. When you've got to the got to the school that the schools informed you that Helen and.
Speaker 2: Three other two other blokes.
Speaker 1: Two blokes have been there and trying to retrieve him.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, against according junction. So it was an injunction made that day preventing her from going to the school.
Speaker 1: How did the school handle it?
Speaker 2: So backtracking again, I wasn't down as a contact at the school, so when she put the kids into that school, they weren't aware.
Speaker 1: So you had no rights or powers you.
Speaker 2: Can have like first second and I believe a third contact. Yeah, I believe I was the third contact. But there was no phone number. So when my kids weren't attending school and they were going to list more and stuff, their attendance was somewhere around the fifty percent mark. I was unaware of that. They yeah, they weren't telling me that the school hadn't called me. I thought everything was going along rosie for them. You know, they seemed to enjoy living in Sydney, and yeah, then I find that out and I've you know, Principal's got my son in the school and told me to get up there and get him all on the way there. When I've seen these guys, I thought I better ring the cops. I don't want to have a punch on in front of my son out in the front of a primary school. It's not a good look. So I called the cops. They turned up. They met me in the side street and I said how is this going to work? And apparently I was informed by the school at once. Obviously once he gets to the edge of the school property, he's not the school's problem. And I just could see that going pair shaped. So I was in communication with this principle I'd never met, you know, who was taking a big risk in doing what he was doing. But he was, you know, he'd been in communication with the boys are given like independent children's lawyers, and they look after their journey through the courts and their interest. Yeah, so I don't know it was that person. Somebody had spoken to the school and they're aware that he wasn't to go home with mum. Initially, if she was told she could take some stuff and say goodbye. But because she espoused the sovereign citizen ideologies during the court, she was preventing by injunction and she doesn't do no Gary.
Speaker 1: So the sovereign citizen stuff started to come out. She was very much embttered in.
Speaker 2: That blue system ideology at that stage. Yeah, right in the thick of it.
Speaker 1: Now, the group that she was involved in, do you want to tell us a little bit to or as I understand that CO found that the group that referred to as NDA. Do you want to tell us a little bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so in Darker dalai Estralla so I think I'm pronouncing it right. Was a group that they formed whilst she was on the run, and they were basically offering a life to people outside of the life the rest of us live, you know, in the community we live, and they were recruiting at the time. I think up through NRANG somewhere up north there somewhat some of the footage I saw of that was the hell and I knew that, like, you know, if you had friends around or a dinner party or something, she would take over the dinner party. So I saw that part of her personality within it. The stuff she was talking about was completely new to me at that stage. I hadn't researched any of it, and I just found it difficult to watch. I had both of the boys in my custody, and what she did, I believe has formed this group to try and take the boys back and garner support.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to we're going to break down all the things that happened to you. And it's quite quite frightening what took place. But just the NDA group and this is. I did a bit of research on it too, just trying to get a sense of it. And this is how it's described. Positions itself as a movement reclaiming indigenous sovereignty and customary law governance over Australia, challenging the existing governmental authority and fostering the communal peaceful living based on the ancestral traditions and natural law. So that's a narrative in which they describe that in itself sounds relatively and there's an alignment to indigenous, the indigenous sovereignty and all that, But it's a lot more complicated than that.
Speaker 2: Isn't Yeah, it is, Yeah, And you know, I'm not happy with the fact that they aligned it with the indigenous. Yeah, you know, I don't know what words to use for that, Gary, but it's just she's not indigenous. Yeah, my children aren't indigenous. She claims they are. I've been told that you can be invited into a tribe through an elder. I don't know if that's happened or not. I just don't believe if you're not indigenous, don't claim you are. Well, it turns.
Speaker 1: By going down that path that claims a little bit of legitimacy, I would suggest by aligning to Indigenous issues and there would be people that are sympathetic to that type of thing. I've just further details, and again because we're going to be talking in depth about this organization, so I think it's worthwhile probably further detail about it. Organization that sovereignty based on Indigenous customary tribal law, declaring itself the lawful authority over the land unofficially known as Australia. It promotes the idea that purporting Australian government is illegitimate and has ordered it to stand down. So let's just the Australian government is illegitimate and has ordered it to stand down, urging people to recognize themselves as self governing under ancestral laws and unity with a demilitarized zone. The group operates the Superior Court of the People of Namdhaka Dahalis Australias, a court adhering to ancient law Speltre adjudicated by senior law elders, and seeks to establish peace, harmony and respect for natural and ancestral law among the land's original bloodline descendants and others who choose to join the communal sovereignty. Now there's a lot in that. The things that jump out at me, the things that, yeah, the Australian government is illegitimate, and the fact that they the group operates the Superior Court of the People. Yes, that's a concern, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I've even heard claims to be above the High Court of Australia. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you've got the two men and Helen out the school. You've called the cops. Yeah, you're in contact with the principal. And did you manage to get the hand over?
Speaker 3: Did you?
Speaker 2: The cops turned up and got called off on an urgent job. Yeah, so, no cops. It was now dark and just before I got my son, the cops and other lot of cops arrived. I'd made several phone calls and while they were talking to Helen and her mates, the principal slipped my son out a side gate. You've got to imagine he hasn't seen me for quite some time. Yeah, he doesn't even know why I'm there.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So I'm having to play as I've had to do a lot lot through this.
Speaker 1: And wouldn't under surprise and the call order or that surprise Dad's here.
Speaker 2: You're coming to my place for the weekend. Yeah, how did that.
Speaker 1: Go down between you and him?
Speaker 2: Well, if you're familiar with the Dukes a hazard, that's pretty much how I drove to get out of Sydney. Yeah, flat stick and then kind of made it like a bit of a game for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just did not want any confrontation in front of him. We get him down, and then the next day we have to go and get him a school uniform to start at school. So I left my oldest son in the house with my mother. We took him to the shops, which is we call it town. It's the nearest town and it was probably thirty five minute drive. We're at the shops and my youngest son rings and he's petrified. He said, mums here trying to get him in the house. I said, call Triple zero. He said, I've called them and they've told me don't open the door law until you get here. As you'll find through through this, there's what I believes two versions of the truth. There's the truth as I see it and I lived it, and there's what Helen Delaney says and her claims she wasn't trying to get into the house for me, for my son to go into. It's, like I said, a smart kid. He took his grandmother, who's pretty frail, and himself into the only room in the house. I had a locking door, locked the door and called Triple zero. I beat the police to the house that day, convinced him to open the door. Shortly after they turned up, Helen wasn't there, and then she returned while they were there, and I think that was the first time she was arrested. She was claiming she had court orders to have the kids.
Speaker 1: And these claims. Is that in keeping with that she doesn't recognize the law, our law of the land and she's got her own law with.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, the the orders that cost me just shy one hundred thousand dollars have put in place and a lot of stress. Yeah, they're void in her mind, they're void. Yeah, they don't exist.
Speaker 1: It's hard to argue or being in conflict with someone that's got that type of attitude. You know, like if someone once said to me, if you're arguing with an idiot, too, idiots are arguing. Yes, it certainly comes in the play. How do you this person's not going to abide by the court ruling because in their fanciful mind, the court doesn't apply to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it. And literally all I have then to protect my children is a piece of paper.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, okay, Well you're painting a pretty scary scenario when they're troubling scenario when you talk and what price do you put to look after your kids? But one hundred thousand dollars that's not one hundred thousand dollars you've got in your back pocket.
Speaker 2: I don't driver Ferrari, I can tell you that.
Speaker 1: And all the stress associated with worrying about your kids, seeing your kids, picking up their kids, and thinking they're not being looked after properly. But I suppose at this point in time, the systems working for you, the police, have supported your the orders are in place. But now you're dealing with a situation that, as you said, for all the money I've spent to get that order as a piece of paper that someone doesn't even acknowledge or recognize.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mate, And I believe at one stage she was contacting three to five different LAC's basically claiming I'd stolen kidding up my children. I think the word that was getting used, was child trafficked?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Now is this she's very much embedded in the Sovereign Citizen movement at this time. It was all this stuff that was coming from her. You've described how she's changed, But is this the ideology that she was now believing of believing.
Speaker 2: Or living living branding?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And like I said, that's a loose freedom fighters is another term that gets thrown around, you know, whatever name you put on it. If you've got people willing to help you kidnap somebody else's children, we're not playing around you. You know, we're at the serious end of the game.
Speaker 1: So in that incident, she's out the front, you've called the police, she got taken away, arrested, and then I'm assuming not charged at that point in time.
Speaker 2: No, And I think there was like an interim ABO put in place.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is the first of the AVOs that have come in the place. And what were the directions of the av were?
Speaker 2: I think just the basics. You can't come within five hundred meters of myself where I go to work, that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and tell us about the breaches.
Speaker 2: The breaches, so you know, very hard as a man when you talk about the domestic violence space, it is predominantly women and children that have spoken about and so it should be because that's where the worst of it is that I see. But there is men that go through this. The violence part doesn't have to be physical violence. It can just be unwanted attention. And we were getting quite a bit of that, text messages, phone calls, random people I didn't know, doing welfare checks on the boys, you know, I want to check their safe, this sort of thing.
Speaker 1: So, and these are random peo people I've never heard of, but people trying to make out that they've got a right to check this or making a full representation of who they are, that type of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, involving themselves in my children's lives, you know. But this was going on at the police station. It's one of their tactics. They just flood you with phone calls, flood you with emails.
Speaker 1: When you say it was going on at the police station, what do you.
Speaker 2: Mean asking for welfare checks?
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, they're contacting the police stations, say they've got concerns for the kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So my my senses were heightened already at this stage. But we'd watched the movie with the kids. Remember, and I'm playing two roles, he protector of my children and dad yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Trying to shield your kids from all the drama.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they want to watch movies together, do you know, very difficult to switch between both roles. To this day, it's very difficult. So we'd all watch the movie. We're asleep on the lounge. Yeah, got the fireplace. Everything's going well, you know, and next minute, bang on my door, like you would see with those raids that you see on tap drug dealers houses, bashing on the door. It's raining. Open the door. There's a full driver of the spotlight on the house, saying their police they want to come in. I was in a bit of a Day's opened the door. My poor mum, she's crying at the time. She was frightened. We said what's going on? They said where's the kids? And I was like, here and that to me, We've been told they're locked in a cage. I think was one of the remarks from the copper. And I was like, uh, you know, you know we've had calls from this person, which was the mother, and I said, well, there's court orders in place, they're meant to be they are safe. Don't quote me on the number, Gary, but I think we had nearly twenty seven of those twenty five to twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Well fare, okay, Yeah, it's just harassment, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and by ringing and.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying police harassment, they're going to follow up when there's a complaint.
Speaker 2: No, the police were good in the end. Like what happened was you got different shifts. Yeah, so you know, one job didn't you know, how busy they get. One job didn't get picked up. Then a different car crew pick up the job, they come to the house. So it was happening day and night. I sort of started with going in to speak to the local sergeant and then I sort of bumped it up, you know.
Speaker 1: And eventually the police, the local area police would start to understand that.
Speaker 2: The correct But where we had an issue was she was calling LAC's up in Sydney. So you've got I believe Inspector level up there saying we've had the phone call.
Speaker 1: We need that checked. Yeah, I can see how it could be manipulated. And just whining back for a sec too. You talked about it's difficult from a man's point of view when you're talking domestic violence, and that that doesn't have to be physical. It can be the manipulation and all that. I think it's healthy having the discussion and that, Yeah, the majority of domestic violence are where women are the victim, and the domestic violence is a broad term I'm using for conflict within a domestic relationship. But this type of manipulation and harassment, that's how I would describe what's going on. And if you're putting the figure in the twenties, whether it's twenty seven or twenty, it doesn't matter. If it's just a frequency of it that can be not just destroy your life, destroy the kid's life. It's just yeah, and not to mention the waste of resource public resources. There is an offense called public mischief where you report the crime and find out that's, yeah, it's not not true and not justified in your reporting it. I'd be sort of looking towards that.
Speaker 2: On one occasion, I had a detective called me. I had the kids at Escape Park and he's like, where are the kids? I said that with me. I tried to walk away from the car to have this conversation with him. Unfortunately, bluetooth kicked in and the kids heard that conversation. But you know, I started to just realize, I'm not going to get anywhere if I kick up a stink here. I've got to I've got to work my side of it. So what I did was, I was like, where's the nearest police station. I'll meet you there. I'll bring the kids there. And you know that that end up happening on that day again. They go through sort of these questions, you know, are you okay, yep? Who's that? That's dad? Do you want to be here with dad? Yes? You know, kids became like they didn't like the police very much. And you know that's why I say I won't say anything bad about the police, because I had an officer come in, could see the kids were distressed about it, grabs a footy from one of the boys footies and says you want to go in the yard for a kick? That legend still see him around town these days. Yeah, that one, That one act changed how the boys saw the police. Eventually we got to a stage where we were told that we've got to come and they said, what we need to do is just cite the boys, ask if they're okay, and that's it. So what happened then was we formulated that plan. I'd get a phone call from the police. We've had another call. Can you walk the boys out on the front Franda. They'd walk out and say, you know how you're going?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: All sweet little wave off off they went. We were you say the black about black humor? The kids want me to sell the car because every cop car in the area knows my car and they wave when they go past. And teenage boys are a little embarrassed.
Speaker 1: By that, but they want to be hanging out with the colt.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, no, And you know, but I think that's good policing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's community policing. And the fact is that it's good to know that the police are going to respond, even if they've got their doubts. If there's just that one percent that they're going to just check. So they check. How do you deal with this like it did? Was she breaching the AVA by this?
Speaker 2: No others were doing it? Yeah, And then the breaches of the AVO were appearing on so we we had to formulate safety plans. Right, So that was drive my youngest son to school. There were two separate schools, which made that difficult. Driving to school, hand him over in the office. Once that stuff member was on him, he basically had someone shadow him around the school for his entire school day. That was done very cleverly by what they call an SLSO. And so he's like, oh, you know this guy. I won't mention his name, but he's like, oh, this guy plays handball with me every day and he does his never out of somebody's sight at any That's.
Speaker 1: What had to be put in place because of this. So when we talk in the twenties of these inquiries or concerns for welfare of your children over what period of time was.
Speaker 2: This nearly the whole family court fifteen sixteen months?
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, yeah, what's the next step? What do you do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, I had safety plans put in place with the school, so they involved meetings. I then somewhere along the lines, I've gone from full time work back to part time. You know, I wouldn't have gotten to this point if it wasn't for the support of the family that I'm employed by. They let me go back to part time work and pretty much anything I've had to be at court appearances, school meetings, they just facilitated and I can't thank them enough for that. And I guess it got to a stage where, if you know, the school would take them on the outings to the park or bike riding or something. My son couldn't go to that unless I was there.
Speaker 1: And this is because of the concerns that they would be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I skipped over a bit. So what had happened was on one occasion, I'm talking like, you can imagine how tightly you hold your kids when this goes on. So even for my son to go out and play, and I say my son, because the youngest one was the biggest concern. His mum was going to grab him. You know, she'd sort of cut the eldest one off because he was the snitch in her words. So what happened was my son used to go and play with one friend down the end of the street. I was advised by police you might want to throw a tracker on him, and I was like, what do you mean. They said, you know, in case he's grabbed, that's difficulty, very difficulty.
Speaker 1: And for police to say that that must have some reason I rationale behind telling you to put the tracker on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you know, don't put it in a school bag, because that'll be the first thing gets thrown away. And my head's spinning. So we come up with a plan there, and I won't go into where or how he carries it, but he still does to this day when he's outside where we are. So we formulated a plan with his friend down the corner that he'd ride the bike down. As he turned around the corner, I couldn't see him. The other mother was on the phone and she says, yep, I can see him. They'd play together, and then when he was coming home she'd ring. I'd say, yes, I can see him. We're talking maybe one hundred and fifty two hundred meters. He's gone around that corner, and I believe the mum was watching them play outside. She's gone inside for a second to check the dinner or something like that. My son gets approached by somebody that it passes him a cryptic note and says, don't tell anybody, but mummy's coming to get you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Any idea who that was or.
Speaker 2: We managed to get CCTV footage, but police were never able to find that person. Male female, female, Yeah, and my son knew the face but couldn't say the name. He just said he'd seen that face in the camps, and the camps meant wherever they'd stayed during.
Speaker 1: That Mummy's coming to get you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he come home that afternoon, is very quiet. Yeah, so for an hour or so. He's a very deep thinking sort of child. So I just sort of gave him a bit of space and then I said to him, what's up. We need to have a chat, and he passed me the little note. He wouldn't talk. Gary was Froe.
Speaker 1: So when the cryptic note actual physically gave him a note.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so there was when I say CRYPTI there was no writing on it. There's a thing called a mood ring, and he was given the mood ring. And then his mum kept the little bit of cardboard that tells you what color is what mood and it was folded up in a wallet. This is what he's told me, And he said that he knew that was mum's. So that was the way of telling him, Okay, yeah, that's what I believe, and something over.
Speaker 1: He could relate to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, And you can imagine the confusion going on because he's already missing his mum and you can't when you're going through the court process. Don't discuss it with the children. They put you in a pretty difficult position because they see in all the moods and everything that goes on. Yeah, very difficult position, and.
Speaker 1: You can't discuss any of its, explain what's going on, Yeah, because you're contaminated. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And around this time, Gary, I guess I took on the role of investigator as well as, you know, his personal security guard. So I actually went. He was approached twice in he didn't he loves riding his bike, so he didn't not want to ride his bike anymore. So I just said to this mum, you know, we'll do the same thing. But I was floating around. It actually annoyed him. I was floating around in the car, so I was watching him from a distance. I wasn't going to have that happen a second time. So I'd driven up the street to do a U turn. The kids were playing out the front of the local service station. They had a little jump there. The guy in the service station, I knew as I've gone to turn the car around up the end of the street sort of, I was patrolling. He's approached again. But this time, the same woman, same car. This was when we were able to put it to because when I found out about the first occasion, I flew down there at a rate of knights. Nobody around. We live in an area where, you know, it's a small community, so.
Speaker 1: A strange car, I'll stick out.
Speaker 2: It'll stick out. Yeah, So I went to the local service station after he it said the lady come again. But she walked, I believe, up to approach him, and then passed him and went to go on the service station. And the attendant thought it was funny that she didn't go in, and then turned around and say, I think he sort of caught partial license plate over the vehicle. So I'd say maybe she got, you know, spooped a bit or something a couple of days. So obviously I'm calling the police with all of this, they said. I remember one police officer said to me, make these things contend to make you a little bit paranoid, And I'm like, for an approach to that quick, Gary. They're watching, right, So then Wet tightened security around him a lot more. We were driving to the school along the school run at the bottom of our street, just outside the range of the AVA is Helen walking up the street. This is on the school.
Speaker 1: Run, and then she'd have no businessman down there. It's not like she's and half hours away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, way smiling. You know, it's not a physical thing, but not meant to be there. You imagine the confusion.
Speaker 1: You've had these approaches by the unknown woman you've had, Helen. They're not breaching the AVA because he's just outside meither outside the five hundred mether radius. Where do you go to from there?
Speaker 2: So two things happened very quickly. So shortly after the police come to tell me that the vehicle was linked to that male that we mentioned before who lives ten hours away.
Speaker 1: Okay, and this male being the person that was very vocal in the car front passengers car of the video that we played when Helen was arrested and refused to acknowledge police power.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it. So that kicked me up another gear again. Yeah, okay, this is now working in company with others.
Speaker 1: And all these people are associated to the NDA, the Sovereign Citizen Movement.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So then the interesting thing was there the police are on the way to tell me they've they've linked that vehicle to this person and the car is laying in wait in another side street just up there over my house. So they approached it. It sped off, I believe, a short pursuit insured and they got away and I was sort of told, you know, we've got a number plate recognition. It won't get all the way back to where it comes from. I said, well, it god, all the way down here, didn't it. And when I meet up a gear, that's when I really started taking the protection of my son extremely serious.
Speaker 1: So your your concern, based on the stuff that had been happening to you in the situations you found yourself in, was that your son was going to be abducted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'll take you to Constant And you know, reoccurring nightmares that my son was having was and I had to go out and comfort him when he wakes up screaming, was that somebody was pulling a bag over his head and dragging him off his bike. Now that's come directly from that person. You know, they didn't grab him, They just approached him, approached him, but it frightened him. That's taken a lot of counseling to get him through that. You know, kids should be worried about getting lollies from the corner shop, hanging out with their mates, fun times.
Speaker 1: Totally carefree, no responsibility.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, these kids have been treated like they belong to movie stars. You know, they've They've got myself and others following them around and protecting them in their day to day activities right.
Speaker 1: Now, and they'd be aware of that. Part of the fun was getting away from the scrutiny of your parents and people watching what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even to play that. The kids love their footy, even play footy. I'm patrolling the car park. Other fathers are watching for faces we don't know. Yeah, you know, the community has been sensational in the they've given. My kids are nowhere in our community without eyes on them, you know, it's just how it has to be.
Speaker 1: So you've got the police have got this car that's been identified in the vicinity of where your son is, and that's linked to the group that Helen's involved with from ten ten hours.
Speaker 2: Away up the North coast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, living a normal life when you feel like you've been watched all the time and you've got people stalking and tracking the movements of your kids, how did that affect you personally?
Speaker 2: I'll have been. I did Victims of crime counseling, Yeah, was recommended to me. I during that was displaying all the signs of pdsdeh. I think that's a term that's thrown around pretty loosely these days. But you know, they did psycho tests some men stuff like that, and they just said, you're super hyper vigilant. So I was, it's enough and for me to be running eighteen nineteen hour days. There was stages there where I was I think, blacking out Gary I was, I was coming to you know, not remembering getting it, getting out of bed and lying behind the front fence, tooled up, ready to go.
Speaker 1: I kind of.
Speaker 2: Likened it to when I was when I was working on the door. I used to I'm a pretty passive guy. Used to get a kick out of talking blokes down, you know, not punching on with them. A kind of when I put on that uniform, I become a different person to who I was he my own life. So I went back to that. The unfortunate side of it is I didn't take the uniform off and I still haven't to this day. You know, I've become a different person. My wife has said that this has changed our lives forever, and that's exactly what it's done.
Speaker 1: Okay, look, we might we might take a break. Now. What you're going through is horrendous and you're describing it very well. Indeed, tell and the build up and the frustration and all the things that go into there. When we get back for part two, we're going to talk about you. You're getting served a warrant from the nda Supreme Court of the World or whatever.
Speaker 2: They that's another fact of the case that did happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the court matter, and I've got some extracts from the transcripts of things that Helen said in the court just to give the listeners a sense of what you're dealing with here. I think you coming out and speaking and I know before we spoke on the podcast, you want people to understand these are the things that can happen, and this is the impact it can have. Is that the basis of your talking here, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: That it's to tell other men out there. Yep, the domestic violence is real for you. Everybody's case is different. I understand that you've got to stand up. Yeah, you know, you've got to grow up here and stand up and say this is not okay, Well.
Speaker 1: I suppose flip it and what you've discribe. Now, if it was a woman in this situation, the man was doing.
Speaker 2: That, I'd already be sitting in silver Water.
Speaker 1: Well you said it, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Well that's the truth.
Speaker 1: I think we need to have that discussion. If you flipped it was a man stalking.
Speaker 2: Moon like that, and sometimes.
Speaker 1: And quite rightly, you should be sitting in silver War the prison if you're doing that.
Speaker 2: I agree totally.
Speaker 1: I think it's a healthy discussion to have about. Yeah, sometimes males are the victims in these situations.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I pointed out to you Gary in a letter I sent you that, and you know where I grew up. Real number one was don't fuck around with another person's family. Yeah, they chose the wrong men's family to fuck around with in this case. So I'm not going away. I'll do it publicly, I'll stand in front of them, I'll do I'll take it to whatever level they want to take it to. But they chose the wrong fucking family to mess with.
Speaker 1: And watch I like the messaging. Yeah, and that quite right. You can't be intimidated or harassed. And good on you for standing up to them. Let's have a break and come back. And I think when people listen to some of the some of the transcripts from the court matter, they'll get a sense of what you're dealing with and how difficult it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks to look forward to it.
Speaker 1: Okay, cheers,