Speaker 1: On the Sky News Center. This is Paul Murray Live. Well, Hey, hey, hey, and happy Thursday, almost the end of another really big week. James Borrow here sitting in for Paul Murray here on Paul Murray Live. Now, We've got another huge night of news for you to get through, all killer, no filler, including a Caroline Marx exclusive. She's here with me right now in the Maan Cave on a pro Palestinian activist who has been referred to the AFP. She's going to join me in a little bit with some exclusive details about why and just what is going on with this breaking story. But first, I've got a really special treat for you. I haven't seen this anywhere before. It's a sneak preview of a documentary called The Australian Sixty Years of News, which is premiering this coming Monday right here at EP, right here on this network. I've had a bit of a look at the documentary and what I've seen is absolutely fascinating because it includes, among other things, exclusive interviews with Rupert Murdoch, now emeritus Chairman of News Corps and Fox Corporation, in which he runs a ruler over the Australian prime ministers he's known over the decades. Have a look at this because there might be a surprise or two along the way here.
Speaker 2: He's witnessed Australian politics up close for more than seven decades.
Speaker 3: Which of our leaders has impressed you and why.
Speaker 4: You're going to get very high marked John Howard to make the biggest noise and some change Golf Whitlam it was a big turning point. I think you and Fraser who beat him, who was on a good disappointment. I've known him what he's lived.
Speaker 1: So high marks John Howard knows prize there perhaps, But an interesting point about Guff Whitler making a lot of noise for change, as well as the comments about Malcolm Fraser being a disappointment. But this bit about another Prime minister also named Malcolm, Malcolm Turnbull, I think is particularly interesting right now, especially given that Malcolm Turnbull is so much in the news again with his comments about Opposition leader Peter Dutton, calling him, among other things, a thug. Well, of course, this is not the first time Turnbull has lashed out at people he believes has wronged him. Remember this from Q and A a number of years back.
Speaker 3: The reality is News Corp and Murdoch have done enormous damage to Western democracy.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess he would say that, I suppose. But what does Rupert Murdoch have to say about that in respect?
Speaker 4: Probably Malcolm's nuts. He's paranoid. He didn't like it, the fact that we supported Tony Abbott versus him.
Speaker 1: That's all paranoid nuts. And you know that reminds me of the old line about Akham's razor, which is that the simplest and most likely explanation for something, as he just stated there is probably the correct one and I think that pretty much nails it. So tune in here Monday night APM for a lot more of that interview on The Australian sixty Years of News again here at eight pm, because when it comes to lashing out at enemies, we all know that Malcolm Turnbull has four and we've got to talk about Peter Dutton, who is only only his latest target, though Dutton has been a little classier than his ex boss. Here's what Dutton had to say to tgb's Ray Hadley earlier this morning about those thug comments.
Speaker 5: Me to be the Home Affairs Minister. He is very open in private with Mattias Corman and I and others that we were central to the success of the government. He never had a terse word or a derogatory word against me, So I just think people can see through it, and I wish him the best. I think it's sad, and I think for a former leader of our party, I want to do nothing more than to hold them up and praise them because they've led our party and they deserve that respect.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, look, I think that Peter doesn't handle that the right way, and I don't know that there's much more to say on the matter of that, But there are other things to deal with, including matters overseas, and of course that means our old friend Swampy Joe. But guess what, I'm not laughing about Swampy Joe anymore. Not because I don't think it's not nice to laugh at a guy who probably has Parkinson's, which circumstantial evidence is pointing to being exactly the condition Joe Biden has, but rather because I'm annoying. I'm upset because the whole mystery of Joe Biden's condition is now wrapped up in a giant conspiracy that has seen the media and the White House and big money Democrats and Hollywood celebrities all get together and say with their collective hive mind, Hey, we know this guy Joe Biden is disabled. We know he's not up to the job. That he is in and out when he's in a meeting, that he has to go to bed at eight pm, that he is led around by his wife, doctor Jill Biden, that he has to be given flashcards to walk into a room, and that he is basically, as I have said before, dribbling into his corn flakes. But they said, oh, no, no, no, no, we can't tell anybody, No, not even the press. We can't tell anybody was you know, we can't tell the voters. Gosh, they might get the wrong idea vote for Donald Trump. We can't have that. So, while I think that as a matter of national security, Joe Biden should exit stage left immediately. And yes, even if that means Kamala Harris of you think you just fell out of a coconut tree, fame becomes president. I am absolutely horrified that the same people who told us everything was fine are now saying everything is not fine simply because they got found out. Look, do you think George Clody would have written an op ed in The New York Times today saying, I love Joe Biden, but I think it's time for him to go. Would you have written that if Joe Biden hadn't completely fallen apart at that debate back in June. No, here's a reminder. George Clooney knew he held this fundraiser three weeks before that where Biden completely zoned out on stage and had to be led off the stage by the arm by Barack Obama. And the same thing goes for so many other people who have come forward in the past couple of weeks saying, oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no, no, Joe Biden, he's really bad. I've been seeing it for ages. He needs to drop out. Well, I'm sorry everybody's saying that now. What a bunch of absolute cowards. Why didn't you say something before? Remember when we talked about that clip of Joe Biden being led off by Obama? We were told by the White House somebody else's miss leading, it's fake news. It was disinformation, and the New York Times and everybody else said, gotting to see here. I mean, it's all the sort of thing that makes you wonder what else do they have that they've lied to us about? What else are they lying to us about?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: But it's not just George Clooney, other celebrities too. Here's Michael Douglas in April and then just this week.
Speaker 3: And the people that I've talked to and everybody that I have say he's as sharp as attack.
Speaker 6: George Clooney just came out with an op ed calling for Biden to step beside, saying the stakes are too high for future generations.
Speaker 3: What do you reject to respond to that?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's a valid point.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm deeply, deeply concerned.
Speaker 1: Well there you go. Nice for me to tell us now and check this out. The White House is now saying that Joe Biden had more stamina than George Clutey. I love this one. Here's why, because of apparently George Cloudy left that fundraiser before the president did. Watch this little clip of CNN's Jake Tapper hearing this line, and remember Tapper used to be one of Biden's staunchest defenders on hearing this news, But.
Speaker 3: What does that mean that George Clooney left for what's the point.
Speaker 8: The point of that is to suggest that Biden's stamina is better than Clooney's, and Clooney didn't have eyes on the entire event.
Speaker 9: That's the response to the Clooney out ed.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I mean yeah, great, love that, but sorry, all these people are hypocrites. They don't care about Joe Biden, they don't care about America. All they care about is power and their proximity to it, and the fact that in the service of power they were duped into going along with again a vast conspiracy of silence, which, now that the cover has been blown, makes them look like fools. Now, in a few hours time, Joe Biden is going to give what the White House is describing as a big boy press conference. Can you believe that a big boy press conference? And I mean this is literally what they are calling it. They have set the bar so low for Joe Biden that taking some unscripted or allegedly unscripted because we know what happens questions from reporters is now going to make or break his presidency. Have a look at Deputy White House Press Secretary John Kirby absolutely oozing with confidence about this event.
Speaker 8: It'll be more than four reporters for sure. But how long it's going to take it's going to depend on how many questions he gets asked, because as you know, every reporter likes to ask more than one question, and of course how long he takes to answer them. So I can't give you a time certain, but it'll be a substantial press conference again with multiple reporters and him by himself calling on them.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Biden campaign co chair Chris Coons is already managing expectations downward.
Speaker 10: I don't think we should set the stakes too high. I think we should be looking at how he's doing at the event today with the AFLCIO speaking to obviously a supportive group. They endorsed him, but unscripted, no tele prompters.
Speaker 1: I hope he does well.
Speaker 10: I expect he'll do well in the press conference tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Well maybe this is one of those sort of under promise and over deliver sort of things, but you know, somehow I doubt it. Let's watch and see what happens. And a reminder, I'll be breaking this all down tomorrow night, Friday and at an eight pm here on Sky on my own program, The US Report. Now let's get straight into all the other news of today with an excellent panel this Thursday evening joining me in the Sky studio in the man Cave, Sky News senior reporter Carolyn Marcus and former Victoria Liberal Party President Michael Kroger. Welcome to you both. Now, let's keep talking about Malcolm Turnbull. Why not, right, because it's always fun to talk about terrible We know that's what he loves us to be doing. Michael Kroger, how does the Liberal Party not simply take his membership off him and rip it up?
Speaker 3: So it's a very good question. And we wrestled with this problem years ago when Malcolm Fraser was causing problems and everyone remembers those and it was excited at the time. It would be more trouble than it's worth. It could create more bad publicy for the party than it was worth to have emotion, to have a meeting, to have the publicity, to have the press, to have the courage, the coverage, to have the aftermath. So it was just decided let Malcolm blow off steam Fraser if he wants to, and let's just not worry about it. And I think that's the attitude of the party to Malcolm Turnbull. He's seen only rarely these days, is thing. He just repeats the same lines over and over again. So I think he's so irrelevant to the Liberal Party that people just can't be bothered. And I think his credibility and attacking people like Peter Dutton as zero. I mean, you know, I was listening to his comments and I'm thinking, I think I've been in more than one hundred meetings I think with Peter Dutton over the last hundred years, the last twenty years. I don't think I've ever heard Peter Dutton raise his voice. I was trying to think if I ever heard Peter Dutton yell at anybody, threaten anybody, raise his voice. I don't think I ever have. I mean, you know, he's a very he is as he appears. He's a pretty placid, normal sort of person. And for the use of the word thug, I mean, please, Malcolm, you're just discrediting yourself. You're damaging yourself. You're not damaging Dutton at all, because people know Dutton. No, it's a lot of nonsense, and it's just built on Malcolm's anger at Peter for challenging him a few years back.
Speaker 1: Well, indeed, I mean Karen Peter Hurton was elevated in cabinet by Malcolm turblemoted by Peter don't handle this right away with the way that he was speaking about it on two GB and elsewhere, I think he.
Speaker 11: Has handled it beautifully and he you know, he basically said, look, he thinks it's sad that he's diminishing himself, Malcolm Turnbull, that is by stooping to the low that he has by going on a show like The Project.
Speaker 9: I mean, can you imagine the relevant It's very, very clear that he suffers from that at mentally.
Speaker 11: So I do understand the argument that Michael's making in terms of it's not worth the Liberal Party's time to expel him, because in a way that's kind of what he wants.
Speaker 9: He wants to be a martyr and say, look what they've done for me.
Speaker 11: They don't really stand for a difference of opinion. They can't handle the criticism. But I'm not on the other hand, and this is what I argued when I was hosting the Kenny Report on Monday, I said, you have to the standard you walk past is the standard you accept if you're going to accept someone like this within your own party. Sling being mud, not only calling Peter Dunnon a thug, which was quite remarkable in itself, not that it's the first time he said that, but basically saying he cannot think of anyone less suitable to be prime minister, that he essentially invoked this idea of xenophobia of racism by saying that all he does is throw mud at immigrants. If you have someone like that talk about the potential future prime minister, what else are you willing to accept in your party?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, no, Look I think that's right. Maybe there's just a rule that needs to be implemented here. I know, what do you guys think, Maybe just no more liberal leaders named Malcolm? What do you think? I don't know. Maybe this is just a problem here, but you know, it just seems to be a lot of coincidence with that. But anyway, look, I digress and I joke, So everybody out there named Malcolm, please don't write in. I thought it would be wonderful, wonderful potential prime ministers out there in the future. But Carolyn, I want to stick with you for a second here because you had a really important exclusive story today. I'm so glad lad here here on the program. Here to tell us about it yourself and your own words, tell us about what's going on.
Speaker 9: Thanks James.
Speaker 11: Well, this is a really disturbing story actually. But this pro Palestine activist in Melbourne, his name is Mohammed Sharab and he is a leading activist that he's seen as a figurehead of a lot of Muslim protests that happen in Muslim in Melbourne.
Speaker 9: Every week.
Speaker 11: He is out. He's been out on the steps of Parliament. On July fourth, on Independence date in the US, he was out the front of the US consulate and he called for some really disturbing things. We've got a clip of some exclusive footage we've obtained its Sky News here.
Speaker 1: It is believe in the armed resistance.
Speaker 6: I say, bring back the armed resistance. We've got to start the armed resistance, and we're gonna go back and celebrate the fair and dark colony, and so I lie, we will never lived their resistance.
Speaker 11: So essentially he's calling for armed resistance. Multiple times, he calls for death to America, death to Israel and other Western allies. He refers to Australia as a colony, talks about the colony being brought down and refers to tunnels, which we understand to most likely mean her Mars style tunnels to be built here on Australian soil. This has now been referred by the Victorian Opposition as a Liberal party in Victoria, to the AFP and Victorian Police Commissioner to investigate. I've put in inquiries with both of those. I simply got a response from the AFP today say they're not going to comment. He is already on bail James for an unrelated incident involving assault and kidnapping in which he is alleged to have used a hammer to attack a man. This is alongside another very well known activist in Melbourne called Laura Alarm. They're both facing these charges that next to you in court tomorrow. So while he's on bail, he's out there calling for death to America and it's allies and armed resistance and has.
Speaker 1: Just got it. That's a disturbing story. And you know, I think it's so fascinating too that you hear in so many of these Gaza and Palestine protests that rhetoric of the left and the anti colonial rhetoric, and it's this great sort of fusion of the left and Islam, and we've seen this before in other places around the world. It doesn't end well. But let's move on here and talk a bit about federal politics here. My paper of the Daily Telegraph is reporting that senior Labor figures, some of them aren't actually all that worried about this group Muslim vote that's come up, and they don't necessarily see themselves losing seats in Western Sydney there. I think this is really interesting, Michael Kroger. I'm wondering what you think here. Should they be a bit more worried than they're letting on, given the way that the Labor Party has been pulled apart by this issue, and given you know, so many of their front benchers are sitting in seats in Western Sydney Jason Clair Tony Burke. People like that.
Speaker 3: It depends on when the campaign is and it depends on one other major thing. If the leaders of the Muslim votes run a campaign based on Islamic Muslim victimhood, you are all victims. You're all oppressed, you're all downtrodden. Everyone else hates Muslims. You know you're being victimized. We're a minority. We've got to stand up for ourselves. If they whip up that fervor and convince Muslim Australians, the majority of whom I'm sure I have no doubt, decent, peace loving people who've come to this country or born in this country because they like Australian values. But if they whip up this fear and victimhood campaign, then Labor might be in trouble in a couple of seats. If, however, the more moderate Islamic leaders like Jamal Riefi and others are able to suppress these extremists, then I think Labor have got less to worry about. So I think at this stage it defends very much what the campaign looks like. If it's about Palestinian victimhood and et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, then they'll do, you know, well, as they did in Britain, and that was the basis of the campaign in Britain by Jeremy Corbyn and the Islamic activists, that it's all about Muslim Palaestine victimhood. So I think it's I think it's unknown at this stage. It depends very much how the campaign runs, James, and how it unfolds.
Speaker 11: I don't think they even need to worry about how the campaign runs. I mean, a Prime Minister, Anthony Aberanizi has just announced that he's appointing an Islamophobia Special Envoy to combat Islamophobia. So the Labor Party is doing it and the government's doing it for themselves. They're creating this idea that we have a problem with Islamophobia already in this country. They fail to act on Fatima payment for so long after she crossed the floor, she got special treatment.
Speaker 9: Let's not pretend because she was a.
Speaker 11: Young Muslim senator that they were concerned how it would be viewed by the public.
Speaker 9: So they're clearly worried about a Muslim vote.
Speaker 1: Well, they're clearly worried. But I mean, you know, I don't think it's just about this particular issue, because I think that when you start I love your thoughts of this, Caroline, when you have a society that has so many different groups in it, if you start down this road of you know, identitarian political factions. You know, I was starting to dialute the Fouler MP the other day and she was saying that, you know, independent MPs need to represent their local communities, not talk about an issue on the other side of the world. But if we start identifying ourselves politically by our race or our religion, this is dangerous territory, isn't it.
Speaker 11: I absolutely agree, and I think the Prime Minister has acknowledged that as well. And even Fatima Payment today herself came out and said, I don't think there should be a Muslim party, and that would be my advice because we have to think more broadly of Australians and it's when I'm not just a one issue politician, which I actually respect coming from her. She she kind of gets it.
Speaker 9: She could have.
Speaker 11: Look, maybe she'll change it by next week, who knows. But I do think there's a problem with that, and there's especially a problem when a lot of it, a lot of the ideology is problematic, and and I'm talking about obviously the more extremeists, sure part of it. And what we're seeing for the support in the Middle East is sometimes crosses a line into support for terrorist organization of course, So if that's the basis of a political party, I think that's a real risk for Australian national security.
Speaker 1: Absolutely it is, but I think it's also for national cohesion as well. And you know, this idea of us living together and getting along and all being Australians first before being whatever it is identity that we brought over with us. Speaking of coming from other places, let's go over to America. I was talking before about George Clooney being the latest high profile figure calling for Joe Biden to step down with that our ed saying that it's time for him to go, and that at the Joe that he saw at the fundraiser was not the big effing deal Biden of twenty ten. He wrote. Clute even said he wasn't even the Joe Biden of twenty twenty. He was the same man we all witnessed at the debate. Well, Mansage, Pelosi has now also been on TV Today, and you tell me where she's followed to this debate.
Speaker 6: Does he have your support to be the head of the democraticket.
Speaker 7: As long as the president had the president, it's up to the President to sucide if he is going to run. We're all encouraging him to make that decision because time is running short.
Speaker 1: Caroline, She's saying that it's time for him to make a decision. That's we're getting into real sort of the coach has the full support of the board territory, aren't we absolutely.
Speaker 11: I mean, he said he's made a decision. They just wanted him to make a different decision. That's what's clear here. I mean, this is pretty bad, isn't it that when all the Hollywood elites that got behind him and posed for the selfies and took the Instagram posts and did fundraises to raise tens of millions of dollars, when they're turning on you, you know, it's got to be pretty bad. But as you pointed out in your editorial as well, George Clooney knew weeks ago when he held this fundraisers, and everyone else who.
Speaker 1: Was there the White House, everybody, the New York.
Speaker 11: Times and anyone blind Freddy knew for the past few years. We could all see him falling up the stairs and unable to form a coherent sentence. So the idea that it's only dawning on people now or in the last few weeks, or when they watch the debate, that there's something wrong. These people are lying to the public and or they're lying to themselves.
Speaker 1: But I mean, Michael, this is the crazy thing. If somebody out there, you know, in America or here had only been getting their news from the New York Times and the Cydney Morning Herald and the ABC and all of these other sorts of outlets that have all been in on it and saying, no, no, he's finding it's just a big right wing conspiracy. You'd have people out there who are now just coming to the party and saying, oh, really he's not okay, Well, well well whow was this?
Speaker 3: But Jimes, that's exactly what's happened in America. It's only since that I bite the people in America unless I've been watching Sean Hannady and Alason Fox News. Now they've last write a week, they've realized, hey, there's something wrong with the president because they've been told by that crazy Jean Pierre and everyone else that I know as sharp as attack. He's absolutely sharp as attack. Well, look, the bottom line is this, as I said last Thursday, put your gloves down. This guy's not running right. He is going to withdraw. He is going to withdraw. He will not be the Democratic Party candidate. I said last week, I think there's a ninety five percent chance of him withdrawing. But if you remember that great movie Zero tark thirty when Maya, the redheaded CIA agent, she's in the meeting with the secret of State and he says to her, what chance is that Bin Lauden is in that house in is Lammitt been a badabad? And she says one hundred percent. Okay, it's ninety five percent, because I know certainly freaks you out. Well, it's one hundred percent. Chiseled down to ninety five percent. That Biden is not running. He's finished, and everybody now knows this guy. He's obviously a nice guy, but he can't let go. But they're going to force him to let go, and he's not going to be the candidate. So Kamala Harris will be the candidate, lesson it's Michelle Obama, which I don't think it will be. Harris will be the candidate. You cannot, James, you cannot go for another four months of this with Biden. Every press conference, every speech, every word, every interview will be dissecting the guy's mental state. No one will discuss policy. It'll be like the next four months. I'll be like the last week. He's finished.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean, I think there's a real case be made that he could wind up staying because he's got the delegates, he's got the money, he's got all of these Democrat voters who are going to vote for anybody. They'd vote for my cocker spaniel rather than Donald Trump. But they both have orange harrel tell you that. But so I don't know. There is a chance there that that he does stay and brazen it out.
Speaker 3: But there is zero chance, all right, Williams, There zero chance he's not staying. Will He's going.
Speaker 1: Jill Biden.
Speaker 3: Jill Biden's the problem. She's the problem.
Speaker 1: She's the problem. And Hunter. Hunter needs the part, and Hunter needs a part. And that's the other thing. But let's let's move on here to another important story here today, which is in the Australia. This hit me for six years saying that despite Labor saying that gas is all they say, oh, it's so important for our energy future, Labor's proposed system for investient and energy is going to reject gas. Say it's a no go. There was a lot of shilly shouting from the Prime Minister about this later when he was called on it. But this just shows the real pain that we're going to go through for Labour's energy plan because I mean, there's so much gas under the ground in your state of Victoria that they're not even getting out. And if you're going to have renewables and no gas to firm it, well that's trouble, isn't it.
Speaker 3: M M look of course, cause you'd be using all the guests we've got in Victoria now. But what we're saying is this is a real This government is really confused. I mean you can say people saying, Chris Bowen and Alban easy, we're not going to hit our target at twenty thirty, twenty fifties, unlikely. We're going to have blackouts. The evy market's not working. You can't close down all the coal fired power stations we need gas. Renewable investments are not working. People are losing money investing all sorts of renewable technology. Companies are collapsing when they've invested in renewables. There's no revenue stream. I mean, Chris Bowen's head must be spinning. He's almost you almost get to think that Bowen would like to be relieved of this portfolio if there's a reshuffle. He's made such a schamuzzle of it, like Grandma's Christmas cake is everything in there is everything in there. I think he looks bruised and battered. The energy policy is a mess. He just keeps repeating the same lines and a emo at odds with him. Now, this is a mess. And as I said, he looks to me like a guy who's probably saying to Alban easy, get me out of here. Another portfolio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it did, Caroline. I got another letter from my energy company today saying that my energy bill, my electricity bill, my gas bills, well, you know, to serve to be better, or whatever sort of corporate nonsense language that they use of those sorts of things, is going to be. There are going to be some adjustments to the to the amounts that I paid for, not adjustment down, but not adjustments down. Oh god, the politics of this must be absolutely horrible. What's your sense of out there in the community. How much is the energy crisis going to wind up affecting people's votes the next election?
Speaker 11: Well, if the energy bills continue to go on, which they will, of course, it's going to affect people's votes because cost of living is the issue at the moment. It is the main issue. Whatever else we talk about on these shows. That's what people are mainly concerned with at home, and that it's how they're going to base their votes. I mean, obviously, we're getting this little boost to the government has artificially given us this three hundred dollars rebate on an energy bill which is going to happen over the next few quarters. But we haven't seen the two hundred and seventy five dollar in our bills that we were promised. So that's a big cross. And you know, all these people seeing their own adjustments on their energy bills at home, they're not going to be too pleased about that either.
Speaker 1: Well, no, exactly. And then it gets to this sort of funny position that we're in the economy. Caroline, stick with you on this one here too, because the Productition Productivity Commission has come out and said that two thirds of Gen extras and millennials are earning more than their parents did at their age. Now, Caroline, this does seem to fly in the face of some of the feeling that's out there. Or is it just that things are so much more expensive than everything that you know, those numbers, even adjusted for inflation of the years, don't matter.
Speaker 11: It doesn't matter because how many people who are millennials these days can afford their own home, especially in the capitalis in Australia, Like they would be thinking, we're not better off than our parents' generation at all.
Speaker 9: They could afford to live by.
Speaker 11: Their own home much younger, you know, in their twenties or early thirties.
Speaker 9: That's a pipe dream for many people. It may never happen.
Speaker 11: You're seeing couples now back in our parents' day, in the previous generations, where the mother, if they wanted to, they could stay home, have to work.
Speaker 9: Now you have to have a dual income in order to survive in many of these cities, so you don't have that choice.
Speaker 11: So while we might be earning more, and I wonder how much of it is because that was only single income households in a lot of cases, how much that affects the figures.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true, But Michael, I've want to ask you just a quick answer before we go to our winners and losers here, what do you think that Austria we call it the lad of the fair girl, but is it still.
Speaker 3: Well? Young people are losing out. I mean real disposal per capita household income is down over seven percent in the last two years. That's what feeling poorer. Inflation is killing our economy. It's killing wages, it's killing the cost of living obviously. So no, you know, young people are missing out because high interest rates are killing us. And this is all a product of many things, one of which is massive increases in government spending all around the country. Unless government's cut their spending, ultimately, you're never going to see inflation. You're not going to see inflation returning to the Reserve Bank band of two to three percent for a year or more. Mate. So yeah, yeah, is it the same as it was early many years ago. No, it's not.
Speaker 1: No, and I think it's it's It is definitely not, which is a real shame. But let me just go let you before you guys go winn is the loser of the week Caroline.
Speaker 9: Oh well, I think you can't go past.
Speaker 11: The biggest losers in the world have got to be those Hollywood elites that through everything they had behind.
Speaker 9: What is the other biggest loser in the world.
Speaker 11: And I hate to say it because he is a really so outside at the moment, but Joe Biden Winter, I guess Trump would be the winner out of that.
Speaker 1: Fair enough By Kroger. Winner's the losers of the week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, closer thing to Caroline A winner with Kamala Harris, who's just sitting there thinking I can't be my good luck. The lows of the week is the six handicapper who won't be who won't be accepting any golf games even with a twenty shot start, because he wouldn't break one hundred and fifty. I saw he swing the other week on YouTube. He wouldn't break one hundred and fifty. So no, he's a loser of the week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I'm afraid I think you're Rightough. I think it was fascinating that he bragged about his handicap going down when he was vice president, which shows just a little work he was doing back then anyway, how much work he was doing. Yeah, correct, out of the golf course. We're going to swing anyway, Michael Kroger, Carolin Marcus, thank you so much for joining me here in the van cave. Michael, thanks joining me tonight. Don't go anywhere. Next up, I got a great story for you. Yarra City Council. Oh yeah, Melbourne climate scaremongers now have a new woke diet. They want Victorians to get stuck into. Oh yummy, yummy, yummy. Let's see if my panelists will be keen to try it and eat the bugs. I doubt it. Welcome back to the program, James Borrow here filling in for Paul on Pal Murray Live. Let's get stuck back into the discussion. Joining me now in the man cave is Gemma Toognini from GT Communications and you love her columns in The Australian as well as Victorian Libertarian Party MP David Limbrick. Welcome so much to both of you. Now let's start with our favorite debate, that of course being the nuclear debate. In an exclusive report from austrayon Labor, MPs have been apparently told to shut up and stop talking about nuclear energy, stop spreading those stupid three eyed fish beams, and now only Anthony Albanizi, Chris Bowen and Jim Chalmers have the green light to talk about atomic energy. This stems from concerned within the party about some of those memes I just mentioned as they might actually be. Who knew counterproductive? Now, Gemma, I want to throw this one to you because you're a communications expert. Some have said that, Some have said this you have a communications business, and I mean seriously, these memes are the way that the Labor Party has been approaching this debate in this really you know, juvenile and immature way. If they were your clients, what would you be telling them to do?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's not just it's always the thing behind the thing, right, So of course, on surface value, it's stupid, it's juvenile, you can say all of those things. But the more damaging part of the way that the Labor Party in most of the federal MPs responded was the fact that it belittles a serious issue. So nuclear is a discussion we have to have. Everybody knows that we are the only country in the G twenty who's not at least bringing nuclear into the mix at some point. So apparently the rest of the world doesn't know what it's doing, but we do. Meanwhile, the cost of living is going up, the price of energy is going up. So the response of the government wasn't It wasn't just the surfaced, cosmetic level juvenile nature of it. It was the dismissiveness of a very serious issue that is hurting Australians.
Speaker 9: Very very hard.
Speaker 2: Businesses are suffering cost It's not just cost of living for you and I. It's the cost of doing business. It's a small cafe, family and cafe in the area that I live. And they're real, they're real bill bills and real dollars have gone up by something like seventy thousand dollars a year. And how do you pass that on to your customers? That's a lot of right, It is a lot of ladas.
Speaker 9: So the government.
Speaker 2: It shows lots of things. That shows arrogance, It shows this disconnect, It shows an absolute disinterest in saying, you know, we need to have an energy mix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and David, what do you make of all of this, Because it seems to me that Labor, that there are a few divisions within labor, and that there are some ALP members who just quietly would be very happy to see nuclear go forward if it took some of the pressure off of this energy debacle that they're running headlong into.
Speaker 6: Well, we know that some of the unions support used to support nuclear, they've changed their mind now. But I think what this proves is, you know that the left car't meme. We've known this for a long time. Choosing to fight a battle on memes was a failure from the start, and now they've told all the embarrassed labor MPs to you know, shut up and not do memes anymore and hand over the debate to the Prime Minister who can't even pronounce the word nuclear. So I think that they're running headlong into failure on this.
Speaker 1: Yes, well that's right. It's not nuculler, as Chris Bowl keeps saying. But anyway, I had another great story out of Melbourne. Here the Yarra City councilor Victor Koria is calling on its residents to act on the climate emergency, that's their words, by adopting a vegetarian diet. I'm glad I don't live in Yarra City Council, by the way, because I'll be telling them what I think, as well as even shifting their banking and superannuation away from companies that deal with fossil fuel investments. This is all part of the council. This is a local council, by the way. They've got an eighty one page climate emergency plan for twenty twenty four to twenty thirty which was passed unanimously at Tuesday nights council meeting. Jemma. You know, the American writer hl Macan had a great line that democracy is the theory of government that the people get what they want and they get it good and hard. I feel like the Yarra council electors here who have voted in this council that unanimously approved this nonsense. Well, I think they should be forced to eat you know, only a vengeance Harry and diet and take their money out of profitable investments.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Well, I think they need to hand over the keys to the car. I would guarantee that maybe half of them drive an EV but even so, EV's are made with fossil fuels. So they need to hand over the keys or the passcard to their tesla.
Speaker 9: I know what that looks like.
Speaker 2: They need to hand over their mobile phones, and they need to go live in the bush, and they need to live a subsistence existence. You know, this is the ultimate let them meat, Kate Cohort. These are the people who, you know, I think it's some sort of sickness to be honest, like, if that's what they genuinely think is good policy, if that's what they genuinely think is contributing to a more functional local government area, because that's what we're talking about. Then there's something fundamentally wrong with these people as a cohort.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean, damd, I have to ask this to you, and I really hate to ask this question because Victoria is a lovely state. They've got some beautiful wine regions, all sorts of lovely stuff there. But what on earth is going on down there?
Speaker 6: Well, Yarra Council has been sort of taken over by the Greens and socialists and everyone else. But this idea of decolonizing the city of Yarra, let's not just throw it away. I think the idea of decolonization in the city of Yarra is actually something that we should embrace. The very first thing that they should do is hand over the council to the traditional owner corporations that they mentioned so many times. And I don't know what they'll be like running the council, but it can't get any worse. And the councilors should lead by example and decolonize the city of Yarra and leave and not let the doors smack their ass on the way out.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, and you know, and look, I will be fair to you, David that it is not just obviously withdrawing councils. You know here in New South Wales we also have people who want to do ridiculous things here. And last night we brought you the story and Tivlair has written a fantastic piece in today's Daily Telegraph. Check it out about this tokenistic proposed name change for the Cooks River, which runs through portion of city very close to where I live. By the way, the proposed name change being pushed from the Cooks River Alliance would mean that the Cooks River, and you know it's named after that real batty Captain Cook, would now be known as Guliyari. Jemma, do you see this proposal getting over the line? And again, what's with these councils? Why can't they just pick up the trash?
Speaker 2: Oh look, I have no idea whether it'll get over the line. I do think it's symptomatic of a greater malays though, this idea of self loathing and being able to you know, unable to look with the sober mind at the past and go things happened that we would never tolerate today, because that's just.
Speaker 9: The history of history, if you like.
Speaker 2: But it doesn't mean you erase it, and it doesn't mean that changing a name will change anything.
Speaker 9: That happened in the past. And who are these people.
Speaker 2: Actually trying to, you know, a peace or get approval from It doesn't make any sense to me at all if you think, if you think about the LGA that I live in, and I'm learning a little bit about this two and a half years in Sydney, and it's slightly different, but you know, there's so many For example, I know that there's a DV shelter, a domestic violent shelter that lives that operates in the LGA that I live in, and the council is not bending over itself to do anything to help this organization, right, They're too busy telling us things like that. So but I guess it comes back to that place of we get what we tolerate. Most of us have got too much on our plate to bother with local government. And that's the problem because the people who literally want to go into local government for this sort of stuff other people who shouldn't be elected.
Speaker 1: I think that's very well said. Now, don't go anywhere. We're going to go to a quick break. We'll be back with David Limbrick and jematog Nini with a lot more here on Palmary Live After the break, Don't Go Anywhere. Welcome back to Poulbarray Live. James Borrow here sitting in for the great Man. Great to have your company, and now let's talk here about a topic with our panelist David Limbrick here. I know, David, you're very passionate about that. That is, there's been another alleged targeted attack on a tobacco store in Springfield, Victoria, in the early hours of this morning. David, you've called out the Incommon Health bureaucraft's advising government on these matters. What's signatually in health these tobacco stores, why they seem to keep going up in flames allegedly, and shed's more light on just what's going on here in Victoria.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well it's not just Victoria, but Victoria is sort of leading the way again here, which is rather unfortunate. But what's happened is we've got federal massive excise taxes on tobacco and we've also banned vaping in Victoria and federally, and that what's happened there is it's created an incentive for organized crime to get involved in black market tobacco and vaping, and has gotten to the point now where they control the market. As anyone understands with black markets, when they first start, they grow and grow and grow until they reach a saturation point, at which point you will get competitors that fight over territory and fire bomb each other, which is what's happening in the state. The clear solution here is for the federal government to cut excise tax to a reasonable rate that doesn't incentifize organized crime, and legalize vaping for adults that will undermine it. As we've seen through enforcement efforts. Enforcement will not work. The federal and the state governments have handed over the state to organize crime and this has to stop.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you're right there. I think you're right about that excise tax, and I know Paul will be very happy for me to say that that excise tax definitely needs to be cut on cigars too. So Peter, there's a platform plank for the next election, whenever that is. But let's touch on the story which truly shows. We've talked about the cost of living tonight and every night, the cost of doing crisis hitting Australia A furious patron at a local New South Wales Mid North Coast cafe has called out what they called a disgusting portion she received for a ten dollars serving of hot chips. Now, Jemma, talk to me about this current crisis of cost living that everybody Australians can't enjoy a solid serving of chips. But on the other hand too, as you say, as you said before the break, you know these cafes they've got a huge outgoings. Now they've got to pay. So that's the problem.
Speaker 2: It's wages, it's it's the you know, they're making it difficult for particularly hospitality to continue to employ casuals because unions are the tail that wags the dog of this government.
Speaker 9: And the cost if.
Speaker 2: You're if you're out, I mean, it's is this is like the most potent reminder that the people setting economic policy in this government have now worked in the real economy. And I'm not saying that to be political or disruptive.
Speaker 9: That is just a fact.
Speaker 2: So never run a business, never worked in a business outside of academy. I'm talking about mister Chalmer's academia or politics or the union movement.
Speaker 9: So that is just factual.
Speaker 2: There's no idea about running a P and L, no idea about balancing a budget, no idea about outgoings versus incomings, the difference between profit and revenue, for example. So if you're in small business, whether it's a cafe or otherwise, and your costs are incrementally and consistently going up and you cannot do this is what you're going to get. And I mean, like the cost of I went and did some grocery shopping on the way up here tonight. My life is exciting. People had I had one bag? One bag, like not even a full bag was one hundred dollars. It's one hundred bucks and I'm looking at doing I'm sorry, but what is there like magic groceries in there? But there weren't magic groceries. It was just normal, very boring groceries and it wasn't even full. And that's the reality that you extrapolate twenty five twenty six million times over in this country. And the Prime Minister wonders why they're you know, there's rumors at the station.
Speaker 1: Well, David, I mean you, as a libertarian, what do you say to these costs? And what can the goverd do, like what will the be the top three quick things you could do if you could come in to play Javier Malay with the Australian economy so that you know you can get a decent pile of chips that would have cost you ten bucks.
Speaker 6: Well, you'll never get a seagull as greedy as the government and as anyone that knows. Anyone that knows that studied Milton Friedman will know that inflation which is the root cause of all this. And I share Gem's view that it's a bit rough to be pointing the finger at fish and chip shops. But inflation is caused by printing money, borrowing money, and spending money. So if you want three things to stop inflation governments stopped doing. Let's stop doing those three things, or at least cut back on it, and that will affect inflation. That will stop inflation. That's the thoughts of inflation. Is the government borrowing, printing and.
Speaker 1: Enough David, now, David, before I let both of you go, very quick answers from both of you. Winners and losers of the week, GEMMATAGNEDI, Oh.
Speaker 2: Winners of the week, Oh, good lord, good lord? What's winner of the week?
Speaker 3: Winner?
Speaker 9: Of the week. I have no winners of the week.
Speaker 2: Help me out.
Speaker 1: I'm a loser.
Speaker 9: Loser of the week, I have to say, mister.
Speaker 1: Turnbull, welcome turble. Okay, probably sad. I think I think you're right, David Limbrick. Winners and losers very quickly.
Speaker 6: Wine of the week organized crime as usual in Victoria. Losers of the week is all of the labor and pace that shared the crappy Simpsons memes.
Speaker 1: And you've got to win very quickly.
Speaker 2: The winn of the week Chrismins for stopping retail trade on Anzac Day.
Speaker 1: Oh very good, Christmins, Christmins, all right, thank you so much. GEMMATAGNEDI, David Librick, that's all the time I've got tonight. I'll be back Sunday night. For now, stay tuned for the late debate coming at you now.