Speaker 1: My really, it is so time for it.
Speaker 2: Let's go girl HyG y TG yeah, the girls.
Speaker 3: Not s Yeah, the sweety what a wee.
Speaker 1: Sp okay.
Speaker 4: So the uninitiated, if you're joining us for the first time in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Four, welcome, Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: This is where we talk about all the things that the girls talk about that we probably shouldn't talk about on air, but we do. We talk about it off air in the office, and then Andrew joins in and we're like, oh, make get.
Speaker 5: Out, tic chut.
Speaker 2: I'm usually not listening though, like I'm there, but I'm not there. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm present what you mean?
Speaker 2: And when both eyes are looking in different directions and there's dribble coming out of my mouth, Yeah, that's where I'm going to land, far far away of what you guys are talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, Producers, Zoe joins us produces Oe in Your twenty in a beautiful relationship with the gorgeous Alex who we're all yeah, abs from the newsroom, happily single.
Speaker 1: Who knows well this week? This week changes from week to week. Yeah, are we seeing anyone?
Speaker 3: I don't have anything to say. I will not be answering questions at this time.
Speaker 4: I feel like I'm outside of court for Channel ten right now?
Speaker 1: What you got to her?
Speaker 4: Okay, this week's chick Chat. Hi, Jody, Abby and Zoe. My best friend and her fiance. This is an email, by the way.
Speaker 1: Obviously snail mail. They wrote in, Yeah.
Speaker 4: My best friend and her fiance have just called the off their engagement after six months. They got engaged on a whim and the reality of it all was sunk in. They were together for a year. He got her a super and ice ring. We reckon it costume around seven K. Now they've split. Does she have a right to keep it or does she have to give it back? We think she should keep it. It was a gift after all, but she feels bad. We don't want her to give it back as an excuse to get back in contact with him.
Speaker 1: What does she do? That's from Sally from Plympton.
Speaker 4: Well wa okay, wow, So my first thought on this is, I guess an engagement ring is a promise, Like it's a gift. As a promise, we're going to get married, we're going to be together. So if that promise is broken, then I think maybe perhaps give it back.
Speaker 2: It depends who breaks the promise too, doesn't it true? So if the partner who gave the ring it was the other person who did it, then you've probably to give it back, especially if you've called it off late. You've received the ring and it's on you for calling it off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you should give it back.
Speaker 4: But I also feel like you're missing the very definition of chick chat.
Speaker 1: It just chicks chatting anyway, ladies.
Speaker 5: So very interesting one. I think at its nature it is a gift, right, So if you make that decision to put your heart on the line and propose and give the person a ring, you've given them the ring. I think she's completely entitled to keep it, even though that might be a moral stretch, but I think she has every right to keep it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, I've got a story for you.
Speaker 3: So a friend of mine she proposed to another woman and it was all fine, blah blah blah. Anyway, they broke up, so she got given the ring back. This woman said, I don't want a reminder of you, So here's the ring back.
Speaker 1: I don't want it, noble.
Speaker 3: She then has gone on and met another partner. Cool, they're together.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 3: But they've got two best friends who they as well. Were you know. She's like, oh, I can't find a ring that I like to give to so and so blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so my.
Speaker 3: Friend sold because she just wants to get rid of this ring. She sold that engagement ring to her their best friends, who then went on on used.
Speaker 1: To propose they all know each other each other, so she just wanted to get rid of her I reckon.
Speaker 3: She spent six or seven thousand in the end, she sold it to her friend for like fifteen. She's like, I just don't want the ring here anymore. I mean a new relationship with had a baby, like I just needs to move on.
Speaker 4: So there's definitely something in that. Can jewelry be cursed?
Speaker 1: No? No, okay.
Speaker 4: So for example, I've still got my wedding ring from my first marriage and it's in a jewelry box and I'm thinking of regifting it to my daughter because that's her dad. So I thought that would be a nice thing to do. But is that a nice I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, because it did not work out.
Speaker 5: Answered you kept the ring?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, did you keep the engaging him as well?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All of it Hey, they're all diamonds, mate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my mum kept her engagement ring from her first marriage and for my birthday gifted it to me.
Speaker 1: That would Did you like it?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: I love it?
Speaker 5: I love it. I think it's holding onto a memory a little bit like keeping memory boxes. But I think you have every right to keep that ring and do with it what you will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I just.
Speaker 4: Is there something tainted about it? Is the question that to me, yes, a little Yeah. Thirteen twenty four to ten, he gets a ring back, he got engaged, everything was happy, the world was a beautiful place, and now it's over and romance is dead and gone. Good morning, Jenna, good morning. Okay, thoughts on this one.
Speaker 6: So it's a pretty of a different situation, obviously, because my family, you know, my parents were together a long time. They had me and my brother and you know that type of thing. But my dad actually was unfaithful to my mom after they got engaged, and so she told him she didn't want to marry him anymore, but they stayed together. Well, she made him by her a second engagement ring because the first one was painted, and so when they finally did split about thirty years later, she kept both rings and I said to her that I wanted one, you know, that's a you know history, and you hand me down, and she went and sold them both on me without telling me, And so I'm a big devastated.
Speaker 4: Actually wow wow, But youin know, don't you think there's something in that if something bad happens with jewelry, jewelry can be tainted, can't well you know, you.
Speaker 6: Don't have to keep the item as it was. You know, he canidental pair of ear rings or nice next place and make it a news story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's very.
Speaker 6: It's enough to be half the day of an engagement ring, you know, because yeah, it could be came into something nice, you know, a bit more of a positive you know, you did have a loving relationship with.
Speaker 1: That one stage.
Speaker 4: Now, yeah, so the collective value of those two rings, what do you think it was?
Speaker 6: Oh, well, it was a long time ago, but yeah, you'd be looking upwards of maybe ten or fifteen thousands they were in there. Well, because the second one, the second one was a I'm really really sorry for what I did previously.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you so much, Jenna, stay sy, good.
Speaker 6: Morning, good morning.
Speaker 1: Do you give the ring back?
Speaker 7: No, he basically decided that he was going to leave after six years together we were married, and I said to him, I was like, look, if you really want to leave, I can't get these off, so.
Speaker 8: You're going to have to cut them. So he went straight to the stead got fires cut them off. Oh yeah, So I put them in my jewelry box and a few months later sold them and brought myself a ruby ring to stay like, I'm okay on my own.
Speaker 1: So the new ring was it like a sort of reincarnation of the old ring?
Speaker 6: Definitely? Not right?
Speaker 4: Okay no?
Speaker 8: But I also so these rings were the wedding band I actually paid for myself out of my own birthday money. The engagement ring was being paid off with Surgergy, so we were both paying for it anyway. So I was like, well, they're mine.
Speaker 1: Can I just say I'm glad this relationship?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: Oh, me too. Well, you had to buy your own wedding ring. Yeah, goodness, gracious that is well.
Speaker 8: So my birthday was only like a few days before our actual a few weeks before our weddings. Yeah, and I still didn't have the wedding ring. So all the money that I got from family and friends, my birthday I spent on the band You well
Speaker 3: Keeping that's all onto your morals, doesn't it Yeah, I have none.