Speaker 1: It's Show and Tell time. Thanks for joining us. It's Melon month today.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm good. I'm good today. My head, I've had a good run with my headaches at the moment, so.
Speaker 2: I really hate when you say that.
Speaker 1: Well, I said it to Sam the other day. I'm like, I've had nine weeks out of hospital, and he's like, oh my god. And then the next day I had a bad head. I don't talk about it anymore. I'm like, you, I don't want to jinx myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No.
Speaker 1: But because I've had a good run, it's like I'm on borrowed time now. So I've resigned to the fact that I might have to go into hospital every two months, and I've got an extra week at the moment, so I'm like, it's okay if I have to go in now.
Speaker 2: And this is okay as long as you know that there's a solution, yes, the.
Speaker 1: Issue, Yeah, the baddate solution, but there's a plan there anyway. So I'm good. But I am on the bandwagon of trying to get a lot more protein into my diet, which is doing my fucking heading.
Speaker 2: Of course it's important, Yes, all this stuff's important, but there's part of me that feels like this stuff can be a bit triggering because again it is like it's like counting calories. Yeah you.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's so it's so annoying. And also I get up in the morning and I'm not hungry, Like I'm just not that I'm working with a dietitian at the moment because my guts are so bad and I need help with getting my digestion working. And so it's a non dieting dietitian, which is the only kind of dietitian you should ever go to if you need help in that area. But she's like, you got to start having more regular small meals. I just find it's so hard because like when I'm hungry, I'm ravenous. When I'm not hungry, I'm not hungry, and trying to force myself to eat is awful. But I've looked like those I bought these like vegan protein bars. My god, they make me so gassy. My stomach looks like a pregnant belly. I'm like, oh my god, I can't do this, but I need something I can just run out the door with, you know. And I've also got those Tubani high protein yogurts and I'm just trying so hard, but I'm so bloated and so gassy that I'm like, maybe protein's not for me.
Speaker 2: You know that those yogurts that are high protein, there's like I don't know if it's a taste or a smell to them, right, it's like it's like you can smell the way or whatever is this, Yeah, you can smell it. And also with yogurts for me, once you've opened the tub, yeah, as soon as I open that lid to have it again and I see the separation, Oh yeah, you've almost got to close your eyes water. I'm like, I can't look at that. I can't do it.
Speaker 1: And I always second guess if it's off or not, which it's not. But I'm like, m's this off. But I'm trying so hard. There's only so much meat you can eat and then peanut butter, and I'm like, oh, this is so draining. I wish this wasn't our latest thing. I bet you it'll get to two years time and be like it's not protein that you need, it's this, Like it'll be one of those things that changes. Again.
Speaker 2: I'm not an advertisement for this because my diet is so bad, right, But I think I still think the barometer is just when you're going to eat something, try and have a bit of protein, a bit of veggies, whatever on your plate. Just try and make it a balanced meal, a rainin bough, a rainbow. But like it's the counting of you need this.
Speaker 1: I can't count. I'm not counting. Brook is on the protein. Brook who I do icronic with, is on the protein and for her health she absolutely has to be, which I do too. But she bumsteered me so bad. She's like, oh, I just had a high protein snack. She had a corn cakes with bisc off and a banana on it, and she's like, yeah, it's really high protein. So I get the bisk off. I look at it. It's so full of fucking sugar. There's like point five protein in there. And I'm like, a corncake's got none, banana's got none. I'm like, what are you doing to me? I ate half the jar because it's it's like natala on crack. It's just cookies.
Speaker 2: I don't rate that.
Speaker 1: What tastes like caramel. And everyone's like, you've got to get the crunchy one, the ones with crunchy bits in it. Oh, it's so good, and then I've been mixing it in with my protein yogurt and so it's just like my whole protein has just gone to shit because it's just caked in piscotti. Fuck shit. One of the other things that I really want to try, which the Kardashians are, I forget the name of the doctor, but he always pops up on my Instagram and he always talks about like ADHD and symptoms of it, and like he's more I guess, holistic doctor. But he was also on Chloe Kardashian's podcast, which I've never listened to. If you listen to that, no, no need that, but he is saying that saffron. He's always prescribed saffron supplements to his clients because apparently, and don't go off your medication, anyone who's on it, don't. None of this is like speak to your own doctor. But he was saying that saffron is done doing a lot of clinical trials and it is as good as an antidepressant, and also antidepressants quill your sex drive. Saffron apparently increases it.
Speaker 2: Antidepressants I would agree because when I've been on them in the past, that's a lot of they do totally.
Speaker 1: They absolutely annihilate it. But I was like, God, I've got to get some of these Saffron things. I looked them up. They're so expensive, because Saffron is like so ridiculously expensive, and I was like, oh my god. For thirty tablets it was like over a hundred bucks or something. I'm like, I really want to try this, and Chloe swears by them, but I'm like, oh, I can't do it.
Speaker 2: Chloe swears by it, but I'm sure. I'm sure there's other things going on for Chloe that are made life, you know, like the normal stuff that we might feel low about. And I'm not saying if you're rich or immune to being depressed, of course you're not.
Speaker 1: But you no, you're probably the opposite if you're that wealthy to be probably depressed. But I just am like, I can't. I know that some people, you know, a lot of people aren't into antidepressants and will go the natural route. I'm also like, there are so many different types of antidepressants that Saffron can't cover all the different types, no what I mean. So I'm like, oh, but I'm desperate to try it, but I need. If anyone knows a brand that doesn't cost a million bucks and is good, please show and Tell Podcasts is where you can find us. I bought some little somebody sent me ones for your kids, little chewelbuw ones that we've got vitamins and saffron like meant to be you know, moodcarmas. Oh my god, I got to give that to all my kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you know what I reckon. Just try it and see if you feel a difference. One hundred bucks. I don't know how long that's for.
Speaker 1: But let's say thirty tablets, okay, So no, no, sorry, you meant have three a day. So it worked out to be ludicrous. That's what I was like. And I'm also having beef liver tablets. I'm low on iron, so I'm having an iron tablet and beef liver four of those a day, and so's BackStar, so we're just churning through them. I'm like, this is so ridiculous how expensive it is to try and have a healthy lifestyle and get what your body needs. Also, I had another appointment with my psychiatrist yesterday, a half hour appointment, and then he pushed it into forty five, because again he went through every single note, read like on the phone to me my sleep study and all other notes eight hundred dollars again, and I ended up saying to him, Hey, I'd really like to try this, and he's like, okay, well let's try that. And that was the end of the conversation. And I said to Sam, I literally sat there in silence most of it while he went over my notes. Sam's like, what are the profession? Can you rock up to a meeting and not be prepared for There is.
Speaker 2: A real thing at the moment where I actually read a story a couple of weeks ago about a mother who diagnosed her child like her child was having all of these issues, and she took him to like eleven different doctors to try and figure out what was wrong, and they're all like, there's nothing wrong, there's nothing wrong. And she knew something was wrong. She fucking used chat GPT YEAP, and she diagnosed it. They pushed for that, she pushed for these tests to be done. Yeah, and he had what it said. I'm like, now, not that I've lost faith in doctors, but the time constraints they have all that sort of stuff. I'm like there's so much available, like of course, like see a health professional, but there's so much stuff at our disposal. And I don't mean chat GPT, but the chat.
Speaker 1: GBT is proving to give in the medical world, give clearer, more specific results and diagnosises. It's really diagnosis whatever it is than actually, and I think we're absolutely always going to need a face to face, you know, doctor. But at the same time, yeah, it's like, for example, my wrist at the moment is so fucking sore, and I went and got I went to my and I love my GP, but went and got a scan and an X ray and then I got a text from her saying it's all clear. And I'm like, I can't put my wrist down. I can't, like I can barely pick things up. So is that it like I'm now going to have to go back and go I need to get an MRI now or something, because there's clearly something going on that those scans haven't picked up. But I hate that even things like that, you have to just constantly advocate for yourself, Like I'm not just gonna sit here and go all right, well, I just can't use his wrist.
Speaker 2: I think the like their thing is when she says nothing's wrong, it's like, oh, well there's no tumor in there or whatever like.
Speaker 1: That, something carpool tunnel or something like that. But I just feel like, going, well, can we please keep investigating this? I want just somebody in my medical world because there's so many to be really proactive where no one works together. Something will come back and go, well, there's nothing in your test results. But it's like, but I'm not okay, So what else are we going to do here? Like I'm the one who constantly has to push yeah, and it's frustrating. But yeah, Sam and I were talking about chap pt PT the other day and just how yeah, it's so specific with medical stuff. But also they're doing trials for people with psychologists doing face to face like ecologists and AI psychology and the outcomes of becoming better with the AI psychology because I guess they can get so they've got access to the world's knowledge that they're having. But I would I definitely want a face to face as opposed to I don't think that would take on the information of AI for that.
Speaker 2: No, And imagine people like imagine if you're a hypochondriac and you're consulting chat GPT, and then imagine we get to a space where you can access prescription medication through it or whenever. I'm that scary, Yes, But I do think I'm not when I say this, I'm not minimizing what you're saying, because like, I am this sort of person too. But I think some people are just more in tune with their bodies or more sensitive to feeling when they've got pain somewhere or whatever. Whereas someone else might like just go, oh well, like just get on with it, or my risk a sore, Oh well, it'll be fine, Whereas there's a feeling like it's almost like when we were talking the other day about like being more emotional, it's like you're more in tuned to feelings in your body, so the intensity of it feels more because you're more connected to your body.
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, I also think some people are just like, well, just suck it up, you know. To me, I'm like, I can't suck it up. I can't lift up my kid properly, Like no, no, you know what I mean. I feel I have a very high pain threshold. But it's like if it's I just am conscious and I think I have a health anxiety that I'm like, if I feel something in my body, I'm going to get it checked. I'm not waiting until it's too late. No, it's my worst night. I'm going to get something and go. Well if you didn't, like, for example, Sam's due to have a colonoscopy and just one of those shit tests and it's been sitting by his bed for like six months, and I'm like, that's going to be the test where it's like you should have got to it earlier, and I'm like, you just just do the fucking test. It's interesting though, talking about the doctors, you know, and getting prescription that you know, how you can do online doctors like you can just not your normal one, but you can just do I forget what they're called, yeah d on demand. Yeah exactly. So two of my mates got ozen picked through and the doctor made them take a photo and send through the photo and said through the photo yes. So one of my friends that's literally pushed her face back so it like made a bigger double chin and sent it through and got a prescription for it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's that's That's why I feel like we've gone too far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, things like that. It's like, that's good. It's like, what's it called, like willy nilly, Yeah, that'll do.
Speaker 2: Well. Speaking being annoyed, you know how. I'm not going to say a new segment, of course, but you know we do embarrassing for no reason. Yes, I was thinking the other day, like one of my most used phrases is for fuck's sake, Yes, just like all the time, everything pisses me off, And I was just being aware of things that were making me angry. But how irrational they were.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're all usually irrational.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I would say, for a like a normal person, you can just go, oh, that's annoying, but you're not going to have it like a fucking hisssy fit over it. But I made a little list of some things that are making me irrationally angry. This happened the other day. You know, when you pump out moisturizer or face wash or something, and it's like on the spout where it comes out, it's hardened a little bit, and then when you push it, it squirts off in another direction.
Speaker 1: Direction. Ye hit me right in the eye. It was facial No, that's fair enough.
Speaker 2: Was so angry, like it pissed me off. And it also happens with my moisturizer a lot, my body moisturizer.
Speaker 1: The body moisturizer always clunks up there, goos.
Speaker 2: Up the top, it goes on the floor and then the floor slippery.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know it. Well, I've read a meme the other day. It's like you know that you yeah, irrationally irritable or anxious when you get like over the top about objects as opposed to people, like you know, getting your top court on a door when you cross or something like that.
Speaker 2: It always have that anger in that moment, and then you're so frustrated that it can be good because it can take a comedic turn and then the laughter breaks it. Yes, you realize how fucking stupid you look trying. Yeah, this is a people related thing, a child related thing. The following responses to questions, I don't know. It wasn't me. I forgot. And I know every time I say to my kids, you know you've got to do that, and they say, oh, I know, I have asked you five times. You don't know. Every time they say it, I look at them and I know this is very bad parenting and I'm like, don't fucking say you know you don't know, because if you knew, you would do it. They like, you're a punish Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I hear myself with backs, and I'm like, i am such a punished because can you please pick up your clothes in the bathroom? I will. It's like, but you won't because you don't.
Speaker 2: It seems like a reasonable request, doesn't it is not reasonable reason, and you make things as easy as you can. Like my kids have baskets in their room to put their dirty washing in.
Speaker 1: I've got to do that for backs. I get them to put it straight into the laundry. I'm thinking I'm going to get him to start doing his own laundry.
Speaker 2: Do you reckon?
Speaker 1: And then I'm like, no, maybe I should still do it. It's a motherly thing to do. But I'm like, they've just got no idea what it takes to run a house. And the entitlement of them. How's this the other day? Because in the morning, it's such a fine toothcomb to get backs to school. It's like everything has to be smooth sailing. So it's like he's treated like a baby in there, because in the mornings because that's just the way it has to run in our house. And now the day, I said, get your own breakfast, and so he gets Natalla on toast and I said, don't make yourself Natella on toast again. He said, well, don't make me make my own breakfast. It's yeah. God. I was like, I fucked you. I have single handedly fucking broken you. And I got so angry. I'm like, how dare you You're making your own dattas from now? Like you just get so and he just was an off the cuff like he doesn't. He's not that much of a brat, But in that moment, I'm like, you're an entitled, fucking prick. It's so rude. You could do your In my head, I'm like, what can I get him to do or get him to do his own washing?
Speaker 2: I think maybe like washing, this is just for me though, like so everyone does their own thing. To me, washing feels extreme, but I think, like my kids make their own breakfast and their own lunches, their own school, I should right, Like I think what we do sometimes we all do is it's just you can't be fucked with the art.
Speaker 1: I can't be you're like same as I pack all the boys lunches. But that's because I like to know, Okay, you're getting a salad sandwich in there, or you're getting some fruit. If I said to backs pack your own lunch, it would just literally be six packets chips.
Speaker 2: But then maybe it's for example, like if you say to them, okay, pack it the night before, then you can look at it and say, listen, you need to put a piece of fruit in there or something. And then some days you're a bit looser like okay, well you can.
Speaker 1: You know what to do that. It literally comes down to Sam and are going what capacity do we have at the moment to enforce these rules, Like you set the rule and then it is up to you to enforce it as the parent. And sometimes I'm like, I just don't have any capacity, But I also know I'm crippling my children in the process of it. Like some I've got a friend whose kids do everything. They're unbelievable. They're the ones who prep the dinner, cook the dinner, they do their own breakfast, they do, you know, go and do the shopping and the cleanic like it's and they are such incredible kids that to me I compare myself and go, fuck my kid, like, well, just pour corn flakes or poor make himself a tell her on toast, and that's what he thinks a good breakfast. DearS, I just do everything.
Speaker 2: This is where parenting becomes, like it's so individualized. But I do think that you should let kids be kids in some ways too, So to do shopping and stuff. I'm like, I don't think that's a kid's responsibility. I think it's their responsibility to help out. Yeah, and pull their weight in some ways, but yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: I sort of feel like while they're young, like if we're talking about early teenagers or whatever.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I know it's hard to know, isn't it. But you've also got to read your kids. Sometimes I get really down on myself, and then I'm like, I know my kid's capacity, I know my capacity, and I also have to remind myself I'm doing the best I can. Like, I get really down on myself around my kids because it's our biggest thing. It's our biggest thing in life, and you just don't want to raise assholes and you want to make sure they're happy. And I have to just go you're doing the best you can. Like I have to constantly remind myself that because I put myself down so much as a parent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like, as you've said before, though, when he's not at home, the feedback is incredible.
Speaker 1: And he's got a job, like he works, you know, every Saturday and Friday after school, so I'm like, there's stuff going on there. But then, yeah, I think it's so dangerous. Compare your kids to other kids or the way you parent to other people, especially if there's a neurodivergency in the household. It's like you're parenting is very different than when it's quote unquote typical kids.
Speaker 2: It's different. I think our job is just to try and equip them with the tools to be able to like be a functioning, fucking kind an adult.
Speaker 1: Side, I'm like, my aim for my boys when they leave home is to be able to cook themselves two different meals. And then I'm like, that's all right, You'll be able to live if you cook two different meals.
Speaker 2: And you know what they might hate. One might love cooking and they'll make fifty thousand different meals, and one might hate cooking, and they'll you know.
Speaker 1: They've goft two minute noodles, and you know.
Speaker 2: What, this is what I say to my husband all the time too. Remember what you were like at fourteen? Will you offering to help your mum? Know she was probably writing you the same way that we do it with our kids. So sometimes I think you've got to go back and remember what it was like. And I know when my mum used to pack my lunch, right, I would go to school and a lot of the time I'd throw it out and I'd buy shit from the canteen. So we can control, Okay, we want to make sure they've got a nutritious lunch, but we don't know if they're fucking eating it.
Speaker 1: I know I am going to start making him do his own lunch, though. I think I'll still make the sandwich so I can make like a healthy sandwich and he can just put the rest of the shit in there, which is not hard.
Speaker 2: It's the it's the complaining is annoying. But I think it's just us being able to and it's so much easier said than done, because I just was talking about how I fucking go off about it. But I think it's just when they go.
Speaker 1: But do I have to make my lunch Why do I have.
Speaker 2: To make us just being calm and going That's what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Otherwise you go hungry or you spend your own money that you're making at the Canteen Good Workshop.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so sold at Parenting Problems of the World. Yeah, we're parenting heroes. All right, We're going to get out of here everyone. Thank you so much for listening to our patrons. Thank you for your memberships over at patreon dot com. Forward slash Chantal online is where we do an extra little pod every two weeks, and I think memberships start around five dollars. Otherwise, get in touch with a show and tel podcast on Instagram is where you can find us and we will talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Bye, Love you,