Speaker 1: Apoge Production.
Speaker 2: I'm Mickie Fisher and welcome to the Village Crazy Lady. People are talking to me and they are not physically in this room, so just strap in for that.
Speaker 3: Can't call me crazy because I said it first.
Speaker 2: Whoever's trying to come through, whatever messages need to come through, like, just bring it on.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Crazy Crazy Crazy, The Village Crazy Lady Podcast. Hello, gorgeous legends, and welcome to another episode of the Village Crazy Lady. This week, I have an incredible guest in who is going to educate the shit out of us. I've got Rebecca May, who is the period coach. We connected about over a year. Well it was well over a year ago now actually a couple of years. Yes, Oh my god, that's gone so fast. So even though I'm someone who has grown up in a family of all girls, like literally the eldest of four girls and only our mum raised us, I knew absolutely fucking nothing about my cycle, like literally nothing. It was a surprise every single time my period came. I have ENDO, I have PMDD. I've always had like so many issues around my cycle. I've only got one fallopian tube. Like there's so much shit going on down there, and I just was so unbelievably disconnected, like just knew absolutely nothing. But then I started to learn more about cycles and like why we should be why we should be learning about them just because they literally are such a significant part of our life, like because dirt, I know, like really massive. One side had children, but I only had like one or two periods between each kid because I would like get pregnant, breastfeed. I'm one of those lucky ones who wouldn't get their period again until i'd basically finish breastfeeding, and then I'd have like two periods and then I'd fall pregnant again.
Speaker 3: And I just did that a few times.
Speaker 4: Once I had.
Speaker 2: That was just my life for like, you know, a bunch of years. And then I once.
Speaker 3: I had Woody, I was like so excited.
Speaker 2: To get my period back because I was like, this is it, Like because I was like, there's no fucking way I'm having more children, like I'm absolutely done and dusted, like sew me up, no, thank you, like sent Chris off to get nuted, and we were like, you know, absolutely not. And I was like, once I get my period back, and by this time we'd connected we chatted. I'd learned a fair bit from you. I was so interested in, like everything that you had to teach, And I said to myself, the second I get my period back, I'm working with you one on one because I just want to really fucking learn and understand my cycle. So let's fucking talk about it. For status Beck, what got you into it? Like, what made you so passionate about learning about cycles?
Speaker 1: So I originally was really interested in my cycle, similar to you.
Speaker 4: After the birth of my first baby, Olive.
Speaker 1: I got my cycle back at around ten months postpartum, and something inside me was just like, I feel like I need to explore this deeper. And so I actively went out and started seeking information about this thing I'd heard of cord cyclic a living and I got all the information I could and started applying it to myself, and I found that it just changed my entire life, literally, like it made me a better person, It made me a better mother, and made me feel so grounded in you know, that first year of post pardon when life is just so crazy and like you're just learning so much about yourself.
Speaker 4: And so it was just something that I.
Speaker 1: Felt this deep calling, like I need to share this with as many people as possible, because why are we not learning this already? Like why do I Why am I nearly thirty? I was like, I think twenty eight or something like that at the time. Why am I nearly thirty? And I'm literally just learning how the foundational elements of my body work.
Speaker 3: It is literally wild insane.
Speaker 2: The fact that it's not like taught to us day dot yeah, is crazy.
Speaker 4: Like it's literally how we work.
Speaker 2: It is the thing that keeps the world literally going and keeps the world populated. And yet we're just like sneaking tampons like into bathrooms with shame, just like it's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's a big part of it too, I think, is you know, the shame and trauma that we're still working through. Like I remember being like going to Woolies and being like, I need to get some tampons, but I need to be very fucking discreet because my neighbor might see me carrying a box of tampons in the supermarket, like god forbid. Yeah, right, but that neighbor is also probably going to get the same thing because she also menstruates, right.
Speaker 4: I know it may it makes sense, but.
Speaker 1: I think a big part of you know, learning about our cycle like is learning to unlearn those you know, traumas and the beliefs we have around our period being shameful and being disgusting and being an inconvenience. And I think that's, you know, one of the big parts of learning about your unique period patterns is that's a big part of it.
Speaker 4: And that's so.
Speaker 1: After I decided I really want to teach this to everyone, I want to did my menstrual cycle coaching certification and since then I've come up with a period method, which is a you know, really simple method to teach anyone how to live a cyclical life, how to learn your period patterns, so that then you can go ahead and apply that for whatever comes up, it doesn't matter what it is. And so that's the really important part of it too, is that just because you learn about your period doesn't mean it's going to fix it, right. You have to do something about it. You have to learn what your normal looks like. And that's why you're like, you know, you're saying, you saw all these posts about the lucial phase, and you saw all these things about how to you know, get rid of painful periods, but maybe they didn't apply to you specifically, because although we all have the same hormones and they you know, do similar things in our bodies, imbalance always shows up a different way, no matter like who we are, it shows up in a different way because we're all different, right, we all have different beliefs, we all have different stories, we all have different ways our bodies work, we all have different ways we.
Speaker 4: Store our emotions.
Speaker 1: Like, there's so many elements to it, and so that's why, you know, as you said, the one on one support is so key in getting to that point where you're like, hey, this isn't right, this isn't my usual period pattern. How can I really quickly self correct here and get back into a winement and start feeling really good again?
Speaker 3: And the thing is it doesn't take much. That's what I really have realized.
Speaker 2: My favorite things that I've learned, and like what I think I got out of really learning my cycle was one, working with your cycle is everything, because the second, the second I started working with my cycle as opposed to just fucking working, but then constantly like shaming myself for like why do I have such a writer's block? Why don't I want to see people today, Why don't I feel like doing this?
Speaker 3: Why am I like? And I would just shame myself.
Speaker 2: It just added like layers and layers and layers and layers of shame, which already we're like absolutely fucking frenched in.
Speaker 3: So it didn't help me at all.
Speaker 2: I was constantly just shaming myself for fucking existing or just It's like I genuinely thought that I was supposed to be in like an ovulation sort of state of being energetically all the time.
Speaker 4: And that's the fault, right, That's what we're taught. That's how we're taught.
Speaker 1: Because the world runs on a twenty four hour cycle, which is conducive to a man's hormonal cycle, right, their hormones reset every twenty four hours in the same secular motion, but it's every twenty four hours, whereas us as women, it's twenty eight days or thereabouts twenty eight days a monthly cycle. And so all these women like, yes, power to women, we can do work now, we can do all these things. But what we've done is really been detrimental to our health in the way that we've tried to like a immolate into society. But we've just tried to show up as men. We haven't done it trying to show up as women. And so that's why we're finding I'm seeing now so many people like yourself, you know, peacos burnout. Our nervous systems are absolute rex because we're just not listening to our bodies.
Speaker 4: And we don't know how to do it.
Speaker 1: People don't know how to listen to their bodies because they're told, oh, that's it's just normal to have period pain. Just suck it up and take some neurofim right, But like, no, it's not normal.
Speaker 4: It's just common. We just experienced it. So mm hmm. The doc thinks it's normal, it's not.
Speaker 2: And the way that like god, it shits me to tears. I mean, this could be its own fucking podcast. The way that the patriarchy has just created this, in the way that like women's bodies, our women's health everything, the fact that it's even like such a thing, at least in Australia at the moment.
Speaker 3: I know, in Queensland we've been lucky enough.
Speaker 2: That we've got a pretty good women's health minister and she's been doing a look for like we've and to reproductive health and like just generally around women's health, and we're like, wow, thank you, this is amazing when it's like it shouldn't be a thing where we're sitting there going like, oh my god, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: And the facts, please give us some breadcrambs, you.
Speaker 2: Know literally, and and the fact that like the pill, like we know, there's been so many of us who have experienced horror stories from being on the pill. Yes, it definitely has its benefits, and yes, like you know, we at the moment, we just need what we can as far as contraception is concerned for our autonomy.
Speaker 3: But like where the fuck is the is the men's pill? You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like there's just so many things. It fucks with our hormones and then we end up with all these issues. We still know nothing.
Speaker 3: About our cycle. They're just like shut it down, shut it down, shut up.
Speaker 2: But then as soon as like our hormones are affected and our cycles are affected and we you know, to come in we have fertility issues, that's when they start going oh dear, yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's so interesting because the way that they passed the pill was so dodgy, like they literally moved the standard of what was safe so that they could get the pill onto the market, and so I always just wonder, like, would that have happened if the men that were on that panel that approved the pill were the ones that were going to be taking it?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: And I do agree with you, Yes, the pill has a really great place for some people, but I think it's such this is a whole other podcast as well, but it's prescribed so often, and actually there's a new law in Australia which is allowing pharmacists to now prescribe this medication to people. You can walk into a pharmacy and get another, you know, refill of the pill, which is again great for some people if it's right for you. But the thing that concerns me so much with the pill is that women and even teenagers that are taking the pill are not explained the adverse effects of it and it explained what the other side of it is. They're only shown this is what this is the gold of the pill, this is what it's going to do for you. But then there's no warning of like but it's actually gonna shut down your entire hormonal system and it's not going to come back online until you stop taking the pill. So you know in twenty years when you stop taking the pill and you want kids too bad, so sad you've got pea corse or you've got endo or you have all these fertility issues and so yeah, I think that there's a really key education piece missing when the pill's being prescribed like candy, Like it's just wild.
Speaker 3: Oh, one hundred percent agree.
Speaker 2: I mean, so my story is that I was like put on all these different pills or whatever like since you know, like most people, when I was a teenager, I was going in a school camp. Don't want to get period of the school camp, so you know, that's why we start the pill. And the doctor has no worries, no problems. Here you go, you fourteen year old girl. And I went on off a bunch of different ones. They all made me feel shit, and I was like just trying out different ones and each time they'd sort of give me another one, have a crack. And then eventually I was sort of on this one for a little while, and I'd gone back to the same doctor to get the prescription and it would all go, you know, it would be fine.
Speaker 3: They didn't care, they didn't give a shit.
Speaker 2: And then I went to a different doctor one time, and she said not not with like care or anything. It might have been a man, I can't remember, but they said, oh, just so you know, I have to let you know that, you know, this pill is actually banned in every other country because it's because there's like it's been giving women blood cloths and women have been dying. And I'm like, here you go, hold but yeah, but anyway, here's this least at least they told you right literally with like eyes rolling, I just have to tell you. And I was like, here, hold the fuck on, and like I know that the FDA in Australia is quite used behind mind you, just so everyone knows this pill is still on the market. And then five years later, I literally was working in a coffee shop and there was this woman who was like coming in every day for a while, and I was just like, you know, I'm a chatter, so I would talk to her and you we'd have great yaps, and eventually she said to me, She's like, oh, you're probably wondering why, like I'm not working and I'm coming in all the time, and I'm like, to be honest, not at all.
Speaker 3: It has not crossed my mind once.
Speaker 4: I like, but yeah, we want to tell you the story.
Speaker 2: I'm like, that's literally all I think about. I'm like, it has consumed me. And she said, she's like, I had a stroke, like from a blood clot that i'd received because I was on that specific pill. I can't remember exactly the name of it, and so I'm not going to pretend to know, but I'm sure it would take you fifteen seconds to google it.
Speaker 3: And I was.
Speaker 1: Probably not the only one to be honest exactly, so I'm pretty sure if you look at all the side effects on all the pill packets, they probably have that listed.
Speaker 2: Literally, But I was just like, oh my god, And as someone who is like you know, used to have absolutely fine, dandy, no worries, no problems, hormones, and then all of a sudden was taking the pill. And then I was also with a boyfriend who like refused to wear condoms, so I was just eating morning after.
Speaker 3: Pills like they were like literally lollies. And I'm just like, it makes you angry.
Speaker 2: You're like, and I'm now still like dealing with the effects of endo and all sorts of things. I was told I couldn't have kids, Like there were so many things that have gone on, and I'm still trying to fucking sort my hormones out, and I'm like, oh, I just wish instead. At some stage, someone like just empowered me. They were like, hey, periods are a bad thing, or like you can go to a school camp and fucking bleed and it's not the end of the world, because we're not like, oh, my lord, that's the most shameful, horrific thing to ever have happened, you know, like, yeah, and it's just the lack of care of like we don't give a fuck up about your body.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think another really important element to the pill that not a lot of people talk about, but there was a big part of my story as well, is you know, I was similar to you, like, oh, I don't want my period. That's so annoying, Like let's just get on the pill and like squash that. And you know, took the pill, you know, did what it was meant to. But then a couple of months later, I found myself back in the doctor's office, you know, being prescribed another pill, which was any depressants. And so the correlation between from my body anyway, between taking the pill and my anxiety like really flaring up to the point where it got to like a depressive stage. Is like, it's so obvious looking back on it, but I didn't figure it out for a really long time. And so it wasn't literally until I started living sicklicly that I was able to come off the antidepressant medication. I was off the pill like a long time ago, but the after effects of it, the anti you know, the antidepressants, having the anxiety and the depression like hanging over my head that lasted for like ten plus years after I stopped taking the pill.
Speaker 2: And so sorting out your cycle and learning like living cyclically helped absolutely.
Speaker 1: I would say it was the key factor in me coming off.
Speaker 4: Like my medication.
Speaker 1: And just as a disclaimer, don't just stop your medication because you're.
Speaker 3: Like, that's not that's not what I'm saying, right.
Speaker 4: I did with a doctor as well, you know, and we weaned it off. We weaned off really safely.
Speaker 1: But you know, like during my first pregnancy, I came off my medication cold turkey because I didn't want to be on medication like.
Speaker 4: While I was pregnant and it was really rough.
Speaker 1: And then pretty much as soon as I had my first I was back on the medication because as you know, like when you become a mom, like life is freaking crazy and you're learning who you are again, and like all these things are happening, and so like, you know, straight back on the medication, and I was having this second pregnancy like and having the difference of I was already off the medication this time, Like I'd already learned about being cyclical and you know, how to regulate my mood swings and all that sort of thing, and my nervous system that's a huge part of it as well. And so having that experience of being like medication free but not having the withdrawals of even.
Speaker 4: Like the medication and things like that.
Speaker 1: This pregnancy it was just such a different experience and even like postpartum this time was so much nicer. And I do I mean, I know, you know, having a second baby, it's always going to be a little bit different because you're a little bit more experienced, right, But there's still a lot of things going on. There's still a lot of hormones, are still adjusting to life as a.
Speaker 4: Mom of two.
Speaker 1: You know, I was thrown into ten days in NICU with my baby unexpectedly. There was, you know, three weeks postpartuer, I was like just looking after two kids by myself or my support had just gone home, and I was just sitting there like, oh fuck, I've got two humans to look after.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But the way I was able to just go with the flow and just allow things to be as they were and stop trying to fight them.
Speaker 4: I learned that through cyclic a.
Speaker 1: Living like what you were saying, you learn to work with your body and you stop trying to fight it.
Speaker 4: You just go with it, and it's mumps.
Speaker 2: It starts to bleed into not to use, literally bleed bleed into every other sort of element of your life. Just the concept of like working with and not against, like when you start understanding and because I think the other thing that I've learned with like learning my cycle is I've and working with it is I've also realized that everything is cyclic. I've noticed the energy and like you start to then when you start working with the energy of you know, the planets and the astrological sort of energies and then the collective energies, you know, for me, that's sort of more what I sort of work with and I can really see it. I see that everything is a cycle and like it's so fascinating. And then instead of like trying to move through the waves and the ups and the downs and everything else, instead of trying to like fucking push against them and then hate them for being there and being like this is all fucked. Nothing's working all of a sudden when you start moving with it and you start to really appreciate the ups and the downs and the lows and the highs and recognizing that they all have a really important place, like life does start. Your nervous system starts to just like settle, Your life starts to settle.
Speaker 3: You're not trying to. You are quite happy to sort of like go with the flow a bit more.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying it's sort of like, you know, I'm still you know, fucking crazy in so many ways and control.
Speaker 1: You're still a human, right, but we're not now like perfect, but is a lot better than it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly right. And it's just it feels like it feels just more right.
Speaker 1: It feels like this is how I'm meant to be living, and this is the lens in which I'm meant to be viewing the world. It's not like someone else has said to you, like, this is what you should think.
Speaker 4: You know. It's like when you do your twelve English and.
Speaker 1: They say to you, this is the book you're studying, and this is what your opinion has to be to get top marks.
Speaker 4: No, that's not how it works.
Speaker 1: Our bodies are our own bodies, and no one else knows your body like you do. And I think, you know, if you can take one thing away from this conversation about your cycle, like, yeah, you can go google what the hormones mean and what they're going to do in different phases of your cycle. But it's the most important thing you need to take away from this conversation is that you need to start trusting your own instincts in your own body and start listening to it before it gets so loud that you don't know how to fix it.
Speaker 2: One hundred and fifty percent. And there is so much that you can learn about yourself in learning.
Speaker 3: About your cycle.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about for people who are like you know, maybe you track your cycle, maybe you know a bit about your cycle, or maybe you're like us and like in your thirties and you're going, well, not us anymore.
Speaker 3: But us previously. And it's like, how.
Speaker 2: Do I not know fucking anything about my body? Can you please give us a lesson?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: I always find this hard to keep short, but I will do my best. But you are correct tracking our cycle, as you know, track your damn cycle. It's the first thing you need to do to start learning your period patterns. And I'm not talking about tracking your cycle on an app. I'm talking about getting my free tracker that you can come and get from your Instagram. Put the link in the show notes. So you need to start trying on a piece of paper. And that's because we need our body to slow down enough to connect to our mind. We need that mind body connection to be able to actually check in with ourselves. How am I feeling today? How am I checking in today? And that's the number one first step. That's what I was just talking about. Trusting your intuition. It's not oh, I'm on cycle day, you know one, and so I should be feeling this way. That's not what we wanted to do. We don't want to do that. We want to say first how am I feeling in my body? And then we want to add that layer on top what cycle day am I on? And does that kind of match where I should be is this my regular period pattern from my body, and also what's externally going on for me right now that could also be affecting that, right because that's important too.
Speaker 4: So that's what I want.
Speaker 1: To start with, is because I love giving an education, but I don't want you to take it away and say, well, I'm not feeling like that right now, That's fine. We need to just learn how to call correct a little bit. And so that's the first place to start. And I have a freebie which I am about to launch at the time of recording this, so I'm not sure when we're releasing this podcast, but it's going to have a video on exactly what to track, how to track. It's got five days of voice notes from me all about you know, cycle imbalances, learning your period patterns, how to say consistent, all those kind of things. That's jam packed full of information. And so I'll give you the link for that, and then you can go ahead and start printing your own cycle trackers and start doing that, because that's a very important first step.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: Can I just the writing down like because I did the same thing, and I was doing the apps and I was whatever it was kind of like, oh, I have an idea of what's going on writing down how you feel every day, and I noted and I realized, and I think you said to me sort of that first month, it's just like, oh, just that's really interesting.
Speaker 3: That's it. Sort of like that's really interesting.
Speaker 4: Three months is interesting, yeah.
Speaker 2: And because really and then but after a few months of doing that, all of a sudden you start to realize, oh, hold it. I felt like that last month. I felt like that the month before. I now know exactly the day where I basically have insomnia and I just really stuck at sleeping, and I now just go, oh my god, how nice is this.
Speaker 3: I just get to enjoy fucking staying up and reading or not.
Speaker 4: Right, And it's like that's your period pattern for you.
Speaker 1: So you could say, like, that's on day twenty one that I have that insomnia. Yeah, yeah, But then the person next to you might be like, oh, but I feel really tired that day and I sleep for like twelve hours that day. Yes, That's what I'm saying when I say like, yes, you can have education, but you can never replace your own intuition.
Speaker 3: Totally and figuring it out for yourself.
Speaker 2: And is so fucking empowering when you start to go like, oh my god, I understand my body now.
Speaker 3: Anyway, keep going.
Speaker 1: Okay, so quick overview of the hormones of the menstrual cycle, right, because obviously hormones play a huge role in how we're feeling and you know, physically, emotionally, all those things, they're all a big part of it. So cycle day one is the first day of a full bleed, right, So it's not when we're spotting. It's not like, oh maybe it's here, maybe it's not. It's the first day of the full bleed. So that cycle day one. And so when you start when you track, that's when you want to track a cycle day one and that is so that's such a menstruation phase.
Speaker 4: So that's when we have our period.
Speaker 1: And a lot of people think that this is what I'm talking about when I talk about the menstrual cycle is just these three to seven days when you're bleeding and then that's it. Then you just go about your life and then oh I got my cycle back. No, your cycle is happening every single day, right, So this is what we're going to talk about now. So menstrual phase is three to seven days usually, and it's not specifically going to end. That phase isn't going to just end when you stop bleeding all the time, because it's an energetic thing as well. So I want you to when you're cycle tracking, start paying attention to how you're feeling, because there will be a transition day where then you transition into the next phase, which is the follicular phase, which I also like to refer to as in a spring. And so this is when we're feeling a little bit more energetic and we're starting to you know, blossom out. If you think about spring, the flowers are blossoming, right, we're blossoming out of ourselves. We're starting to go a bit more outward, getting a bit more social, a bit more confident, a bit more creative, all those kind of things. And so in contrast to that the menstruation phase, where you're very inward, you don't want to talk to people, you're just really reflective, and you're really craving rest and warmthed and nourishment, those two things are quite different, right, So there's going to be like a really interesting transition phase here in the middle of those two things. And so what I find a lot of the time is people go, oh, my bleed's finished, I'm just going to go out and start being creative and frolic in the fields. No, it doesn't work like that.
Speaker 2: It's actually so interesting because I'm on the precipice right now, like I've just sort of finished the bleed, but today I'm still very like, can't be fucked being online, like wan to talk.
Speaker 3: To as few people as possible. Obviously you've made the cards. That's really great for you. Which really does feel like that people are in that phase.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and honestly, like, and so I think that this is where a lot of people come undone with their cycle health is because they try to push really hard. And this is going back to what I said before, because they should be feeling this way because they're not bleeding anymore.
Speaker 4: But that's not how your body works.
Speaker 1: And so really just like honoring that transition is really important. And so after we move from the spring phase, we move into our ovulation phase. And again, obviously ovulation is just the releasing of the egg, right, so that doesn't take three or so days, but the energy of ovulation is around about three days or so usually, and so that's our like peak status. Like that's when we're outgoing, we feel sexy as hell. You know, you're probably you know, wanting to go on dates with our partners or cocktails with the girls, or be out in the community and socializing. Like we're really wanting to be like outward and we're feeling really bloody good about ourselves.
Speaker 2: Literally me and my ovulation I'm like, who's that hot bitch? Also, I just want to like basically just like bang Chris, just like like I'm like me cocking Libido skyrocket. Yeah, I'm like, now's your time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 1: This is why it's important for partners to know our cycles as well. Right, Yes, they need to know these things too.
Speaker 4: Chris loves knowing for nothing else, right, this will get them on board one.
Speaker 2: Hundred other way, he knows when to like not even fucking come near me and only say nice words and like yeah, just don't poke the bear because I will rip your fucking head off, And then he knows when he can just like.
Speaker 4: Really soon they're on in.
Speaker 1: It's so true, though, And so what I want to say for ovulation energy is just be really careful here about any plans that you might be making, Like people get really fucking excited in ovulation and they're like commit to a lot of things that aren't going to be helpful for them in the next week or two. So you know, it's like if you ever wondered, like why when I'm like, oh, yeah, I'm going to catch up with all these people and I've committed to this work task and that thing, and I'm going to do this work presentation because you're feeling really good at the time you commit. Yeah, but because you don't know your cycle, you've booked that for two weeks time, right before your period is about to come, and that's the time when you're probably feeling the least outward in your whole entire cycle.
Speaker 4: Right literally, So then you get there and you're like shit.
Speaker 1: And then once you can take that a step further and start, you know, looking at your cycle as a whole and start living in that monthly you know turnover instead of in the daily turnover, and start really strategically and intentionally placing different tasks in different phases of your cycle, you can really optimize it to set yourself up for like a really smooth transition. And so I guess so for people at home who aren't really sure why I'm carrying on about the lutill face so much. So in the lutill phase, after our hormones hit their peak in ovulation, what happens is all I feel good hormones, they just plummet, they drop right off, and we're just left like, oh shit, this is big void, right, Oh shit, I feel really shit.
Speaker 4: And so to go from.
Speaker 1: One extreme to the other, yeah, it's like one extreme to the other really quickly. But they'n our great friend progestering comes along. And so this is another thing, right, if we're having balances and our progesterone is not really hitting where it's meant to, it can affect us. But our progesterone is skyrockets in this phase, and so it's really great hormone. It's an anti anxiety hormone. It helps us sleep better. There's all these things that it really helps support us with. So if you're feeling, you know, really anxious and like trying to resist against all these things in your you know, luteal phase, you're not sleeping enough because we actually do need a little bit more sleep in this phase, all those kind of things. That's when our body starts to be like, hey, something's not right here, and it's going to start giving you signs that.
Speaker 4: It's out of balance.
Speaker 1: So that's superior pain, that's the mood swings, that's all those things. So this is again why it's so important to listen and go with our body instead of trying to resist it. But the thing about the Lout to Your phase is actually has a second drop because a progesterone. Once our body realizes that hey we haven't we haven't given it a baby this cycle, it drops off because they don't need it anymore. So there's two really big drops of hormones in the lot to Your phase. And so that's why that phase can feel really rollercoaster, because if you look at a chart of the hormones and it literally looks like a roller coaster.
Speaker 2: Right, that makes so like, just from a completely evidential, from my life standpoint, that makes so much fucking sense.
Speaker 3: Just the double drop, the.
Speaker 2: Double drop, the fun one, just a completely hitch of a double drop. I feel that every single I'm like, why does this, why does it go forever?
Speaker 3: Why does it feel like there's.
Speaker 1: It is the longest phase, it's the longest phase, and it does have those two drops, so it can feel really hard if we're not setting ourselves up in the other phases of our cycle for that for that phase and for our bleed and actually in our later louteer phase mid to late LOUTI your phase, we actually get really productive. And I don't know if you've noticed this, but you probably get like similar to that nesting phase when you're having a baby, right you want to get all this shit done. You're really like, I'm really productive and getting all these loose ends tied up, and like, I don't know why I've suddenly got this big burst of energy and I'm really like getting everything done. And that's because your body's naturally doing that so that you can start to lean into.
Speaker 4: The rest when you get to your mental phase.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so if you have some tasks that you've you know, started in your inner spring that you're like getting those creative ideas and they're really flowing, write down the creative ideas and you're in a spring and start to execute them. But if there's stuff that you really want to get wrapped up, you can sort of send that over to the luteal phase and you can start using that productivity in that phase to get shit done.
Speaker 2: It's so like even just like rehearing all of this now, I can already see, like because one thing I noticed is that when I really am moving with my.
Speaker 3: Cycle, like because it is it's like you have this like.
Speaker 2: You know, month ish where if you're if I'm if, I'm like, you know, flickular comes around and that is my just like I'm so motivated, I'm so creative. I just want to do all these things. I have all these ideas. All of a sudden, I'm making like fifty reels, starting a new fucking business, like releasing something new like who knows with me, just all sorts of shit. I'm like, you know, forty podcast episodes. And then I get to the ovulation phase and I'm like, wow, I'm so hot, I'm so great, lucky me like life is amazing and that only lasts three fucking days unfortunately, and then I just start going into my like spiral, spiral, spiral up, a little bit, double spiral, second spiral, and if I am not resting enough, because that's something that I I struggle with, is rest and so as someone who struggles with resting or stopping, and that's like I still struggle with that even though I'm like, I need to do this, but when I do actually do it and listen to it, my actual period hurts less. And as someone who gets very very painful cycles and has endometriosis, that's crazy. They are lighter, they aren't as intense. I don't feel as shit house just and then it like sets me up for the next cycle. If I've within that month have had a really emotional, crazy lots of things happening coming up kind of month, my actual.
Speaker 3: Period, my bleed will reflect that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everything about.
Speaker 2: Like it's so interesting, Like it's so fascinating to me, even like I also find if I'm using campons instead of a menstrual cup, I notice the difference in my entire cycle, and then like what happens the next time, Like just these little things that you think are so insignificant, but once you are like listening to your body that dramatically all of a sudden, it's like, well, it's telling me everything. Like it literally is just this final thing where it's like, let's just reflect.
Speaker 3: On the month that we've just had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you're tracking your cycle and you're really you know your cycle really well, it narrows down what could like what's not clicking? Where where am I like, you know, not feeling okay, And like it gives you such an indication of like which hormones might be out of fucking whack, what could be possibly going on? Like that's like something that I've even learned so much about it. It's just helped narrow things down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's like it's so important like to have that information to be able to take to say like your doctor or your specialist or your natural path or you know, whatever you're doing as well to help you know, balance your hormones or you know, whatever you're.
Speaker 4: Doing with that. It's it's invaluable information for them as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, on.
Speaker 2: What it's something that you like because we should will start we'll start wrapping up for people. And I feel like we could do another episode in this and we could talk about so many more things.
Speaker 3: We could talk for years about it.
Speaker 2: But what is like one bit of wisdom, guidance, information, something that you feel like you really want, not even just women, because like I'm hoping that there will be people listening to this who aren't bleeding and aren't menstruating and they're learning because it's important for everyone to learn.
Speaker 3: What do you think is you're parting with?
Speaker 1: Well, coming off the back of that, the thing I've been thinking about a lot lately is how do we break this shame and taboo cycle?
Speaker 4: Like? How do we break that?
Speaker 1: How can I make sure that my kids are not having to go through this shit storm to get to the point where we are now, where we understand how our bodies work on a foundational way. And I think you know the answer is always going to be that it starts with you. If you haven't dealt with your own shame and trauma taboo around your cycle, you're going.
Speaker 4: To pass it on to your kids.
Speaker 1: It's just a fact, Like you're just going to part That's what's going to happen if you're hiding the fact that you bleed every month, if you're not educating your sons that there's a such thing as a period, right, Like, my partner was one of two three boys, and so he had no fucking idea about what cycles were. They were like this big mysterious thing and so like obviously it's very educated now, but he had no idea. And then like then we had a daughter, and so like God forbid anyf thing.
Speaker 4: Happens to me, Who's going to teach her? You know?
Speaker 1: And so I think a lot of people are wondering, you know, how do I do that? How do I break this cycle? And it starts with you learn it for yourself, learn how to you know, regulate your own cycle. For so many reasons, stop being the cranky mom. You can stop having blaming the mood swings and you know, putting them out onto everyone else. You can have, you know, a relatively pain free cycle.
Speaker 4: There's so many benefits to it.
Speaker 1: But the number one benefit for me is that our children are going to just have this information to go and do what they please with, but they're going to have it and they're never going to feel embarrassed about their bodies. And that's so powerful. That's like the most powerful thing to me, not to be ashamed of our bodies and to have the education and information around how they actually work.
Speaker 3: Oh, Mike could not agree more.
Speaker 2: And that was a big reason why I was wanted to learn, because I was like, I'm not gonna be able to teach my kids shit because I have no idea.
Speaker 3: I don't even know for myself.
Speaker 2: So how on earth am I supposed to expect chrips who also grew up in a home where they didn't talk about it to know anything. If I don't even know, and I grew up in a house full of girls, how how are my kids supposed to know anything about their bodies or his sister's bodies, or your friends or friends or whoever's bodies if I don't even know.
Speaker 4: So I love that.
Speaker 3: I think that's so important.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much, Beck for coming and chatting with me, oh the village crazy lady. Thanks for having me or the crazies. How can people find you? I'm gonna put everything in the show notes and all the cycle tracker and everything, but yeah.
Speaker 4: So just come over onto Instagram.
Speaker 1: I'm at the period dot coach and we can yeah chat there.
Speaker 3: Amazing. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Bye bye bye