Speaker 1: Friday on my mind. I think Friday at Night is on every footy fans mind. Visit the first prelim final tonight SCG Port, Adelaide and the Swans. We understand the Adelaide airport was Hayden Nelson told us early you need earbuds in because it's Port fans singing and celebrating on the road to what they hope is prelim final glory. Tonight. You can listen to the call on five Double A or watch it on seven Years with the coverage anchored by the greatest to ever do it. Our next guest, Bruce mcavani.
Speaker 2: Bruce, good morning to.
Speaker 3: You, Good morning Will and you too, David. A very exciting night.
Speaker 2: A certainly is, and particularly here in Adelaide. Bruce. It's you know, after that Geelong game, a lot of people were riding Port off, but there was tenacious win last week. How do you see it playing out tonight.
Speaker 3: It's hard to pick, David, isn't it Because if you can forgive Port that one match against Gelong, their form has been so strong in the back half of the year and they've got this crazy record against Sydney where they haven't lost them for for eight seasons, so Sydney have been the top team all years, but they also had a very bad patch and it was in a Round twenty one that Port ham of them. So look the obvious the Swans, They've had the week off, they're playing at home, but I'm thinking very close. So Port have to bring that pressure. They have to start well and if they do that then I think it's a fifty to fifty match.
Speaker 1: Do you recall too many years, Bruce, like this one where for much of the year and you Si mentioned Sydney had been the form side early but for much of the second half of the year, you could have named any one of a half dozen sides that would win the premiership and people would believe you could make a credible case. It's been incredibly even.
Speaker 3: I agree Will. I can't remember a season so unpredictable. I can't remember a season where you haven't been able to trust clubs like there's no club even in the top four that you've been able to trust all year. Now. I know Brisbane have had a good back half, they had an awful start. Geelonga had some woeful performances at times. They had the big losing run after winning their first seven. The Swans were talked about and Port have had some horrible moment and that early match against the Crows where it's semed all us. So you haven't been able to trust or dismiss anyone this season. So it's been weird, wonderful, and I agree with you, it's been so unpredictable. And that's why I'm thinking in these two. I mean, the obvious things that will happen this weekend is a Geelong and Sydney women playing the Grand Final. But there's been nothing obvious about this season, so why should there be right here and now? So I think both these matches are probably fifty to fifty matches.
Speaker 2: So Brice, you you sort of retired from commentary in what twenty twenty one was about three years ago, but it's so good that you're going to be back as part of the coverage, sort of hosting the preliums and the Granny as well. You've just had the thing I reckon people love about you, mate, is just You're just Oo's love for the national game. Has it been hard to fully sabotize with it?
Speaker 3: It has, David. The last time I actually worked was in twenty twenty. It was the grand final of a game. Be so it's a long long time, nearly four years ago. It has. It's been. It's very different watching and not working. You know, I'll do last a game. I crew up with a game, right you guys, did you know living in Adelaide, You've got it, don't you. It's part and parcel. But yeah, no, it's it was. It's been hard to see with the side. It's a weird thing. If you'd asked me months ago that I'd be in Sydney tonight involved in this telecast, I would have said, no, I'm not happy. This has come out of the blue. It's circumstantial in many ways. I'm not sure what this means for going forward, in terms of I'm seventy one years of page God blind me. I don't think I wouldn't be a high draft pick for anyone. But that said, that said, I'm hoping that it's been a good year for small forwards that I can get a kick over the next two weeks.
Speaker 1: Maybe not a draft pick. Bro's you're the one that you've paid clubs bringing to, you know, put you over the top and win the premiership this season. Experience in class. So speaking of that, I mean you still do forul job covering the horse racing and working for seven as part of that, is there a particular rich that calling footy though, is impossible to scratch with calling and talking about anything else or can you sort of satiate that in other ways?
Speaker 3: Look, it's about as good as a guests. Well, I mean, they're all different, you know. I've always said that one hundred meter final the Olympics, it was probably about as good as a guest. But with footy, there's nothing quite a scud. As you like calling football, you work with a team, as you guys do every morning with one another. You work as a team, and I love that relationship. And you know, it's not a going to walk in there and catch up with some people that I haven't worked with for a long long time. So that part of it I just absolutely adore. I love the game and I love what it does for me personally when I'm calling now. I'm not calling obviously over the next few weeks, but I think the first five minutes of a Grand final and then hopefully the last five minutes. Sometimes it does and something about as you know, as wonderful as a guess a broadcaster. It's a wonderful game to call. It's so flowing and brilliant and a lot of rid of about it. But I've missed it. I've missed it a lot. I don't think I'll ever go back to calling it. Who knows, but you know I have missus. Has been hard to say for those tires, but look, this is a bit of a gift for me to be involved in these two weeks at the really pointy end of the season. In the season has been like very few others.
Speaker 2: You should have got your old mate Dennis Comedy back as well. Bruce put the toe.
Speaker 3: I've reached out with him this week and he said, I don't feel like getting on the plane.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, jes we all have and there was so many lovely messages coming through Bruce and our text line at the moment because you've provided so many great memories for people over the journey. I hate to do this because it's just the most predictable thing, but I think everyone's interested. You've mentioned you expect Sidney probably tonight, orbit it wouldn't be surprised either way. What would you WA's your grand final tip? And who do you think wins.
Speaker 3: It and Sitney in Geelong after I'm going the obvious and then the Cats so and I wouldn't have said that two weeks ago. I thought the footage along played against Port two weeks ago is the best after theme this year. And if they can reproduce that, I think timing might be just right for them for Chris Scott to get a third flag. But honestly, it's a flip of the coin. Flip of the coin.
Speaker 1: Certainly is well. We've delighted you're part of the coverage, bros. And everyone's going to be tuning in tonight in Adelaide, that's for sure. Thank you so much for joining us this morning on five Double Breakfast.
Speaker 2: Get on your broce.
Speaker 3: It's a pleasure boy, it's all the best.
Speaker 1: Frust Makovny be hosting Channel seven's AFL coverage. It starts six point fifty tonight immediately after the separate the six oct News on Channel seven. You'll see the teams run out, you hear the song all the build up, and then the first bounce is at seven ten tonight. David Penberthy and Will Goodings six to line five Double A Breakfast