Speaker 1: Good a team.
Speaker 2: This is part two of the conversation we started yesterday with Sabrina, hope you're enjoying it. I won't get in the way of what is to come enjoy.
Speaker 1: See you at the end. Does that mean Sabrina your honor doctor? Does that mean that?
Speaker 2: Like my thinking is generally like when I would like, I've worked with first responders over here, with Victoria police and with the military a little bit, and with lots of elite athletes.
Speaker 1: And we just did a big study out.
Speaker 2: Of Monash where I study which I had my first academic paper published, which is hilarious, which is hilarious. Hang on because there's like fifty authors, so I really don't deserve any credit.
Speaker 1: Whatsoever, but my name is on it.
Speaker 2: What I wanted to say was generally speaking, we train a soldiers and police, especially special operators like in Victoria they call it Special Operations Group, they call them soggies, and you know the elite soldiers where they do a lot of like intense high level, high pressure, uncomfortable like they just get put through the grind. It's it's as it's as as realistic as it can be without it being real.
Speaker 3: Is there a.
Speaker 2: Similar approach to train firefighters to be able to deal with that, because you can't perform under pressure if you're never under pressure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally agree. I totally agree. And if you are just going through the motions. I mean, there's an element where you can do that for skills development, right where you're learning a skill and you're doing it slow time and then you get better at it. But unless you're actually testing that skill under pressure, actually, how do you know that you're going to be able to use it when you need to use it, because by the way, that time is going to be under intense pressure, both in terms of the pressure of the environment, the moral pressure that you're under from people who are watching on the people that you might be trying to rescue, and experiencing someone else. You know, when someone else is in pain or someone else has just experienced the death of someone that they love literally next to them in a car or in a house that you've managed to rescue one from, and someone else, there is nothing that prepares you for the emotion that you hear in that person's There is nothing that prepares you for that. But you have to carry on. You have to be able to do what you need to do. And I'm particularly interested in non technical skills. In the UK, we term them command skills, so your ability to make decisions, your situational awareness, your communication skills, your leadership skills, your ability to work as a part of a team. You know, all of these things are skills. They're not you know, they're not. They're not some kind of higher gift that you get that you know you're kind of born with. You're either a great decision maker or you're not. You've got to work at it, and working at it means doing it in the kind of environment that you're readily going to expect to use it in, and in our world, that means that it's going to be emotionally charged, dynamically changing, with little or incomplete information, sometimes inaccurate information, and it's really tough. And it's a bit like swimming. If you wanted to swim the length of the channel or swim in the sea, but you only ever trained in an Olympic sized swimming pool. You know what, you might be the fastest, the best, you might have the greatest endurance in a pool, but as soon as you get out in the sea, even though it's the same skill, the context is so different. The application changes and so you're not going to be able to do it in the same way. And those kind of non technical skills, the development of those are similar. So whatever technical skill you might be doing under pressure, it is determined by your non technical skills. Your ability to make a judgment on when that needs to applied or how that needs to be applied, Your ability to communicate your intentions, your ability to absorb the information from around you that you need to create, your situational awareness, your mental picture, that which is the basis of every single decision and every single judgment that you make. That is tough, and if you want to do that under pressure, we need to recognize that stress affects the processing capacity that you have available. It reduces it, so you have less processing capacity available to absorb that information. You have less processing capacity available to make a decision, You have less processing capacity available to think about the message that you're trying to communicate and whether or not that meaning has landed in the way that you intended it to land. These are all really important factors for the success of the overarching incident because it's complex. So if you want those to work effectively, you have to train them under pressure. Is no good just doing it in slow time. You have to train under pressure, and so making people feel uncomfortable by putting if you're doing a command atercise, for example, by throwing lots of injects in so you don't have time to think about something. You don't have the luxury of being able to hold lots of things together in your mind at one point. It creates that sense of pressure where you then have to prioritize your activity. And actually, even if in real time the situation might not be like that, for you know, the full duration of the hour that your command exercise is actually you're compressing it, and so what you get is like really deep practice. If you've heard the term deep practice, it's what you're kind of synthesizing, and it's about feeling uncomfortable. It's about doing things wrong and then repeating them in a different way so that you can do it better next time. But creating that sense of pressure in whatever way you can do it is super important. I'm a really big fan of realistic exercises. I know they're super expensive to do. I know it's hard, especially when you get places like I mean, in the UK, we have the Casualties Union, who are an amazing group of people, many of whom are amputees who've been through traumatic incidents themselves, who will come in and role play that they have incredible makeup on to simulate, to simulate traumatic injuries, and they respond in a way that is really realistic. And these people are incredible because bear in mind they've had their own traumas to come in and to be able to do that those experiences to help develop the people that they know other people will rely on in the future to go and rescue them from similar circumstances is a level of courage that to me is absolutely god worthy. It is awesome. But that kind of realistic opportunity is worth waiting gold, absolutely worth its weight in gold. But whatever you're doing when you're training, don't just go through the motions, don't just go to get through the end of the exercise. Make it count. You can never train too hard for a job where you know people die.
Speaker 2: I love that, and it's so like I always you know, I use this analogy of white belt to black belt, and I say, you know, the way that you become a black belt in any martial art is you start as a white belt, you get punched in the face, you get kicked in the deck, you get choked.
Speaker 1: You know, this is what happens.
Speaker 2: You know, you get beaten up, and then eventually you're a yellow, then eventually a green, and a brown, and a purple and a blue, and then whatever the system is, you know, and then one day you wake up. You're the same person with the same potential and the same genetics, but now you've got new skills, new awareness, new resilience, new understanding, new insight, same human but not really. And now you've got that you can perform under a level of pressure that you couldn't even think about when you're a white belt, because you didn't know what you were doing. You couldn't be calm, you didn't know how to self regulate. And now five six, seven, eight, ten years down the track, you've got this high level of ability and skill to be able to do this thing that most people can't. And it's because you did the work, and it's because you weren't fucking around. It's because you had five dislocated elbows and these, it's because you've got a thousand black eyes, it's because you've got choked fifty times. It's like that's you can't get good at the thing that you're not doing. You can't master the.
Speaker 1: Thing that you avoid.
Speaker 3: And you can read about it and hear about it and watch fucking videos on it and listen to lectures about it, but unless you're actually doing it, like unless you're actually at the coal face, rolling up your sleeves and doing the shit or a version of it, then when the storm cometh, Brothers and Sisters, you capitulate. You know, We've had lots of people and speaking to that, just as an example, we've had people on the show and I can't say who, but it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I can't say who.
Speaker 2: But even something like this where people can obviously, you know, they've got their expertise like you, they've got skill, knowledge, you know, all of that. They can communicate and sometimes they've written a book and you know, some whatever. But then you put them on either I used to work in radio as well, and so you put them in a radio interview or on an interview with this where you say, you know, you give them a backstory of you know, how many people listen and what we do, and and all of a sudden and we're live. That person goes from being interesting and funny and articulate too. Yes, no, no, yeah, I'm like, fucking hell, somebody just removed his personality in the last thirteen seconds. And it's just it's terrible because to them, there's when you say, I used to say to people, there's only twenty thousand people, don't you know listening, don't worry, And I would say that to fuck around. I don't say it anymore, or how I can say it to you because you do this all the time. But like and then people, especially if you're thinking of a stadium of humans or something, but something that they do all the time, which is talk and share and educate, now you're doing it in a different context and they can't string three words together because there's a level, a self created level of pressure. Yeah, and maybe I influenced that a little bit.
Speaker 4: It's true though, And it's you know, it's really similar when you think about things like, you know, even a job interview or a presentation. How many times when you've got a big presentation, have you kind of practiced that in front of a plant pot or in front of the dog. Well, guess what, the dog's never going to troll you on Twitter.
Speaker 5: It's a safe environment. You know, You've got to do it in front of people that make you feel uncomfortable, because when you step in to do that presentation or that job interview, you're going to.
Speaker 4: Be running on adrenaline. You're going to feel anxious, you're going to feel uncomfortable. So you need to know that you can do it despite that feeling. You need to know that you've practiced it in that kind of envirovement. You need to know the places that your head is going to go blank, where you're going to stumble, so then you can go and focus on those bits and make sure you know it better. You know that for me, it's a gift. It's an absolute gift to have an opportunity to practice something before you go in and before you do it, and to develop those skills. And if it means, you know, you feel uncomfortable, it means you mess something up, or it means you feel a bit silly, well, you know what, that's a really small price to pay for all of the good stuff that could come out of you being successful at this, you know, and in my world that means people walk away, they get to go back to their families. At the end of the day, there's not this great, big void left by someone that's no longer walking this planet. What a gift, What a gift.
Speaker 2: A couple of years ago, and I know you've got to go. We'll talk about your book in a moment. But a couple of years ago, Sabrina.
Speaker 1: That's actually it was it three years ago, the Crab?
Speaker 2: Yeah, three yeah, So I was you know, I think I told you before when it went live. I've been training my whole life. I owned gyms all that, so go to the gym every day and just left. Shit, I'm not very good anymore. I'm old, I'm a bit fucked. But anyway, I still go down, you know, sit on a dumbbell. But anyway, The Crab my training partner, Mark, who I lovingly call the Crab because he moves like a crab. He's like a large crustacean with biceps. But anyway, so we were training and he did a set of chin ups, held his breath the whole time. Sabrina did thirty chin ups, not an exaggeration. X pro body built, a very strong, very big all of that. Did thirty chins, came down and went to his hands and knees, and I thought he was having a seizure, and he had a cardiac arrest and died in the gym, on the gym floor. So he came back to life, I need say quickly, but he was dead for seventeen minutes. And and talk about you know, people under pressure, I would say there was. There's probably twenty people in the gym, but in him because there's there's levels to the gym. But within a couple of minutes there were thirty or forty people in the gym. And so i'd you know, his big unit is one hundred kilos, which I don't know what that is in stone, seventeen stone maybe, So I, you know, I got him on his back, I got him into a position where I could work on him, and I did that like as soon as I realized what had happened, which was quite quickly. So I started working on him by myself. Now thirty people were standing on the other side of the gym, not one thing like looking terrified. Not one person went what can I do? Ye, not one person said can I help? And so I just looked up and said I need somebody, And they all stood there like nobody came, and so here's here's my friend on the floor. I'm doing the compressions and the breaths. I'm so I'm alternating, and I'm you know, I'm busy.
Speaker 1: I got shipped on and.
Speaker 2: I look up and nobody moved forward. Nobody came. They all just stood there looking terrified. And then this one bloke kind of looked semi like like he was thinking about it. And I said, what's your name? And he said his name? And I said, let's just go Steve, and I said, Steven, get the fuck over here. He's like, I don't know what to do. I go get the fuck over here. I'll tell you what to do, right and that that but that a maze. Well that was messy, and that was you know, like a daunting scenario, of course, but.
Speaker 1: I was upon reflection later, I was amazed at how.
Speaker 2: I don't know if nobody knew what to do, but nobody, nobody came forward. Like I literally had to swear at someone to get someone to help me. And that's, you know, because who's standing next to someone when they die. Very few people, you know, not in not where we live anyway, you know.
Speaker 1: And then so you're right, people just don't know what to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and normally comfortable, competent, you know, pretty adaptable, flexible people fucking freeze in certain circumstances. Do you know.
Speaker 4: Well, firstly, I'm really sorry that you had that experience, but also you are incredible because you have literally saved Mark's life there in that in that scenario. So he's alive because of the intervention that you made, and that's that's pretty incredible and definitely something worth recognizing. But it's it's funny how other people respond in a situation where they feel deeply uncomfortable. There's been some really interesting research that's looked at how when in an emergency situation, if there's somebody that's already intervening, other people will stand by, will be less likely to come forward and help because they think it's dealt with. And it's really challenging because in that kind of circumstance, actually you need all the hands that you can get, right, You need that help and you need that support, and some of it comes from a lack of confidence, I think. And it's interesting, you know, because we almost had kind of the opposite problem in the fire service. So there was one of the things that we introduced when we were doing all of the research and the policy changes on the back of the research was some work around something that we term operational discretion, and that's the flexibility to recognize when a policy doesn't apply that you will actually do what you think needs to be done, used your professional judgment to do whatever you need to do in that circumstance. And there were some incidents, some really high profile incidents that we had in the UK where people had died because people were One of the contributing factors part of me. One of the contributing factors was that everybody was so focused on sticking to the policy that the policy wouldn't have worked for that situation. Sticking to the policy actually made the outcome worse. There was one called there was one in Gosden Mine where a mine shaft had collapsed and a lady had fallen down the mine shaft and was trapped down there for a considerable amount of time, and one of the incident commanders, the fire commanders, wanted to adapt some equipment to be able to get them out, and another disagreed because it was outside of policy and stopped it all and insisted on waiting for the mine rescue, and the woman ended up being trapped down there for so long that one of the contributing factors to her death was hypothermia. Now it would be wrong to say it was solely because of the the delay caused by that or sticking rigidly to the policy, but what was talked about by the judge afterwards when they were looking at her death is that that was one of the inflexibility was one of the contributing factors. So it's funny because if you were not in a uniform, you'd grab whatever you could grab and you would do what you could to try to make it work right. But as soon as you put up that uniform, you have that different responsibility, that different level of accountability, and the judgments I think, and you know, the judgment that you would have after an event once you're wearing that uniform and representing one of the services is far greater than a member of the public would have if they were just trying to do their best to help out. Of the things that we introduced was this concept of operational discretion, where if you recognize that adhering strictly to the policy either is going to make it worse because that happens sometimes, or the policy it's such a novel situation that the policy does apply, then it gives that kind of flexibility to choose what to do in that circumstance. And we did some research on this, and we were looking at the impact of stress and uncertainty on decision making when applying operational discretion. That was our kind of driver for it, and we gave fire commanders two scenarios. One was really straightforward runn of the mail. It was a high rise fire where they knew what to do, they knew what to expect them, was a super superclear policy, no need to deviate. And the other one was similar to this. It was a mind shaft. It had collapsed a sinkhole, sorry, it had collapsed, and there was a group of children stuck at the bottom and it was outside of the reach of their normal equipment. So you would have to use operational discretion. And we took measures of stress as well, and rather than just relying on self report, because you could ask a firefighter with a mushroom cloud behind them how they are and they'd be like, yeah, everything's fine, I got this under control. Even if the heart beating tens of the dozerts. So we took blood samples so that we could measure it was actually a leukocyte response rather than a single measure of quarters are. We were looking more holistically at a range of measures, because when you experience stress, your cells respond differently, and so we looked at at the leukocyte response to give us a better measure. And what we found is the more uncertain the situation, the higher the stress levels. Not surprising there, but the more uncertain the situation and the higher the stress levels, the more certain people were to reach for a set of rules even when they didn't apply. And so this was a really interesting one because we all do this sometimes when we're making a decision under uncertainty or we're not quite sure what to do and it's pressured, and we'll reach for something that might feel familiar because it gives us that sense of security, but it might not actually be the right thing for that set of circumstances. So my advice to people, whether they're in the fire service or not, is if you are making a decision or under the decision under those circumstances and you find yourself reaching for something that makes you feel better, or something that gives you that sense of comfort or something that's familiar to you. Just pause and just double check your assumptions to make sure that it's actually delivering the outcome that you're hoping it's going to deliver.
Speaker 2: That makes so much sense, And I can understand why people do that, because they're protecting themselves because if this turns out bad, it's not my fault.
Speaker 1: It's the rules.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 2: And if I kind of be the rebel and it turns out bad, it's my fault, whereas it might have been bad anyway.
Speaker 4: You know, it's such a litigious society now as well, and you know, you see the way that incidents where people we're not automatons in a uniform. We're human beings. You know, we're real people at the end of the day. And when you see the way that people are judged after an event who might have got it wrong, but they've gone in genuinely wanting to do their best, you know, it could be really difficult then for someone to find the courage to take a leap to do the thing that they think needs to be done without that security of a set of rules to wrap around them. Get it.
Speaker 2: Now. I know you don't have any spare time because you're an author and you're a mum and you're a dog mum, and you're a wife, and you're a bloody superstar at fifty things, and you're a researcher and you're a fire fighter and you've got a thousand test subjects whenever you want them. But you definitely should have your own podcast.
Speaker 1: Ah, you'd be so good.
Speaker 2: Like you're such a brilliant communicator and storyteller, and you you're such a good science communicator too, because you explain complicated stuff in an uncomplicated way or what can be complicated stuff.
Speaker 1: Because we're a largely.
Speaker 2: Non academic you know, we've got a percentage of academics that listen, but you know it's not an academic show per se. And so my constant, or my not every episode, but a lot of episodes, I'm trying to figure out, how do we say this, and how do we navigate this conversation and make it you know, interesting, but also really relevant and unders stable so people can do something with it. And you just do that automatically. It's a real gift and a real skill. So well done.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Tell me about before we go, tell me about the book. So your book is called The Heat of the Moment. Yeah, that's right to tell us about that, did you?
Speaker 1: Is that your one and only book?
Speaker 4: I've got another one coming out in March. But the Heat of the Moment I wanted to take something that would talk about the way that we make decisions under pressure, because it doesn't matter what the circumstances are, you know, our brains are going to work in a similar way. So I took everything that we'd learned from more than twenty years of firefighting and more than a decade of research about how we make decisions in the heat of the moment, when we're experiencing pressure, and I wanted to talk about it in a way that could be then applied to everyday life. So each chapter talks about a specific aspect of decision making with it gut decision making, whether it's you know, the way that you develop your situational awareness, whether it's the way that you communicate all of these concepts. And it opens with an incident that I've been to and so that you can see that part of that aspect of how your brain is working actually kind of at a real life incident in reality, and then I unpick the research that's relevant to it, and then I kind of talk about how it applies to everyday life as well. So, yeah, that was a real That was a real labor of love to write. It was a real joy. Actually, it's just nice to be able to share what we've done with the broad or audience because I think, you know, there are some really important lessons that we've learned in the fire service, and they've been learned through a lot of pain, as I described earlier on. And so isn't it great that you can share that with as many people as possible and not just limit it to those that were the same color perform as.
Speaker 2: You do you think that being able to self rid in the middle of the mayhem and you know, make decisions and stay relatively calm. Do you think that we spoke about it a little bit before, but do you think that is more innate? Like I feel like there are people that are just better than that. And also my part B of that question is are people more anxious now than.
Speaker 1: Thirty years ago? Or we just more aware of anxiety?
Speaker 4: Sabrina, Really good question. I think that it's I think that it's a mixture of nature and nurture every every single time. And I think that it can be developed as well of what you expose yourself to and how you respond to that exposure and how willing you are to put yourself in those uncomfortable situations like we talked about. And the anxiety question is a really good one. I think that I don't think people are more anxious than they are today than they were before. I think they just weren't allowed to show it before because of the societal pressures that people were experiencing. I think the world was super different, wasn't it. So I think there's that element. I mean, there are things that make us feel anxious today that weren't around before. Exposure or social media, I think is a key one. I mean, I can have firefighters at a job and the job will be uploaded onto YouTube by someone with their camera phone before they've even packed up and left the scene. You know, so previously it would never be like that. You never had to kind of worry about those kind of things. So I think my point is if someone does make a mistake, it's usually recorded and there forever and You've seen the way that people respond publicly to people who've made mistakes, and it's kind of huge debate, isn't there around cancel culture and things like that? So I think there is. I think whilst judgments would have been the same across the ages, I think that they are a lot more public now than they perhaps were previously. So it's really difficult, isn't it to compare times to say whether people were more anxious thirty years ago or whether they're more anxious today, because I think the context is so different that it's really tricky to kind of weigh everything up and go one or the other. But I certainly think that there are things today that can make you feel anxious that you didn't have thirty years ago. I think we have the luxury today of being able to be really open about being anxious, which means you can deal with it better than you might have been able to do thirty years ago. So there's definitely a silver lining there.
Speaker 2: All Right, We've got to go, because I feel like I'm dragging you you on, but I'm so interested in your stuff. I want to ask you two quick questions and I'm promise we'll go. So Number one is, so you're all about excellence, high performance, performing under pressure, you know, being the best you can be. And are there any other fire serve around the world that you look at in any country or it might just anywhere in the world where you go, they're.
Speaker 1: The best, They are amazing for these reasons.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think that's a great question. And I think there are different fire services that are really excellent at different things. And sometimes you have the persona of the biggest and the best, and you hear about, you know, the great ones around the world and things I won't mention any names, but when you actually scratch the surface, they don't always turn out to be as shiny as you might have thought they were outside. So I think there's real value if you are looking for the best, in looking really specifically at what you want to see the best of and not stopping until you've turned over for all the stones that you can to find it, because the places that you might find it might just surprise you.
Speaker 2: And do you do you ever look across the pond with any curiosity on our Australian summers with the bloody bushfires that we we seem to be having more and more of that have been devastating in the last few years Oiver here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they have been utterly devastating, and your first responders I have a huge amount of admiration for the way that they've tackled them, because those kind of incidents are relentless. They're not the kind of incidence that you go to and a couple of hours later you're back at the station and its job and not you know, it's all finished. Is day after day, week after week with those kind of incidents, and they are exhausting. So your first responders, I have to say, I think are exemplary in the way that they have They've dealt with that and shown incredible resilience and courage in the face of doing so, as have been your communities actually who I've seen a huge amount of resilience from having gone through those incidents and they are utterly devastating. And one of the things that we are thinking about more and more now as fire services is the impact of climate change on weather related incidents. You know, we've been having some awful wildfires here in the UK, not like not to the extent that you do in Australia, because our demography is very different, you know, we don't have the same kind of forested areas that you do there and the expanse that you do there, but they have been devastating for the wildlife that we do have here, and they're happening more and more regularly. Same with flooding. So actually thinking about what we can do to prevent those happening in the first place, to really get ahead of that is something that's super important to us, and we're doing a lot of work at the moment in my own fire department looking at how we can kind of improve the work that we do in rural communities to stop those kind of incidents happening in the first place.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Perfect, well, Sabrina, you're fascinating, you're Grey communicator. We appreciate you having a chat with us on the You project. Thank you, and I want you to come back when your new books out so we can talk about that and stell lots of books for you.
Speaker 4: Is that all right, my pleasure? It would be great, And it's been an absolute joy to speak to you today, So thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Absolute pleasure, Melissa, do you like Sabrina.
Speaker 4: Oh, of course, thank you so much for spending all this time with us.
Speaker 3: What a privilege to listen to your story.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I've just been sitting here and all, so thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Are you crushing hard just a little bit?
Speaker 2: And I can tell. I can tell because you get that goofy. I love her look on your face. Hey, Sabrina, stay there. We'll say goodbye off air, but thank you so much, and thanks everyone.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you.