Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure I haven't told this story on the podcast because that was really embarrassed Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: You haven't told me? What is that embarrassing?
Speaker 1: Like my eyes? Where's Your Head At? Is a podcast that talks full things. Right, Hold on a sec, let's give this a refresh. Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Anna and I'm Matt, and we are now too newlywed not to each other. Just a female and male best friend here for the good, the bad, and the ugly times.
Speaker 1: And exploring adulthood, family relationships, dilemmas.
Speaker 2: And whatever else we have the mental capacity to deal with.
Speaker 1: Come get the lowdown.
Speaker 2: This is your male and female perspective.
Speaker 1: So, Matt, where's your head at? Good morning?
Speaker 2: Good morning Anna? Thank you for buying me a coffee? Come in? What great service?
Speaker 1: You are more than of my and I got extra hots and you were I knew you were running a lake.
Speaker 2: I was a little bit of traffic coming in. I actually speaking abut coffees and buying me one. Do you remember the other day at Gold Coast Airport when we waited for your flight?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Did you know that that coffee, a medium arm in laste, costed me eight dollars? Costed you eight dollars for a coffee.
Speaker 1: I just nothing surprises me anymore, Like I go to Wooli's or Coals for a very small shop. Like I tried to get one dinner and it cost me like sixty dollars. I should have just got Ubery's.
Speaker 2: Well, that happened to me the other day as well. But I was actually the girl when she said, she's like, i'd be eight dollars. I was like, you know, I'm just getting the one and she said yeah, and she said eight dollars instead of eight dollars. I doubled down on it, and I was like, I literally was shook. I don't know if you watched this from the table, but I was like, what And you didn't.
Speaker 1: Actually tell me about it At the time, I was sturzingly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was that sure. I didn't want to go and.
Speaker 1: Rik into next century? Do you know? Okay? When we were in Turkey, I think it was what's the capital of Turkey, ea, Istanbul, Istanbul. We were at Istanbul Airport. There's a lot going on there. I think the hair transplants. All of the guys with their hair transplants was one thing. Yeah, right, very it was so normal, Like every guy, every second guy that I saw, had the hair trains.
Speaker 2: My best mate says that he goes when he was there, literally every second.
Speaker 1: Person, every second guy is like and even yeah, even some women. And anyway, that was like one thing. And then when I got over that, Michael went to get us coffees and it was going to cost forty six Australian dollars for two coffees.
Speaker 2: So what's that in euros? I'd be like twenty something.
Speaker 1: Barks, I don't know, but Michael actually like so he placed the order and then he's like, nah, no, I can't do that, No I can't. It's not even like it's just the principle. It's a principle of all of the things that you could buy for forty six dollars that is worth your while. And you're not going to spend on two coffees even drink in five minutes.
Speaker 2: Probably three coffees here at go Coast Airport.
Speaker 1: Well there you go, you get an extra coffee. Do you notice anything different about me today?
Speaker 2: You're pregnant.
Speaker 1: I have been pregnant, but seven and a half months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is your hair different?
Speaker 1: I love doing this with men it's hilarious.
Speaker 2: They're like eyebrows lips because I.
Speaker 1: Think about like my face. It's about something I'm wearing that's new.
Speaker 2: The necklace.
Speaker 1: The necklace, Yeah right, and do you know what the necklace says on it?
Speaker 2: I can't read it from here.
Speaker 1: So the necklace has an S on it, and the S is a clue to our chosen baby boy name.
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So do we already know this on the podcast? Okay, all right, I knew this, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Now wearing the necklace, I'm like very excited.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I don't know what everyone else knows or what I know, but that is an S.
Speaker 1: I feel like we pretty much share everything, but then like occasionally we're like, let's keep this, keep this, yeah for a little bit. So, yeah, the baby's name starts with an S. That's the clue.
Speaker 2: Do you want to tell us or no?
Speaker 1: No, that it's it's a clue.
Speaker 2: So can I guess?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: If I guess it?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Will you tell us?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you if you guess it. But I'm not going to obviously say the name.
Speaker 3: S.
Speaker 1: I don't even think of one.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me, I've googled some names here.
Speaker 1: I googled you couldn't think of them.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think it's going to be your stereotypical one.
Speaker 1: Tell me what you think it's like the style of name.
Speaker 2: It it's going to have to be like you know what out there, not out there, but like you know, it's gonna have to be like a name, like you know, it's not going to be Samuel or Sebastian or something like that. How do you know, because I just I know you it's not gonna be something like that.
Speaker 1: You never know?
Speaker 2: Is it like button?
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna go. I'm not gonna say no, but you can say like a few and then I can.
Speaker 2: So can grow a little soul patch on his chin?
Speaker 1: Is that a thing? What's a soul patch?
Speaker 2: It's like a little ghosty on your chin. Actually, saber, that's what it means. Intense, not seth too basic, Skuyla Santo, Santino, Santini, Santino Santino.
Speaker 1: It's definitely not Santinio Spencer. Okay, I'm gonna stop you there. You've given a few guesses people, can I have done a post on this and people are going to guess on my post obviously if the name is in that post. I'm gonna say it's somewhere in there, and if it's not, I'm just not going to say anything. So yeah, okay, So something funny happen with me during Valentine's Day. I'm pretty sure I haven't told this story on the podcast because I was really embarrassed.
Speaker 2: Valentine's Day and you haven't told me? What is that embarrassing?
Speaker 1: Like my eyes are I can't go. So we've spoken, We've done like a Valentine's Day like crying, is you okay? So we've spoken about Valentine's Day, both of us, and we kind of like recapped on our Valentine's Day. But what I didn't actually tell the podcast was I forgot to get Sexy Lingerie on Valentine's Day. And I have bought Sexy laingdere in the past, so I have like a box of it. So I just kind of like went through it and just like picked one. It was like a red lacy kind of body suite, and like you would have been, I was like six months pregnant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it didn't.
Speaker 1: So I basically didn't try it on because I was in such a rush, like we were packing. We had a business meeting for Goldie b before.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, and you went away, didn't you.
Speaker 1: We went away so literally just like shoved like stuff into a small carry on bag and anyway, then we were kind of like you know, in the hotel room, and I was like, I'm going to put on my little red number, so you.
Speaker 2: Wann Do you warn Michael before or do you?
Speaker 1: I think I did tell him, like I was like, oh, I'm going to put on like my little Valentine's Day right, and like you think, like a lacey red bodysuit, like you're going to be like looking sexy right.
Speaker 2: As a man when you have to wait, when you're waiting for that bit for your miss her to do that.
Speaker 1: Like what's going through your mind?
Speaker 2: Like how do you sit? How do you wa You don't want to be like on your phone when they walk out, so you sort of got to like, you know, time it. Well, you're trying to listen to see if they're coming out.
Speaker 1: What's the reaction.
Speaker 2: What's the reaction?
Speaker 1: Are you like, oh my god, yeah, or.
Speaker 2: Do you just just normally I'm just going to genuinely like react. I going to overdo it.
Speaker 1: So I put on this red one piece. I look in the mirror literally started pissing myself upfing It was so bad, Like I wish I took a photo and I wish I could post it on the Facebook group just so everyone can see how bad this looked. I literally I looked like we need the pooh, you know. Yeah, so or like Patrick from SpongeBob because.
Speaker 2: It was like a middrift. So was it meant to cover your whole stomach?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's where I went wrong, Yeah, right, like I should have had just a bra, and yeah, a bra and.
Speaker 2: The bra probably wouldn't fit you though, well.
Speaker 1: Like I could have got like a probably I should.
Speaker 2: Have bought the well yeah no, or.
Speaker 1: Like something that just wasn't gonna be like tight on the tummy, like it wasn't even because it was so tight as well, it didn't like like go around the bump. It went from the bump like straight down like there was just like no definition. It just looked.
Speaker 2: Did you commit to it and wear it out?
Speaker 1: I wore it out and I tried to shape it around my tummy with my hands, but I just couldn't stop laughing, Like even now, like it just makes me laugh so much because I've never looked in the mirror and like have just put on lingerie and like lingerie, I feel like is empowering. And you're like, I'm going to be sexy, and I just looked not sexy. Just I wasn't sexy. I was funny. What was funny to look?
Speaker 2: What did Michael say like he's so cute?
Speaker 1: He tried to like there was nothing that he could have said that mate would have made me feel like it wasn't I didn't look funny because I did look funny.
Speaker 2: But anyway, and then did you commit to it and wear it the whole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it came off like pretty quickly after.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you didn't keep it on time.
Speaker 1: I don't want to look like Winny the po anymore. I just look like this pregnant chick.
Speaker 2: Well, anyway, Anna, I saw you've started your nursery. You're getting rid of the makeup room.
Speaker 1: I know it's actually a really it's been a sad day. I feel like I'm going through a breakup my makeup room. I've had it in this house, my last house, and I always I've always had a makeup desk.
Speaker 2: At least you go to make sacrifices for children this is like my first Obviously, being pregnant in some ways is a sacrifice because it's very hard.
Speaker 1: But I was really upset about getting rid of my makeup desk. I do have a smaller one that's going in the living room area, so it's not like I don't have one, but it's just not the same. But it was very exciting building and putting together some of the baby furniture. The chair is really comfy, so yeah, all is in progress.
Speaker 2: Did are you going to pay it? Like a playpen out for the kid? Like I'm thinking about your head jail. Yeah, like I'm thinking about it now. There's gonna be toys everywhere. It's gonna be wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. I think storage is an issue for everyone. Yeah, Like I feel like no matter how obviously, if you have a mansion, you're gonna have storage spots. But I just like everyone struggles with storage, and I feel like you just need to fully be clearing out like I've been clearing You're not a hoarder.
Speaker 2: I have to say, you're not a holder, so you'll be fine.
Speaker 1: I'm easy to get rid of things, but I just need to like take time to do it. Like I gave away four bags of clothes yesterday alone. And I've already cleared out my wardrobe, but this was just like my drawers. So yeah, I'm just like getting rid of everything. I'm cleansing the soul, the space, everything. But the thing is is that my stuff's going out, but the baby stuff coming in and stuff. I mean, I'm not gonna say yay or nay.
Speaker 2: But Sab went to school. You don't want to call them seb. I went to a school with ACEB. You don't want to call him seb.
Speaker 1: He was a bit don't you think it's so interesting just to go back slightly with names. It's like if you know someone, they can totally ruin an ame.
Speaker 2: Oh of course. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like I used to teach swimming, I think when I was like twenty three for a couple of years, and obviously I had classes full of kids, and names just remind me of specific kids, like some kids like very naughty kids.
Speaker 2: Which sorry, which what's their names? Oh?
Speaker 1: I remember there was this little girl called Laney and she was so cute. She was honestly like the sweetest little girl, and she would like bring me flowers and she was like, hi, miss Anna, bring me flower.
Speaker 2: To swim any naughty ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was like Romeo, but yeah no, So I think like names, really, if you know someone with a name, or if you don't necessarily get along with that personal like them or even they match, just have a really strong personality, you just immediately think of that person. So it's hard to like.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I did see something people like. I saw a couple of tikos, get them sent to me, and they say that every girl needs to go through dating her mate phase and they think they every match and all this stuff. Yeah really yeah, and they girls associate their name Matt with that sort of stuff. They just say, you've got to go through their Matt stage. I guess it must be heartbreak and turmoil.
Speaker 1: I mean I dated Matt.
Speaker 2: Yeah he did. My wife's dated too, Matts.
Speaker 1: True, she did.
Speaker 2: She didn't get out of her face, she went straight back into it. So I've got a We actually got sent a voicemail which is quite interesting because it's very on topic with something that's happened to me recently. So I decided we should play this one. It is about men changing their name to their wife's name, the last name when they get married.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, so.
Speaker 2: I went to a wedding, one of my best mate's wedding. I was the grooms in there, and he decided to take his wife's last name.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she didn't want to change her name. She was quite fond of it, and instead of I have a good last name, I don't want yeah, it's cool, Yeah, I don't want to say it. On the podcast, he said that he wanted to have the same last name as his kids and she wasn't wanting to take his last name. So he was like, I'm willing to change it, yeah, which I think is really cute. Can you do that?
Speaker 1: Beautiful?
Speaker 2: Personally, I think I was very and I was very vocally as I want traditional stuff with the wedding, and I was like, well, yeah, I would like tell me to take my last name.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But either way, like we never really had the conversation and me taking her last name, I guess if it was come up in conversation, maybe do you reckon, Michael would have taken yours.
Speaker 1: Well, it's so funny because I'm now Anna Staples. But I was like, I love the name Michael McAvoy. How fresh does that sound?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It does sound cool?
Speaker 1: Sounds cool.
Speaker 2: The conversation ever come up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we spoke about that, and he's like, yeah, it is cool, but I'm still going to keep Saples. I think Saples is a beautiful name. I think it's interesting. I think there's many factors as to why people might not change or want to change their name. Obviously, if you love your name, like my, I have a friend and her last name is Summers. What a cool last name.
Speaker 2: Oh No, I used to ice to wrestle with a guy and he was called CJ. Sommers the Summers and he was just not a good wrestler.
Speaker 1: But this is the name thing. Again, You're associating the people. And then another reason is that people want to keep the family name going.
Speaker 4: They're traditional, So like for instance, say maybe say for me if I, oh no, I have a brother, but for instance, if I didn't have a brother, I would then you know.
Speaker 1: If you're really wanting to keep Zukowski, yeah, easy.
Speaker 2: To keep the name going, Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: And then you can also see it from like a female perspective, if you're if you only have sisters and therefore you might want to keep that name going, and so you would ask your husband, hey.
Speaker 2: Can you change the name will you take my name?
Speaker 1: Should we listen to that voicemail before we continue any further.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, I'm just reaching out as I would love your thoughts on this topic. When my wife and I got married, I made the decision to take her last name. We've received lots of different opinions, some positive and some negative. I'm proud of the decision I made to take her name, and I have no regrets. But my question is, it's twenty twenty five. Why should it be an expectation for a woman to take a man's last name?
Speaker 2: True, that is true.
Speaker 1: I mean, like it's so outdated. Yeah, so outdated.
Speaker 2: I mean, isn't the whole premise of it, though, that the man then owned Like back in the day, it was more that the man's married to the woman. He owns a woman, and that's.
Speaker 1: Where it's like his family name, his family name is. Yeah, it's a very outdated tradition. And I think he's right, Like it is twenty twenty five, it should be a couple's decision. Yeah, it should be a mutual decision.
Speaker 2: I don't think it should get any backlash as well from anyone. I don't think anyone in your family should care, or anyone online should even care. I feel like it's you and your partner's decision. And like he's like he said, it's if my sister was to take her partner's last name, Like, no one says anything if a girl takes it, like, but then when a guy does it, essentially.
Speaker 1: It's because it's expected, like the female has always been expected to do it. So it's like, well, that's just the way it is. But I think some of this that's the way it is kind of stuff that goes on is starting to reverse and people are starting to actually think about why we do things as opposed to just doing it for the sake of doing it.
Speaker 2: Has the culture around guys just proposing to girls changed, Like is there any girls proposing to guys these days?
Speaker 1: Is that my friend's sister actually proposed to her partner?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think Look, if you have the conversation with your partner and say, hey, I might propose, and he's like, you know, up for it? Why not?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Right?
Speaker 4: Me.
Speaker 1: On the other hand, if my if like I wouldn't say to Michael, I'm going to propose because I wanted him to propose. I didn't want to buy the rock. Yeah.
Speaker 2: True, I mean, or you wouldn't have to get I mean, as a guy, you probably wouldn't want big Dwayne Johnson on your finger. Like true. True, that's interesting. I reckon if there's any girls out there that have proposed or they know someone that have post I'd like to hear that story.
Speaker 1: I would love to hear from you. Senders a voice. Note.
Speaker 2: Also, if you've your husband's taken your last name and there's any backlash, I'd like to hear that as well.
Speaker 1: How many men do you think keep their own last name when getting married? If you were to say a percentage, I.
Speaker 2: Think it would be pretty high. But it's twently twenty five, so it might be a bit lower than let's say seven tventy five sixty five, So.
Speaker 1: It's actually ninety two percent still so very very high, very high. Five percent changed their last name to their wife's name, so only five percent, so that's a very small number.
Speaker 2: That's niche.
Speaker 1: It's niche. It's very niche. And one percent hyphenated the two.
Speaker 2: Well, here's one for you. Actually, here's here's one. The premise of getting married is you're now starting a family with your wife.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you have a new family, you have a new.
Speaker 2: Family or your husband. So call me crazy, but is there a way you could not make a new name, but you could put blend, blend them together to make a new name.
Speaker 1: It's like your cuple name, like what was Wembrowski.
Speaker 2: Or stapher boy, staple boy, staple boy, you know, like you blend them together and that's the new family name.
Speaker 1: That is so funny.
Speaker 2: I think I'm onto something there.
Speaker 1: I think, look, I think we have us names and it's a great tradition because we can look back and somehow potentially trace our ancestors, whether that be through family trees you can do obviously. Now we have DNA testing that you can do and you can see and it's cool if you have the same last time testing. I actually bought it and I've never done it. It's in my cupboard. It's sitting there for so I.
Speaker 2: Did want ages ago. We impressed this not pressed sc when she was into it and she took a swab and it told you like how your fitness was or something or what health one more of a health one. But I saw a TikTok about a conspiracy that they're just storing all our DNA somewhere and they're going to clone you and they've got all our DNA.
Speaker 1: Oh god, this is not a conspiracy.
Speaker 2: No, but yeah, the last names.
Speaker 1: I like my last name like your last name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's cool. It's quite There's not many.
Speaker 1: There's not many.
Speaker 2: It's it's not very common, and it's just Mike Wazowski. Mike was I'm always watching you, was asking, well, I.
Speaker 1: Have a bit of a what would we call it dilemma, and that is that I have married Michael almost a year ago.
Speaker 2: You're already break Is that your dilemma?
Speaker 1: No, we married almost a ago. We're almost going to celebrate our that's gone quickly on our wedding anniversary, which is craziness. And obviously, when you get legally married, you can either be I can either be Ana McAvoy or Anna Staples legally, but all of my documents still to this day are Anna McAvoy. Yeah, because I just hate doing any sort of admin and I haven't gotten down to paying an extra three hundred and fifty dollars or however much a passport costs to change.
Speaker 2: It's five hundred or something.
Speaker 1: Isn't it is it.
Speaker 2: I got mine the other day, but I got it right.
Speaker 1: You got to express. Yeah, yeah, well I thought it was three hundred ish the last time. I.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, we just spoke about coffees and how expensive they are.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it's probably yeah, I d getting that changed. Annoying, hustle, hassle. I still have on my ID. I still have my eighteen year old photo with my brown hair. I look totally like, not the same person. Like now I'm totally different hair color, I look a lot older. But yeah, just doing all of these things.
Speaker 2: It's all the things you don't realize either. Like Tammy hasn't changed her last name on her Velocity Point, her frequent flyer, so she couldn't put it to her frequent fly when a brand border a flight the other day because they booked it under Tammy Zakowski. And it's still Tammy Hembro on her Virgin things. It's so annoying, so she couldn't put it to her name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Tammy is legally Tammy Hambrow. Still I'm legally at a maca voice.
Speaker 2: No, No, you're legally not. You've changed.
Speaker 1: I can be legally either, right, you can legally be either but none of our details.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'm not sure if she started that. She might started doing that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I haven't started it, started it at all. But now in two months time, I'm having.
Speaker 2: A baby and a birth certificate.
Speaker 1: If I'm not Anna Staples. By the time the baby is born, the baby will be first name S McAvoy instead of S. Staples. Yeah, because I think at the hospital everything goes under the mother's name. That's what I've heard.
Speaker 2: Right, So the door's going to say.
Speaker 1: The door is going to say the wrong name.
Speaker 2: The doors going to I mean, I know it's not like the Saber macavoy.
Speaker 1: There's a different s name. Now. I'm just gonna have to get.
Speaker 2: Used to this, get it changed. Go express.
Speaker 1: I've already said that it's Michael's job now, right, because he's that I think I found.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I get onto it. Michael, do it. You've got too much. Go do it, You've got too much.
Speaker 1: Okay, Matt, that is all we have time for. We want to know your thoughts on this episode. What do you think about men keeping or changing their names. We want to hear from you. As always, make sure you're following our socials
Speaker 2: And until next Time Sonny Sean spencer Steve O Simon,