Speaker 1: On the twenty six a Gen twenty twenty six, I was a mum standing in a crowd when a bomb was thrown at the people around me. So I vividly recall that day and it's haunted me pretty much ever since.
Speaker 2: It's the other racism inquiry running at the same time as the Royal Commission into Anti Semitism and Social Cohesion.
Speaker 1: As we were watching the ceremony or the rally begin, I saw what appeared to be a child's toy out in front of me. It kind of wafted down and I didn't know at the time that it actually had hit the leg of one of my daughter's friends. So I didn't know obviously that it was a soft field explosive device built for carnage. I didn't really know what I was seeing.
Speaker 2: But while the Royal Commission has attracted rolling media coverage and government attention, the inquiry into racism, hate and violence directed at O Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people has been largely ignored. As witnesses shine a light on the repeated inaction before, during, and after the alleged attempted bombing of an invasion day that triggered this inquiry.
Speaker 1: But I'm here because of what happened next. Silence, nothing, nothing.
Speaker 2: I'm Ruby Jones and you're listening to seven AM today. National Indigenous Affairs Editor for NATV and SBS, John Paul Jenk on how Australia treats different kinds of racism differently. It's Tuesday, July twenty one, JP. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Great to be on. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Look, I was hoping that we could just start with the basics why this inquiry was established and what it is that it's actually looking at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, this is the Senate Inquiry into racism and hate directed towards Abergeltasta on to people. It really arises out of two incidents, and the main one being, of course, the January twenty sixth Invasion Day rally in Balldoo, Perth and the alleged attempted terrorist attack, so the throwing of a bomb into a crowd.
Speaker 2: Police were alleging a thirty one year old man threw a homemade bomb into the crowd of thousands which had gathered in the heart of Perth, CBD for the Invasion Day rally.
Speaker 3: And then going back a couple of months before that, the attacks on Camp Sovereignty.
Speaker 2: In Melbourne, Demonstrators including suspected Neo Nazis, stormed Camp Sovereignty of First Nations gathering site in the Botanic Guard.
Speaker 3: So those two incidents sparked the Minister for Indigenous Australian's Melanderry McCarthy to announce this Senate inquiry into racism and hate directed at First Nation's people.
Speaker 2: And so the very first hearings began in Perth, which is where as you say, this alleged bombing attempt happened on January twenty six. So what has the inquiry heard about the events of that day.
Speaker 3: I think some really powerful testimony came from the National Indigenous Times and one of their reporters who was actually on the ground on the day and saw the incidents unfolded. And I think she actually says in her testimony that the attempt at explosive device bounced directly in front of her.
Speaker 1: And I understand no one died, I get that, but they were boil intents. I shouldn't be sitting here and talking to you today. I am my girls, a mum.
Speaker 2: And my sister.
Speaker 1: We should be dead because it landed right in front of us. That was the intent.
Speaker 3: Protesters and those who had gathered for the Invasion Day rally had seen it as a terrorist attack, and so the evidence was really spelling out that the racism that was directed at First Nations people, particularly on the online platforms, has now moved into real life harm. They understood that the police had been warned that there would be an attack, and I think they were scratching their head saying, look where the governments and various authorities actually paying an attention before these attacks to what the Indigenous community of Perth was saying that this had been escalating towards First Nations people for some time.
Speaker 2: Tell me more about what we understand about warnings before the attack and how they were handled, as well as the response to what happened.
Speaker 3: We heard from one of the organizers, Fabian Yarron, who said that organizers had received a warning that the rally would be the target of those in far right groups.
Speaker 4: I was organizing this thing and we had tip off from the community members that the Nazi Party was going to come and haunts us on that day. So we were aware that the Nazis is going to be coming, and the Nazis was at Wellingson Square, which is about four hundred meters the other row.
Speaker 3: He said that the police were informed but chose not to meet with organizers beforehand.
Speaker 4: We told the police, we told our sentences and told people that ess is going to happen. But this time the policing I didn't understand why they did't meet us. I'm not sure why they even meet us.
Speaker 3: He also said that organizers were not told about maybe a suspected bomb while they were in the square, while the square was being evacuated, and the National Indigenous Times journo Renee Isaac Guthridge, she said, look, the community felt ignored and they believed that the incident overall was not treated as seriously as it should be because the targets were aboriginal tyrestonhon to people. So she spoke about that the WA police didn't really declare an incident or a suspected terrorism attack till nine days after the incident, and I think that was from political pressure. They also felt that mainstream media didn't emphasize the attack as a suspected terrorist attack and just chose it as an attack on an invasion day rally.
Speaker 1: Given the Bondi attack only had happened so close to it. It was just such a stark comparison between how the response between the media and you know, the naming of the the individuals or the accused. You know, it was just it came out straight away, whereas you looked at what happened on that day, it was absolutely revolting the comparison.
Speaker 2: And so as the hearings continued, the evidence, the scope of it widened from this attempted attack in Perth to as you've sort of said, the racism that people experience every day and the more kind of institutionalized racism that exists as well. So tell me more about what the inquiry has heard as it's continued on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the inquiry moved from Perth to Darwin. It's at two days in Darwen, then moved onto Alice Springs on Friday last week and we heard some really substantial evidence from the powerful Northern Land Council and their chair Matthew Ryan, who said, you know, from his opening statement, he said, look, racism that is directed at Aboriginal people is every day and it's increasing.
Speaker 5: I wish all are you come and experience what we experience every day. People are literally dying crying out loud for help, whether it's health, educational or housing. I grew up in one of them homelands. It was empowering back then because ABTSK when we had the funding availability, it was so strong. Now we don't have that anymore.
Speaker 3: And then we heard the CEO of the Northern Land Council use of Deane talk about the impact of racism on the youth.
Speaker 6: The hostility is constant and it is escalating. What concerns and I'll see the most is the impact on our young people. When our original children see how their communities are talked about online, it damages their sense of identity and belonging. That harm is real and it is measurable.
Speaker 3: We had others talk about, you know, failures in the anti justice system and they called it, you know, a jailing machine. And he compared the prison system to those of a ghul Ad.
Speaker 7: Not only do we have the highest imprisonment rac in this jurisdiction, up to ninety percent of them, ninety percent of them are black. That is astonishing, that is unbelievable, that is intolerable. And yet I have watched in twenty thirty forty years, I've watched the increase and it's now going through the roof.
Speaker 3: Others spoke about the examples of parents being fined Abrisinal parents being fined I was school attendance. So they spoke about structural racism, racism that exists in both policy and in institutions. And this is off the back of what Ken Wyatt, who is the former Minister for Indigenous Australians, had said in Perth, and he said that you know, race is persistent, it's cumulative. It operates in education and health care, employment, it operates in our public spaces, it operates in our justice system.
Speaker 8: So the greatest challenge is not just the attitude of individuals out in the field, it is our institutions across this nation. If you looked at the West Australian this morning, you would have seen a young Aboriginal man in an emergency department was grabbed and held by the throat, which I'm sure that they would not have done had it been the western suburbs of Perth because he happened to be an Aboriginal man in Klgooli. He was treated and held by the throat and then eventually dropped to the floor. That is not what you'd expect in an institution in our nation.
Speaker 3: But one of the things he spoke about is that he's fear is that racism is going from those areas into in person racism, So racism that has experienced on the street, which is what we saw at the En Invasion Day rally on January twenty sixth earlier this year.
Speaker 2: Coming up how the Voice referendum became a turning point for racism JP, a recurring theme in the evidence to this inquiry was that the Voice referendum marked a turning point in terms of racism becoming more openly expressed. What did people say changed during and after that campaign in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, A lot of the submissions that have been sent to the inquiry and posted online, there's some six hundred and seventy submissions. A lot of those point to social media as the number one platform where that racism is escalating, and a lot of them are saying it's from the twenty twenty three referendum. They say that racism was there during the referendum campaign, particularly through misinformation and myths truth about First Nations people. They've seen it continue and they feel as though the referendum has given people permission to continue those levels of racism and continue those levels of misinformation all the way through to current times. The Northern Land Council spoke about posts that their children put up or the youth put up, that are trolled right across Australia and in fact internationally through racist comments. We see it ourselves at an ITV. We've had a huge escalation in the amount of trolling on our sides and that comes at a cost to the organization that we have to engage external moderators to look after our social media content.
Speaker 2: And this inquiry it's happening at the same time as the Royal Commission into Anti Semitism. So what do you make of the way that it's been covered in the media compared to the Commission.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's been almost a silence from mainstream media on this inquiry when you compare it to the Royal Commission and the other inquiries into islam phobia going on. Look, I think the inquiry is one thing, and the agenda of public hearings is another thing. To hear people's evidence and stories firsthand. What people are saying is the time for action is now. That if you are serious in addressing the escalating racism that is directed towards First Nations people. The time for action is now. So people are putting forward a wide range of recommendations, some that are saying, look, we need more legislative clout, we actually need to make elements of racism illegal and actually enforce that through law. We need to make people accountable, we need to make the platforms accountable. We need to have greater education. So they're all hoping that this inquiry will lead to substantive change, not just another report that makes a series of recommendations that is not enacted and we still continue to see this escalation of racism.
Speaker 2: So do you think this inquiry will spur action?
Speaker 3: I think going through a lot of the recommendations that on the online submissions and hearing those who have given evidence in the public'submission so far, a lot of people are saying that it's time for action now. So they're wanting this inquiry to actually deliver substantive change in addressing that racism directed at First Nations people. So they want to see some legislative reform. They want social media platforms to be held accountable for the racism that is escalating on their platforms. They want the ability for those racist comments to be taken down, deleted and removed. So they want real action and they're hoping that the Senate Inquiry doesn't just deliver another report, particularly when it comes to First Nation's issue, that is, delivers a range of recommendations and those recommendations are not implemented or not enacted over the coming years.
Speaker 2: Jffie, thank you so much for speaking with me.
Speaker 3: Thanks very much.
Speaker 6: Great.
Speaker 2: Also in the news, Varnaby Joyce has denied One Nation once a return to the White Australia policy. During a podcast with far right activist Tommy Robinson, Pauline Hanson blamed what she sees as Australia's problems with migration on the end of the White Australia policy. Joyce has also backed Hanson's calls for mass deportations, suggesting illegal immigrants could be targeted when they seek medical treatment. And Darren Hinch has been farewelled at a state funeral for the former journalist and senator The so called Human Headline died earlier this month after a long battle with poor health. He's been remembered as a journalist, campaigner and convict who has jailed for his convictions after speaking out in breach of court orders in multiple cases involving sex crimes and pedophilia. I'm Ruby Jones. This is seven am. Thanks pliciting
Speaker 7: H