Speaker 1: Live on Sky News. This is Sharry Good Evening, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Alberizi tonight accused of breaching the Ministerial Code of Conduct by soliciting business flight upgrades. Peter Dutton wants the Corruption Commission to investigate, and Albanzi has also given a misleading answer over why his son had chairman's lounge access. Joe Aston will be on my show tonight and boy does he hit back at Albanzi.
Speaker 3: The ones who bang on the most about their origin story, you know, about how they grew up in a brown paper bag or they floated to an Australia on a stick of spaghetti. They're always the ones who are most are most susceptible to the high life. And I think it's certainly true that for someone who came from so little, Albanesi has an insatiable appetite for VIP travel and hospitality.
Speaker 2: That's coming up also tonight, Petty Wong furious that Israel dared to block a UN organization that has a long history of supporting terror. Why would the Foreign Minister be so upset about this? Chris Mitchell would join me to discuss, and eight days out from the US election, will Cross Live to Washington, where Adam Crichton will break down the latest positive poll for Trump.
Speaker 1: But as one comedian's bad joke cost him votes.
Speaker 2: I'm going to discuss that with Bronwin Bishop and Caleb Bond in a moment. But first tonight, accusations that Anthony Alberzi has misled voters about why his son had chairman's lounge access. This comes as Peter Dutton accuses alben Ezi of breaching the Ministerial Code of Conduct. His also said this entire matter should be referred to the Corruption Commission for investigation. Now this has now become a political scandal. Albinizi is accused of misleading voters over why he asked the QUANTT chief executive Alan Joyce for a chairman's lounge access for his son Nathan.
Speaker 1: Now, when this.
Speaker 2: Revelation first emerged over a year ago, Albanezy refused to comment on it at all. The Prime Minister had never disclosed this gift on his register of interests. But this week he finally spoke about it and he claimed that his son was his new plus one.
Speaker 1: Have a look.
Speaker 4: All that happened was my relationship ended. My relationship ended, and my plus one when that happened, and I put out a media release when my marriage ended. You can't be more transparent than that, and my plus one became my son.
Speaker 2: That seemed to satisfy the journalists at the press conference.
Speaker 1: But is it true. Not quite.
Speaker 2: Albaneze claimed as he heard that Carmel Tebbert was his plus one, But in fact I'm told that she had her own Quantus chairman's lounge access, completely independent of Albanesi, and she was of course Deputy Premiere in New South Wales and also Education Minister. And secondly, by the time Albanesi asked Alan Joyce to give his son the lounge access, well, he'd split up from Carmel Tebbert around three years earlier. Joe Aston explains this discrepancy in the interview I've.
Speaker 1: Done with him that's airing on the show tonight. Have a look.
Speaker 3: I find again, I find that an implausible explanation because Jody Hayden was disclosed by Albanesi in his Register of interest in October twenty twenty two as Albanese's plus one, So how can his son be his plus one?
Speaker 2: There's just so many holes in all of Albanese's answers and Joe Aston coming up on the show a bit later. He also responds to the claims from Albanzi that the journalist is targeting his faumily by focusing on his son's chairman's lounge access. So what we've seen today and you know this by now, that the Prime Minister is now attacking Joe Aston a journalist, instead of just being straightforward and honest and open with voters about all of this. Alban Easy repeatedly promised that he was going to do politics differently. But we're not seeing transparency. We're only seeing attacks on Aston.
Speaker 4: The person who is trying to sell a book, and fair enough, I don't see decorations that he's a former Liberal Party staffer for a number of senior members of the Liberal Party, including Joe Hockey and Bruce Bird. I don't see decorations he as a former Counus employee. I don't see decorations. In June, just a few months ago, he was a guest him and John Howard, a Liberal Party fundraiser in the electorate of Worth.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, this is petulant. Seriously, a prime minister under scrutiny for integrity issues, starts attacking a journalist. Albanize cannot avoid answering questions by hitting out at Joe Aston. Not that it's relevant, but Joe Aston's disclosures are pretty clear. On page one of this book, he discloses that he did previously work for both Quantas and the Liberal Party. And by the way, that's probably why he has such good access to intel. It's beside the point. This isn't about Aston's disclosures. He's not getting a taxpayer funded salary. He's not answerable to voters. This is about Albernizi's disclosures. That's what matters and Albanize He also refused to directly answer questions about whether he requested or solicited the gifts from his mate Alan Joyce.
Speaker 5: Did you call Alan Joys personally for these upgrades?
Speaker 4: The idea Quannas have a number in terms of bookings that are private bookings.
Speaker 2: So no denial at all, just yet again deflection by talking about some private number and on that what is he talking about a number for private bookings. The Quantus number that you and I have access to is the one three one three, one three number where you're left on hold for hours. The number Albanese he had for private bookings for upgrades is Alan Joyce's personal mobile number. He was basically his travel agent. And today we saw Albinezi also tried to attack his political opponents for the number.
Speaker 1: Of upgrades that they've had.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's like a child saying, oh, but that kid also stole the lollipop. This is extraordinary stuff from the prime minister who promised a new era of transparency in politics.
Speaker 4: I want to bring people together and I want to change the way that politics is conducted in this country. And I do believe that we can do politics better and I hope to do so.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: Maybe Albenesi should read up on the Code of Conduct for Ministers because it does state that yep, they're allowed to accept gifts, but they must not seek or encourage any form of gift in their personal capacity. That's a direct quote. And there are now quite serious questions over whether the Prime Minister breached those ministerial Code of Conduct rules, and Peter Darton says he has well.
Speaker 7: Certainly, on the face of reading the Gillard government minister or Code of Conduct, the Prime Minister has breached that by his own admission.
Speaker 2: At no point has Albanese denied that he personally asked that enjoys for upgrades worth tens of thousands of dollars and if he asked for them it would be in breach as I've just shown you of the Ministerial Code of Conduct. Parliament resumes next week, so it's very possible that if alban Easy doesn't refer himself to the Corruption Commission, which let's be Frank is not going to, then the Coalition might make that referral. Just months out from the federal election, things couldn't be looking worse for alban Easy now. Australia's premiers have been blasted for their handling of the COVID nineteen pandemic, with the Federal Inquiry report released today saying that some differences were not easily explained and no rationale was provided. This included the operation of state border closures that states enacted unilaterally and that lacked consistency and compassion in implementation, stating the obvious. The inquiry also found that vaccine mandates has reduced the motivation of some people to be vaccinated for COVID nineteen and has led to ongoing reluctance to receive vaccines. Now, the main recommendation from this inquiry is to set up a CDC, a Center for disease control like they have in the United States, which by the way, didn't do any better than Australia. But what's so appalling about this is that the Albanezy government had already decided to set up a CDC long before the inquiry recommendations came out. The website has been built for literally more than eight or nine months, so this was a foregone conclusion. It wasn't an outcome of this report, as the minister's.
Speaker 1: Told us today.
Speaker 2: And worst of all, the main action to prevent another pandemic would be to investigate the origins of COVID nineteen, work out why this virus spread.
Speaker 1: Around the world.
Speaker 2: But not once has Albanezi asked Chinese President Shijingping his good mate about this, not once, because it was Scott Morrison's demand for an inquiry into the origins of the virus that sparked China's aggression against Australia in the first place, including all.
Speaker 1: The trade tariffs.
Speaker 2: But to prevent another pandemic, we do need to know how it began. We do need a ban on dangerous gain of function research, risky research that was initially banned under the Obama administration for viruses like coronaviruses. Yet now gainer function research is taking place.
Speaker 1: All over the world. We need a proper commission of inquiry.
Speaker 2: This inquiry that we've seen the results of today was a whitewash, no proper scrutiny. Mark Butler today we've heard him speak about the paper trayal and faxes. I mean, seriously, that's not the sort of tough questions that need to be examined to ensure we don't have another pandemic, and if we do, to make sure that the authorities know how to handle it. Okay, lots to talk about tonight. Joe Aston coming up, plus Chris Mitchell on his incredible column this week about how Jews are the indigenous people of Israel. But first now let's bring in tonight's panel, Sky News host kayleb Bond and our regular former Speaker of the House Bronwin Bishop.
Speaker 1: Welcome to you both. Look, let's start by talking.
Speaker 2: About Anthony Albanisi and this quantus scandal. Bronwin Bishop Peter Dutton has said that the Prime Minister should refer himself to the Corruption Commission. How serious are the integrity issues here that the PM has to answer for?
Speaker 8: Well, I guess the issues are being clearly spilled out today, and that is the code of conduct, not being allowed to ask for a gift as to think from being offered one when it's got a monetary value of three hundred and fifty dollars and seven hundred dollars. And also the question of whether when you're the regulating minister, whether you're in a really serious conflict of interest situation.
Speaker 9: So there where.
Speaker 1: Is he the big point, isn't it? It's very conflict of interest?
Speaker 8: Yes, So the question is and of course people then related to the Kata Airlines decision of not allowing them to come in and I think Albinizi said he.
Speaker 9: Was protecting the national interest?
Speaker 6: Was he?
Speaker 9: We don't know. So it is a serious issue.
Speaker 8: And I remember that Gladys bear A Jiglian was knocked out of the premiership because she had reached the code of conduct among other things. So there is a seriousness about it, which is more.
Speaker 1: Than Farrell and the bottle of another breach there, yees.
Speaker 9: So it's a serious issue.
Speaker 8: Whether he refers himself or not to the institution he created will be interested. They were, I think quite anxious to offer a couple of former Coalition ministers after that commission.
Speaker 9: So it remains to be seen.
Speaker 8: But that train wreck of a press conference he gave today, Why was he doing it?
Speaker 9: Where are his friends? And then you asked the question do they really want to get.
Speaker 1: Rid of him?
Speaker 2: I mean, if Albanezy truly believes he has nothing to hide, he should come out and say, yep, sure, get the Corruption Commission to investigate, because I'm an open book. But we haven't seen him do that. From the coalition's perspective, they say the balls in his court now. It is possible that they could make that referral though next week when Parliament resumes. Caleb, before I get your response, I want to show you just how much of a subject of ridicule Albanize is becoming. This was the West Australian Front page today by editor Christopher Door. Have a look Business Class Warrior showing Albanizi and the Quantus PJS.
Speaker 1: Obviously that's not a real photograph. That's a bit of a lock up, Caleb.
Speaker 2: We can't imagine Alberizi getting changed into his PJS though, when he has those, you know, twenty two plus flight upgrades to business class.
Speaker 6: I don't want to imagine him changing into his pj's. There's probably a better picture than you know, after we lost all that weight, before he had the car crash, of course, but he said when he says that he was going to do politics better, he's certainly done one thing better, and that's get his snout in the trough. Now, this was going on long before he was Prime minister. Of course, we're talking most importantly about when he was Transport minister. And he knows he's on the ropes. That's why he gave the response he gave today. He went up a dry gully and he can't back out of it because he knows what he had done. And I know there's been the comparison drawn, and he's tried to draw the comparison.
Speaker 9: No, Well, lots of.
Speaker 6: Politicians accept gifts from Quantus and upgrades from Quantus. That might be so, but how many others have picked up the phone directly to the CEO of Quantus while they are Transport minister and ask for an upgrade, not on a business trip, but on a personal trip. And when you are the minister in charge who has a decision over what airlines are allowed to operate in this country, the slots that they are allowed to have in this country. It is such a direct conflict of interest that some people might look at that. And we're talking about him being referred to the Corruption Commission and asked the question, was that corrupt conduct? He can't answer that because he knows what he has done, regardless of the law, does not look good. It cuts through because you and I, as you said before, if we wanted to get a flight, if we pick up the phone to someone, we're sitting there for four hours trying to talk to someone, not Anthony Alberansi. This is a major issue, not just for the Prime Minister now, but for the way that the airline industry is run in this country. It should not be in the hands of a minister at all. As far as I'm concerned, you can't blame Joyce for doing what he's done. Of course he's want to curry favor with the Transport Minister, but he ought to know better Albanzi, that is than to get on the blower and ask for a gift. It's a terrible look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Joyce has done nothing wrong, He's done nothing illegal. This is all on the questions are all for Albansi, and it just shows again how out of touch it is. We're in a cost of living crisis. Australians can barely afford interstate travel at the moment in economy. And I don't know about you Tube, but you know I've heard a lot of people say, oh, yes, I've had an upgrade. I'll tell you what. Every time I fly, I always say, can I have an upgrade? No one has ever once said yes at quandas or whichever.
Speaker 6: I only get with points, So I haven't been off a one joy sweat.
Speaker 10: Were you when I needed you for him?
Speaker 1: You just can't get upgrade? So there you go.
Speaker 2: Let's look at this COVID inquiry report Bronwen. This was particularly scathing of vaccine mandates, but really only from the perspective of now vaccine hesitancy.
Speaker 8: Well, I think that the report is an absolute disgrace because what we needed was a Royal Commissioner, and the parameters of the report were such that investigating what individual states, particularly the premiers did was excluded from the inquiry and reporting. So what we're seeing is let's blame the previous federal government for what they did. Now there's the treasurer out there, the snake charmer, because.
Speaker 9: It's all an illusion. There he was out there.
Speaker 8: Today saying, oh, well they were responsible, they the former coalition government for giving us inflation. But at the same time there were the shadow tasure demanding that the coalitions spend more and keep spending it for longer.
Speaker 6: So there is.
Speaker 8: Absolutely no no integrity in that man's answer at all. Today he banks on the fact that probably people will forget what he said last time. So the thing that concerns me also is the establishment of this Center for Disease Control. I mean, it sounds all wellian to start with, and to me, I'm linking it up with the stated intention of the government to sign up to this United Nations World Health Organization proposed treaty that would mean that the World Health Organization could say, well, we've got a pandemic and this is what you, Australia have got to do, and this is what and so and so forth, so you would have this so called independent body.
Speaker 1: And again the.
Speaker 2: US had a CDC and they were still hit hard by the pandemics.
Speaker 1: Is going to be some not.
Speaker 8: But I am still worried about this treaty because you can sign a treaty, but nothing happens until legislation imports it into domestic law. Is this the first step of importing it into domestic law?
Speaker 9: I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw.
Speaker 1: That they were really compromised by China.
Speaker 2: They gave out misleading information in the WHO They told everyone that COVID nineteen and there was no human to human transmission.
Speaker 1: In fact, it was a highly infectious virus.
Speaker 8: And they still insisted on telling people that if you got vaccinated, you would then.
Speaker 9: Not infect anybody else. That was an absolute lie.
Speaker 8: All it did was allegedly make the disease less in your own body. You are not a risk to anybody else in your own body. It was supposed to make it less.
Speaker 9: Now we've got.
Speaker 8: What thousands of people who are walking around who have been affected by the vaccinations because.
Speaker 9: Of the reactions they had. They were rushed through so much.
Speaker 8: There weren't so much to look at in a royal commission that will hopefully prevent unproven things being pumped into people's bodies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very quick response, Caleb. I'm sure we'll hear more from you about this at ten o'clock tonight.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Look, I mean the vaccine stuff seriously. I mean the report says that it was the rollout of vaccines was too slow and that cost lives. Well, no, I think the damage that was done by the States cost a lot more lives. And as for a CDC, the one thing that really went wrong during COVID was bureaucrats running the show. And now we're being told the one thing that would save us if this ever happened again is to have another outfit with even more bureaucrats in it, pull the other way that had joke.
Speaker 2: And by the way, when is anyone going to apologize for taping up children's playgrounds like there were some rhyme scene.
Speaker 1: I mean absolutely ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Children were barely affected by COVID if they were healthy, young kids, and they couldn't even go to a playground. I mean, those lost childhoods. Never get them back. All right, kayleb Bond, BNT Brenwan Bishop, thank you both so much, and we'll see you at ten o'clock tonight. Now, since the October seven terror attacks, we've seen outrageous claims from pro Palestinian activists that Jews should be expelled from Israel, a one state solution from the river to the sea. Well, these activists push misinformation. They're presenting Jews as white colonizers, ignoring the reality that Jews are indigenous to the land of Israel. And the reality is that in many parts of the Middle East, like Iran, Syria and Iraq, Christians and Jews have been persecuted and expelled.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 2: I spoke to the former editor in chief of The Australian Current columnist Chris Mitchell about this a little earlier.
Speaker 1: Chris Mitchell, thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 2: You've written an exceptional column and it's been one of the most well read articles on the Australian website. You write about how Jews are presented as colonizers.
Speaker 1: This is far from the truth, Chris.
Speaker 2: Can you explain to us how Jews are actually indigenous to the land of Israel.
Speaker 7: The truth is they're the direct inheritors of the original Canaanite civilization in the area. So just as Aboriginal Australians would say they are the original people here and everyone who came after them are colonizers, the truth is the Jews are the original inhabitants of that part of the Levant. I'd say they meet virtually all of the seven UN criteria for indigeneity, and there are sort of an ethno religious group much the same way as Australian Aborigines are. So it's not just a religion like Islam, it's a religion identified with the people, and those people have been from that area forever and they have the same genealogical and genetic back to the Canaanites wherever they are in the world.
Speaker 2: Chris Jews were connected with the land of Israel for at least at least a thousand years before the religion of Islam even began.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You write about how Palestinian activists are now demanding people use Arabic terms for cities in Israel our kods for Jerusalem, for example, and you argue that this is laughable because the original Hebrew names far predate Arab settlement.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, it might be more than two thousand years ahead of you know, the Arab colonization of the area. I think the idea that you know, people like Randall abul Fatar, you know, an intellectual who is on a research grant of eight hundred thousand dollars, and you know, an advocate for Palestinian riots would be retweeting claims that we should reverse to Arab names for old Jewish towns. It's so Affaboard's analogous to insisting that we call Ularu now is Rock because the colonizers were actually the Aboriginal people rather than the Brits who came here and called Ada's rock.
Speaker 2: Well, can you tell us about the history of Arabs with the land of Israel and when they started referring to themselves as Palestinians.
Speaker 7: Well, I think, you know, if you look at the early part of the twentieth century, and I think it's pretty clear from the nineteen forty seven forty eight attack by the Arabs on what was then Palestine that Palestine at the time was seen by all Westerners as a land of Jews. So the UN one resolution proposed that along the green line everything from the sea that the green line would be Israel, and then a Palestinian state for people who identified as Palestinians but were in fact ethnic Arabs would be built between that line and Jordan. Now we have to remember that the Palestinian state in the world that is actually Jordan, and that's where most Palestinian people live, so at its heart, I think this probably is a problem that goes back to six hundred AD after the rise of Islam. The conquest of the region came between six thirty six and six forty and the area was really dominated by Arabs for most of that period. So you know, there were other conquests like the Ottoman conquests, et cetera. But these people essentially colonized the whole of the Middle East, and they went right out to Spain, you know. So you can read about Jewish poets in Spain who stood up to the Arabs in the fourteen nineties. You know, the imaginings of Palestinian advocates that they were always ethnic Palestinians are ridiculous. So there may be some Palestinians who have Canaanite ancestry as well, but they would have been people who were either Christian or Jewish who converted to Islam after six hundred and forty a d. Now, the big immigration in more recent periods to the region came under the British mandate, so probably four hundred thousand people of Arab extraction moved into Palestine and They largely went four regulated wages rates so they could be better paid and work more regulated hours in what was then Palestine than they would have in other parts of the Middle East. But they knew, and they wrote about it at the time, that they were coming to a Jewish land.
Speaker 2: Look, I just want to ask you about Pennywong's comments today. The Albanesi government is opposing Israel's decision to stop UNRAH operating in Israel because of its proven clear links to terrorism.
Speaker 1: What's your view on this?
Speaker 7: Well, Look, I think it's really bit admitted that there were links between UNRAH and the and the October seven massacre. So even the UN itself sacked nine of the twelve names that the Israelis gave them. I think this sort of fits with the wider picture of suspicion about the UN in Israel, and I think people are rightly suspicious. I noticed today that the IDF has revealed footage of tunnels in southern Lebanon. Now these are tunnels that were built for what was meant to be an invasion of northern Israel and a repeat of October seventh by Hezbollah. Now UNIFIL, you know, who were so upset about the attack on their headquarters last week. Uniform has said all along, there's no evidence of these tunnels existing. Well, the IDF went down and took journalists in there today, so these tunnels exist and the plan did exist. So you know what we're really seeing here is a repeat in Lebanon of the sorts of furfees driven by the un that have been powering the media narrative since last year. On Gaza.
Speaker 2: Chris Mitchell terrific columns every single week on Monday in The Australian and appreciate your time, Thanks Harry. And after the break, Anthony Alberanezi accused of breaching the Ministerial code of conduct. Well, the columnist, the author who revealed all of this, Joe Aston, will join us on the show and he doesn't hold back. Plus, the Trump campaign in damage control after a joke by a comedian at the Madison Square Garden rally backfires. Will cross live to the US for the latest.
Speaker 1: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Well, the Albanzi government is tonight in damage control mode. The political fallout from the Quantus upgrade scandal now taking on a life of its own. Albanizi hasn't denied personally asking former Quantus chief executive Allan Joys for upgrades. These business class flights are worth tens of thousands of dollars, and then news today that he's been getting these perks since ninety ninety nine. I spoke about all of this with Joe Aston, the author of The Chairman's Lounge, a little earlier. Joe Aston, thank you so much for your time and congratulations in your book.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Cherry certainly making news today and the Prime Minister he's under pressure over the revelations over the flight upgrades. He's attacked you personally over this. What's your response to what he's had to say today?
Speaker 3: So the Prime Minister complained that apparently I've failed to disclose that I was once a liberal staffer and that I also worked for Quantus. My advice would be perhaps one of the fifty taxpayer funded staff who worked for him could have read the first couple of pages of the book, because it's there that I was a Quantus employee before the contents page, and the fact that I was a liberal staffer is literally on the first line of the first page of the book.
Speaker 1: So he's deflecting.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, he's unfortunately decided to shoot the messenger, and he seems unable to answer the only question that people are interested in hearing.
Speaker 2: This is a classic strategy to avoid having to answer questions about the own upgrades and the benefits that he's received.
Speaker 1: Over the years. He says he's declared them. So what has he done that's actually wrong here?
Speaker 3: Well, well, I think potentially he hasn't technically done anything wrong if he has disclosed all of his flight upgrades, which he says he has, But that really says something about what's wrong with the rules. You can disclose gifts all you want, but the fact is he was Transport minister and he was seeking upgrades and accepting upgrades from a national airline that he was actually in charge of regulating. As we learned during the Katar affair last year, the Transport Minister of Australia has really unique personal discretion over which airlines can fly into Australia and how often they can fly. So for the Transport for a Transport minister to be accepting benefits from, or to be seeking and then accepting benefits from an airline worth tens of thousands of dollars, it's just I don't see how anyone can say that's acceptable even if it is disclosed.
Speaker 2: I mean, you've made the comparison to a CEO from A and Z or Westpac giving fifty thousand dollars into a prime minister's or a politician's bank accounts and that person them disclosing it. You know, it still raises questions.
Speaker 1: Oh totally. So what do you think of the.
Speaker 2: Major decisions You just refer to Qatar Airlines, But what do you think of the major decisions that Albanezi has made over the years that have benefited Quantus?
Speaker 3: Well, I would say, well, certainly last year when Quantus was going off the rails, and as we many of us remember, they had the highest prices and the worst customer service in memory, and they were in an absolute brand crisis which they're still recovering from. At that time, the Albanesi government defunded the hriplec's airline monitoring powers, which only Quantus had sought to have ended. No other parties had wanted to do that, so they basically cut the hble C's off at the knees. And of course then there's the guitar decision. So I would point out that the Albanese government has brought in a very very i'd say almost radical industrial relations changes that do a lot of damage to Quantus's business model, so it hasn't been all one way traffic.
Speaker 2: Aside from the flight upgrades, one of the main revelations from your reporting has been that the Prime Minister requested from Alan Joyce a chairman's lounge membership for his son Nathan. Now he has said in the past few days that this was just a plus one that replaced Carmel Tebbet's plus one. But in fact I'm told that well, Carmel Tebbetts, she was Deputy Premier in New South Wales, that she had a chairman's lounge membership in her own right, so it wasn't the case that she was the prime Minister's plus one. Does your reporting back this up?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So I wrote this twelve months ago, August twenty twenty three, and the Prime Minister was so outraged he tried to shut the story down. He called my editor in chief and has now you know, has basically put a personal boycott on the AFI won't speak at any conferences.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's all a bit this is about his son receiving the lounge.
Speaker 3: Miss she's so angry about that story being run, and he's never dealt with it. He just has never even confirmed that it's true. And until this week, I mean a year later, he finally says, yeah, okay, he does have a Chairman's land to membership. But as you say, he's added this new story that he's apparently Albanese's plus one. Well, I find again I find that an implausible explanation because Jody Hayden was disclosed by Albanesi in his Register of interest in October twenty twenty two as Albanese's plus one, So how can his son be his plus one? And my understanding is certainly that it was only when Alberanzi became Prime Minister that he asked Alan Joyce to make his son a Chairman's Lounge member, remember, which is more than three years after his marriage to Carmel Tevit ended. So I think there's still questions about that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, he claims you're targeting his family, that this isn't a matter of public interest.
Speaker 1: What do you say to that?
Speaker 3: I find that pretty tiresome. You sort of get used to it. But I mean the idea that I am targeting his family or that it's my fault or the financial reviews fault, or the book's fault that his son is being raised in the news. Is just completely not taking responsibility for his own actions. His grasping behavior, asking for benefits for his family while he's in public office. That's what caused his son to be in the news, and he just and again, I think we're seeing more of this. He has this inability to take responsibility for his own actions. He has a real blind spot around what's appropriate.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, the political side of it is obviously fascinating, but where it becomes a serious issue is if the politicians aren't properly holding Quantum to account or ensuring proper conduct from our national carrier. When it comes to issue like the COVID flight credits. This was an egregious conduct from Quantus. So do you think that the politicians, if they weren't on the take from Quantus, they might have been tougher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think I think, well, setting aside COVID credits, I think for more than three decades, governments and politicians of both stripes have been you know, in licking the trough of Quantus for that entire period of time, now Quantus is the best user and wielder of soft influence in Australia, and I go into great detail about that in my book. But you know, more recently, the company, the company let the Australian people down. The company wants to be the national carrier, the spirit of Australia, but it went m a in COVID, and it used COVID as a super profit supercharging opportunity to make more money than they've ever made before. And they sold Australians down the river. And what I think the Australian government and the opposition, you know, they switch around, as you know in twenty twenty two, but both sides would never have allowed Quantus such an easy run if they weren't also compromise.
Speaker 1: Just finally, quickly before you go.
Speaker 2: I mean, some people are missing your columns in the fin Review, other's.
Speaker 1: Not so much.
Speaker 2: But I'm interested in your view about Albinizi as a character because the position, the perception is cementing that he is that he does like a freebeat, whether it's the Grand Final tickets, Taylor Swift tickets, his cliptop mansion and now the revelations of the twenty two flight upgrades at least. What's your view on how he's presented himself as this boy from housing Commission.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting in my experience writing about very powerful people for a long period of time, the ones who bang on the most about their origin story, you know, about how they grew up in a brown paper bag, they floated to an Australia on a stick of spaghetti. They're always the ones who are most are most susceptible to the high life. And I think it's certainly true that for someone who came from so little, Albanizi has an insatiable appetite for VIP travel and hospitality.
Speaker 2: All Right, Joe Aston, thank you very much and congratulations once again in your book.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Cherry.
Speaker 2: And coming up after the break, why Penny Wong insists on giving taxpayer funds our taxpayer funds to an organization linked to hamas she has.
Speaker 1: Truly lost the plot.
Speaker 2: Plus the warning to Albanesi from a labor insider about doing a deal with the devil, and by that he means the Greens stay tuned.
Speaker 1: Okay, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Well, let's jump straight into it now with our panel. Sky News contributor Gary Hargrave and former Labor advisor Darren Bynett.
Speaker 1: Welcome to you both.
Speaker 2: Well, let's have a look at what pennywog Can said today. Now, Israel quite rightly Pastor Bill banning the discredited UNRA because of its long history to terrorism, including some of their staff actually participating in the October seventh attacks. And you all know the history by now. It would be disgraceful for our taxpayer funds, our hard walking dollars to go towards that organization when there are other ways of giving eight. Yet, of course, anyone attacked Israel's decision have a look.
Speaker 11: The best available current advice from agencies and the Australian government lawyers is that UNRA is not a terrorist organization and that existing and additional safeguards sufficiently protect Australian taxpayer funnel.
Speaker 2: I mean, Gary, it is obvious by now we have seen so many terrorists carrying around their UNRA badgers. Surely it Pennywong must have concerns that millions of taxpayer dollars are going to support terrorism.
Speaker 12: Yeah you think so, Shari, And I mean who does she work for? She works for us, But in fact what she's showing is she actually works for the internationalists who want to pull apart Western society. We cannot allow even a sniff of Australian money to end up somewhere near or give comfort to those who are terrorists. We are an award to save the West. Israelis on the front line and if Israelan's made a judgment based on what they see in their country, then we should back them all the way.
Speaker 2: It's a no brainer, and especially because the evidence has been presented to everyone. And also what concerns me Darren is that she didn't even bother to wait for the official investigation into the links between HUMAS and AUNRA before kickstarting our funding.
Speaker 5: Well, I think if you look at the vote, it was ninety two votes to ten in the Israeli parliament, so is not a close decision. And I think what Gary says is true that you have to respect the wishes of the Israeli parliament and act accordingly. So the government. I know they are playing an internationalist game and they are singing from the same song sheet as several other similar countries to ours, but you've got to respect the rights of the Israeli parliament on this one, I think.
Speaker 1: And there are other ways of giving aid.
Speaker 2: Aid is important, there are other ways of giving it without us all having concerns that we are enabling terrorism. I mean, it's just appalling. I actually can't believe we have this foreign minister. The sooner we get rid of her the better. Now, I don't usually think that former Labor Minister Kim Karr is worth listening to.
Speaker 1: He's as radical as they come.
Speaker 2: Yet he's given quite an interesting interview where he said that the Albaneze government can't afford to do a deal with the Greens, and he wants that the Greens will be asking labor to do things that they don't want to do and the historic pattern that has been that has led to quite negative outcomes. He's saying that we've got to do everything we can to avoid minority government. Now, Gary Kim Karr is a far left labor figure, but even he's warning that the Greens are going to make some quite serious demands on labor should Albanezi have to do a deal at the next election.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and we used to nickname him in a fun way kim Ilka. You know, it's giving a sort of Korean dictator kind of slant. But look, Kim car is right. How I can't even believe I'm saying that, because the Labor Party are going to be taken over by the Greens, even more than some elements of the Labor Party have already been taken over. We saw it in the Queens Out election, we saw it in the Act election back earlier this year, the Brisbane City Council election. People are actually voting against the Greens. Now, people are actually saying, you know what, your support of Hamas, your support and comfort for terrorists, is not about the environment. It's about tyranny. It's about anarchy and if the Labor Party want to be involved with them, Kim Kim Ilka, there go, I've done it again. Kim Karr is right, you know, stay away from these people. They're bad people, making bad decisions and speaking in our name on really the wrong issues all the time. So Labor, you've got to be a grown up party. Steer clear of them, I say, and don't even give them preferences. Heaven's help us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, just quickly those comments we played of Penniwong a second ago. That was Pennywong back in March speaking about Anna Rabbert. Today on social media and on Twitter, you can pull up her statement or on X I should say she condemned Israel over that decision to ban Anra operating now Darren realistically, Albertiezi says he's not going to do a deal with the Greens, but if it comes to it, if it's his only way of staying in power, I mean of course he's going to.
Speaker 5: I think his preference would be to go to other independents before relying on the Greens, because we saw what happened last time and I worked for Julia, but Julia Gillard signing effectively a declaration with Bob Brown was not to her benefit at all. What Kim Car says is absolutely true that unlike the coalition between the LNP in Queenza but the Liberal National Coalition, the Greens are not there to make Labor elected. There are many in the Greens who their long term ambition is to take over the progressive or the left vote to Labour's detriment. And with that in mind, it's a dangerous thing for Labor to go into coalition and they will do everything they can to not go into a formal coalition with the Greens.
Speaker 2: Just remind me, were you working for Julia Gillard when it was the hung Parliament and there was that extraordinary long negotiation with Oakshardan.
Speaker 5: No, I wasn't. I left Tanya's office at the end of the term and I came back to Julia's office some time up. But I did watch those eighteen minutes when for all of us inside the show, it was perfectly obvious if Catter had gone one way, the other two would going the other way. So it was kind of in real time. It was quite painful. I quite like Robot Shop, but it was a painful brest cot No.
Speaker 1: Anyway, oakshots a topic for another day. Gary Hargrave, Darren Barnett, thank you both very much. Now, coming up after the break.
Speaker 2: Why Donald Trump is distancing himself from a joke made at one of his own rallies by a guest speaker across Live to New York as this fallout intensifies. Plus we'll talk about the crucial final days, just eight days left of this presidential campaign. Okay, let's go Live to the United States now and bring in the Australians. Washington correspondent Adam Crichton. Adam, thanks for joining me again. Now you were on the ground at the Madison Square Garden rally. This was described as some Hitler Nazi affair, but actually there were thousands and thousands of Jews who were there, In fact, the Jewish community, I would say, mostly in the US, and people hate hearing this, are supporting Trump because they're single issue voters.
Speaker 1: But what were your takeouts from the night.
Speaker 13: Well, just the level of energy and the huge numbers of people. I mean, it was fully a capacity twenty thousand people. I had to cueue up three hours before the start just to get in, and many thousands of people.
Speaker 10: Were turned away outside.
Speaker 13: And just on the Jewish issue, there were many Israeli flags flying within the event. So the idea it was some sort of Nazi ralliers is just totally absurd. It was very peaceful, very happy. There's lots of energy, lots of happiness. There were no fights, and it went for six and a half hours, so you had, you know, twenty thousand people in the stadium for six and a half hours listening to Trump and his various allies.
Speaker 10: And of course the media.
Speaker 13: Has made a huge deal out of this one silly joke that happened right at the start by the first speaker, by a speaker that I'd never heard of, actually some new comedian.
Speaker 10: You know, he said a stupid joke.
Speaker 2: But I've actually got those comments from that comedian.
Speaker 1: So let's have a look at this.
Speaker 3: But there's literally a floating island of garbage in the middle of the ocean right now.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think it's called Puerto Rico.
Speaker 2: So this has actually sparked, as you say, a major backlash in the media. The Trump campaign has had to respond to this. They say that it doesn't reflect the former president's views.
Speaker 1: But you know why is he being blamed for this.
Speaker 10: Well, because they're desperate, I think.
Speaker 13: And if you look at the polls and if you look at the political betting markets, everything has been moving Trump's way.
Speaker 10: I mean, just literally half an hour.
Speaker 13: Ago, I checked the betting markets to see whether all this drama had made any difference to what people think the outcome will be. And in fact, Trump's chances of winning has gone from sixty one to sixty three percent.
Speaker 10: So I don't think it's really made any difference.
Speaker 13: I mean, the reality is, I mean, who's going to make a decision to vote based on a you know, a random joke from a random comedian.
Speaker 10: I mean I think it's I think it's very unlikely.
Speaker 13: I think most sensible people know that this guy is not he's not aligned with the Trump campaign.
Speaker 10: So look, I think it'll I think it'll wash over.
Speaker 2: I have to say, I think it's amazing that twenty thousand people can sit for six and a half hours engaged at a rally.
Speaker 1: I mean, can you imagine Albo or really any.
Speaker 2: Of our political leaders trying to get people up and stay stay awake for ten minutes, let alone at six hours.
Speaker 1: It's just amazing.
Speaker 2: I want to quickly ask you about this Washington Post issue. They've decided it's a left leading newspaper. They've decided not to endorse a candidate. There's now mass resignations and subscription cancelations. People are so angry that they're not backing in Kamala Harris.
Speaker 1: What's Jeff Bezos said about this Adam.
Speaker 13: Well, look, well, I mean his direct remarks. I mean he wants to stay neutral. I think in the face of a you know what is likely at Trump victory. But it's not just the Washington Post, it's also the La Times as well that's decided not to endorse a candidate. I mean, I think it's a pragmatic move, and you know, maybe, if anything, it increases respect for these newspapers amongst the general public, so they're not seen as such campaigning vehicles anymore. But you know the reality is, I don't think many people really base their votes on these editorials from you know what, are fairly elite liberal newspapers anywhere.
Speaker 2: I think they don't even have to give an official endorsement. I actually do subscribe to the Washington Post because it's just kind of entertaining to read.
Speaker 1: The one sided coverage. But there's no.
Speaker 2: Question they support Kamala Harris anyway. Adam Crichton, thanks for your time, and I'll see you everyone tomorrow at eight o'clock.
Speaker 1: Right now, here's Paul Murray.