Speaker 1: We call mums superwomen and superheroes, but then we don't actually give them the infrastructure to do parenting well and in a way that makes them feel healthier and looked after.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is just another example of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly right, and it goes to show just how much women's work gets undervalued. Caring for people, keeping them alive. We treat it as calling something women do out of love, oh, which.
Speaker 2: I see all the time.
Speaker 3: This podcast was recorded on the lands of the boon Warong people of the Kulin nation, the land on which we're lucky enough to raise our sons and daughters, always was and always will be Aboriginal land.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Ready or Not, the show where two mums try to figure out how to make work work.
Speaker 2: I'm low, I'm li and coming.
Speaker 1: Up on today's show, I'm intrigued by this segment pay me like a cop, The maths of who we actually value was you're bringing that to me and then me to you. Unpacking a very unofficial state of working motherhood report was I took to Instagram to find out, however, sort of fearing feeling about motherhood and work at the moment it's mid year, I thought it was a good time to reassess see where the people are at. I feel like we also get a lot of dms where people like how do other moms feel about X, Y and Z might help answer some questions for the people.
Speaker 2: But first, what's going on? Ah Man?
Speaker 3: I have just done three weeks of solo parenting and I am.
Speaker 2: Cook clat for her forgetting home. I am so exhausted.
Speaker 3: I feel like the first week was actually fine because I could just run my own show. The second week was okay, but I could definitely tell the kids were starting to get just a bit more rebellious.
Speaker 1: Interesting, I wouldn't have even thought of the kids. I was just to give you the whole no.
Speaker 3: And then by week three, I feel like everyone is just over it.
Speaker 2: I've had.
Speaker 3: My patience is so thin. I was actually, I mean, as much as I laugh about this, I was speaking to a girlfriend in tears the other day because I feel like I can't be the mum that I want to be because my patience is stretched so thin with like the constant asks, constant questions, and constant I don't want to do that, I want to eat that's yuck. That I get to the point where I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, you just become stretched. It's really it's a fucked feeling. Yeah, it's hard. I absolutely lose it at my kids.
Speaker 1: And I felt like, especially if you've had it for like a sustained period where it's not just like a little blow up and then you repair, but like if you feel like you've.
Speaker 2: Been doing that for a day or two in a row, it's one of the worst feelings.
Speaker 3: It's awful, you know, for anybody else going through the same thing. And I went to bed the other night and she really didn't want to go to bed. She was like, I don't want to go to bed. I'm not going to bed. And I was like, it's time to go to bed, Like it's quarter past eight, it's time. She's like, nope, I'm not tired. And the real problem was that I was exhausted, like mentally physically.
Speaker 2: I need to go to bed, like I need sleep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I was like, Okay, we can stay in your room, but she shares a room with Zave, and then she was like singing and banging toys and it got to the point where I.
Speaker 2: Was like, that is it.
Speaker 3: I was like, get to sleep, Like I screamed, ye and I'm just not that person. I'm like, you know what, I feel like, I don't know how So like I genuinely I don't know how solo parents do it. I have so much help, so much help, Like I could outsource more if I really really needed to. But like, I've got my dad, my brother, his partner, I've got amazing network of friends, I've got a babysitter, and yet I'm still drowning.
Speaker 2: It is a lot.
Speaker 3: So for anyone going through solo parenting or you know, maybe you've got a five faux partner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, five faux partner, or just you know.
Speaker 3: Maybe do the brunt of the work week by yourself. My hat goes off to you because it is I'm so god, is.
Speaker 2: It even so tiring? Or is there a breakdown?
Speaker 3: No, there's a lot of trips coming up, But you know what, take the good with the bad.
Speaker 1: The other thing I wanted to touch on, I'll just hand it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hand it out.
Speaker 3: The only other thing I was going to touch on is two things. Number one one thing that has actually been making my life slightly easier. And this is a bit random and it's not a plug per se, But if you haven't already used mingle seasoning.
Speaker 2: That's such a great business.
Speaker 3: They're such a great business, and they're so easy. They've got these saucers that you can add to a chicken, and they add to a chicken. This is how tight am add a chicken bee for whatever. I've been going through almost all of them and doing a stir fry or yep, quick flavor. Oh, they're a game changer. I'm just going to buy out there. If you haven't tried them, please do.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: My next thing is I had a few odd comments about childcare that I just wanted to clarify. I gave comment for an article in the Herald Sun recently about childcare and the potential of costs going up by twenty percent, and the fact that my old scent I was charging two hundred twenty one dollars per day. A lot of people are actually in the same boat. All of their centers are quite expensive and they're going up. But I did have quite a few comments of people that said, well, you must earn more. You must live in a nice area, because my childcare doesn't cost that much in my area. Also, for those people that are paying more, you earn more so the system is fair, And I do.
Speaker 2: Want to debunk this head on.
Speaker 3: According to the A Triple C, about half of the lowest income households spend between five and twenty one percent of their disposable income on childcare yep, even though they get a bigger government rebate. Compare that to the top income earners. So half of the highest income households spend roughly two to nine percent of their disposable income on it. The atriple C's own words, the cost burden is felt most by households already facing disadvantage. So for all those people in my inbox that have this rhetoric that the more you.
Speaker 2: Earn the more you should pay, fine, but you're fighting the fight for everybody. But exactly right.
Speaker 3: But I'm also suggesting where people like, oh, the rebate's fair though, because you know, the more you earn, the more you pay. But it's actually not fair. It's proportioned to how much you're earning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so you're less out of pocket on average as a higher income earner than people with earning less income. Yeah, So it's not fair to lower income earners or higher It's not fair anyone.
Speaker 2: It's not fit to anyone.
Speaker 3: I just want to hit the nail on the head with that one, because sometimes I think people assume things about my family situation or how much everybody earns or whatever that might look like. And I work full time, my husband works full time. We're we slogging our absolute guts off, and we are both earning decent wages. I would say, but I am still very aware that schemes like this don't just impact me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not fine. You're not like poor richer us than.
Speaker 1: How the people are as much money as us. You're like, the system is not working exactly right.
Speaker 2: So that's just a gripe that.
Speaker 3: I had that I'm like, I have to say.
Speaker 2: It because this is when people think this.
Speaker 1: I get what people are saying when they say that, but to think that you're sitting there and saying like poor me, It's just.
Speaker 2: It's not what you're about. No.
Speaker 3: I mean, I do feel sorry for myself because I'm like, it's a fuck load of money that we're spending on charge.
Speaker 1: Yet also, can we instead divert our energies of like robust debates to the fact that centers are benefiting more than anyone.
Speaker 2: The businesses, not the educator exactly.
Speaker 1: Businesses, Yes, of helping raise our children while we just scramble to work so we can affoord love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yes, it looks different for everyone.
Speaker 1: And yes, I totally get it for lower income owners. But we're all about fing for everyone. Yes, well said the kids in there, big kid beds, speaking of slate hosey, how you getting none?
Speaker 2: Look, once she's settled, she's not too bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's probably like one call out during the night. Yeah, fun, but ten o'clock is her bedtime.
Speaker 2: At the moment, it's fucked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she's just like no, sweetie, like see enough, But it's more like I want to read books, but then she won't read a book with you. Yeah, and it's just like I've found my independent sweetie. Yes, I can get out of this thing, yep, and I will striving us bonkers. Hayden's like, I think we should set the cut up again, and I'm like, no, she's always been a low need sleeper. I feel like this is will run into the same issue is six once.
Speaker 2: And it's dangerous.
Speaker 3: If they can climb out of her, that's my whole thing I think would be the danger aspect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that would now be her Emma.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm not staying in here, Yeah, stay in beds anymore.
Speaker 3: And you know what it does, change, sleep changes all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just got to get through it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's that transition phase, so of moving from a cot to a bed, and for the first couple of months or first couple of weeks, usually it's fine.
Speaker 2: You're like, what's everyone talking about? It's not a problem.
Speaker 3: But they click and they're like, I can get out of my bed whenever I want.
Speaker 1: Because we did it with Ray, it's actually a non issue because he's a bit older. You can understand it actually just worked like he's fine. But Posey is two and a half, which I think would bear around the average age moved to beds. We should actually pull that one day. I'd be interested because one of my friends had to move her daughter into a bed at one because she was already starting to climb out.
Speaker 2: I mean, skill, I'm impressed world one day.
Speaker 1: But yeah, with Right, it's been less of an issue because I feel like he's a little bit more I don't know, mature, quote unquote, but Posey's just like, this is sick. I love her I'm coming to see your mother and dirt, and then she still wake you up really early.
Speaker 2: So that's my big kid bed update.
Speaker 1: A poem that I want to read, and I need to start by saying, obviously, a lot of the time we can't help our need to rush.
Speaker 2: I'm not speaking of paid.
Speaker 1: Work days particularly and when you need to be in office with the poem about to read out. But it was pretty fortuitous. The other night, four of us had a drink. One of my friends is a psychologist, and I was saying to her. I was talking about the psychology of like even on our home day, getting the kids in the car after swimming, for example, Yeah, we have nowhere that we actually need to be, but I'm like seething with like please get in the car, and I'm trying so hard not to be but You're like, it's so ingrained in us to rush. I think that you're just like I literally feel like I'm about to fizz out, like bubbles are about to come out of my head. I'm like, get in the fucking car. And then I'm like, why are you trying to get them in the car. We don't need to be anywhere, So I want to read out this poem for these for those days. Again, I'm not trying to guilt you into never rushing on a workday.
Speaker 2: People.
Speaker 1: Please don't be like, oh, that's unhelpful. This is for your weekends. It's for your times where you have nowhere to be and that you still rush. It's called Hurry, and it's by Marie Howe. We stop at the dry cleaners and the grocery store and the gas station and the green market, and hurry up, honey, I say, hurry, as she runs along two or three steps behind me, her blue jacket unzipped and her socks rolled down. Where do I want her to hurry to? To her grave, to mine where one day she might stand or groan? Today, when all the errands are finally done, I say to her, Honey, I'm sorry I keep saying hurry.
Speaker 2: You walk ahead of me.
Speaker 1: You be the mother, and hurry up, she says over her shoulder, looking back at me, laughing. Hurry up, now, darling, she says, hurry, hurry, taking the house keys from her hands, taking the house keys from my hands. I fucking love that poem. Yeah, I love the sentiment. I know you're not as into that sort of speak.
Speaker 2: Actual stuff as me, but it literally made me slow down the next day.
Speaker 1: So on a Thursday, Ray has a weird half day of Kinder that starts at twelve thirty. Yes, Posey's got a full childcare day, but I don't tend to work in that morning unless Hades is home and.
Speaker 2: I'll go off for a workday. But if it's me on that day, I don't.
Speaker 1: I only work top three to three the normally because of what you pay for child care and whatnot. I'm like still stressed about getting her there. But yesterday I didn't wear the best morning ever yet of a ten thirty, and I was like, sometimes we actually do need the reminder to slow down.
Speaker 2: So there's mine to yours. I love. I'll give you some good news.
Speaker 3: Good news are Perth building firm Indigo Commercial advertised for five new laborers and got over two thousand, seven hundred applications for five jobs. And the reason they offered six hour shifts built around school hours legends.
Speaker 2: Oh we love you.
Speaker 3: Let go give this company an absolute call out, and I want to call out the CEO too. Tasha Watkins designed the shift so that you could pick your pattern, drop the kids off, and news after school care in the afternoon, or do the morning care and pick up run or cover both drop off and pick up yourself.
Speaker 2: What a legend. And she didn't dream this up in the boardroom.
Speaker 3: She said her whole view on workplace flexibility changed after she became a mum.
Speaker 2: She's got two hundred two.
Speaker 3: Eighteen years in the industry, and she basically said, knowing what I know about this industry, I wouldn't apply it for a blue collar roll myself. So and I love this line. She went, well, this is broken and it needs to be fixed.
Speaker 2: And this is how do you know what I.
Speaker 1: Love most about what is ostensibly just full of stuff to love is that it's hiring laborers, like it's not necessarily a female center job or what we consider to be the work of women, which I just fucking love your legend, Tata.
Speaker 2: I hope you hear this. You're a great woman, You're a leader in your community, you are We love you. We do. Now let's get into it, my friend. How much do we value caregiving wrong? How much do we value them? Great question?
Speaker 3: A while back I did a segment on teachers and it went absolutely gangbusters brilliant, And today I want to talk about nurses. A friend of mine who has a parent in aged care rang the other day and she was just done over.
Speaker 2: It, had enough.
Speaker 3: And as she was talking, she said, the staffer wonderful, as in, they genuinely are amazing, but there's just never enough of them. So she said, it's like one nurse for an entire war. You've got people that are capable. I mean, they're not in palliative care, but there's obviously a lot of needs from older people. So whether it's like helping them get out of bed or helping them stand up, happing them go to the bathroom, you know, there's general things, yeah, fine things, Yeah, lots of different requests. And I think she'd probably spent about fifteen minutes trying to ask for someone for help. I think it was showering her dad, maybe just for some support. And she just said it took so long. She said, what is going on here?
Speaker 2: That's so hard? Yeah, And so it gave me a bit of time.
Speaker 3: It was a question that she said around how amazing the staff are, but how the system just isn't built to support them.
Speaker 2: Much like childcare, right, yeah, absolutely right.
Speaker 3: So I decided to do a little bit of digging, and I was gobsmacked at some of this stuff, so I'm really excited to share it. So this is a federal Department of Health and Aged Care, their nursing Supply and Demand study. They are projecting that by twenty thirty five, Australia will be short more than it's seventy thousand full time nurses. So my word, yeah, that's nearly and in reality that's probably more. So that's more likely to be eighty thousand people because a lot of nurses work part time, yes, and the worst hit part hospitals, acute care, the places you go when it's an emergency, So these places will be short more than twenty six thousand nurses.
Speaker 1: That's actually terrifying for whatever about emergency workers in that context.
Speaker 3: And then there's primary healthcare, then aged care, which is exactly where my friend's parent is sitting right now. So I thought I knew the whole story about nursing. I was like, oh, it's obviously because people don't want to do that anymore, maybe the pay shit. I'm actually wrong, which is surprising. Figures from the Department of Education say that more people are signing up to become nurses, so the nursing degree enrollments have gone up about seven percent over the last decade.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is a brilliant start and I never would have predicted it.
Speaker 3: Yeap more than twenty thousand new starters a year, while teaching degrees for comparison dropped by nearly fourteen percent.
Speaker 2: I honestly would have guessed the way around.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I knew that teaching degrees had dropped for sure, because the worst I had.
Speaker 2: To pick one of them, I would have thought.
Speaker 3: I would have thought that if both of them have dropped, Yeah, like there, I would have thought, oh, you know what, across the board.
Speaker 2: Across the board.
Speaker 3: So when we kind of dig into the starter, it means that recruitment's obviously not a problem. More people wanting to become a nurse. People are obviously putting their hands up, so then we train them, but then we obviously burn them out and then they walk. It's a leaky bucket, and you cannot fix a leaky bucket by pouring more water in the top. So this brings me to my DMS. Late last year, the new South Wales government did a pay deal with the police. It is a male dominated field. They averaged a rise of twenty six percent over four years in New South Wales has made them the best paid cops in the country. So the very next day up to ten thousand nurses and midwives walked off the job. This is because they are the lowest paid in the country and what did they end up getting through the industrial umpire nominal rises? It landed below inflation in real terms, a paid cut, essentially while being told that they're not allowed to strike.
Speaker 2: Are you not allowed to do that again? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I just want to put this figures side by side. Police overwhelmingly male workforce twenty six percent pay rise. Nurses overwhelmingly female workforce are pay cut.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so depressing.
Speaker 3: Yep, And the nurses union said it flat out, female dominated unions are being left behind. How does that make you feel? When I put those two figures by side by side, I.
Speaker 1: Feel really really emotional right now, Like my eyes are a little tiniest bit wet.
Speaker 2: That makes me really sad. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It just goes to show how fucking pervasive, like the infiltration of undervaluing care work goes.
Speaker 2: Anything that's related.
Speaker 1: To care work, which is female's care work, feminized care work is always undervalued, and I'm like, when are we actually going to see meaningful change.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's really sad because I remember, specifically in twenty twenty after COVID, everyone was giving emergency workers nurses standing ovations like you are the crux of the country. You're doing so much good. Yeah, and they're the heart and soul of communities yep. And then six years on they're getting paid absolute peanuts.
Speaker 1: I know I always say this, but it always reminds me of the idea of what we call mums, superwomen and superheroes.
Speaker 2: But then we don't actually give them the infrastructure to do.
Speaker 1: Parenting well and in a way that makes them feel healthier and looked after.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This is just another example of that. Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 3: And it goes to show just how much women's work gets undervalued caring for people, keeping them alive. We treat it as a calling something women do out of love, oh, which I see all the time. Well said, And I also do want to say nursing is one of the most mun friendly careers going around. They often a lot of nurses that I know often talk about the flexibility, which in turn isn't actually that flexible because a lot of them are working overnights, yes, and.
Speaker 2: People like the specific start and finish times to those shifts, so like the the.
Speaker 1: Hours might sometimes work out okay, Yeah, they might roster you okay, but it's still like I have to be like I can't be late and I can't leave when I want to.
Speaker 3: I went back and asked our audience, what job do you think is underpaid for? How much it matters the amount of responses to this, teaching childcare, paramedics, nurses, everything care related mothers.
Speaker 2: Which I absolutely loved, I mean goes without.
Speaker 3: Saying vets, physios, GPS, pending structures. There's a lot of interesting one about GPS. Actually that's really interesting and what they're really paid, which I might do another deep dove into that because I found that absolutely fascinating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I feel like that's quite an even like I'd also be interested, like because in my mind GP's are pretty fifty to fifty in terms of female male.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so's junior doctors criminally underpaid. It is so so bad, especially in New South Wales's. I had so many comments it was like outrageous. And then the next question that I asked was, if you know somebody who's a nurse, Like, why are they slogging themselves if they're not getting any pay rise?
Speaker 2: What is it all for?
Speaker 3: The answers that I got actually want to read them because they are so beautiful. And the next time you think about your friends who might be in care giving roles, please make sure you remind them of the important work that they're doing. Because even though a lot of these people might not necessarily say that they're in it for the money because they obviously aren't getting paid peanuts, the responses around why they do it is goosebump worthy. I want to read you some because they're so beautiful. Okay, So most people don't know that we are dealing with patients in the sickest stage of their life and on top of that, supporting their families. Most people don't know that we need amazing negotiating skills at the time to deal with a mentally ill patient or non compliant patient to keep them safe. Most people don't know that we are super excited by a bowel movement or you're an output. Most people don't know that sometimes we don't get out on time, even when we've been on a twelve.
Speaker 2: Year hour shift.
Speaker 3: It is such a great job by making an impact every single day. I've just got the threat of all I know. It's so beautiful. We really do help people in their most vulnerable states. We often give away ourselves to help others. This means long hours, holidays, missing special occasions, and family time. We do not get paid enough for what we do, but I would never change it. The average nurse would not even earn anywhere near one hundred thousand.
Speaker 2: Dollars per year.
Speaker 3: We do all of the doctor's work and we do not get paid anywhere need the equivalent for it, but I would not change it for the world. Like some of these people, this is the last one I want to leave you with because I think this is so beautiful.
Speaker 2: I love when you're very me right now. I know, gotcha, it's really validating. Okay, So here's one way more.
Speaker 3: This is from an oncology pediatric nurse.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, fuck yeah.
Speaker 3: Nursing means holding moments of profound grief and loss and moments of routine care with the same level of attention and compassion.
Speaker 2: We move between them without pause.
Speaker 3: Often I get so emotional reading this, often without time to process this weight built up over time. It's so beautifully read.
Speaker 2: I had to read it because I just think, obviously I'm emotional because I've had no.
Speaker 1: Sleep, but I do think emotional about that. Imagine going that low.
Speaker 2: Also, so many of these I lose my mind. Can you imagine doing that? Am I'm not losing my mind?
Speaker 3: But I do think when you have him in it, And obviously we've had a few times. We've had six children over the last year as of you, but I do think when you get a moment, if you do know of people in those caregiving roles, please tell them what an important role they're doing. Because when I had this conversation with my friend about her parents, which was so unbelievably sad like listening to her, when I dug more into the stats around it, I honestly think, as a society, where are we heading. We keep saying that after AI, the most important skills are going to be human skills, and yet all of the jobs that we have in those areas are so.
Speaker 2: Undervalued and underpaid.
Speaker 1: You've also just made me realize since having kids, I always tell my me and my friends how amazing they are, but I don't often extend that same gratitude to my nurse friends.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to do that.
Speaker 3: Well, there you go, just a little mind emotional part for me today because I've got all the feels at the moment, my hormones, homos all over the place.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's an interesting day when the girl I love.
Speaker 1: To say it onto the next segment, Ready or not very unofficial State of working Motherhood midyear report LOSSI we're pretty much smack bang in the middle of the year. I wanted to get a temperature check. How are the work and mum's feeling, What are they thinking about? How many kids to most of the people that listen to our show have, does that line up with how many kids they thought they'd have.
Speaker 2: There's a lot to get through, and of course we're going to gamify.
Speaker 1: It, so there'll be a bit of a love this yes sink and I want you to butt in a lot.
Speaker 2: I can discuss whatever comes up as I'm reading these.
Speaker 1: Okay, So question number one is I have dot dot dot zero kids, which also fell under the bucket of either considering kids, trying to conceive it, pregnant, second option one kid, third option two kids, fourth option three kids are over the fourth option not lining up with the Number four is weirm out.
Speaker 2: But the fourth option is three kids are over. What do you think is the most common?
Speaker 3: Crazy enough like me to have more than two children? I would say probably most have two.
Speaker 2: You are bang on, my friend.
Speaker 1: Forty nine percent of our community and the people polled have two kids.
Speaker 2: There were literally thousands of votes across the board. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So to give you a sense of the scale, I guess one kid is thirty nine percent.
Speaker 2: Three kids are.
Speaker 1: Over was actually ten percent, which I honestly got to be a little bit, and zero kids was two percent. So there you go, audience. I always wonder how many people are in the TTC such considering world.
Speaker 2: Yep, there you go.
Speaker 1: Next question, I am dot dot dot partnered mostly happily, which I know sounded grim but not laughed at that.
Speaker 2: People are like, yeah, it rocks the relationship.
Speaker 1: Next one was solo mum by choice, Next one was have been through a breakup as a parent, and last one was in a relationship I'm not happy in What do you think one out there?
Speaker 2: Oh? I really hope a one out it? Did it? Actually a lot?
Speaker 1: I hope it went out by a lot. It was ninety four percent. Honestly, like I thought it'd be about eighty. I probably didn't predict ninety four. So yeah, I'm happy that people are mostly happy.
Speaker 2: Solo mum.
Speaker 1: By choice was one percent. That's going to sound more lonely than it was. That a lot of people peached that. There was just a lot of people that led on that.
Speaker 3: I know so many people now who are in their very late there his early forties, so had to yeah, embark on it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Four love it, which I know that it sounds like a really small number, but for my immediate.
Speaker 1: Group, yeah, generation ago, Yeah, solo mother, My choice wasn't I know all about it.
Speaker 3: I think it's freaking phenomenal as long as you've got a good village.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I am all for it. Couldn't agree more. Being through a breakup as a parent was one percent. Again, for anyone that's in that boat that's reading that stat that is more people than you realize.
Speaker 2: Yes, and in a.
Speaker 1: Relationship, I'm not happy in that one particularly broke my heart.
Speaker 2: That was three percent. Oh, that's sad.
Speaker 1: It's really hard if partnered iron dot dot dot less than my partner, similar to my partner, more than my partner.
Speaker 2: What do you think? One? Oh?
Speaker 3: God, I mean probably less than my partner I think would have won out, but I feel like similar is a contender.
Speaker 2: I think it's up and coming.
Speaker 1: It nearly became fifty to fifty if you included similar and more than versus less, which made me feel good. So less than my partner was the winner at fifty one percent. Similar to my partner was twenty two percent, and more was twenty five percent. So last twenty five is forty seven versus fifty one percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two percent.
Speaker 1: We'll just hear Frances if anyone's like, hey, that don't mappen. So that's pretty even across.
Speaker 2: That is pretty great. I was pretty happy with that.
Speaker 1: Next up, the division of labor feels if partnered completely even aka fifty to fifty, not fifty to fifty but fair for us, completely unfair, and I'm sick of it. Or here Frances with the other option again, just so you know why the maths.
Speaker 2: Doesn't work out.
Speaker 3: Oh God, I want to say, fifty to fifty might have won.
Speaker 2: Not fifty to fifty, but fair for us. Okay, so for us? Yeah, so, which I think is fine.
Speaker 1: Like we're dealing with gender pay gaps, we're dealing with all sorts of pressures.
Speaker 2: If it feels fair for your situation, then it's fine. That's great. Yeah, it's what works for you.
Speaker 1: Yes, completely, Even splash fifty fifty was seventeen percent.
Speaker 2: So not fifty f was good. I have to say, yeah. Yeah, And if people.
Speaker 1: Are genuinely finding that dynamic fair sixty like sixty percent of the people plus were coupled with that, great, it's not.
Speaker 2: The worst start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, eighteen percent of people said completely I'm fair sick of it, which.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we get all beat in buckets like that. I also think it oscillates. There are some days when I'm like this is bullshit, and then other days when I feel like Ryan's where we're like this is bullshit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting, isn't it. I feel like taking the piss of likely. Yeah, Like I'm mindful of it. I'm really mindful of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But early motherhood particularly is a hard time for tax.
Speaker 1: If you gave birth and you're feeding your baby, that in and of itself, on a bad.
Speaker 2: Day, you can feel Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I don't like it for the people that are in that situation. I want to see that number come down, but I reckon it'll be lower than it would have ten years agreed. Next up, Growing up, I wanted dot dot dot zero kids, one kid, two kids, three.
Speaker 2: Plus kids, three plus kids. That would have won.
Speaker 3: Everyone wanted the family dream, happy, fair, given what the fuck?
Speaker 1: So forty seven percent of people wanted three plus, forty two percent of people wanted two, thirty percent wanted one, and eight percent wanted zero. So that was another interesting thing. I know that's not that high, but again, it was a lot of votes for zero kids. It's also interesting on that and being like I thought, I didn't want kids, but what does I tell you about what we were brought out as children?
Speaker 3: Does that not? Are you not fascinated by that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I'm really babe. That's why I put up as a.
Speaker 3: Pub I think interesting, so interesting.
Speaker 1: Especially when you compare it with let's yeah, next slide. So remembering here that the two highest chances were forty seven percent for three plus kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two kids was forty two. So next up.
Speaker 1: Now we're getting too Now I want to slash think I can handle either emotionally, logistically financially. I also meant to add fertility to this, which I had to do, so I'm sorry to anyone that that might have sat with, But I did mean to add that or all of the above for these reasons. I now want or think I can manage zero kids, one kid, two kids, three or more kids.
Speaker 2: Do you think you want a two kids? Sixty one percent said two.
Speaker 1: Kids, Yes, three plus kids was twenty three percent, So that literally halved, which is interesting from what they thought they wanted. Yes, and I'm in that bucket like I thought I'd have three or four kids. Yeah, now I think two is probably really stick for me. One kid was fourteen percent, Zero kids was two percent.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Next up, how many days a week do you engage in paid work one to two days, three to four days of five days, or on a career pause?
Speaker 2: What do you think? One out, three to four bang on, my friend?
Speaker 1: That was nearly half of the audience at forty eight percent. Five days came out second at twenty five percent. One to two days was third at eight percent, and on a career pause was nineteen percent of our audience. We actually recorded an episode recently where someone was talking about feeling guilty for wanting.
Speaker 2: To work full time.
Speaker 1: Yes, twenty five percent of our audience are doing it. My friend, go hear that start. Does your workplace genuinely support working families?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, I was shocked by this and I actually don't believe this. Yes, yes, six, I.
Speaker 2: Mean that's amazing.
Speaker 3: I've had the most incredible experience in my workplace, as in I couldn't give more glowing reviews, and it has really changed the way I think about other workplaces. It depends where you work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also like what the definition of genuine is, Like I should have put more guardrails around that, because it's like one person's idea of a flexible workplace is different to others, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think it depends the size of your workplace.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: To be honest, if you're working in a large workplace and there's no flexibility.
Speaker 2: I would what are you doing? What are they doing?
Speaker 3: I also think, I mean, I know that there's a big what's it called redolantly everybody's making people redundant?
Speaker 2: What's the word?
Speaker 3: Big firing thing happening at a moment, what do you call it? It's a great exit, that's what.
Speaker 2: We're calling it. From a podcast of Working Monster, I'm really having a week.
Speaker 3: But at the same stage, everyone is fighting for good talent and good talent wants good benefits and.
Speaker 1: That's hard to finn Yep. What's your biggest challenge at the moment in making work? First option is carrying everything for everyone all the time? Second, unsupportive team, Third, no village slash family support. Fourth, lost ambition slash don't care about work.
Speaker 2: Oh god, that's a tricky one, isn't it. A lot of people DMed me all of the above, and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, sorry, I had to pull that option out of these because everyone just picked her.
Speaker 2: Yes, I actually probably.
Speaker 3: I mean, it hurts me to say, but I do think the village might be a high one.
Speaker 2: So that came out second.
Speaker 1: So fifty one percent was carrying everything for everyone all the time, which, yeah, so that's half out. That's hard in this pool. Then no village slash family support was twenty four percent. Yeah, Lost ambition slash don't care about work was twenty two percent.
Speaker 2: Gosh, that's high.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and unsupportive team was lower than I thought at three percent.
Speaker 2: That's great. I take that as a positive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, not many people picked that is your workplace big on implementing AI big time sort of not.
Speaker 2: Really sort of.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of companies are trialing it. It has a lot of risk with AI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thirty eight percent, sort of thirty two percent big time, not really twenty nine percent.
Speaker 2: You could say that was almost so even across.
Speaker 3: Can I just say all of these companies that are making enormous redundancies and saying everything's going to get replaced by AI. AI is so unpredictable and it is so hard to train to look and feel.
Speaker 2: Like your company.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean that could be wrong, but I think what's happened is that they've made these really deep cuts, assuming that you better to do a massive cut of everyone at the same time and then you can rehire later, and assuming that everything will go eighty percent of plan.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of companies are.
Speaker 3: Thinking to themselves, oh shit, I'm going fifty percent plan and suck shit to their hotel. Well, they're going to h in three this time, they'll have to do a whole new hiring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd be interesting to say. How do you feel about using AI at work?
Speaker 2: Love it? Big? Adopt not good, Refuse to use it not good?
Speaker 1: But feel like I have to use it neither here nor there tbh?
Speaker 2: I reckon TBH.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, neither here nor there was thirty nine percent. Yeah, love it, big adopt I was thirty five percent. Yeah obviously broke bart not good, but feel like I have to use it was eighteen percent. I actually thought that would be like a third of the audience that's interesting and not good refused to use it was eight percent, which I'm not surprised was lowest because that's really hard, Like you've got to be pretty bold to take that line of work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hard, I do think though, even with AI and the Webbace, like I can only go off my experience. It's very limited in what you can use it for and deal with.
Speaker 2: I love to hear that, thank you for telling me.
Speaker 3: But it is because a lot of companies have enormous risk. Like if you're a company that has customer details, payment details, private information.
Speaker 1: Have you seen that trend people like updating their finances into it?
Speaker 3: You absolutely can't do it, and my god, do not do it. Eighty percent, I would say, or more of large corporates. There's no way everything's locked.
Speaker 1: So I am in more personal use, but even that just wrigs me out, Like the people are putting their finances into.
Speaker 2: A everyone puts everything into AI everything.
Speaker 3: It's so depressed, absolutely everything.
Speaker 2: Have you been made redundant while I'm parentally well. I was like you asked me.
Speaker 3: Or asking the people, what were the things yes say no? Yeah, okay, yes, no. I would say majority would be no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but much higher than I thought, which will take as a win because we've got so many dms about this. Yeah, ninety three percent of people said no. The vote for yes was still hundreds and hundreds of people. Yeah, only seven percent yes said.
Speaker 3: I think that probably is probably Yeah.
Speaker 1: I guess one DM stands out more than a whole pole two thousands. Yes. If I could change one thing for mum's slash families, it'd be.
Speaker 2: I actually want me. You to tell me what you would change first, and then guess.
Speaker 1: Okay, better government, parental leave, even expectations on mum and dad work hours to match school hours, broader use of childcare, subsidy.
Speaker 3: Number one hard Okay, So I'm going to say no to that one, and I'll give my reasoning behind each parental leave. I think absolutely could be better, but it's a very specific time in your life. Yeah, so I'm going to say no to that. What was the next one?
Speaker 1: The next one was genuinely even expectations on mum and dad, so society and everything.
Speaker 3: I think that most likely, longer term, that would solve so many problems, but it's obviously the hardest to solve.
Speaker 1: What was the next one, But we're in an idealist world, so if you want to pick it, you can.
Speaker 2: Okay. It was like we'll make it work, yeah in this pretend. Yeah. The next one was work hours that match school hours.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I think that would be fantastic, love that would make an enormous difference. But I still think what you'd be seeing is that I don't know, men would probably find ways to fill the rest of the day and women would still be doing drop off and pick up.
Speaker 2: I hate to say it, but I think that might across the board. You're probably right if you look at the broader popular I mean, I could be wrong, because I would not be one of those women.
Speaker 1: I would be I feel my day day and then broader use of.
Speaker 3: Childcare up a moment in time. So I'm going to say be for the biggest systemic.
Speaker 1: I couldn't agree more was he and that only got thirteen percent of them because it's.
Speaker 3: So it feels so far fetched.
Speaker 2: It feels so unattainable, but yeah, I get it.
Speaker 1: People are picking something that feels a bit more really Yeah, because as you say, work hours matching school hours in this society would still mean mums are scrambling to get things done in work hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to then get their cure. I think good.
Speaker 3: I mean it would leave you our fuck lot of pressure though, would it'd be great?
Speaker 1: And I was way of life that it creates, right that everyone's working a bit less, like I think that would be lovely for everyone's So workouts matching school hours was fifty five percent. Next was better government parental leave. That's eighteen percent. Given that nearly twenty percent of these polars are on parental leave, that definitely adds a layer here because these people are thinking parental.
Speaker 2: Leave for sure, and it makes me difference, Yeah, huge difference and sets things up as we know in the home.
Speaker 1: Thirteen percent each for both even expectations on mum and dad and broader use of childcare subsidy. I then asked the people and navigating work and motherhood is dot dot dot harder than I expected, easier than I expected?
Speaker 2: What I expected harder?
Speaker 1: Seventy eight percent fid so sorry for our pregnant.
Speaker 3: One person that said it's easier, I actually haven't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even when the small amount of people voted easier, I was like, who are these people?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: Actually, I would put myself in that bucket for my first kid. I would say with Siena, I found the transition to work pretty.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 3: I've like I didn't find it hard. Yeah, sorry, too bad. I used to think, what are these people complaining about? It's not that hard?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really not.
Speaker 3: But that was also because I had full flexibility of work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, full.
Speaker 3: I had no requirements to be in the office. I mean there was like if you can come in yeah, and I did because I loved it. But now that we're going back to the in office mandate, yes, I'm finding it incredibly difficult.
Speaker 1: And as we discover the bigger kids, bigger problems, all of that stuffs in school b blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, seventy eight percent for harder than I expected, twenty percent for what I expected, and two percent for easier than expected. And the last question here, Lozzie, the most helpful piece of advice I've ever heard on navigating work and motherhood is can you tell us yours?
Speaker 2: I say this all the time.
Speaker 3: It's so boring, but and you've heard me say it's time so many times and I just absolutely hate it. But I always think, don't change it, you choose it.
Speaker 2: Love, love that. I'll give you a few of the answers.
Speaker 1: You cannot do it all at the same time, except that and do your best each day.
Speaker 2: I think that's fucking great advice.
Speaker 1: That comes from your friend Beth. Be kind to yourself. Some days it just won't work, enjoy the days that it does.
Speaker 2: That is that's the.
Speaker 1: Photographer absolute queen. Things will change but stay the same. I find that to be a really interesting piece of advice because it's so true, like your life feels totally different. But then you go into the obviously you're like, oh I can do this. Yeah, things are sort of the same. Yes, So it's a real mix of those two worlds. No one has it completely figured out. You're doing much better than you think. Yeah, marking love that.
Speaker 2: Have you ever read the book wing It?
Speaker 3: Winging It or something I don't have to have to reread about just quickly and then bring something on that because I remember having this profound thing like perception is reality.
Speaker 2: No one knows what the fuck they're doing.
Speaker 3: And the older I get and the deeper into my motherhood journey I get, and the more questions I get from my children, it's alarming.
Speaker 2: How to realize that, Yeah, no one.
Speaker 3: Really knows what they're doing. Everyone is doing their best.
Speaker 2: I see that so much.
Speaker 1: And even the questions I'll ask in a meeting now that I was too scared to ask ten years ago because I was too worried about looking dunt worries. And now I'm like, no one knows that, and I'm okay to look dumb. If someone that's someone a dumb assize what do I have?
Speaker 2: Strategies?
Speaker 3: Because everyone's trying to strategize what to do next next, putting together that strategy is probably also think.
Speaker 2: If you guys could tell me, that'd be great. I'll do it three more. This is a brilliant one.
Speaker 1: And again for our mum Guilt Dear Ready or Not episode recently, you'll love this. You still do plenty of parenting after you return to work, so the guilt thing isn't as bad.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I think it is so good. Something has to give and let's go for two more. You can't control everything, and you will surprise yourself on how much.
Speaker 2: You can achieve on little sleep. Oh my god, so true.
Speaker 3: But that's how I feel at the moment. I feel like I've had no sleep. Honestly, I'm coming to a year and I am just not myself. My hormones are all over the place. I mentally, I don't know what's going on with me.
Speaker 2: Anyway. If you have love today's episode, we need to end this episode. Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Please send us words of your encouragement. No, please follow us on Ready dot pod. Please leave us a review. We haven't had that many reviews in a while.
Speaker 1: Have I I've called out that we're five stars on both Apple and Spotify.
Speaker 2: I haven't. I Yeah you have. Yeah, that's if you are a hate listener.
Speaker 3: And sometimes I wonder what is it all for? And I read your reviews and it does give me a pep in my step. So please leave us a review.
Speaker 1: As a scene next week definitely had those moments slightly, I'm like, oh so yeah,