Speaker 1: Live on Sky News.
Speaker 2: This is Sharry.
Speaker 3: Thanks Andrew, Good evening, Welcome to the show. Tonight exclusive details of how Kevin Rudd has tried to draft Scott Morrison in to help him shore up support within the Trump administration. I'll also reveal that Chris Bowen has called Donald Trump the worst president in United States history. Well, Michael Kroger and Dave Sharma are fired up about this and they'll join me on the show. Also tonight, my exclusive interview with one of India's top government ministers. In the wake of Trump's win, he predicts global supply chains and trade will change forever. He also reveals the role India is playing in ending the Russia Ukraine War. On the show, the journalist who expose Tamasa's mistreatment of Palestinians destroying the left wing narrative, he'll join me live.
Speaker 4: And the Trump dance.
Speaker 3: That's taking hold across America, Well, we'll see if our panel Brodwin Bishop and Nick Cata can do the moves a little later. But first I can exclusively reveal that Kevin Rudd has tried to draft Scott Morrison in to help forge relationships with the Trump administration. There's even been discussion of an informal special Special Envoy roll. This comes as pressure mounts on Anthony Albanezi over his captain's call to appoint Rudd to the critical role of ambassador in Washington in a recognition that Rudd will struggle to build bridges with President Trump. He's been cultivating his own relationship with Scott Morrison over many months.
Speaker 4: He even launched his book in the US back in May.
Speaker 3: Multiple sources have told me that Rudd has been asking Morrison's assistance in dealing with the Trump team. My understanding is that Morrison won't give up his new business ventures. He's unlikely to accept any formal role as a special envoy that would mean representing the Albanese government, but he will help Rudd informally with ties to the Trump administration, particularly when it relates to Orcus and Australia's national interest. Clara O'Neill's former media advisor, Jason Katsukus, wrote an article in the left wing Saturday paper Back in June that said, and I quote. As the Albaneze government prepares for the possibility of a second term for Donald Trump, Scott Morrison is being considered as an informal envoy. But as I said, Morrison is unlikely to take on any formal role. He'll step in if it's in Australia's national interest. The Albaneze government has already relied on Morrison to help Rudd and Defense Minister Richard Miles seek assurances around Orcus with Trump and his core group, and Morrison has already acted as an informal ambassador.
Speaker 4: He's got a good relationship with Trump.
Speaker 3: He's one of the only Australians to have met with the President in the past year. But Peter Dutton today questioned whether Rudd's position as our ambassador was tenable.
Speaker 5: The ambassador has to have a functional, working relationship with the administration, whether that's a Democrat or Republican administration. Of course, it's not just mister Rudd. I mean, we're talking about mister Albanisi and Senator Wong and others in the Labor Party who have seen fit to criticize, to criticize President elect Trump.
Speaker 3: Our former ambassador to Israel, Dave Sharma, he's on my show tonight and he also questions whether Rudd's job as Washington ambassador is sustainable.
Speaker 6: More and more public commentary is emerging of him not just being mildly critical of Trump in his administration, but quite personally nasty and vindictive. And this is the person who'll be the president of the most important security strategic alliance partner of Australia.
Speaker 3: And that full interview coming up shortly. But given his past comments, Rudd should be the last person to be representing Australia's interests. Rudd described Trump as a village idiot in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 7: So as that changes in China's favor, and as the United States in the last four years has been run by a village idiot.
Speaker 3: We revealed that on the show last night. It's been in the news everywhere today. In the past, Rudd also said that Trump was not a leading intellectual.
Speaker 4: Force, and Donald as we know, is not.
Speaker 5: A leading intellectual force.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 5: He looked at a Trump rally and how many angry white men there are in those rallies.
Speaker 3: There were so many comments you wouldn't have enough time to play them all. And so this is what quite standably Donald Trump and his daughter in law Lara have said about Rudd so far.
Speaker 9: I don't know much about him. I heard he was a little bit nasty. I hear he's not the brightest bulb, but I don't know much about him. But if he's at all hostile, he will not be there long.
Speaker 10: It's a pretty tough comment to say, and I think that the problem oftentimes is when people say those things and don't have a change of heart. It's kind of hard to have a position like that where you'd want to keep someone who said such such nasty things about a person.
Speaker 3: And those Trump comments, of course, were from his interview with Nigel Farage back in March. And Trump's in a circle aren't going to be inclined to do rud any favors either.
Speaker 11: Ambassador Rudd should know that we got his number.
Speaker 9: He is trying to worm his way back into the good grace.
Speaker 2: Has been very critical President Trump in.
Speaker 3: The past, and that was an interview I did with Steve Bannon in February. There are claims that there have been discussions in labor circles about whether to shift Rudd to the role of Ambassador to the United Nations. Rudd would strongly resist such a move. It would be seen as a major demotion. Now, despite the crisis talks behind the scenes, Anthony Alberinezi and Penny Wong have publicly doubled down.
Speaker 2: They say they'll keep Rudd in the role.
Speaker 12: If hen Udd the.
Speaker 4: Writer in the US ambassador.
Speaker 6: Yes, he is a former prime minister, a former foreign minister.
Speaker 13: His experience and skills mean he will be able to work closely with whomever.
Speaker 3: But the truth is that Foreign Minister Pennywong never wanted to apport Rudd to this role. She never wanted him to be our ambassador in Washington. The Thin Review reported in March that mister Rudd was Alberizi's captain's pick for the Washington job, even though there were deep misgivings inside labor over the appointment. It's understood that Senator Wong, one of Albanese's closest confidants, was among those opposed. And now Pennywong has to publicly stand up and defend Kevin Rudd. And Rudd is now so out of touch with the Trump administration that he took Penny Wong and Richard Miles to see former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo thinking he was in Trump's inner group. But yesterday Trump went out of his way to publicly state that Pompeo wouldn't be part.
Speaker 4: Of his administration.
Speaker 3: But many in the Albernezer government probably agree with Rudd's views on Trump, and Chris Bowen is one of them.
Speaker 4: He wrote a book, well, you can't really call it a book.
Speaker 3: It's only forty pages long, so it's more like a pamphlet or a long pamphlet. He wrote this in twenty twenty one. It's called On Charlatan's and in it he writes Donald Trump was the worst.
Speaker 2: President in United States history.
Speaker 3: His incoherent response to the COVID pandemic has cost hundreds of thousands of lives. He clearly put narcissistic self interest ahead of his country. That's Chris Bowen saying Donald Trump was the worst president in US history. And he also writes in this long pamphlet that he knew how to beat the likes of Donald Trump. Chris Bowen he even compared him with the Nazi known as German Fox.
Speaker 4: This is from Chris Bowen's book.
Speaker 3: He wrote that Bernard Montgomery famously kept a picture of Erwin Rummel on his caravan wall as he fought at Alamaine, so he had a constant reminder that he had a formidable foe and to help him meditate on what the opponent would do next.
Speaker 4: Chris Bowen writes, we don't need.
Speaker 3: Pictures of Scott Morrison or Trump or John on our wall, but we do need to be able to war game their moves. He says, I have distilled their approach down to four principal tactics that sum up the key to their success at being Charlatan's. These are dishonesty is the best policy, identity politics on steroids, hyperpartisanship, and constant.
Speaker 4: Fear and loathing of climate change.
Speaker 3: I've approached both Kevin Rudd and Chris Vohln for comment, no response so far, but clearly that's how some senior ministers in the Albanese government feel about the new president of the United States. Now, Albanesi's first test will be ensuring that in Australia we're exempt from the ten percent tariffs that Trump has said is imposing on countries around the world. But the issue is that Australia has no negotiating power With Rudd in the job, Rud is in no position to extract concessions for US. So Kevin Rudd is again putting himself above Australia's best interests and.
Speaker 4: That's the bottom line.
Speaker 3: Rudd is putting his own personal ambition, his ego, and his desire to live the ambassador's high life above Australia's national interest and the best interests of farmers, businesses and families. Well to discuss this, let's bring in now Victorian Liberal Party president, former Victoria Liberal Party President Michael Kroger and former Labor Minister Graham Richardson. Are welcome to you both. Well, Michael, you've been the strongest voice on this for over a week. Now, why do you think Rudd should either resign or be recalled by Anthony Albinezi.
Speaker 14: Well, you might say I'm the strongest voice, but I represent the views of nine to nine percent of people on the center in Australian politics. I think who completely agree Rudd must resign forthwith he's going to do a men's damage to Australia. Look at it this way, Shari. Donald Trump is going to appoint a new US ambassador to Australia in due course. If that ambassador was on the record saying that Anthony Albanesi, amongst all these other things, he said, Anthony Albanizi is a village idiot that ambassador. American ambassador comes to Australia. Albanize wouldn't see him. The Cabinet wouldn't see him, No one in the parliamentry Labor Party would see him, and no one in the opposition would see him. He would be a pariah and an outcasted last five minutes and the Americans would take him back. We're now stuck with the situation where everyone in America, because it's been on the front page your stories that others has been on the front page of the New York Times. Every politician America, every American Republican senator, member, the House of Reps, the White House, the business community, every governor, everyone in the political sphere in America knows about Rudd. He will be a harriah in America. He will be immensely damaging to Australia's interest. He will not get through the front door anywhere. And you'd look go back to two am Joe Hockey when Trump was trying to put steel tariffs around the world twenty fives and steel tariffs. Hockey and the team at the time moved heaven and Earth. And because of Australia's great relationships with the Americans and with Trump, they are able to stop those tariffs. Fast forward to today, Kevin Rudd won't get through the front entrance of the White House, nor the front entrance of Congress.
Speaker 3: And why should Trump, as United States President, be expected to deal with someone who's called him a village idiot. It wasn't just a one off comment. This is a pattern of behavior over several years.
Speaker 4: Richo.
Speaker 3: Do you agree that his position is ultimately untenable?
Speaker 7: Absolutely. I think it's ridiculous having him in the job, and I think he's got to if he can't realize it himself, and my sense of him always is he'll never realize it himself, then you've got a saki. You have no choice.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 7: Elbow likes him, He's been a friend of Elbow's. I think Elbow's about his only friend, but he is a pretty important one. But I think Alba is just going to have to make the big decision and get rid.
Speaker 3: Of him, I mean, Richard, very quickly. It must be so frustrating for the likes of Penny Wong. She's Foreign Minister, she never wanted him as ambassador, and she's having to be out there every day defending right.
Speaker 7: Oh, it must be awful for her because we all know what she really thinks of him, which is what the rest of us think of him, and that's not very good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Well, it was bad news for Green's leader Adam Bannt this morning, and support for the Greens is plummeting. It's dropped to its lowest level since February. This is a survey from Resolve Political Monitoring and it shows that Michael not surprising to any of us, but voters disagree with the Greens on negative gearing, on capital gains tax and on Palestinian recognition. So, Michael, we still have the issue of preferences with Labor. They haven't come out and said they're not going to preference the Greens. Doesn't there need to be more pressure on Albanizi over this?
Speaker 14: Well, of course Albanzi needs to say he's not going to preference the Greens in every seat in this country. I mean, you know, let's be clear about this. This is Albanese's decision. There are twenty one members of the Federal Executive, the Labor Party, ten right, ten left in him. He has the casting vote. He can direct the federal director of the Labor Party to not preference the Greens or not preference the Greens in every seat. Surely there are some seats where he's going to preference the Liberals over some of the more extremist Greens. But what we've seen on the congratulations, the age, on their revelation on this this morning, you know what's happened in this country. I think the Greens vote has topped out because it's no longer fashionable for young people to support the Greens. And the reason is young people being told all their lives that racism is one of the worst things you can be accused of. And all of the Jewish hatred around the Green movement and their allies and hangers on as proof Palestinian move which is not anti Jewish, well, there's too much Jewish hatred emanating from these circles around the Green movements, and this has meant a lot of young people don't want have anything to do with the Greens anymore. It is no longer fashionable for young people to be involved with a movement that is full of Jewish hatred. And that's why I think the Greens have topped out. People think They're not an environmental party. They're an extremist bunch.
Speaker 3: I mean, the party has changed so much rito from when it did used to be an environmental party, as Michael just said, under.
Speaker 7: Bob Brown, well, under Brown, they used to care about trees. They never mentioned trees in this modern era ever. You never hear them talk about the environment. They have certainly become the far left of Australia and they're a pretty ugly looking bunch.
Speaker 3: We've been speaking a lot about on this show about the Albanese government's decision to put a billion dollars of tax pay funds in the PSI Quantum supercomputed deal. Now big news today in This Astralian that the Chris of Foley government in Queensland is going to review their stake in this. They could even revoke their four hundred and seventy million dollar investment.
Speaker 4: Michael.
Speaker 3: Their conflict of interest in this, the involvement of labor mates is immense. And again there's the question of why should a billion dollars of Australian taxpayer funds go into a startup when there are plenty of private equity firms arount.
Speaker 14: You know it shouldn't, nor should they be investing up to a billion dollars in solar panels, Sharry to compete against the Chinese. I mean, good luck with that. I mean, as you say, this is the job of the private sector. This is the job of venture capital firms and private equity firms here and overseas. I mean, if you try to ask any of those terms, would they invest in these proposals, the answer would be no. If you asked any Australia whether they'd lend money provide the debt facility to these firms, the answer would be no. This is this is very risky investments. The government shouldn't be making it, particularly at a time when the budget and the Australian debt is at record levels. And of course what they do is it's off balance sheet, so it doesn't appear in the in the you know, in the annual profit and loss. That's how they get away with these things. But the government shouldn't be doing this. This is not the job of the government to be a venture capitalist. They're not evel on Musk after all.
Speaker 4: I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 3: Look, the Auditor General has said that he'd consider an investigation that hasn't launched one yet. But rich O, you know the links have started to come out, the spider network of Labor.
Speaker 4: Connections to this.
Speaker 3: The process is so flawed the way this company had already met with Ed Hughesick well before any others got that sort of access. So you know, it is a good decision, isn't it That the Queensland l and P is now going to review their own funding.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is this is a crook. Look, it's not about that. No matter which way you look at it. It's ugly and I don't know how Labor ever got this far down track. But if everything was a time to turn around and go back right now, is that time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's going to be messy to even get out of given you know what that company, the side Quantum company would have told that are the shareholders, the.
Speaker 4: Decisions they would have made.
Speaker 3: It's going to be a very messy process from here on all right, Michael Kroger, Graham Richardson, So great to have you as always, Thank.
Speaker 14: You, Thanks Sherry.
Speaker 3: Now there is growing concern inside the Coalition, as we've been speaking about about Kevin Rudd remaining in the role as US ambassador after Donald Trump's win. Well, I spoke with Liberal Senator Dave Sharma about this. As you know, he was our ambassador to Israel and he knows well just how crucial diplomacy is to your host nation. Here's what he had to say, Dave Sharma, thank you very much for your time.
Speaker 6: Thank you good even nice to join you.
Speaker 3: Do you think at this point Kevin Rudd's position as our ambassador in Washington is untenable?
Speaker 6: Well, I think they're the right to be asking that question. I mean, he is more and more public commentary is emerging of him not just being mildly critical of Trump and his administration, but quite personally nasty and vidictive. And this is the person who will be the president of the most important security strategic alliance partner of Australia and administration he will have to work with for the next four years. And he's on the public record. And presumably there's more that will resurface in a way that Trump and his advisors cannot but help notice. And I don't think it's getting the new relationship off to a good footing that we've got an ambassador there who has been so critical, I mean Kevin Rud and his job, his most important customer, if you like, is the United States. His client is the government Australia. His customer is the United States government. And he's been going around bad mouthing the customer to all and Sundry, Uphill and down Dale. It's not a good place to start this relationship.
Speaker 3: So do you think this was an unwise decision by Anthony Albinezi because it has been described as a captain's pick.
Speaker 6: Well, I think at the time, Anthony ALBERIZI you know, he knew about not only Rudd's difficulties in working with other people, which is well documented in his downfall, but also these things he said about Trump. And there were many people who counseled against this choice, given the volume and the vitriol of Rudd's public commentary. But Anthony Alberanzi took that decision eyes wide open, and even at the time he was appointed. I mean, Trump was always and has always been a likely candidate for the Republican nomination and a presidential candidate. And the fact that he did this knowing that, you know, it raises serious questions about the judgment he exercised in making this appointment.
Speaker 3: I mean, Joe Hockey famously had an excellent relationship with Donald Trump. We know they played golf together, but Kevin Rudd has never met Donald Trump. Is this unusual for an ambassador in such a crucial posting with one of our closest allies.
Speaker 6: I find it remarkable. I mean, the job of any ambassador is to get to know all the political leaders, current and future in a country. When I was in Israel, I knew the opposition leaders, the leaders of all the political parties, the past prime ministers and all the future prime ministers. Now, why Kevin Rudd has not been able to or has not thought it worth his time to secure a meeting with Donald Trump. Why he did not take Penny Wong and Anthony Albanisi and Richard Marles to see Donald Trump? Just biggas belief. I mean, before George W. Bush became the president in two thousand, many senior Australian political figures had met him, and Andrew Peacock, our ambassador at the time, had a personal relationship with him.
Speaker 3: Now, back in February this year, you asked Penny Wong in Senate Estimates why Kevin Rudd's criticisms of Donald Trump still remained on his social media accounts. You pushed Penny Wong on this, they didn't remove them. Instead, they waited nine months before Kevin Rudd deleted his tweets. It's now become a big story. It's in the New York Times, made an even bigger issue, amplified the issue of his offensive remarks.
Speaker 2: Have taken your advice back in February.
Speaker 6: I think they should have, and I raised those concerns in good faith, thinking this is not very tenable for our ambassador to the United States to still have on their public record these remarks, and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Penny Wong was offhand and dismissive and said, yeah, we'll take a look at your suggestion. But as you point out, it took them until I think the day of the election in Australia Tuesday, Australian time, before they remove these tweets, and then, of course that becomes the story. The New York Times covers the story, which means the US media knows about it, which means all of Trump and He's inner circle knows about it. This is a much bigger problem than it needed to be because of the way that Kevin Rudd and this government have handled it.
Speaker 3: At this point, there are businesses and farmers across Australia who are relying on Rudd to extract a concession from the Trump administration to exempt us from the ten percent tariffs that he intends to impose internationally. Clearly, Kevin Right wouldn't be the best person to do this. Do you think he's putting his self interest ahead about national interest if he chooses to remain in the job.
Speaker 6: Well, this is something the government has to answer. I mean, the role of ambassador is bigger than any one individual's ambition or ego. They need to make sure the Alban Easy Labor government needs to make sure we've got the best ambassador in place who can work with the Trump administration and secure our national interests, whether it's exemptions from tariffs, whether it's the continuation of the Orcas submarine deal, whether it's a stronger US military and strategic presence in our region. And you've got to ask the question, you know, is Kevin rub the best person to do that?
Speaker 4: Is he putting his ego above the national interest? Well?
Speaker 6: I think but Labor by keeping him, then, certainly Alban Easy by appointing him, knowing all of this as allowed personal and other political considerations to influence what should have been a national interest appointment.
Speaker 3: Just before you go, I want to ask your view on the scenes we've seen in Amsterdam, firstly on Thursday night, but then again aggressive and violent protests last night. You know, these sort of scenes are being replicated the world over.
Speaker 4: How worried are you about this?
Speaker 6: I'm very worried. I was shocked by those scenes from Amsterdam, but it doesn't take much imagination to envisage something similar happening in Australia, and we've already seen mobs out of control, rioting, burning of flags, chanting of slogans in Australia. I just I mean, it shocks me that anti Semitism has reached these levels, that we're seeing things that we thought we'd left behind in nineteen thirties Europe. But I think it's also a reminder to governments around the world and law enforcement around the world that they have to take a zero tolerance approach to these sorts of activities. They need to make arrests, they need to make charges, and they need to make utterly clear in their public statements that this sort of action targeting a group of individuals because of their religion or nationality is completely and utterly unacceptable.
Speaker 4: Completely agree, Dave Sharma. Great to have you.
Speaker 3: Here, Thanks so much, and still to come make exclusive interview with one of India's top government ministers. I press him on their relationship with Russia. Plus, has Albanezi asked the WA Premier to shift the state election date.
Speaker 4: Well, it certainly looks like it.
Speaker 3: I'm going to talk about that with Bronwyn Bishop and Nick Cata next, welcome back. Well, let's bring in now senior fellow at the Menzies Research Center, Nick Cater and former Speaker of the House Bronwyn Bishop.
Speaker 4: Welcome to you both, Great to see you.
Speaker 3: Now it looks like Anthony ALBANIZI might have asked the WA Premier, Roger Cook to bring forward the date of the WA state election. So Roger Cook has confirmed that he's had legal advice on whether he could change the March eight date of the WA state election. Now, unlike the federal election, the state election date in Wa is set well in advance.
Speaker 2: It was on March the eighth, and now.
Speaker 4: He's looking to move it.
Speaker 3: So Albanese's denying having any involvement, but the reports at least in the West Australian are that there has been a conversation that Albanese has asked Roger Cook to move the date, which means that he would be looking bronwin at having an earlier election, perhaps calling it on Australia Day and having it in March, maybe March eight.
Speaker 12: I've been saying all along there'll be an early election. There won't be another budget because the next one would be in deficit. They were ready to roll in December. That's why they had that speech all ready to go in Adelaide, and they had all the policies ready to jump and force all the legislation through. But things weren't looking too good for December, so it'll be, I would think, called just after Australia Day. So they can't they can't wait. They can't wait. It gets worse a lot better, I mean.
Speaker 3: Talking about Wa nick cata Wa was a disaster for the Coalition at the last election. Peter Dutton has been making a lot of visits to the state, but he needs to make up a lot of ground there.
Speaker 11: Yes, but I think he certainly will because when you know, you go to rock bottom, which is really where the Liberal party ended up there after the last election, then you know the only way is up. And this is one of the big problems of course for alberen Easy. He actually needs to increase his majority if he what stands the chance of running a stable government. He clearly is not going to do that. I mean, he's definitely going to lose. Every second term government or a temper, a seconding government loses seats, right, that's just what happens. That's what's happened since you know, certainly since World War Two. So he's going to lose seats. He'll lose seats in way I think, And so I can see why he's very sensitive about the way election and why he would it makes perfect sense that he would have approached the premiere and asked him if he could move the day to the state election.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and now he's being all sneaky about it. But the leaks are coming out of WA Labor, no question about that.
Speaker 4: Well, let's have a.
Speaker 3: Look at the US because Donald Trump is announcing it key appointments. They're coming thick and fast now and in one excellent appointment, Senator Marco Rubio will be the next Secretary of State. In my view, This is an excellent choice. Strong on foreign policy. He's brilliant on China, on Israel, on Iran, and he hasn't been afraid to call out nonsense from advocates. If we've got the clip, let's have a look at this, soul.
Speaker 4: Will you conference on the contrary, I want you guys to get this.
Speaker 3: I want them to destroy every element of ho Master they can get their hands on.
Speaker 15: These people are vicious animals who did horrifying crimes.
Speaker 1: And I hope you guys post that.
Speaker 2: What about the civilians every day?
Speaker 14: Com Marcia, stop hinting behind civilians, putting civilians on the way.
Speaker 3: Brom when this is a really good sign for the Trump administration that someone who is so strong on foreign policy is going to be Secretary of State, especially you know, just after we found out that Pompeo is not going to be part of the administration.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, And what it's showing is that he's put a hell of a lot of work into thinking who is going to put where, the speed of which he's making announcements and they fit, each one fits. We remember what happened when he was elected in twenty sixteen. The thought hadn't gone into it but by gosh, it has this time, and Rubio is an excellent choice, and I think the choices he's made to date are excellent choices.
Speaker 3: I've got some intel actually that Pompeo's involvement with a Ukrainian contract might have been part of the reason why Trump didn't want him. But another good appointment today, Nick Cator Mike Waltz as National Security Advisor again and excellent choice.
Speaker 11: What do you think, Well, that's what I hear. I hear the guy's got all the right credentials on this and because it's a crucial role at this stage, so you know, again, I agree with brom witness. Seems to be some very sound appointments coming out of this. That clip of Marco Rubio you played in Deadly that's his audition for the job.
Speaker 4: Isn't it.
Speaker 11: Didn't he look good? A man of conviction on Israel? How important is that?
Speaker 4: One hundred percent?
Speaker 3: I wish we had more of it here in Australia from our own government, but alas we do not.
Speaker 4: Just on a lighter note, I don't know if you've.
Speaker 3: Seen this yet, but Trump's signature YMCA dance move has now gone viral.
Speaker 16: Have a Look, there's no need to feel down, Robin.
Speaker 3: It's just so funny that one of those awkward daggy dad dance moves.
Speaker 4: And take off like that, and it's on football fans absolutely.
Speaker 12: And I do recall actually in ninety eight going to see the Village People when they came to Australia and having an argument with my host, who was an American, about Ronald Reagan, me saying he's going to be terrific, and he's saying, oh no, he's going to drop out on modems on everyone.
Speaker 4: And it just took me.
Speaker 12: Back to the exaggeration that people threw at Reagan, who turned out to be magnificent president, trying to do the same thing to Trump, who will also be so important in changing dramatically what happens in the West.
Speaker 3: Look, I hope you're right that there have been some concerns about Trump on national security, and a lot of the MAGA team didn't welcome the appointment of Marco Rubio today. By the way, there was a bit of backlash online from that.
Speaker 4: Nick Cater. Firstly, can you do the Trump move? Very important question, Sharry.
Speaker 11: I do an awful lot for you, but.
Speaker 8: On national television, I mean, the significant thing is didn't Trump look relaxed in those later stages of the campaign.
Speaker 11: He knew what was coming, even if the media didn't, and even if the Democrats didn't.
Speaker 3: Well, and for the hours he was doing, you know, Donald Trump left nothing on the field. He's especially in the final days. I mean his rally was going past midnight on that last day of campaigning, so he and you know, he's not young. I wouldn't have had the energy to do that campaigning, There's absolutely no question about it.
Speaker 4: But he was. He was going night and day, working so.
Speaker 12: Hard, Brudwin and dealing with everything else.
Speaker 4: I checked at him.
Speaker 12: He's an amazing man, no two worries about it. But and he's got a brain. That's the best part and that's what we need the most, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Nick, Cato, brom and Bishop, thank you voting so much for your time. Now still to come after the break, the journalists who exposed how Hermas is treating Palestinians would join me live. Sorry that's a bit later in the show. After the break, my exclusive chat with one of India's top guy ministers, where I press him on their relationship with Russia. He also speaks about trade in a prost Trump world.
Speaker 4: That's after this welcome back.
Speaker 3: India's Minister for External Affairs, doctor s Jaishanka, was in Australia last week for meetings with alban Easy and senior figures. I had the privilege of sitting down with him for his only interview during his trip. Now, India is a strong middle power. It has unique role in the geopolitical environment. It maintains relationships with the US and Australia, but also with China and Russia. In our interview, I started by asking him about India's membership of both the Quad and BRICKS and whether he recognizes the angst that India's relationship with China and Russia at times causes Australia.
Speaker 1: I don't think we have given cause for any angst. For this reason in this day and age, countries don't have exclusive relationship. But if I were to use that logic, I would say, well, so many countries have relationship with Pakistan and look at the angs that should cause me. And let me tell you two things here. You know, what India has done and is doing with Russia is actually, in my view, helpful to the international community as a whole. If we had not made the moves we had, let me tell you, the energy markets would have taken a completely different turn and actually would have precipitated a global energy crisis. It would have caused inflation across the world as a consequence. Equally, it is the fact that we have today a good relationship with Russia allows us to be, in a way a country in between, which is which has the ability to both talk to Russia and to Ukraine and to try to find some intersection in those conversations. And I think the world, including Australia, needs such a country which will help to bring back this conflict back to the conference stable.
Speaker 3: You're right, India has been a very good friend of Ukraine.
Speaker 4: So what path do you.
Speaker 3: See then as the middle country in stopping Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
Speaker 1: The way out is to find an ending to this conflict negotiated Ending conflicts rarely end on the battlefield, mostly the end in a negotiation.
Speaker 4: Do you think Trump will have a big role to play in.
Speaker 1: That, Well, I think the United States is, you know, the world's pre eminent power in a way, and the United States will naturally, I mean, and it's been very closely involved from the very start, so obviously the US would have its influence and its views on it. But your earlier question, I do think that it's important for countries who have the access, the comfort, the credibility to engage both Moscow and Kiev to do that, to do that with a view of bringing this conflict to an early end, because we know at some stage it will come to the negotiating table. So if we can make hasten that, if we can facilitate that, I would argue that it's in everybody's interest.
Speaker 3: It's a very pragmatic view of the world because in Australia, in the United States, in the United Kingdom, there's been a lot of concern over the emerging alliance and the increase in cooperation between China and Russia, North Korea and Iran, you know, the.
Speaker 2: Supply of weaponry for example.
Speaker 3: Do you think that this emerging axis of evil, as it's called the you know, Russia, China, Iran and North Korea, do you believe this is a growing threat to the world And do you think Iran's increasing nuclear abilities capabilities will need to be dealt with.
Speaker 1: You know, this picture that you've painted, I assume that it's your sense that it's grown closer since twenty twenty two after the Ukraine conflict started, right, Yes, that's actually the case. Why it's in everybody's interested that the sooner the conflict ends, the better, because the longer the conflict drags out, you know, all sorts of things are going to happen. Not all these things could necessarily be to Austria Lia's advantage, or you know, to that of Western countries. So you know, the more you are concerned about, you know, some of these developments, I think, the stronger a case you're making for why we should be more active in the pursuit of a negotiated solution, that's the best contribution.
Speaker 4: I can make.
Speaker 3: Are you concerned about their increasing cooperation though?
Speaker 1: I'm concerned about the fact that more people are getting killed, more you know, countries in some way or the other are getting involved, and we think that's not good.
Speaker 3: Can the world afford to continue to sit back and watch as nuclear abilities are developed by Tehran?
Speaker 1: We have a view on nuclear non prolification, as you know. The Again I spoke earlier about laws and norms and rules. If countries joint regimes sign treaties are the international order requires that they keep their word, and if they don't, then then the international order, obviously, you know, the sort of reacts to it.
Speaker 4: So the the.
Speaker 1: You know, for US, we are very clear we think that nuclear non proliferation is destabilizing. We believe that countries which sign the NPT must abide by the commitment. It's it's a you know, clear cut proposition for US.
Speaker 3: And if they don't, would India support Israel or the United States targeting the nuclear sign military?
Speaker 1: No, No, I think you are you're painting. I mean, I understand.
Speaker 4: I think that is a realistic possibility where.
Speaker 1: You're coming from. But it's it's not a discussion, certainly, you know, Look, we don't we we again, I put it to the purpose our diplomacy is actually to do diplomacy, not to see recourds to force as a as a natural or early or preferred option. I think at the end of the day, you know, don't you know, there's not a homily I'm giving you. I'm giving you good common sense. A lot of problems in the world are resolved by countries and people sitting down, you know, the moment you go around the path of force and violence it's so much easier started than end it.
Speaker 3: That's easy when it's a like minded nation, but if you're dealing with a dictator or an evil regime like Iran, makes it very difficult.
Speaker 1: You have your point of view, I hear you, I have my point of view, and you hurt me.
Speaker 3: Trump has said he will impose trade tariffs on unimported goods.
Speaker 4: Is this a worry.
Speaker 1: We don't in my business do hypothetical stuff. I mean, you know, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: Not so much a hypothetical though he said he will.
Speaker 4: Let's see what happens.
Speaker 3: In light of COVID nineteen, this is a big lesson in diversifying, isn't it Well.
Speaker 1: I think the COVID nineteen was the most graphic illustration. It's not the only one, but absolutely, I mean, and again I'm not just stating Indian point of view. So today, across the world, I think countries and regions are trying to build local capacities. They are they're looking. You know, we would talk in terms of just in time, we would talk in terms of lowest cost. I think people are today understanding that those are not the only factors. You know, we speak about food security. You'd rather pay more and be a short of food health security. You'd rather produce at home or you know, from a trusted partner. And you know, even if it means paying more, then rely on the cheapest partner, who may let you down.
Speaker 4: Who's unreliable.
Speaker 1: So I would actually put it to you, you know, don't just think about it as an outcome of an American political happening. I put it to you that the world is actually headed for a reworking of supply chains, for a much greater kind of emphasis on trusted partners, for much greater sensitivity on anything digital, for a much stronger focus on all the implications of anything technology driven. So it's going to be a very very different set of relationships that all of us are sliding into. And which is why for me, the relationship with Australia has so much value because today we have that trust, we have that sensitivity, we are developing that experience of working together. So there are a lot of things you know, I'd be comfortable getting out of Australia or doing with Australia, which I may not be with some other countries.
Speaker 3: I would ask you about cricket, but I'm I'm not a cricket expert over.
Speaker 1: Here, obviously a sport which most Indians are deeply devoted to, so I assure you it's going to be a very interesting cricketing season all of us are. You know, I'm going back from Australia, but my mind is going to be very much in Australia in the coming days.
Speaker 4: I'm sure it will be. Indeed, thank you very much. I really appreciate it. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Definitely much more comfortable speaking about foreign policy than spot Well.
Speaker 4: Still to come.
Speaker 3: In Israeli journalist travels to a Hamas stronghold to find out exactly what Gazans think of the terror group o Hadhimo would join me live after the break.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: There's often debate about.
Speaker 3: Whether or not Palestinians actually support hermas Well. One journalist from Israel's Channel twelve went to the Jabaliir refugee camp, a Hamas stronghold to find out for himself.
Speaker 4: Have a look.
Speaker 13: Heather log in ba has Evaesluj.
Speaker 4: And there was so much more.
Speaker 3: Now you're not going to find that sort of content on left leaning broadcasters because it just doesn't fit their narrative that Palestinians are suffering because of Israel, not Hermas. Well, I'm pleased to say that the Israeli journalists who expose this or had Himo joins me now live from Israel or had thank you for your time. Well, tell us what did you find when you spoke to Palestinians about Harmas?
Speaker 15: Thank you very much, Sherry. So I can tell you that this was actually the first time since the war began a year ago, more than a year ago, that correspondents, not Palestinian correspondent, but any other correspondent could have really the access to talk to Palestinians, in this case in Jeban or refugee camp without the ruling of Hamas. So these guys were not fear of Hamas. And I must tell you that I wasn't surprised because of what they said, because.
Speaker 4: Oh, it seems like we've just lost our hard there.
Speaker 15: I hope, yeah, I hope that now you could hear us. So I was not surprised. I was not surprised from this. I was surprised for the fact that a big, huge mass of people we're talking about dozens of people that have seen me, they didn't know. The vast majority of them did not know that I'm from Israel. They didn't know anything but this camera, and they just whenever they have seen me, they just started cursing Hamas and spitting on Hamas or Sinoia whenever anyone just mentioned the name of a sin while they spit him. I've seen people they told me that Hamas shot their legs in order to make them cripple, just because they took food.
Speaker 3: To hopefully we get our herd back, but until we do, I think this is the issue I had that you know, there's Israel is accused of censorship, of not allowing journalists into Gaza, but in fact we haven't got the full story. What we often see on social media is propaganda. There's no question Palestinian families are suffering, absolutely no question about that. But you never get you never hear the stories or the reports of how Hamas is treating local Palestinians. This is the reporting that you went and did you know, why do you think we don't hear about this in mainstream media outlets?
Speaker 15: So it's maybe a narrative that does not fit the narrative of the West, because it's quite difficult to get these voices because the vast majority of the people in the Gaza Strip is still afraid, in fear from Hamas. I can tell you that since this footage was broadcast two days ago, I got dozens of phone calls from Gaza Strip and from the West Bank, from sources of mine, from just an ordinary Pedestinians who said, thank you, thank you so much for letting our voice be heard. I can tell you that I think this is the most important thing. But by the way we were blurring their faces, they did not ask us to do it.
Speaker 4: Extraordin I'm so brave. Ohhead, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: We're out of time, but extraordinary courage of them to speak out as well. That's all we've got time for tonight. Here's Danika di Giorgio in Well. The ladies have taken over the man Cave. Tonight, take it away.