Speaker 1: Hi, it's Claire from the Front. We're bringing you a new mini series from The Australian called The Flood, and this is episode three. The series is hosted by Chief International Correspondent Cameron Stewart and created by Cam with me and our audio lead Jasper Leik, plus all of us here at The Australian. It tells the incredible true story of how sixty Australian sub mariners saved their own lives and their boat. The Flood is a truly inspirational story of human courage, resilience, teamwork and ingenuity. You can follow the show by searching The Flood wherever you listen and going to the floodpodcast dot com, where you can also watch it as a video. The Flood is brought to you by the Australian War Memorial. Some stories define a nation, others reveal what it means to be human. Through Their Eyes is a new podcast from the Australian War Memorial that uncovers powerful human stories, revealing war through unexpected perspectives and immersive storytelling. Through Their Eyes will be live soon wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: I'm married, we have a daughter.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 4: There are certainly moments when my mind went to them. Certainly a moment.
Speaker 2: Where you know, just the you know, the young lad. Sorry, just take a moment.
Speaker 5: My wife so may at night and knows I have nightmares mots nights about it. What do you do? You either get on the horse and keep going or you let it rule your life. And it'd certainly changed my life, but it's not going to own me.
Speaker 6: From the Australian I'm Cameron Stewart and this is the Flood, Episode three. We are sinking. It is February twelve, two thousand and three, and the Royal Australian Navy submarine Hmasdshano was seconds away from sinking to the bottom of the Indian Ocean, taking her sixty crew with her. A catastrophic flood engulf the submarine after a seawater hose burst while it was at its deepest diving depth fifty nautical miles off the coast of Perth.
Speaker 4: We worked out later that we had a ton of sea water coming into the submarine every second. A ton of sea water is the same as one hundred crates of your favorite lager coming into your submarine every second through a hole about that big.
Speaker 6: But At this moment, Commander Scott had no idea how much seawater had flooded his submarine. It didn't even know for sure if the flood had stopped. His crew had just performed the emergency procedures designed to try to save the submarine and themselves. They're blowing all of the boats ballast, shut all of the dashana's external hole valves, and increased the motor to full speed while angling the submarine at twenty degree upward tilt, double the usual to try to gather enough momentum to climb back to the surface. There was no margin for error.
Speaker 4: I had a well trained crew, I had an exceptional boat with a lot of redundancy. I've been in sticky situations before, I've seen submarines, and I knew that if we kept our call, did what we knew we needed to do, exercise discipline, bring all the sort of expertise that we had to bear on board, then we would have the best chance of pulling through.
Speaker 6: The trouble was that in the first few seconds, the crew in the control room did all that they could to save the submarine. That initiated all of the emergency operating procedures quickly and flawlessly. There was nothing more they could do but sit and watch the depth gauge. The men and women aboard the Dushano were entering the longest minutes of their lives, waiting to see if they had saved their crippled submarine and themselves.
Speaker 2: It went very quiet.
Speaker 4: They went very quiet because we've kind of done everything we knew we could do. There are a few outstation reports and stuff coming in, but you know, there's a few moments there we were kind of going, Okay, we've done what we've been taught and trained to do, and we haven't won this one yet, so where are we going from here? You get to a point where you've certainly done everything you can with blowing main ballast, But of course the submarine takes a moment to.
Speaker 2: Build up speed.
Speaker 4: Very powerful main motor, but it's a big submarine and it takes time to build up speed. The more speed you get, the more control you have with your hydroplanes. It's that combination of effect.
Speaker 2: Blow your main.
Speaker 4: Ballast, get rid of that weight, build up the speed, get the boat pitched at the right angle to be heading towards the roof, and start pumping to get rid of any other weight that you possibly can all ideally before you know that combination goes the wrong way irreversibly.
Speaker 6: Commander Scott was too busy in the control room to know exactly what was happening in the lower motor room at the back of the submarine, where the flood had occurred. He did not know that Petty obviously Jordi Bunting, had almost drowned before being saved by his crewmates. He had not yet been told that the flood had been halted by the shutting off of the external whole valves, and he still had no idea how much seawater flooded into his boat. In short, he had no way of knowing whether the Dushana was going to make it back to the surface.
Speaker 4: It might have been physical mayhem at the back of the boat. I think the crew were actually pretty darn cool, calm and collected. So there were a number of folk stationed after the main watertight bulkheads, and they would have been providing reports back up into the control room about where they'd seen the flood, what was occurring, and what they were doing about it.
Speaker 2: But it took quite a while to.
Speaker 4: Develop any real understanding of the total damage and the turtlemount of water and the stadium.
Speaker 2: Of people back there.
Speaker 6: Even after Greg Sullivan and Michael Morris had pulled Jordie Bunting out of the flooded lower motor room, the lives of everyone in the main motor room were risk as the sea water washed over electrical equipment, putting the crew there in grave danger of being electrocuted.
Speaker 4: I'm sure it would have been pretty terrifying as they saw the submarine pitch up and all the water that had flooded into that motor room move aft and around the main motor which has got huge voltage and power going going through it.
Speaker 6: At the time, Chief engineer John Ryan had run the length of the submarine to jump into the flooded lower motor room to try to identify the source of the flood, but as the water swirled around him, he realized the danger.
Speaker 3: I mean the water was swirling where there was water pouring in there under pressure. We yield up to isolate some of the equipment so that it didn't fry, or we didn't fry in the water.
Speaker 2: Because what was the danger there electrocution?
Speaker 3: We were standing ways deep in seawater.
Speaker 6: For what felt like an eternity. The submarine refused to respond to efforts by the crew to get it to rise. It was traveling at full speed, with its whole point at twenty degrees upwards, but still it did not respond. Then, to the horror of everyone on board, it began to sink further. The submarine was heading into the Abyss. Twenty years after the flood, Peter Scott published his memoir Running Deep, an Australian Submarine Life, which we heard an excerpt from in episode two of this series. Here, Scott vividly recalls the moment his cruise fate hung in the balance.
Speaker 2: My heart is beating through my neck. I know, we all know.
Speaker 4: If we go down in this stpth of water, we will be crushed by the pressure before we hit the bottom. Once the pressure will splits, the ocean's onslaught will be absolute in its violence. Though it be the world to us, the ocean would fill our submarine as effortlessly as it would fill my lungs, without a moment's hesitation or a sciric of remorse.
Speaker 2: There's no coming back.
Speaker 4: We've been here before, We've trained for this. Some of us have trained for our whole adult lives. I have the submarine, I say, resuming full command.
Speaker 6: Now you're at the deepest diving depth. You were looking at the gauge to see whether you were sinking or otherwise. You're already at the deepest diving depth. What did you initially see?
Speaker 2: So the boat just hung for.
Speaker 4: What seemed like an eternity and then began to slowly sink.
Speaker 6: What went through your mind?
Speaker 2: Then this is all about the wrong way.
Speaker 4: I had enough experience to know that it would take some time for the impact of the high pressure air to blow the ballast out of the ballast tanks, and you know it wasn't over until it was over kind of thing. But to see that depth gauge going the wrong way at that time, was that was pretty difficult.
Speaker 6: The crew react. They would have seen the same depth gate.
Speaker 4: Anyone who anyone who could see a depth gauge would have been looking at a depth gauge at that stage.
Speaker 2: They probably would have had similar reaction to myself.
Speaker 6: Commander Scott could feel the eyes of his crew upon him.
Speaker 4: So I'm standing in the middle of the control room. Control room's fully crude. Everything's pretty tight in there. There was a sailor sitting probably arms for each away on the SNAr set, and I remember he turned and looked to me. He wasn't saying anything, but he was very clearly asking, you know, we're going to.
Speaker 2: Get out of this. And I was not in a position to say, she'll be right, mate.
Speaker 4: What I was in a position to say was we're going to fight like hell to make sure we do and we'll see how it goes. One of the remarkable things about a circumstance like that was the crew members who were in a position to do something did exactly what they needed to do. There were a lot of members of the crew who were not in a position.
Speaker 2: To do anything.
Speaker 4: Their job at that time was to trust their shipmates and be ready to lean in when they could so.
Speaker 6: Owner Operator Melanie Ellerton was one of those crew members who could only watch the drama unfold around her.
Speaker 7: Okay, like, how far past is is limit going to go? Before the submarine says no, you can't handle that pressure anymore to actually say we're going back up. But when you're looking at that death gauge, you're going that's our limit, and now we're going below that limit. There was a lot going through a Heathan, please budge Ally God that we come back up.
Speaker 6: Every sailor knew were going down.
Speaker 7: Would mean very much like a coke can getting crushed. Pretty the best way to describe it. It would have been a very quick, very swift and probably the one if you're thinking about it now, it'll be that it would have been the best way to go. If you're going to go on a submarine, it'll be the best way because you wouldn't feel it. That's one saving grace of it all.
Speaker 6: At that moment, down the back of the submarine in the motor room, a dazed and drenched Jaydie Bunting was trying to recover as seawater washed it dangerously over electrical equipment.
Speaker 5: I didn't know where I was. There was a lot of noise. Despite the fact that the whole vals was shot and the flooding was no longer rising, the submarine is still extremely heavy and it wasn't coming up. The angle at the boat was on was pretty scary.
Speaker 1: The flood is brought to you by the Australian War Memorial What does War look like through the eyes of the people who lived it? Through their eyes is a new podcast from the Australian War Memorial that uncovers deeply human stories drawn from the awm's vast collections, galleries and expert insights through unexpected perspectives and immersive storytelling. Each episode brings history to life in a way that's personal, moving and relevant today. Discover the stories behind our history. Listen to Through Their Eyes soon wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: Very soon after the flood occurred, I was trying to work out how to shape, how to behave, how to think through the problems that we were facing, so that we could achieve advantage a month to three months downtrack, because I knew that the incident was serious enough that it could have long term impact on the ship's company and that would either be long term positive or long term negative. And what was said and the way we behaved and the way we went through the immediate was going to have an impact on the long term. So my head was in a lot of different places. It was certainly there watching and understanding everything that the ship's can company was doing and just tracking all of that as the flood occurred, but it was also part of my mind too, how do we shape this to create a long term positive impact at the back end.
Speaker 6: Now that's Captain Scott, that's you as captain having that responsibility. What about the private Peter at that moment when the flat happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know there's a few private Peters.
Speaker 2: I'm married, we have a daughter.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 4: There are certainly moments when my mind went to them.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: There certainly a moment ah where you know, just the you know, the young lad. So I just take a moment. That was not the way the young boy who eventually joined the Navy wanted to go. I didn't want to meet the guy who took that crew to the bottom.
Speaker 6: But then a miracle happened.
Speaker 4: It did start to flatten out and recover, and once the boat started moving, it really started moving.
Speaker 6: Colin's Class submarines can travel it up to twenty knots just under forty kilometers per hour. For the past three minutes, although it felt like forever, the crew had been hanging between life and death Nobody's boat. As the boat rose towards the surface, slowly at first, then picking up speed as it went. Finally, the Shana's black hole exploded out of the Indian Ocean and into the summer sunlight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we came through with a bit of speed on and a bit of angle, so we sort of bounced through the roof and then sort of willow back down.
Speaker 6: Is everything like at that point or is? I mean, tell us about the dangers that you still faced even though you were now at the surface.
Speaker 4: So it comes to the fact that we did not know the state of our submarine. We didn't know the state of our hydraulic systems, electrical systems.
Speaker 2: We didn't know how much water we had on the boat.
Speaker 4: We didn't know what casualties we'd suffer and therefore we know what expertise we'd lost and so on. We didn't know probably at that point, whether there'd been other issues, like you know, had fire started or whatever. So once we were on the roof, a really serious damaged control battle kind of began, and that just became a long and difficult battle to understand the situation and get control of where we're at. It took about three minutes from the time of the initial flood to conduct all those coops and get the boat moving and break the surface was probably about about three minutes in time.
Speaker 6: The Duschano. We made it back to the surface, but it was not yet out of trouble. It had blown all of its ballast tanks and there was no certainty that it would not sink again. Could it make it back to port? Was everyone safe? How would the Navy handle this near disaster? What would it mean for the Duschano and for all of the Colins class submarines which were already under serious scrutiny. Geordie Rocker, Bunting and John Ryan recall the moment.
Speaker 5: It was a long trens at back. I can remember that because we were severely speed restricted because of the damage that had been done to the main mater cooling gear. There was a lot of work going on to try and get systems back up to get us home safe, and that was obviously carried out.
Speaker 2: But that time coming back in.
Speaker 5: Well, I guess just the time to reflect and come to groups with what had just happened.
Speaker 3: As a general rule, you can't smoke anywhere on the submarine. Saturday, I just went to the boss and said, you know, I'm going to take rock and we're gonna have a smoke.
Speaker 1: Ye VISs Episode three of our four part series, which the Australian subscribers here first at the floodpodcast dot com and Apple Podcasts. Next week.
Speaker 2: On the Flood, I wrung my.
Speaker 5: Wife and said we've had a bit of a mishoe. Can you come and pick me up and pick up some cigarettes? Whine I got wet.
Speaker 1: The Flood is an audio and video investigation for The Australian by Cameron Stewart, executive producer Claire Harvey and editor Jasper Leigue. You can watch the video right now at the Flood podcast dot com. Our theme is composed by Jasper Leik, cinematography is by Andy Taylor and video editing by Lachlan Crear. Additional footage was shot by Luke Geldard and Peter Aqualina. Our graphics of by Sean Callanan and animations by Franklin. Special thanks to Kristin Amiot, Ryan Elfin, the Australian National Maritime Museum and the Australian War Memorial. Captured, Imprisoned, Determined to Survive through first hand accounts from the Australian War Memorial's archives. Through Their Eyes reveals what it meant to endure captivity, maintain hope and survive against the odds. Listen to Through Their Eyes wherever you get your podcasts,