Speaker 1: I'll get a team. Welcome to another install on the show. It's Patrick James Bonello, Tiffany and called Craig Anthony Harper. Let's start with the genius in the bush.
Speaker 2: Hi, Patrick, Oh sorry, I was waiting for you to say, tiff that would have been the genius in the ring, wouldn't that.
Speaker 1: You're a genius, Thank you. Yeah, you're a genius of sorts. How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm actually doing pretty good. I'm sitting here at the moment with Fritz and scientifically, Fritz is actually calming me down. He's lowering my blood pressure and he's causing me to be more relaxed.
Speaker 1: Do you know that dogs, well, obviously if you love them, dogs, cats, animals, of course, yeah, they increase not only lifespan, but health span as well, which is nice, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, fantastic. I feel I should be doing more.
Speaker 1: Although I did see a video the other day online of this crazy woman with a cat in a stewdent. I can't remember her name, someone Cook and the cat that she had I might have been Bear the cat. I'm not sure. I can't remember all the.
Speaker 2: Details, but the common name for a cat, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this lady swearing like a motherfucker at this poor cat. It was feeline abuse.
Speaker 3: Bear's very thoughtful, and she realizes that with the cost of living, having such a long life from all these pets in my world is a very big expense. So she's just balancing that out with some high sparks of cortisol every now and then.
Speaker 1: So tell everyone who's thinking, what is he talking about? Tell everybody one you what happened.
Speaker 3: If so, I've got banners behind me in the studio that just sit there twenty four to seven. The studio doubles as her bedroom. She's got a little cat towel here. It's quite the playground. But when I when she knows I'm putting up, obviously, when I put my headphones around my ears, she goes into assault mode and pushes the So I was sitting there, I had to record a little video by myself, So I turn on the zoom, I put the headphones on my head, and she just runs in, pushes the banner over behind me, and runs straight out the door. And I abuse her, And I think to myself, my neighbors would hear that abuse all the time and think I'm in a volatile relationship.
Speaker 1: It's hilarious, and or you're abusing your animals.
Speaker 3: She does it deliberately though, like it's they're so cunning.
Speaker 1: It's deliberate and it's thought through.
Speaker 3: And that banner is in here twenty four to seven. She doesn't touch it unless she wants to irritate me.
Speaker 2: Well do you reckon?
Speaker 1: She's like mean cat form? Do you reckon? She real is that you're about to stop focusing on her. Yes, you're about to channel your attention into something else. Yes, that's exactly what happens. Can you two talk amongst yourselves for a moment, Patrick, because all your notes that you sent me have disappeared. Oh no, I found them, found them. I'm back. I'm sorry for that. Yeah. Yeah. My my Monash University account, which is clearly sick of me, just blocked me from my own thing. But I'm back in. Have you been Patrick? What's going on? What's news up there?
Speaker 2: Look, it's it's got cold really quickly. It was four degrees this morning, so I had to stoke up the fireplace, which is actually one of the very cathartic things that I love to do. I'm not got central heating, but I've also got some I was gonna say, I've got wood, but I've got, you know, a lot of stuff for the fireplace to be able to keep the house warm. So yeah, it's That was one of the things I did first thing this morning because I thought I thought we were recording at seven thirty, so I got up extra early to warm the house and get the fireplace going, get my hot chocolate, and stand by the fire. I was going through the notes, and then I sat down and went to the studio, turned the heater on and sat here at seven thirty and no one was there.
Speaker 1: And I got a message at seven thirty two, going are we doing a podcast? And I was sitting at the cafe just knees deep. I was going to say something else, knees deep in caffeine. What suits you? It is? Seven thirty suit you better? Or nine?
Speaker 2: We probably should have this conversation, but not during the podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it. Let's have a little staff meeting. Now, what are you or nine?
Speaker 3: I like nine because I like to be able to go and work out first. But you know, I'm just here at press buttons. So it's when you two are most on fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that works for me. I can walk for its beforehand.
Speaker 1: Then you are the button presser Tiff metaphorically and literally.
Speaker 2: Press push her buttons.
Speaker 1: Yea, even when she's not in the studio. Yeah, I love a good open fire. But anyway, all right, let's onwards and upwards.
Speaker 2: I think i've spoken to since we went to jail together.
Speaker 1: I saw photos of you guys in jail. Was it fun? Patrick?
Speaker 2: It was awesome. I'd never thought because I didn't know they had cowed jails for one thing. It was great fun. Took me to jail and I wore an orange jumpsuit. Was great.
Speaker 1: Did you drink any booze?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I had mocktails. Oh no, it's not true. I did have a shot, but just one, but most of it was mocktails.
Speaker 1: How long since you've been or have you ever been drunk?
Speaker 2: Have I ever been drunk? Yes, I have, but decades, it's been decades and decades.
Speaker 1: Yeah to how long since you've been drunk, give or take. Did you get drunk on your birthday?
Speaker 3: I definitely didn't. I haven't been drunk for a long time. But yeah, nothing good happens when you're drunk. We call her Francesca and we put her to bed years ago.
Speaker 1: Who's that drunk you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's a whole different beast. Really, she has no business in any of my life.
Speaker 1: Tell us about Francesca.
Speaker 3: She's just wild, you know. She comes out of the bamboo. She's everybody's best friend. She's excited. She's like a two year old that someone's given a packet of red jelly beans too, and then just let loose.
Speaker 2: She is. If I've met you, you don't need alcohol, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel a little bit the same. I'm like, imagine me and booze, or me and drugs that like, I'm a nightmare. Anyway.
Speaker 2: I had somebody take me aside one day and make me promise that I would never take speed. I wouldn't, but they make me promise that, not for any other reason, but they couldn't imagine me being more hyper than I am now, and they felt that it would probably be scary.
Speaker 1: Do you not drink coffee? You don't drink coffee, do you, mate?
Speaker 2: I do. I might have maybe two or three cups a week. I don't drink it every day.
Speaker 1: No, Well that's a little bit of a stimulant. All right, What are we talking about today technology. Let's open that door, just take us into the wonderland that is your safe space.
Speaker 2: Well, I was just going to say, we started off chatting about how cathartic. I was sitting here patting my dog and I just figured that, I mean, we've all known that, you know, having animals around can be cathartic. Well, Liss, it's a cat that kind of attacks you. But aside from that, there have been some new studies and what they're saying now is they've done some They definitively got one hundred and twenty two under graduates around the age of eighteen and older and they were experiencing what they were saying was moderate to high stress. So the research is then collected and we're talking full on so saliva, fecal, matter of you know, they did. This was whole biological everything tests. And then what they did was they got they got these people to interact with dogs, and we're talking a discernible change in their stress levels, even seeing the dog come towards them, finding out the dog's name, and then of course petting the dog, interacting, playing with the dog, throwing a ball, giving the dog a treat. And we're talking massive amounts of a change biologically during that interaction. So even just looking at smile or smiling at the dog, calling the dog's name, stress levels dropped, they decreased. And again this was proven and discernible thirty three point five percent.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So that's amazing. So if you've if you've got a dog, but you've got a friend, so Crago, you could just go to TIFF's place and Luna just give Luna a bit of a pat and maybe.
Speaker 1: I'm very excited. I'm very excited about finishing my study because I'm getting I've just been. I've been every third day. I'm like, that's it. I'm getting a German shepherd. No, I'm getting a spooed. I'm getting a whipp it. Somebody told me a shorthired something visla this morning. Oh Murray, who I said every morning is like, no, you've got to get a girl, the female vistla or and they're like a ready brown beautiful. They are so beautiful. And so you know, that's my thing today. But tomorrow I'll be getting a fucking you know, a wolf or something. But I don't know, but I'm yeah, I love dogs, but I think the interesting thing Patrick about all this stuff is too not everyone loves dogs. So you bring a dog into a room that there are some cultures that don't embrace dogs as pets as much as other cultures do, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Well observably, and I have Indian friends, and I've noticed that when you get a courier come to the door, and I guess couriers and posters are always apprehensive about dogs. But I've found that there are certainly Indian people tend to embrace dogs less when they don't know. I guess it's good for everybody to be wary of any dog that they don't know on their home turf, particularly, I mean, Fritz might lick you to death. But as a rule, dogs can be territorial and they're guarding the pack, so you've got to be careful. I guess posts and couriers can see the worst in dogs too. Mind you, we had a local poster who was friends with every single dog, and he always had a good thing to say, and so the dogs loved him, so that the dogs will be wagging their tails waiting for the post he come around. So there's, you know, one little stigma that actually isn't. Really It's great to see posters who actually love their dogs. But I think that I could see I'm trying to visualize the dog that I would see with Crago, And you know, I wouldn't be surprised if you've got a chihuahua, because then you could you you could fly, You could put it in your pocket, and you could drive your motorbike and it could be sitting in a little napsack around you. You know, I could your bum bag. See it would fit in your bum bag that you always have. Did you reckon tiff I reckon Jack Russell? Oh? Jack Russell?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Do you know what? I know? You're trying to bait me. That's okay, I'm open. I might get a Chihuahua or a Jack Russell. I love all dogs. I could put a Chihuahua in the pocket of my cargoes and his little head could just pop out the side. That would be do you know what I want to tell you? So I don't know if you know this, but and the I'm ninety eight percent sure about this research, so don't exactly quote me. But dogs are I think the only animal that produce oxytocin the love hormone like humans do, as in when they're around their humans. That could be total bullshit, but I know that they definitely do produce it, whether or not other animals do. I guess I feel like elephants would fuck I'd love an elephant.
Speaker 2: Dolphins would that? Dolphins? I could fuck it. You know, dolphins, they probably love you too, wouldn't they?
Speaker 1: No, I don't know. I don't know, but elephants fuck. Elephants are smart. Have you ever seen I saw this footage gest and we'll get onto tech in a moment. But there was this was recently at a zoo. There was an earthquake. Might have been California or somewhere and in the or San Diego, might have been in the anyway, they've got this big elephant enclosure. Now, all these elephants are obviously in captivity. There was an earthquake, all the elephants got around the little elephants, So the big ones and they all stand in a circle facing outwards with all the little elephants in the middle to protect the middle elephants. Little elephants because they don't know what's coming. But whoever taught them more trained than this? Right? And then so there's this circle of elephants like with their bums in the middle and their faces and trunks out and all the little ones being protected by all the big ones. And the earthquake started and they all assembled and got in this position within fifteen twenty seconds. How fucking clever. We think we're smart. Fuck and el animals are so smart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd be worried though if there was an earthquake in the first thing you did was turn around and shove your bub in my face.
Speaker 1: Well, that would be to protect you, my little elephant. So as you just keep your trunk to yourself while we're in that position, things will be good.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You remember what the elephants said to the bloke at the nudist colony, who cute? Can you pick up peanuts with it? It's a text, isn't it.
Speaker 1: No, it's not well at out tip. That's terrible. No, I don't leave it then it Let him suffer, all right? Come on, tell us about technology and science and stuff in the future.
Speaker 2: Health on the health side of it. Let's stick with the health stuff. This is really fascinating because obviously, when you have surgery, it's very invasive, and scientists now think that they're able to print three D tissue, So they're able to inject a solution into your body and then directly print into your body with no surgery, using ultrasound waves so to form an object. So say you were doing a repair, you don't actually open the body up, you inject this solution in and then using sound waves to three D print using that audio at different levels, and you can create a three dimensional object inside the body. That blew my mind when I saw that. That would be amazing. Wouldn't it to be able to do that? So say you're replacing a joints and you had, you know, you kind of clean out the cartilage and you've got you know, you could potentially inject into the knee joint and then rebuild sections of it using this three D printing technology inside the actual.
Speaker 1: Joint without even making an incision. Yeah, like where stuff's going. I saw this thing yesterday, This fourteen year old kid, right, I think he was an Indian kid. He invented this app that goes into your phone that monitors your heart right and it can diagnose I think it's forty cardiac medical conditions or forty one or forty two with ninety six percent accuracy, right, And what they were saying is compared to the average accuracy by medical professionals looking at whatever is fifty six and this is like ninety odd percent. So it's incredibly more accurate, more reliable. But just as a kid, yeah, fourteen year old kid, and he's I've got this footage of him doing basically a presentation to all these people about how it works. Yeah, it's incredible. I mean, I don't think we can fully understand or grasp what's coming. And I think it's exponential. I think AI and all the myriad of you know, things that are going to be possible, like even even now, it's ridiculous. Like a friend of mine messaged me that's in Singapore and they had to get they're staying at a hotel in Singapore and they had to get some clothes washed. So they rang room service and said such and such need some shit washed, and they went sure, I don't know, I forget. The name will be up in a moment. And then in a moment the her phone rang or the text rang and said such and such as at your door. She goes to the door. It's a robot, right, and so she opens this thing, puts her thing in the thing, and the robot takes off, and then the robot comes back like four hours later with I mean, and that's yeah, that's not a trial, that's just what's happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. Incidentally, just staying on this one, this is a California Institute of Technology, and it's called deep tissue in vivo sound printing. So disp dis is what it is. But they've done these exp I haven't done any human being yet, but they've done it in a rabbit's stomach and a mouse's bladder, and they are able to fabricate without any surgical intervention at all. They were able to fabricate using sound technology and three D print internally. That's great stuff, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Ah? Well, I mean the main the main problem with surgery, or one of the main problems, is the trauma that's caused through cutting through all the tissue. So we eliminate that. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah cool. Hey are you guys readers? I mean you obviously, for what you do, Craigo, you've got to do a lot of reading. I listen to audio books and I do obviously pick up books every now and again as well, But and it's interesting what goes on in our brain when we read, and there's more research going into that. And it's funny because I you know, if you have like I mean, I read every day, and what we're now finding is that you know, letters, words, sentences, and texts, whether you're reading aloud or just silently reading, your brain is doing some amazing stuff when you put it all together, and being lost in a book can can just change your brain chemistry and it's it's it's amazing. So science really doesn't know what goes on about you know, your brain when you transform those letters on a page into words or you visualize something. So there is more studies going on now into what actually does happen when we pick up a book and you know, you're transported to another location if you think about reading, you know, say you're really in depth into a personal motivation type book and you start to feel that almost euphoric sense of you know, being monivated. You want to get out there and exercise, or you want to get out there and start doing all the things as it's suggesting or for me, you know, as a fan, as someone who loves fantasy and sci fi, being transported and visualizing that place and the place, you know, wherever it happens to be that you're you know you're thinking about in that book, particularly in sci fi and fantasy, because the terms of reference are slightly different. You know, you're creating a world in your mind in what the author is thinking, or even getting into the head of an author. You know, that blows me away when you read a book that was written two hundred years ago and the concept and the thoughts and the words that someone's put on a page is brought back to life in your brain. So it makes sense that they're kind of researching what's going on, and you know, whether it's short form or long form. You know, a lot of people now and I see this as a frightening thought that a lot of young people tend to not have that focus to read anymore. They're stimulated by TikTok videos that go fifteen seconds, you know, as opposed to sitting down and really, you know, diving into a book. I was walking with my friend yesterday who's a big listener to the show, and she said she's reading three books at once. I can only read one book at a time. What about you, guys? Can you read more than one book at any time.
Speaker 1: I'm a listener. Was I was an avid reader for you is like physically holding a book obviously, because we didn't have audio books, and people are going to go, people are going to think, how on earth do you have time for this? But in my like in my walking hours, I listened to books. Right, So this morning I was up at quarter to six walking listening to a book. And I've listened to ten books in the last twelve weeks. Yeah, so, yeah, So I consume lots of content. And I've never and I've said this once before on the show, but I've never really consumed fiction. Not interested. It's all got to be you know, data information da. And then I said to myself, you're a boring fuck. Just listen to something for the sake of list you don't not everything's got to be a fucking learning moment, right, And so I listened to this book that was recommended called The Gray Man, and which is about the world's best assassin who's got a moral compass. Of course it is, and of course he has, and of course I'm interested, right, And now I'm up to I'm currently listening to book ten and great love it I love the audio books.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm at book eight of a series I only started about two weeks ago because I just plow through them, you know what I'm doing, cause I'm walking, Fritz. But the interesting thing with this study was that reading activates the left hemisphere, so that's the language center of the brain. Letters and text reading engage the visual and motor areas of the brain, and words and sentence reading activate language, classic language what they call language clusters also in the left hemisphere. And they didn't know this, but the cerebellum has never really been thought of to be engaged when you know, we're reading. And in fact, the right cellar about cerebellum is active in all types of reading, and that's out loud reading, so with speech production. And then the left side of the cerebellum is more active during the word reading, like you know, you know, when we're trying to get concepts, So we're trying to get meaning out of whatever it is that we're reading, you know, when we're thinking, really concentrating from focusing really closely on whatever it is we're trying to make sense of.
Speaker 1: M It's interesting because you can read the same thing, but it won't you and I can read the same thing, but it won't produce the same neurological response in the brain, or biochemical response or emotional response, because there's like the variable with everything is how you interpret things or how you know, Like with food, it's how your biology interacts with that food or that drug. And then with like what we would call, you know, content or you know, cognitive input or data or information. Yeah, it's how how you respond and interact with that as well.
Speaker 2: But I was we've been involved through my business, so we've we've been involved recently in an amazing organization and a horse welfare organization called Project Hope, and they rescue horses. Their members take the horses on that have been neglected or abused or whatever, and I have the real privilege of working with them to do their annual report. I've just done their third annual report. But there was one I don't know and I don't know whether it was a vulnerability at the time, but my colleague Robert was in the office and it was early in the morning. We just started work and I picked up the document and I was pulling images in so the clients had, you know, put a whole lot of images of horses they've rescued, and there was one picture of a horse and I'm not even going to describe what had happened to it, but I actually walked away from the computer and started crying. It was so it may have just been a vulnerable moment for me and seeing an animal and distress or seeing anything in distress, but I was so taken aback from seeing that. You don't just see the physical you know, you know what that horse is going through physically in terms of what you're seeing on the page, but your brain takes you to the scenario as well, so the pain that might be associated with the you know, the neglect that may have been associated with so our brains work in a really amazing way, so we're not just looking at a picture and feeling distressed. I went to a totally different place where I started seeing more than just that, and it was you know, and we talked about it. I talked about it to the clients because you know, they're celebrating fifty years of rescuing animals, rescuing horses, and you know the amount of horses over the years that have been rescued through this organization, and it's staggering that. You know, we thought, well, I've always had a challenge with putting those sorts of confronting images into their annual report. But the reality of it is you've got to show both. You know, it's great to see all these horses that have been rescued, but when you see the neglect as a contrast, like the before and after, it's very very powerful. So the written word or the visuals can take our brain down a real rabbit hole and can can really be emotional. I've set on trams before reading a book laughing out loud, you know, so you know, those sorts of as you said before Crago, I can read something and be moved by it. I don't know if we've spoken this about this on the show. You know, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times. I think. I'm sure we've quoted that from A Tale of Two Cities. You know, some of these profound written dialogue. Ever, you know, it's such an amazingly moving, you know, opening paragraph. When you think about, you know, an opening sentence to a book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you raise an interesting point, and this is kind of off topic for tech, but it's a philosophical and I think it's like an ethical and a moral issue. So there's a podcast which I'm happy to promote good podcasts. There's a guy called Sean Ryan who's an ex Navy seal blah blah blah, but quite a deep, deep thinking, like to me, a really good human And he had a guy on called Tim Tebow yesterday other day before, who's the next Heisman Trophy winner, which just means he was the best college football player regarded maybe ever went on, played in the NFL, didn't really crush it, but just a good human being. And he's been renowned as just this good dude. And he started this thing highlighting all of this stuff around child exploitation and all the stuff that I don't even really want to mention, but you can imagine, right, And I just saw these two on a clip yesterday. It came up and they were talking and like it is, so it makes me so sad for the children. It makes me so fucking angry at the people that do this shit, right, And I just I was nearly going to turn off because I I almost can't cope, right, I don't. I don't want to know. And then and then Tim Tebow said when he starts to tell he starts to talk. A lot of people go, no, no, no, I don't want to know. I don't want to know. I've got children, I don't don't tell me, right, And I'm like, that is because that's it. I don't even have children. And it fucking that. There's so many emotions that that brings up in me. And I think to your point about the horses, of course, and then all of the other myriad of horrible things, domestic violence against women, you know, all of the fucking horrible things, as painful and as it as uncomfortable as it is, we need to fucking throw the door open. And I think, I hate looking at it, but I think, and then you go, okay, well now I know this. What can I do? Can I do anything? I know I can't turn it around, but can I do anything? And I think one of them, sorry, one of the you know, one of the opportunities that social media presents, if used in the right way, is that we can shine a light on some of this dark shit that happens and maybe do some good that way.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite favorite quotes is by an author by the name of Edmund Or. It's attributed to Edmund Burke and it says the only thing necessary for triumph, for the for triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I quite that all the time.
Speaker 2: It's so amazing, is it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all it's necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Yeah. It's like it's so true. It's so and it's like almost like not my problem, you know, not my problem. It's like, well, stop being a selfish prick because some people, some people can't look after themselves. Some people just need other people to fucking help, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so that took.
Speaker 2: A philosophical I know, I didn't kind of know where to go with that.
Speaker 1: I think that's okay. Not every moment on a podcast needs to be comfortable or cheesy or fun, you know. I just think like, and the three of us all have a small voice in a fucking ocean of voices, and sometimes you've got to go, yeah, okay, well this is where we are. But what do you think you know?
Speaker 2: So, yeah, definitely no problem there. I was. I know that because you both are in the fitness world, I often think about you know, real age, biological age, you know what what does it mean as we get older and you know, how do we know whether we're doing well, whether we're on track, and you know, we're doing all the right things for our body. I remember reading a study and I tell my tai chies students this all the time that when you get over the age of fifty, it's it's fairly well documented that doing twenty minutes of really vigorous exercise and say doing twenty minutes of something like meditation, tai chi yoga can be just as beneficial. So over a certain age, we don't have to you know, knock ourselves out and go super hard. Not that that's a bad thing, but you know, doing some form of exercise is really important. But there's an interesting little article that I read and I thought, oh, you know, it was talking about how to measure, you know, your fitness level, and one of the things they talk about was grip strength. Have you ever heard that how grip strength actually says a whole lot about how the rest of your body is functioning and how on track you are. Have you have you heard that one? Kraigo?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a that's a standard mate, Yep, that's fairly well known. Yeah. Also stride length. You know, there's a bunch of things, but grip strength is a is an indicator for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the interesting thing is that you don't have to because there are obviously you know, you can. What's the measurement? How do you the device you use for measuring grip? It's a dynamometer, Yeah, it's yeah, but it's pounds. It's like pounds of force, I think, yep. Yeah. So this little article I was reading recently was talking about just grabbing a tennis ball and how long you can compress and hold the tennis ball. And then the other thing was if you go to a pull up bar and just hang from the pull up bar, how long you can hang from the pull up bar is another one as well, just to measure it, and I think for women it's over thirty seconds or thirty to forty seconds, and for men it's over sixty seconds. So if you can just hang for over sixty seconds as a bloke or thirty to forty seconds as a woman, then that says that you know you're doing pretty well. So just a little simple test you can do at home, But that fascinates me. I mean, I don't know that I'm obsessed by it. But I you know, obviously I'm in a room of people when I talk about a room, a virtual room of people who are pretty focused on staying healthy and looking good as they grace as they age gracefully, and doing all the right things or trying to do the right things. So it is something I guess, you know, the people who listen to the podcast to listen to the You Project tend to be from my understanding and interaction when I see the Facebook group and the chats that people have, it's people who get motivated and like to be motivated to maybe have a better thought process or do better with their lives, look for ways to be motivated.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like people who pick up books on motivation. You know, why do we back them up in the first place, Because we want to do better. We want to be better, we want our lives to be better. And for me, in a lot of ways, technology does that. You know. I love that we can use tech and make our lives better. And you know, I know that you use chat GPT and some of the prompts and chat GPT, and actually that kind of opens to the to the little topic I wanted to chat about is for people who do use chat GPT, the prompts you use. And I have this funny story. So this week I went to the local super market and the I started, you know, take took my stuff to the register and they started scanning through the stuff and then I had mean, I think I had like a carrot and some szucchini and some other bits and pieces. But when they went to weigh them, there was something wrong with the scales and they could meet. They could weigh it, but it wasn't translating to their first their pose system, the port of sales system, And so the woman was standing there. We went to a different register. She put the stuff on the scales, it still wouldn't interact. And then the senior lady there said, we'll work out what it is per kilo and you know, and try to work it out. So if a carrot is three dollars sixty akilo and you've got a one hundred and sixty gram carrot, try to work it out. And of course the first thing I did was I just jumped on the chat GPT on my phone and like all the girls were all just looking dumbfounded. It's like, how did we work that out, and I don't think off the top of my head, I probably could have worked it out without Jack GBT. I'm gonna be honest, full transparency here. Chat CHPT did it for me. And so there I am standing at the cash register going through and we were working out you know, if I have a carrot and it's one hundred and sixty grams and it costs you know, three dollars sixty a kilo, what is my carrot worth? You know? And it was kind of fun that we sold our little problem using chat GPT in a practical sense, but some of the prompts you put into chat GPT can be really interesting. So if you've got a.
Speaker 1: Ton I tell you, can I tell you for future use? Yeah, go for it, go three sixty times point one six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for that. It was easier with chat.
Speaker 1: T Nah, not really, not really.
Speaker 2: No, Actually it was interesting. Chat GPT not only gave me the answer, but it showed me how to do it. So yeah, but yeah, so creating a better to do list? So what you know, this this is an article that I was reading and it was just kind of giving you some prompts that you can use for AI to try to you know, streamline what you do. So obviously summarizing documents is fantastic. If you have a document, throw it in there and just say, can you just give me a one paragraph overview of what this document is. And it doesn't necessarily mean you're getting get to do all the work for you, but it could be things as simple as you know, one of my staff recently sent out an email that had a lot of errors in it, and so you know, it had already gone out to the client. He'd copied me in and it felt a little bit uncomfortable to have the conversation. You know, I'm a grown purse, grown man, but I said to him, look, just run it through chat GPT, get chat GPT to check for errors and look for formatting. And that's not cheating. You've already done all the hard yards. You've got all the data in there and all the information. But it can be really good. So but creating a smarter to do list, I love that idea where it will prioritize, so you put your list of things in and then it helps you think about how to prioritize, and sometimes that can just take a little bit of that emotional burden off I don't know about you. When I've got my list of things that I need to do for the day, it can be a bit overwhelming. So tackling the right thing at the right time, I reckon that's a great idea for using something like you know, chet GPT, or even just troubleshooting a problem, you know, saying well, how can I tackle this? What's the best way around. I had to write a bereavement note recently and I actually wrote down, you know, I started penning my thoughts and then I actually asked chat GPT about the best way to send this bereavement message and it actually helped. You know, it draws from what they call a large language model, so the AI has been trained on a whole lot of information, so we can take all that info put it all together. And it really helped because I find that conversation, that dialogue for somebody who's just lost someone can be really difficult. And it's happened in two instances, one where someone quite young in their thirties died suddenly, and the other was a close friend of mine who had a partner, a previous partner they'd broken up with, but he committed suicide and so you know, how do you message somebody and not cause further grief? You know, you want to support the person, And I find that really difficult. I think I'm pretty good. I'm a good wordsmith and I'm good at writing stuff. But just having a little bit of helpful oversight from a large language model like chat CHAPT I find really really useful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we're just starting to understand the scope for and there's a really common concern at the moment that we're going to become dumber, it's going to hijack here. I don't think that at all. I think like I use I use Claude, which is a more academic focused LLM, andat GPT as well for different things. Obviously not to do my work in terms of my PhD, but where I can I can plug in something and say, you know, I can plug in someone else's article and say give me the three key takeaways from this, or I can say, explain this article to me as though I'm a fourteen year old who doesn't understand science, and it'll do it instantly. Like it really comes down to, like you go, all right, a kitchen knife as a tool, a pushbike as a tool, you know, an la LAMB, a large learning model or AI is a tool. It really comes down to how we use it and people who are terrified of it. One. I understand that because new things can be terrifying. But to figure out I was talking to my friend Christian last night at the gym. TI. If you know Christian, tall, goofy Christian, and God bless him. He's a great man. You know him as well. He used to work at harp.
Speaker 2: Yeah I do, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And Christian's dyslexic and that's not a you know, that's just you know, it's like he's six foot four and he's also dyslexic, right, It's just part of who he is. And I was explaining to him, you know, for somebody like him to just be able to talk rather than write or even and so he doesn't use it. And so I got it out in the gym and I said, look at this. So I just pressed it and I said, you know, it explained to me the difference between spiritually and religion, because he's quite spiritual. He's going down this big spiritual rabbit and it's like, noa, I go ask it anything you want, And he asked it a question, I go, by the way, this is Christian, and it goes, oh, hi Christian, great question, and then it answers and I'm like, dude, just talk to it. But it will answer anything you want. You don't have to read, you don't have to type. All you've got to do is be able to talk. It will talk back to you. And by the way, whatever it says to you, there's also a written version if you do want to happen to cut and paste that into a document or something. And so where you like I said to it the other day, over the next two years, I want to develop you know, this, this, this, this, this, and this, Like there's there's academic stuff, there's podcast stuff, there's business, there's corporate, there's you know, there's all these different components to what I want to do be create over the next two years. And it's like, can you help me plan this? And it's like absolutely, And then it just comes up with all these brilliant like you're sitting with a high end business coach, and then it says, would you like me to unpack any of these? I go, yeah, this bit here, what do you mean by that? Can you un And then it goes absolutely. I mean, all you need to do, need to know is how to best interact with it. It's I mean this is people are scared of it. I think people should be excited. I think AI taking over down the track when it becomes sentient, which will be about next Thursday. That's a different matter.
Speaker 2: One of the things I'm always mindful of is what I'm fing into AI because obviously there's privacy concerns. But if you're using the free version of chatchpt and you don't log into it as long as so, for example, you might have a medical report that you wanted to look at, you could paste all you know. I recently went to my GP, I got my annual blood test done being vegan, and I'm already is always mindful that I've got the right nuxperience and that I'm tracking okay. And you know, the doctor said to me, this is great. You know your figures are really really good. But I could potentially put all of those in, but use it without logging in, and don't put all your personal details. Just put the results so it's not going to attribute that to you. If you're concerned, I've got to tell you one very quick quote we're talking quotes before. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you. Who said that?
Speaker 1: I do not know, but I'm not mad at it. I quite like it, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I actually have that printed in my office. It was Gandalf from the Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say Gandy, but okay.
Speaker 2: It's like it's a great quote though, isn't it.
Speaker 1: You know what Gandy said and you're not. One of his most famous quotes be the change you want to see in the world. Yeah, yeah, a little better than Gandalf, but yeah.
Speaker 2: One of the most inspiring piece perpose people I ever saw was attending a talk being given by the Dalai Lama. Now there's a bloke. There's a bloke who who has the magical qualities of Gandalf. He was he was pretty amazing to see.
Speaker 1: Do you and I go to that together or no? Because I saw him as.
Speaker 2: Well, I wonder if we did. He has an amazing giggle as well. And you know the other cool thing is that we we we share the same birthday, not the same birth year, but the same birth day.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, out to the Dalai Lama. If he listening. I know he's a big fan. He doesn't catch every episode.
Speaker 2: No, No, that's right, I.
Speaker 1: Think mainly yours. Let's do one or two more, mate.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you about another AI story because this kind of freaked me out, and I'm not until entirely sure that I think it's a good idea. But we've heard about digital resurrections where you take a whole lot of footage of somebody who's died and then you get AI to generate an artificial version of that person. It could be them saying something. This is really full on. So a murder victim has addressed his killer in a court thanks to AI resurrection. Okay, So there's the sister of this guy who who was murdered. Stacy Wales used AI to generate a video of her brother Christopher, and she actually got she was able to play this artificial version of him to the courtroom in the final sentence because he was killed in a road rage incident. This is in Arizona, and this is reported on NPR. And she said, look, the struggle, the thing she struggled with. This court case went over two years, and she said, what she struggled with the most was that he didn't get to say, he didn't get a chance to speak. So it motivated her. Just woke up one day and thought, I've got footage of him. I've got some real video of him. I want him to address and I want people to know who he was. It wasn't. The thing is the interesting thing about this artificial version of him, this AI generated version, was it wasn't about having a go at the person who killed him. In fact, it was the opposite. It was he would have tried to show some sort of sympathy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It was actually quite an amazing generated you know. I watched the little video clip and it was it was pretty full on to watch this AI video clip. But it concerns me that you could do that in a court case. And I don't know what the legal systems like in the US. And you know, because they have what they call the victim impact statements, and so she was entered in as the victim impact statement from the victim themselves. I think it opens up a big can of worms because you're giving voice to something. And as I said, this was an accusatory thing. This wasn't evidence. This was just this is who I am, and these were my ideals, is what they did with this video clip. But what a can of worms that is?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That term digital resurrection, that's creepy. That's a creepy fucking digital resurrection. It's like, I understand the motivation on her part, but whoever scripted it, whoever whoever scripted the words using his voice and his image, he didn't do it like that. Not, you know, so to go, this is what he wants to tell you. No, this is what you I understand it though, but it's it's I don't know that that legally or practically that that's going to have any impact. I mean emotionally, emotionally, I get it.
Speaker 2: What if I took every single podcast you've ever recorded, put it into a large language model, and asked it, what would Craig say? What? You know? What?
Speaker 1: I know?
Speaker 2: What would be amazing would be to isolate you in one location and then do a large language model of everything you've ever said publicly, all the podcasts and information, and then ask a series of ten questions and see how much the AI version of you responds to the real you. Wouldn't that blow your mind? How interesting would that be.
Speaker 1: Interesting to you? Yeah? It would but it's still not the actual person in real life, in real time. But yeah, look, I mean, and where it's going, who knows it's so it's it's it's getting pretty close to where it can I guess with a high level of predictability know what you're going to say, because you've because you're I mean, we're all quite predictable. We like to think we're not, but I'm sure I'm very predictable. You know. I don't want to think I'm special, but I'm not.
Speaker 2: Well, it's I think a few episodes, well quite a few episodes ago. It might have been even a couple of years ago, there was a guy who who'd lost his father and was so devastated he decided to try to build a digital version of his father using you know, video and cassette recordings and all that sort of stuff. And you know, there is that it is a morbid kind of connection, and I guess part of the grieving process is letting go and having memories and having a digital representation of that person and interacting with them on a daily basis. Like he was talking to his dead father every day. He was interacting with him, so he was never letting go. Of that person because he in his mind he'd recreated it was a digital resurrection of that person via AI.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm very careful to judge how people grieve. I reckon whatever works for you. You know, it's like how many people talk to their dead partner? How many people go to a grave and talk as though they're there and they're listening, And how many people you know you just don't know. I think it's like when you talk to that person that's no longer here, but you sense they're here or their energies here, how does that make you feel? I feel great, I feel connected. I know they're listening. I know this, I know that, And then who are we to go? Yeah, well that's not true though they're dead. So I think like I don't know, Like we don't know. Fuck, I don't know what happens.
Speaker 2: Like one of my dearest friends, she lost her husband, who was quite young relatively when he died. Gosh, it was twenty thirteen, so quite a while ago. And I remember calling her a few days after he died because I spent a lot of time with him when he was going through cancer, and I'd catch up with him once a week and we went from going for coffee together to me bringing coffee to him, you know, but he wasn't able to leave his home. And then a few days after he died, I called my friend and she wasn't able to take the call, and it was his voice on her message service. And I was so confronted because I could hear the voice of this guy I had so much respect for and I love her dearly, and I thought, oh gosh, it's him on the message and it still is, you know, all that time later, whenever I'm not as challenged now. I actually I would hang up the phone before the message came on because it was freaking me out a bit when that first happened. So I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to have a digital recreation and interact with someone who had passed away. Yeah, I'm challenged by the concept, but that grieving process and we need to move on.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: One another friend of mine lost her husband three years ago and now she's met somebody new. And it's not like she loves her husband any less, you know, she had this amazing journey and he passed away, but she now has a new relationship, so it doesn't lessen how much we love that person. I think that again, it's part of the grieving process, but we need to move on from that and forming those new relationships. You know, if a close friend passes away or we lose someone in our life, then maybe it just means that it makes way for somebody else to take that space or a little part of the space that we want for that person.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, its good chatting with you, buddy. Tell people how to connect with you and reach out if they want to.
Speaker 2: Websites now dot com today you or tie chair at home dot com TODAYU. So there's the yin and yang of my lifestyle. One is my one is my work, and one is my past, and it's nice to have them overlap.
Speaker 1: And Tiff, try not to lose your shit at your cat in the upcoming days if you would, yes, sir, we'll say goodbye affair. But for now, thanks kids, Thanks everyone,