Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That, the podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Uncale Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the podcast Fear and Greed business News. As always, I'm with Cannon Campbell, financial planner, founder of Sugar Mama TV, the financial literacy platform which you'll find on YouTube, podcast books, Instagram, threads, TikTok, keynotes, speeches, just say keynote speeches.
Speaker 2: Just then, No, you said keynote. I heard it. Oh god, I'm clear, Okay, all.
Speaker 1: Right, I wish I hadn't drawn attention to it. Now. Hello, Canna, good morning, how are you? I am going well? Today we are talking about chat GPT, one of our favorite topics.
Speaker 2: I have mentioned in previous episodes that I'm in a relationship, a complicated relationship with chat GBT.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to explore the depths of that relationship today because I've been seeing a lot of posts online. Just the look on your face just then, thought you thought I was going somewhere inappropriate.
Speaker 2: Didn't you. No, honestly, no, No, that's your mind that's in the gutter, not mine.
Speaker 1: Fair I'll take that a lot of talk lately about chat gpt as you would.
Speaker 2: Expect, Oh yeah, ai is viral.
Speaker 1: It's huge, but in particular how it can manage your budget. A lot of people talking about on Instagram and TikTok and everything that they're using chat gpt to manage their household budget. So I'm curious does it work? How does it work? Should we all be doing it? These are the questions I'm going to ask you. Let's start with the very basics, though, if we may, can it actually help or is this just a gimmick?
Speaker 2: No, it can help, It really can, but it's I would say, a tool to assist you in getting started is not actually the complete solution, and it can definitely help create awareness in your spending. But most importantly, it can actually provide you a structure, which is really valuable. If you're someone who knows you've got to do a budget, keeps putting it off and feels completely overwhelmed. So this will literally within seconds, create a structure for you to get started.
Speaker 1: Okay, what I'm going to do. I want to get a bit more of an understanding of how it all works, and then a little bit later on we're going to do a little bit of a demo. And I've done a demo too, and we're going to put it to the tests.
Speaker 2: I tested it as well.
Speaker 1: Oh great, we have a budget battle. We can make them fight. What are the kinds of things then? Is it just structural? Is it just going hey, I need to kind of figure out how this is all going to fit together. Is it just a structural thing? Is it personalized kind of how much detail or is it just the fact that you've got to put more detail in in order to get something more detailed out.
Speaker 2: So the prompts are key, and the more information you can share with chat gibt, the better the content or the solution that it's going to give you back. So you know, you can get it to create like a weekly budget or a monthly budget. It can also dump everything into an Excel spreadsheet or even a Google sheets, which makes it really easy to get started. It can also help categorize your spending habits, so you can put you know, all your clothing, so you might have like sports clothing, kids clothing, uniforms. It can actually group them all together so you can really hone in and see where you're spending money. And it can also help you consider or analyze which budgeting methods you know that are quite popular right now that might be suited for you, such as you know, the envelope system or the fifty thirty twenty or the zero based budgeting rules, which we've spoken about on previous episodes, and it can really help you brainstorm different saving strategies and then project how you might be tracking for a particular goal. But you've got to put that goal obviously in there in the first place.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll get to those questions that you should be asking the very first thing that you should be kind of putting to chat GPT in a sec. But I'm getting the vibe from you that it is probably more for beginners rather than someone who's already got an So you're you are an experienced budget Yeah, you are probably going to be better than chat GPT at this.
Speaker 2: Look. I had to go at putting our budget in and you can even actually copy and paste your transactions, like your bank transactions into chat GPT to help you do your budget, which is quite a cool little hack. But I put ours in and I was my I'm going to sound horrible, but I think the results I thought were pretty pathetic, and I thought they were fraught with danger. And that's my honest opinion, because you really, if you want to be good at your budget, you've got to make sure you can also stick to it to make it good. So then that's why I think it becomes very one dimensional. But I still think chat GPT is a great way to get started, particularly for beginners. So you would use it as your first draft to get started one hundred percent, But then you've got to build with detail and be incredibly intentional and informed from that point on, So it could potentially, I'm when I sort of undo the meanness by saying that it's a great tool to get started and create that awareness, and it could potentially, once you build from there, make you a bit of an expert budgeter.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I think we're now kind of figuring out the scope here. Really it is an introductory thing. It is more of set up the bones and then you pat it out yourself.
Speaker 2: Yes exactly.
Speaker 1: We will in a minute do that full demo because I'm so intrigued. I want to see where the problems are. When you say that it's pathetic, I want to know what assumptions it made that were wrong or what it told you that it's just not feasible, that kind of thing. So we'll get to that in a minute. All right, if we are just coming into it as using it for a starting point, Okay, where do we start? What's the first thing that we should be asking it? Is it putting our overall householding come in and saying help me?
Speaker 2: Yes? So, first thing, I think you's be real clearest to what you want. You know, do you want a weekly budget? You're a monthly budget, or do you want to sort of map out the next three hundred and sixty five days? And then obviously you've got to put in as much information as possible, so you know income, you know, all your regular expenses, all your irregular irregular expenses, you know, even talking about when expenses are due. And you could also put in some goals if you like. I'd also be asking chat GPT when when you're doing your budget, what am I missing here? And you can ask questions like, you know, where can I save the most amount of money or where could I redirect these savings to help me with my goals? You know, try and not be too vague because you're only going to get vague responses back. But so the more information you can put in the better. And also I mean with chat GPT you can it gets to learn your voice, so the more if you've been using it for a while, it understands a little bit about yourself and what's important to you, so it can if you've been using chat GBT for a while, that can be too advantage improving the output that you get.
Speaker 1: As you've been saying this, it does strike me that there are some potential risks as well, security risks, and there have been a lot of warnings out there about using chat GPT, but almost trusting it too much. It is not a financial planner. It's not someone who basically is sworn to secrecy and will protect your confidentiality. That you are putting information in there, that essentially you are providing it to a public company, and that it is not secure what you're putting in there, so you should. You are fine to put in broad information like I need a weekly budget, and this is how much I spend on my mortgage, and this is how much money I'm making a month, for instance, But you would never put in tax file here's my.
Speaker 2: Bank account detail exactly. Absolutely going to be really like common sense, but also be smart because it can be hacked, and you know, as you I know, it could definitely become public, so you've obviously got to be smart about that.
Speaker 1: But de identify it essentially, take the identifying details out exactly.
Speaker 2: And I did a bit of you know, I obviously ran my own budget through it, and then I jumped online and I went down a bit of a rabbit warren. But I found quite a few people who had been doing budgets through chat gpt, and a lot of them said that there were some mathematical errors. Oh dear, so and it does have that, It does have that disclosure, you know, check you know, the evidence, check the facts. You know, chat gpt does have errors, and it did.
Speaker 1: Okay, I could expect logic errors, reasoning errors. You cannot excuse mathematical errors when it is a computer, right, That is the one thing that a computer should be able to do without error.
Speaker 2: This is what I not for my person experiences. This is what I was reading on other forums of other people who had had to go and had frustrations with it.
Speaker 1: And all right, I'll call my jets.
Speaker 2: I will admit most people were overly impressed with the quality of the budget that was created, but they were happy to use it to help them get on their way.
Speaker 1: So the key limitations then are it is not going to be particularly complex what it puts out and not super tailored to you exactly.
Speaker 2: So there are a few nuances, and it doesn't understand you know how you and your family use money and how you like to use money, and you know where your particular values and boundaries are. It's not going to know those intimate details.
Speaker 1: Okay. In that case, it sounds like you are a little lukewarm on the idea.
Speaker 2: I think it's a little bit pathetic, but I think it's you know, for anyone that is overwhelmed and needs to do a budget and it just keeps putting it off and just procrastinating and burying out the sand. No, I think it's a great tool for them. Okay, But if you're someone who has a budget and is the problem isn't actually doing the budget but sticking to a budget, the chatty is not going to help you unless you start being really particular and saying, all right, here is my budget. Where am I going wrong? You know? And that's when it can potentially look at your current insurance and compare different policies, or it can look at you know, solutions to help you cut down on groceries. So it can I guess it can help you hone in on particular areas if you're really clear about where you need help within your budget. But it's not going to create a finely tuned budget system. And I always say this like a budget is really just a flaky piece of paper unless you are intentionally sticking to it, and you are reviewing it and on a regular basis, and you are also cross referencing it on a regular basis, you know, against your transactions. It is really just a piece of a bit of an intention that you've put on paper. You know, you need to do the hard work. I mean, chat TPT is not going to make sticking to your budget for you. You've got to do that. So you've got to go to the supermarket knowing I've got a price limit as to how much I can spend or you know what, I can't afford to buy that this month because I've already all to sern amount of money to a clothing allowance in my budget. So you know that's not chat GPT that's you. And this is the thing that I find annoying about chat GPTs. If you are really genuinely serious about doing a budget and doing it properly and taking your financial will being seriously. Some of the best insights, awareness wake up calls are hard moments, whatever you want to call it, actually come from sitting down for a couple of hours with your laptop open in front of you and your bank accounts and looking at you know, printing off your statements and sitting with there with a calculator and a piece of paper or in a journal or you know, or plugging into Excel spreadsheet. That's it's Yes, it's borrowing, Yes it's dull, but that is I think the most amazing experience to go through because you're doing the proper deep working and chat GPT can tell you, Michael, you spend way too much money at JB hi FI. You know, you can look at all how much money you've spent on your credit card statement, for example, but sometimes you discovering that yourself has a far greater impact and creates a bigger and better shift for you to go. You know what, I remember that moment, that aha moment where I was confronted with the reality of spending too much money on electronic goods. So there I am right now walking into JB High Fine, going to make a quick turn around it. I don't feel like the impact is going to be a strong one. You use chat GBT, probably sounding a little bit too philosophical for you know, a morning, but.
Speaker 1: I feel like I've just received a sermon at the Church of Canna. It's also passionate about budget. No, no, don't apologize for that. That is fantastic. This is this is good. That's what I was looking for. I still want to pick apart a chat GBT budget, though. If you're willing to die, let's do it. Well, let's take a very quick break and then we'll come back and you can just fire up that passion once again and rip it to pieces. Canna. We are looking at chat GP and whether it can fix your budget, whether it can manage your budget, whether it can get you started, and so far, yeah, yeah, yeah, it probably can get you started. Is what you've said, that it can provide a little bit of a framework, but really it is down to you to do the work or you can get it to look at particular problem areas and try and figure out where you were going wrong and come up with some hints and things. But nothing is quite going to replace the time that you spend analyzing it yourself and looking at it. Because you know your life. A computer doesn't know your life exactly.
Speaker 2: Why couldn't I have just said that, like the way is I hopped on for so long?
Speaker 1: No, that was good. I enjoyed it. I just I was getting lost in that. Yeah, I've got a fascination with budgeting, and so I.
Speaker 2: Like budging and multiple bank accounts.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it didn't sales any good at either of those things. So a demo. Let's do this. You tell me where it works where it doesn't work. So we're putting into CHAT two pt A, let's go with a budget. A monthly budget for a couple two kids doesn't matter. I suppose whether they're married or not. I don't know how old. How much detail do you need to give? Do you need to give names?
Speaker 2: Chat GPTs is interested whether you're married or not.
Speaker 1: This is Philip and Charlotte, and they have two kids named Roberta and Steve. They've chosen kids names straight out of the eighties, apparently, and anyway they earn what's a good figure? Should we say, what do you reckon one hundred and twenty one hundred and twenty, one hundred and twenty each or.
Speaker 2: One hundred and twenty combined, Because these are important details.
Speaker 1: Let's say one hundred and twenty. Let's say it's one full time and one part time.
Speaker 2: Okay, God, look at us just but these are the details. I mean, particular couples manage money differently. You know, if you've got two people working, they might split expenses. So these are little things that you know, this is where the nuances come in.
Speaker 1: I guess okay, all right, So in that case, earning one hundred and twenty thousand dollars combined, let's say ninety thousand full time for one and thirty thousand part time for the other. Okay? Happy paying to two hundred dollars rent? Ye? Okay? Wanting to save for a holiday, they want to pay it down some credit card debt?
Speaker 2: How much credit card are you?
Speaker 1: Remember?
Speaker 2: Were going to put information in.
Speaker 1: Oh, what's a good figure? Five thousand dollars?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: Is that a good yeah?
Speaker 2: I think that's just done of the average about the Australian Australian has.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I love that. We're just making this up along the way, and it feels like I'm trying to pass a test with you. Just make it up and put in whatever we want, all right. We whacked that into chat GPT. Okay, it has come back saying that here is a suggested monthly budget rent two thousand and two hundred dollars groceries one thousand dollars. That's not on. That's that's not accurate. That's not okay. For a monthly budget thousand dollars two hundred and fifty dollars a week, four people.
Speaker 2: Less than because it's four point two.
Speaker 1: Five so let's twenty just over two hundred. Yeah, two hundred dollars a week for grocery. Okay, Chat GPT, you are dreaming next utility is and internet it reckons three hundred and fifty bucks.
Speaker 2: No, that's that's way too low.
Speaker 1: Okay, Transport fuel regi earl, et cetera six hundred bucks. We're kind of asking chat GPT to do the impossible.
Speaker 2: Letters.
Speaker 1: We didn't say how far the old mate has to drive or or either of them, or where the kids go to school and how they get there all that kind of thing, and they.
Speaker 2: Might have a pet, but they have to include pet food and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: For their insurance. It says three hundred dollars. Kids activities and school four hundred dollars. Again, this is plucked figures out of nowhere because we didn't say whether it was private school, whether there was extra.
Speaker 2: Expenses, and we haven't added in there whether we live in now it's you and I are the married couple with our two children, see better, but it hasn't that we haven't actually been shared though, whether we live regionally or in a major city, because they're very two very different living expenses as well.
Speaker 1: And entertainment and dining three hundred bucks. That seems pretty that's that's I mean for a family that's on a budget, that's a pretty good amount for allocated to entertaining and dining out. Debt repayment five hundred dollars per month on the credit card. I can I can see the look on your Okay, you are groaning, you are cringing at that.
Speaker 2: That's a really unattractive for people to listen to it.
Speaker 1: Yes, but is that because this shows the priorities of this budget that it is not a This is not a budget that's built around trying to pay down toxic debt.
Speaker 2: And if you think about, you know, credit card debt, the interest rate applied can be up to twenty two percent. So if you've got five thousand dollars in credit card debt, you know you're still having to spend a lot of wasting a lot of money on interest and taking your sweet ass time and actually paying that off. So that's where I get a little bit concerned. And also, then what is it doing to your ability to borrow money further down the track if you're taking your time to pay off credit card?
Speaker 1: It's got three hundred dollars for holiday savings. That's pretty good. Yeah, putting that much in emergency fund savings, that's good. Three hundred and fifty dollars. Chat CHPT says we didn't mention saving for an emergency fund in the prompt. I mean we gave it. I'm impressed, So that's good. That's a good kind of fundamental. And then finally two one hundred dollars miscellaneous, and then it says this total is around six and a half thousand dollars a month, which fits within your take home income. After tax. Okay, give it a mark out of ten five five.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, I like that it's got us started and doing a budget together. I like that it's really neat and compartmentalized, so it's easy to understand and it's easy then to also review. I love that it's addressed the savings like holiday savings, and the debt repayment, even though it's a questionable the debt repayment. And I like that it forces you to see where you know, money could go into different buckets potentially with your different spending categories. However, and this may be us to blame. It's way too generic. You know, real households have quirks. You know, I have to pay for childcare. You might have different medical bills than me. You know, birthdays? Has it factored in? We you know we might have a wedding anniversary coming up?
Speaker 1: Or I how this is now us? And how again? I don't even remember who we said the All I remember is Roberta and Steve, the two the two kids.
Speaker 2: Anyway, carry on, you know what about sports, like and some sports are really quite cost effective, Like you're a tennis player, other than a tennis bracket and some balls it's pretty economical.
Speaker 1: In dresser horses cost very expensive.
Speaker 2: I think the utilities at you know, the internet and gas electricity combined, that seemed a little bit low. You know, I think most people spent about at least seventy dollars a month on internet, so that estimate's very low, and it hasn't considered anything for sort of I guess it had the miscellaneous, But where's the consideration for spontaneous expenses, you know, like you're having a kid's birthday and you need to pay for that, or you're one that gets missed on people's budgets. For all the time when I'm taking people's budgets is kid's birthday presents, And that always knocks people for six because I'll have They'll say, oh god, we blew our budget. You know, my two of my kids both had two sets of birthday parties, and before I knew it, I was spending a fortune on you know, the locals toy shop, buying all these gifts. So it doesn't kind of factor with the reality of life. And you know, I think there's the numbers, how realistic one thousand dollars a month for groceries. Again, it boils down to you your diet and does that include you know, a takeaway maybe once a month and also no two weeks are the same, like depending on activities, what's going on, whether you've got people coming over, whether you're going out, whether you have your own vegetable garden at home. Like it's missing it, it's missing some fundamental details. But we can still work with this, I'd say, So.
Speaker 1: It's missing the grit that it needs kind of thing it's which is really this is a good lesson you are You only get out what you put in to it. So if you put in detail that you're going to get detail out. So if you're going to do this, put in enough detail that it's actually going to give you something productive. Be specific on what you are currently spending, on, what your lifestyle circumstances are. Leave the kids' names out of it, Leave the kind of identifying details out of it. Give them kind of pseudonyms, call them if you must, Steve and ROBERTA. And you are going to get slightly better results. On another occasion, if you'd be open to it, I want to talk to you as well about chat GPT developing a theme here but for investing, because I would love that it has become a major, major thing. And there was some data released recently by Charted Accountants Australian New Zealand that said nearly fifty percent of Australian investors are now using artificial intelligence for financial advice as it relates to investing, which is so high.
Speaker 2: You know what. I got a phone call last week asking if I could come and have a chat about AI and financial planners and I was like, I couldn't do it. But I was like, what is it all about? And they're like, oh, we've got We've seen some new data. Most financial planners are now using chat GPT to do financial plans.
Speaker 1: It feels like there's another episode in Sure Okay, all right, thank you for casting your eye over these budgets and delivering your withering assessment of chat GPT's ability. Where do we find you if we want more information?
Speaker 2: Well, the first and best place to get a hold of me is on Instagram at Sugar Mama TV, or you can reach out directly to me on my personal account Canna Campbell Official.
Speaker 1: And you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed Business News. You can use Thank you for listening to how Do They Afford That? Remember to follow on this podcast, and the best thing you can do is tell somebody else or send them a link to this episode and help spread the word about how do they Afford That? Thank you for your company. Join us again next week.