Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That? The podcast that peeks into the financial lives of every day Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed, and as always I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner, founder of Sugar Mama TV, and my co author on our upcoming book, Twelve Months to Financial Freedom. Canna, Hello, Hello, So today's episode comes from a listener. I love these kinds of episodes because they can go in any direction. Right. Chris on Instagram wrote in and said this, and Chris wrote to me, not to you. I want to make that abundantly clear. Chris said, Hi, Michael, I'll add on to the asking you questions instead of Canner because I think many many months ago I put out an appeal. It was basically just one of pure pity, asking people to just feel sorry for me and get in touch with me because I was feeling neglected. Anyway, Chris has done that, and Chris says, I've been inspired by How Do They Afford That to get back on top of growing my share portfolio and had set a goal to reach by twenty twenty eight due to market upswings, I'm now close to reaching that goal, which is amazing. All right, that's twenty twenty eight that Chris was aiming for and now they've achieved it nearly in twenty twenty six. But with the stock market volatilities, how do I keep goals dynamic and deal with setbacks and increases that are not in my control? Or do I set habit goals rather than number goals? What do I do? So if we take a look at that, Chris set a goal to grow their share portfolio certain amount by twenty twenty eight, that a good run at the time they're how close to hitting that goal years early? It raises some good questions, doesn't it about kind of what do you do when your financial goals change? How do you stay motivated when the share market has other ideas? Shall we start with Chris's dilemma? If it's a dilemma at all, They've kind of done the right thing. They've set a goal, now they're almost there.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, congratulations, Yes, I mean this is impressive, and you know, not many people can say that. And let's step back and look at this. This is a good problem to have. Oh yeah, you know, but before you do anything, you know, don't go move the goal post, like, take a deep breath. Oh really, yeah, and come back to what was the reason you got started in building this share portfolio in the first place.
Speaker 1: Oh, is this reconnecting with your why a little bit?
Speaker 2: Well yeah, yeah, so you know what was this money actually for? So, you know, some people get into the share mark and build a share portfolio with the idea of using it as a deposit to buy their home, whereas others like to invest in shares with the idea of living off the passive income stream. You know, other people like to do it for a particular niche goal, perhaps, you know, to help build up an investment portfolio that helps pay for children's education and create options in life. So the number is never really the destination. It's actually about building the vehicle. There's going to help you achieve something that is much bigger here. So obviously, looking at shares, it's a long term investment product, you know, sort of minimum seven years, if not indefinitely. So come back and go, well, hang on, what was my reason for getting started, And then you can start to think about whether you need to move the goalposts at all or whether you need to change your strategy, change your mindset, or even change the exit plan.
Speaker 1: Okay, does that then mean number goals? Forget about it. Unless that number is a time duration, just don't target. I want to grow it to a certain amount by x. It is I want to achieve what is the bigger picture goal, whether it is I want to have passive income or I want to do something.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to your goals, I think you should add detail. It shouldn't be just I want to build a passive income of say eighty thousand dollars. Yeah, it should be I want to build a passive income of eighty thousand dollars so that it can pay for, you know, me, to be able to retire early part time at age fifty five instead of sixty five. I give it a lot more depth and meeting and substance. Okay, So it's got more grit and you've got greater sort of tenacity to want to embrace it and happen as a part of your life. Number goals are still extremely important because how do you know if you've achieved a goal without seeing that number? You know it gives them, gives you something to like a tangible. I guess something you can sink your teeth in when you have that number. And one thing I will say is people who don't have goals, you know, that's where you tend to drift a lot and waste a lot of time. And that's when people come to me and say, I'm treading water. I never get ahead, you know, like another year's past and I still haven't done anything, Like what's going on? I'll say, well, what's your goals? And they either have a fluffy, flaky goal or they don't have a goal at all. And that's sort of the common denominator I see. So having a really clear investment target helps create a sense of like direction, motivation, and accountability. You know, you've got a goal to work on. You find yourself catching yourself going to waste money. You go, well, hang on, remember I've got this goal again.
Speaker 1: Okay. Does it make more sense though than okay you need to know where the finish line is or at least what you're working towards. But does it make more sense in the short term at least to set habit goals in that I'm going to invest I'm going to put aside one hundred dollars a month for investing or something like that.
Speaker 2: So you need both, Okay, it's not one or the other. Have the goal, make sure the goal excites you, lights up something you empowers you. And then when you've got that goal, you've got the exact number, you've got the timeframe, and you really understand your why. You know, I talk about this in my Money Mindset Manifestation program. If I was to jump into an elevator with you and we've got twenty seconds, you've got to give me your goals, and you've got to be able to articulate them with all of those three things and talk about them in a positive present way. So then you've got your goal, you've got your why, you've got the deadline, you've got the amount, you've got the landing destination which you've spoken about for your lottery money for example, And then you can then look at the habits. All right, what are the things I can do today that will help get me to where I am? You know, even if you look at what's one simple thing every single day, do that for three hundred and sixty five days, see where that takes you. So this is where you can look at the habits, the mindset, the reactions, the systems that you have in place, the routines, the rituals that are all in positive alignment to those goals. So it's the goal, but also the habit system and the stacked habit system that helps support it.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about the role that market volatility I suppose plays in all of this and kind of going back to what Chris actually was asking about, where it's worked in their favor. Absolutely that they've had a really good run and now they're close to achieving these goals. Sometimes you do everything right and still go backwards. Though, how hard or how important is it to have those goals in those circumstances.
Speaker 2: So volatility isn't a flaw when it comes to investing. It's just, you know, what we pay for to be able to access those opportunities for long term growth. This is very very normal. In fact, Shane Oliver, who's is AMPS like leading Economists, is probably one of the most respected economists in our country. He says, corrections around fifteen sorry, five to fifteen percent, you know, are actually very normal and very natural, and sometimes they're actually a good thing because they present opportunities to be able to buy the same quality assets, but obviously at a discount. So you know, it's part of the parcel of investing. You've got to understand what you're getting yourself into when it comes to your financial strategy in trying to achieve that particular goal.
Speaker 1: How then, do you separate your own performance right from the market's performance. Is it a case of as long as you stick to your guns and stick to what you have set out to do. And this goes back to the habit based goals of saying, hey, I'm going to put aside one hundred dollars a month for investing, and as long as you kind of stick with that is the whole point that, as you said, it's not a short term thing. You need to just stick to your plan and you can help and you can ride out the volatility.
Speaker 2: Yes, so being patient and being consistent is extremely important. Obviously not getting distracted by the headlines and the use and you know, people's opinions and the clickbait that sort of comes our way and obviously puts temptation to obviously run for the hills and sell everything, but you do need to stick to it. But also you need to make sure that you're educating yourself along the way. You know, it's very easy to make your first investment and then the share market crashes the next day. It happens all the time. But you've got to, as you said, as I said, stick to it, review it, come back to your goals, and educate yourself. And when you educate yourself, you understand the importance of diversification. You understand the importance of reinvesting your dividends. Particularly you know when the market is down, because the money is going back in and you're accumulating more units, more shares at a discounted price, and to understand how that impacts the goal. Does that mean you're potentially getting more passive income streams? Learning how to control your emotions and be able to move through the fear and look at the actual facts of the situation. That's how I would measure success, not by a fleeting number within a very short period of time.
Speaker 1: All right, we're going to take a quick break when we.
Speaker 2: Actually before we sorry, before we take a break, I also want to say, it's also the strategy here that's been missed, the strategy and the habits that have been built. I mean, yes, Chris has built this amazing investment follow and he's overshot his goal, which is fabulous. But look at the intangible value of what he's created. There's strategy and what it's going to give him further down the track. So that's also that comes into the success he's gotten started, that successful, he's on his way. That is successful, he's taken he's taken a proactive approach and managing financial stress and building financial independence. That success. Stop pinning it all against the value of the share portfolio. It's not enough to indicate and determine your level of success.
Speaker 1: Okay, Chris can take a lot out of that then, And also we're assuming that Chris is.
Speaker 2: A he oh sorry, that my assumption.
Speaker 1: This is one of those This is one of those great mysteries. It could be Christine could be Christina could be Christopher. Will never know, well, actually we will know.
Speaker 2: Well hopefully listen to this and the essay they because we don't know what gendim it used to identify with. But hope fully Chris, whoever you are, wherever you are, you won't be a fan of that. We assumed, I assumed male.
Speaker 1: And all right, now, very awkwardly, we're going to go to a break just while we settle ourselves and come back on the other side. I want to talk to you then about because we've touched on volatility and you mentioned some of the things that some of the benefits really of when the market does dip a little bit. I want to look at four investors why a pullback can actually be useful and the things that experienced investors would be looking for the opportunities there. So we'll do that in a moment. Cana. We are working our way through a listener question today, and this was the question from Chris, basically about the fact that they have got this share portfolio underway, had a goal that they were hoping to hit by twenty twenty eight, and really getting very very close to hitting it nearly two years early, which is fantastic. But the market volatility is the big variable here. You don't know which way it's going to go. Sometimes it goes in your favor, sometimes it goes against you. Can those pullbacks actually be useful? Really? And what I want to know from you here is what are the opportunities that experienced investors would be looking for when the market does go backwards, and perhaps that newer investors might miss.
Speaker 2: So I like to think of it when the market has a correction, that you think of it as a stock take clearance at your favorite store. So let's use for example, Meyer, you know you the same things that you would you need and you want to buy are now twenty percent off, maybe even thirty percent off. Now does that mean that you don't go shopping anymore? Of course you do, because there you can buy the same thing at a much greater discount, and that supports all of your needs. For example, in your bed, it's exactly the same with the stock market pullback, you're actually able to buy the same quality. Looking at me, very old, Okay, okay, I'm using example of bedlin and I recently bought some bedlinen on sales.
Speaker 1: I think that came to mind in that case, it's very important to emphasize that your needs in the bedroom are related to the linen on the bed. It's just this moment.
Speaker 2: Related to getting a good night's sleep, because it's sleep as what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: Watching your face just going at some point it is going to sink in what you just said. And it took a good twelve seconds.
Speaker 2: You can tell I haven't been sleeping very something. My mind did not go to the gutter. Clearly yours did. I was thinking about a great night sleep and a really nice comfortable bed and a really peaceful room and no children trying to come in throughout the night on dogs barking. So but you know, what I'm trying to say is you were able to buy the same quality assets at a great discount. And if you're a long term investor, you can see the opportunity and you actually get excited about this. And you know, some investors, you know, a classic example of who we interviewed a year and a half ago was Roger Montgomery. He will sit on the sidelines with so much self control, building up his cash, and then when this happens, he goes all in, you know. And Warren Buffett's another classic example of this. The very they use this as a great opportunity. They're very strategic, they want this to happen. They've been waiting for this to happen. That's where experienced investors thrive. And this is where you depending on obviously on the actual underlying investment and staying within the boundaries of your risk profile. This is actually, you know, make Hay Whilest the sun shines opportunities.
Speaker 1: And it's always as well a good time to see a financial advisor as well to actually go and get some advice that is tailored to your circumstances as well, because yes, there are opportunities out there in those circumstances, and having that advice already in your pocket, ready to go, means that you're prepared.
Speaker 2: And you know what, for time, poor people, all people who can't afford to see a financial planner or you know, just overwhelmed with so many other responsibilities in their lives, go and subscribe to Shane Oliver's newsletter. He sends one out once a month and it's it's easy to read, and he's absolutely brilliant in the way that he explains everything, and he refers back to history. He uses lots of fixative really, so he uses lots of facts and he helps you understand really what's going on and when to be worried and when to actually you get excited and make the most of it. And he's just he's absolutely brilliant. But that's free and that will help calm the nerves and practical advice.
Speaker 1: Shane is a regular guest on Fear and greed is he Yes, he's always he comes on quite often, and his advice and just the way that he is able to cut through a lot of noise always very well received. So pullbacks, we've established that they are useful and that there are things, there are opportunities there for investors. If somebody, not necessarily Chris, because Chris our listener who has gotten in touches clearly already setting goals. But if somebody was setting out today to set some investment goals, what is the right mix here of outcome based and habit based goals? You said before that you need to know what the finish line is, what the target actually is. How do you find that right mix?
Speaker 2: So I think you've got to work backwards from where you want to land. You know, for example, if you want to build one hundred thousand dollars share portfolio over X amount of years, you've got to work out, well, all right, what habits do I need to create to get me there? Is it investing one hundred dollars a week? Is it investing one hundred and fifty dollars a week? And be open and flexible to tweaking and changing that strategy along the way. So it is very much a combination of both.
Speaker 1: Okay, bringing it right back to where we started with good old Chris and this growing shareport folio. You set out by saying stop, take a minute, take a breath, don't go shifting the goalposts now, So what should Chris do?
Speaker 2: Then he should come back to his why now if he had his WIY for this portfolio was to actually use as a deposit, ye and to buy a home. Because his share portfolio is a very volatile long term investment, he may actually be better off obviously after getting advice from an accountant, particularly with the change in CGT rules, in potentially selling it down now, because that then can be put into a savings account and he can start looking for a property buy and he doesn't need to worry about that short term market volatility which is extremely high risk. Here, if he comes back and goes, all right, my goal is actually to build financial freedom. That's what I want. Well, then stick to it, keep going with that strategy, and review your goals and perhaps you can look at a different type of goal. It's not necessarily reflective of the value of the portfolio, because really that's a one dimensional number to be following you know, we talk about this in our book Twelve Months to Financial Freedom. We talk about the mindful Money number goal, which is all about building up the passive income stream. So I would recommend to Chris that they look at they look at a passive income based goal. Now, so I obviously we don't know the size of this portfolio, but just say, for simplistic terms, it say it's one hundred thousand dollars investment portfolio. Say it's generating a passive income stream of say five percent a year, so five thousand dollars a year. Instead of building your goal around building one hundred and fifty thousand dollars investment portfolio, perhaps you look at going, well, okay, I want to build my passive income stream from five thousand dollars a year to say seven and a half thousand dollars a year. That way, you're actually tracking and monitoring something that's actually a lot more tangible than some floating, fluctuating, highly volatile portfolio value. And it also helps calm the nerve so that when corrections happen, which is just a natural part of investing, you can have that calm, rational objective and idea of what to do next, because you're like, well, hang on, yes, my portfolios drop twenty percent, but has my income dried up? Has it that drop twenty percent? Most likely obviously depending on the investments and how well it's diversified. No, So what does this aptually represent and how does that come back to my goals? We'll actually I could buy more and invest more and grow that passive income even further. So this is why I'm such a huge fan of actually having a passive income driven goal based around a mindful money number then, rather than trying to build a net worth or a gross worth, because at the end of the day, if it's capital growth driven, it's so volatile, particularly with shares, and how is that going to support your financial freedom goals? If that's what it's all about?
Speaker 1: All right, So that is a great piece of advice then for Chris, but very quickly, and I hate to put you under a time limit, but in thirty seconds or less. Advice for other listeners who might have started investing bit of market volatility value is coming back? Do they panic?
Speaker 2: I would actually say, stay educated and informed, but stop checking your portfolio. This obsession with constantly checking the portfolio evaluation rather than the income can actually lead you down the garden path and actually come with a lot of regret and a lot of waste of time and energy. Go back to your goals, look at the opportunity, stay educated, and if you need to, just walk away from it. And history shows that markets need approximately eighteen months to recover. So if you're not comfortable with putting more money into the portfolio, that's perfectly fine, but just let it sit there. Make sure it's probably diversified. Check in, but just leave it be and be very careful as to what you're reading online. Who is reputable, who is credible, who's actually got the experience, who's gone through this many many a time and can give some wise consistent advice like Shane Oliver.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, there we go. If we want more information from you, where do we find you.
Speaker 2: The best place to get a contact with me is on Instagram at Sugar Mama.
Speaker 1: TV and you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business News. You can use thank you for listening to how do they afford that? Remember to hit follow on the podcast And the best thing that you can do is actually tell somebody else about the show, Send them a link to the episode and help spread the word. Thank you for your company. Join us again next week.