Speaker 1: Hi, Mike Boris and this is straight talk, Chris Joy, Well do straight talk.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me, mate.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, you're still there, you know, Like I know you're downplay it, but you know you're a portfolio manager. There's which loads to describe yourself as, amongst many other millions of things that I know you do, which we won't talk about today. Portfolio manager at Cooler Bar. Tell me a little bit of a story about Coolerbart and in terms of what you are doing now, like what's what's Coolerbar doing right now? In terms of intergesters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we run fifteen billion across about fifty portfolios. I have fifty three professionals around the world. We have officers in London, Miami, Auckland, Sydney, in mon I'm smiling because you've known me since I was at university and you you kind of backed me the whole way along. So I really appreciate your support.
Speaker 1: Mark, But it's got nothing to do with me, mate, But you've done it all on your own. By the way, for those guys who don't know that, this bloke is the most dynamic, hard working basket I've ever met my wife and he's got a million ideas and the actually actually executes on him, which is the reason I backed him. I did a purely out of economics. From my appointment, I did very well out of him. So don't get him wrong, don't miss into it. But but I did back him, and I believe in him, and I've known his family for a long time too. But mate, what are your portfolios covering off now? So originally we didn't enhance cash fund but you have a lot more things going on now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So today we run enhanced cash strategies, long short credit strategies. I mean, we do everything in fixed income sovereign strategies. Today. We're the biggest trader of ossie Commonwealth government bonds in the world, so we are about five to six percent of the total market turnover. I think we're bigger than anyone according to my guys estimates. But I have fifty three guys around the world and girls. We have twelve traders, nineteen analysts, and we really specialize in just pricing the correct or fair value interest rate for a bond to pay us Australian assets. Our global global, very global. Yeah, so two thirds of our trading. We trade about a billion a day last year we bought and sold close to one hundred and fifty billion. But our edge is we're highly quantitative, so we have eighty different bond pricing models we use around the world. But really what we're trying to do is conceptually simple, what interest rate should CEBA pay us on a three year seeing bond, or A and Z pay us on a five year subordinated bond, or Australia pass on a ten year government bond? And we do that all around the world all day. And we're incredibly active, very systematic, very quantitative and just very rigorous in figuring out what the fair value interest rate is. And what we really want to do mate is find a bond paying seven percent that only pay six and a half percent, and when that interest rate drops down to our fair value target, we get a little bit of price appreciation and then we rinse and repeat. Yeah capital gate, Yeah, get a capital gain exactly. And then today we do offer strategies that actually have very high yields as well. We use some gearing. So you know our floating at HIG Yield fund, which is also available as an ATF. The ticker is a WYLDDX. It's paying about a seven and a half percent weighted average interestrate on its portfolio, and the portfolio is ostensibly very high grade. So the portfolio is seventy percent major bank senior ranking bonds and thirty percent major bank subordinated bonds. The average credit rating is very higher A plus. It's daily liquid, it's floating rate. But we use about sixty five percent gearing to boost the interest rates to the bonds are paying about five percent and we're getting seven and a half percent because we're using that gearing to boost the interest round the portfolio. But cool by capital Investments we set up in twenty eleven with a lot of help from you and your nephew. Luke still works for me. We were just talking about the fact that, look, if you're listening, made you could emulate your uncle's aesthetic appeal and dress sense. Luke's really struggles the way he presents himself.
Speaker 1: And that's because if his father is my.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Adrian, but Luke's our chief operating officer, a brilliant boy, and so yeah, that's that's kind of what we do. We just trade. We trade more actively in austrain fixed income, I think than any other party locally. But we are one of the most active traders in the world, you know, so over the last twenty four hours we probably traded a billion dollars Aussie in the US and European bond markets. And that's why we need a global team. In global officers. We just opened up the Miami office. We've got ten guys in London, five traders in London, five analysts in London, and no one really does what we do. Like we're very differentiated in terms of our approach. Typically in fixed income, it's just you hold too maturity, you buy a bond, you get the yield on the bond less the fees. You don't trade it around. And if you want more yield, you take more risk, you take more liquidity risk, or more default risk, or more interest rate risk, and we don't do that. We focus on super liquid bonds that are very low volatilely that are floating rate, that really don't have any default risk, and we generate the total return through trading. So in the last twelve months, you know, our fleeing right how you'd found in a long shore credit fun would have returned nine to ten percent after fees, and they're currently paying it was around seven seven and a half percent.
Speaker 1: So that means by definition, you gotta understand Instagram markets, you and your team. That is, so let's talk about We'll talk about Australia in the middle of an election period, so it's a bit of a bit tricky, but let's let's park the election period to the side. You know, today, on the day we're doing the podcast, we'd we've got as a big board meeting and there's probably no point because by the tom this goes THEEAH, there's probably the decision is already going to be made. But if we look at if I look forward to May, the main meeting, which I think is around seventeenth y May, off the back of the April numbers, which would be the March quarter numbers, which are pretty important to come out. Where do you see, as where you guys seeing the official rate of interest rates in Australia. I'm not on talking about bomb marks, they're not talking about bbs. I'm talking about just the official rate which off the back of which homeline rates get set. Where do you see official rates for the calendar year of twenty five And you could be till his subject to this subject, because of course we will be subjected to data, where's it going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So in twenty twenty three and twenty twenty two, we argued rates need to go a lot higher, and I think some folks were calling for rate cuts in twenty twenty three and we said, no, they need to go higher, and the RBA only lifted its cash rate to four point three five percent, pretty much every other developed central bank New Zealand, Canada, the UK US went to five five and a half and in twenty twenty four there were a lot of calls for rate cuts rate hikes. The inflation data was pretty brisk in twenty twenty four and actually got revised up. If they'd had that information the revisions, they almost certainly would have hiked once more in twenty twenty four. But when they had that opportunity to hike, they didn't see that revised data. But they didn't cut in twenty twenty four, and that was that. Our view was they're going to hike in twenty two for again again, or they're not going to cut. And a lot of people the market, for example, the financial market and Mark was pricing in quite big rate cuts from the RBA last year, and we said that's that's all shit. That's not going to happen. You need the beginning of the year. Yeah, you're exactly right, like at the start of the year. And we look at the FED. The start of the year, the market was pricing in one hundred and seventy five bases points of rate cuts from the FED, and we said, that's beast, it's not going to happen. They're going to cut that fraction of that, And the market was pricing the FED starting to cut in March, and then they had the RBA a bit later than that, and of course the RBA didn't cut at all, which was the right decision, and the FED only started cutting in September and they only cut by one hundred and now they're completely on the sidelines. But in December this year we started publishing in my run, a weekly column for the Financial Review. I started saying the AFR that I thought they cut in February.
Speaker 1: Why what changed your mind?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so not the data per se. But in December the RBA completely changed the tune and they surprise everyone, they shifted something called a easing bias for no reason. But we thought we figured out why they shifted, and that was because we knew in December. The inflation data the next month in January, and they met in February would be.
Speaker 1: Soft you're talking about the December quarter, Yeah.
Speaker 2: December quarter. Yeah, So we the December quarter data on five from me and I think it was very good memory. Yeah, so we knew it was going to print point five. Ye, Well, that was our forecast and we published that number in December, and for statistical reasons, there was good grounds to believe the final quarter of twenty twenty four was going to be a soft print.
Speaker 1: So just just explain Chris a little bit more about that. So just for our audience sake, because he's one of the fastest talkers I know, because he's one of the fastest things I know. But just to put into context, explain why point five for the December quarter and I was for the last three months of twenty twenty four, giving such an idea, Why is an important relative to where the Reserve Bank wanted to be once a bit between two and three? Why is that the case that quarter? Why is that quarter so important?
Speaker 2: Well that a point five outcome would imply that, you know, on a short term basis, the core inflation rate in Australia was actually hitting the bottom of the target bad.
Speaker 1: They ran two, yeah, exactly four times point five.
Speaker 2: Because they target officially the midpoint of two to three, so they target two and a half and point five is actually at the bottom of that range.
Speaker 1: Is that correct it? But historically though, they've been only interested on the historical inflation number, which is the point the quarter for the sorry, the point five for that quarter, but every other quarter before that would have given you a three point two correct? Why do they change? Why do you think they changed there?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, so this is the little puzzle. Yeah, okay, so.
Speaker 1: This is the puzzle. I ain't get so very easy to.
Speaker 2: Understand what happened. So Michelle Bullock a few weeks before the December board meeting had said we need at least two quarters of softing fflation data or positive inflation data to be comfortable that we can lower rates. And then in December we all wake up, and she turns around and says in her statement after the board meeting that basically they've adopted an easy bias and they're laying the groundwork we felt to cut in February, and there was only one new data print available between December and the February meeting, which was the generary release, which was the fourth quarter data, So she kind of had busted her own decision making rule that she'd announced only a few weeks prior. So you take the fact that you've got this inconsistency and their messaging why are they so keen to set up the grounds for potential easing in February, and the fact that they knew and we knew that we were forecasting a point five trim mean print and at printed took point five for the fourth quarter, which was implying that it was annualizing around two. But crucially, the trajetory of the data was heading even though the twelve month rate might have been above three, the trajedory of that data was heading towards target. And remember, they think that the normal or neutral interest rate in Australias around three and a half. There have been some recent reassessments of that where it might be closer to three. But if they're at four point three five and they're you know, they think that through the cycle interest rate that is neither stimulitary for the economy or contracting is around three and a half, you can mount the case if you're them, and you want to cut, and near a bit dubbish and maybe you're a bit politically compromised that it would be pretty nice to kind of punch out an interest rate cut in February, knowing that an election would be held after then, and that cutting in the middle of an election in April would be difficult. Right just now, which is now, that's a situation we sit in. So we did not think they should cut. So I was very clear. I wrote this repeatedly in the Financial Review, and I think everyone understands is we said, we don't think there's any case to cut, but we think but we think they will cut in February, So we forecast the February cut. Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent. We're very very clear. I wrote it repeatedly. We don't think they should cut, but we think they will cut. And people were a bit confused because we've been very hawkish in twenty twenty four seving no cuts and no case for cutting. But I knew people would get confused, so we made it very very explicit that we thought they would cut in February, but we didn't agree with the logic, right because by her own logic, she needed two quarters of data and suddenly she's very comfortable with one quarter of data. And the key point is the point five percent trim MI in print was statistically biased. So all the smart forecasters knew that it was going to print off for some statistical reasons, right, so it wasn't necessarily a high quality signal. And then they cut in February. So then this all bigs a question. The puzzle was, well, why did they cut? You know, if you know what we know, which was maybe it was statistically biased. The cost of living subsidies that Jim Chalmers has given the community, and that the state governments have also replicated, they are sandbagging the inflation data. They're artificially suppressing the inflation data. They're doing that deliberately to try and get the RBA to cut, and lo and behold they've cut. But obviously when they're cost living subsces expired, the data pops back up. And you know, my simple kind of calculus is Charmer's appointed Bill Michelle Bullock. So he single handedly selected her, and it was a controversial appointment in the sense that he was expected to appoint someone outside of the bank and he went for the inside. So he hand selected Michelle Book, he hands selected her deputy Houser, and he's appointed a lot of the board members. And now there's this new committee that will set interest rates that he's also selected.
Speaker 1: So do you think it was politically Do you think there was? I don't think. I'm not asking you. Did he bring over? So listen, I want to rate reduction, but I.
Speaker 2: Have to we now know actually the Financial Reviews published a lot of information on this. He's jawbone the heck out of the RBA, like he's absolutely put them under enormous pressure. And you've got to remember he's his idol is Paul Keating. He wrote his phdwn Paul Keating, and Paul Keating was famous for jaw boning and haranguing the RBA. And so I just think he's pulling straight from the por Keating playbook. I actually don't have a huge issue with it at all.
Speaker 1: Like you know, Castella is to do it against the banks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's you know, people say that the RB he's politically independent, the politicians shouldn't give them heat. I agree that the politicians shouldn't create too much heat for them. But if he wants to have a go and say, hey, here are the reasons I think you should cut I personally think he's entitled to make that case. So if Jim Chalmers is listening, I would just say, dude, I've got no problem with you harassing her. But he did, Like, that's very clear that I was published a lot of stuff showing that. Like you know, mind standing is he put a lot of pressure on the board, and he has an appointee to the board, his Treasury secretary as well. So Steve Kennedy sits on the board.
Speaker 1: But that board won't do But that board didn't meet at that meeting though the new board didn't meet. It meet the meeting of this meeting at the April meeting. But they didn't. They didn't meet in February meeting.
Speaker 2: No, no, But Steve Kennedy sits on the board. Yeah, who works for Charmers. Yeah, Charmers has pressured the RBA much more directly than any recent treasures in the nineties. Yeah. But by the way, again, i'd say I have no problem with that.
Speaker 1: I think it's appropriate.
Speaker 2: My mate John here the fr he appropriately says that that's inappropriate. I think I can perfectly understand how people think that's inappropriate, But I say fair play to Jim Chalmers, Like if I was in his shoes, I'd probably be putting pressure on the RBA. I've got no problem he can make the intellectual case like it's a you know, we have free speech. Sure we recognize their politically independent, but there's no problem with politicians prosecuting their intellectual agenda. Like you know, I think he should be doing everything possible if he honestly believes, and he probably does believe that rates should be lower. And our mate Stephen Cook Coulis has argued forever and to day rates should be lower. He obviously is very sympathetic to the labor cause.
Speaker 1: Although he and I disagreed on that February meeting because I said, based on what they've done historically, we should not get we will not get a rate reduction in February. I think we'll get later on in the year. But I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Well he knows. I was consistently like we published relentlessly from to He.
Speaker 1: And I discussed it, and I discussed what you're going to publish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we called the February cuver very very clearly. But it come back to I think the interesting thing around the political nexus is what we know as charmers has put a lot of pressure on directly on Bullock and on the board. But I think that's fine, Like they can make their case, but the RBA needs to be big and strong enough, like we're all grown men and women.
Speaker 1: So we're disappointed in the way she come out in a press conference after because she then sort of looked like she was resolving in a bacular position.
Speaker 2: It's ridiculous. What I'm disappointed in the I was the RBA. So the RBA made there was no intellectual or evidentiary basis based on their decision making front of it that they set up that we need two quarters of data a couple of weeks before the December meeting, and then suddenly something happened in December where they were laying the foundations for a political cut. It was a political cut because they knew they were going to get that soft print and that was the perfect excuse to cut. And as soon as they went to that easy bias, the market had it like seventy percent priced, and they know that if the market's got a priced then it's very hard for them not to cut because they can then say well, the whole world thinks we should. Yeah. No, but that's that was deliberate because what the RBA says, well, market expectations. You know, every bond trader in the planet thinks we should cut rates. It's obviously the right thing to do. And so they cut rates. And you know, by the time they came to the meeting, I think it was like eighty percent priced, and they could have eviscerated the pricing. Takes thirty seconds for Bullet to stand up in jarring and say, oh, we did she has no problem and numerous occasions, and she did this after the February meeting saying she thought that market pricing was junk. So she could have set up that conversation prior in January. At any point in time, they could have said, and this is another reason why I was very confident they were cutting cutting. They did nothing to dispel market pricing, and they often do.
Speaker 1: They did no preconditioning.
Speaker 2: No, well, but they just have to give a speech and say, well, respectfully, we completely disagree with market pricing, and they do that all the time. They didn't engage in any of that rhetoric.
Speaker 1: So that's Latin.
Speaker 2: Then, yeah, it was Lad amaze. That's why we were kind of like, that's why I was saying, is laid Almazir. But interestingly, and this is where it gets all the more absurd. After they cut, that's what I'm saying. They never cut more than just once. That's just you know, an only ones. Yeah, so they only never cut only once. I think I said more than once. Yeah, so they never only cut once. And after they cut, the most ridiculous narrative was, oh, it's kind of more or less one and done. And that market pricing, which was for a very I thought reasonable and cookiin I would I think be at one with this market was only pricing two and a half more cuts throughout the whole year of twenty twenty five. And she said, you know, market pricing was unrealistic, and she and her proxies at the RBA had went out on this campaign to completely dismiss market pricing. I just think it's madness. So if you're going to cut once, presuming with a case like you want to move the cash rate meaningfully and materially, and twenty five basis points does not mean it's no material and does nothing to the inflation data. According to their own modeling less.
Speaker 1: Nothing to promote anything.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's not so where it's a little complex and nuances is. One cut statistically does nothing right. However, I argued prior to the cut, the one cut is meaningful. I thought they cut more than once, and I think they will cut more than once. I think they'll cut in May. This possibly they cut today. I think it's less than likely that they We're in the middle of a campaign, so they're not going to cut today.
Speaker 1: But none I've done.
Speaker 2: I think there's a good chance they cut in May.
Speaker 1: And can we just look at that just before you go in terms of the rest of you, can we just look at May? What would what do you want to see in the April probably comes out twenty seven to twenty eighth word the April numbers for the March quarter. What are you looking for? What do you think they're going to be looking for more importantly to put to justify a cut in May.
Speaker 2: So the kind of question is does cor inflation print at point six or point seven? I think it could print either. I think the risk is to a lower print, and I think they could cut on either. And I think there's a good chance they cut. I don't think it's sixty seven percent probability they cut. I think market pricing is actually there or thereabouts. I think it's yeah, And I think there's really interesting dynamics to play with the AUSY inflation data. But just before we come back to that, I just want to square away this point on the single cut. The single cut is meaningful in this respect. And I wrote this repeatedly. I don't think I wrote it twice in the Financial Review in January. It radically changes the atmospherics, the zeitgeist. And what's amazing and I expected this to happen, is if you look at the house priss data, dude, if you look at if you go to core Logic's website and you go to house price indices, if you go to the back what is called the back series, and there's a chart, it's a dynamic chart, and you can de select all cities, all select cities, and if you deselect every city about Sydney and you look at the chart, what you'll see is house prices fell by about two percent soft but like house prices rose in Sydney about eighteen percent from January twenty three to September twenty four, massive boom right, But from September twenty four through to the RBA meeting in February they fell two percent, but more or less the week they met, they started rising again and they look like a straight line. They're rising quite quickly. Now house prices are increasing again and exactly the same thing has happened with even greater force in Melbourne. So house prices in Melbourne only rose five to six percent, very different situation between jan twenty three and about March twenty four, but they started falling earlier. I mean, Victoria is a bit of a failed state like Basket Kay's lots of problems, and so the housing market's been much weaker, and so house prices in Melbourne I think, Yeah, they started falling in March, and they fell all the way through to the RBM meeting in February, but almost perfectly synchronously with the RAM meeting. If you look at that chart, it looks like they're rising there, risen one percent already just since February. So the housing market has reacted instantaneously. And that's why one cuts meaningful because it changes the narrative rather than people debating about hikes or rates remaining high for long. Suddenly we're talking about cuts and how many cuts is it? Two? Is three? So your question is how many this year? I think they'll try and chisel out two or three over the course of the year. What I can be looking for, and I think the risk is they do more. Yeah, And I think the game changer for my view is the election of Donald Trump. So I had no strong view on who would win the US election. We didn't that's not our wheelhouse. We don't do political forecasting, so we just trade, you know, the data as it materializes. But once Trump was elected, we had very strong views. Those views are first in and this was a very contrary view. We told everyone who would listen. I've written a million times in the AFAR he's dead freaking serious on tariffs. He's not negotiating, there's no art of the deal. Bullshit Trump and it's quite complicated. And I'll come back to why he's dead serious on the tariffs in a second. But there's big implications for Australia, mate, because what's going to happen is you're going to have these huge walls erected around the US economy, and the Chinese ain't going to be able to sell jackshit into the US economy. They're going to block China from the US economy completely. So what are the Chinese? Our biggest supply of goods into Australia is China. And if China can't sel byd cars into the US, where do you think they're going to dump the cars and all the other goods Little Old Australia and the EU and other markets. But we're going to get a ton of cheap Chinese goods dumped into Australia. Are we going to do anything about it? You know, if they are in turn eviscerating our manufacturing. Not that we produce cars anymore, but you know, if that's impacting our ability to compete against the Chinese, is Olbow done going to do anything about it? No chance. We've got no spine on this stuff, right, So we're going to have actually a lot of I think deflationary forces, cheap goods, cheap goods the result from the trade war. So it's counterintuitive because you think trade war price is going up inflationy, it's very inflationing for the US. But if you look at the pedinis and the Institute modeling, and we've I've written on this six to twelve months ago. She's not. After the November election, I wrote on this the Pizza Institute modeling. When we tear apart the data as we've done, shows you get deflation. In Australia, price is actually four because the cheap goods get dumped on us. So what does that mean for the RBA. Well, you've got too thinks. China's can you say fucked?
Speaker 1: Is there real life?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Cool, it's my podcast.
Speaker 2: Just okay cool. China's funks. Their economy is just like we've I've said, Chinese is uninvestable for over a decade, you know that, probably about fifteen years I've been arguing that. And they're going to get so screwed by this right. They're going to be blocked from the entire from most Western liberal democratic markets. They're going to be blocked from and but particularly from the biggest market, which is the US. And so that's not good, frustrating. So you don't have the Chinese economy, which is already struggling, that's going to be amplified and really exacerbated by Trump. He's going for the fucking jugular right. Trump is a killer and literally and figuratively because he doesn't mind running those special Forces operations taking out guys in yearmen or Solomoni, the Republican general, the Iranian who was sitting He was leaving at Bagdaddy Airport and Trump flew two hell fire missiles into his convoy of cars and assass at him. He likes his little assassination programs, Old Trumpy. I'm not saying I agree on Disagram. I'm just saying he likes that stuff. You know, he's he likes it. You know he was sick. He gave an interview the other day and he goes, you don't understand I am a bad motherfucker. He didn't use the word motherfucker. He's like, I'm a bad Man's funny. Another story about Trump. Apparently he was sitting with the Taliban leadership in person before they evacuated Afghanistan, and he looks the head of Taliban in the eye and he says, we're gonna leave Afghanistan. But if there's one hair on one head of one American soldier that's in any way adversely impacted. And he pulls out a photograph. He said, this is your home, this is where your wife and children live. We're taking them all out and apparently they didn't did this squad, So that's a segue.
Speaker 1: But and some people like that, yeah that's shop strength.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah they do. Yeah, they definitely do.
Speaker 1: An American So you're you're saying that Trump's Trump's norm negotiable on the on the tariffs, the Towers is going to build a war around America and make everything much more expensive in America.
Speaker 2: But for Australia. So you come out to Australia, so the Chinese economy is going to really get pounded, and that's bad news for Australia.
Speaker 1: Now why is the bad news of everything arrives you're cheaper.
Speaker 2: Well, that's positive. But you know, if we're she's a number one trade partner, we have to export. If we're exporting commodities to China, then that's not very good.
Speaker 1: For our Seventy percent of our stuff goes to China, so resources I'm talking about. So what you're saying is that of China's struggling, we will our export will start to suffer.
Speaker 2: Correct, Now, she may try and stimulate so present she may try and compensate for this, which paradoxally could increase demand for commodities. But you know, the way the RBA, I think we'll look at this is this is not positive for Australia like China, you know, having a quasi recession of sorts is can't be positive for Australia. And then the other thing is you're going to get a deflationary impulse, so the prices of goods will be lower than they otherwise would be. And I think it's already starting to happen. And so what that means is for the IMBA, they could cut in May quite comfortably. The inflation data could start surprising on the downside, particularly if they extend these costs of living subsces, which they seem to be doing. And yeah, you could get a decent number of RBO rate cuts, but two to three I think as a minimum makes sense for this year in total.
Speaker 1: So a lot of people talk about, you know, the cash rate, which you mentioned a bit earlier, but like sort of cash rate which sort of settles down around three and a half percent, you know, and let's say inflation is like two and a half percent. In the old that used to be a concept of net zero or something close to zero. But the difference between the inflation rate and the cash rate, and then unemployment is sort of around let's say four. Yeah, can you see a period like this is a bit weird to me, Like it said, a bit weird to me, But then wage growth is the same about three point two four point two around that territory. It seems to me that we've sort of got a restructure of where all our numbers are sitting. They're all sitting, They're all going to sit somewhere between three and a half and four and a half unemployment, wage growth, inflation, cash rate, blah blah blah. I mean a cashree might get to do it up, but it's going to bounce around a little bit. I've never really seen that before in the past. Do you think we've as a result of COVID, we will we have a restructured statistical environment or is this just a reaction to what happened during COVID and we will go back to our old system, our our old structure that we used to have in the past. So twenty or thirty years of inflation on average between two and three since since ninety six, I think it was someone around that territory we had like nearly twenty five years of inflation around that number.
Speaker 2: I definitely feel like we're in a more inflationary environment globally, and I think that will actually ultimately reassert itself in Australia. So the tariff impact on inflation is temporary, and so therefore the deflationing impulse that we've been talking about in response to the tariffs could also be temporary. But I think it's you know, the prevailing kind of atmospherics for twenty twenty five are going to be potentially quite friendly for the RBA in the context of giving it the capacity to cut rates. But I think what's changed since the pandemic is the size of government. Government spending as a share of the economy is the biggest since World War Two, basically instrope. And you know, if you look at jobs, fifty seven percent of jobs growth in Australia over the last few years has been accounted for by public sector. Yeah, well not just the public secttion. Just three sectors within the public sector, health, education and public administration alone have powered almost sixty percent of all jobs growth and there's no change in that dynamic. So what's fascinating, I think for around the world to not just you, I mean globally yeah, globally, but what and that's a key point. The difference in the US is they've had some cathartic crises. They had arguably a tougher pandemic. They definitely had a much tougher two thousand and eight crisis like that, a huge in cristal unemployment, unemployment barely budge. We didn't even have a recession in Australia. They had a much, much tougher two thousand and one recession. In the US we haven't had a proper recession since twenty one. But the key point is Australians, I think, are really in the throes of Dutch disease or what it is known as moral hazard, which basically means we've been this wonder down Under that's been incredibly fortunate for a crazy amount of time. And that good fortune has been driven by probably three key things. Huge endowments of natural resources that have made us very rich because we can sell them to the rest of the world for high prices. And then at the same time we've been lucky that there's been a commodity price boom. Secondly, we've run the strongest population growth in the developed world for about thirty years, and we continue to run crazy strong population growth, and population growth just brings demand in their country initially because these guys come with money often and that's a net demand shock. In the medium term, the population growth actually expands a pool of available workers, and I think this is what's happening with the wage In contrast to say the US, where they're deporting people and the borders are closing. In Australia, we've got people rushing into the country and that's actually relieving some of the pressure on labor costs. And we needed that because in the pandemic, we'd close our borders and you know, the unemployment rate was incredibly low, the lowest in half a century or thereabouts. And labour costs have obviously accelerated. But resources population growth have been the two key drivers of austral and prosperity for a long time. But then finally our physical amenity. I mean, Australia is the most beautiful country in the world and the physical meney is incredible. And then with super now taking twalks in our ways is super portus huge amount money into infrastructure, as did governments, and the quality of oz the infrastructure is like I think coming up to you know, it looks second to none. If you look at just the Sydney the tunnels, the metro railway, the light railway, the way we've equipped our cities, and the quality of US cities. You go to America, anyone travels to America, you look at the poverty, the crime, the just the dilapidated nature of the infrastructure.
Speaker 1: San Francisco is a basketcase.
Speaker 2: Basketcase and this is the point mark in the US you've had crisis. So if you look at California, it's a failed state, LA and San Francisco increasingly uninhabitable, which would be.
Speaker 1: Weird because it's seven large economy in the world as a state, and a.
Speaker 2: Huge fiscal crisis like massive budget deficits. Then juxtaposed against that, you've got the counterfaction, which is Texas and Florida budget surpluses, thriving, low taxes, low taxes, businesses are moving, their population growth is strong, low crime. And so I think that that contrast between New York, California, the Democrat States, and the Republican States has galvanized this this kind of intellectual crisis whereby the Trump Musk paradigm is on the ascendency, and they amazingly, Musk is probably the only guy in human history he could do what he's doing right now because he just doesn't give a fuck. It doesn't give a fuck, and he's the richest going in the history.
Speaker 1: It doesn't give a fuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so was worth over four hundred billion US, but he does give a fucking this sense he wants. His singular mission is to get to Mars. He wants to create an interplanetary species, and he thinks government is the key obstacle to getting to Mars. So I think what Musks inside has been is government, NASA, everyone, regulation is just blocking our progress in our capacity to get the human species sort of civilizing Mars. And so therefore, what do I need to do. Well, I need to get a sympathetic leader, somebody that I'm backing. So he must more or less help Trump win the election. And now that he looks like he's living in the White House, he's permanently appended to Trump's hip, and Musk has the solutions to almost all of Trump's policy problems. Trump wants to cut taxes, but that costs eight point one trillion US over ten years. Now, unless you find revenue to pay for the tax cuts. Issuing a point one one trillion debt would create a huge debt crisis in the sense of just much higher instructs. They can pay the interest, but you get a massive increase in US interest rates, and that would be potentially catastrophic. So he needs the tariffs to pay for the tax cuts. This is what people didn't understand. He wasn't bluffing on the tariffs. He's dead serious in the Taiks because the tarts he announced a date raised about two trillion of revenue.
Speaker 1: Which allows him to give tax cuts to the wages.
Speaker 2: So two trillions of revenue means he's only if the tax cuts cost that's over ten years. And if the tax cuts only cost eight point one trillion over ten years, he only needs to now find six trillion's cut costs. Yeah, but the tariffs are important for another reason. Basically, I think the US judges that over the last thirty years, the Western world took the view of there was a lot of vaninglorious, hubrious post World War two, which was democracy's defeated socialism, and we have the dominant political and business model, and everyone in the world is going to bind to that. Model, and they're going to embrace it, and they're just going to become accolytes of our belief system. So the idea was, we'll trade, We'll do free trade with everybody, well, reduce tariffs, we'll get rid of protectionism. And the Russians and the Chinese, when they look at the prosperity in Europe, the UK, US, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, there's no way in the world they can't embrace that prosperity. So they're going to trade with us, they're going to reduce trade barriers, and they're going to ultimately migrate their political systems away from authoritarianism to democracies. Well, the Russians and Chinese, basically, I think thought we were pretty gullible, and so they just used those free trade opportunities to appropriate intellectual property, to use state subsidized firms to build market share, control markets, build national champions companies like Hai, Huawei, Byd, etc. And basically Western manufacturing shifted to China. The supply chain shifted to China. Remember we talk about outsourcing. Outsourcing was great for Western companies because you could build it in low cost China and bring it back to the US and everyone benefit of the Chinese benefit and US consumers benefit through lower costs. But at some point the penny dropped that the Chinese weren't going to sign up to the Western liberal democratic business model softly, and they weren't actually playing by the rules they had agreed to play, because you know, the Chinese government was giving their firms all these unfair competitive advantages. And Musk is the best example. He builds a factory or factories in China, assuming he's going to sell zillions of Tesla's to the Chinese, the biggest consumer market numerically in the world, and the Chinese are still the IP and create a bigger, bad, stronger EV company called BYD that starts decimating Tesla's market share. So Mask's Navy created this monster in the form of BYD. So the Americans basically realized, actually, we need to reshare or domesticate all of our manufacturing. We need to bring back all the supply chains because now there's also security dependencies on the Chinese. I mean, the Chinese are making things that we use in our military kit and we actually now recognize we have man man up in a serious connectic conflict with the Chinese. So Trump's plan with the taros is probably if you don't believe in free trade, it's the right plan. And the other reason it's the right plan, and nobody understands this is the US economy is an autarchy, and what that means is doesn't really trade with the rest of the world aside from the Chinese and their proxies like Mexico. So the US we have a statistic called trade intensity, which is exports plus imports divided by your economy or GDP, and US trade intensity is only about twenty five percent. The average advanced economy is sixty to seventy percent, the EU is one hundred to one hundred and ten percent. And so the US doesn't really need to trade with the rest of the world if they bring their manufacturing back, which is what they want to do, and Musk has proven with SpaceX and Tesla, you can manufacture in the US, particularly now that everything's robotic. Labor costs are not such a big deal anymore because it's all automated. So that's the plan. It's the right plan because the US is the heart and harb of all the research, innovation and genuine sort of entrepreneurship and commercial and business inside and so it makes sense that if you can't trust the Chinese, you got to bring your manufacturing back that'll net benefit the US. And then basically so they bring up all these tariffs and they say the rest of the world, if you produce a good in a country outside of the US, you won't be able to import it into the US, will make you cost ineffective or cost will put you in a competitive disadvantage. So I think companies have now signed up to two trillion dollars of manufacturing spending in the US.
Speaker 1: Now wads move their business to the US.
Speaker 2: They're going to bring all those businesses back to the US.
Speaker 1: Blue Scope is a good example. They produced steel in the US US plant so they're not importing or exporting to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so everyone's going to do that because the tariff is going to Otherwise the tariffs will kill their businesses. Now so smart, I'm stand super smart. So they're going to trade with themselves, erect these huge trade barriers, rebuild all the manufacturing capacity. And then at the same time, novel the Chinese, which is geostrategically important because the Chinese were growing big and powerful because they were stealing Western market share and stealing Western clients and innovation and IP. Now the final piece of the puzzle is Musk. So at the same time, one of the big problems we have in society is just the growth of government. Again, there's been more jobs growth in Australia the last few years in the government sector than the private sector. And Musk realizes that there's this massive corruption inside these bureaucracies, and there's huge overreach which is crushing innovation. It's crushing entrepreneurship, it's crushing idea generation, and it's basically crushing productivity and prosperity. So Musk is the only guy in the world, probably in human history, got the ability to go in there and he did it with x or Twitter. He cut apercent of their workforce instantaneously, and he built a better product. So because he's the richest man in the world, he rocks up and he says, I want to get to Mars, but I've got to remove the public obstacles. At the same time, I mate Trump has promised a point one trillion tax cuts. Well, if I just reduce government spending, this is Musk's model. If I reduce government spending by fifteen percent, which is not that much. You and I have run business. We run businesses. You know, if we have to cut costs by fifteen percent, done, done, easy, right, if we need to. Now, in the US you've had untraveled untraveled, you know, historic unprecedented government growth for decades, right, but particularly since the pandemic. So you cut it by fifteen percent, you raise a trillion a year of savings. Now, the US budget deficit is less than two trillion, so you have the budget deficit. So over ten years, you're basically generating ten trillion of savings. So Musk's cost cutting program alone pays for all the tax cuts and something right. And the truth is, like I reckon, they could cut government spending by thirty percent, like if they really went hard. So fifteen percent is probably just the beginning. Now, the problem for the global economy, the problem for interest rates, and the problem for Australians is this, and you fear superbalances. They've got to do the government spending cuts fast and hard, because they've got to do them before the midterm elections in November twenty six, because otherwise at that point they could lose control.
Speaker 1: Unless you get an extended period, but yeah, they're working on that now.
Speaker 2: So they want to the third term. No, this is the midterm election, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sorry. They've got a short period to get all this done.
Speaker 2: As your point out, Yeah, exactly, So they want to get it done hard and fast. So the government spinning cuts, they've already done one hundred and thirty five billion, and so there's obviously a lot more coming. So that comes hard and fast. The trillions of dollars a new manufacturing investment, which will credit a huge growth engine that's going to come later. So you've got this asynchronicity in the timing of you get to demand a negative demand shock, So they're destroying public spending on the one hand immediately, but on the other hand, the growth engine comes later. And so what that means you probably get a bit of a recession in the US in the next couple of quarters, or at least a growth air pocket, and that at the same time probably emboldens the FED to start thinking about cutting rates. You will get this temporary inflation shock, but it is temporary. Yes, consumer inflation expectation is relevated, but I think the FED will probably continue cutting rates particularly when they see the negative growth data from the DOGE initiative run by Musk. And then the other thing is the trade wards creating mayhem in markets. So US equities have drop ten percent, NOWSAX dropped thirteen percent. People are very risk averse, very nervous. So you might say, well, what about his tax cuts. Well, chances are people are going to save a lot of those tax cuts and they won't spend them. So I think in the short term this is very bad for markets because markets can't see pass their nose. Market's going to focus on the growth shock, the fact that companies that service governments are not going to be earning nearly as much money. All those consulting firms, all those building contractors, I mean, all the service providers to the US government are going to get but bashed by my Musk. And that's short term very negative. But in the long term it's super positive because you're going to get this massively revitalized US manufacturing industry and trillions of dollars a new investment in productive equipment that's going to create a lot of autonomy for the US. US won't be relying on anyone by the end of this problem.
Speaker 1: So given that, what would you say to Jim Charmers, who may well end up getting re elected along with his party and what inform of government? Is one question? Would Chris Joey asked Jim Chalmers that you would like to hear Jim's Chalmers address public? He because Jim is going to be here next week and I'm going to ask.
Speaker 2: Him, well, I mean the hard question. The question, of course hard questions for Charmers is does he actually care about reform or is he really just interested in power? He wrote a PhD, but not on economics. He wrote a PhD on Paul Keating's politics, his power politics. So the first question is does he really care about reform? And I think if you judge them on their actions, they've massively increased government spending. The budgets lurts from surplus to deficit. We have a problem in Australia with government spending is now the high since World War Two, and interest rates paradoxically would be a hell of a lot lower in Australia. We're not for all of this government spending correct And the problem here's the really kind of far reaching.
Speaker 1: You should you should just because effectively the massive government expenders propped up the propped up the economy, which makes you look a lot better than it really is.
Speaker 2: If the public sector wasn't accounting for most of the jobs growth, then unemployment would be much higher, wage growth would be much weaker, inflation would be low. But the demand I mean obviously economic growth has for the in recent years been mostly accounted, if not one hundred percent, driven by public spending. So the problem for Australians is we have no productivity and Charmas has no solutions as to how he's going to grow productivity and what is productivity because productivity sounds like economist jargon. Productivity is just entrepreneurship, innovation, idea generation. Productivity is just doing business smarter.
Speaker 1: Encourage you people to take risks.
Speaker 2: It's basically producing more with fewer resources. That's what productivity is and one hundred percent encouraging people to take risks to establish a disruptive business that's going to produce more or the same amount that other people's less for less. So therefore you can produce more cheaply, and therefore you you can undercut your competitors and appropriate market share. So the problem that Charmers has is he has no solution to the fact that we have the worst productivity in decades and Australia is mired in a massive productivity problem and in the long run that's disastrous. It's kind of like Dan Andrews. Dan Andrews, and Victoria spends crazy amounts of money. In twenty nineteen, just before the pandemic, the Victorians only owed the West of the world fifty to sixty billion. Today or within a few years they were close to three hundred billion. Well back in twenty twenty, when Victorians borrowed money as a government, they paid an interest rate that was very similar to what the cokmalp pays today. They now pay one hundred basis points in extra interest. Because no one wants to buy Victorian government bonds and they're likely to be downgraded. Queensland is likely to be a dangrade in our view. New said, Wales is likely to be dangraded. And because we haven't had a cathetic crisis, because we don't have yet a California, although Victoria is heading that way, or a San Francisco, there's no counterfactuals. And because there's so much public spending, the government of the day is actually conflicting economically the voters by sharing them with all this cash. But they're making Australians very complacent, very very lazy. And this is the Dutch disease that we're talking about earlier. The fact that we've got really dumb growth in the form of huge commodity exports coupled with really very primitive population growth. None of that is productivity, and productivity is the only thing that can grow wealth. And again I don't even like the word productivity in entrepreneurship and innovation is what drives prosperity, and we don't have that in Australia. Tax rates are going up, not down, arguably at the margin, particularly once you're adjust for indexation or bracket creep, and I think what you'll see over the next few decades is that Australian businesses will leave Australia because we're going to become so uncompetitive to the rest of the world. You'd be much better setting up in Singapore to buy Abu Dhabi, Italy, Portugal, all these ascendant countries are doing tax deals to attract the best and brightest businesses and brains and people are moving like you know, Nico Okaine, I think his name is. He was the top guy at mcquarybank. They paid him over fifty million a year. He resigned to take a job in Dubai. Why because presumably he can get much better economic and send him in Dubai. So the top McQuary banker doesn't want to live in Australia, notwiderstanding. He's a presumably a very proud Astraian who loves, like we all do, the amenity of living in Australia.
Speaker 1: And I know a lot of people doing exactly the same thing. And by the way, you can always buy astrain assets too, so it doesn't make much difference. Astrain assist with you to buy, but you're operating in a different vironm where he paid his tax is much more efficient loss, so that's regulated and you have access to many other parts of the world as a market economist. Just something I was struck me whilst I was talking whilst he's talking, was as you know, the regulator in Australia requires landers. In Australia, it doesn't require, but suggest to lenders Ausralia that a threshold of three percent over the prevailing over the lending rate when they're assessing a borrower to buy a house, and the suggestion is that, like, if you do what we say, then you will have to hold less capital. If you don't do what we say and your portfolio is you know, you're learning your threshold, the extra amount that you look at in terms of person's ability to service that loan is so you if you only apply two percent, then NUEB As a result of that, you know, we might ask you to hold a little bit more capital. I guess that because we think that loan might be more risky. Whether portfolio loans more risky. One of the things I don't really don't like, and I know I have a kindred thought process with you on this is to some extent that plays right into the hands of elitism in Australia because only the elite can afford and the elite's kids can afford, which, by the way, are our kids to borrow those amounts of money because we have to top them up. You know, we're always going to be topping them up, which you know you expect parents to do if they have a capacity to do it. But the problem is, in terms of affordability, pability is not just the price of property but the ability to pay for the property. You always borrow the money to buy the probuct because most people borrow anyway. So given the market interest rates at the moment, and they're more likely to come down and go up. What do you think about the the three percent threshold sitting on top of people's ability to borrow and or servicing our servicing assessment? I see the Dunton's command set is unfair. What do you think about that three percent?
Speaker 2: Listen? I think it's a good example of a situation where there are probably much better models that regulators, and our regulators have not covered themselves in glory recently, particularly APRO, which is responsible for this regulation. There's many more dynamic models that could apply that would result in better outcomes for everybody. So you know, three percent as an extra interest rate buffer the banks apply on your serviceability test when figuring out what you can afford to repay?
Speaker 1: How much and how much will lend you therefore?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how much will lend you therefore? And therefore what you know? Property you can you can buy purchase. That made a lot of sense when the cash rate was a zero percent, yeah, because obviously the cash rate could have easily increased by as it did. It did, and with benefit findsight it increased by four hundred and twenty five basis points. But when the cash rates of four hundred and twenty five basis points, or at the time it was four thirty five, it made no sense, right, or very little sense. So it should be dynamic, you know that serviceability Baffer. I think should be dynamic, and it should be calibrated according to whether the cash rate is at any point in time. So I definitely think at this point in time there's scope to lower it. Yeah, I mean, you know here and now you say prudently at least by one hundred basis points.
Speaker 1: Right. They used to do that, but I don't know why we haven't changed for so long. And the only other question I have for you, But.
Speaker 2: By the way, on that note, I mean, I think Jim Charmers and Dunnan should they control a prom and they can absolutely say, hey, we don't agree with the serviceability Buffy, you should change it.
Speaker 1: We're done. Has said that said, yeah, I start off.
Speaker 2: But opera, you know, sometimes THEA and apron ibe it's a little bit different because they are meant to be about the independent of the government oppera artists, but certainly acic and but app in particular of Lad's made some funny decisions, some odd decisions like facing out the hybrid market is one which has never been done before anyone in the world. And yeah, if I was a smart politician, I just say, dude, you know it makes no sense to whack three hundred based points on top of a four thirty five cash rate. You know, we're going to cut it to two hundred see see how things go, and potentially will cut it a little bit loud, you know, maybe down to one hundred and fifty because.
Speaker 1: If it all of a sudden increases a massive amount of borrowing and house prices, I'm changing it again. You can keep put it up to two and a half hegaus say you can calibrate. And the only other question I had for you is if you don't mind if I just grabbed you before before you because I know you're busy and I've got to know the podcast as well.
Speaker 2: But like, is.
Speaker 1: You talked about policy? You talk about you know, has Jim got serious policy? Does he really want to make reform and have changes make changes? What do you think about the concept of and a lot of people talking about it, and Matt Common has been talking about it. I mean a lot of people been talk about for a long time. I have to about having an adjustment in the GST from ten to say fifteens. But that's assume it. It never goes above or below. But you adjust the t in lockstep with the RBA making changes so that up or down so that everybody gets affected and or everybody gets the benefit of it. So you know, during a period when we're trying to you know, damp and spending, instead of just putting the RBA of the RBA putting up the cash rate, which puts up your mortgage rate. On top of that, whoever it is, puts up the GST rate five base points, two base points, twenty base points, what it is trying to make sure that they affect everybody, because you know, we have these conflicting markets. You know, we have all the people mortgages who are paying more. And then say someone like you know, your parents who might be so alive, don't have a mortgage. You know, I have money in the super fund. Blah blah blah. They're not they're not affected, and they're they're out spending like drunken sales and taking the trips to Ballin and Bali and spending money in.
Speaker 2: Restaurants makes a lot of sense. The RBA was doing it, Yeah.
Speaker 1: RBA should do it. Yeah, what do you think about that as a charmer potential charmers policy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thing's great. Ay, Like, if the RBA was doing it, it just gives them more tools, more levers, it would be more board based. It probably reduced the amount of which they had to increase interest rates create to give an impact. I do think that, like we would be better off with a higher GST and lower income taxes. We're better at having a fair flat, flatter tax regime where the guy that works harder than his contemporary chooses not to work hard doesn't end up paying He'll always pay more taxes, he's earning more income. But how's it fair that he actually pays a higher percentage of his income in the former tax than the guy that's choosing not to work hard. That's kind of perverse. So this this tax regime where we get taxed proportionally more the harder we work.
Speaker 1: And it was with progressive system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a massive disincentive for innovation. Entrepreneurship and productivity and prosperity. So coming back to Charmers, I think the problem in Australia have got a huge model, has it. I feel like there's a lot of complacency in the community. Young kids, you have incredible lives. You know, there's no unemployment, wages are very healthy, there's massive amounts of public support. NDIS is supporting one in ten kids. And I think the problem will be twenty or three years hence, and I think there's a little echo of this in Dan Andrews in Victoria. So Dan Andrews decides to spend more money than any Victorian has in the history of the state, and government's a solution to every problem. But now increasingly it's looking like a failed state. No one wants to live in Victoria and people are leaving. Businesses don't want to operate in Victoria. Bauxes taxes are high and rising everywhere because they're having to pay for the debt. You know, Victoria will shortly be paying about twelve bin a year or circle five three to five hospitals worth in interest payments align on their debts. So they've gone from again fifty to sixty billion a debt to close to three hundred million a debt. And yeah, none of these guys seem to have any solutions for the long term. They just seem to be optimizing for I want to win the next selection, I want to become prime minister. I want to be maximize my personal power. I think a lot of these there's a self selection bias in politics where you get a lot of narcissistic individuals who are not actually genuinely interested in policy reform. Even the smart guys. We don't need to mention him. But but I wasn't talking about my mate Malcolm Terrible just to the evouence a doubt. There's others on the left side of politics that probably fall into that coor. But it's funny. You know many more politicians than I do. But I know a lot of politicians, and finding the guys that are actually, you know, really earnestly committed to making the world a better place, it's hard, Jacko. You know, all these guys are the kids who are at UNI, who are doing student politics, yapping around trying to kind of self promote themselves to advance their personal power and control and influence. So I think politics is a funny, funny business, like I would never want to go into pot.
Speaker 1: I think it's yeah, I think it's wanting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the choice of candidates as well, Like you just think that there'd be more opportunities. It's not like the American system has necessarily generated, you know, super compelling candidates. And it seems like the compelling candidates in the US system are also for whatever reason, you know, they there's a lot of attrition, Like guys that want to you know, the people that seem to have a lot of ability, they seem to flame out for one reason or other. You get these highly bificied, bifurcated, polarized environments where you get a Biden versus a Trump. But I think Trump's I think the difference with Trump this time around. Mate. My final comment is, and you know, I'm not politically parties, and I don't think myself and I thought Trump Mark one was pretty mercurial and campricious and hyperbolic and everything that people criticize him for being. But this dude is is a year shot off and he's had multiple assassination attempts. He's coming up towards eighty, He's only got one term. There's no third term at this point. He's not kind of doing this to win another election. This is all a legacy trade and that's why I think he's going for the jugular. He's really serious, and that's why there's been no Trump put option for the market. If the market keeps on thinking he's going to acquiesce and he's going to bend the there and say, oh, it's all okay, I'm just trying to negotiate a good deal. But he I think, is really really focused on far reaching reform that's going to be his personal legacy. He wants to change the US. He does want to make the US great again, and so I think it could be a very turbulent, volatile time and it's certainly an extremely uncertain time. So yeah, policy uncertainty is heightened and that makes decision making hard. So I think for markets tough for the next six to twelve months. At some point that manufacturing miracle will assert itself and the markets will start focusing on that, and that's where I think you can see a recovery. But I think in summary, in twenty twenty five, rate cuts from the FED and the RBA, disinflation in Australia high inflation in the US. I do think we're in the medium term in a higher for longer environment, particularly when the manufacturing investment starts coming online. So I don't see massive rate cuts. I do think that people that are struggling under the weight of high interstrate burdens, businesses and households, the marginal borrows are probably going to continue to struggle. We've got record high insolvencies in Australia, but we also see the same thing in the UK, US and New Zealand, and I don't think that's really going to change fundamentally. I think we're still living in an inflationary world. But there's these cross currents now because of the trade Will.
Speaker 1: And where can people follow your updates?
Speaker 2: On Twitter? At cjoy on LinkedIn, we publish our macro strategies here and Davies publishes on Live one and then I published weekly in the.
Speaker 1: So Lovey dot com is a it's a free service because I subscribe to that Coulibar, you had a publication at Kolibar.
Speaker 2: We've got that website cool abocapital dot com. And then in the Financial Review that article that Columba write publishes on Friday and then appiece on the paper on Saturday's most weekends.
Speaker 1: Chris Joy, thanks for much made Thanks nice