Speaker 1: Or something similar to it. I asked her if she thought it sounded like a twenty two. She said, yes, we just yelled for everybody.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 3: You're watching outsiders. This is devastating news. Shots fired at Donald Trump at a Trump rally less than an hour ago. The former president appeared to have been clipped by a bullet. There was blood clearly visible around his ear, But after ducking down and being swamped by security guards, Donald Trump was clearly seen pumping his fist defiantly in the air, yelling out fight, fight, fight as he was rushed away. Donald Trump is alive after surviving what looks at this stage to be an assassination attempt. This is massive news and something many of us have feared for many years. We will bring you every development and reaction from the United States to this unfolding story. Just to recap, bullets fired at a Trump rally. Donald Trump appears to have been hit behind the ear, blood behind his ear, on his face. He is alive. Let's show you how our colleagues at Fox News captured the moment as it happened.
Speaker 4: Look at what happened.
Speaker 5: Let me let me get so.
Speaker 6: We're got.
Speaker 7: Me.
Speaker 8: I'll tell you.
Speaker 5: Horrific news.
Speaker 3: We've all feared this for many, many years, an assassination attempt on Donald Trump. They've tried everything else, They've tried to shoot him now, but he is safe. He appears to be alive. He is in hospital. The security guards rushed him away. James Morrow, What do you make this happened less than an hour ago, forty five minutes ago, James, an assassination attempt on Donald Trump?
Speaker 4: Well, rowand I am shocked, but I cannot say that I am surprised if you look at the temperature of the debate and the discussion around Donald Trump in the United States, the way that he has been made into an absolute hate figure for so many on the left. Now we don't know at this stage who was responsible for this. There are some unconfirmed reports that the Secret Service said the shooter was down. We don't know quite what that means.
Speaker 7: It.
Speaker 4: We don't know who was responsible for this, But the overall temperature in the United States around Donald Trump on the left is so high and so hot right now that I have been sadly expecting something like this to happen at some point.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 4: I have been to Trump rallies before in twenty twenty. There is security. I know that they have ramped up security for this campaign, but I will say this image here, that iconic image. I don't know if we can show the still images of Donald Trump, this image right here, holding his fist up, his blood coming out of his ear where he appears to have been clipped grazed by what we believe to be an assassin's bullet. These will be iconic images of this campaign. I think I don't know how the Democrats back from this, especially if we don't know who the shooter or the alleged shooter is at this stage. I do know we're already starting to see attempts by some of the media to talk this down, to turn this into a debate about gun control.
Speaker 5: CNN even said.
Speaker 4: CNN even said on their website that the Trump rally was interrupted after Donald Trump fell at the rally, which calls you how dishonest. An awful lot of people are going to be about what just happened. But make no mistake, Rowan, this was political violence. And if it is as it looks, this is the sort of thing there is no place for this in American politics or any democratic public political system.
Speaker 3: Well, they've been demonizing Donald Trump so ruthlessly and relentlessly. Let's go to analyse Nilssen in the States to chat to her about what exactly has happened there. Analyst, give us your thoughts the latest news on this assassination attempt on Donald Trump.
Speaker 9: Look, this was, I think, as James said, something that is always a risk for any president, but this has been a live risk for Donald Trump for some time, and so it's just how much is at stake for this election. So if you watch the footage back, it all happens in just a matter of moments, and you can see when Donald Trump goes to grab his ear, he's obviously felt the impact of the bullets before you start hearing those popping sounds in the recording. He drops down and then this is really going to define all of this, as the Secret Service leaps on him to take him off the stage.
Speaker 10: He fist pumps, fight, fight, fight.
Speaker 9: So I think there's a few reasons that's so iconic, just the extraordinary site of a former president, leading candidate for this election being let off stage, covered in blood, yelling out fighting. I think also as Americans starch process, this is going to think about the image of what if something like that happened to Biden.
Speaker 10: And it just goes back.
Speaker 9: Into that very relevant discussion across America about his age, whether he is up to go for another four years, because that debate put that on the front mind of people across the country. And so this is also coming at a time when Donald Trump is pulling ahead, when he has the Republican Party United behind him, And the other major factor for all this is the big weakness from his critics, is that he has all these legal cases against him, that he's a felon, and he's always framed this as saying, this is the elite's coming after me, this is my enemy's coming after me, and I'm the only thing between them and coming after you. So to have an actual attempt on his life at this point in the election.
Speaker 10: Campaign is going to completely redefine all of this. And thankfully he's okay.
Speaker 9: Thankfully, his team said he's been treated at a local medical facility and that the investigation started.
Speaker 10: That's from the Secret Service as well.
Speaker 9: But in a matter of days, he'll be here in Milwaukee, he'll have a stadium full of his supporters, and you can imagine it's already been locked down by the Secret Service. Everything's going to go up as many not just as you can imagine. But he's going to have the support of his entire party, and he's going to have bandages on his blood coming out from the last attempt.
Speaker 10: On his life.
Speaker 3: I suppose we'll have that, Analis, I suppose, well, Analis, I suppose we'll have those. Donald Trump band aids will be the next bit of merchandise out there. But this is serious news. Analyse. The demonizing of Donald Trump has been relentless by the Democrat Party, by the left wing media in America. It has been relentless court cases against him, ninety four chargers, endlessly calling him the most evil orange person and a threat to democracy? Is it any wonder analyse that someone some you know, we don't know who yet, and we don't know why, but we can imagine some nutjob has decided, Okay, I'm going to take out this great threat to democracy myself. How much blamed are the Democrats and the left wing media in America and around the world bear for this awful event that's happened just this afternoon American time here and Sunday morning in Australia.
Speaker 9: Well, I can already see one comment made by Joe Biden has started trending on Twitter or x where he said, it's enough time talking about my debate performance. We need to put the bullseye on on Donald Trump. So this is going to play all. He's a country that has a lot of guns, highest guns per capita of any first world country in the world, and this is always a risk. This is why they have such intense Secret Service, and our former prime ministers can go around like there's not much to it, but for the US they keep that up. The question is going to be, how on earth did this happen in one of these environments. I heard Jameson mentioning that before, but I've been to plenty of Trump rallies and they're.
Speaker 10: Always super tight.
Speaker 9: I've had hairspray cands confiscated because it's a security risk. You go into these things and they go through like airport style security. When we bring our camera equipment in, it has to go in eight hours early, so the Secret Service could do it's sweet and remove anything potentially threatening. How on earth anyone got that close to President Trump and that environment with what There's pretty much no option at this point that we can reasonably think that would be anything other than a gunshot at the president with his ear damaged like that, and the shots sound fired that we heard on the tape, So I think we can reasonably assume at this point, even if we haven't had the exact confirmation. But this just shows how vitriolic things have gotten at this point in time. Every previous assassination attempt on a US president has come at those really peak times of division, and it's always gotten worse afterwards.
Speaker 3: We've had Don Elys, We've had all the way back to Lincoln, We've had Kennedy, we've had Reagan, now Trump, what will be What has been the reaction from the supporters, apart from obviously horror and shock. Are they seeing this as as yet another sign that Trump is destined back for the White House, that he's survived this assassination attempt much as Reagan survived his.
Speaker 9: Well, you don't try to take someone out if you don't see them as a threat. So this is going to absolutely frame this election for Trump like that those images of him raising his fist in defiance with blood streaming on his face are going to be iconic for this century. That is just such an encapsulation of where we are now, what he's defied to get there, and how do the Democrats push back on that. All we've heard for the President so far is that he's been briefed on the incident, he's been at church today, his book. Apart from that, his entire weekend was cleared, because all he's been doing is trying to call his own supporters to shore up supporter as they abandon him quickly. And then who takes on this when we can assume that Joe Biden will have to step down at some point. With the way things are going, something has to change for it to turn around, and generally, age related memory doesn't turn for the better at any point, and so this really is just kind of limping towards its natural conclusion at this point. But what we do know is that Donald Trump is going to use this as a solidifying force, and he's already got the Republicans completely.
Speaker 10: United behind him.
Speaker 9: As I mentioned before, even at this convention, those few delegates that were pledged to Nikki Haley, she'd already released them because she said it was a moment for unity. And so every single of every single one of the almost three thousand delegates coming to here to Milwaukee.
Speaker 10: Water back in Donald Trump.
Speaker 9: After years have been told how much division there was in the party, how Republicans were so all over the place and couldn't.
Speaker 10: Figure out what their core was.
Speaker 9: Their core is Donald Trump now and he's ready to come take that mantle.
Speaker 10: And people are going to be scared. This is a scary thing to see in assassination attempts like this, and.
Speaker 9: So they'll lean more towards those extremes and their voting as well.
Speaker 8: Caroline filling in for reader Pane here here analyst Caroline Marcus on the disk.
Speaker 11: How do you see this playing out for his campaign?
Speaker 8: Do you think this will trans into even better polling for Donald Trump? As you say, that is such an iconic image already that we've seen with that fist pump in the air, do you think that will translate into even better polling?
Speaker 9: I think it well could, because, just as I said before, it's a scary thing to happen, and that's a very motivating thing for elections. One of the things that doesn't work well in non compulsory voting systems is people being apathetic about anything, and so when you have something so clearly unifying like this. It is going to encourage people to vote and encourage them for a change more secure. But also we have to keep an eyenail on where these protests go. We are expecting a big protest here at the RNC on Tuesday. There's a march on the RNC and we're told at least fifteen hundred people potentially more are going to come protests. Now there's a reason for all those right wing protesters.
Speaker 10: Who might have sat it out otherwise.
Speaker 9: And just been happy with seeing their guy on the stage to come out and give them a piece of their mind. And these things ken turned violence as we've seen before. I mean, James can tell you about the nineteen sixty eight convention in Chicago. But what we're going to see here is just this is going to completely solidify so many of truck supporters who were happy to kind of sit things out and watch it roll because the guy was coming back in. Now they've got something to be angry about.
Speaker 3: And Lise Nilson, thanks so much. We might cross back to you later on in the show. Thanks so much fulfilling us in there. So just to recap the latest news, if you just switched on, there has been an assassination attempt on Donald Trump at a rally Saturday afternoon in Pennsylvania. The president, the former president, Donald Trump, appears to be in good health. He was clipped behind the ear. There was blood clearly visible behind his ear and across his face as he first went down behind the podium and then reappeared surrounded by secret security officers who bundled him off took him away. He was defiant the entire time, pumping his fist in the air, screaming out fight, fight fights. A lot of reaction from the support is also yelling. Obviously a lot of high emotions. Donald Trump was bundled into a van, still pumping his fist in the air, still defiantly calling out fight, fight fights. There were two shots that sounded like that were fired. It did appear to clip his ear, blood everywhere. This is an assassination attempt, clearly, Jans.
Speaker 4: Absolutely it was. I mean, that's the only thing that we can think at this point. It's not something random. Somebody had to go and figure out how to, as Annaly said, get that weapon through very tight security and get that close to the former president.
Speaker 5: This is just shocking to me, and I just want.
Speaker 4: To talk a bit more about, you know, this real culture that has grown up around the hate around Donald Trump. You know, the other day John mcwater, who is a New York Times columnist on a podcast said he said sort of in jest, but said that he was wishing that somebody would shoot Donald Trump. This is what Joe Biden tweeted just a day and a half ago. He Saidmericans want a president, not a dictator. Now, when you've got the President of the United States essentially saying this person here is a dictator. The whole the whole narrative around Trump is this idea that he is a threat to the American Republic, American democracy, the American way of life. If those messages go into somebody who is and again we don't know who is responsible for this, we'll find out about this, but you know, the temperature around Donald Trump is so overheated, and this is just like you know, you remember after jfk was assassinated. Well I don't remember because I wasn't born then, but you know, after that that assassination of John F. Kennedy, the whole thing was blamed on.
Speaker 5: And culture of hate around John F. Kennedy.
Speaker 4: Now you can talk about what actually happened there. But the point is that these things, you know, words do matter and the way.
Speaker 3: But I also want to I want to just interrupt you that generals, because the Sky News in the UK are reporting that an individual was killed in this assassination attempt. We don't know who. We don't have any more details, but we will bring those to you. That one person apparently is dead, whether that was the shooter or or someone else, we don't know this Google too.
Speaker 4: We had heard before that the Secret Service had said shoot her down. And I can tell you that the Secret Service, I've been, I've traveled with presidents before when I lived in the United States, they have counter assault teams, they have snipers. They would have had somebody on that person and would have pulled the trigger on that person immediately.
Speaker 3: Well that's what we're hearing, so we'll give you those details. We're going now to Christian Witten, who's in the States regularly here on Outsiders. Christian, thanks for coming on you were you to come on anyway today, But my goodness, what a morning. I was appalled to hear from our correspondent, Analyst Nilsson, that Joe Biden had put out a message or a tweet the other day saying, stop talking about my bad performance at the debate. Let's put the bullseye on Donald Trump. Now, as James was just saying, this endless talk about him being a dictator, about him being the worst person on earth, threat to democracy. How much responsibility Christian do the Democrats and the left wing media in America bear for what clearly is an assassination attempt on Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Well, I'd say a lot.
Speaker 12: We'll have to wait and see exactly what was going on here and what the motives were, but it looks like it was some nutjob responding to the outrageous rhetoric that has been coming from the left. There are the items you just mentioned. There's The New Republic, which used to actually be a responsible, even handed magazine of the center left, classical liberal, just put a picture of Donald Trump as Adolf Hitler on its cover. And you know, let's use the liberal's own standard here.
Speaker 3: These people.
Speaker 12: When Sarah Palin, the former governor of Alaska, had a television and had they just had crosshairs moving over congressional districts. Later, she was blamed when Gabby Gifford's a congresswoman was shot, saying Palin was responsible.
Speaker 2: Because she did the crosshairs thing.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 12: One other point too, is you know, the person who's just commenting mentioned JFK. He was killed by someone who was a communist, sympathized the person who shot Robert Kennedy. Again, there was supposed to be this culture of right wing hankshids. Actually he was shot by and killed by someone who was a proto Islamist. And if you look at the Summer of Love, summer of twenty twenty, when American cities were torn apart, it was left wing violence.
Speaker 2: Yes, we do have right wing nutjobs too.
Speaker 12: There were the people in the khakis at Charlottesville with the tiki torches, and there were the rioters on January sixth. But you've seen this again and again, this trend of left wing political violence.
Speaker 3: Christian, what's the How astonished or surprised were you? I mean many of us here. I've been fearful for many years, but particularly the last few months, that the only way they would stop Donald Trump getting back into the oval lop was to shoot him. I haven't dard say that because you don't want to say it, but that's been my greatest fear. As an avid Trump supporter, it has been feared for a long time. What's the reaction amongst Republicans there in America at the moment.
Speaker 12: Everyone I've talked to has been completely astonished. You know, I was on of all places, a Russian TV show a couple of weeks ago, when was asked by the host, well, what if they try and shoot, just take out Donald Trump? And I thought, well, that's just sort of Russian style thinking. We don't really have that in America. If you look, the security around presidents and presidential candidates has been increased so dramatically since Reagan was shot in nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 2: It's almost become absurd.
Speaker 12: With presidents, their motorcids are so big and so long, and have something. They have tactical ambulances, they have twenty suburbans and every road is shut down. The presidential candidates and former presidents don't get that. And as your reporter earlier mentioned, everyone going in anywhere close as screens. So something did.
Speaker 2: Go wrong here. It's you know, early days. We don't know exactly what happened.
Speaker 12: The gunshots weren't so loud and so close that everyone on the bleachers hit the deck, so it will be interesting to see which weapon was used in how far away Trump's head was turned to the right it hit his right ear. It applies that someone who shot that the bullets were close behind may have almost passed behind him but did not and would have come from either the extreme left or extreme right of the stage. But a lot of people think the Secret Service is sort of one of the parts of government that hasn't been corrupted, that does a very good job, a very thorough job.
Speaker 2: Just getting into the White.
Speaker 12: House, even if you have official business or if you work there as a real pain. So this is even though the rhetoric is so high and it's tuned to political violence thanks to the left. This is a shock to to everyone I've spoken to this afternoon here And.
Speaker 4: What sorry, James, Yeah, I just want to got some breaking news here. Apparently the President is being briefed by the Director of the Secret Service, the Department of Homeland Security and the Chief of Staff and a number of other people. So, but I want to ask you again. A moment ago I spoke about this tweet here from Joe Biden where he said that America wants a president, not a dictator.
Speaker 5: Now, I mean you.
Speaker 4: Were seeing it there on our screen. This seems to me almost like incitement or if not incitement, at least kind of permission to people who are on the left, hard left, unhinged. And we've seen this, as you say, long, long, long tradition of political violence from the left. You know, whether it's the riots during the Summer of Love in twenty twenty, whether it's the assassination of John F.
Speaker 13: Kennedy.
Speaker 4: Do you think that the White House needs to really take a good hard look at how it has behaved and the way it has led the rhetoric and the demonizing not just of Donald Trump but of Donald Trump supporters. And how do you think the media is going to play this? Are they going to start to try and make this about gun control or something other than the parent attempted assassination of a presidential candidate.
Speaker 12: Right, Well, on your last question, we're already saying that exactly happened. All of the corporate media here, all of the left wing media. CNN was worth saying that that Trump was escorted off the stage after he fell. All of the main networks, if you look what their first reactions were, Basically, the implication was This is not an assassination attempt. This is not political violence. And so once again, as with the president's mental state, as with anything they are doing, the bidding of the Biden campaign.
Speaker 2: It's for your earlier question. I mean, I think President Biden ought to resign.
Speaker 12: He was the one who just five days ago said we're putting the crosshairs on Donald Trump. And as you mentioned, saying that democracy at staked. We had four years of Donald Trump's presidency, including two years where he controlled both houses of Congress and when he had a political majority on the Supreme Court, effective Republican control of all.
Speaker 2: Three branches of government. Did he become a dictator?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 2: Did he refuse to leave office on January twentieth.
Speaker 12: Well, he attempted, certainly to have the election looked at in a different light than people were looking at it. But he left. He didn't break any laws, I don't think. I think all the charges against him are phony. And so is this constant accusation that he's a dictatorship. Yeah, eventually you're going to get the message through to a nutjob who does something violent like this, And it's this inability to discuss the issues facing this country and instead to engage in the politics of personal destruction.
Speaker 2: They can't talk about inflation.
Speaker 12: They can't talk about why we got thrown out of Afghanistan, why Iran is running around the Middle East. They can't talk about why US energy production has been lagging, and why people are furious at high prices, and why the border is open.
Speaker 2: And so what do you do?
Speaker 12: You demonize your opponent, and I think that has a cost.
Speaker 3: Christian Whitten, thanks so much for coming on and chatting to us. What an extraordinary day and history assassination attempt on Donald Trump and what that means for the future of America. Thanks Christian so much for coming on, and we'll chat again soon. Let's just have another look now at the actual moments of the shooting of Donald Trump, which happened less than about an hour ago through Fox. Have a listen, look here, look at what happened.
Speaker 5: Let me let meet. So we're going.
Speaker 12: I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: Okay, And we've now got a statement from Donald Trump's Truth Social which is his social media outlet.
Speaker 5: Here we go.
Speaker 3: President Trump thanks the enforcement and first responders for their quick action during this heenous act. This is the he is fine and is being can't read the rest of it.
Speaker 8: Caroline checked out at a local medical facility. More details, a little bit closer to the screen.
Speaker 3: Than you are, right, Thanks Caroline. That's great. So Caroline, what a day for you to be here on Outsiders with us. What a morning?
Speaker 5: Incredible, this is extraordinary.
Speaker 11: Breaking new story.
Speaker 8: I think we've got Shaun Spice on the line as well, so let's go to an interview with.
Speaker 11: Him, because he will really.
Speaker 8: Have an insight into what will be in everyone's minds in the US in the presidential campaign.
Speaker 11: Seawan, thank you for joining us on Outsiders.
Speaker 3: Sean, great to have you, But under what circumstances give us your thoughts on what has happened with this attempted assassination on Donald Trump and who's to blame.
Speaker 6: Well, it's outrageous and I think we're gonna have plenty of time to figure out who's to blame. I think the commentary that you guys are providing has been spot on. It's interesting the Democrats are quick to accuse everybody on the right about political violence.
Speaker 14: We'll have to see who this shooter was.
Speaker 6: I've been texting with people on the ground at the rally that appears to be several other people that have been shot agree to, which I think we're going to find out in the coming hours. But this level of political violence is something that I have denounced on both sides from the get go.
Speaker 14: Several years back, as you recall, I.
Speaker 6: Was with Donald Trump when he visited our Steve Scalise, who was at that time the House whip. We went to the hospital that night to visit Congressman Scalise and his team and the police officers that have been shot.
Speaker 14: So again, I think we don't know. We'll low a lot more.
Speaker 6: You heard in that video the Secret Service saying shoot her down. We'll get a lot more detail soon. There's gonna be a lot of questions about security as your audience, just as you discussed with your audience earlier, in terms of how something got in, what kind of weapon was it, and then who the shooter was in their background. But I think that what you guys are touching on is very interesting because the rhetoric of the left, you know, is something that gets a pass in our media, and Christian Witten mentioned this over and over again. You listen to people like Chuck um Er, the Senate Majority Leader, Maxine Waters, the congressman from California who advocate for violence against people on the right.
Speaker 14: It gets very little attention.
Speaker 6: So if this were to match up, I think we would know exactly who to blame.
Speaker 5: And Sean, I just want to read to you.
Speaker 4: It's funny you mentioned Chuck Schumer because I've just been sent some quotes that he stated back in May when he claimed that Donald Trump was quote falsely suggesting his political opponents are out to kill him, and Chuck Schumer said that this was quote beyond the pale and is the stuff that leads to political violence. That's what Schumer said on the Senate for and accused Donald Trump of having no consideration for the sanctity and peacefulness and further functioning of our democracy. So, I mean, you see in that quote exactly the sort of gaslighting that the left does, where on the one hand they say, oh, you know, this whole thing is completely overblown, No one's going to try and shoot Donald Trump, and then in the very next breath on to say, but this guy is a complete, you know, threat to our democracy. Saw The questions for you, though, is you've been on presidential campaigns. You know how these things work, as have I how does Donald Trump now campaign going forward? Is it going to be more difficult to hold these big rallies, you know, with the security that you'll be needing now that there's already been one apparent attempt on his life.
Speaker 6: Look, I've been in several situations with him, both as a candidate and as president of the United States. Ultimately, the Secret Services job is to provide the president with their recommendation.
Speaker 14: We don't think you should go here. This is how much time we're going to need.
Speaker 6: But the president and now candidate Trump, the nominee, can override those decisions. And you saw him tonight. They were trying to take them off the stage. He wanted to get up, hump his fist, he wanted to make sure he had his shoes.
Speaker 14: This is Donald Trump as his essence.
Speaker 6: I've been with him before where he's overridden the Secret Service, and I think he's going to you.
Speaker 14: He's not going to let this incident.
Speaker 6: Undermine his ability to hold to get in touch with the people. They may have to do some additional screenings and stuff like that, but I don't think in any way, shape or form, this will deter Donald Trump. He is going to be in fact, probably more driven to go out there and show it was kind of like post COVID. If you remember when he returned from you to read, he climbed up the stairs rip the mask off. I would bet you, if I had to pet put money on it.
Speaker 14: Today it is.
Speaker 6: Seven point thirty here Eastern time in the US where that occurred. I bet you that we see a photo of him by nine thirty tonight, some video of him.
Speaker 14: He's gonna want to be out there.
Speaker 6: He's gonna want to thank law enforcement, not leave it to the spokesman Stephen Chung, despite Stephen being a great spokesman. I think Trump is going to want to make sure that he gets out there, you know, some kind of video message. But this is not in any way going to deter him. He's going to want to show people the fighter he is.
Speaker 15: Now.
Speaker 6: One last thing I'll say, there's stories today about the message and the optics that Trump was really trying to showcase going into the Republican National Convention. He wanted to contrast what he believes is strength versus Joe Biden's weakness, and mark my word, tonight, he is going to come out of this event trying to show further strength over Joe Biden's perceived weakness, and.
Speaker 5: Sean, we're already hearing now from the ap that.
Speaker 4: One shooter that one other person we believe is also dead from.
Speaker 5: That from the incident, now that we've we've we've had that reported. But also I want just ask you about that iconic books to Night, real.
Speaker 14: Quick, real quick.
Speaker 3: On that.
Speaker 6: I think there's there's two things. One is, obviously we heard shoot her down. Just to be clear, the Secret Service, if they felt like there was an active threat, would take the individual out.
Speaker 14: But considering the size of the rally.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if that person was amongst others, I don't know that they would. They're not going to just shoot it somebody. So there's a possibility that's the person that's down. But I've also been texting with folks at the rally. There were other people shot. In fact, one of the people that I'm texting with so says that somebody in the front row got hit in the head. I can't confirm that yet, is secondhand. So my point is there are others. You heard all those pops go off, and if there's people right behind Donald Trump and that audience in that rally, I have a hard time believing somebody didn't get hit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so apparently the AP is reporting that another person at the rally has been shot at the fatality, so that maybe.
Speaker 14: Confirm the person.
Speaker 6: The person that I'm talking to says in the front row, somebody near them was shot in the head. Obviously, you know, I know as much as that text, but that close, that proximity to Trump getting hit in the head would be sort of the obvious suspect in that case.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, so we're obviously the details are coming through thick and fast too. But I just want to go back to that really iconic image again, you know, with the blood and the fist bump and the flag. To me, it seems like this this is one of these moments that's going to go down in American history, and this is one of those iconic images. But I would also expect that this is going to factor very heavily in the Trump campaign because his message to now has been, you know, they tried to beat me in the lecture, they tried to do this, they tried to arrest me, they tried to jail me.
Speaker 5: None of these things work.
Speaker 4: So obviously, you know, this plays into what Donald Trump says about the narrative of how far his enemies are willing to go to stop him. This is the basically the image of the campaign now through November, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Absolutely You're right.
Speaker 6: I mean, think about it. They tried to kick him off. I mean, look, I was there in twenty sixteen. We can go back, and I've been tweeting about this for the last several months. It was the Steele dossier, the cover up and the suppression of the laptop, then the kick him off the ballot, then the legal the law fair, and now this, I think to your point about the Schumer quote earlier, think about it. They have mocked him for claiming the extent to which others have tried to stop him, and now virtually an assassination attempt is at Bay.
Speaker 14: So you can't mock him anymore. You can't say that he didn't know what he was talking about.
Speaker 6: You didn't He knew his enemy, he knew the people and the extent to which they were going after him. And I will be very interested in I think we've talked a little bit.
Speaker 14: I've been listening to your coverage.
Speaker 6: I think it was fantastic about how the media here in the US is playing it. It's odd that you, a foreign entity, a foreign media outlet, is taking this more seriously than our own media here in terms of fully recognizing it that it's an assassination attempt. I will be further interested to see how our democratic leaders here in America respond to this. Do they try to turn it into a policy cause where they talk about gundom control, or do they express sympathy for him and denounce the shooter. I will be really interested because I think that the Democrats are going to try to use this as an opportunity for themselves, a which is horrible, but be shortsighted.
Speaker 3: And Sean and Sean, We've also seen examples of the left wing media there, and I repeat myself, the media there in the States coming out with nonsense like, uh, you know, Donald Trump fell over and at a rally, and Caroline, you've got another one for us.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 8: The Washington Post reported the story with the headline Trump escorted away after loud noises at Pennsylvania rally.
Speaker 6: I you know what I I I actually hope I'm glad you're telling me this, because I'm gonna I'm going to start looking capturing and cataloging these this is insane fell down after a loud noise. I think the problem, Caroline is that they're trying to figure out a way to equivocate what Trump just did after being shot and Joe Biden falling down the stairs. They want to say, see they both fall down. I think that that's the truth in the idea is how do we equivocate this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now, Sean, I want to I want to ask you out what this means for American society as a whole. Now, I've always feared that the as James referred to, the temperature of the debate in this election and the last one, it just seems to rampoping up, you know, civil war in America? Riots, What's what's going to happen? What lies ahead? Because you don't start shooting presidential candidates unless the temperature is way beyond reasonable and rational and has entered a pretty serious social unease.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, a few minutes ago I made the comment that I've never believed that violence is an acceptable way of solving our political differences in America, frankly anywhere, and I hope that we continue that. It's been those folks on the left. You think about it, after the BLM riots where they ran around and deface statues, They vandalized buildings and monuments and statues and physically assaulted people. I would hope that everybody today takes a big step back, and I think that your coverage earlier really illuminated what's been going on on the left. They get away with this language where they talk about dictatorships, threats to democracy, and if you think about it, if you're a big supporter. We saw this with Steve Scalice, the shooter, the Bernie Sanders supporter that went after him and those other members of.
Speaker 14: Congress on the Republican side. He thought that he was exacting their will. He thought, Wow, you are a threat. I'll take you out.
Speaker 6: And the big question that's going to come in the hours to come is who is the shooter?
Speaker 14: What motivated them?
Speaker 6: I can't, by any means, think that a Trump supporter is going to shoot someone they like.
Speaker 14: It's pretty obvious, you know.
Speaker 6: I think if just common sense where this person whoever shot the president and these other innocent.
Speaker 14: People came from.
Speaker 6: But the big, you know, the issue is is that this is not something that is ever going to be acceptable. And I hope that it's further recognition that the left needs to watch its rhetoric too.
Speaker 3: Swan Spine, so fantastic, Thanks so much for coming here on outside as and chatting to us. What an extraordinary day, and thank you so much for your insights and perception. There. That was Shaw and Spicer there from the States. Caroline, you've been. You've had some social media comment from Scott Morrison.
Speaker 8: Well, were tributes, and I guess tributes that's usually when someone's actually killed. But this is what's happened here. Scott Morrison, the former Prime Minister of Australia, has already put out a post on x He says sad and shocked and appalled at the attempted assassination of President Trump.
Speaker 16: Prayers for him and his family today, as.
Speaker 8: Well as all those who put their own lives at risk to protect those in public life. Prayers also for America and it's people, a great democracy.
Speaker 16: And a great French ault.
Speaker 3: Well that's absolutely right, Scott Morrison. Now let's hear from someone who's actually at the rally. This this interview took place only a few minutes ago. Have a listen.
Speaker 14: What did you see, sir? I heard the shots.
Speaker 17: I thought it was Star characters to begin with.
Speaker 14: Somebody over there was screaming, he's been shot.
Speaker 3: He's been shot.
Speaker 13: So I made my way over.
Speaker 17: I said, I'm an emergency department physician.
Speaker 1: Let me help you.
Speaker 13: The guy had spun around.
Speaker 5: Was jammed between the benches.
Speaker 7: He had a headshot.
Speaker 17: Here, there's lots of blood and he had brain matter.
Speaker 10: So I got him.
Speaker 8: Here's a helicopter coming in to get him.
Speaker 14: So I got people there, really helpful.
Speaker 17: I got then the CPR bit chest impressions as well as a brief.
Speaker 4: Form horrific, James, I mean, what more can you say about what we've just seen here? This is apparently an attempted assassination of somebody who was going to be, or is likely to be now almost surely likely to be now the next president of the unice States. This is political violence, as far as we can tell. We you know, will know more about the shooter, but at this point the only thing that we can say is that this was this rowan in Caroline. This was the real attempt on American democracy. And I think everybody needs to remember this. You know, for years now, for years we have been told that Donald Trump is.
Speaker 5: The threat to American democracy.
Speaker 4: That the right is the threat to American democracy, that they're the ones who want to bring Putin style tactics to American politics, that they're the ones who want to behave like dictators and authoritarians. Well, you know what, I am sorry, But when you have a situation where a political candidate is there's an attempt on their life, and if this turns out to be, and there's no reason to think, because it's the most likely explanation right now, that this was some sort of politic motivated assassination attempt here, that this is political violence of the worst sort, that is an attempt to undermine and interfere with the American democratic process. And this is absolutely unacceptable. We have already seen on the left side of politics in the last three or four weeks, the attempt to remove a sitting president through getting him to resign because of his horrendous debate performance that is in many ways in itself rather undemocratic, because he should stand for election at the next election and be dispatched by the voting booth. But this is a million times worse. But it is this is the denu man of years and years and years of demonization of the right and of the left that just seems to in some quarters of it really celebrate violence. I'm sorry to say that, but that is just simply the truth.
Speaker 8: It's such a shocking incident, but I in some respects, I don't think any of us are all that surprise, because this seemed like it was an inevitable outcome from all the rhetoric that James is talking about.
Speaker 11: You know, Biden himself, as we.
Speaker 8: Pointed out earlier, said it's time to put Trump in the bull's eye only day.
Speaker 3: You know, that's deliberate, that's disgraceful. We've got a reaction here from Nigel Farage, who of course is a great friend of Donald Trump's, and of course Nigel frag did brilliantly in the recent elections. Caroline's going to read it out.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so Nigel Farage, He's said on x mainstream media have spread a narrative of hatred against my friend Donald Trump. I hope they are proud of themselves disgusting people, and that's exactly what we were.
Speaker 3: I think it's also worth noting, isn't it, James? The American people, all the assassination attempts, whether it's Lincoln Kennedy, Martin, Luther King, the other Kennedy, Reagan. They always go after the guy. Well, I always got off to the very best. And now Trump joins that pantheon.
Speaker 4: This is very much a Teddy Roosevelt moment. You know, Teddy Roosevelt, he was shocked by an assassin and he prepay very much in the same sort of manner. Trump is really embracing I think the legacy of Teddy Roosevelt right here. But I want to show also, you know, just on this overheated rhetoric thing. You know, I remember in twenty twenty being in the United States and being in New York for that presidential election when Joe Biden won that election and defeated Donald Trump. But I was in a shop in Soho in Lower Manhattan, and all up and down Fifth Avenue and all up and down Madison Avenue and all around Soho and all of the shopping districts, they were putting plywood over the windows. And I said to it, And I said to this guy, I said, so, what's what's the deal?
Speaker 5: Playing dumb?
Speaker 4: I said, what's the deal with all the wood over the windows and everything? And this is two or three days before the election, and he just smiled, laughed and shook his head and said, just in case the wrong guy wins, because they knew that if Trump won there would be violent right. But I want to show just if we could show this from the New Republic magazine. Somebody we were speaking to a moment ago referenced this cover that they ran just days ago. And again, this is Donald Trump, American fascist made up to look like Adolph Hitler and unhinged.
Speaker 3: James, if you're unhinged or actually believe all the nonsense, you know you're not desperately bright individual. Now we don't know who the shooter is. The shooter apparently is dead. You know, if you're going to see this endless, endless, as James says, Caroline, assault on your senses that Donald Trump is such an evil person. He's the modern Hitler is in a destroyed democracy. If you're a slightly dim character who's been marinated in this garbage for years on end, well then maybe you will go out and do this. And this is what the Left have been hoping. They've tried them. They themselves have tried every trick in the book to stop Donald Trump. Legal avenues, fake legal avenues, I would say, fake certain aspects to do the last election. They've had, fortifying elections, all of that, and finally a bullet comes Donald Trump's way and as Caroline was just saying no and is surprised, Let's have here from another person who was at that rally. This assassination attempt took place just over an hour ago. Let's sit here from one of the other people who was there.
Speaker 18: Well, we were basically standing.
Speaker 1: There was a.
Speaker 18: Trump campaign people at the tent right there on the corner, and we kind of went all together towards where he was speaking as place as you could get. And one of the kids was really tall. So my wife's like, hey, can you take this, you know, and get me a picture of it real close? And next thing, you know, as soon as he pointed the I'm sorry. As soon as he pointed the camera, all hell broke loose.
Speaker 19: Walk me through how many shots or pops rather you heard and what you were thinking? I mean, were you afraid for your safety or here with your family?
Speaker 18: I just wanted everybody to be calm and don't panic, you know, because they're not aiming for us, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Wow, Well, let's hear now from John fund who, of course you when I was a regular on the must watch every Friday night US Report. John, great to have you here. James is here as well. Your reaction to this assassination attempt on Donald Trump. The assassin apparently is dead, another individual is dead. What's how's America reacting.
Speaker 13: John.
Speaker 17: Well, America was not happy with this presidential election already for a variety of reasons. This just descends further into chaos for us. It is a bad image for the rest of the world. And I certainly agree with what James and others have said though about the need to lower the political rhetoric. Let me just give you a recounting of the incidents of the last few years. We had that fellow who shot Republican leader Steve Scalise at a baseball practice game. He was a Bernie Sanders supporter. We had Floyd Lee Corkins, who was an avid MSNBC viewer and left wing activist who tried to kill several people of a conservative group called the Family Research Council. With James Lee Hodgkinson, who was arrested for plotting the assassination of several conservative members of Congress. We had a gentleman who was arrested for plotting the assassination of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who was a Trump appointee. I only mentioned this not to say that political violence is on one side of the spectrum of the other. As has been pointed out, there are right wing koops out there, and we should deplore it from whatever direction it comes. But in this kind of environment, having the kind of overheated rhetoric that has been referenced where people talk about putting bull's eyes on people, people saying that someone is a dictator, and what do you do with dictators, Well, a dictator means you can't vote them out. Therefore you have to take other means to get rid of them. This is a wake up call for the country to have a debate, not about gun control, not about anything else, but about are we going to have a civil, principal election about the issues or is it going to descend further into overheated rhetoric that frankly, the people who use it on television don't even believe it.
Speaker 7: But I don't even believe it.
Speaker 17: It's pure demogosory, and I think it's time for all of us to take a breath, whether we're on the right or the left, and say, let's have a different election for the next four months and not an election that descends into puerile propaganda.
Speaker 4: Jen So John here, I'm just going to go to some live footage here from the from the scene here, But I'm hearing unconfirmed reports that there's footage of a shooter from a roof of a nearby building. So we're waiting to find out more confirmation on whether or not that was indeed the shooter.
Speaker 5: Will bring more on that in a moment. But Barack Obama.
Speaker 4: Has tweeted moments ago, and I want to ask you about this because he tweeted moments ago that there's absolutely no place for political violence in our democracy. Now that's Barack Obama, the same guy whose entire rhetoric for his entire political career has been saying things like, you know, get in their faces and punch back twice as hard. This sort of movement to repivot away from the you know, rather aggressive, shall we say, rhetoric that so many on the left have used for years and years. This strikes me, frankly, John, as hypocrisy personified.
Speaker 17: I think again, everyone whether they're in a high position in politics, or just someone on the street, but certainly everyone who appears on television should take a deep breath and lower the temperature and lower the rhetoric. Sadly, I think the campaign from here on out is going to be different in a significant way.
Speaker 14: If it's true.
Speaker 17: That one of these shots was fired from a rooftop, that makes the job of the Secret Service very, very difficult for rallies like this. We may see future Trump rallies either canceled or maybe there'll be some kind of glass apparatus placed over him that's with bulletproof glass, so he speaks from as if he's in some kind of a chamber. It's going to be a different campaign from here on out, that's for sure. And if I were Donald Trump, I know he doesn't want to do it, but I would limit my appearances for the next little bit while the Secret Service has a complete review of its procedures and how this happened.
Speaker 3: Caroline, we had rumors on social media.
Speaker 8: I haven't seen it confirmed by a reputable source yet, but there certainly is that of a suspect that is circulating on social media that is associated with.
Speaker 11: A political group.
Speaker 8: I won't put any names to air yet because we don't have it confirmed.
Speaker 3: Politically, making no surprises who the political group is an extreme left wing.
Speaker 8: Out Yeah, look, it hasn't been confirmed yet, and so I think we should be very careful here, but no doubt within the next few minutes, if there's already names and there's videos of this particular person that apparently video that he made shortly before this, by all accounts, looks like an attempted assassination on president, the former president Donald Trump. We'll know the details of that very shortly, but I you know, just.
Speaker 3: Get we will keep you up to date here and all the breaking news that is happening. There have been reactions from all sorts of different people around the world.
Speaker 2: Obviously, here we go.
Speaker 3: This is live now, and this is we can see. This is at the scene of the rally where there was an attempted assassination attempt on Donald Trump only just over an hour ago. Donald Trump is safe and well, but they are now talking about who the shooter is. One shooter is dead, one other tragically, one other attendee at the rally, a Donald Trump supporter, was also killed. Let's have a listening again to the actual incidence. Quite funny. We've got the sound now and you actually hear Donald Trump saying, Hey, I've got to grab my shoes, which is fantastic. Donald Trump, as he was being assassinated, has got to make sure he's properly dressed for on the way out. Let's have a listen.
Speaker 4: Look at what happened.
Speaker 20: Yeah, let me get sorry, I got to.
Speaker 5: Get Let me get so we're gonna.
Speaker 21: Let me.
Speaker 11: Also, he was.
Speaker 7: On the bot.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the reports are Donald Trump is now safe. He's actually tweeting on his own social media that he is fine, and obviously his thoughts and sympathies are with the person who died. The shooter has died, but also an attendee at the rally was killed by a bullet, which is a tragedy in itself. John, what will be the ramifications for Joe Biden? I mean, all the emphasis have been on Joe Biden about you know, whether he can string a sentence together or whatever, But now this lifts the entire election into a very different area.
Speaker 2: What does this mean?
Speaker 3: Will this kind of speed up the dimease of Joe Biden or will it cement him into position?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 17: I think it's incumbent upon the President of the United States in a situation like this, if the shooter has the associations that have been mentioned, Obviously you don't want to draw a broad brush, but the President of the United States should make a clear statement not just that political violence is unacceptable, but that the tenor and tone and rhetoric of this campaign has to go to a new level, a less confrontational level, without words like bull'seye, without portraits of Adolf Hitler superimposed upon Donald Trump. And the President should make it clear to his supporters and to everyone in the country that we have to have a different kind of campaign starting right now till November.
Speaker 3: John fun thanks so much for being with us on this extraordinary morning. I thank you for taking the time to come on Outsiders, and we wish America all the best because there's some tough, very tough times and days lie ahead. John Fund the political commentator. You can hear him with James Morrow every Friday or as Fridays there on Sky News Australia. Well, we've had a response from Anthony Alberizi who has put out a response here. It is on Twitter. Prime Minister of Australia who says there is no place for violence in the democratic process. I'm relieved to hear reporting that former President Trump is now safe. Thank you Prime Minister Rabansi for that, Caroline.
Speaker 8: You know what's particularly disturbing I'm looking online at all the coverage of this and seeing what people are saying and already trending on X is this idea that this entire incident was stayed.
Speaker 11: Putting out about.
Speaker 4: This James surprise, what a surprise of horses people, And again we you know, and again let us just be really clear. We do not know who did it. We don't know who's responsible. When we do have that Confron, we will bring that to you. But the way that immediately and this started, I saw this, Caroline, as soon as I started tweeting about this incident before we went on there people coming back in my replies and say, oh, this was all set up, This is a false flag, this is some sort of thing to make it look, you know, make Trump look like a victim. And I mean, that's just utterly disgraceful. But it's no more disgraceful really than so much of what you know, we're seeing from so much of the press on this I'm waiting for somebody to say that Trump's calls to fight were an incitement to violence.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's where that is.
Speaker 3: How Let's frame the new headlines, Caroline, you're an experienced journalist. Hat's frame the headlines? So Donald Trump trips over and stumbled an incodent after loud noise and then calls on the on people to fight, fight, fight?
Speaker 5: Is that happens?
Speaker 4: In fact, the Babylon b has got a great headline.
Speaker 5: They've mobbed up. I don't know if we can show it here.
Speaker 4: We can laugh about this because Trump is all right, but you know they put the headline on a clumsy Trump hits head on bullet.
Speaker 3: Now let's go to the you know, you've got to have a bit of humor, black humor in these times. But I'm sure Donald Trump would appreciate it. Let's go to the mayor who was there at the Trump rally just over an hour ago when an assassin assassination attempt was made on former President Donald Trump. Is the mayor?
Speaker 19: Tell me you were up on the stage, you were near the former president.
Speaker 14: What happened?
Speaker 1: I was actually with the president about fifteen twenty minutes before that. That awful thing occurred, and my wife and I and my family were seated front row, just left of stage and obviously.
Speaker 7: A complete one to eighty.
Speaker 1: You know, we all came in here with with smiles and hope for the future, and what's happened today, I'm speechless. Over All I can think of right now is that this is representative of the vitriol and the hate that a lot of people in the United States seem to have for people with conservative ideals and principles behind them. And I'm just sorry that it's come to that, and I'm sorry that it's coming here in Butler County.
Speaker 19: Where were you standing when the former president ended up hitting the ground there right behind.
Speaker 14: That podies Donald's there.
Speaker 1: I was standing right on the on the barrier to the left of the stage, front row, And you know, at first I heard that that first crack, I started to look around. I thought couldn't possibly have been around, you know, I thought for sure it might have been a firecracker. But I looked at my wife, who's a state police officer. I pushed her down to the ground. On the second one sounded to me like it might have been a twenty two round something similar to it. I asked her if she thought it sounded like a twenty two.
Speaker 5: She said yes.
Speaker 1: We just yelled for everybody to take get down on the ground and to stay down to allow the Secret Service and law enforcement to do what it is they had to do.
Speaker 14: We weren't really quite sure what was happening.
Speaker 1: And unfortunately, just a few feet behind me there was an unfortunate individual who lost his life to this maniac.
Speaker 19: Did you see the person who was shot?
Speaker 1: I did, I did.
Speaker 14: I did see some of that.
Speaker 1: Of course I didn't actually see the I didn't see the shot itself, but I did.
Speaker 19: So you turn around, so you push your wife down, You look around for your family, you take cover your stop. You see the president get back up, give that fist pot. You turn around and you see somebody in the crowd had been shot.
Speaker 1: They were shot, they were on the bleachers, and it was just a really sad thing to witness, and unfortunately understand that individual lost their life.
Speaker 3: Well, if you've just joined us, we'll just recaps. So just over an hour ago, an hour and a half ago, there was an assassination attempt on former president and presidential candidate Donald Trump at a Donald Trump rally in Pennsylvania. It was Saturday afternoon American time. It appears that a bullet skimmed Donald Trump, hid him just behind the ear or grazed his ear. There was blood across his ear. He ducked down, the Secret Service piled on top of him. We'll have a look at it in a second exactly what happened. What we now know is that the shooter was then killed and an individual sadly tragically a fan there.
Speaker 14: At the.
Speaker 3: Watching the Trump. Trump's supporter is reported to have been killed, along with the reports that the shooter was killed, so we can't verify that, but those are the current reports. Donald Trump himself went to hospital nearby and has since reported on social media that he is fine. As he was escorted from the stage by the Secret Service, he continually pumped his fist in the air and yelled out defiantly, fight Fight. The crowd were shocked and ducked for cover. This is all that's happened, and since then we've had reports small around the world, different people obviously offering their sympathy and offering their theories on.
Speaker 2: Where to from here.
Speaker 3: We'll keep you for the next For the rest of the day, but certainly here on Outsiders for the next hour, we'll be talking to more people about exactly what has happened. Let's just have a quick look now at the very moment of the assassination tempt on Donald Trump just over an hour ago.
Speaker 4: Look at what happened.
Speaker 5: Let me.
Speaker 20: Get got you, sir, I got to.
Speaker 7: Get let me get my.
Speaker 22: Shoes, so we gotta let me go.
Speaker 23: Let's tell me, well, you're watching that extraordinary moment that happened just about an hour and a half ago in the US, an assassination attempt on the former president Donald Trump.
Speaker 16: And we finally heard from the current.
Speaker 8: President, Joe Biden about ninety minutes after this happened. He posted on excess statement, I have been briefed on the shooting at Donald Trump's rally in Pennsylvania. I'm grateful to hear that he's safe and doing well. I'm praying for him and his family and for all those who were at the rally as we await further information. Jill and I are grateful to the Secret Service for getting him to safety. There's no place for this kind of violence in America. We must unite as one nation to condemn it. Rowan I mean, it took a long time for this statement to come out. We had already heard from the former president Barack Obama, we heard from the former Prime Minister Scott Morrison, Nigel Farash, many other leaders political leaders around the world had reacted to this historical James.
Speaker 2: I imagine the Biden.
Speaker 3: Team are going through his tweets, going, let's get rid of all those cross hairs in the bullseye tweets.
Speaker 5: I mean, honestly, and.
Speaker 4: Again, I'm sorry, and you know, you want to expect the best from the president, no matter what party they are, what their politics are, even if you wildly disagree with them. But I noticed a little hit of equivocation there at the end this kind of political violence. You know, it's not a uniform condemnation of all political violence, which I think we all condemn all political violence in a democracy. And this, you know, equivocation has to be seen as coming forty eight hours after Joe Biden or remember his tweet his team because he's not there with that fame like Donald Trump hitting the socials but saying America wants a president, America doesn't want a dictator. So the implication again calling Donald Trump beyond the pale, you know, a dictator. And again this has been the nature of the rhetoric, not just about Trump. You know, we were talking earlier about Steve Scalise and many congressmen who were shot before a congressional baseball game at their practice a number of years ago. You know, this was by a Bernie bro that was confirmed to be by somebody who was a Bernie Sanders supporter, and they wanted to take out a large number of people in the Republican caucus. And thankfully this person was a very very poor shot. But you know, this is the sort of thing we have seen political violence from the left four years, if not decades. And we also see by the way, you know, it's not just in the United States, other countries. Bolsonaro in Brazil there was a tempt on his life and he is always called far right. And again it's this whole pushing of people who are on the right of politics beyond the pale and for somebody who has you know, as you said before, rowand potentially you know, a state that's not sharing our common reality that can be enough to trigger trigger bad things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I like the fact you mentioned there that phrase far right James, because it is disgraceful in the way that, of course there are far right individuals, but the way that phrase is labeled and thrown at basically anybody.
Speaker 13: Who is.
Speaker 3: Anything other than hard left, you can be sent to right and you're far right these days, and that pushes all conservatives into this extremist bucket. And it is a disgrace and it is feeding into events I imagine, such as we saw earlier today. Let's go to analyse Nilssen. Now there, Sky News, Australia's correspondent in America. Analyse. Thanks for coming on. It's just nearly two hours now, an hour and a half plus since this is attempted assassination.
Speaker 5: Of Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: What can you tell us that has happened in the last nineteen minutes, Analise.
Speaker 9: Well, in the last ninety minutes, we've seen statements come out from across the board of people condemning what's happened in Pennsylvania and across the political spectrum. This is going to completely reframe the race. But what we've been waiting for is a statement from Joe Biden. We've seen he's put out that statement you read a short time ago. But I can tell you that there's now been a notice sent to the White House Press pool saying that he will deliver remarks to the traveling press pool from Rehoboth Beach in Delaware in They've just said shortly, so that could be at any moment. The pressure is on for him to address this in person. This is an assassination attempt on his political rival in this campaign, and it needs to be condemned right now. And that's the sense coming from people across the political spectrum that they want to see their presidents step in at this moment.
Speaker 10: We've seen this reporting.
Speaker 9: BBC's interviewed and eye witness to the shooting saying that it was someone who crawled up on a rooftop near the venue.
Speaker 10: This is going to completely up end.
Speaker 9: How the Secret Service does these kind of things, because there's no reasonable circumstance where a rooftop that was vulnerable to that kind of use from someone who has ill intent towards the president should be allowed to have anyone anyone near it.
Speaker 10: I've been to plenty of these events.
Speaker 9: Generally, when you're standing in the ground, any rooftop within eyesight, you can see a sniper set up on those roofs because they take this quite seriously, and today is the exact reason why there are people out there that wish Donald Trump ill.
Speaker 10: There are people out there that wish him dead.
Speaker 9: And this would have been a catastrophe for this election campaign for America if this would have been any worse than what was the mark on his ear. But this is going to completely reframe the race. This is now going to vindicate many of Donald Trump's supporters who say that everyone is out to get him, that he doesn't deserve the legal cases against him, and it's just people who wish him ill because they have their own ill intent that they want to reac on their lives. Now, Donald Trump's going to be walking around with a piece of his ear missing for the rest of this election campaign saying I have the evidence that is exactly what is happening.
Speaker 10: So this is a critical moment for Joe Biden as.
Speaker 9: His campaign comes to a crashing end in many aspects because of the issue since the debate, the loss of support within his own party and his own allies coming out and criticizing his ability to continue to now have this happen. At this point, this is a moment for Joe Biden not to just reframe his campaign, but to speak up as the president of the United States of America for people who are going to be really scared about what's going.
Speaker 10: To happen in the next few months after what's happened today.
Speaker 3: And Alicia gave me a mental image of Donald Trump's van god Off with the kind of bandage over his ear wandering around. I think that that's something we can look forward to. But listen, Analys, you're an expert on the US media in all it's the best and the worst of it is. We've already Caroline has already given us a few examples of how the left wing media downplaying this incident and trying to trivialize it. Will this drive the you know, should Biden stay or go? Thing off the front pages? Is that what's going to happen in the media. What do you foresee happening in the American media? How is it this going to play out over the next few days.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Look, I've seen some of the initial criticism of how certain outlets have covered this as it unfolded, and I think some of that criticism is unfair. This happens minute by minute, and the risks of reporting the wrong thing can be just so severe.
Speaker 10: You have to be cautious and what you say.
Speaker 9: It took a few minutes for all of us who weren't at the venue to realize just how serious this was.
Speaker 10: That first blush.
Speaker 9: When you watch the video, you hear the pops and you watch them bop down. And I didn't realize how serious it was with the blood on his face until we started seeing those photos come through ap even.
Speaker 10: Just a few minutes later.
Speaker 9: And so it's easy to screenshot a headline and say, oh, they've mischaracterized this, they've misconstrued it. But the reality is these are minute by minute things and no one was anticipating this, and it's as serious as it gets. Imagine if you went too soon and you accidentally said Donald Trump's been shot and it was something completely different. You can hear the Trump supporters on the canal behind me in Milwaukee. Are you're voting Republican? So you got some Trump fans here. I don't know if they know what's happened to Donald Trump just yet. The voat's moving too fast for me to ask. But so I will defend that aspect of the media. I think what's interesting to see here, though, is the criticism that's not coming Joe by in this way.
Speaker 10: He's taken longer to respond to these then.
Speaker 9: The Australian Prime Minister, our ambassador to former presidents, and he is in the White House. We were told through the White House press pool that he was being briefed. But it doesn't take long to know that your political opponent in a very tight race has been.
Speaker 3: It's taken much an It's Saturday afternoon, Joe Biden would have been having his nap. They had to wake him up first. Let's not forget that.
Speaker 9: James eight pm there, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Analise, I want to just go back to also just the incredible way in which the Republican candidate Donald Trump and Republicans in general, conservatives in general, have been demonized by high profile Democrats. Earlier I was talking about Chuck Schumer laughing off claims from the Trump camp that there was in fact a risk of this exact sort of thing that appears to have happened occurring. Of Nancy Pelosi just last week called Trump an authoritarian autocrat, saying we have to win this election.
Speaker 5: This is not a normal election.
Speaker 4: I mean Obviously we don't know yet, and we will find out more about the alleged shooter down the track. But it does seem that this entire idea that Trump is so far beyond the pale, has created this climate where people who who hate Trump could see, you know, any sort of means necessary to remove him.
Speaker 10: And we do say this. I say this all the time. As I.
Speaker 8: Think we've got Joe Bonnes.
Speaker 24: They apparently he's doing well. I plan on talking them sutly. I hope when I get back to the telephone. Look, there's no place in America for this kind of violence. It's sick. It's sick. It's one of the reason why we have to unite this country. We cannot allow for this to be happening. We cannot be like this. We cannot condone this. And so I want to thank the Secret Service and all the agency, including the state agencies, that have engaged in making sure that the people who and we have more detail to come relative to other injured, other people may be injured in the audience. I don't have all that detail, will make that available to you. I may be able to come back a little later tonight, but we'll put out a statement, if we don't, if I'm not able to get it, if it's not a comedian for you all. But the bottom line is that the Trump rally is a rally that he should have been able to be conducted peacefully without any problem.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 24: The idea that there's political violence or violence in America like this is just unheard of. It's just not appropriate, and everybody, everybody must condemn it.
Speaker 1: Everybody.
Speaker 24: I'll keep you informed, and if I am able to speak to the to Donald, I'll let you know that as well. But so far, it appears he's doing well number one, number two two, that they're thoroughly investigating what happened to anyone else in the audience. I have, we have some reports, but not final reports, and every agency in the federal government, and I'm going back to my phone to speak with the federal agencies that are being put together again to give me an updated prefiend as anything happened. They learning more in the last couple hours. So thank you very much, and I hope I get to speak to them tonight and I'll get back to you if I do. Okay, I don't know enough to I have an opinion, but I don't have any facts, so I want to make sure we have all the facts before I make some comment.
Speaker 7: Any more comments.
Speaker 22: Thank you?
Speaker 10: Was the security failing as president?
Speaker 3: Let's go to Adam Crichton, the excellent correspondent from the Australian who's over there in the States. Adam, great to chat to you as always, what do you make of the last two hours.
Speaker 22: Well, obviously it's just extraordinary, and we just heard the president's remarks there, so it's I suppose worth commenting on those. I mean, firstly, I think he took too long to make a statement. I mean it was almost ninety minutes. I think the Australian Prime Minister respondents sooner than the president. So I don't think that's a particularly good look. And I think generally the reason why Joe Biden then just didn't seem very enthusiastic at all about his comments is this is just terrible for the Democrat Party narrative that all the violence and all the extremism is supposedly on the right, which is obviously nonsense. And now you have a case where someone's tried to assassinate Donald Trump. Now, admittedly we don't know any of the facts about this person, yet except that they're dead. But it's quite possible that they're going to be an extremist on the left. So look, I don't think it's helpful for either side to be screaming at the other side about extremism. But I just think we need to get everything in perspective. And I think the other point it's important to make too, is the US is a country of three hundred and thirty million people. That's a lot of people, and so you were always going to get prasies on both sides, and so I don't think you want to take from this that, you know, all Americans are crazy. I just think that's the wrong interpretation. I mean, of course it's a polarized country, but we don't want to, you know, we don't want to say Americans, you know, are crazy and that they try to shoot their political leaders. I just don't think that is fair at all. Of Course, some people will try to say that, but you've got to remember it's an enormous country, and even a tiny, tiny percentage of an enormous number is still a large number.
Speaker 4: Adam, I wanted to go back to the statement that the President just delivered. By the way, thank you as an American for defending our honor that we are not all crazy. I do appreciate that. But in that statement, there was a couple of things that struck me. Number One, he said again this kind of violence, which seems to me to allow for some of the other violence we've seen from the left, you know, the Summer of Love riots of twenty twenty, that sort of thing. But number two, just even his affect the way he presented, the way that he seemed to stumble through parts of that and say, well, and if it's too late, you know, we'll put our statement as if you know, it seems to confirm to me this idea that you know, bedtime is coming up here for the president and he'll leave it to his team to put out any further statements if we have an identity of the shooter, or if there's any sort of further stuff. This seems to be just as damning for the Biden campaign and such an underlining of Trump's narrative as what we've just seen in the last couple of hours.
Speaker 22: Yeah, look, I think that's true. I think he clearly hated making those remarks, that that was very evident from his body language, and I think there's no surprise. I mean, he may be losing his mind, but he's still a very experienced politician, and he would certainly realize that they've probably lost the election because of this. I mean, there's going to be a huge, a huge ground swell of sympathy I would think for Donald Trump. I mean from both sides of politics. I would say from independent voters, that's going to be a perfectly natural response, especially given the you know, the extraordinary defiance that Donald Trump showed on the spot. I mean I must say, you know, I don't think I would have pondered like that. I mean, he basically got up, he shook his fist, he was bloody, and he asked for his shooes. I mean, it's quite extraordinary stuff. You know, the imagery is amazing for the Republicans and for Donald Trump. So look, I think if there's a point where where Democrats lost the election, you know, it may not be the debate that we've talked so much about. I think it may be this.
Speaker 8: Caroline Adam, how do you, Carolin Marcus here, how do you see this playing out for the Trump campaign? I mean where we've been talking here off the show about how the campaign will already be trying to turn those images, those almost iconic images of Trump raising his fist in the air, into promotional material for him.
Speaker 22: Oh look, I think they certainly will, and I think you know that they're going to feature very heavily at the convention next week in Milwaukee, which I assume is still going to go.
Speaker 7: Ahead as planned.
Speaker 22: I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if Donald Trump himself makes some sort of statement later this evening local time. I mean, that's his nature. I mean, he may or may not, but that wouldn't surprise me.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 22: Look, I think you know this is just a disaster for you know, for Democrats. I mean it really is. I mean, just like I said earlier, it just goes against their narrative of political violence on the right. I mean, he's a real tangible example of the opposite of that. And you know, it shows Trump is so kind of a vigorous still despite he's been seventy eight years old. You know, the contrast with Biden now is even more extreme than it was before.
Speaker 3: Adam Crichton from The Australian and Sky there in America, thanks so much for coming on and talking to us on outsiders. Adam, it's always great to see you. What a what an extraordinary day. Let's go down to Chris Kenny, our Sky News host here in the studio. Chris, great to see you, as always, What an extraordinary morning. Those of us who are keen Trump supporters have feared an event like this really for many many years. As it got closer and closer to the election. I got to say that I, for one, had been getting more and more nervous that such an event like this would take place. Chris, what's your thoughts this morning?
Speaker 25: This is the sort of event we've been dreading, and not only if you're a Trump supporter, just anybody who follows the American politics has seen how toxic and divisive it has become. And we've all dreaded the resurrection of your like of political violence in the US. It's been a thread in their history for centuries, of course, and we all really dreaded. This is shocking to see it unfold this morning. You know, I think Trump is a divisive figure. I'm not as enamored with him as you are, although I think the world was a stronger safer place when Trump was president than Joe Biden.
Speaker 14: But as you've been discussing this morning.
Speaker 25: The Democrats and all the way to the White House, President Joe Biden himself, they've been demonizing Trump.
Speaker 5: Day after day after day.
Speaker 25: And this has consequences. And I just saw the statement. They're the live statement that you went to in the US with Joe Biden offering his comments, and I think what's critical here is what Joe Biden did not say. I thought, I thought that was a disgusting statement from the president at such a time of chaos and concern for American democracy. He said nothing to call off the dogs, if you like, off Donald Trump. Nothing to say that we've got to stop being this divisive and not demonize this man.
Speaker 5: He gave a very very short shrift.
Speaker 25: In my view, he should have been absolutely telling people that this is a fair political contest between two political parties who are legitimate and are legitimate contenders. He should have denounced the way that Donald Trump has been demonized by so much of the media and so much of the political debate. But he can't do that because he's been the leading denouncer if you like. So Look, this is really really problematic, of course, for the American political system, for the Democrats, and you only had to look at the way that Donald Trump responded, and we're seeing some of those pictures now. Of course, Donald Trump wanted to appear defiant and strong, and good on him for doing that. But let's remember too, he wanted to signal to his support us there and to support us around the country that he was okay that he was going to walk off the stage. But let's have mentioned those Secret Service agents there, men and women. What they're doing there, and most viewers I think would understand this. They are putting themselves between the target and the shooter. They are making sure that if there are subsequent volleys of gunfire that they will be hit rather than Donald Trump. Now, these Secret Service agents, they'll be registered Democrats, registered Republicans. We don't know their politics, but their job is to protect the candidate, in this case, the former president, Donald Trump. And it's just I think incredible to see them putting themselves in harm way, harm's way to make sure that if there is another shot, it will hit them rather than Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: Brilliant christ Absolutely, Chris.
Speaker 3: Have a look here, we're seeing shots outside the hospital where Donald Trump is being treated. It's Butler Memorial hospital there in Pennsylvania. So they've got shots that are happening people, So he's inside.
Speaker 5: There, Chris James, Yeah, Chris, I wanted to.
Speaker 4: And also there's there's some talk that Trump may have been hit by the glass from the shattering teleprompter. There's some discussion that they that may have also been what entered his ears. We'll find out more about that soon. But Chris, I want to ask you about, you know, philosophically, there's a bigger issue here, and you know, we talk about the contest of ideas, the contest of ideas, and really, to me, that Biden statement seemed to be saying, you know, we can take the contest of ideas out of the realm of you know, speaking and talking and debating and discussing. It seemed almost to make you know, an excuse what he said, that that this of violence and talk about what is happening to politics around the world here when we have this situation where you know, people are starting to even begin to equivocate on.
Speaker 5: This, well, exactly, James, it was just terrible.
Speaker 25: The other factor of this statement from the president was that he didn't know anything. You're telling me that the president of the us couldn't get a call from someone at the scene to at least let him know whether the fatalities have been the shooter and an innocent victim or not.
Speaker 5: So he gave people no information.
Speaker 25: But you're right, his condemnation of violence was nuanced. It was weak, and it was it was not as strong as it should have been.
Speaker 14: And he said nothing to actually defend.
Speaker 25: The right of the other candidate of Donald Trump to hold this or he said, oh, I should be able to hold a rally like that. Well, no, it should be more than that. This is who's a legitimate candidate. He should be able to be contest this debate. He should be able to go about his business without being demonized daily by the media and by Democrats. And we need to respect this as a contest of ideas, not as a Remember, this is a president who says every day that the very future of democracies on the line.
Speaker 5: So he's telling people.
Speaker 25: Unless they defeat Trump or get rid of Trump, the whole of American democracy fails. That is an absolutely divisive and inflammatory line and proposition to put. And he should step back from that, and he should be telling the nation that that is not what's on the line Chris.
Speaker 3: Canny, absolutely, thanks so much for chatting to us here on Outsiders. And let's just remind ourselves of the assassination attempt two hours ago on Donald Trump. Let's have a look at the actual footage that took place.
Speaker 4: Look at what happened.
Speaker 15: Let me go.
Speaker 20: Or let me get got you, sir, I got to get.
Speaker 5: Let me get my shoes, so we gotta.
Speaker 21: Let me get Okay, okay.
Speaker 3: So that was the actual footage of the assassination attempt. Earlier this morning on Donald Trump Saturday afternoon in the States, the BBC had put an interview with one of the eyewitnesses who was there at the rally. So let's have a listened to this thanks to the BBC.
Speaker 2: So, we had a party here all day.
Speaker 26: Dude, you can see behind us at the Brinko's Farming greenhouse here. We had a party and we all decided, hey, you know, when we hear Trump up there, we're going to walk up through the field, stand by the trees out there under the shade and watch us right and.
Speaker 5: Listen to the rally.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 26: We couldn't see them, but we could hear them. So we walked up in probably five to seven minutes of Trump speaking of messaming here.
Speaker 7: I have no idea, you know, but.
Speaker 26: We noticed the guy crawling arm you know, bear crawling up the roof of the building beside us, fifty fifty feet away from us. So we're standing in there, you know, we're pointing. We're pointing at the guy crawling up the roof.
Speaker 5: And he had it counting right.
Speaker 10: He had a rifle.
Speaker 26: You get clearly see him with a rifle. Absolutely, we're pointing at him.
Speaker 7: The police are down.
Speaker 26: There running around on the ground. We're like, hey, man, this guy on the roof with the rifle. And the police were like, huh what, you know, like like they didn't know what was going on.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 26: We're like, hey, right here on the roof, we can see him from right here.
Speaker 5: We see him. He's crambling.
Speaker 26: And next thing, you know, I'm like, I'm thinking to myself, I'm like, why is Trump still speaking?
Speaker 5: Why have they not pulled him off the stage. I'm standing there.
Speaker 26: Pointing at him for you know, two or three minutes. Secret Services looking at us from the.
Speaker 5: Top of the barn.
Speaker 26: I'm pointing at that roof, just standing there like this, and next thing, you know, five shots right out, so you'll you're almost sudden where the shots coming from, not coming there one hundred percent.
Speaker 13: And he was up there for a couple of minutes.
Speaker 5: He was up there there for a couple of them, and.
Speaker 26: Absolutely at least three to four minutes.
Speaker 13: And you were telling the least in the secrets that we.
Speaker 26: Were telling the police. We were pointing at him. For the secret Service that were looking at us from the top of the barn. They were looking at us the whole time.
Speaker 5: When were you stand about that tree?
Speaker 26: Thanks pedoculars they see Probably not because the roofs, the way that the slow went, he was behind where they could see. But why is there not secret service on all of these roofs here? I mean, this is not a big place. Incredibly, if the guy was on the roof right there, you can see the right roof right there, you could to look at him, could you, I know? Other than he was in muted collers, tanned tight clothing. We saw the rifle flinging around as he was trying to crawl.
Speaker 5: I mean we saw the rifle one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I mean, do you know about how did you know what kind of weapon?
Speaker 7: It was?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 26: Absolutely know about guns?
Speaker 14: For sure, you know.
Speaker 26: I mean there is a rifle of some sort. I wouldn't know, you know, I wasn't close enough to read the label on it. But there was a rifle of some sort.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 26: Absolutely, So what do you how do you process what you've just seen?
Speaker 5: I don't know what to say, man. I I'll tell you is you know if I.
Speaker 26: If I walked up closer there with anything that can Secret Service considered a problem, I wouldn't be staying here talking to you right now. But I don't know why a guy who we're seeing in there point now to police and Secret Service is crawling up the roof. Yes, right there by that tree. We were outside of the security derman. But my question is there's only a few buildings around here. Why is Secret Service not in every building here?
Speaker 13: There's a whole bunch of questions. I think, are they going to come?
Speaker 5: There's a whole bunch of questions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that was an extraordinary interview courtesy of the BBC. From then, let's just recap what he was saying. This will this will be fueling the conspiracy theorists on social media. I can tell you that. So that was an eyewitness according to the interviewed by the BBC, who was saying clearly that he saw the shooter crawling up the building with a rifle before the assassination attempt, alerted the Secret Service, alerted the police, and was astonished when Donald Trump was still talking and still carrying on. So lots and lots to dissect there what you can. We're now going to aerial footage. This is of the event itself, and we're looking down at the rally there in Pennsylvania where it took place.
Speaker 5: Caroline.
Speaker 2: A lot to unpack from what that guy.
Speaker 16: Happened, Oh, certainly, And this is just these pictures are just from.
Speaker 8: The rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, because he was speaking at a farm show and this was his last rally before he was to be officially endorsed as a Republican presidential candidate.
Speaker 16: So it was I guess pretty high stakes.
Speaker 8: It was his last big appearance before that official endorsement.
Speaker 11: Weather's happened.
Speaker 8: But back to that BBC interview, and it just raises questions, doesn't it. If if what that witness said turned out to be accurate, how was Donald Trump not better protected as the possible and likely next president of the United States?
Speaker 11: As a presidential candidate.
Speaker 8: Why did they not sweep all the buildings in the surrounding areas?
Speaker 4: You know, I mean that gentleman there gave some extraordinary testimony and what he said was absolutely correct. I mean, you know, again, having traveled with presidents, I was part of the traveling White House press pack when Bill Clinton was president out of Washington, and I can tell you the Secret Service are very, very thorough, and you know, they know what is going on on every sort of vantage point that has an open line of sight at where their protectee is going to be speaking, appearing, and walking. So you know, we don't know. I mean, Rowan, you used the phrase conspiracy theories there before. Obviously a lot of people are going to be coming up with a lot of crazy ideas. But you know, as this this will feed into other concerns, not just about the rhetoric around political violence. Of The Federalist website in the United States, which is a prominent conservative website, says that sources within the Trump campaign have told them that they have been concerned about the level of security they've been able to achieve from the Secret Service or some time. So we'll find out if those reports bear fruit. But you know, this here could have been an unbelievable tragedy. Obviously, it's a tragedy for the rally attendee who was killed in his family. And let's not forget that there is somebody apparently a rally attendee who died, and that's a real tragedy. But you know, this bullet could have been inches from the president's skull and the former president's skull, and that is just you know, the consequences of that, too American Democrat see in our future are just they're too horrible to think about.
Speaker 3: Well, joining us now is another Sky News host, Paul Murray. Great to have you here. Paul, of course has interviewed Donald Trump. Paul, you woke up this morning to the reactions. I know you feared it. I've feared it, We've all feared it for a long time. An assassination attempt on Donald Trump. Paul, what's your reaction to this morning?
Speaker 15: Yeah, Gay Rowan, well done on the coverage to you and everyone has been putting it together this morning. It is exactly what we're all afraid of. And also, in terms of high risk, you don't have to be a security expert to work out that he's not speaking with any sort of protective glass around him. He's there in front of forty thousand people today, forty thousand people tomorrow, twenty thousand people the.
Speaker 7: Next day, So he's been in this situation that you.
Speaker 15: Would imagine that the security bubble around him is very well practiced. We obviously saw that with the people who physically made it to the stage. But as you're talking about about that outer ring of protection, certainly Maga world on the internet is making all sorts of claims about official attempts by the Trump campaign or the Secret Service running with Trump that they wanted even more detail, more of it beefed up, but apparently that had been knocked back. We'll all see what happens in the next couple of days about that. I also agree with what Annele said, and I know that there's sort of a little echo effect that happens here where people are going to start sending back the headlines of how other media organizations covered it. Yes, there are people that have been afraid of this moment, who cared for the president, hope for his adventure return to the presidency, but there were also those who had feared that something like this would happen and make him a martyr, and they were the ones who have. Of course, in my view, as James has been saying as well as yourself in Caroline today, is that the rhetoric in and around this presidential election is a disgrace. For all of the condemnation of the language of Trump, what about the language of Biden and every Democrat who says that the democracy is on the line and there'll be no country if Trump ends up.
Speaker 7: Winning the election.
Speaker 15: So the motivation of somebody to think that they were doing a good and holy thing here is part of the mix.
Speaker 7: Obviously, we don't know who the.
Speaker 15: Shooter is and what the reason for doing it is, but if you want to look at a whole series of behaviors that have led to this moment, it is about endless people, over endless years trying to pretend to this blow was everything from the Devil to Hitler and then something new and worse. And would it be any surprise that somebody would try to try to take that out and like everyone else, thank goodness that didn't happen. But I mean, literally, it's millimeters millimeter's difference between what story we're talking about, this morning, but in either direction, we'll all be feeling like this for a little while to come.
Speaker 3: Paul, We're going to quick the go and have a look at another eyewitness interviews. So just have a listen to this day with us, Paul Murray, let's have a listen to this eyewitness interview.
Speaker 19: You were inside, What exactly did you hear and what did you see?
Speaker 27: So we heard something that sounded like a firecracker, and we turned around and there was people behind us, and it was two of our guys, I think in cam we uniform, shooting back. And then we seen a guy inside the crowd here, probably fifteen away from.
Speaker 3: Us, get shot.
Speaker 27: They said there was a casually and he was then and somebody else got shot. And then apparently our guys were shooting on top of the building and everybody started cheering once they got to the shooter.
Speaker 3: You can see them up on top of the building there.
Speaker 19: Okay, So when this was all happening, because now when you play it back, you can, you know, kind of figure it out and make it more succinct. But when this was happening, did you know where these possible shots were coming from?
Speaker 27: I mean, I can see the guys literally Well, the shots that we heard at the time, we thought it was somebody. We've seen turned around, We've seen smoke literally coming out of the barrel of the guys behind it. It was the time we thought they were coming at us, but it happened to be our guys shooting back at him. So everybody was freaking out, thinking we were gonna get shot by the people right behind us, but they were actually protecting us, shooting the shooter.
Speaker 19: And where was the shooter course to what you're seeing and when you were there here.
Speaker 27: And our shooters up to our left, probably I don't know, forty feet away or so, up on top of that building or whatever it was.
Speaker 19: But the possible shooter, whoever possibly fired.
Speaker 27: Up, got shot. I don't know if he had whatever. Somebody said he had the piss, so I'm not sure if that's sure or not. But somebody the crowd got shot from our guys or somebody I don't know, and he whatever.
Speaker 10: So it's a confusing situation.
Speaker 15: But.
Speaker 3: Extraordinary, Paul. We've had a tweet from JD. Vance, the senator who famously.
Speaker 2: Wrote Hillbilly Elergies.
Speaker 3: He's saying that the central premise of the Biden campaign is that President Donald Trump is an authoritarian fascist who must be stopped at all costs and JD Vance this is is saying that the rhetoric led directly to President Trump's attempted assassination. Paul, you famously met Donald Trump. You interviewed him brilliantly there in the White House when he was president. You saw all the security levels. Does it surprise you listening to do those eyewitness accounts, particularly the BBC one of the character who said he saw the guy up on the building, crawling up the building, it sounds like something out of a bad movie, and alerted the police and alerted the secret security and nothing appeared to happen. This is all, as I say, just rumors and from the BBC interview, So he can't say whether it's how factual it is, but that he seemed to be a credible witness. What did you make of all that?
Speaker 7: Poor, Well, it's amazing, isn't it? Mate? Where you just like.
Speaker 15: Again the static bubble that is the White House for obvious reasons, You're able to reinforce it, find new ways to reinforce it. But when you're out and about and out and as exposed as he was here.
Speaker 7: Again.
Speaker 15: I just keep thinking back to and I'm sure this footage will pop up in the next couple of days.
Speaker 7: But there's the footage.
Speaker 15: You remember when Barack Obama won the presidency in two thousand and eight, he walked out into that park in Chicago and supposedly a million people were there. Well, when he spoke, he spoke with a glass box around him. When Trump spoke at official events again as the president, he adds, sort of this glass box around in Biden would do the same.
Speaker 7: But there's no such protection. Now.
Speaker 15: There's a certain level of automatic Secret Service protection because you're the president, because you're a former president.
Speaker 7: There's automatic protection because you're a candidate.
Speaker 15: But whether the difference between being the sitting president and the aspid president or the former president is that traveling bulletproof glass will all wait and see. Marjorie Taylor Green has been on television in the US saying that she's going to try as of Monday in the US to start to have a serious hearing into this conversation about we're requests made and we're requests denied. But that image that you're seeing right now, Donald Trump Junior, among many others that's the image. That's the image that is going to be interpreted. It's so maddening. And you know, you were on the Trump train before almost anyone else in the country, and you know that since twenty and fifteen, this guy has become this rawshack test and the people who don't like him lose their brain.
Speaker 7: And there were.
Speaker 15: People today who were watching and as I say, they had a different instinct to what happened than you and I did. Not because they were wishing ill, but just they thought this was the natural trajectory. People like Tucker Carlson, of course, have said that this was the only way things would stop. I know you mentioned that earlier in the program as well. But what I mean think about this period of time is that the eleventh of July was when he was supposed to be sentenced and potentially off to jail in New York. That was put off because of the Supreme Court decision around presidential immunity. In the next couple of days, the Republican Convention, now the Republican Convention, supposedly the biggest and most interesting part of it was going to be.
Speaker 7: Who was going to be the vice president?
Speaker 15: J D. E. Vance, The Ohio Senator, one of the many on the short list. Well, now, of course it's all about seeing Trump for the first time. After a moment like this, So American politics as we know sort of it really goes from sort of obsessing about one side to obsessing about another. And I've heard a lot of conversation on this morning, and rightly so on the program, about well, what does it mean.
Speaker 7: For the politics all the rest of it.
Speaker 15: Well, you know, he were tope, but even people who hate Donald Trump rally to the humanity of what had happened here.
Speaker 7: I agree with James in.
Speaker 15: Particular about his reaction to the Biden statement, which I thought was pretty weak. It didn't have any sense of gravitus to it, and it seemed to be something that automatically he went back into his muscle memory, which was to say all those stupid things that you say about Trump as a way of trying to scare people into to.
Speaker 7: Bringing out the vote.
Speaker 15: But of course going into all of this was more popular in the polls. You've got to imagine that a rallying effect of Americans.
Speaker 7: Comes to his aid.
Speaker 15: But that image, that idea that if you are or anybody else, or in fact you know, ninety nine percent of everyone watching right now that something like that had happened, You're adrenaline would send you into some sort of confusion and a slight cower. The idea that he's adrenaline turned into fight, fight, fight, and literally he's resisting the moves of the Secret Service. It gives you an idea about that internal fight. De man has something that's obvious, whether you calmly talk to him at the White House, or whether we see it in a potential tragedy today, or we see it in a court room, or we see it anywhere. I just think, you know, the internal spirit of this bloke is so obvious, and you know, well, there'll be people watching our conversation trying to misinterpret it about what does it mean politically. The reality is that everything at this time in the cycle becomes political and becomes interpreted as politic. It was fascinating to see how, again, if these sorts of things had happened to a different political figure, some figures in the media would be much more dramatic or mournful in their language. But because it's Trump, they're going to take a couple of hours to get to that.
Speaker 3: Well, Paul I'm only half joking. I'm only half joking. But maybe Joe Biden's statement was a bit weak because he was still trying to figure out who'd been shot. But anyway, as I say, great to chat to you, Paul Murray, thanks so much for coming here on Outsiders.
Speaker 5: James, Well, this is just extraordinary.
Speaker 4: Paul has interviewed Donald Trump in the White House, so he knows, you know, about the personality. There is now talk that Donald Trump was due to attend a UFC match in Denver. There is no speculation that some sources are now saying that he is actually going to.
Speaker 5: Attend that rally.
Speaker 4: Right if he does, I mean, you can only imagine how absolutely crazy the crowd is going.
Speaker 5: To have tickets for that. Lucky because you know.
Speaker 4: Of Trump and the UFC community are really really very close. He goes to these these events all the time and the crowd goes nuts. We've got this convention coming up, of course, and this is now going to be I think the entire theme of this campaign is now going to be summed up in one word that is defiance. And I think that defiance is going to be what this is all about. And I think that for everybody out there, you know, on the fence about which way they're going to go. I think that this is just you know, underlines. I think the support that Donald Trump is going to get because we have now seen this is the you know, nearly the endpoint of this whole attempt to demonize, dehumanize, destroy this man his family for the crime in the left's mind of entering politics, not just staying as an entertaining reality TV star and proper developer, but entering into politics, blowing up the system, taking on Hillary Clinton winning in twenty sixteen, which is the thing that you know, the left will never get over their brain broke seven and a half years ago when that happened, and the trauma and the insanity on the left plays out in so many ways. And we don't know again yet who was responsible for this alleged assassination attempt, but you know, it could very well be that this is part of that same derangement. We talk about Trump derangement syndrome all the time as kind of a joke, you know, sometimes, oh that person's got TDS Trump arrangement syndrome, But you know, this could actually be quite a much more serious case of it.
Speaker 8: This could be the very manifestation, correct TDS. I mean you talk about defiance James, And we've had a statement that's come out from Donald Trump Junior, who put mention a few minutes ago, and it just sums up how Trump is, how his father is doing now. It said, I just spoke to my father on the phone, and he is in great spirits. He will never stop fighting to save America no matter what the radical left throws at him.
Speaker 16: So it gives you an insight into how.
Speaker 8: They're already I want to say, spinning this, but it's not spin by all accounts. Is how they're going to be framing this, that he is, that he's a martyr out of this, that he was attacked because of this radical left derangement and he is not going to take it lying down. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him at that UFC fight Adams.
Speaker 3: That would be amazing. Well you'll find out here on sky. No worries about that. But let's have a look at James has repeatedly referred to the kind of lukewarm Joe Biden's statement. I'm surprised he even managed to get to the podium.
Speaker 5: But anyway.
Speaker 3: That's my personal opinion. But let's have a listen to that statement. You can decide for yourselves whether President Joe Biden's response to the attempted assassination of Donald Trump was suitably presidential.
Speaker 24: I try to get a hold of Donald. He's with his doctors. They apparently he's just doing well. I plan on talking them shortly. I hope when I get back to the telephone book. There's no place in America for this kind of violence.
Speaker 7: It's sick.
Speaker 13: It's sick.
Speaker 24: It's one of the reason why we have to unite this country. We cannot allow for this to be happening. We cannot be like this. We cannot condone this. And so I want to thank the Secret Service and all the agency, including the state agencies that have been engaged in making sure that people and we have more detail to come relative to other injured, other people may be injured in the audience. I don't have all that detail. Will make that available to you. I may be able to come back a little later tonight, but we'll put out a statement if we don't, if I'm not able to get it, for if it's not convenient for you all. But the bottom line is that the Trump rally is a rally that he should have been able to be conducted peacefully without any problem. But the idea, the idea that there's political violence or violence in America like this, it's just unpard of. It's just not appropriate, and everybody, everybody must condemn it, everybody. I'll keep you informed, and if I am able to speak to the to Donald, I'll let you know that as well. So far it appears he's doing well. Number one. Number two, that there's thoroughly investigating what happened to anyone else in the audience. I have, we have some reports, but not final reports, and every agency in the federal government, and I'm going back to my phone to speak with the federal agencies that are being put to being put together again to give me an updated Breefe as anything happened. They're learning more in the last couple of hours. So thank you very much, and I hope I get to speak to Note and I'll get you back to you if I do.
Speaker 5: President, do you think it was an assassination attempt?
Speaker 24: I don't know enough to have an opinion, but I don't have any facts, so I want to make sure we have all the facts before I make some comment.
Speaker 3: Anymore comments thank you, I don't know enough seems to sum up Joe Biden's presidency in my opinion, Caroline, we have had a response from Donald Trumps.
Speaker 8: The man himself has posted it looks on truth social getting reposted everywhere obviously, and he says that it was.
Speaker 16: A bullet that clipped him on the ear.
Speaker 8: There had been some speculation about that, so he said in his post, I want to thank the United States Secret Service and all of law enforcement for their rapid response on the shooting that just took place in Butler, Pennsylvania. Most importantly, I want to extend my condolences to the family of the person at the rally who was killed, and also to the family of another person that was badly injured.
Speaker 11: It is incredible that such.
Speaker 8: An act can take place in our country. Nothing is known at this time about the.
Speaker 16: Shooter, who is now dead.
Speaker 8: I was shot with a bullet that pierced the upper part of my right ear. I knew immediately that something was wrong in that I heard a whizzing sound shots and immediately felt the bullet ripping through the skin. Much bleeding took place, so I realized then what was happening. God bless America.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: Well, I've said before with somebody up there like Donald Trump, because that is extraordinary. If there was a shooter on the roof just clipped his ear just as Donald Trump turned his head to the right. We saw the footage. That is unbelievable and extraordinary. Let's go to Keith Pitt's Nationals MP. Keith, you've woken up. You were going to come on outside this morning to talk about other things, but I think this is all we will talk about. Keith, what is your reaction to the attempted assassination of former president and presidential candidate Donald Trump.
Speaker 28: I think, like every Australian, I was shocked by the footage and the events that have occurred in the United States today and what's clearly an assassination attempt on former President Trump, and my thoughts go to those innocent bystanders. The reports are that someone's lost their life simply because they've attended a political rally to support the candidate of their choice. And don't forget, I mean, we're only two years since the world lost former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to an assassin's board, so It's just incredible scenes.
Speaker 13: And I think for those.
Speaker 28: Of us in public life in Australia, we have to be even more deliberate now in our remarks. We have to be incredibly cautious that we don't say something unintentionally or intentionally that would inflame tensions in this country that were in flame hatred in this country. And I don't want to see us go down this path. But what an incredible series of events in America today.
Speaker 2: What do you think Keith will due to the.
Speaker 3: Ongoing campaign, the presidential campaign there, do you think it will ramp up the hatred or do you think people Americans, more sober Americans might go, wow, we've really got to calm down this rhetoric and we've got to get back to a more sensible level of less of the hysteria.
Speaker 28: Well, I hope they return to policy and they make it a debate, a round policy.
Speaker 13: To be honest, I think that's unlikely.
Speaker 28: But what I do expect is I think Trump will actually increase the number of public events that he does, and a bit like Chris Kenny. I mean, we've already seen what will be iconic images from this morning, you know, the flag and the sky and fist raised. But the one that stood out to me is the Secret Service shoulder of the arms around one another in a hurdle to protect the principle. And it's just an extraordinary, remarkable thing for an individual to do. And yet Donald Trump's come away relatively unscathed. I think he'll do more public rallies. I think it's likely he'll get even greater support across America.
Speaker 13: But for me, my concern has.
Speaker 28: Always been about Australia and we've seen escalation and incidents in recent weeks and months.
Speaker 13: You've got a Prime Minister who can't.
Speaker 28: Get to his electorate office because of Palestinian protesters. We've had Palestinian protesters with backpackers, breached security at Australia's Parliament House, very large rallies again in Queensland, and I just think.
Speaker 13: We've got to take the heat out of that debate.
Speaker 28: We don't want to see these incidents occur in Australia and as someone in public life, that's part of my job.
Speaker 8: Caroline Keith, I mean, how will this impact politicians around the world. I mean, this is the first assassination attempt on US soil we've seen for years now is that going to change how politicians and how our leaders in Australia operate as well?
Speaker 11: Do you think.
Speaker 28: We've already seen security upgrades and increased warnings for us in this country.
Speaker 13: I just find that incredibly sad.
Speaker 28: I think one of the great things about Australias democracy is the ability for its MPs and its senators to actually mix with the Australian people. I mean, most of us are at events that are well publicized. People know where we are. It's one of the great things about our job. Anyone can come and tell you how bad you're doing. Occasionally they tell you you're going all right.
Speaker 13: But it is concerning.
Speaker 28: We've seen stabbings in the UK, for example, for members of parliament. We've now seen an assassination tempt on a former president in the United States and of course the Republican candidate, and no one wants to see that here. And I just say to everyone that's making public comments, make sure that you keep those in line with what you want to see our nation look like into the future. And I want it to be as it always has been, a place of peace, a place where you can have an argument, you can disagree, but you walk away without this absolute rhetoric and one eyed view which ultimately results in these types of incidents.
Speaker 3: Keith Pitt, Nationals MP for Queensland. There, thanks so much for coming on outside, as it's always great to have you on. Well, Donald Trump, you know this show Outside has began with Donald Trump the night he was elected. That's why this show exists. This assassination attempt is something we have all feared and dreaded for so many years. The vile hatred of Donald Trump, which seems to go Caroline referred to Trump derangement syndrome. This hatred of Donald Trump, this demonizing of him, which is not exclusive to America, by the way, it happens here in Australia by people who should know better, and around the world it happens. An assassination attempt on Donald Trump was the end result of that demonization. And this. If you tell enough people enough times that the potential next president is an evil Hitler esque type figure who's going to destroy their democracy, it's hardly surprising that at some point someone takes matters into their own hand. We don't know the full story, we don't know who the shooter is. We know he's dead, We've heard extraordinary reports this morning from the BBC and Fox and other places, people who were there. That will be poured over by many people in the hours to come. There are reports that Donald Trump may may reappear sooner than we are. He may be out of that hospital, and that will be a momentous event. James and Caroline, what a morning to be here and outside.
Speaker 4: As James, I just think that this is extraordinary and extraordinarily sad.
Speaker 5: We've got some statements from the Secret Service here.
Speaker 3: I think let's have let's go to that that is awfully small there. I think, Ala, sorry, there is a statement from the Secret Service, but this is live and we can't read it.
Speaker 11: That is very small text.
Speaker 3: So we're going we can't read that for you. But Kieran Gilbert, who's coming on.
Speaker 5: In a second.
Speaker 8: I've got is that during former President Trump's campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, on the evening of July thirteenth, at approximately six fifteen PM, a suspected shooter fired multiple shots toward the stage from an elevated position.
Speaker 16: Outside of the rally venue.
Speaker 8: US Secret Service personnel neutralized the shooter, who has now deceased. US Secret Service quickly responded with protective measures, and the former president is safe and is being evaluated. One spectator was killed, two spectators were critically injured. The incident is currently under investigation, and the Secret Service has formally notified the Federal Bureau of Investigations the FBI, so that that report from the art witness we saw outside the venue seems to have some crop.
Speaker 5: There we go.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Caroline, and let's go now to Fox News. You stay here, watch throughout the day here on Sky Fox News, and then we'll be talking to Kieren Gilbert later on. You will carry all the coverage through the rest of the day.
Speaker 2: Thanks and welcome to Hannity.
Speaker 29: And this is a Fox News alert today, the former president of the United States, Donald J. Trump, was the target of an apparent assassination attempt. One innocent attendee is now dead. President Trump, we are told, is alive and well and now in a safe location. The shooter, meanwhile, has been killed by US Secret Service. And just breaking moments ago, President Trump's first reaction on truth social quote, I want to thank the US Secret Service and all of law enforcement for their rapid response on the shooting that just took place. In Butler, Pennsylvania. Most importantly, I want to extend my condolences to the family of the person at the rally who was killed, and also to the family of another person that was badly injured. It is incredible that such an act can take place in our country. Nothing is known at this time about the shooter, who is now dead. He said, I was shot with a bullet that pierced the upper part of my right ear. I knew immediately that something was wrong in that I heard a whizzing sound shots and immediately felt the bullet ripping through the skin. Much bleeding took place, so I realized then what was happening. God bless America. According to the Secret Service Tonight quote, during former President Trump's campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, on the evening of July thirteenth, at approximately six to fifteen pm, a suspected shooter fired multiple shots towards the stage from an elevated position outside of the rally venue. US Secret Service personnel neutralized the shooter, who has now deceased.
Speaker 2: US Secret Service quickly.
Speaker 29: Responded with protective measures, and former President Trump is safe. One spectator was killed, two spectators were critically injured. This incident is currently under investigation. The Secret Service has notified the FBI, and in case you missed it, here's what went down just a few hours ago. Show Take a listen, take a look, take a look at what happened.
Speaker 10: Up the spirit are home?
Speaker 14: What are you ready?
Speaker 27: On?
Speaker 14: You ready?
Speaker 25: How has here ready?
Speaker 20: Are you ready?
Speaker 15: Good?
Speaker 3: Shot down?
Speaker 14: Shoot her down.
Speaker 10: I'll be good to know.
Speaker 21: We're talk Come up.
Speaker 5: Let me get my shoe, Let me get my shoes. I got you, so, let me get my shoes.
Speaker 26: Hold on your head, bloody so we gotta give me to clus Let me.
Speaker 11: Get okay, sell I'll tell you
Speaker 21: Gonna h