Speaker 1: Hi, welcome back to Bounce Forward with me, tip Haul. I'd like to acknowledge the traditional custodience of the land on which I'm recording this podcast, the Warundr people of the cooler nation.
Speaker 2: I pay my respects to elders past and present. Rowena messaged me.
Speaker 1: She said, Hi, Tif, I'm writing from Stockholm, Sweden. I'm a forty one year old ozzie mum of two nearly three and one. I've been a member of TIGS for six years now, but have not prioritized my fitness during baby growing and raising. Baby growing and raising it gets us all. I have a question for your podcast. So many of your workouts use lightweights. What qualifies as strength training though not just feeling the burn. This is such an excellent question because I am surrounded by people always saying I felt the burn, I feel the burn, pilates burn, and then I'm not getting results. I'm not growing muscle, not seeing results in tone or sculpting. And it's a mishmash because the fitness industry they'll say, you know, this method will sculpt and tone and build muscle, but they're all different things.
Speaker 2: So the fitness.
Speaker 1: Industry is trying to say, and you'll lose weight, and you'll tone up, and you'll build muscle.
Speaker 2: But they're three very different things.
Speaker 1: So I'm always asked, say, what's the difference between feeling the burning pilates using lightweights or in my Fighter two point zero program where we use zero point five kilos or one kilo weights versus strength training anything over I'd say eight kilos dumbbells.
Speaker 2: It's all resistance, right, but.
Speaker 1: Lightweight stuff where you fatigue muscles, saying boxing drills with dumbbells, like straight punches with dumbbells, pilates with ankle weights where you're doing something for the glutes or wristweights.
Speaker 2: On your hands.
Speaker 1: I definitely feel the burn of the muscle, but that burn is endurance, not hapertrophy or strength. So you will be elevating your fitness and your conditioning and definitely burning fat stores and you will be toning up, but you won't be growing lean muscle mass.
Speaker 2: Muscle.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is the foundation of youth, and we really want to make sure as we age we are focused on putting as much lean muscle as humanly possible on through progressive overloads. So progressive overload is very important. So strength training is primarily increasing muscular strength and size, while conditioning is focused on improving cardiovascular endurance and overall physical stamina. They're two very different things, and feeling the burn is that endurance, that conditioning that cardiovascular endurance as well, and that stamina, whereas the strength training is that progressive overload. Strength training is anaerobic. It focuses on short bursts of high intensity, whereas that condition conditioning is often aerobic.
Speaker 2: So you know in Polates in my.
Speaker 1: Fighter workouts, it's definitely an aerobic workout. You're sustaining effort over a long period of time. The success of strength training is measured from you know, how much weight you can lift, the volume of weights that you're lifting, and how that builds over time, whereas conditioning it's more endurance. How long can you go the duration of the activity, and how fast can you recover. Okay, that's a really important point. Strength training sessions may include longer rest periods between sets so that you're recovering better and you can put your max effort into each set, whereas conditioning generally there's shorter rest periods, or you might even do active recovery, which I make you do in Fighter two point zero where you're doing star jumps or something to recover between conditioning drills and boxing combos and things, and the heart rate is consistently elevated. So for me, I like to train by combining both things. I like to feel the burn and having have some progressive overload that insures that I am building lean muscle mass. And if you do that, it's more of an athletic mindset. You're integrating strength training and you're improving power and conditioning workouts, and you're ensuring that your performance is both like really sports specific and it's also really helping you have an overall really strong fitness game. I really like to mix it up, and especially do this on tso I make sure that I mix boxing Fighter two point zero with our strength programs like inn par Ex Mumbod and it's just a beautiful mix that gets you super fit and you'll be toning up, burning fat, but you're also building that lean muscle.
Speaker 2: But you can't really do it all in the one session, right.
Speaker 1: These programs are four to twelve weeks each program, so it's like you'll concentrate a bit on Fighter and then you'll go into a twelve week strength program kind of thing. So hypertrophy and strength training, then, is another question that I get asked a lot. What is the difference between those. Well, strength training is to increase the maximum force of muscle or muscle group that it can be exerted in one effort, right, It focuses on your overall strength and power. So you're going to lift really heavy weights at a lower volume, so one to six reps per set, You're going to have longer rest periods between them. You're going to use compound movements that engage multiple muscle groups like squats, deadlifts, bench presses, and the outcome is all about those neural adaptations and changes in the nervous system that enable you to lift heavy weights each week. It's really important, and it's less pronounced than compared to hypertrophy training. Now, the hypertrophy training is all about maximizing muscle growth, whereas strength training you might not see the muscle get bigger, but you're getting stronger and you're getting that power. Hyperchaphy training particularly is all about the growth and the size of the muscle fibers, so you're lifting more moderately heavy weights, higher rep ranges like eight to twelve reps per set. The rest periods are shorter, your exercise selection is more on isolated exercises, so you're looking more at bicep curls and leg extensions that target specific muscles which are really important, and you're wanting to get those adaptations in the muscle fibers themselves, so you're getting really thick muscle fibers and seeing that there's growth there. So the key difference is is that strength training focuses on increasing the ability to produce force an involves more neurological adaptations, whereas hypertrophy training is more increasing muscle mass and focusing on metabolic and muscular adaptations. So they're both very different things, and again combining both is going to get you the best outcome. So you know, working with those low rep ranges like going super heavy for six reps and then doing the high rep ranges where you're moderately heavy for twelve reps, changing up your programs every now and then, you know it's all good and so there's nothing wrong with feeling the burn. It's really great, but make sure you're balancing it out with one or two strength sessions a week where you are lifting those heavier weights and looking to increase the lean muscle mass.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for listening to Bounce for It.
Speaker 1: I love having your company, so please dm me on Instagram at Tifhall Underscore XO and let me know what question you'd love me to cover. Don't forget to rate and review me on your podcast out Speak soon.
Speaker 2: Happy days,