Speaker 1: Welcome to the Friends with Money podcast, brought to you by Money Magazine, creating financial freedom for Australians since nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Friends with Money podcast. My name's Vanessa Walker. I'm the managing editor of Money and I'm here talking to our Super columnist Vita Palaestrand. Welcome, Vita.
Speaker 3: It's great to be here.
Speaker 2: It's great to have you. Now we're going to delve into the five top mistakes that people make with regards to their SUPER. I think you've got a lot of information on it, yes.
Speaker 3: Well, the biggest one, without any doubt, is that people are disengaged for whatever reason. They regard SUPER as a very boring topic which they can attend to sometime as they reach retirement. If you had said to them right at the start, this is your investment portfolio and eleven and a half percent of your salaries going into it, they'd probably pay more attention. But disengagement throughout the two to three four decades that you're in SUPER is just a lost opportunity.
Speaker 2: I agree. I think people should think about SUPER as their investment. It's exactly what it is. Yep, that's precisely what it is. It's tax advantaged, there's good regulation around it.
Speaker 3: What could be better, And it's automatic. It's automatic, your employer puts it in there. The default fund, which people land up in because they don't bother to choose a specific investment option, is very well regulated. Funds that don't perform have to pull up their socks, and if they don't do that, they have to merge with another fund or just stop offering the product. Yeah, so it's safe. It's very So it's safe.
Speaker 2: All right, we jump the guard because people have been chatting about it for half an hour beforehand.
Speaker 3: But here we go.
Speaker 2: Let's start at the top, right, Vita, why pay attention to your super early.
Speaker 3: It's locked in for four decades.
Speaker 2: You can't access it until around sixty five, Yes, sixty.
Speaker 3: Well, by doing that, you only ensure that you're in the right fund, of a high performing fund, and that will pay off. Don't forget when you've got higher returns building up over higher returns, over higher returns, you've got all that compounding. It's the magic of compounding. It's doing a fabulous job for you. But also being engaged, you might find opportunities to put a bit more extra in to maximize that investment to ensure it grows. You know, people when they look back when they reach their point of retirement, people who paid attention don't regret it. Yes, people who failed to do that regret it. Yes. By then it's all too late. There you are.
Speaker 2: So when you salary sacrifice, when you put extra money into your super before tax, you only pay fifteen percent within super.
Speaker 3: That's correct, it's taxed at fifteen percent, but there's another tax advantage by putting that extra in. It might take you down to a lower tax rate, so you get that kicker as well. So you've got money going in that's taxed only at fifteen percent working for you. It's up to you to ensure it's working as hard as possible. Now, when you say why pay attention earlier?
Speaker 2: Do you say somebody starts getting their superannuation around eighteen when they got their first full time job. Should they be in a balanced fund or in a high growth fund? Do you have any advice around that?
Speaker 3: Well, Advisers will often say when when you're starting off in your career, you know markets will correct. If they fail, they'll correct, they'll bounce back, so you can be a bit more aggressive you could choose a growth fund or even a high growth fund and get better returns. You've got all that time ahead of you to be a little more aggressive and have your super fun growing more. You know it'll accelerate things. Yes, so playing the long game when you say the long game, but they have you know, you have to be engaged to do that once again. But unfortunately people think it's all very boring and they'll worry about it later.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a message to our readers, don't be those people. Be on it early and watch it, and you watch it grow. It's compounding interest.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and come retirement you'll be grateful for being able to enjoy your retirement instead of worrying where the next penny's coming from. Now, why are the numbers so important? Take us through that. Okay, let's look at contributions. Your employer has to put eleven and a half percent of salary in come July. I'll go up to twelve. If you put a little bit in, just a little bit, it doesn't have to be terribly much. That will compound. In fact, putting in a little bit at the beginning of your work, you know your work life will have more impact than panicking right at the end and looking scratching around to put more money in, And then you have to be you have to be aware that if you put more money in, you're allowed to put in at currently sety thousand a year concessionally tacked super Now you have to take your employer's contribution, that's compulsory contribution into account. You can't go over that cap. So it has to be what you know minus what your employer has contributed, so you don't go over the cap.
Speaker 2: Why do you need to do checks on your existing super fun beforehand?
Speaker 3: You want to make sure you're in the right type of fund. How has it performed sort of? Has it been good at long term performance? Is it good in terms of service? We've got this huge cohort of boomers retiring and funds aren't well set up to service them. It's one thing when money's going in, but when they need to draw money out, it's a whole other matter. So how good is your fund in terms of even just service, not only performance, but service becomes very critical as well.
Speaker 2: Very good point. Yeah, on the homepage of every super fund, I'll have their performance. When't they over one, three, five and ten years? Is that correct, they do.
Speaker 3: This is another thing where engagement really matters. You know, how many people actually look at the tools and the help on their super fun They've got terrific app you know, even talk to them if you want to know how much you can contribute, phone them, ask them so that you don't exceed the cap. Ask them to explain what kind of fund you in. You know, how much exposure does it have to growth assets? You know, what what are they invested in? You can also look that up on their web pages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's all simple. I see now with my own find it's all pie charts and graphs me to understand what they're investing. That's right, my money, and that's right.
Speaker 3: And quite often now they required to actually is list the actual investments that they investing in. You know, it's one thing just that giving you the asset allocation. It's quite another pinpointing the actual companies they invested in, or bonds or whatever it may be your property.
Speaker 2: That's when it gets deeply interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there's no excuse to be disengaged because it's easy to be engaged.
Speaker 3: It's it's very easy to be engaged. I think you know, it's just that people think retirement is so far off, why bother? And it's all hunky dory because it's happening automatically.
Speaker 2: All right, So this isn't the kind of realm of fauxoh, fear of missing out and all those other acronyms that we know these days. Is it normal to worry about risks?
Speaker 3: It is after having been complacent, as the retirement deadline looms, people start to panic somewhat. And that's not ideal, you know, leaving it to then that's why at least ten years out, all right? Know what you're doing? What happens the day you retire? How do you roll your money over into an account based pension or whatever it is? There is no default fund in pension phase. You've got to choose, ah, all right, So you know, and do you want to be in that fund? Maybe the fund doesn't have a retirement product. Some funds, if you've got too lower balance, won't let you roll over into a retirement mode, will make you stay in accumulation. Yeah, some have minimums of up to fifty thousand, so you being.
Speaker 2: Taxed, Oh my goodness, all right.
Speaker 3: Those earnings will be taxed. So you know, people, they're the tiny little aspects that you have to become aware of. And when you do, you start you start educating yourself about the questions. You need to ask.
Speaker 2: What strategies can you use to mitigate the fallout if you haven't done the right thing? That sounds judgmental, I don't mean that if ten years out you haven't got enough money and you're super fun the kind of retirement that you want to have, what can you do?
Speaker 3: Well, Look, you know quite often people are coming into money because of inheritance, so look at that seriously. You know, could you can you put money in? The kids might want it, but then you know you've got they've got their whole life ahead of them. Given enough to the kids, have a look at making contributions then. And there's also something called a dance sizer contribution where you might be in the lead up to retirement and you want a smaller place and you might have cash left over and put it into your super But then again you've got to be aware of the caps the limits that you can place in, so you know, speak to your fund about it. The other thing is super funds have seminars that you can watch online or they might invite people over two physical ones. It's worth taking them up on that sort of thing. It really comes down to knowing what you're doing.
Speaker 2: As with everything, knowledge is power and that gives you choice.
Speaker 3: That gives you choice.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for joining us, Veta. It has been wonderful. I've learned something as well. It is always good. Thank you for joining us this week on Friends with Money, and we'll be back next week.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Friends with Money podcast. For credible, independent and easy to understand financial commentary, visit moneymag dot com dot au. Please remember that the views and opinions expressed in this podcast are general in nature and further independent advice and research based on your personal circumstances should be sought before making an investment decision