Speaker 1: Appogie Production. Hi, my name's beck Woodbine and welcome to Tenderness for Nurses. Do you need to burn out to have those insights?
Speaker 2: While I'm talking about it now? But you know, came to educate the world about it.
Speaker 1: But I didn't want anyone to know that I was so unwell. I don't know when it was ever okay to yell or scream or abuse somebody. We need to have support and know where to look for support, and know how to look after ourselves, not just professionally, but personally as well. It was quite profound and I learned a lot from that one action. Welcome everyone to the podcast. I'm a nurse practitioner with over thirty five years of nursing experience, and in twenty sixteen, I became a nurse practitioner in the cosmetic dematology space. I own a clinical Perfectly Smooth where skin conditions focusing on acne, rosasia, pigmentation, and I also perform cosmetic injectibles at an advanced level with another doctor and another registered nurse. The reason why I'm doing the podcast is a little bit complex, and at this stage I'll share some things and probably as we progress through the podcast, I'll feel a little bit more comfortable to share more. But a few years ago I started to develop very bad anxiety, burnout, and major depression, and I didn't deal with it very well.
Speaker 2: At the time.
Speaker 1: I had a lot of things in my life go on and within the business, you know, COVID daughter leaving, I'd hurt my back, had surgery that didn't go great. I had a brief marriage breakdown which we worked through. I just found I didn't take care of myself and I felt that as a nurse there wasn't a lot of support for me either. I found it one stage I was starting to drink too much, and I stopped drinking, and then I suppose my depression became worse and worse and worse. Hence why the Teninnists for Nurses with the dog Lola came into my life when I was actually really sick and has been a wonderful assistance dog. So I decided that we as nurses and healthcare professionals need to care for each other a little bit more.
Speaker 2: We need to.
Speaker 1: Have support and know where to look for support, and know how to look after ourselves, not just professionally, but personally as well. And I decided that we needed a podcast called Tennis for Nurses. Each week, I'm going to be speaking with someone related to health or just someone of interest that can help us develop as nurses develop as a profession and develop personally. There are times I'm going to be quite vulnerable, and there are times I'm going to find things really difficult to talk about. But I'm not going to shy away from the fact that I've had psychiatric problems and I hate the term psychiatric.
Speaker 2: It actually sends shivers through me.
Speaker 1: And how sad is it that in this day and age you say a word like that and it still has all these connotations. I think if I had had a little bit more support in going through what I had been through, things mightn't have got as bad as it did when things were really bad.
Speaker 2: If I had had.
Speaker 1: Some professional support around what I was going through, I think the outcome may have been a little different. But down the track we'll chat about that. So, as part of my recovery, I had TMS, which is transmagnetic cranial sequencing, which at some stage we will talk about with some professionals in that area. And I was reading through the information and the word psychiatric came up on the information sheet and I had a visceral response to it. Oh my god, you know I've got a psychiatric disorder me as a nurse, being empathetic working in the healthcare space. If I have a response like that to a psychiatric concern, what do the general public think? And I think it has these really old connotations about mental health institutions and crazy women or housewives that can't co people on meth or homelessness. And I hate the fact that I felt that way because so many people go through, at some stage or another in their life some form of psychiatric illness, whether that be anxiety, depression, major depression PTSD. There are now areas and once again we will be talking about this psychological safety, moral injury. It is so all encompassing in our day to day life and with social media and with expectations and the lifestyles we all live.
Speaker 2: And here I.
Speaker 1: Am, as a nurse practitioner, quaking at the term psychiatric. I think we need to address some of that and take away the shame that is around that, and I do.
Speaker 2: I can't help it.
Speaker 1: I feel shame that I wasn't strong enough to cope with issues that were in front of me. But then you know what they say, how much can a koala bear? You know, when you have so much stuff going on at once and you don't look after yourself, there's always going to be a breaking point for people, and I reached mine.
Speaker 2: A few years ago. I just have this really.
Speaker 1: Strong need to not share all my experiences, although probably will, but just to help other nurses navigate what's going on out there, navigate pra navigate the nursing MIDWI reboard, navigate legislation, mental health, their own personal health, good diet, sleep, moral injury. That has absolutely taken me by storm trying to understand that concept, which I think affects all health practitioners. I'm hoping that this podcast is going to be really positive for other nurses in showing them avenues.
Speaker 2: Of how to look after themselves.
Speaker 1: Or if they are in trouble, where they can go who they can see that there are people out there that absolutely have their back. I really want to see the nursing profession step up and help each other. You know, historically there has been vertical and horizontal violence in nursing. You know, I went through this, So therefore, if they're going to be a good nurse.
Speaker 2: They've got to go.
Speaker 1: Through what I went through. I disagree with that. I just think we all need to start sticking up for each other a little bit more and stepping into our professionalism. I really believe that nurses are a huge independent entity in the healthcare space. We have one of the largest workforces in the country, and we have a lot to offer research wise, healthcare wise, our knowledge, and I just feel like Tenderness for Nurses is going to incorporate all of that. I'm hoping I'm going to learn a heap of amazing things and speak to some amazing people. We will be talking about ethics and boundaries. I think that's a very important thing in this day and age. We're going to be talking about drug and alcohol and if you are having problems with drugs and alcohol, the pathway for nurses where we can go to seek help. We're going to be talking about workplace safety leadership. We're also going to be talking about other avenues nurses can go once they've done nursing.
Speaker 2: Like public health. We've got a professor.
Speaker 1: From America talking about health intelligence with public health and going down the intel space public health space. There's so many avenues in nursing, and we just need to start celebrating a little bit more, supporting each other and giving strength to our profession. We are about a vacating for nurses and their health, and also about how we treat each other and proudly speak about our profession and tenderness for nurses is about all of that. I really hope you all get something out of this. It's not going to be a blame podcast. It's purely going to be Yeah, there are issues. Let's work out ways that we can improve the profession because it's a profession to be proud of, and after thirty five years of nursing, I'm still really proud to be a nurse. I started nursing back in nineteen eighty eight. I was in eighty eight B at PA Hospital, and I've got to say I loved it. The old hospital there was amazing. We all worked super hard together, we partied hard, and we worked hard. However, there were parts of it that were exceptionally confronting, especially for a young country girl who was very, very innocent and had gone to boarding school. The first ward I was put on was M two, which was general medical. All the leftover patients went there. We would have people dying on that ward all the time. So at the age of seventeen, if you were looking after six beds or whatever that was in your area and someone passed away, you had to lay that body out, which means you had to prepare that body to be taken to the morgue. It's quite a confronting experience. It's funny because you developed little well, I did little routines and so back then, you know, you could open the windows at the LPA. I used to open a window to let the soul get out. I would always say a little prayer over the body. And it's funny because when I then worked at the mart Mums, every baby that was born would It's just a little routine I had. I would always say a prayer for that baby that came into the world. And then I then went worked in palliative care and once again, you know, say little prayer when the person passed away because we couldn't open up the windows, you know, and I just wanted that soul to be sent away in a good manner and very respectfully. So Nursing is one of those amazing professions where I always felt I was so privileged to be there at the beginning of life and so privileged to be at the end of life. I found it more traumatic nursing the prisoners at PA when I was very young and very naive, and the things that they in the prison guards used to say to us in the wards, very inappropriate to a young female and making lude comments in innuendo and coming up into bed with me, I'll let me patch your ass or I tried to avoid that as much as I could. I always preferred nursing women over men, nurse in a little uniform, and that was what it was like back in the day. It took eighteen months to become a registered nurse and I got my degree. It was still fairly new getting degrees in nursing, and I was very lucky I was still working in a nursing home and in hospitals as an enrolled nurse, paying my way through university in Timber. I then came down because I always loved the operating theaters when I was at PA, and got a postgraduate year at St. Andrew's Hospital, and not just doing you scrubbing and scouting, I also did anesthetics and recovery, which I loved. Within that space, I focused and specialized in eyes, plastics and women's health Guianian Fertility, which I really loved.
Speaker 2: So I then went.
Speaker 1: Across and worked at Queensland Fertility Group for a few years and did all areas there, so admissions, anesthetics, scrubbing, scouting and recovery. And then I had the kids. So during that time when I had the kids, I actually would work night duties for an agency or lates and I would go work at the different hospitals, doing like a four to nine, four to ten shift. My husband would come home I'd had him the kids, and I'd go off to work. I also did some aged care work and palliative care work at Winham Hospital. I then went back when the kids are a bit older and did a few years at the Marta Marta Mothers and worked in the theaters there and in the recovery and HDU there, which I really enjoyed it and loved. During that time, I started to notice there were some nurses that just worked so much harder they wouldn't sit down, but we all got paid the same. And that was when I started to look at starting my own business and I bought a little spray tanning business. Everyone was yellow orange and there was just one color. But it turned out to be the start of me working my way into the cosmetic dermatology arena. I realized that spray tanning day and day out was as boring as batshit, really, so I bought a laser machine and I had to write a business report for my husband and for the bank to show that I could make the income, because back then it was hugely expensive to buy a machine. And I started to teach myself skin. I went to every conference I could, and I really got into that dermatology space, doing lots and lots of pigmentation, hair removal, acnee roseasha, and people kept asking me about injectables and I really wasn't interested in doing that. I really liked treating skin. But things just progressed and it got to the stage where I was still doing two night duties a week palliative care and my business was really taking off. So I made the decision to stop and work full time in the business, which was terrifying because I just didn't have that extra income coming in every week. I set up the business perfectly smooth, and what fifteen sixteen years on it's still going strong. I have a doctor, another registered nurse. I have two demal therapists and some receptionists that work for me. It's a busy little practice and I specialize in advanced cosmetic procedures, roseatia, acne, lasers, pigmentation, and I do lots of dermal filler and I have also trained for galderma.
Speaker 2: I have taught at Torrens.
Speaker 1: University in the esthetic space. I have helped write the program for the UK for their diploma in injectables. And then I became unwell. I was burnt out, ended up with major depression, anxiety, and I had to take some time out. I was quite unwell. The aesthetic space I'm in it really is a little bit of doggy dog in that anyone that stands out, it's nice to chop them down. Want anyone to know that I was so unwell, I just told everyone I was taking a step back to work on the business. Took some time out, forced time out, and there was just nothing to support me as a nurse.
Speaker 2: I was too afraid, ashamed to.
Speaker 1: Talk to colleagues because historically nurses eat their own and I didn't want to be cheered up and spat out and gossiped about. It was a really scary time. And it was during that time I did a course on boundaries and ethics with Dr Wendy Macintosh. I have to say, if you ever want to do some study in that area, she is amazing. We were talking about tenderness and tenderness towards self, tenderness towards others, and it's really not a very recent searched area. Something just twigged and I don't know, the podcast has just fallen into place from there in that we really need to start looking out for each other, and we need to know where to go, and we need to stop shaming each other when things go wrong. And for a profession that's meant to be full of empathy and consideration for other people, I really think that sometimes nurses don't look out for each other. I think as a profession we really need to.
Speaker 2: And so the aim of.
Speaker 1: This podcast is to give you, guys all some strategies on how to look after yourselves, strategies and how to look after each other, some avenues. If you have any worries or concerns, where to go or contact us here and we can put you in touch with the right people how to be empathetic towards ourselves and towards each other, not just our patients. So I hope you will get something out of this. I'm not perfect, and the people that come on aren't. There's going to be some very vulnerable conversations. I just hope you guys will support it, listen, share, and give us feedback as to things you want to hear or talk about or know more about, and you know, we'll investigated and see where it goes.