Speaker 1: Lately. General, welcome the Late Debate. Thanks for joining us on the Late Debate.
Speaker 2: I'm James Macpherson with Freya Leitch and filling in for kayleb Bond. It's his birthday today, so he's out celebrating his Caroline Marcus coming up tonight. Flight attendants are always very well groomed, But what about.
Speaker 1: Their red lipstick.
Speaker 2: Apparently that's nothing to do with grooming and everything to do with safety.
Speaker 1: We'll explain that a little later.
Speaker 2: Plus, when we look at the papers, the world first social media ban for under sixteen's is set to go ahead after successful trials or were they?
Speaker 1: And a woman left to.
Speaker 2: Die after an argument between paramedics and police over who should attend to her first meant she was alone for five hours and deceased by the time anybody got there. Will get to all of that when we look at tomorrow's headlines. But first breaking news tonight, with the Victorian Liberal Party agreeing to loan one point five million dollars to four lead at John Pursuto so he can pay more Redeeming's legal fees and avoid bankruptcy. It also helps, of course, the Victoria and Liberals avoid a by election The decision was made about an hour ago by the party's nineteen member Administrative Committee, and some of the conditions for this one point five million dollar loan include John Pursuto offering up his superannuation as collateral, John Persudo committing to engage in fundraising efforts to help pay the loan back faster, and John Pursudo being charged an interest rate of about six percent. So does this put an end to the John Pursudo more redeeming episode or is this set to drag on and become a continual weight around the Victoria and Liberals neck Frayer.
Speaker 3: Well, I can see why they bailed him out with this loan, because it's good politics for them.
Speaker 4: They get to avoid a by election.
Speaker 3: His seat, Hawthorne, is on a one point seven percent margin, and to have the entire country's attention turn on a by election right now would just strap from the broader Victorian Liberal Party's mission of actually changing the government for the first time in a long time. So I see why they did it, but it's still a bad principle. This didn't have to happen. Perzuto had many opportunities to de escalate the situation, including a last minute deal offered to him a couple weeks ago by deeming to avoid bankruptcy. So I don't think this sets a good precedent. And I think the funniest part of this deal is the financial It's really like an investment fund that's linked to the Victorian Liberal Party. They describe this as a good investment because he's paying six percent interest. Nothing about this saga has been a good investment for the Victorian Liberal Party.
Speaker 1: What do you reckon, Caroline, Well.
Speaker 5: They had to do something, and kind of maybe it will end this chapter, but let us never forget what led to this in the first place. More redeeming was simply speaking at an event to support women's biological call sex based rights. And the first problem was John Pursuito smearing her as a Nazi because some masked, black clothed neo Nazis who'd like to hang out in their mother's basements decided to gat.
Speaker 6: Crash the event, she somehow gets smeared with it.
Speaker 5: So that was that was where the problem started. And then, as Freyer pointed out, he didn't back down. He had plenty of opportunities to do so. I mean, when the matter was presented to him. He should have just settled at that stage instead of dragging it to court and putting himself and his party at such financial risks. So I would be glad to see the end of awarding poor leadership.
Speaker 2: I mean, for him to label more Redeeming a Nazi because he was essentially afraid of that Nazi sympathizer Sambasizer was poor leadership. And he's also being rewarded for poor judgment for him to not have taken an earlier offer at one point it was ninety nine thousand dollars and make it all go away.
Speaker 1: He was ending up paying what two point three.
Speaker 2: Million dollars and he's a lawyer, and so this has just been an epic failure of judgment. And what does it say to Moira Deeming that the Liberal Party would back John Pursuito after he put her through all of that.
Speaker 5: I mean as little as a week ago, she was making an offer to him which was essentially based on five conditions, the main one probably being guarantee my pre selection, which is probably the least that she deserves after being put through the ordeal that she has, and he said no to that. Instead, he wanted her to wipe out a million dollars off his debt to her her legal costs, which, let's face it, who's going to do that?
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 2: The Victorian liberals can finally move on. Maybe let's talk about what's happening in the Middle East. Australians trying to flee the war in Israel slammed the Albanezy governments evacuation plans as shambolic. There are hundreds of assies in the Holy Land desperate to get out, and this is what they were provided with by Defat. Defect sent emails at ten thirty five am in the morning advising Australians a bus would be leaving in fifty five minutes from Tel Aviv. Get there for how long does it take you to get ready in the morning?
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, minutes, probably forty five minutes.
Speaker 1: Got to get there.
Speaker 4: You've got to organize everything one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: And you think about these people, right, they're in the middle of a war zone. There are sirens going off frequently and at unpredictable times. Tel Aviv as well, I guess less so during a war, but it is notorious for its traffic. So the idea that you can be in a war zone and with fifty five minutes notice.
Speaker 4: Pack shower, get ready and get.
Speaker 3: To the other side of the city potentially, or even to another city is ludicris I don't know who thought this was a good idea. And the other reason it makes absolutely no sense is it's not as though they were driving these people to get on a plane. They were just driving them to the border with Jordan, where they would still have to attempt to get on a plane. So if you leave in five minutes or an hour and fifty five minutes, it doesn't make any difference.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't have thought.
Speaker 2: So here's plenty wrong explaining they had a very small window and they took the opportunity.
Speaker 7: We will provide information to people in Israel when we have the opportunity. Obviously it's a very fluid situation. We had a small window yesterday, so we took that opportunity to move a small group. I am at the department and is working on trying to assist more people over the next twenty four Hours'd.
Speaker 2: Be pretty frustrating if you're an Aussie and you're getting that kind of assistance, But I've got to be honest, Caroline, if you go to Israel as we have. You know, you're going to a country which at any moment could combust with war breaking out. I think it's a bit rich to get angry at the Australian government for not looking after you. You knew very well when you went there that this was a very real possibility.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't think that anyone necessarily expected Israel to start attacking a run this week. In the past week. I mean, some people were saying even the US administration didn't know, which we all find that hard to believe, especially after recent events. So I don't think that's particularly fair. I mean, and in fairness, over the entire seventy year history or so of Israel, it's never It's always been a country that could erupt at any time, you know, which is your point.
Speaker 6: And there's always terrorist attacks.
Speaker 5: If you're going to visit, there always comes something of a risk.
Speaker 6: But and I do encourage people to visit.
Speaker 5: I mean, I haven't gone since October seven because I've got two little kids at home and I can't in good conscious as much as I'd like to see for myself, especially as a journal a journalist, especially as someone whose family has had come from Israel some.
Speaker 6: Of my family.
Speaker 5: I really would love to go back, but I don't want to take that risk right now. Having said that, I think that if I was there, I would have my bags packed. I'd be ready to go at any moment, because you aren't now in a war zone, and if your a country can evacuate you, fifty five minutes is not a lot of time. Israel is a very small country geographically. You want to be ready to go at any point. So people who say, well, we didn't have time to pack, we didn't have time to shower, we didn't have time to say good I just get out of there. Just take the opportunity. But it does remind me of the swim club that my kids used to go to, very very poor conduct there, and they would send an email on the morning half an hour before some classes. Babies poot in the pool, don't come, it's classes are off, and we'd turn up and they'd be like, we send.
Speaker 6: You an email half an hour ago. I'm like, thanks very much. I didn't even see the email.
Speaker 2: I think most of those people are now working for Deepail. I was in Israel about eight years ago and I was talking to the tour guide and I remarked that I've been to New York, I've been to London. I never felt so safe as walking through the streets of Jerusalem in the wee hours of the morning. And he said to me, James, you're never going to get mugged in Jerusalem, You're never going to get beaten up. You might get blown up by a bomb. And we both laughed, but we laughed because we understood it's kinda true.
Speaker 1: So I think people know when they go there that's the risk.
Speaker 2: But when defat pool stunts like that, it does make you wonder, seriously, who's organizing this circuit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it definitely is always a risk you take, but I think it's more just the incompetence of our government.
Speaker 5: It's frustrated and how can they get three thousand people, nearly three thousand from Gaza on visitor visas here in next to no time and they can't save Australians who are in a democratic country and.
Speaker 6: In a war zone.
Speaker 4: They didn't know what was going to erupt exactly.
Speaker 3: And so while Pennywong has been solving potential global conflicts by calling for de escalation and diplomacy, one of her fellow cabinet ministers. Chris Bowen, who you know, when he's not destroying our country's energy system, is making other foolish remarks.
Speaker 4: This time he appeared in an.
Speaker 3: Interview and he went further than Albanezi and Wong and he said Israel had done stuff in the last couple of weeks that we don't agree with.
Speaker 4: What stuff like? That's what I want to know.
Speaker 3: And this is the problem right when politicians, but specifically labor in relation to this conflict, talk about the general concerns they have with Israel, there were just things that we just don't agree with. It's like, well, point to what they asked specifically, instead of just trying to taint Israel with this broad brush of disapproval.
Speaker 4: Check out what he said.
Speaker 1: The Prime Minister and the FOREGM minists have been very clear about our views that we don't agree with some of the activities of Israel over recent weeks and months.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Of course, the.
Speaker 2: Prime Minister and Foreign minist all back so the statements that's the situation unfolds.
Speaker 1: We've also made our view clear about what Iran needs to do in this circumstance.
Speaker 3: Now, So what things in the last couple of weeks as they're taking out Iran's nuclear facilities.
Speaker 4: Tell us Chris Bowen, I'm waiting.
Speaker 2: Iran's ambassador asked, Chris Bowen, will you condemn Israel's preemptive strikes on our country? The right response would be to have fallen on the floor and burst into hysterical laughter, as if you are going to condemn Israel for taking out nuclear facilities which have been used for years to threaten wiping Israel from the map.
Speaker 1: And for Chris Bowen to.
Speaker 2: Say, well, we're not going to condemn them, but I've got to say we have been very unimpressed with Israel for a long time.
Speaker 1: Beggars belief, Zero moral clarity.
Speaker 2: Is it because his own seat is eleven and a half percent Muslim and he doesn't want to offend his local constituency. You suppose that is probably what's going on here. But for him to be more concerned seemingly about his little electoral seat in the margin he's got, rather than what is right and what is moral just beggars belief.
Speaker 5: But it's entirely consistent with the rest of the party, is I mean, look at Tony Burke who also has and Jason Clair, who also have very high proportions of Muslim Australians who certainly do not sympathize on the whole with Israel in this scenario and especially when it comes to the conflict in Gasa. But how can you be so morally bankrupt you talk about moral clarity, I'd say he is entirely morally bankrupt, as is Penny Wong on this issue, as Albanezi has been at large to actually seem to side with the mad Mullers who are on the verge of getting nuclear weapons, rather than a democratic nation that is trying to survive, like is facing an existential threat from people who do not. Why do they keep talking about going back to negotiations? Zany Wong keeps saying urging restraint, drawing equivalents between Israel and Iran as if there is any it's just entirely the wrong way around this goverment has.
Speaker 3: It reminds me of this iconic scene from one of my favorite movies of all time, The Dictator by the incredibly genius Jewish comedian Sasha Baron Cohen.
Speaker 4: This is exactly what it is.
Speaker 8: We are two months away from enriching weapons great uranium to be used for peaceful purposes. It will be used only for medical research and clean energy. It will, it will and will certainly never be used to attack is oh.
Speaker 3: Boy, medical research and clean energy. Oh wait, but Bowen doesn't like no read that losing on all fronts here.
Speaker 1: Saw that he thought it was a documentary. So there you go. That's about where the labor party are at.
Speaker 2: Speaking of bad takes, let's talk about will Be Goldberg for a moment. Remember with be Goldberg she went from starring in the Ghost to ghosting logic and reason on the view.
Speaker 1: I want to show you.
Speaker 2: In exchange that just took place where she was talking with one of her co hosts about what's happening in Iran, and her co host made the point that Iran is a terrible place. The human rights violations are shocking. I mean they throw gaze from rooftops.
Speaker 1: And here's what.
Speaker 9: Happened the year twenty twenty five, new notheans is nothing like if I stepped foot wearing that younger inter us.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I mean I can't have my hair.
Speaker 9: Showing, I can't wear a skirt, I can't have my It's very different live in the night seats in twenty twenty five than.
Speaker 4: It is to live in An.
Speaker 9: You're blind for everybody, not every black guys go go.
Speaker 10: To Kuran and you know, let me tell you about being in this country. This is the greatest country in the world. But yeah, I know that, we know that, and we all know that. But every day we are worried. Do we have to be worried about our kids? Are the our kids going to get shot because they're running through somebody's neighbor?
Speaker 2: Tell you what my dream is to become a millionaire victim, just like will Be Goldberg. The fact that she can go on television and sprout nonsense like that, free of persecution or anything else that's going to come her way is evidence America is the freest country on earth, far different to Iran. And for her to say, yeah, I know Iran's bad, but what about black people in the United States?
Speaker 5: Is she is a perpetual victim, isn't she? And to try and draw any sort of similarity or equivalence between the Iran's human rights abuse is the fact that literally plucks women off the street and disappears them and executes them.
Speaker 6: For showing their hair is extraordinary.
Speaker 5: But she is someone who has a record of not knowing her history on this stuff and trying to minimize the suffering of other people's and races.
Speaker 6: Take a look at what she said.
Speaker 5: Back in twenty twenty two when she was speaking about the Holocaust.
Speaker 10: The Holocaust isn't about race.
Speaker 1: No, it's not about racey.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's about a different race.
Speaker 1: But it's not about race.
Speaker 10: It's not about because it's about man's inhumanity to man.
Speaker 6: That's what it's about.
Speaker 5: Let's put aside the fact that someone's obviously been hitting the ozempic pretty hard in.
Speaker 6: The past few years.
Speaker 5: Sorry, but I think it's unavoidable there. I think there's a common element here, guys. She seems to not think that these places that have a real hatred towards Jews and anti Semitism. It's like she's trying to minimize that in what she's talking about, whether it's radical Islam or on the far right in the Nazi Germany.
Speaker 3: It's because like so many on the left, who they have this cultural Marxist framework where everyone can be divided into either being an oppressed person or an oppressor, and all white people are put in the oppressor category, and in her view, Jews are too white to be oppressed. They are too white to be victims of anti semitism. Therefore, the Holocaust really can't be about racism, because how can you be racist against white people. That is the logic in these people's minds, and that's why the left consistently does not take anti semitism seriously, because they don't see white people or Jews.
Speaker 4: Well, they see Jews.
Speaker 3: As white people, and they don't think white people could ever be discriminated.
Speaker 5: Or in the hierarchy of oppression, Black people, to her are always going to be the most impressed, even though people in Iran have been living under the worst types of oppression for decades since the revolution.
Speaker 2: Exactly, will let's stay with bad takes will stay in America because it is a good place to get bad takes. Obama had a shocking take today. He was speaking at a charity event in Connecticut, and he told the crowd that America was dangerously close to becoming an autocracy. His evidence for this is that when leaders take the oath of office, they need to take it seriously, and when that's not happening, America is on the verge of going off a cliff. He said, we're not there yet completely, but I think that we are dangerously close to normalizing behavior like that as in autocracy, and we need people both outside government and inside government saying let's not go over that cliff.
Speaker 1: Because it's hard to recover.
Speaker 2: It's hard for me to believe that's not very, very close to incitement. What he's saying is that Donald Trump is breaking his presidential oath, he's acting illegally, he's obtaining power he ought not to become an authoritarian, and we are this close to losing our democracy. Isn't this the sort of stuff that was being said in the lead up not one, but two assassination attempts against Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: You would have thought the left would have learned their.
Speaker 2: Lesson and dialed it down, particularly after the fact we just had a politician assassinated just a matter of days ago. For Obama, a former president who's meant to be graciously quiet, but of course Obama is unique when it comes to former presidents. Instead of disappearing quietly, he stayed in Washington, d C. Where he's enjoyed a third term. If you want to talk about American democracy being trashed, for him to speak like this is just winding up people to create not just more social disharmony, but more danger for all politicians when he goes on with nonsense like.
Speaker 3: That, and his rallying cry to the progressives to take back America was he said, you could be as progressive and socially conscious as you wanted, and you didn't have to pay a price.
Speaker 4: He said, you could still make a lot of money.
Speaker 3: You could still hang out in Aspen and Milan and and have a house in the Hampton's and still think.
Speaker 4: Of yourself as a progressive.
Speaker 3: But we now have a situation in which all of us are going to be tested in some way, and we're going to have to decide what our commitments will be.
Speaker 4: Now things are a little different.
Speaker 3: Might my Hampton's house, you might lose some of your donors. If you university, if you're a law firm, your billings might drop a little bit. But this is the kicker, which means you cannot remodel that kitchen in your Hampton's house this summer.
Speaker 4: Like how out of touch is this guy?
Speaker 3: And this is the fundamental problem in American politics. They all hate Trump because he is standing up for the people that the elites abandoned. They are the ones that took over the institutions. They are the ones that have hijacked the judiciary with left wing activist judges. They are the ones that have continually talked down about America's identity and history. They are the ones that have alienated the middle class, the average American. They are the ones to blame, if anything, for Trump's rise and Trump's success. So for him to follow about not being able to remodel that Hampton's kitchen, come on, and.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, but he can just sit down.
Speaker 5: He was part of one of the biggest political cover ups in helping to cover up the complete cognitive decline of Joe Biden and prop him up for years beyond the point where he really should not have been in office.
Speaker 6: He was part of that conspiracy. That much was clear.
Speaker 5: So he can't be speaking about an autocracy and having an issue with how democracy is run when he was very much a part of the problem. And saying that universities are losing their funding, Well, why are they losing their funding? These are the universities which allow anti Semitism on campus, hatred themselves, doing positive discrimination, where they alienating Asia, Asian right, white Jewish students who are the top performing for black and Hispanic lower performing students, just so they can say these people are being given place.
Speaker 2: Here's what I don't get about Obama, right Is he a fool or is he a genius?
Speaker 1: Because look at what's going on right now.
Speaker 2: You've got Iran, and Iran is close to getting nuclear weapons, principally thanks to the Obama administration, which had that many red lines that Iran kept crossing, which provided Iran with billions of dollars that they should never have had. So is Obama either stupid for popping his head up right now he's the last person who should be talking, or is he just trying to distract from the fact that he is very responsible for the mess the Middle East is in right now, and he's trying to blame shift and deflect.
Speaker 3: That's an excellent point because if anything, it was Obama that enabled the autocrats of the world. Never forget Russia invaded Crimea in twenty fourteen. Under Obama, they signed the disastrous nuclear deal with Iran that lift one hundred billion dollars of sanctions against Iran, allowing them to rearm and fund their terror proxies.
Speaker 4: Throughout the Middle East.
Speaker 3: They did nothing when the assigned regime in Syria used chemical weapons against their own people. It's very rich for Obama to talk about autocracy when he was the principal enabler of autocrats throughout the world during his eight years as president.
Speaker 5: Well, look, speaking of out of touch leaders, let's turn to our own ouach.
Speaker 4: Well, maybe that's not quite turned.
Speaker 5: To Anthony ALBINIZI not an autocrat, not yet, but he is a big spender, so probably out of touch with anything except the most elite remodeling.
Speaker 6: Their homes and the Hamptons.
Speaker 5: It turns out that he has spent a whopping amount on air travel in the past past term. In fact, he has his cost taxpayers more than two hundred and fifty thousand dollars just in the very late part of twenty twenty four alone, and his overseas trips have come up to more than one point nine million dollars in the first term of government. These latest figures have just been released and they really take into account some of his big summit trips to Peru and Brazil last year, and a lot of the costs were to do with staff travel expenses. Now I think that this is going to get a lot of people's noses out of joint because they'll be asking, well, what have we actually got for that money? I mean, there's a reason he's called Airbus Elbow, and that is his nickname. He is known for taking these big trips and I don't think that would be a huge problem for someone in his position, But what are we actually getting for this?
Speaker 6: All?
Speaker 5: During a cost of living crisis? He hasn't scored a meeting, a face to face with what should be Australia's closest allied, Donald Trump, the President of the United States. I mean, he came very close, but other things took precedence. He hasn't gone to Washington, he hasn't gone to Israel in that time since October seven? So will people really think that this money is worth it?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: As well as Airbus Elbow, my other favorite one is Anthony Overseasy. Actually, I'm going to defend Elbow for a little bit, at risk of putting everybody offside. Scomo spent three point one million dollars in fifteen months on overseas travel, seventeen trips to nineteen countries, So Elbow one point nine million Scomo three point one our prime minister at least.
Speaker 5: Team mate the President of the United States, even if Joe Biden can't remember it.
Speaker 1: That's the caveat.
Speaker 2: I think we got better value for money with Scomo and his overseas trips than we're getting with Anti Albanzi. The other question I would ask, though, Freyer, is isn't emissions destroying the world and that failure like completely paying through the nose for our electricity these days to keep emissions down. That is Anthony Albanesi way up those two contradictions exactly.
Speaker 3: And if he likes air travels so much and he believed in the importance of face to face meetings to build dialogue, get on a plane and go to Washington. Seriously, this does not help his case whatsoever. He's basically hiding from Trump at this point and then showing up like a little creek booker wherever Trump is trying to get his little twenty minutes so he can avoid a direct confrontation. And the other thing I would say is I initially had sympathy for Olbow because I thought, you know, he's the prime minister, this is what prime ministers do.
Speaker 4: And then I read in an article.
Speaker 3: Apparently he's had sixty personal members of staff traveling with him over the course.
Speaker 4: I think this was in twenty twenty two or three.
Speaker 3: Sixty staff, and that is a significant portion of these travel expenses because they all have to have airfares, hotels, transport, et cetera.
Speaker 4: I mean, isn't that why we have phone calls and zoom.
Speaker 3: You don't need sixty staff, you need one or two plus some security.
Speaker 4: That seems a little strange to me.
Speaker 6: It seems very over the top.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of where our easy should be, which is the United States. Another thing that's happening in the United States is a really interesting decision.
Speaker 4: In the Supreme Court.
Speaker 3: They upheld a law from Tennessee which bans puberty blockers and gender affirming care for transgender identifying children. The decision was six to three and it broke along ideological lines, with more conservative judges obviously.
Speaker 4: Voting to uphold the law.
Speaker 3: But what was really interesting is the Biden administration joined with the plaintiffs in challenging this law, and then Trump said, obviously stuff that we actually believe in biology and science, but we're going to let this case go through to see what the Court said, and one of the most interesting aspects of this case was a line from Justice Thomas's judgment where he said, this case serves as a useful reminder that American people and their representatives are entitled to disagree with those who hold themselves out as experts, and that the courts should not sit as a super legislature to weigh the wisdom of legislation.
Speaker 4: That's critical. One.
Speaker 3: The states should have the right to legislate these things. It's more direct democracy. This is their job, not the courts. And two, we have been told for years and years, and the plaintiffs in this case tried to run the same ardit argument. All the experts say, gender affirming care is correct, all the experts believe in this stuff, and the judge just goes, sorry, I don't care what all the experts say. It doesn't matter because experts, unfortunately have been proved wrong time and time again. And the fact is there is very little evidentiary basis for gender affirming care and it often does far more harm than good.
Speaker 2: So that's a really good take from the US Supreme Court. But Carolin riddled me this the US Academy of Pediatrics, they had a bizarre take.
Speaker 5: That really bizarre take. They basically dismissed this finding entirely. They put out a tweet, and they're the peak group representing care health care for children in America. The Supreme Court's decision.
Speaker 6: Today does not change the science.
Speaker 5: Gender affirma care remains evidence based, medically necessary care that improves the health and well being of transgender youth. I mean, I don't know if this group has been paying any attention whatsoever, but there was a landmark cast review in the UK that looked at several studies, several scientists, big studies, and found that there was actually very weak evidence in favor of gender affirma care and that the consequences were far too serious to keep following the model that many countries, including America followed. I mean, in Australia, our own government, our own very progressive left government, has ordered a review into how gender care is conducted in this country because even it can see that it has not been satisfactory and there have been all sorts of problems, including in far North Queensland, where they've had to shut a service down because children, very young children were getting care without consent from their parents. It's Luckily, this decision actually seems to be moving in. There seems to be a trend at the moment we've seen in the UK the Supreme Court, they're upheld finally the definition of a woman as a biological female. Why that had to go to a court who knows. But finally we are seeing some sense, at least on a legal level.
Speaker 2: So the law will stand in Tennessee that The amazing part of that story to me is that three of the nine Supreme Court judges excuse me, still voted to overturn the law and make it so that minus could have sex changes.
Speaker 1: It just boggles the mind.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to the midd least for a moment, because obviously there are still people who believe it's possible for a cease fire. But who would mediate a ceasefire? Now, I guess there's some options. You're probably thinking Greta Thunberg. If it wasn't going to gret A Thunberg, who would be your next choice to mediate peace.
Speaker 1: In the Middle East? Vladimir Putin.
Speaker 10: I spoke to him yesterday and I said, you know, he actually offered to help mediate.
Speaker 1: I said, do me a favor, mediate your own let's mediate Russia first.
Speaker 2: Okay, I said, Vladimir, let's mediate Russia first.
Speaker 6: You can worry about this later.
Speaker 10: But I think that's going to work out too.
Speaker 6: But it's so many people have been killed.
Speaker 2: I really like the way Trump does India conferences, just on the fly, told lad mediate your own situation first before you worry about the Middle East. I suppose Vladimir Putin would be happy for the distraction. The whole world's focused on the Middle East rather than what he's doing in Europe. It's not entirely crazy, though, because Vladimir Putin obviously has a relationship with the Tola, but he also once went was it to the ballet or a musical with Benjamin Nett and Yahoo, and that they're not entirely, you know, friendless in Israel. So it's yes, not entirely stupid. It's just mostly stupid.
Speaker 4: No, I think it's entirely stupid.
Speaker 3: I think this was an absolute brain fight from Putin and a bizarre thing to suggest.
Speaker 4: Yes, they traditionally have had strong.
Speaker 3: Ties to Russia because there's a huge Russian speaking community in Israel and vice versa in Russia as well, because a lot of them had to flee Russia exactly. But I think this is actually a strategy from Putin, yes, to partly distract from Ukraine, but also a week Iran is a week Russia. As sanctions have been applied to both Iran and Russia, they've essentially formed a bit of a parallel economy them and China included.
Speaker 4: So Iran is making drones for Russia.
Speaker 3: They're also a massive weapons supplier, coordinate on oil and gas production, and China also has an interest in negotiating a ceasefire because China buys ninety percent of Iran's oil. So they're all in on this little charade. And if you have a week Iran, you have a week China, you have a week Russia. So it's no surprise Putin's looking at this and freaking out.
Speaker 6: But what is that to mediate?
Speaker 5: Quite frankly, how are you going to get the Ayatola and the mad mullers in Iran to agree that their goal is not to destroy Israel and kill all the Jews. How are you going to get anyone, let alone Putin that great peacemaker to come to make them see their senses. They're not What is going to take is regime change, a complete destruction of any nuclear capability and then maybe we'll have peace.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, tell you who should do some mediation, and that's Coalition MP Garth Hamilton.
Speaker 1: Because he's come up with some pretty good ideas.
Speaker 2: Maybe Jim Chalmers could use him as one of those round tables he wants to organize. Garth Hamilton has suggested that mothers should receive lifetime tax breaks as a priority to encourage the birth rate, to encourage families, and to compensate women for the years they lose raising children from the workforce. Hamilton said our tax system must have a purpose, and that purpose must be to make life better for Australian families. It's no longer enough to invent new taxes just so governments can have more money to spend. We need a tax system that's inclusive, that supports modern families, whatever shape they may be. If you're looking after each other, Australia should be looking after you so quickly. From both of you. I'll start with you, Caroline, because you're a mum. Do you think lifetime tax breaks for a mum in honor of your contribution to the country, the years that you sacrificed where you could have been out working. Though raising kids is not a sacrifice, good plan or bad place.
Speaker 5: It is something of a sacrifice. But I think think Look, I wouldn't say no to any tax breaks, but I think what the country needs to work on is lower taxes.
Speaker 6: For everyone, and that will help all families.
Speaker 5: And in cases where women choose not to return to the workforce, especially for many years while the kids were young, I think they should be supported too.
Speaker 6: The incentive shouldn't just be for them.
Speaker 5: To get back to work as quickly as possible and then enjoy all these tax breaks and have a dual in come.
Speaker 6: It should be to set.
Speaker 5: Up a set things up for families and young families so that they can have more time at home with their kids too if they choose.
Speaker 3: Totally agree, But ultimately, the only thing that will actually change the birth rate Hungry has proven this.
Speaker 4: It's culture. That's why Israel is the.
Speaker 3: Only developed country with a birth rate above replacement rate. It's because families are value that the center of national life, and women are honored for their role in childbearing.
Speaker 4: And that's what we have to have here too.
Speaker 1: Culture and tax breaks, Yeah, those two things wonderful. We're going to take a break.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we'll look at what's making news tomorrow, including a woman left to die after a five hour disagreement between paramedics and police over who should deal with her first. That's coming up with this a moment.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the program.
Speaker 2: Let's take a look at what's making headlines tomorrow so you hear them first tonight, Fray, you've got the Australians.
Speaker 3: Starting with the Australian. The headline is Ayatolla's ward War. Iranian missile strikes have reached reached carnage in Israel, pounding a hospital and residential areas in a major escalation in Tehran's retaliation against the Jewish state, as Donald Trump prepares to enter the war in a bid to wipe.
Speaker 4: Out Iran's nuclear facilities.
Speaker 3: The US President reportedly told senior aides he had approved the attack plan, but was holding off giving the green light to allow Tehran a final chance to step back from the brink by abandoning its nuclear ambitions. Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Nettnia, who warned Iran would pair heavy price after the strikes on Beersheba's Sokora hospital and civilian in areas across the country.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is the difference in a taxtile.
Speaker 3: We're seeing Israel is launching it very targeted, very precise strikes against Iran, whereas Iran is now targeting population centers across the country.
Speaker 2: Of course, Trump is trying to work out whether he's going to get involved or not. And pictures like that, you would think may well influence Donald Trump to say.
Speaker 1: All right, we need to help Israeli sort this out and sort it out fast.
Speaker 2: The Israeli Air Force have destroyed about forty percent of Iran's missiles, but that still leaves them with a lot. And you know, the Iron Dome is amazing. It is amazing to me when you consider how many hundreds, maybe thousands of missiles and drones have gone into Israel.
Speaker 1: And this is the worst that we've seen.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's terrible, but it's a miracle that there hasn't been far more cut.
Speaker 5: That's why when people talk about casualty rates and compare them, say between Israel and Gaza, it's not an accurate reflexion of the war, because Israel spends its money on protecting its own people, whereas these regimes spend their money on waging terror against Israel. I think that this is obviously going to ramp up a lot. We've her the Defense Minister of Israel in the past few hours come out and say that the Ayatola can't continue to exist. So I think things are certainly going to.
Speaker 6: Escalate after that attack on the hospital.
Speaker 5: And of course where have all the voice has been that attack Israel for when they may hit a hospital that serves as her mass headquarters, for example, and we hear all this outrage. Not the same case here front of the Daily Telegraph. This is a big story across all news papers tomorrow, Yes we can, and it's an exclusive about how social media, how the government has been given a green light to impose a sixteen and under a social media ban. So this is a story that has dominated in recent months about how the government was considering doing this, and now the first technological trial into this has determined that if they do this, it would be a robust and effective method of helping to protect kids. I've got to say I'm for it. With two young kids. I think it's social media has just got out of control. I'm really concerned about what it's going to be like for my kids personally.
Speaker 3: And I think if you can police it in a way that protects privacy and doesn't compromise data, then I do support it, to be honest, and I think you look at especially TikTok that's literally a Chinese spyware plant farm.
Speaker 6: I think we should have it.
Speaker 4: I know you're big, but it is spyware.
Speaker 2: Use every program to advertise your TikTok, account for it.
Speaker 4: I didn't bring it out of his design.
Speaker 3: I want it, Okay, moving on, so TikTok, that's not great meta. I mean, we still don't know how these algorithms work. We know the impact it's having on We've seen the suicide rates just skyrockets since smartphones and social media was introduced in around twenty twelve. I think it should be regulated like tobacco, like alcohol. It's not great for kids. There is basically zero upside to it for children.
Speaker 2: I totally understand as a parent, you don't keep your kids off social media for as long as you possibly can. Don't let them have an Instagram or whatever until they're thirty five years old. But the ABC reported just yesterday, and this is tomorrow's news, but the ABC reported that the trials were pretty hit and miss. You had a child who was fifteen repeatedly misidentified as being twenty or thirty.
Speaker 1: There was a girl who was seventeen.
Speaker 2: Identified one time as fourteen, at another time as thirty two. So there's still a long way to go with this, but they've decided it's good enough.
Speaker 1: And that's a bit of a theme with the Albanezy government.
Speaker 10: Isn't it.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the front page of the Herald Son. This is a shocking story and I've been trying to get the rest of the story as and Caroline.
Speaker 1: Have been speaking.
Speaker 2: We've only got the front page, so we'll just give you the details we can deadly mix up.
Speaker 1: Reads the headline.
Speaker 2: Woman dies as ambos and police stand off causes a five hour wait. So a woman was left to die while waiting up to five hours for an ambulance due to an emergency services standoff. Paramedics were called late on Tuesday, but they requested police assistance because the woman had been violent with emergency services workers in the past. Fair enough, but police refused to attend without evidence of violence. So the paramedics said, we're not going to this woman without police assistance, and escort. The police said, well, unless there's violence taking place, we can't be there. Five hours they argued over this, by which time the lady was deceased.
Speaker 5: I do feel for the paramedics in this case, because you know, a few years ago we had that horrific tragedy in Sydney where medic died and a dad to be in the car park of a fast food restaurant someone with mental health issues stabbed him repeatedly. Paramedics face incredible risks every day just doing their jobs, and I don't blame them if this woman was violent in the past for not wanting to go in, I think obviously they'll I mean, there will likely be an inquest, a coronial inquest into this if or an internal review if police had been contacted and didn't turn up for five hours. So I think there needs to be serious questions as to why they refuse to help for so long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't really understand why they needed evidence of current violence. When she has a violent history. You'd think that would be good enough for police, and then you'd think after a couple hours they would go, oh, my gosh, like this is an emergency. Let's just I know, the laws of the law, but I think a woman's life is more important than following whatever bureaucratic steps they have to go through. But let's move now to the advertiser. Here the headline is can't spell? Have a gun? The police recruitment crisis is so bad the government has dropped a requirement for prospective cadets to pass spelling and numeracy tests. Police Minister Stephen Mulligan said it was to stop so many recruits being knocked out. I would like to see these spelling and numeracy tests.
Speaker 4: But if they're basic, and.
Speaker 3: They're not like, you know, high school or university level mathematics, I mean, shouldn't there be some standard for our police.
Speaker 2: I want to criticize Caroline, but I failed a basic spelling test as a first year UNI student and became a journalist, so I got.
Speaker 5: Well, I got to be honest, and I'm pretty pedantic about things like spelling and grammar and pretty good with my math. And there are a number of journalists out there who can't spell. I think many of them should not be the to Carstones in this instance. I would like a police officer who could keep us safe, who could protect us. They reports don't have to be perfectly spelled. I mean they have spellcheck to do those sorts of things. I think there's more important things, but I'd like to think they could maybe pass.
Speaker 6: Like Ankdergard well.
Speaker 2: As a young reporter, I was doing the synopsis for neighbors, like on the TV Guide, and they called me into his office and he emptied a mail bag full of letters complaining about a spelling mistake in the TV Guide which I was responsible for.
Speaker 5: I never made another spelling error that Gold Coast bulletin now and there's a couple of stories of note here.
Speaker 6: First one on top of the World.
Speaker 5: It's a Melbourne based consortium which is planning to build the tallest tower in Australia. It would be a whopping one hundred and one stories. You can see it there on the right hand side of the paper. Mayor Tom Tait in the Gold Coast is calling the startling project behind the south.
Speaker 6: Port Bowls Club a vote of.
Speaker 5: Confidence in the city's ailing CBD. It's look, I don't know if you'd call that an iesore or something. To go to the Gold Seaport quickly rough at see the RSPZ and police probe up to ten dogs living on a houseboat. They're living it up right there. It's a dog's life, isn't it.
Speaker 4: That looks fun. I want to be on that house boat.
Speaker 1: I just love the contrast for the goldens.
Speaker 2: Right, You've got one hundred and one story monstrosity and ten dogs living together on a houseboat.
Speaker 1: Absolutely incredible. Stick around. When we come back.
Speaker 2: Airline stewardesses, they are always very well groomed. But their lipstick that's not for grooming. It's not esthetics.
Speaker 1: Apparently that's like an emergency measure.
Speaker 2: Explain that in the moment. Welcome back to the program. I fly a fair bit. But Caroline, this next story, I have never heard this before, so take it away.
Speaker 1: I think it'll be news to a lot of people.
Speaker 5: Well, you know how flight attendants always look so perfect. I mean we all pretty crap, well, at least I do when I'm traveling on a flight, especially by the end of it. But they've got this flawless makeup and gorgeous hair, perfect stature, and then they've got these beautiful red lips. Apparently it's not just a case of looking appealing for the passenger's sake. Apparently there's a safety reason behind it. A form of flight attendant has told The New York Times that the reason cabin crew wear red lipstick, and I'm just talking about the female flight attendency, is because passengers can better read their lips in the case of an emergency.
Speaker 6: Do you buy that well?
Speaker 3: I mean, you've just raised a good point. Why does this not apply to the male flight attendants? Do I then want to be strategically females. I can read their lips just in case we go down. Doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: It makes no sense to I'm going to take your word for it.
Speaker 5: Don't take my word. Can you do some reason search for us? Do they all wear red lipstick? Now another flight story, A dad has churned what was a bit of an on air meltdown by his young daughter into a bit of fun. He brought the baby out after the flight to greet each passenger as they disembarked. Have a look, now, who of us have not been annoyed by some screaming baby in entire flight? I mean, as a mom, I am now a lot more sympathetic to the poor parents.
Speaker 6: But it's hard to be mad at that guy.
Speaker 2: All you want to is get off the plane, away from the kid and the heat off the plane and the kid's still there.
Speaker 1: That's the worst thing ever.
Speaker 2: Founding fathers back in seventeen seventy six would never have imagined that US politics would reach the low, pitiful state that it has reached. But check out what happened in the Oregon legislat where the Democrats passed the motion very important recognizing black drag performers, very important motion, and this is how they celebrated in the House. Honestly, the best advertisement for Republicans is just let Democrats keep being Democrats and they will never.
Speaker 1: Take office again.
Speaker 2: One of the things that really worried me is someone in the comments section when I read the story in the paper wrote, see drag queens aren't just meant for kids, which shows how normalized rag for kids has been that to point out, see it's for adults as well.
Speaker 1: But there you go. The Democrats have no friends with that kind of rubbish.
Speaker 3: So weird sitting there in silence in broad daylight watching these six foot tall dudes parade around in glitter and sparkles. It's just, yeah, this is what people died for in multiple work our democratic rights.
Speaker 5: I feel like the Republicans probably planted this, getting.
Speaker 6: People to see how ludicrous this policy is.
Speaker 2: Maybe so well, Happy birthday to our Caleb Bond, and good night to all of you stick around me.
Speaker 1: The penalty shows coming up in just a moment.