Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Thursday, March five, twenty twenty six. Organizers of the women's soccer Asian Cup have refused to explain why an Iranian Australian journalist was removed from a Gold Coast stadium on Monday night, where Iran were defeated three nil by South Korea. The Melbourne Underworld crime figure Mitghatto is under investigation by a Commission of Inquiry into the CFMU. That's after he was linked to a traffic company operating on the Gold Coast. The Australian's got unrivaled coverage of domestic and world news and right now we're all over Iran's war, with everyone from our correspondence on the ground to our expert analysts here at home. Check us out at the Australian dot com dot au. It's the massive media bust up almost three decades in the making, the acrimonious end of radio behemoth The Kyl and Jackie Oh Show. But who's in the wrong and is there still space for stars like Carl sanderlans and Jackie Henderson in cash strapped Australian media landscape. The Australians Media Diary editor Steve Jackson joins me in just a moment. Steve Jackson is The Australian's Media Diary editor. Jacko, I've taken the liberty of doing your stars for today.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope you haven't been focusing on it too much because they can lead to an almighty blow up.
Speaker 1: It's actually very interesting as a Sagittarius, you are seeing long term projects finally come together.
Speaker 2: Look, as I said, fascinating, fascinating, But I don't know if this comes to the detriment of everything else on the show.
Speaker 1: Claik It's time for diligence in career and finances requiring patients, Jacko, as efforts begin to bear for it, focus on maintaining emotional maturity in relations and ships. You can't argue with this is a science.
Speaker 2: Look, everyone in here has been talking about your star science, your obsession.
Speaker 1: Now. The blow up between Coyle and Jackie Oh was partly about horoscopes. The two titans of the Australian FM radio scene, probably the highest earning FM radio stars Australia has ever seen. In the middle of a two hundred million dollar deal have broken up and it was all about this fight. I'm going to play a little bit of the fight that they had about horoscopes. So JACKIEO would have been able to see this coming.
Speaker 2: JACKO, well, she would have read it in the stars.
Speaker 1: You're off with the fairies where no, no, no, tell me where I've been off with the fairies during the show. I don't have to have to prove excuse of something.
Speaker 3: Listeners to the program, you'll hear yourself. Just give me to be aware of what's really going on.
Speaker 1: M Kyle that I totally am offended by you saying something.
Speaker 2: Bad if you are, because that's the reality of what we're dealing with here.
Speaker 1: That is so unfair. I have been in here, so as that conversation goes on here can't do what he's done a million times on that show, which is do a bit of real time feedback to Jackie. She does it to him all the time as well. She's called him fat on air before, she's called him crazy. She generally reacts to him raising some sort of topic of sex with her like, oh, Kyle. But here she's really upset, and it turns out that this wasn't just an act.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's the thing is And I think even after this initially went to where people were questioning, is this a stunt? Is this something to get people talking? We know they've been trailing in Melbourne? Is this something to get people interested? Everyone's talking about it. Even this morning. I'm still getting messages from people, go, this is all an elaborate stunt. It's not. And I think we could tell that the moment that that show was turned into a full episode podcast by aarn for the KISSFM podcast channel, that that ten minutes was cut entirely. That wasn't cut out as a you know, the bust up between our top rating stars. It was quite obviously from the moment they came off air, this is going to be a problem.
Speaker 1: These two have been pinned by the regulator. They have been fined, they have been ordered off air for the things that they have said on air. Why do you think, after twenty seven years of this partnership, Jackie Henderson, Jackie O has chosen now to be sick of Kyle, to be sick of what he's doing to her.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's an evolution. They've been working together since nineteen ninety nine, twenty seven years But you think about the people we were two decades twenty seven years ago. You evolve, right, and she's quite clearly evolved. She's had some momentous life changing moments. He's moved to America, lived in La moved back, married, divorced, remarried, become a father. So they are different people now. Kyle is still doing the very successful stick from twenty years ago, you know, crude in your face, this is what attracts headlines. Can you believe he said it? Whereas Jackie has evolved as a person and she knows no longer wants to be the hapless sidekick going, oh, Kyle rein it in, which has been a role for a large part of it. She's been the good girl and he's been the bad guy, and it's the straight man routine. But she's become the highest paid woman in the Australian media industry as part of this deal until they tore it up this week, and she no longer wanted to just be the foil, play second fiddle and just be the person being abused by Kyle because that's the show, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had some amazing chemistry as part of all of that and one of the things about the business model was that you were prepared to listen to. I had to listen this morning and there were fifteen ads played at eight twenty fifteen, fifteen second ads for things like dog food and sofas. I'm happy to listen to fifteen ads if what I'm going to get at the end of the ad break is not for old Smallsey who's hosting the show in their absence, but Kyle potentially saying the sea World, potentially starting a fight with a Hollywood star, potentially berating Jackie. The danger and drama of that radio format is what has made it successful. As a businesswoman, though, and Jackie is the part owner of this business, it's intriguing that she had a red line and that he's now crossed it.
Speaker 2: It's a really interesting thing because if we have our differences here, and we've probably had some over the years. Claire, I know I've pitched one of your stories before it was ready on the news list, and I'm over that. You can let it and there are words exchanged, right, it doesn't play out in front of the public, and quite often what their exchanges are, they are usually funny, whimsical and everyone's in on the joke. This time he has attacked her professionalism in a way that even if you kind of go yes, she is off with the fairies with the star signs, which some people will think, other people go no, no, this is a very serious science. But wasn't an appropriate time to do that? Probably not. And it's a thing about jokey banter with colleagues. Is it stops becoming a joke when only one side of it's finding it funny.
Speaker 1: She's a listally in a pretty vulnerable place. She has spoken in the past few years about overcoming a prescription medication addiction an alcohol problem. She went to the Betty Ford Clinic. She came back and had this very sort of spectacular glow up and is now positioning herself I think in the Gwyneth Paltrow mold as a bit of a wellness influencer. She started a podcast with her best friend Jemma O'Neill, who is also her manager and a very formidable broadcast identity in her own right. She's a behind the scenes player who's very savvy. They had a podcast called Her Best Life in which they talked about relationships, sex, but they talked a lot about horoscopes as well, and that's part of the evolution of the Australian woman. Horoscopes are huge with not only really young women in their twenties, but the midlife woman who's maybe she's got divorced, she's sick of the toxic guy who sits next her at work, and she's all about you know, as they pronounce it, uranus rising in sagittarius.
Speaker 2: Now, well, I think it's quite interesting because she's talked openly about what her aspirations were with this show. She got the two hundred million dollar deal. Obviously that's not all her money, it's about one hundred million each for Kyle and Jackie. What she wanted to do at the end of it, she wanted to use that money to live in Australia six months, live six months in Italy.
Speaker 3: So if you want to join me, So what you're saying, after this ten year deals up, that's it for you?
Speaker 1: Probably how long have you had this particular dream?
Speaker 3: Jackie forget her dream. The shock here is I got nine years left with her. That's it.
Speaker 2: That's a long time.
Speaker 3: We should save the audition for the replacement because I plan on dying on it.
Speaker 2: Oh so, it's very much. She's ad a eat prey love time of their life, as you say, the star signs or the horoscopes, a lot of new age beliefs. She's admitted that she has moved into a more woke space given her belief while Kyle is very much you know Donald Trump. And that's all good for a show like you Want. No one is more bored by people arguing in furious agreement about how much they concur on stuff. The problem is is that it does get personal at times. Where as you say, she's gone through all these emotional milestones and she comes back and Kyle quite uptenly says on the radio show, oh yeah, I didn't read your book. I don't care about that, like I don't. And we know people who've written books. You don't always want to read them. You've got a glance at them at the very least look at yeah, but you like it's someone like that is a labor of love writing a book and from a friend to go, ah, didn't read it, have no intention of reading it. I don't care. You can think given their persona, she's too resilient to worry about it. No, that's a hurtful thing. If I write a book, you better be reading.
Speaker 1: It as a business person. Tho style is right, isn't he? I mean it is not good radio to hear someone talking about as she was in that moment Andrew mount Batten Windsor's Stars and whether that was he was facing so much difficulty right now. I mean he delivered it very poorly, and in twenty twenty six, you know that's not the way you give feedback. But he's right.
Speaker 2: Whether or not he's right, do you reckon he should have said it then and there, like you said.
Speaker 1: It made good radio. I mean that has been their business model in the past. I think it was quite reasonable for him to expect that she would fire back, or at least that it would be maybe at awkward moment, a little bit of outrage from her. They're both also vulnerable in a business sense. Their foray into Melbourne was an absolute catastrophe. The penis and vagina repartee didn't work with Melbourne's audience, who were much more into you know what's happened to the piccolo lately. So that's a businessman under pressure arguing with his business partner, or a woman who's also under her own kind of pressure, isn't it. I think he would have a defense if this went to court that he could have quite reasonably expected that she would ride that out.
Speaker 2: Well, look, you are right. Kind of stop agreeing with me, jack You've kind of changed my mind on that because I think you're right. Because, let's face it, if they try to terminate Kyle's contract, there is every chance this is going to go to court. Like we're talking about ninety million dollars worth of employment for the next nine years. He's going to fight to keep that and say, as you point out, here are fifty thousand examples of where I've made comments like this in the past, and it's part of the joke and it's part of the chemistry. So yeah, you're probably right that he would have expected. Hey, this is our banter, this is what we do.
Speaker 1: Coming up why the Kyl and Jackie oshow doesn't work like it used to. So they've given Kyle fourteen days to remedy what they say a serious misconduct. Jackie OO is saying in a statement released by the company that she can't work with him anymore. That seems pretty definitive. They've said they've offered her another show. There's a lot to unpack there. Firstly, would anyone listen to the JACKIEO Show?
Speaker 2: I think that aarn is in a real spot of bother I don't think that there is a commercial market for a Jackieo's show by herself. I don't think there is a particularly strong commercial market for a JACKIEO show with a different co host unfortunately. And I get that she has been the highest paid woman in media, I don't think there is an appetite for that outside of the Kyle and JACKIEO Show for a major commercial, mainstream audience. Yes, the podcast has done quite well, but as you say, that is a very niche specific audience that she's talking to. Whether or not Kyle would work without jack I mean, I can see it being a passing parade of different hosts, but I'd actually got to say, I can't even see him staying there without her. So it's really difficult. And we're also seeing it's in this era where they're trying to nationalize shows to make them more broadly economical. They don't work outside the Sydney market in commercial television sixty minutes Spotlight at seven. They're loath to do stories around Kyle and Jackio because they don't work. It's been this long known thing. Kyle doesn't work in other markets.
Speaker 1: Jackie has been papped coming out of a sound healing session with a full face of makeup and a blow drawer. I noticed, So she's obviously getting on with life. Kyle's got these fourteen days to patch up the relationship. If that's what Ira and thinks can actually happen. Why have they said this fourteen day period? Is that? Is that to avoid him seeing them?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that this is a legal hurdle. They have to give him the opportunity to show cause as to why it wasn't serious misconduct. And I think you've hit the nail on the head as to what his argument's going to be. But they've got to give him this opportunity legally. But I think the second Jackie Henderson said that she did not feel safe in the workplace with Kyle is this is a whole different level. When you say you don't feel safe in the workplace with someone, This isn't a personal blop. This is irreparable. That's a very serious accusation to level against someone. Everything that implies is quite serious, and I don't think Kyle saw it coming to this, obviously with his updates on air in the days after the blop, and I think most people outside of it and we heard it, like you know, there were people saying, you know, this is where it's going to go, and now that's all very serious. I predicted on Monday for ninety million dollars each, these guys are going to be back, Like, you know, that amount of money can mend a lot of wounds. Obviously, you know she's prepared to forfeit those riches because she's at a stage of the life where she isn't prepared to be.
Speaker 1: She's not going to take it anymore. I mean she's had enough, yeah, and fair enough. I don't blame her either that it was a distressing Listen that tirade that he went on.
Speaker 2: If someone spoke to you like that in the workplace, how would you react.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think what you heard there was two quite empowered people. He went on a rant. We've all been a victim of Rance. If you're the less powerful person, you just submit to the rant and you go, yeah, okay, sorry, and you go away and cry in the toilets. She remained in the moment. She didn't change the subject. She kept arguing it out with him, which is very interesting. Speaking of stars, and I'm sorry to keep bringing it back to this, Jacko. In the past five years and this is still happening, we're seeing some stars go out in the firmament of Australian broadcast. So we've seen the disappearance of John Law's, Alan Jones, Ray Hadley from the air waves. You've reported on Karl Steffanovic's time being pretty much up at nine. He's got one year left on his contract and he says he doesn't know what's left now now potentially Carl Sandalans and Jackie O disappearing. What is happening here? Is this the end of big money and big stars in broadcast?
Speaker 2: Well, I think yes, I think it definitely is. But to your point about whether or not you'd accept it, I mean it's quite interesting, right, Like if I get berated like that in the newsroom by say the host of the front saying I haven't done my research before coming on. We've all felt like this. We've all gone back to a desk and gone I want to quit. I'm so close. I'm going to tell them more and they'll go home and you have a beer with a maid, or talk to your partner and go, I'm so close, unfortunately for most of us mortgage rant kids, and you go, all right, I've got it. But when you're independently wealthy or financially stable, as both of these people are, like Jackie, why have I got to take this? You know, like, yeah, it'd be great to have all this extra money. But she's already well off. She's already bought a home, she's building another mansion. She doesn't need to copy it. So it's that f you moment that everyone else feels and for her goes, oh, I can say.
Speaker 1: It is it also then about employers and the broadcast companies just going actually, we've had enough of your drama. To the stars. Yeah, we're not prepared to put up with it anymore.
Speaker 2: Grow over it. Well, I think it comes back to a market value, and we're going to see that at nine Radio now that it's been brought by the Laundies, and it's greats being brought by a billionaire, and it's going to be a private company. But they're businessmen, and we're seeing more and more the media taken over by people who aren't in it just because they love media. It's also being treated very financially as a business and the money isn't there that used to be. So we'll see it at nine Radio, all their hosts, this is how much they're on. But where you're going to get that somewhere else? Carl Stefanovig at nine, Oh you're on almost three million dollars. Where are you going to get that somewhere else? And it used to be, oh, we've got to pay this much because seven will swoop in or ten will swoop in. No, they're not. They can't afford to keep their own stars on their salary. So it's going to be this market forces are going to drive down all those prices and the era of you know, their stars and we've got to let them get away with murder that is gone because at the end of the day, it's like, well, they need to be proving their value and it's not about let's keep them happy at all costs, because let's be honest, there's been a lot of people that have gone through that. Kyle and Jackie Osho as producers who've treated as a right of passage, you know, like yeah, you get yelled at an abuse, and we've worked in newsrooms where you get yelled at and abused. And unfortunately, that era of just keeping the stars happy. I say unfortunately, it's not unfortunate at all that area is gone because there isn't anyone waiting in the wings to steal these stars away with equally lucrative contracts. We've seen it time and again. These people leave the network that they're on and they find out very quickly that they were stars at that network, and that network and its resources poured into it made them famous. And then when they go off and try to do their own thing, they soon find out that without the star machine behind them, they're not quite the stars they thought they were.
Speaker 1: Well, Jacko, that was absolutely hopeless, and please do better next time.
Speaker 2: This is an outrage. I do not feel safe. I do not feel safe. I shouldn't joke. But yeah, obviously it's very serious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is serious.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jacko, all right, thank you for having me on.
Speaker 1: Ste Jackson is The Australian's Media Diary editor. You can read the latest on this story, as well as everything happening in the media right now, at the Australian dot com dot au