Speaker 1: Welcome, they'll wait to bait.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Good evening and thanks for your company. I'm James Macpherson with Caleb Bond and filling in for Liz Store, who's unwell. All the best, Liz. We hope you're feeling better. Is Deanika Georgio. Great to have you on the Late Debate?
Speaker 4: Beneka, Yeah, great to join the team tonight.
Speaker 1: It feels like this feels like a real invasion. Wow here, Well, because you have Denika and James at seven pm on a Sunday, and then following that is the Sunday show Down hosted by Moir, and you're not happy with having a show on Sunday before me. Now you're mustling in or most.
Speaker 5: Basically tonight, this is Denika and James plus that other bloke Taylor Pom tonight.
Speaker 3: And I got to tell you, as you think Deanika's joking, but she was really serious about that brief show.
Speaker 6: So we said no, no, it's the Late Debate.
Speaker 3: We've got a lot coming up tonight, including is there ever a good excuse for a postman not to deliver a package? We think we've found one, will show you a little later. Plus when we look at what's making news tomorrow. So sex offenders accessing the ndis putting carers at risk, and Immigration Minister Tony Burke takes his citizenship Bernanza on the road he's touring. Apparently we'll get to all of that shortly, but first I got to ask you tell me again, please, why we pay SBS to broadcast the broadcasters.
Speaker 6: Big story this week was about Virgin Airlines.
Speaker 3: What's happening with Virgin, you ask, Well, the airlines ticketing system only allows people taking pride flights to the game in lesbian Mardi Gras to book as male or female Q.
Speaker 6: SBS outrage. May day Virgin Airlines took.
Speaker 3: Off with only two genders assume the crash position. SBS think this is a terrible breach of human rights. In fact, they actually reported, and I quote the booking system which means you've got a book as a man or a woman, means some LB LGBTQ plus community members are effectively exclude from flying.
Speaker 6: Now, of course that's not true.
Speaker 3: You could just book as your biological sex and leave your identity at the door. But SBS are all over this, and so they went to Virgin with this pressing human rights issue, and you can imagine how Virgin Airlines reacted. They were incredibly apologetic and said, look, we're trying to fix it.
Speaker 6: Here's what they said.
Speaker 3: A spokesperson for Virgin told SBS News the airline was committed to creating an inclusive experience for all guests, including members of the LGBTQIA plus community. As part of this, we are working to modify the booking process to accommodate individuals who do not wish to have their gender displayed as part of their travel journey. I got to tell you, I've got a lot of sympathy for Virgin Airlines. Not only do they have to spot three Chinese warships in the Tasman, they also have to spot seventy two genders. SBS were not satisfied though, with this, because it's a bigger story, see than just Virgin, So they went to Quantas to see what's happening with you and Quantus of course apologize that their ticketing system also insists to either a man or a woman. But Quantus did say they understand the importance of this issue and they're working to fix it as a matter of priority. So now you know how to get priority at Quantus. SBS also went to Rex Airlines to find out what's going on with you guys, and Rex Airlines never replied. I suppose it's because they're kind of busy with administrators rather than gender vendors. Commercial aircraft aren't mid air clubs that exist to affirm your identity. That they're actually public transport vehicles, and sometimes they get hijacked, even used as weapons, and so having correct identification of passengers is a really important issue of all the aviation stories in the world right now. For SBS with our money to think this is the big one they need to focus on.
Speaker 6: Is just rubbish.
Speaker 1: It's amazing stuff. I'll tell you why Rex didn't respond. It's because they couldn't give two hurts to be perf I mean, this is the thing I love about Rex. When they were flying between the capital cities, they didn't have any acknowledgment of country, none of them. And you know, Rex Airlines is basically an arm of the National Party if you look at their board. So it's actually quite nice to fly with them. It's a breath the fresh air. But reading this story, right, I mean, I cannot get over the histrionic language that was used in this thing. Amy Hall was the journalist.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 1: I don't know whether she was put up to this by chief of staff or whether she actually did this off her own bat, but for him and say, let me furnish you with how this article begins. Virgin Australia has operated dedicated Pride flights to Sydney for Mardi Gras every year since twenty twenty one, and yes, this is the thing they do. They raise money for Mardi Grau, et cetera. The special services are touted by the airline as a celebration of diversity and inclusion, but a feature of Virgin Australia's booking system means some members of the LGBTQ community are effectively excluded from taking part. Despite every Vergin Australian passenger being required to select a gender and title when they book a flight, the airline does not offer any gender neutral options for either category. Customers can only choose male or female for their gender, and there is no way to select the gender neutral title mus MX, meaning that when six and gender diverse passengers make a booking with the airline, they're forced to pick an option that may not match their identity. If that's the worst thing you've got going on in your life, then you've got a pretty bloody good life.
Speaker 4: I have to tell you.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're upset that you cannot choose the prefix you want when you are booking a flight, I mean, I can't begin to imagine how.
Speaker 4: Difficult life crying is upset.
Speaker 1: It's like when people insist that they have doctor put on their plane ticket. Right, They're not an actual doctor, They've got no medical qualify and there is just a PhD.
Speaker 4: But I must be called.
Speaker 1: Doctor all the time. It doesn't matter for Hiven's sake. They're not actually asking your gender, which might be some would say a social construct. It how you feel in the world. They're asking for your sex. And there are only two sexes, male and female. And it doesn't matter what you do to the external parts of your body, the chromosomes inside you will never change. You are male or you are female. That is all they're asking for. And by the way, you see, they're looking into how to change their ticketing Systemaly, you're quite difficult. You can have all, they say. They've been looking at it since twenty twenty one. Yes, they started a working group in twenty twenty one to work out how people could buy a ticket without being a mister mus or missus. It's just real.
Speaker 5: But has anybody ever heard of the term mix MX? This was the first time I've ever heard of an.
Speaker 4: M What are you an MX?
Speaker 6: I'm James McPherson.
Speaker 4: I can quite good.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is absolutely ridiculous, is it not? Because this is Virgin tying itself in knots of guilt to accommodate a very small minority, a small portion.
Speaker 4: Of this population.
Speaker 5: Who well, what do they identify as ABCD, different parts of the alphabet on different days.
Speaker 4: Apparently mix.
Speaker 5: But what really gets me the most, and we'll talk about SBS in a moment, is of all of the priorities of airliners in this day and age, so not to delays, making sure that people get their destination from A to B on time, making sure you get your baggage on time, What about the cost of flights? No, No, of course, Virgin's priority has to be your gender, whether you are ab CD or MX, that is the priority. Now, as for the SBS, for goodness sake, going on a tour of airlines of sorts, finding out you know, what they feel, how they feel about your gender. Give me a brave because you know what, there are only two sexes in this world. And guess what, it can't be changed. It is a biological reality. So sorry SBS, sorry Virgin and the rest of them, you got it wrong.
Speaker 4: And I've got to say, Caleb, I was as shocked as you are. This working group's been going on.
Speaker 5: Since twenty and twenty it is now twenty and twenty five. How much money has been spent. I'd like to know on this working.
Speaker 4: Group and what exactly does it aim to achieve.
Speaker 6: It's been added to your ticket, no doubt it has been.
Speaker 3: Maybe the reason it's taken so long is because you know, no one can tell you how many genders there are, so no their new system.
Speaker 6: Will never be up to date, will never be adequate.
Speaker 3: But I noticed that now the reporter was very selective too, because they reported, you know, what Air New Zealand are doing. They reported what United Airlines in the US are doing, but they didn't ask Qatar or Emirates Airlines what they're doing.
Speaker 4: Don't work out why.
Speaker 1: Isn't Qatar now moving into they're actually buying into.
Speaker 5: Buying into Virgin now, So I wonder the question for Qatar. Now this is a Middle East an airline. I'm like, do you so, what are the pronouns? What can people choose on their boarding certificate?
Speaker 4: I mean they are a Middle East An airlineer.
Speaker 5: I'd like to actually know what they think about that well.
Speaker 1: And the other thing as well as you know, when you buy the ticket online and it says you can pay two or three dollars to you know, do a carbon offset on the ticket. If they just stopped all this hot air about genders, you would need to pay for the carbon offset because there would be no emissions on heir coming out of them, is what the emissions are for Heaven say, let's go over to the UK because Ramadan starts today. Of course, the Islamic festival. I'm sure you've heard of it before. Muslim's feast, so they don't feast during the day. I think they wish they were feasting during the day. They're fast during the day and then they feast in the evening for a month. And to celebrate this, the defender of the faith, the Supreme Governor of the Church of England, King Charles himself, decided that he would pack up some goods to send off for Ramadan. Here is King Charles and Queen Camilla packing dates.
Speaker 7: You are.
Speaker 1: Now, look, I don't know that i'd want King Charles to touch my date, but they tweeted packing dates at dar Jealing Express. Traditionally, dates are eaten as the first food to break the fast at sunset during Ramadan. Their Majesty's help pack dates that will be sent to local hospitals for if Tar during the holy month. And you might wonder, why is the man who took an oath when he became the king that he would maintain the settlement of the Church of England and the doctrine, worship, discipline and government thereof as by law established. Why is the man who is effectively at the top of the Anglican Church, the Church of England cow twing to Muslims in the UK right now? Well, maybe it has something to do with the fact that the UK Muslim population is nearly seven percent. Six point seven percent was what turned up in their census in twenty twenty one. That is more than double the Muslim population in Australia, which also in twenty twenty one sat at three point two percent. And in London, of course, the capital city and Greater London, the general area of London, the Muslim population accounts for fifteen percent of people. In the West Midlands, it's nine point six percent. In Yorkshire it's eight point one percent. In the Northwest it's seven point six percent. So is it any wonder that when you have such a large Muslim population, look literally double what it is in Australia. And if we're talking about fifteen percent of the population of London, I mean, that would be like I'm trying to think of the best comparison I could make. Bankstown is probably the closest I can get, even though it's closer to twenty twenty five percent in Bankstown, but imansion, Bankstown in Sydney is what London is in the UK, one of the most recognizable cities in the world. You think of England, you think of London and the population of London, fifteen percent of which is now Muslim. Is it any wonder that this bloke who's meant to be a representative of the Church of England now has to bend over backwards to look after everyone else's rule.
Speaker 3: He doesn't have to bend over backwards. But I mean, why don't they just go and replace Saint Paul's with a mosque. They might as well. Charles is meant to be the defender of the faith, he just seems very confused about which faith he's supposed.
Speaker 6: To be defending.
Speaker 3: To be tolerant of other religions, as Christianity is because it teaches that God gives us free will, doesn't mean you have to promote other religions, especially when the other religion you're promoting is diametrically opposed to the one you swore to defend. The media described this exhibition by the King and the Queen is heartwarming. Well, that's the sort of thing that's said by people who think with their emotions and reason with their feelings. You can't believe that Christianity and Islam are both true. Either one is true and one is false, or both are false. But Christianity and Islam can't both be true because they're completely contradictory. And especially at Ramadan, which King Charles, a defender of the Christian Church, describes as a holy month. Ramadan is when Muslims celebrate the fact that Mohammad received of Koran as a divine revelation, and the Koran teaches that Jesus is a man, a very good man, but just a man. He's not God in flesh, as Christianity teaches, and so these two religions are diametrically opposed. So for Charles to call Ramadan a holy month shows he either understands nothing of what it is he's supposed to defend, or, as you suggest, Caleb, maybe he's given up. He's slipped the wind and thought, well, I know which way this is going, so I'll get on board with what he believes will be the winning team. This is a real problem for the UK, and I think represents everything that's wrong with the UK because those in charge don't seem to know what they believe or what they stand for, and they're clueless about what they're supposed.
Speaker 6: To be defending. And I'll say one more thing.
Speaker 3: When he was packing those dates to send off to Muslim celebrating Ramadan, do you reckon?
Speaker 6: It occurred to him to mention.
Speaker 3: That just two weeks ago, seventy Christians were slaughtered to death in the Congo by people of well, you know who I'm talking about. I don't think he mentioned that though he's the defender of the Christian faith, but that detail probably has slipped his mind.
Speaker 4: Well, he was not going to do that.
Speaker 5: Was he was not going to call out Islam. He's not going to do any of that. And I've got to say, what on earth is a Christian king. Let's not forget he attends church services quite regularly. What on earth is a Christian king, the defender of the faith doing partaking in a Ramadan service.
Speaker 4: When a king who is a Christian.
Speaker 5: Takes part in Ramadan, he really tells you everything you need to know about where the UK is heading. And really it shows that British traditions are dead, they have gone by the wayside. When you've got the monarchy which is meant to be representing everything that Britain stands for, everything that Britain values, and you've got the king out partaking in this event, it just goes to show that this is now being favored, these multicultural events as opposed to genuine Christian values.
Speaker 4: But I also think it says a lot.
Speaker 5: About the British monarchy, which is constantly trying to reinvent itself. It's trying to modernize. When you where hip, we're young. I mean not that you can necessarily call the king and queen hip and young, but they are trying to now show this inclusivity in this new era of the monarchy. They're trying to embrace really every single festival under the sun, but as.
Speaker 4: A defender of the faith, stop packing.
Speaker 5: Dates for Ramadan for goodness sake, and start embracing your culture.
Speaker 1: You couldn't call them young. You could maybe say they were titanium hip.
Speaker 4: Well they were titanium.
Speaker 5: But you know, they're obviously trying to trying to remain relevant.
Speaker 4: But the people they're trying to be part they're trying.
Speaker 5: To remain relevant in an era where people are obviously more and increasingly questioning the role of the monarchy in society.
Speaker 4: So they're going, look, we're in clothes they were including every.
Speaker 3: Single Let me ask you a question, who are they trying to be relevant to it, to the wewsome community, the wilesome community, and.
Speaker 6: Never can to embrace them money.
Speaker 5: But that's why it shows more about where the UK is heading. Where As Caleb said, you've got you know, seven percent here, twenty percent there.
Speaker 4: They're trying to bring all these cultures together.
Speaker 3: The irony is the group they're trying to appeal to will never love them and the people who instinctively love them they're leaving out of it. This is the working class Brits who've been brought up with British tradition, with the Judeo Christian ethic as what has made great Britain great, and they're just abandoning those people.
Speaker 6: No wonder there's so much upset in the UK.
Speaker 1: Because the Church of England is considered the established church in England because it is intrinsically linked to the government and the legal system right unlike here in Australia, it is actually part of the system over there. And the queenspoke I think it was in twenty twelve about the concept of the established church in a country that now has religious diversity, and she said the purpose of defending the established church is also to say that all people are free to practice their religion. She didn't go so far as to say they're also then expecting the monarch to practice their religion along with them. Surely you acknowledge that you are the defender of the faith, the Supreme Governor of the Church of England, and so that will be that. I don't have a dog in the fight because I'm irreligious, but I would find it rather odd for a religious person who belongs to one religion to then start participating in the customs of another, Like do you think that your religion is the one true religion? Or are you saying, well, I don't know, maybe this one could be all right if you think that one's all right? Or how could you possibly be the Supreme Governor of the Church of England. Surely you believe the Church of England is it and the one and only.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's what I do agree.
Speaker 5: I'm with you when it comes to the religion aspect of it. But I just wonder people in the UK watching the king taking part in Rabadan, are they going, oh, this is really worrying. Are they going, yate terrific? We are a multicultural society. This is absolutely fantastic. But look, we've got to move on because I want to talk about Pennywong, who was once again miserably failed us on the world stage, as she has done since October seven, twenty twenty three, abandoning long standing ally in Israel and Cleveland does not have the Australian values at heart, because it's now been revealed that the Foreign Minister failed to meet with Israeli representatives on a United Nations trip last year. But let me tell you who did Pennywong meet with. Well, she met with representatives from Iran. Yes, you heard that correct, Iran as in one of the Western enemies, one of Australia's enemies. And she also met with the Palestinian authority. Now let's not forget that authority supported the October seven attacks when more than one thousand Jews were slaughtered, women were tortured.
Speaker 4: And rapes raped, and hostages were taken.
Speaker 5: Yet Pennywong some somewhat light bulb moment went off and she felt it would be appropriate to meet it, to meet them, and she also, at the same time demanded that the Jewish homeland hold its military actions against terror groups Hummas and Hezbla. Now we've got some audio of Pennywong been asked about this in set of estimates, and this is what she said.
Speaker 8: Did you have any meetings with Israel Israeli's representatives or ministers or leaders.
Speaker 9: My recollection is the Foreign Minister of Israel did not attend. Had foreign minister attended, I would have had that opportunity.
Speaker 1: Did you seek a meeting with Israel or Israel's representatives.
Speaker 9: My counterpart didn't attend.
Speaker 8: I mean, I think promised to Natao, who was there. The Israeli permanent representative is obviously there.
Speaker 9: Or Senator I would usually engage with counterparts.
Speaker 4: I mean the phone, the phone.
Speaker 5: What exactly were you looking at, Pennywong when you were looking down your phone? Where you're looking back at your calendar to find out who you met with on that certain date. Now, remember when Pennywong called for restraints. Was it restraint enough to catch up with Iran? With the Palestinian authority? Was it restraint enough to see the bodies of the Bibas children in caskets being paraded through the streets due and.
Speaker 4: With a baying mob around them. This is just I'm actually quite offended.
Speaker 5: I think this is once again another example of Pennywong selling out our values for votes on the world stage. Iran is our enemy. Let's not forget that Iran is the enemy of the world. The Palestinian authority supported the terrorist attacks, and Pennywong wants herself shows us to be completely out of depth on the world stage.
Speaker 3: At some point, you've got to ask yourself, is the foreign Minister of this country and national security risk when she would prefer to meet with Iran, who are the major sponsors of terror in the Middle East. At the time she met with Iran, they were helping their proxies Hamas and hes Beal a fight Israel, the only liberal democracy in the Middle East and incidentally our ally. And yet as I said, she preferred to meet with Iran than with anyone from Israel. And so the other question you've got to ask is whose interests does Pennywong actually represent as our foreign minister. I certainly wouldn't suggest they are mainstream Australian interests, and nor would I suggest that they are Australian security interests, especially when you consider that the Director of ASIO recently said the biggest problem in this country now in terms of national security is racism directed towards a particular race, and that is towards Jews in this country. Penniwong is only making it worse by clearly showing the hand of this federal labor government that they are very much supportive.
Speaker 6: Of Israel's enemies.
Speaker 3: There are now so many reasons to ditch this federal labor government.
Speaker 6: I'm losing count of them.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I'm glad you started counting in the first place. I didn't think that was even necessary to be. We're just liveing in it, right, But I mean, it's just piss poor diplomacy, isn't it. If you're going to go to the UN and say, we believe that there must be Palestinian statehood, and as she has said in her speech, you know this is not just you know, a means to an end anymore. This is a central part of achieving piece, is that we will have Palestinian statehood. And you're willing to meet with Iran, and you're willing to meet with the Palestinian authority. Do you not owe it to Israel to go to them and say, look, this is what I believe, this is what I'm going to say. You've given that courtesy to the people who are clearly going to agree with you. You won't give that courtesy to the people who will disagree with you, and see you just rock up and will blindside them when I give the speech. Now that excuse she gives, Oh, well, their foreign minister didn't attend. Therefore, you know I couldn't possibly talk to anyone else that's like me saying, well, you know, I had a fine to pay, and I called up and that the bloke whose name was on the piece of paper wasn't there, and then there were whiteing new well, I couldn't speak to the bloke who I was meant to talk to. I'm sure there's someone else around, net Yah who was there, et cetera. She could have made every attempt to talk to them, to meet with him, and she didn't do it. Maybe just a little bit, Wong knows in her heart of hearts that this is a very hard message to sell. She is selling the message of the labor left. I'm not saying she doesn't believe in it. She does believe in it. But she is selling the message of the labor left that parts of her own party have major problems with. And she can't if sorry, she can't even face up to defend her own point of view to an ally.
Speaker 3: Seriously, don't forget when she went to Israel, she refused to go and visit the scene of the October seven attack as well. So she's got a history of avoiding things that she would rather just not acknowledge. And you pointed it out, Danika, watching that vision from her Incenter estimates where she's answering questions while well on her phone. Just for the stain for the process for having to be accountable to the Australian public as foreign minister for your behavior is just quite short.
Speaker 5: Also if you are a Jewish Australian to watch the Foreign Minister out there on her phone like this, more engaged in whatever's going on there than actually addressing what were serious questions put to her by Dave Sharma. As a Jewish Australian, you want to know the answer. You want to know why she was not available, apparently to meet with Israel on this important trip. It is another betrayal of Jewish Australians by this labor government.
Speaker 6: She was on her phone reading El Jazeira.
Speaker 1: Or or perhaps like our colleague Joe Hildebrand, she was sitting there playing candy crap. I'm not sure which would be worse, to be honest, but you know, I can't meet with someone because my counterpar Please come on, you think we're going to buy that one? While we're talking about Penny Wong, she's fronted up to send it estimates. Of course, as you just saw, and we also got a bit of more information about what's been going on with these Chinese warships. Now we know that they were floating down the east coast of Australia last week. Then they had a live artillery exercise on Friday that we learned of through Virgin Airlines because they were flying overhead and then phoned it through to Air Services Australia who then phoned it through to the ADF. And then an hour later the New Zealand military picked up on it and they phoned it through to the ADF. And at no point during this did we Australia. There are only one hundred kilometers offshore, We didn't know what was going on. So we heard from Air Services Australia at senate estimates the other day, well yesterday the ADF rocked up. Admiral David Johnston corroborated this version of events that the way we learned about it was by a Virgin pilot flying overhead, hearing a message from the Chinese ships and sending it back.
Speaker 7: Take a look there was the notification was that call that had made from when the firing window open, and that in our view is inadequate notification as.
Speaker 8: Well, that's not inadequate it's after it started.
Speaker 7: The range and the radios depend on where the aircraft is and where the transmitter is, so there may have been earlier calls made from the vessels that the Virgin aircraft had not heard.
Speaker 8: I understand that. But what's the value of a notification if it's not received, if it's not heard, And he.
Speaker 1: Is Penny Wong essentially suggesting, yes, there it was notice. No, there wasn't because we relied on the Virgin pilot to realize it. But you know it could have been done a bit better.
Speaker 8: So we were provided advanced notes.
Speaker 9: Both statements are correct.
Speaker 8: Is not the same thing to say we receive notice and there was no advanced notice provided, which is what you have said compared to what the Prime Minister has said.
Speaker 9: So it is correct that time I gave notice. We have issues with the timeframe around that and the channel, and we have expressed that to them.
Speaker 8: How did they give notice if we only learned the exercises after they had commenced.
Speaker 1: It's a very good question, Senator Patterson. Look put it this way. If I decide I'm going to come round to your place for dinner, and I tell you five minutes after I walk through the front door that I've come to your place for dinner. Would you consider that notice? No, I think most of us would think notice would be to call up and say, hey, are you free for dinner tonight? Not apparently, when the Chinese do things. As a reminder, this is what the Prime Minister said last Friday.
Speaker 2: Well, China issued, in accordance with practice, an alert that it would be conducting these activities, including the potential.
Speaker 6: Use of live fire.
Speaker 2: It is the case that the notice was given. When that occurs, airlines are notified and stay out of the area. Air Services Australia also has been informed.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a blatant lie. They didn't give notice that they would be doing it. They were already doing it. We got notice quote unquote afterwards. They were simply telling us what they were doing. And yet Wong and the Defense Minister Richard Miles today were still running interference for the Prime Minister. No, no, no, he got it right.
Speaker 9: So it is correct that time I gave notice. We have issues with the timeframe around that and the channel and we have expressed that to them.
Speaker 8: The Prime Minister made clear that there was a notification from the Chinese, but in the same breath made clear that that notification was inadequate.
Speaker 1: I mean, please inadequate. It came after the fact, mister Miles. Miles went on to say that it wasn't a real incident. I mean, I don't know what a real incident is. And he also let us know that there has been an Australian ship shadowing these Chinese ships, him as Steward. So we and these things that are now down near South Australia, they will be circumnavigating the country, they'll be up around w A Nix, but we've had a ship shadowing them, and we didn't know this was going on. We find out after the fact, and we still a week later have Wog and Males standing there saying notice was given, notification was given? How do they think we believed that?
Speaker 5: Is there anybody in labor right now? One that has any idea about national security? And two is there anybody in labor who has actually any idea what's going.
Speaker 4: On right now? Full stop? Because what's clear.
Speaker 5: Is the left doesn't know what the right's doing, and the right doesn't know what the left's doing.
Speaker 4: We now know that there was no warning.
Speaker 5: Firstly, China gave no warning of these live fire drills, which tells you everything you need to know about Beijing's contempt for this. And they've got our poor old Elbow, the handsome boy from Australia exactly where they want the handsome boy.
Speaker 3: So this interrupt did you notice that, Elbow said, though he said, oh, they said there was the potential of live fire.
Speaker 4: There was a potential.
Speaker 5: But I was just going to say, then we've got then it was alerted by a Virgin Australia passenger jet. And then you've got Elbow the other day on Friday, mumbling, fumbling, bumbling with his usual ah ah, basically saying that China acted in accordance with practice, contradicting what we've got from the Chief of the Defense Force. And then the most hilarious part out of all this, and this is very serious, actually not funny.
Speaker 4: They trot Richard Miles.
Speaker 5: Out today to do the television rounds, and Miles says, well, we don't actually know if they did conduct a live exercise. I mean, for goodness sake, is there anybody in labor that could possibly provide Australia with a clear answer.
Speaker 4: Do you know what's going on? Are we under threat, and if so, what are you going to do about it? Because they're going round and rounding circles.
Speaker 5: I mean, can you imagine if this happened in China's waters, If an Australian we conducted live fire exercises in Chinese.
Speaker 4: Waters, it would be a disaster. They would be coming after us.
Speaker 5: Yet the Prime Minister, Miles, Wong and the rest of the clown brigade are just bobbing it off.
Speaker 3: To each other and answer your question, is there anyone in Labor there is? It's Kim Beasley, but unfortunately he's long gone.
Speaker 1: Arguably the greatest Labor prime minister we never have had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I mean, this thing just gets worse. Right, So you mentioned Richard Miles, the Defense Minister. I mean he said that Australia was providing unprecedented surveillance of these ships, and.
Speaker 6: I thought he was joking. But it is unprecedented.
Speaker 3: It's unprecedented to be surveilling ships and you learn that they fired live rounds after the fact through second channels.
Speaker 6: That is unprecedented.
Speaker 3: No other country does surveillance like the Labor government does surveillance. But it gets even worse than that. He then says he did not accept that New Zealand should have told the Australian Defense Force that there was live fire being conducted between our two countries sooner than they did. It was like what ninety minutes after the event that eventually New Zealand got around to telling us, And Richard Marles says, no, no, that's not a problem.
Speaker 6: I would have thought it was. And then he went further again.
Speaker 3: And when journalists pointed out the obvious if this is an exercise, what would have happened if it was for real? And I don't accept that there's any comparison between that. If it was a real situation, it will be completely different, which begs a question in what way?
Speaker 4: How?
Speaker 3: And so this just goes from bad to worse and we look like an absolute joke of a nation. The United States, who are trusting us with their military secrets, remember regarding nukes and subs, must be watching this fiasco thinking who the hell have we gotten to bed with regarding it.
Speaker 5: Also, God help us, in the event of an actual war, we would be screwed. If nobody knows what's actually going on with a live fire exercise.
Speaker 6: Well we would know after we were after I.
Speaker 4: Mean they would be on our lands attacking us, and then Albo.
Speaker 6: Would go wead office.
Speaker 4: We weren't given notice. I think that we're going to be attacked.
Speaker 1: Well it was it was it last out of the night before I said, we find out because the local Aboriginal people in w A put a couple of drones up and worked out that they've been on land for four days. But you know, you'd say, what must the US think of this? What do you think China thinks of this? I mean, they have proven the point right. All they had to do was send three ships down the coast, not even in the Australian waters international wards.
Speaker 6: They haven't done anywhere.
Speaker 1: They haven't done anything legally wrong. But that's sort of beside the point, because we know what happens when we fly around international airspace over the South China Sea. We get fleas thrown at us. But that's by the bye. But China and g must be sitting there going my god. We have scared the willies out of the people of Australia and we have their government bending over backwards to pretend that there is nothing wrong with this. They have with those three ships, proven the point that we will do anything to keep China happy. And I think that's probably the most important part of all of this is that they've just shown we can do whatever we want. There are no consequences for.
Speaker 3: Three Chinese ships in the Tasman and it's at thee ALBERSI who is all at sea?
Speaker 4: Did see we did that?
Speaker 5: Now we've got some really exciting news about Sydney's Woman of the Year has been announced. Now you might be at home thinking which woman has been given such an esteemed honor to be named Sydney local Woman of the Year.
Speaker 4: Well, let me tell you.
Speaker 5: Actually the honor has been bestowed upon a biological man who identifies as a woman.
Speaker 4: That's right. Their name is Brianna Skinner, who.
Speaker 5: Has handed the award today by Independent MP Alex Greenwich, who said, quote Brianna's own experience of transitioning from male to female highlighted to her the discrimination and bureaucratic discrepancies that outdated New South Wales laws imposed on trans and gender diverse people. Well, how wonderful is that? Firstly, I would ask are there any women in the state of New South Wales? Are we in a drought of women?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Apparently they couldn't actually find any biological women for this exercise, So you're telling me that the best person for local Women of the Year was not a woman at all, in fact a biological man. And as a woman myself, I think this is just yet another example of the Leff's attempt to erase women in favor of men. And let's talk about Alex Greenwich. He's doing this because of his self id laws.
Speaker 4: Which he rushed through. They rushed through parliament in New South Wales last year under.
Speaker 5: The guise of equality, whereby if you are a man and you identify as a woman, you wear a dress, you don't have to go on legally change a birth certificate. You can just waltz into a woman's chage room or waltz into a woman's toilet with little girls and women hanging around, no problems.
Speaker 4: That's perfectly legal.
Speaker 5: But that is where we are now in the state of New South Wales, and quite frankly, it's offensive.
Speaker 1: I think we have proven once and for all that yes, in fact, men can do everything better, including being A war happens while a bus. That's where we've come to network, giving all of that women's awards, where it all goes to men.
Speaker 4: I mean that's true, right.
Speaker 3: Misogyny used to say that, you know, men are better than women. Now we say men are better women exactly.
Speaker 6: That's ultimate misogyny, right.
Speaker 3: But I mean think about this, right, So in New South Wales, the Woman of the Year is a biological man who was at the forefront of having men recognized as women. I mean that is just astonishing. Alex Grimwich said that this person is a trail blazer. Well, actually, this person is not a trailblazer at all. I mean, back in when was it twenty fifteen, Bruce Jenner was Glamour Magazine's Woman of the Year. In twenty twenty three, the representative of Portugal and the representative of the Netherlands at the Miss Universe contests were men identifying as women. This is not trail blazing, except in the fact that it's absolutely burning every woman in New South Wales. It's trailblazing in that regard. But there's something else going on here as well, because Alex Greenich was keen to point out that not only had this person helped to change the law making it easy to self identify, but this person is the world Chile eating well competed at the World Chile Eating Championships, and I'm reading the pross thinking and who cares? And then Alex Greenwich points out interestingly it was held in South Carolina, which he then says is part of the US Bible Belt. And here was Brianna proudly representing Australia and trans women. So it gives you a little insight into Alex Greenwich's priorities here. He likes the fact that this person helped change the laws and also stuck it to the Bible Belt by being a proud transgendered person over there in that competition.
Speaker 1: Goodnesspection. I'll tell you what though, And Brianna Skinner, on the back of winning this award could also go for a job at the University of the Sunshine Coast because they've advertised a position for I've got it written down here and I've completely lost where is it in the engineering professor of engineering one hundred and eighty six grand a year for this role. But it has been reserved by the university exclusively for women, including transgender women. So there you go, so you can get that.
Speaker 3: You can be I want to say that one more time, because that did not make any.
Speaker 1: Sense has been reserved for women, including transgender.
Speaker 6: Women, so it's not exclusively for women exactly.
Speaker 1: You can be a male and get the job effectively. How ridiculous that a university could even post a job and they're allowed to do it legally under antidiscrimination laws in Queensland because you can discriminate as long as it's to end discrimination allegedly. But you put up a prestigious job like this would say it's full women only. I don't understand how that is actually legal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're going to have to go to a break, but stick around. When we come back, we'll look at what's making news tomorrow, including Immigration Minister Tony Burke takes his citizenship extravaganza on the road.
Speaker 6: All of that and more in just a moment. Welcome back. A lot of things making news tomorrow.
Speaker 3: So let's look at the papers, Daniki, you've got the Daily Telegraph.
Speaker 5: I've got a Daily Telegraph front page of the telling tomorrow. Look, this is going to annoy a lot of people at home caring for creeps. Two six hundred and ninety five crooks and sex fiends are on the ndis. Yes, you heard it correct, Violent criminals and possibly terrorists and sex offenders are accessing NDIS services, with four hundred and ten classified as high risk. A Senate Estimates Committee heard convicted criminals are eligible for access to support like anyone else, but Senator Linda Reynolds raised concerns about the safety of NDO workers, citing the case of rapist Thomas Hoffer, who advertised on Facebook.
Speaker 4: For young female support workers.
Speaker 5: This is another nail in the coffin for the National Disability Insurance Scheme. Now, let's not forget that this scheme was originally designed for the most severely disabled Australians. It absolutely had a purpose. But now not only is it a behemoth, not only is there about forty percent of participants with autism now on it, it already costs more than Medicare.
Speaker 4: It's also going to soon outstrip Defense.
Speaker 5: But now we have a situation where creeps, high risk criminals are also being able to access the NDIS. Bill Shorten left it in a mess. He's left it now to the next minister in charge. All the very best, because this is costing taxpayers and arm and a leg and we're funding these people to be on the Ndiica I.
Speaker 6: Can just ask a simple question.
Speaker 3: If these people can't be trusted not to assault or attack an NDIS paid for care, why are they not still in prison? How were they released back into the community. It's not just NDIS workers. Is anybody safe from these people?
Speaker 1: And I think that's the point, right, But because you can't legitimately say that a convicted criminal can't have access to the same healthcare as everyone else, because if you follow that to its logical conclusion, you take all government services away from anyone who's been convicted. But if someone is that much of a risk to a healthcare worker, why are they walking around in the world. I mean, surely we are admitting that there is a problem with their urgers or whatever their particular issue might be. It's not safe for anyone. It's not save for an NDIIS worker. I don't think it's safe for you or me or anyone walking down the street, is it exactly?
Speaker 3: Let's go to Tasmania where the Mercury has an interesting front paid story about a couple of ferries that have been ordered by the Tasmanian government.
Speaker 6: New lists claim for spirit, what's that helped me with my Roman numerals?
Speaker 8: Four?
Speaker 6: In Leith reads the headline.
Speaker 3: The state government has failed to rule out leasing the Spirit of Tasmania to the Scottish government as a floating refuge camp for displaced Ukrainians.
Speaker 6: Now, this is a great story.
Speaker 3: The Tasmanian government ordered, at a cost of nine hundred million dollars to taxpayers, a couple of ferries to transport passengers and freight across Bass Strait. Now, the first of those ferries, the one in question, were supposed to arrive for the people of Tasmania at last year and start working.
Speaker 6: Except they ordered the ferry, they.
Speaker 3: Forgot to build a port that was capable of taking the ferry, so it's been sitting in Scotland and the port in Tasmania won't be ready until twenty twenty seven, three years after taxpayers paid for this thing. So they've got this ferry, it's all been paid for, it's sitting in Scotland.
Speaker 6: They're thinking what should we do for it?
Speaker 3: So they're going to lease it out potentially, and the government are not denying it as a floating refuge camp.
Speaker 6: And then after being used for three years to.
Speaker 3: House refugees floating off the coast of wherever, then it will arrive in what sort of condition is it going to be in when it gets to Tasmania.
Speaker 6: Pretty secondhand, I would.
Speaker 1: Tell you you've done a great exercise for the world. I remember we talked about a story. It must have been a year ago, if not more about precisely this sort of idea where they were going to float barges off the coast of.
Speaker 6: The UK because the prisons were over fare.
Speaker 1: Exactly and put people on them. Now we're finally going to have floating refuge e camps. Look, look, I know that the UK is a small place, Scotland is a small place, and they have a lot of people packed into it. But are you really telling me it's so bad that the only option now to put refugees is on a boat off the coast. Like I know, you might be trying to escape Ukraine or wherever because there's war torn et cetera. But if someone said to you, oh, yeah, you're just going to have to float off the coast on what's meant to be a cargo ferry for a few years, I reckon, if I bloody get off and sweet, I would jump.
Speaker 5: I would literally jump off the and I would say see as later. I wouldn't want to spend years on a well, what sort of condition is that boat?
Speaker 1: He?
Speaker 4: As you said, James, I just think this is a bizarre story. Seriously, But what's going on in Tasmania. They've had this sitting there for how many years? For goodness sakend they've never used this vote?
Speaker 3: Well, I guess it's going to be sitting there for a few more years while they build a port. So they're trying to figure how do we get some of our money back? Let's lease it as a Kevin Costner was ahead of his time with remember that movie water World.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, he foresaw all of this card.
Speaker 1: It's probably in the Simpsons as well at some point.
Speaker 6: Definitely in the Simpsons.
Speaker 1: As it comes true, Let's go to the front of the Old Tomorrow, where it says Tony's Minister for New Voters takes Labour's citizenships bring national Hundreds of new citizens in Perth have been sworn in, schooled about electoral boundaries, and funneled parson enroll to vote booth as Homer Fairs, Minister Tony Burke takes his audacious push to certify thousands of new Australians to the state that could decide the election.
Speaker 6: Well, well, well you know this.
Speaker 1: Isn't about drumming up vote no or the election, is it.
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Those AEC staff just happened to be there, and they just happened to be telling them about electoral boundaries and how to enroll the vote.
Speaker 5: Complen It's a bit like where's Wally? Where will Tony end up tomorrow? On his Oprah Winfrey to, I call the Oprah Winfrey to you get a citizenship, and you get a citizenship.
Speaker 4: Where will Burke end up tomorrow?
Speaker 5: Anyone's guess which ceremony will have the pleasure of Tony Burke?
Speaker 4: Who knows?
Speaker 1: Indeed? And remember, of course he asked that these things be scheduled when he could again, and I mean, he can't pretend that it's not just a vote grabbing into his na. Now. The story on the front of the Yours Labour's MP Labor and P sorry sinizsos to charmers, funny, isn't it. Jim Chalmers has launched a pre election campaign blitz in vulnerable New South Wales Hunter and Central Coast seats as he answers the calls of Labor and PAS, concerned that surging support for Peter Dutton and Anthony Alberizi's unpopularity will cost them their seats. And we had polling recently. I think it was you Guv that said three seats in the Hunter would flip and we're talking about coal mining territory here would flip from Labor.
Speaker 6: To the Libs.
Speaker 1: They are seriously worried at this point. We've had the Prime Minister this week in Victoria campaigning in a seat that they currently hold by a margin of seven point six percent. I mean, what does that tell you about how worried that.
Speaker 3: The big thing about this is that Labor don't trust Anthony Albanzi to sell the government's economic message, so.
Speaker 6: They're using charmers to do it.
Speaker 4: That is big.
Speaker 3: We're going to go to a break when we come back. Is there ever a good reason for a posting to not deliver your package? We think we found one that's coming up in a moment.
Speaker 6: Welcome back.
Speaker 3: But we all get pretty upset when Australia posts don't deliver. But Danika, we may have found a poster. You had a good excuse.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's always very annoying when you know you're expecting that post and that mail and the mail and then you go, you get those delivery attempted little letters in your in your letter box. But I've got to say this could possibly be the best excuse yet because one ossie has taken to Reddit. As you can see here, this is what they got in the mail. It says, I'm sorry I couldn't get to the door the curlews were losing their well word I probably, I don't know I can say at this time of the day. But basically this person has gotten a response from the homeowner, and I've said quote the curlews in question. Here are the pair of bushstone curlews that nest.
Speaker 4: In our yard.
Speaker 5: They won't actually bite, but they get pretty fierce when they have chicks.
Speaker 4: Now I've done a bit of googling.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you two are familiar with these birds, these curlews, but they look like quite savage beats.
Speaker 4: The probably big this big wing, the wing span like this, I've got a big beak. I don't blame them. I would have been scared too.
Speaker 1: Now I think you're quite right.
Speaker 6: I did a story.
Speaker 1: What are we being to in? Yes you can what are we I'm going to give you an insight into television I'm being told my yes.
Speaker 4: You can, what can we do? I want to do it. I want to do it on the front page.
Speaker 5: It was basically that we were allowed to say that the delivery attempted.
Speaker 4: The curlews were losing their shits.
Speaker 1: Oh thank god. I wish I'd been able to deliver that news. But I did a story years ago when I was a court reporter about a post he who's been terrorized by this dog all the time, and he had to bloody throw things at the dog and carried on way went to court and they said he had a vendetta against all dogs. But post He's put up with this stuff all the time.
Speaker 6: It has to be said.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you a bloke who deserves some thanks. Scott Labido. He is an artist in New York City. You might remember him last year for this stuff he was doing with the Donald Trump around New York City, these signs he was putting up. Well, he has had a day in court because they've caught him putting fake flowers in the front of speed cameras. He says he's part of the beautification squad. He's just getting around shoving these things in speed cameras, doing the world a favor so they don't get caught out. I don't think he should be chad. He should be given a reward. He should be given not a fine, but actually a bit of money in hand.
Speaker 6: Come and beautify Sydney exactly.
Speaker 1: We should club together. Everyone has about a spinning fine club together and send this man a gift because he is truly doing the Lord's work.
Speaker 3: Please come and beautify the Lane Cove Tunnel. I would be eternally grateful. That's it from us, stick around. Coming up is the readependenty Show.
Speaker 6: Good Night,