Speaker 1: We just jumped straight into the eight.
Speaker 2: End of day eleven here in Paris, and the action rolls on once again, joined by two time Olybyan a.
Speaker 1: World champ James Magnuson and made Fella. I'll tell you now, not just a great journal, but a great blow.
Speaker 2: Love's company over here Crash credit gay, crashy game.
Speaker 3: I thought it must have been one. It nice to be here.
Speaker 2: You win your company boys crash a bit of Coueensland at fourteen year old Arissa True which the gold medal in the skateboarding our youngest olibya of all time.
Speaker 3: Yet look, I got to admit, no one thought they would ever beat Sandy Morgan's record of being just older than fourteen when she won gold in a relay of nineteen fifty six. That people put them to stand forever. But Mannie and Michell grade nine at school and you win a gold medal. I made you coming back. I had you where you've been at the Olympics. So I when a gold what have you been up to?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: It's extraordinary? But what did it say about pressure? I mean the fact that she was as cool as you like in that last run. It was almost if she was insulated from pressure. And you know early in the day, as you said, we had the Boomers, didn't.
Speaker 4: We We did the boomers.
Speaker 3: Boomers up against Serbia.
Speaker 1: We're a powerhouse.
Speaker 4: Sigh.
Speaker 2: We led it by twenty four points at once at one point of the game, got ridden down when Paddy Mill scored right on full time to take you.
Speaker 1: To extra time.
Speaker 2: We lost in ninety five to ninety And I'll tell you what it is we spect about this performance song they're aside the boom was in my opinion, in my opinion, that are very good underdogs and that's why they started so well.
Speaker 1: But the moment they got twenty four points clear, they took the gas.
Speaker 3: And what you were saying about pressure very crumbled. Let's be canned about it. And a couple of hours later, a fourteen year old comes out and was absolutely nerveless.
Speaker 4: Probably the two contrasting methods and Olympic Games.
Speaker 5: You've got the blissful ignorance of youth yep, where the moment foremost is an acknowledged because it's so out of the realm of possibilities for a fourteen year old. And then you've got an overthinker of an experienced player who's been in the NBA coming back to Olympic Games and understanding the gravity of the situation and not being able to handle it but out at the moment.
Speaker 2: Pretty much all about tracks. So we're going to our five to one boys for crash. Now five to one most favorite track and field athletes of all the time ludis number five, Crash.
Speaker 3: We'll all go Michael Johnson, number five from the United States of America. Two hundred meters and four hundred meters, master of those things, will give you the four hundred. His record still stands. I've got to say, what's the most endearing character, col I'm.
Speaker 4: Going a story on that.
Speaker 3: You get into that Carl Lewis at for the Indomitable Showman Olympic Medals really needs an explanation. If you haven't got him on your list, I reckon you've got the wrong list. Number three is a story. I love Bob Beeman, who put together the single greatest performance in the history of athletics, the standout performance when he in long jump in Mexico. He beat the world record by twenty three inches. Now, if you beat a world record in long jump by that, people say, hey, wow, they beat it all that way. He beats it by that. It was measured by a steel pole which had a washer on it, and they would move the washer up. But guess what happened. The washer fell off the end of the pole. It was that line. He was so excited by it that when he got out of the pit he started breathing it randomly and just was his whole body almost melted. It was extraordinary. It took Mike Powell to catch him up a decade or so ago, but that was just that's a great story. You're saying, Bolt, what can you say? And it wasn't just his one hundred hundred hundred, it was what he brought to the cave. He would go up in the press box after he won a hundred and look at Bloke stories. The guy from the Jamaican Gleaner would be typing and he'd say, do you want to know to quote?
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 6: He was great at the Central Coast Mariners as well. That's right. The first time he felt his father. You tripped over the wall. You always yeah, you can't be.
Speaker 4: Good at everything.
Speaker 3: Crash. That's right.
Speaker 1: Listen Joey's commentary.
Speaker 3: Job jo your Facial series it was you meant that didn't? No, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, And number one the drum roll. Look, Jesse Owen's the great black American spreader. He set three world records in forty five minutes one afternoon at a carnival. You know, the one hundred two hundred long. I mean, that's just mind blowing to pack at the SIGs a day.
Speaker 4: How do you do that?
Speaker 1: Lung busters?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, back in the day where they were lungbusters in an era where black men were treated really poorly. He had no sponsors. How did he do it? I couldn't contemplate putting anyone ahead of him as number one after what he went through. Of course, he won in the shadow of Adult Hitler in Germany. You think of the pressure a black man he had to raise money by racing horses and cars. His story was absolutely damn busting. He's one of the athletes stretches beyond athleticism. So he was my clear number one. James magnuson Jets.
Speaker 5: Number five A. You're going to see my list. Heavily influenced by the Sydney Olympics. That was the first Olympics I ever remember watching. Of course I was young and impressionable at the time, so heavy influence here, and you're going to see some generational differences, I'm sure between the three of us. Number five Kathy Freeman the race of a lifetime, the race of the Olympics, the race of the decade, century, whatever you want to call it. That four hundred meters in Sydney, and she did it with the full suit as well, which just added that little bit of extra pressure lit.
Speaker 1: The colroot.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Number four Maurice Screen, again young and impressionable at the Sydney Olympics. I remember the swagger of Marie Screen when he walked out. He had the big earrings, he was jacked up. He won one hundred meters in Sydney and I was just mesmerized by him.
Speaker 1: Well, I'd say that what was at that day at the hundred right.
Speaker 2: So he finishes and he's strutting her out, crowds going mad. He pulls his spikes off and the crowd anticipation. Yeah, and he throws me into the crowd.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think they realized this spot.
Speaker 4: I got my number three from that same game. Marion Jones. She was the darling of track at the time.
Speaker 5: I just remember the winning margin one hundred meters at the Sydney Olympics.
Speaker 4: She was a beautiful runner, beautiful person.
Speaker 5: Obviously things came a bit undone towards the end of the career.
Speaker 2: But I'll tell the first thing that came up done. Did you see the husband or the boyfriend? Honestly, he's got like a billion bag.
Speaker 4: I think that's so broader undone in the end.
Speaker 3: But she spent six months in jail, didn't she.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that doesn't affect you.
Speaker 3: You're comfortable with that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Me serious?
Speaker 1: Like you?
Speaker 3: You you'll she'll come.
Speaker 4: I go, yeah, I go a athletic performance. Yeah, yeah, yeah. My number two, Michael Johnson, the robot.
Speaker 5: Loved his technique, loved those massive biceps and shoulders as.
Speaker 4: He came around the corner.
Speaker 5: And my number one, you sain't bolt the triple triple one hundred, two hundred and.
Speaker 4: Four by one at three Olympics may never be done again. I believe the greatest athlete in history. You met him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've had a.
Speaker 4: Couple of nights in this sauce with you saying, yeah, Also, what tell me.
Speaker 8: Something about I can't tell you this story is I'm told maybe he's bigger than my personality, I think you say, and Bob probably doesn't left the finger to do many things in life anymore.
Speaker 4: But he's a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: But he also comes to a group of about five m Jamaican bokes, so you don't get used in on his own.
Speaker 4: You get us and his crew a lot of fun. I'd say, small docs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: My number five, Michael Johnson, until it was funny about Johnson said that he was He actually turned his palms up and he'd run like that should and your arm they say that your arm length, did say ship your your stride and it was all that shuffling stide.
Speaker 1: It was so different everybody else. Ray Martin classes.
Speaker 2: It was the worst interview he's ever done. He came out for the Goodwill Games. He said he was in a testing mood start with. And then Ray broadly not personally asked you about the impact of performance him drugs and athletics. Uh, he took it personally and things got a it's a it's a really tough watch.
Speaker 1: It's pretty hard talk.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: My number four s J.
Speaker 2: Booker, who was represented the USSR in Pole vol Booker was Ukrainian just an amazing, really make good look and charismatic guy. As I've said before, Us is habitat but a Ukrainian hero.
Speaker 4: But what's really.
Speaker 2: Interesting he moved into politics and after moving into politics, at.
Speaker 1: The moment, he's enduring at the moment a very difficult time.
Speaker 2: He's been accused of being a basically a bit of a students for the Russian government.
Speaker 3: So interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we might give back down.
Speaker 3: She only made won one goal, one Olympic goal, but World Championships he cleaned up manage one.
Speaker 1: You say volt number three, I can't add anything more than U Blokes did. Number two.
Speaker 2: Edwin Moses, the greatest four hundred men hurdler, just moved like just so smooth.
Speaker 1: Is there a part of event in athletics and the four hundred hurdles?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 5: I think that energy is on the lactic as said, plus having to jump over the hurdles in that last tray boy.
Speaker 2: Staff number one is Jesse Allens because I think, like Muhammad Ali, there's some people that transcend sport and to do it at the Berlin Olympics, at the Nazi Olympics, Hitler's Olympics and really shove it up the ass of that, so shout out the backside of the nuts said, and what's really that there's one.
Speaker 1: Of my favorite stories and sport around that.
Speaker 2: The iron is the irony is he won one of those gold medals in this revolutionary new shoe spike invented by these two young brothers who were Germans, Adolf Dassler and Rudolf Dassler. Now what happened after that was really really interesting. The Dassler boot was famous worldwide. Rudolf got conscripted to go to the war Fort World Lee two. He was actually a prisoner of warflte wife.
Speaker 1: From the Allies.
Speaker 2: When he came out, he was very knocked around, as you'd imagine, and he believed that his brother Adolph had conspired to get him into the war. So they fell out horrendously. So what he said, he said, I'm going to bury the Dasla brand. He went across the river and stood gut started a brand called Puma. Wow.
Speaker 4: So wo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really funny if you look till the day both of them died, they were always trying to want the one at for each other.
Speaker 1: You understand that it had also changed his name to Addie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was that name was a couple of the fair stigmas, so he became Addie Dass dassla yeah till they died. As you look at nineteen seventy World Cup final in soccer, as it's about to kick off, Palais tastes his Puma boot off and relayses, it's.
Speaker 4: It's great, it's just on spikes.
Speaker 5: He would have seen the bronze medal as Fred Curley in the one hundred meters so leading into this game, she was sponsored by Assex, signing deal for two million usd per year. Fred Curley Bruns medal. Let's got to the trials this year the US Olympic trials decided he didn't like the feel of the spikes, so wore Nike and they bore up his contract for two million dollars.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's what I'll say to young footballers. Don't don't take the cash.
Speaker 2: Okay to wear the where, the boot, the suit, your feet, they're all very very different.
Speaker 5: Now, may I wanted to ask you something about We were talking yesterday about Miami Fox and I noticed you got a little bit emotional.
Speaker 4: We're talking about her relationship with Jess and her gold medal. Can you delve into that a bit for me, missile.
Speaker 2: Of course I'm a parent first of all. Yeah, parent, Yeah, you understand how proud you would be, but also to be a parent of two kids that are in professional sport and the extra complexity that brings. Now when you're when you're a parent and your your children professional sport, you don't you just don't get any clear ee.
Speaker 1: There's always one that's up and one that's down. Is always the way you're looking. Ones having a great day, the ones.
Speaker 4: Having a bad day.
Speaker 3: It's for pit.
Speaker 2: It is just so tough, like there was there was one a funny well, I give you the best example, right, My two boys last year played each other at Mudge Newcastle versus mainly Mudget.
Speaker 1: It was special for us as my mum was.
Speaker 2: My mother and my grandmother and mudgie girls. My grandmother was a public event and so it was really nice.
Speaker 1: I thought, my god, too, you.
Speaker 2: Did this occasion for the family and they're playing against each other, and everywhere I went they were like, okay, who's going to win now?
Speaker 4: Now? For me, it was pissed tape.
Speaker 2: But I was saying, I've already read the script. It's going to go into golden point, it's going to end up a draw. Well, it went into Golden Point, ended up thirty two strut.
Speaker 4: He was unbelievable.
Speaker 2: But what happened, Crash is that Jack probably had his best game in first grade and Cooper had one of as many stinkers.
Speaker 3: Right, he says, with the incredible.
Speaker 2: That Jack played a great game, Cooper struggled, and they both come off together, right, and they said, come and get a photo, and they I've got you know, look, I've got got his year on my phone, you know. And there they are, and how they get there, we'll show it. There they are standing together a full time because Jack's he's beaming yeah, and Cooper's got a real strange smile. But I walk off and they come over to move and I grabbed Jack and I say, good on you, mate.
Speaker 1: I said that that's the best you deserve. That can work work your ass off. Then I turned to the other bloke.
Speaker 2: We'll sit there and you did it, okay, he said, Now I played ship.
Speaker 1: I said, now make you did okay, and you're going one to the other. Now.
Speaker 2: The Fox parents just as Rise and her success. I can only imagine how proud they were. It must have been done, but they would have had one eye out no Amy. As well as as Jess is becoming this amazing Olympic legend, you've got the younger sister dealing with trying to forge your own.
Speaker 1: Path, dealing with expectation, dealing.
Speaker 2: With pressure, all that, all that stuff I reckon yesterday her winning the gold medal. I have got no doubt that was the greatest moment in that Fender's life.
Speaker 3: And how do the relationships between Jess, who I think looks after that Amy a bit? You know, did you find the same thing with Joey? Like compare the relationships, Like how did you feel you were his keeper?
Speaker 4: You do?
Speaker 2: As like being the oldest sibling, the only older sibling is the dynamic and you look at oftentimes the older siblings look sort of more, they carry more on their shoulders, and the youngest sibling is sort of freestyle.
Speaker 1: They're pre wheeling for whatever reason. And you become like a second father with myself.
Speaker 2: Neandre And I remember when Inrew was a kid and he was playing now playing under fifteens a Newcastle, and I remember he got this terrible he got this terrible diseas's leaves and he could barely run and was undiagnosed for a long time.
Speaker 1: And it was Oscar's latest and.
Speaker 2: Before he was diagnosed, probably he was playing fifteen ins to the nights.
Speaker 3: I remember people would.
Speaker 2: Laugh and when he was trialing, I leave, his kid is so slow that barely moved, and I remembering the older brother watching him and the pain that caused me really getting the fights with people played at David Waite. David Waite was coaching the junior development was fine, and he said, I know the kicker, Billy run. We don't know if it's got much going for it as sorry as football, but to go out and do that with what he's jured, we're going to sign him and so sort of coming through.
Speaker 1: You'll cover through the grades.
Speaker 2: You are always the older brother, you know, You're always that way. You're always worried about anim more time, even though you know you should be.
Speaker 4: My warning to jest.
Speaker 3: Where is made? We're all interested. It's such a fascinating You're like the dynamic between you and Joey. Where is it at the moment? Like the Foxies. We're talking about how it's gone back and forth and ebbed and flowed.
Speaker 2: Funny crash, Okay, this this sort of completes the serve.
Speaker 1: My oldest son Jack, such a great break.
Speaker 2: Really. He worries about the family too much, worries about your drink, drink too much and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: He's taken over True's drinks anyway. But yeah, he's that sort of kid trouper, sort of free free will. But anyway, Jack says, what our lives going on?
Speaker 4: To Tally?
Speaker 1: I down like, so Ryan, so you know we're brothers, man.
Speaker 4: He has it's it's it's not right.
Speaker 2: So one day I'm sitting there and on the lounge and Sunday Engineer, I think it was, I'm having it.
Speaker 1: Help of beers, and he goes, do you want to have a drive?
Speaker 2: That I didn't really want to watch the movie? I said, I can sca from drive. So we hop in the car.
Speaker 1: Are we driving? Where are we going?
Speaker 3: And we're driving. We're gonna have the spit Bridge? But where are we going?
Speaker 1: As we went to have the Harbor Bridge? I knew where he was taking. So I'm sitting out the front of him the car. I said, fade, come on, Yeah, he said, get.
Speaker 2: The fuck up there, So okay, I got the lift up and he knocked on the door and opened it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jelley be coup really yeah, and he he did that.
Speaker 3: He did that.
Speaker 2: Now since we and Joey, yeah, a little bit, there's still a bit of ground of makeup, but you're always brothers. Yeah, it's a great story. Yeah, anybody who's your gonna have a bit.
Speaker 4: Made.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you sharing that story because it was a real insight.
Speaker 1: Clear that mind. I'm sitting there anyway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Crash, I want to hear from you. This is my first Olympic Games on the ground covering it. We're eleven days in and I'm zombed. I've left a little bit of my soul on the dance woor, but also trying to report, trying to do these shows, crosses to radio.
Speaker 4: How do you do it?
Speaker 3: Mate? That's what I love about the Olympics. So it takes all you've got and there are some days you're walking along you think they used to have sleeping rooms at the Games. And when I first saw them, mind burst out laughing sleeping at the Games. By day four it was the first in that. But it's stripture, acred in exhaustion. But that's the glory of it. Isn't it, Maddie Like it's sort of being vulnerable, being open minded. Not the first I saw the eyebrows go, I saw the Dunke's go up.
Speaker 1: You know what, crash. I've been completely taken out of my comfort zone. I know, rave lely inside out.
Speaker 2: But to come here and to come here and well I understand what well, I've got new found respect for journalism, for guys like you just come over here.
Speaker 1: Little thing, just little things without McEwan McKean, Yeah, all those of having to work.
Speaker 3: It's not so much the long on ours.
Speaker 2: It's just the covering sports that you don't know that well. And I'll be I'll tear you mate. One of the highlights has been knocking around with Missile. Missile has been unbelievable. We get on fantastic, such a great blood. But sit in the stands swimming and him just taught me through everything's going.
Speaker 4: It's been.
Speaker 3: It's been incredible, wonderful.
Speaker 1: It's been a lot.
Speaker 4: That's been. It's been hard.
Speaker 1: Word, it's been a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: One more big show to go. Boys. What are we doing to wor right?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tear what we're going to do to mine crash with missile, and we're going to travel around Paris and we're just going to give people a bit of a guide into when they come to Paris, what they should.
Speaker 1: Do now, now when Paris, when reddle age, when you come.
Speaker 2: To Paris, when you're in the twenties and thirties, older, the middle aged stuff.
Speaker 4: We all can do. The you can do, the continue to.
Speaker 1: The new rouge. Many boys love it.
Speaker 3: Let's go for a beer.