Speaker 1: On scoring wields Ostrodia.
Speaker 2: This is the Reader Paney Show.
Speaker 3: Good evening, Anne, Welcome to the Reader Panekey Show. Coming up tonight. Labor doubles down on incoming Governor General Sam Moyston's outrageous pay increase. Professor in Plymer fact check some of the left's nuclear claims, and later in the hour, an Australian academic, a law professor, claims she's been bullied by activists who cannot tolerate her Christian views. Josh Hammer will bring us the latest from the US, including the deal that freed Wikilis leader Julia Sange, and we never neglect to bring you the segment that has millions of views online each and every week. Left he's losing it.
Speaker 4: So the reason why people heat fat people is because people heat black people. And appearing curvely or bigger is associated with blackness, especially black women, and that's where they're discriminated in the workplace.
Speaker 3: Joining me now is Harold's Sun colonist Patrick Carline. Patrick. Earlier today, you were in the Supreme Court for the Greg Lynn case. A astonishing verdict here he was charged with double murder. He was found guilty of one and not guilty of the other.
Speaker 2: That's right. Look, the jury took seven days to come back with their verdict. I think by today most people were thinking it might be a mistrial or a hung jury. The jury asked some questions yesterday. They gave some indication that they might actually try and convict for the murder of Carol Clay as opposed to Russell Hill. And it seems that the jury basically didn't believe the story that Greg Lynn put up about a struggle was resulting in a headshot wound to Carol Clay. So look, there was some sense of it in the question yesterday. But I think a lot of people will be very surprised by such a deliberate sort of verdict, very precise verdict.
Speaker 3: There are legal observers, lawyers who are absolutely shocked. But I guess when they took manslaughter off the table to be not guilty or murder, perhaps that explains today's verdict. How long before we get a sentence on this.
Speaker 2: Look, I think it will take months. I think there's the next court date is in July. That's just to mention. It'll take another few months after that, and you might see some appeals as well.
Speaker 3: In this case goes on now. The following story could be distressing to some viewers. A new video has emerged of three wounded and terrifying young men taken hostage by her Mass on October seven. The men Hirsh Goldberg, Poland, Or Levi and Elijah Cohen were at the Nova Music Festival. The footage shows the terrified, bloodied men on the flatbed of a pickup truck. One of the men, Hirsh Goldberg Poland, has suffered a horrific injury, with part of his left arm blown off by her mass grenade. This footage was uncovered by the IDF and was last night shared by the families of the three hostages. Oh no good, but, a statement from the Hostages and Missing Families Forum says, this harrowing footage stands as a damning testament to the two hundred and sixty two day long abandonment of our loved ones. Hersh Alion or were taken alive and they must return alive today, Patrick, This footage again reveals the sub human savagery of her Mass, the brutality, and there is increasing pressure on President Joe Biden to do something. Given one of those men, Hirsh Goldwig Poland is an American citizen.
Speaker 2: Oh. Look absolutely, I mean you can understand that pressure being applied. I mean, if there was Australian there, you would hope that the Australian authorities would do everything to free an Australian hostage. You can see why that pressures. You're going to ratch that up as time goes on. Look, I think it's important that footage is shown because it seems that we've got lost in the pro Palestine sort of retoric that this actually all started by the massacre of eleven hundred people and they saw one hundred and thirty six hostages being kept in gas or at the moment, if those hostages were released, we wouldn't be having a war the way that it is going at the moment, would we.
Speaker 3: Well no, And this is the thing that I do not understand from the anti Israeli activist, pro Palestinian whatever you want to call them. If they at their protest at least made some sort of a call for release to hostages, made some sort of a call against her mass then they would have a lot more credibility than they do. But they refuse to do that. And in fact, if you turn up to one of these protests holding her mass a terrorist sign, you're the one who gets attacked. So that kind of tells you the mindset a lot of these activists. They are not really interested in a sea spy because if you want to see spy, you would be calling for the hostages to be released. Now the nuclear debate rages on, we've got intelligent discourse, and we've got some juvenile scare mongering of some from some labor ministers activists, and there's further the evidence. I think that the left cannot mean they're just no good at it. We've seen Labor pushing various memes as part of this ridiculous anti nuclear scare campaign, and their union mates are not much better when it comes to putting together videos. Look at this effort from the official account of the Australian Council of Trade Unions. So so it's been a pro loving heat Now let me see, I'm the biggest heater.
Speaker 5: I hate the way that you walk, the way did you talk, I hate the way did you dress?
Speaker 2: I hate the way did you sneak this? If I test flame, it's gonna be the writ.
Speaker 3: I don't know who that's convincing. But then again, I'm not in the TikTok world. That was also on Instagram where I spotted it. How do you see this debate going? We mock the scare mongering, but it can actually be very effective.
Speaker 2: Oh look, it can be. I don't think something like that's very efficive, to be perfectly honest. I think what's got lost in this debate is Australia's one out against so much of the world. You look at the g twenty countries fourteen you produce nuclear power two or three hours others are looking to do so we're one out with this ideological sort of fear that nuclear is going to sort of, you know, be dangerous. And what also gets lost in this is we're going to be reliant on whether it's coal or gas or nuclear for a very long time. And if we don't go nuclear, the renewals aren't going to cut it, certainly not reliably across the board for a very long time. Hopefully they do it, but we need something to make energy reliable. Why not look at nuclear? Why not look at it?
Speaker 3: Well, we're sitting on the world's biggest reserves of uranium. You would think that would be one good reason to look at newtu We're not doing much gas exploration or coal plants, so base load power has to come from somewhere. Now, let's talk about the Governor General. The incoming Governor General has been much criticism yesterday about the fat pay increase that she's going to receive, But Labor is defending Sam Mouston's salary package, which is more than forty percent higher than the current GG David Hurley. This really, to me is in defensible Patrick. You look at the perks that come with this job, the staff, the residents, the first class travel. It really should not have a salary that's higher than the Prime Minister. How is that justified?
Speaker 2: It's a forty three percent pay rise on the current raide. I mean, in this cost of living sort of crisis that we're living in, how do you justify that. It's been on every front page of every newspaper across Australia today. People are talking about it, People are outraged. Why make this choice and pegging it to the Chief Justice of the High Court. That's a real job.
Speaker 3: This is a ceremonial role. This is someone who goes to morning teas and cuts ribbons and attends functions. It is not a role that is enormously taxing intellectually, unless there's some sort of a constitutional crisis once in a century, then you'll be acted on to make some decisions. But I think something like this really should go to an eminent Australian and it should not have a salary attached, because the perks you get with the job are significant. I think it should almost be like I don't know, afol club president, where you don't get a salary but it comes with great prestige and its important role. Yes, and I'm sure there will be a lot of eminent Australians who still put up their hand to do it. Absolutely, Maybe not leftist activists like this one.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I won't get into that.
Speaker 3: But yes, yes, Now I want to speak about quantas because they're not what they used to be. I fly them often, I can talk you that firsthand, and they used to be considered one of the top airlines in the world. They're all normally in the top ten airlines, but now they're not even the top twenty. According to the latest Skytracks Awards, Qatar Airways is number one in the world, with quantas sitting at a lowly twenty four. The spirit of Australia ain't what it used to be. Patrick, I think.
Speaker 2: Most Australians would be surprised at Corners made the top twenty four offline Singapore offlowing Qatar. As we all have from time to time. There is such a distinct difference between the service of a good airline and then there's quantas.
Speaker 3: They charge like a premium airline, but there's service levels I think approaching budget levels.
Speaker 2: Yes, and they've lost the trust of Australians through the Shenanigans under Alan Joyce in the last few years. It used to be this wonderful brand that we also looked up to it as an icon. Now it's not. Now it's just a very expensive.
Speaker 3: Plane, that's it. And I think people who travel regularly have learned that those who travel infrequently still perhaps old, put Quantus on a pedestal, but one bad experience and that all changes now. To a report from the Herald signs of Michael warnerm Sports Integrity Australia warning that the AFL and other Australian sports need to take urgent action to combat illicit drug use by their athletes. This week, they recommended an immediate overhaul of the AFL's illicit drug policy, which allows players to avoid drug strikes and undergo off the books testing under what they call a medical model. The Chief of Sport of Integrity Australia, David Sharp, said significant into vents is required immediately to address the illicit drug culture in sport and the increasing and unacceptable risks post of players, officials, clubs and Sporting codes. Sport Integrity Australia, along with several partner organizations, have identified evidence across Australian sports of clear dangers of criminals influencing sports through the supply of illicit drugs, including by praying on athletes or support staff to access inside information. And this is important because we've got gambling, it's enormous sports gambling. You've got the criminal world and the manner in which players are accessing these drugs. You could see players officials being blackmailed to provide information to behave in a corrupt manner. And I wonder if the Sporting codes are really treating this as seriously as they should.
Speaker 2: I think mister Sharpe makes a very good point there. I mean, look, I like bet lots of us, do you can bet on the first ball or a cricket match being a no ball, or the first serve of a tennis match being a fault. Now, if you have players who are potentially leveraged by the various elements, I mean it's not a big step to imagine that that sort of thing and that sort of corruption of the sport could happen pretty readily, and certainly off camera as well. I think it's a very good point. I think it's something that we need to look at very closely.
Speaker 3: Absolutely in the AFL, in particular with that ridiculous drug policy which is really designed to make sure no player ever gets three strikes.
Speaker 2: And well, the players have been gaming it for years and years, are they.
Speaker 3: Obviously, if the loopholes are deliberate, they're not accidental in that code. They've got to acknowledge the obvious there, Patrick Harline, thank you so much for your time this evening.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 3: Vernon joining me now is a steam geologist. Professor Ian Plymer, in the Smart Energy Council CEO, appeared on Sky and You with Karen Gilbert and he sort of fact check Opposition leader Peter Dutton's claims. Let's have a look at the clip the Smart Energy Council tweeted itself, which was also shared by Minister for Climate Change and Energy Chris Bowen.
Speaker 6: How other country in the world can keep the lights on twenty four to seven with the renewables only policy?
Speaker 2: Where in the world has that?
Speaker 7: Just one at Costa Rica, for example, one hundred percent renewables right, there are plenty of examples globally and here in Australia, right.
Speaker 6: We know that the government has a renewables only policy which is just not fit for purpose. The state of Tasmania is entirely powered on renewable energy.
Speaker 2: Actually the Act one hundred percent renewal energy day night, twenty four hours a day, three sixty five days a year.
Speaker 3: Costa Rica. Plenty of examples globally, we're told Tasmania act Ian, do you care to fact check the fact checkers?
Speaker 8: Well, you've got to understand he's got to snout in the trough and he's talk in his own book. Now, Costa Rica, you could not in any way compare with Australia. It is not a G twenty industrialized country. You cannot have an industrialized society without base load power that comes from gas or coal or nuclear that is a fact. The second thing is to look at Tasmania. Well, there is a cable going from the mainland to Tasmania because quite often Tasmania doesn't have enough power and they have to back up with diesels. There are times when there's not enough rainfall in Tasmania and they can't run their hydrate. So Tasmania sometimes exports power to the mainland and quite often imports power from the mainland. So that is absolutely wrong. And to look at Canbra, I mean really, Canbra doesn't generate any of its own electricity. It gets its electricity from New South Wales, the bulk of which a coal fired power station of power going into Canbra. Now I admit there are times milliseconds, perhaps minutes, there are times when canber and South Australia and Tasmania might be running one hundred percent on renewables. But what the people don't seem to tell us is that the sun doesn't shine all the time and the wind doesn't blow all the time. We've had wind routs that have killed off renewables and we still get more than sixty percent of our power from coal. So that is blazonly misleading. And then to claim that it's cheap. There is no country in the world where renewables are cheap. The only good thing about renewables is that the subodies subsidies keep renewing and going to those promoting them. But we, the poor taxplayer and consumer, just have to keep coughing up. It's certainly not clean energy because when you look at the amount of filth that is generated in China to develop wind turbines and to build these soul of panels using slave life, that is not clear. And it's certainly not environmentally friendly with the amount of wildlife and forest lands that we kill. And as to being reliable, pull the other one. So I think these people are absolutely panicking because all of a sudden we have a decision that has been made to give us cheap, reliable, twenty four to seven power.
Speaker 3: The activist class, including much of the media, seem to be in some sort of a meltdown over this debate even occurring. They're terrified that the Australian people will have a choice, that will have options come the next election. And I'm not sure if you've seen this piece in The Guardian that says Dutton's nuclear plan will be an economic disaster that would leave Australians paying more for electricity because well, because nuclear is the most expensive form of electricity. But in this isn't the experience. In many parts of the world. The French pay less for electricity than the Germans, who went down the renewable's path very strongly. And in Finland electricity prices dropped dramatically when the new nuclear reactor was connected.
Speaker 8: Well, if you read the Guardian, you deserve to be mislead. So I haven't seen in the Guardian something I don't read. But we do know the official figures in this country. To generate electricity from gas and there's the AMO figures, there's fifty nine cents of killer what our. The CSIRO report says that to generate electricity from nuclear is thirty one cents to killer what our. So the numbers are in and the facts don't lie. So we have a global example right across the world. Countries that have got nuclear have cheaper power. But what people don't seem to realize is that it is reliable. You have one decent hail storm and you've wiped out solar power. All the panels get destroyed. A hailstorm with a nuclear power station does nothing. And what people should understand is that one atom of the uranium produces twenty million times as much energy as burning one atom of carbon. So if you want to have a small fingerprint, if you want to be energy efficient, and if you want twenty four to seven cheap reliable power, nuclear is the only option.
Speaker 3: Now. Mike O'Connor wrote in The Career Mail that Anthony Albernizi as unseated greensleader Adam band as looney in chief because of his anti nuclear barrage of bull dust. He also wrote, when it comes to insulting the intelligence of Australians, the decision to suggest that nuclear power would result in three eyed coolers was right up there with the best and a spectacular own goal. All the PM and his genius advisors managed to do was to convince all reasonable minded folk that if the Government was prepared to go to such extraordinary lengths to demonize nuclear power, then there must be some merit in the proposal. When compared to the Labor Party, Suddenly the Greens were looking like moderates. I'm sure Adam Bant will see that as a challenge to step up his game. But on a serious note, Ian, are you surprised by the tactics employed by the senior ministers here and the Prime minister? They really have gone nuclear. Excuse the pun with the scare mongering, with the hyperbole. It's not an approach you would expect from the government as serious politicians, serious adults determining our country's future.
Speaker 8: Well, I think mister Dutton's announcement of nuclear caught the government napping.
Speaker 9: They didn't consider that such words could come out of an opposition leader's mouth and forming and behaving exactly the same as they did with the Voice.
Speaker 8: They do not accept reality. They treat the electorate as stupid. They exaggerate, they have absolute meltdowns, and people are not falling for this. People know that electricity is very expensive because we pay for it. People know that there are other areas in the world where electricity is cheaper, and that is nuclear. So I think the Labor Party has totally, absolutely misread the electorate. They did it with the Voice, they're doing it again, and rather than engaging in constructive argument, they're screeching like spoiled brats.
Speaker 3: I've only got thirty seconds, but your thoughts on Matt Keane and this new appointment. Is that going to be a game changer.
Speaker 8: Well, it's not going to be a game change at all. He's been a joke for a long while, and it's a case of birds of a feather flock together. He's always been in the wrong party and he now is that wonderful public face which will be forgotten years to come because he will bring down the opposition policy and he'll go with it. So I think it's a wonderful point which the two and one. It will get rid of Keen and it will get rid of mister Bowen. So I'm surprised that he was in the Liberal parties for that long and wasn't thrown out. And I think the elected of Hornsby will now be finally well represented.
Speaker 3: I primer, thank you for your time. This evening still to come. Left is losing it and Josh Hammer on the politics behind the Julian Assance decision, welcome back. Now it's time for lefties losing it. Did you know that wanting to be fit and healthy is racist and fat phobia is just another form of white supremacy. Listen to this intersectional bologny.
Speaker 4: Anti fatness is rooted in anti blackness and The reason why people are pursuing thinness is because they're pursuing proximity to whiteness. The reason why people hate fat people is because people hate black people. And appearing curly or bigger is associated with blackness, especially black women, and that's why they're discriminated in the workplace, overly sexualized. And this has gone back for centuries and centuries, all systems of oppression, capitalism, sexism, racism, It all comes back to white supremacy, which is the foundation of the fabric of America and rules every sector and aspect of our society.
Speaker 3: Now to a lefty dude telling us he's going to lose it if Trump wins again, listen to this rant. Sounds to me like this unhinged lefty is making threats. Is anyone of the FBI watching If.
Speaker 10: Donald Trump wins, There're gonna be a lot of angry people. I can't promise that there won't be some fighting, But if Donald Trump wins and starts trying to implement some of these measures to take away even more rights, you're not going to want to be around for that fight. I promise you that you're not going to want your family to be around for that fight because people will die.
Speaker 2: People will die.
Speaker 3: Interesting time to check in with the most powerful woman in the world. Here, Kamala Harris explains presidential elections after she's asked why is the race so close?
Speaker 2: Why is the race so close?
Speaker 11: These races are always close. It's the election of the president of the United States, and everyone in an election for president United States will critically examine all the issues and make a decision.
Speaker 3: Profound, profound. I think I might just listen to that again because Kamala she just makes you think, doesn't she. And I'm sad to report it's happened again. Another Jerry Seinfeld show in Australia has been disrupted by anti Israeli activists. That's the third or fourth time in about a week, and each time Jerry points out these lefties losing it. They are in the wrong place. They are only annoying people and making Jerry richer.
Speaker 8: Who would want to do well like I am?
Speaker 1: Look at the people here and hear me, look at what happened to you.
Speaker 10: Here's the other thing.
Speaker 12: I think you need to go back and tell who's ever running your organization.
Speaker 3: We just gave more money to a Jew.
Speaker 10: And cannot be a good.
Speaker 3: Plan for you, and let's enjoy this. Lefties losing a Hall of Famer. It's two years to the day since we were treated to this.
Speaker 10: My sce.
Speaker 5: My sight, my my.
Speaker 3: Now let's bring in Josh Hammer, Senior editor at Large at Newsweek and Article three Project Senior Council. Josh, I want to speak about the border crisis and some of the horrific crimes being committed by illegal immigrants. But let's start with the news today that Wikiles founded. Julia Sange is free after agreeing to plead guilty to a single count of conspiring to obtain and disclose classified US national defense documents. What can you tell me about this steal? And White was struck.
Speaker 5: The plead deal appears to be a very favorable one for him. The thing to bear in minds here, Rita, based on what I've been able to assess so far, this is a political move. I mean, this is a presidential election year here in the United States is twenty twenty four. And the key point is that Julia Soane and civil liberties whistleblowers like him are very popular among younger, millennial and gen Z voters here in the United States. Who is Joe Biden losing right now when it comes to the voter blocks, well, a lot of gen Z millennial folks are shifting away to Donald Trump. That's the lens through which I view this. I think that it is a political stunt ultimately at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: And I think Trump has been outspoken recently about pardoning Assange, so it could have become a real debate leading up to the November poll.
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally, No, Donald Trump has been very outspoken about that. You know, Like I said, I have no particularly strong underlying sympathy for Julina Song, but he probably has already heat his punishment. I mean, he's essentially been in exile there in the embassy over in the UK, you know, for years and years now, so you know, good for this whole situation that's in the rear view mirror. This story has been dragging out for many, many years now. But I think you're probably right, reader. Is probably Joe Biden trying not to let Donald Trump get there on a debate stage, potentially as early as this week, this Thursday evening here in the US, and say that he's going to party Julia Singe and then steal Joe Biden's thunder for him.
Speaker 3: Now, the next story has the potential to upset some viewers. Prosecutors in Texas will argue the illegal migrants who stand accused of murdering a twelve year old girl in Houston. They say they these men lured the girl under a bridge, tied her up, stripped her naked from the waist down, assaulted her for two hours, then strangled her and dumped her body in the water in evidence. If evidence is found that this girl was sexually assaulted, Josh, the accused could face the death penalty.
Speaker 12: Age is not the only consideration in this case, or any case, the underlying actions of the criminals. This victim was found you bound and without clothing from the waist down in the water.
Speaker 1: The DA's office says that they are waiting on results of testing to determine if a sexual assault happened. If they find that that happened, this case would be eligible for the death penalty in the state of Texas.
Speaker 2: Josh.
Speaker 3: These men crossed illegally into the US earlier this year, but had initially been fitted with ankle monitors, but one of them cut it off and the other had it removed after it was determined he had no known criminal history.
Speaker 8: You know, Rita.
Speaker 5: Bill Malougan is a very talented Fox News reporter who here in the US tracks the immigration issue very closely, and he had a tweet on Friday that I was studying very carefully where he said that even holding aside illegal immigration, just holding aside and looking at I llegal immigration. There have now been over one million migrants who have come in through the Customs and Border Protection one mobile app between the ports of entry of the US southern border along with the Biden administrations very underdiscussed mass parole program where he's basically flying in migrants from a lot of Latin American countries in the dark of the night, shipping them to the interior of the country. That's what's being done quote unquote legally. So imagine how bad the illegal situation is. I mean, it's absolutely appalling reading this has happened in Houston, Texas. I lived in Houston, Texas. In fact, when I was clerking for a federal judge based in Texas, I actually remember reading a very dark and graphic criminal case along these lines. It was an international sex trafficking ring involving NS three team, the cartels based there in Houston, Texas. They had underage girls as sex slaves. Horrific stuff. Anyone who cares, ultimately, at the end of the day, anyone who cares about human rights, justice, all the concepts that these far left progressives claim to care about. If you care about that, you have to support a secure border, because the United States Southern border being the way that it is right now, is the most inhuman, most unjust thing imaginable. And as it comes to these illegal aliens, who obviously, by definition of being illegal aliens never ever ever should have been in the country in the first place. They're not alone. By the way, Lake and Riley and Georgia, we saw what happened to her. She was murdered in New York City. You had an illegal alien who appears to have raped a thirteen year old girl as well. This is happening all across the country. But when it comes to these people in Texas, I'm a barred attorney still in Texas. I live in Florida. I'm still a barre attorney in Texas. The death penalty is very much still good law in Texas. These two people, if they are determined to be the culprits there. They should fry at least once, ideally multiple times for this.
Speaker 3: Now you mentioned the leftist progressive and the ones on MSNBC seem to be utterly divorced from reality. I played footage yesterday of MSNBC host Simone Sanders discussing this case, but she seems to be preoccupied with the term illegal immigrants. She thinks that's not proper. Watch this footage.
Speaker 2: What do you tell the parents of those people, those young girls who were killed.
Speaker 7: This is you're preponderance of these But what is the difference between the legal immigrant who unfortunately engages in that activity?
Speaker 2: And we don't like that.
Speaker 5: I want to be clear, we don't do the term illegal a document.
Speaker 8: A document.
Speaker 3: Josh, what can you say about that. We can't say illegal immigrant to describe an illegal immigrant. We've got to use the word undocumented because it's more PC. I mean, talk about completely losing sight of the real issue here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, I mean it was George or Well who famously said that he who controls the language controls the population. The left, the left has been doing a very very good job of this in recent years in the United States. In fact, they've been that they've actually been doing it for a much longer time as well. You can go back as far read as the nineteen sixties, you know, back during the John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson presidencies, when they start passing civil rights legislation, when their landmark pieces of legislation was called the Voting Rights Sacks. And there's this famous Supreme Court oral argument from twenty thirteen, or the late great conservative justice Anthony Scalia is talking to the lawyers arguing, and he goes the voting right SATs. What kind of congressman in the right name whatever vote against a bill called the Voting right sack. So the fix has kind of been when they come to naming bills, when they come to naming identity groups here. But you know this individual on MSNBC, You know how hard is it to actually use the term illegal when someone is here illegally. These are people whose first act, who's literal first act, their physical foot stepping across the Rio Grande into this country isn't act of illegality and criminality. They are illegal aliens still under US law, and the left wing media should say it what it is. They are illegal aliens, say it illegally. It's not that horidoniously.
Speaker 3: Well for the left, often saying the truth is very difficult. Indeed, that's why they would like to come up with the prettier words that hide the real issues. I want to talk to you about the ESG phenomenon. MasterCard is being pressured by SG activists to drop support for organizations such as this State Financial Officers Foundation ESG. It stands for Environmental, Social and Governance. But it seems to be Josh just a way to push the leftist agenda in the corporate world using shareholders' money. And it's not just MasterCard that's been targeted by these activists. You've got JP, Morgan, Lockeing Martin, a whole bunch of corporates. And I wonder just how influential and powerful is this ESJ philosophy in the corporate world.
Speaker 5: So I think it reached its apex probably a year to a year and a half ago. It's actually been on the dcline, is my understanding, since then. You know, ESG RITA I think is best viewed as the financial wing of the broader DEI diversity, equity and Inclusion movement. So the DEI is kind of the social aspect. That's how you got the the woke stuff on the university campuses. ESG is basically just the investing financial elements of that. But you know it's the it's the major institutional investors like Blackrock, Vanguard, State Street. It's firms like that really who were the biggest proponents of ESG, especially Blackrock probably above all Larry Fink, the CEO of there was all in on the ESG agenda in recent years there, but they actually started pulling back on ESG. I think it was The Wall Street Journal had a long deep dive of an essay on this last year because the very simple reason readA. There's no demand for anymore. I mean, the American people and investors don't want this because reasonably speaking, when you invest riata, what do you want? You want returns, you want ROI, you want to return on A.
Speaker 3: Was there ever any real demand for it or was it just something that was pushed by the corporate activist class, because I can't imagine shareholders being preoccupied with this staff A. Shareholders want to return on their money, and this seems to be just relentless leftist activism masquerading as some sort of corporate responsibility.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one hundred percent. I mean, there was never a demand for this, because again, people who are living check to paycheck with a pension fund or retire infund whenever, they just want money for goodness it. They don't particularly care how it's done as long as it's legal, right.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: This reminds me of actually the whole ESGU debate. It reminds me actually of the whole bud Light Dylan Mulvany fiasco that happened here in the US a little over a year ago, where bud Light had the the transgender influencer. I mean, was there really a demand among kind of college friend boys for drinking a beer with a transgender individual like printed on the logan?
Speaker 2: No, of course not.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is some hair brained idea from some Ivy League MBA graduate who thought this would be a good agenda. And but White, by the way, paid the price for it. And that's what you're starting to see now when it comes to ESG, when it comes to Black Rock Vanguard, there's just no demand for it. And finally, finally they're actually just pulling these investment funds from their shelves.
Speaker 3: Well, this is another example of that, IBM is facing a lawsuit from Missouri Attorney General Andrew Bailey over its diversity quotas. This is the DEI program Diversity Equity Inclusion. Bailey calls it corporate racism. He's accusing the company of violating the Missouri Human Rights Act by subjecting job applicants to unlawful racial quotas, blatantly favoring applicants of certain skin color over others, and facing employees pay an employment status on whether they partici pat in these discriminatory practices. This is a turn up for the books, and I think we're going to say more lawsuits like this because it is corporate racism. They're not even ashamed of it. They promote these programs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they shout it from the rooftops. I mean, they are extraordinarily proud of the fact that at the corporate level they are increasingly openly and overtly discriminating against you know, white male Christians would be the absolute, you know, the highest quote unquote oppressor status, right, but you know it's also Asians, I mean Jews obviously, I mean any number of other groups as well. Here, you know, good for Missouri, this is a this is a good lawsuit when you have a democratic administration, a very activist democratic administration, life you bid administration in place. Probably the single most effective tip of the spear in terms of fighting back, especially with US Congress as divided as it is, it is going to come from the state level, and that's going to come from the various Republican attorneys general or fortunate right now where we have a number of high pro file Republican attorney's general. Ken Paxon in Texas would probably be the number one, most vocal and most active, So it's really encouraging to see others besides Ken pax and step up. Here in Florida, we have Ashley Moody who's also done a pretty good job of late pushing back on the Biden administration's Title nine transgender policy things like that. So it's really good from a perspective of wanting to stop the WOK agenda. More broadly, speaking of senior Republican attorney general step up, so good for the state of Missouri when it comes to this particular Lossit hopefully more will follow.
Speaker 3: Now before you go, I've got to ask you about the latest polls. Donald Trump is leading Joe Biden in all seven swing states. According to some recent polling de Spy the Democrats Law fair and political prosecutions. In twenty twenty, Biden won six of the seven swing states. And we've got the great debate happening this Friday, our time. How can Biden recover in the polls? What can the Democrats and their institutional allies do to fortify another election?
Speaker 5: You know, it's a great question. I mean, there candidate is in very very bad shape right now, not just politically, but obviously physically and mentally as well. Nothing is going particularly well right now for the Biden Harris campaign. And it's funny because Joe Biden has essentially been locked up at Camp David, at the presidential compound in suburban Maryland for the past week while he's trying to prepare for this debate. Apparently he realized that the stakes are very high. Although I have to say that does raise the obvious question as to who is running the country when he's just holds up there at Camp Data preparing for this debate. I mean, you know, who's managing the world's largest economy. I actually have no idea, to be honest with you, but the stakes are obviously extremely high in this debate. Now, the expectations have been set so low that if Joe Biden essentially stands up there and gets at least a few coherent sentences in, and if he doesn't keel over and has to be rushed to the er before it's over, they will probably be able to chalk it up in the Democratic Party's fundraising emails as some sort of win. So lowering expectations is half the battle, but they're going to have to come up with something more than that. They're going to run very hard on the abortion issue, or they're going to try to do the whole twenty twelve playbook. They's so called Republican war on women. They're trying to gin that up. But it's not working, reader, because ultimately, at the end of the day, the voters here care about the economy, inflation, crime, and the open border issue, and those are the issues, frankly, that Joe Biden has failed epically on, and independent and swing state voters see it for what it is.
Speaker 3: I think, Josh Hemma, thank you so much for your time this evening. Thank you still to come. A Christian academic is facing cancelation, but she is fighting back. I'll speak to her next. Welcome back. My next guest is an academic, a law professor at the University of Adelaide. But she's also a Christian. She's pro life, she's pro free speech, and that has seen her targeted in her workplace with a multitude of complaints. As we know, with these complaints, often the process is the punishment, and activists are using the complaints processes at places like universities to intimidate those who challenge their worldview. But doctor Joanna Howe is fighting back and she joins me. Now, Joanna, you've submitted a stop bullying application to the Fair Work Commission against the University of Adelaide. Tell me why you are receiving so many complaints and have any of these complaints stood up.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 13: First of all, Rita, thank you so much for having me on your show. And look, I started speaking out about abortion close to two years ago on social media. I've been researching it that for a couple of years. But the decision I made to speak up publicly was because South Australia, the state where I live, had legislated abortion up to birth and for any reason, and for me that was just a bridge too far, and I felt that I had to speak out about that, so I started posting daily content to Instagram, where you can find me at doctor Joanna Howe, and through that I've been disseminating my research.
Speaker 3: I'm now on TikTok.
Speaker 13: Facebook, YouTube, and it's a way of getting information out to people and starting a conversation on the issue of abortion. Of course, I knew that complaints from activists were going to be part of the course because I'm challenging the pro abortion narrative of academia, of the media, of large corporates. You know, this is sort of a situation really of David and Goliath, and I knew that I was taking this on, and in fact, doctor Debbie Garrett had written a book called alarmis Gatekeeping, which traced how anybody from Amanda Stoker to the CEO of White Ribbon, if they're dead, speak about abortion from a critical perspective. They had been try They've been bullied and been harassed and significant attempt at cancelation. So I knew there was going to be an avalanche of complaints to my employer, but I didn't think that that was sufficient to stop me speaking because the issue was so important. What I didn't know is that the university would would take all of these complaints forward, because I guess believed in the fact that there's an obligation on the university to protect academic freedom and that's first and foremost, and that the idea of a university is built on that.
Speaker 3: So I think it has.
Speaker 13: Taken me by surprise to you know, to be doing this for two years and to have been the subject of five workplace investigations. You know, nobody should have to go through that. It has been significant. It has tested my resolve. None of the complaints have actually been substantiated. I have not been found guilty of any misconduct, and to be clear, the vast majority of the complaints have come from activists outside the university weaponizing the complaints system against me, and to me, that's not fair, and that's why I have taken this action in the Fair Work Commission.
Speaker 3: I can understand it would be enormously stressful to be under investigation constantly, one after another, even if you ultimately are found to have done nothing wrong. But isn't the university obliged to investigate every time a complaint is made? Are these complaints deemed vexatious or as a university once the process is started obliged to follow through.
Speaker 13: The university first and foremost has an obligation to protecting academic freedom.
Speaker 3: The idea of a university.
Speaker 13: Is based on the concept that even if you're a scholar researching inn and highly controversial area, that you are protected because this is a way of finding truth. It's the marketplace of ideas, and scholarships shouldn't be controlled by what the dominant ideology is at the time. And this has been really important in human history to help us reach the truth on really important issues of critical importance to us as a society, as a civilization. So the idea of a university is based on academic freedom. It's a right that I have and all academics have in the EBA, in our enterprise agreements, and there's actually an obligation on the university to dismiss complaints that I made vexatiously. And just to give you an example reader of what I've been through. On January twenty fourth this year, I received an email from my boss which cleared me from the most recent investigation, which had landed in the middle of December and had happened because a bunch of TikTok activists had got together run a TikTok campaign on it, complaining to the University of Adelaide. They put in my boss's email, they put in research integrity, and so they were just you know, riling each other up, and the university received an avalanche of complaints and I had to you know, receive that notification from my boss. I had to respond to the allegations, and ultimately, on the twenty fourth of January, I found out that I'd been cleared. But less than two hours later, I received another email from another department in the university telling me that a new investigation had been opened up, this time on research miconduct, again prompted by activists outside the universities. These are not my students in the classroom who are complaining about my teaching. These are not substantive critiques of my research. It's people who want to get me sacked because they want to shut down what I'm saying, because I'm sharing really uncomfortable truths about where we've got to with the regulation of abortion in Australia. You know, on social media and even on your show, Reader, I've talked about the fact that in Australia we have a situation that baby's born alive after an abortion can be left to die. They don't have a right to legal care. I've talked about the fact that abortion is legal up to birth and for any reason. Only thirty one percent of Australians according to an IPSOS poll, support that up until twenty weeks. And I think the other side wants to cancel me and shut down my voice because they know that I'm being effective. I'm getting my message out there.
Speaker 2: I've reached five.
Speaker 13: Million people in close to two years on social media, and so they have to they have to get rid of me because it's going to affect change.
Speaker 3: Well, you're right, that message, the pro life message, even if you're just arguing against late term abortion, it's not something that gets much coverage at all. And polling fairly consistently, particularly polling in the US, which has done far more often than here, shows that even those who are pro abortion pro choice in the first trimester, are against late term abortion in the third trimester and even in the second trimester. So this is a far more nuanced topic for a lot of people than the media. Let on, and you're part of that debate. Now, you are a mother of five, you're a Rhodes scholar, you're a law professor, you're obviously a woman of color. But none of that seems to matter to the so called tolerant left who tell us they value diversity. The way you've been treated that did determined to cancel you, are they going to succeed? Would in life be easier for you if you focused on your lectures and left the activism to somebody else.
Speaker 13: So I have always devoted my research to addressing vulnerability in all its forms, and in speaking out for our most vulnerable Australians and using my research and sharing it on social media in the way that I've been doing. That is something that I will not stop doing. And you know, as a mother of five, this is personal to me. I am not just an academic, but I'm a mother who have children that will one day go to university. And if you think about the abuse, harassment and bullying that I have been through as an academic, as a professor of law and as a Hodes scholar, think about what this means for students in the classroom, who have every right to demand to be subjected to not woken doctrination from the radical left's ideology on everything from gender to abortion. They have a right to pursue critical thinking and the freedom to do that. So if I'm being treated in this way, then I share about what's going on for us students.
Speaker 3: And you would hope at university you would be hearing diverse viewpoints. That's not the time to be debating these issues and just broadening your horizons. I don't know what is a doctor, Joanna House, thank you for your time this evening, and that's it from me. Up next is Newsnight. I'll see you at eleven tomorrow. Good night,