Speaker 1: Vince is the Media Show with Jack outing, Hello and welcome to the Media Show. Tonight, we will discuss spin doctors at Queensland Health, a crisis at Network ten, and a toxic on air rant by former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull. But first, Joe Biden is desperately fighting to keep his presidential candidacy alive, but the unyielding support he once enjoyed from the US media has dissipated. Today, he spoke at NATO during a lengthy press conference where he trailed off numerous times and made some incredibly damaging gaffes.
Speaker 2: Look, I wouldn't have picked Vice President Trump to be vice president? Do I think she was not qualified to be president? So let's start there.
Speaker 3: And journalists were having none of it.
Speaker 1: Nearly every question involved bewilderment and why Biden was still in the race.
Speaker 4: Our political future has hung over the NATO summit a little bit this week.
Speaker 1: You mixed up the president Zelenski and Putin earlier today.
Speaker 5: But what makes this moment in history so unique is that it is not your enemies who are calling on you to reconsider your decision to stay in the race. It's your friends, supporters, people who think you've done a great job.
Speaker 1: And after a while it started to get weird. He does this thing where he whispers and I'm not sure exactly what he thinks it sounds like, but it's bad.
Speaker 2: When unions do better, everybody does better. Everybody does better, and we talk about how for example and when I went, but the airds add things all the time. Very end, it's not going to happen.
Speaker 3: Don't say that.
Speaker 1: But if you think the NATO press conference was bad, take a look at the moment he confused the leader of Ukraine with Vladimir Putin.
Speaker 2: And now I want to hand it over to the President of Ukraine, who has as much courage as he has to determination, ladies and gentlemen, President Putin.
Speaker 1: It's no wonder that even The New York Times is now campaigning for Biden to step down. Biden advises way how to convince him to end his campaign close allies of the President of developing a case for why he should step aside. But mister Biden is increasingly isolated now. Part of the concern is that Biden's crack addled, convicted Felon's son Hunter Biden has started to appear in oval office meetings, and the press is not too happy about this.
Speaker 6: So Kevin McCarthy just said that when he was the speaker, many times when we had meetings in the Oval Office, Jill was there as well when the first ladies in these meetings. Is she making decisions or is she just advising the president?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 7: The president is the President of the United States, he makes decisions.
Speaker 6: Okay, another family member. President Biden has told me before he and his son don't have any business dealings together. So what is Hunter Biden doing in White House meetings?
Speaker 7: Are you talking about the meeting where they came together from Camp David and the two of them walked to the President's meeting and he was there.
Speaker 6: There's a report that DAIDs were struck by his presence during their discussion.
Speaker 7: Look, I can't I'm certainly not going to get into private conversations that occur. What I can say is, and I talked to this, I spoke to this before, is that when they came back from Camp David, the President spent a couple of days at Camp David with his family. He is very close to his family, as you know. It was the week of fourth of July, which is why his family members were here last week. They walked together, and they walked together into the meeting.
Speaker 6: Can you say if Hunter Biden has access to classified information?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: Well, let's bring in media writer at The Australian, Sophie Elsworth and Scott used contributor James James and start with you great to haven't you here? This was his opportunity to dispel all of the conjecture about his cognitive decline, which is obvious to us.
Speaker 3: How did it go?
Speaker 8: I think that he's done enough to buy him some time, Like I know all the gaps we just saw there, the needless aggressive way he was dealing with the once friendly press. My favorite one was when he said that he's started scheduling vun raises earlier in the day, not for him, but for everyone else, because he wants other people to be able to go home at ten, Like the defensive I'm not tired. You guys are all tired, so you guys can leave me alone. I think the issue is, though, like when he calls Zelenski Putin, when he calls Kamala Harris Trump, how much of that is already priced into Joe Biden to candidate who was surprised that he would do that, and the people around him right now, they're senior Democrats calling on him to either stay or go. They're not there out of the love of country. They're not there out of a dedication to public service. They're there for Team Blue. And if Biden's the guy that's going to win for teen Blue this November, Biden stays. And the problem for them is that they don't have like a ninety two Clinton or an oait Obama in the wings, because if they did today, said today, Biden would be somewhere yelling at nurses that his copy is too hot. The fact is Biden's still the best they've got, and unless the Poles tell you, Marl liyes, he's going.
Speaker 3: To stay on. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the other thing is, I think you raise a really good point about the gaffs being bad, but he's been doing this for three years, and Sophie'd love to bring you in.
Speaker 3: I think there is a degree.
Speaker 1: Of Now these journalists have been exposed, they're covering themselves because it is unavoidable. But to James's point, he's been doing this for a long time. There's nothing that significantly an outlier. Why now all the pressure, why now.
Speaker 9: I think now because he has got his own people internally turning on him.
Speaker 10: Jack, and also that presidential debate.
Speaker 9: A few weeks ago was an absolute disaster and the media couldn't shy away from that.
Speaker 10: So now they actually have egg on.
Speaker 9: Their face because I would argue the antics of President Biden at various media calls and appearances is not that different to what he was like twelve, eighteen, twenty four months ago.
Speaker 10: But suddenly the.
Speaker 9: Media pack, predominantly in the US and also here in Australia, has woken up and said, we have a problem on our hands. So I don't think President Biden will be going anywhere. But the media has been exposed, I believe, for not calling this out earlier, and now it appears that they're playing catch up in the lead up to the presidential election later this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really, well said.
Speaker 1: Not all journalists, though, are playing that game, and some are still covering for the president and some are more subtle than others. Radio host Andrea Lawful Sanders lost her job at WRD Radio after admitting her post debate interview with President Joe Biden was based on questions the Biden camp fed her.
Speaker 4: Andrea, let me ask you here about your interviews and something I listened to both of them, and there's something that's similar here. You each were you asked four questions, and maybe that's what you were allowed to ask by the campaign or the White House, but they were essentially the same questions. Both interviews about accomplishments progress in your respective state, what's at stake in the election, what he has to say about his debate performance, and what he would say to voters who think their vote doesn't matter or might sit this election out. Were those questions given to you by the White House or did you have for the campaign or did you have to submit questions ahead of this interview?
Speaker 3: The questions were said to me for approval. I approved to them. And it gets worse.
Speaker 1: A radio show in Milwaukee was one of the first places to get a post debate interview with Biden, and shockingly, the White House asked them to edit the interview to make him look sharper. CNN reports a Milwaukee radio station agreed to make two edits to an interview recorded with President Joe Biden earlier this month at the request of his campaign. The station's owner, Civic Media, which is said on Thursday now let's bring the panel back in James. Both egregious situations. Now this isn't me saying, hey, I plan on asking these questions, which is bad. I'm not saying that's acceptable. This is the Biden camp saying you may only ask him one of these questions. Put that to one side. Then you've got other people editing him, and the background. The context of this is they're doing these interviews to show the American people that he is cognitively there. So not only is it a lie, but contextually it is a lie that is extremely important.
Speaker 8: See, this is what infuriates me so much that the media this week has decided that they can start talking about Biden's decline. These are two terrible examples, but these cannot be the only examples in the forty years of the Biden presidency of this going on. But now it's okay to say, actually, yeah, six months ago, you know that I had an interview with him.
Speaker 3: It was weird.
Speaker 1: That is not on.
Speaker 8: This is a press pack that for four years has either been outright lying to us or at the very best, going along willingly with the narrative. The Democratic Party is saying, because we've had oh you know, there's the weird clips of him, but behind closed doors he's doing skateboard tricks and reciting Sonet's backwards and the media was like, oh, well, I'll take that. Yeah, I'll know, press send on that copy. It's a complete lie. They've been caught out now because the truth is in front of us after this debate, and their reputation's at stake, because how can we trust anything that people have been saying, Biden's healthy, Biden's healthy, Biden's healthy. But here's my point on another issue. Sorry, you're the guy that said Biden's healthy, we don't trust you anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a really good point, Sophie. Institutional trust in general has been on the decline. It's something that we know how much has this whole saga damaged the credibility of the institutional media, the journalists who sit there. I take a point that make the point that Peter Doucey in the front row from Fox News, he's consistently been asking quite provocative questions. He's someone that's quite a good operator there. But the pack in general has really been running a protection racket for this man and this presidency. It's the opposite of holding power to account. They're really protecting him. Why are they doing that and how much damage has this caused their credibility.
Speaker 9: I think it's caused immense damage to the media's integrity. And also they're doing this because a large contingency of the media, not just in Australia, not just in the US, but around the world is left leaning and they want to be players. They don't want to do their jobs. They want to come in and be advocates and activists. Unfortunately, the media industry is seeing more of this. However, I would argue that Joe Biden needs to front the cameras and needs to do more live TV so we can see him for what he is. Forget the teleprompters, forget the transcripts, and that's what we saw in their debate with Donald Trump, where it was an absolute dog's breakfast because he couldn't cope under that situation. The man is eighty one, he'll be eighty two in November, possibly eighty six if he wins his next term by the time he ends, So if he's like this now, I think there's a pretty rocky road ahead until November, and if he is the presidential candidate, and does win. I think this is incredibly concerning for America and the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a really good point.
Speaker 1: Let's move on now, because Malcolm Turbull went on the project this week and instead of having anything remotely constructive to say, he went on yet another toxic rant against the very man who leads his own party.
Speaker 10: What sort of prime minister will Peter Dunton make if he wins?
Speaker 3: I think that's something we should contemplate with dread.
Speaker 10: Really he's a thug.
Speaker 3: So how did Peter Dutton respond?
Speaker 11: I just think people can see through it and I wish him the best. I think he diminishes himself by making his comments. Malcolm's got an extra grind. I think it's sad.
Speaker 1: Let's bring the paddle back in James. Quite a contrast there, Dutton choosing to ignore an opportunity to whack this man who was essentially not called him evil, but he's derided him on a moral pretty close, pretty close to calling him evil, a thug, all these really volatile words, and Peter Dutton is you know, he wishes him well, what do you make of the two different presers?
Speaker 8: I saw it doesn't handle it really classically because it's very tempting and very easy to go on TV or radio and say that no one's cared what Malcolm Temple's had to say in six years. It's easy to say that his two biggest legacies of the NBN and Snowy Highs, are a colossal phase. It's really easy to say that when Paul Keaton criticizes a labor party as front page of the Australian, when Malcolm turn will criticize the Liberals, it's the third segment of the Sunday episode of a middling TV show and a failing network.
Speaker 3: But good I'm Peter Dutton for not.
Speaker 8: Raising any of those easy and rewarding points to make on TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good point, Sophie. The interview itself on the Project, it was a bit weak. I thought it was strange they would get Malcolm Turble. There's someone who is just essentially an activist. We're talking about activists the media before. He is someone who has become one who had a lot of credibility and he's turned into this ball of hate. Just to sit there and not push back at any of these suggestions and giggle like a bunch of idiots.
Speaker 3: I mean is that good television for you?
Speaker 10: Not really, Jack, but they are catering to their leftist audience.
Speaker 9: You could see the presenters on the program were absolutely lapping it up and Malcolm term Will in my view, completely embarrassed and humiliated himself by showing how bitter and twisted he has become.
Speaker 10: But he's going to get these.
Speaker 9: Softball interviews because he's giving the answers. He gave the thug line that has been picked up by media all around the country. That was what he wanted to do. That's his modus operandi is to really attack the coalition. And if you want someone to attack the coalition and do it day in, day out, his number is on speed dial with a large contingency of the leftist media in Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well said, we're going to take a quick break, but when we're back. How highly paid bureaucrats try to use your money to learn how to speak to the media. Welcome back now to Queensland, where the Department of Health has become embroiled in a cash for spin scandal. The Courier Mail reports Queensland Health hired agency to protect image under LNP attack. A furious health miner Shannon Fentaman said she had nothing to do with Queensland Health's controversial move to seek media training for executives, but then intervene to axit after becoming aware The Courier Mail had asked questions. It was today revealed Queensland Health hired a communications agency to teach top bureaucrats how to protect the government's image from L ANDP attack when parliamentary estimates hearing start this month. Queensland Health allocated tens of thousands of dollars to engage Brisbane's communication agency Roland to deliver media training to its executives. Now let's bring the panel back in James. I've always got an issue. I've got an issue for a few things. First of all, the Palichet government when Anastasia Palichet was the Premier, made a reputation for itself hiring all these spin doctors to about thirty at one point in her office just to massage the messaging to batterway criticism. It's very hard when you're a journalist in an under recent source newsroom to do your journalism in these situations. Queensland has had issues with hospital ramping, shortage of nurses all of these major issues which are impacting Queensland as lives. Instead of fixing it or hiring consultants to help them figuring it out, they're trying to hire people to spin it so that it doesn't look as bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And with the Paloja thing, it's like, if you hire the journalists, there's no one left to criticize your government.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they hire all the best. Yeah.
Speaker 8: It's the interesting thing for me is that Australians tend to have and it's probably good for our society that they do, but they tend to have a real faith in their institutions, in the public service. They think like they're the boffins. They're doing their job, they're getting it done, they're not really political. It's stories like this that really chip away at that trust. And if people start to think, in a red hot example like this that the public some bureaucrats are getting far too close to one side of politics, that trickles down to a situation where if people start to really not trust their institution, it's not great for how the country is actually going to run.
Speaker 1: You're right, there is a political element to it as well, Sophie, because part of the brief was specifically to buffer LMP attax. But the LMPE tax are about changing policy, so it's a really weird area for bureaucrats bureaucrats to get into. But I guess i'd make the point all that money that you're spending on spin doctors, what about more frontline nurses, what about improving facilities? To me, it just doesn't seem like the right way to spend taxpayer dollars.
Speaker 10: Well, I think you make a very good point there.
Speaker 9: It doesn't wash well with the public when taxpayer funds are being spent in excess. Some would argue on spin doctors to make sure the government's messaging is put out in a fashion that they want it to be put out. This is a government in Queensland that is really struggling ahead of the upcoming October election. I believe they're clutching at straws and they're trying to do anything to try and reshape their appearance in the media, make sure that they come off, you know, come out of this looking good, and they're doing everything they can to do that. But this was highly embarrassing for them to be caught doing this and then have to say that, you know, they will no longer be engaging spin doctors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well said Network ten, maybe in the firing line after a major corporate merger involving its parent company has resulted in the need for billions of dollars and cuts. Umbrella reports Paramount bosses have earmarked close to three billion Australian dollars in cost savings following this week's announcement that Skydance Media will acquire Paramount's owner, National Amusements and merge with sky Dance with Paramount Global to form new Paramount.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Umbrella goes on to say that this puts Network ten in a precarious position, but sources within Network ten have disputed the more severe doom and gloom rumors. Now let's bring the panel back in New Paramount. First of all, I mean, what a day, What a creative for a company Network ten. It's the project. Obviously, all broadcasters are struggling with transitioning from the traditional linear model to a digital model, but this in particular seems to be the weakest of I guess the three major free to airs.
Speaker 3: How do you think this is going to play out?
Speaker 8: Primarily, it's going to play out poorly for Malcolm Turnbull because that listed it's just shrinking by the day. But yeah, I mean, as you say, the Channel ten is not the only freedoware channel under a bit of pressure right now, and certainly it's not the first time we've heard the Channel ten's on its last day, so we'll see what plays out here. But yeah, you raise a good point. I mean, I cannot remember the last time I sat down and watched freeware television at all. And I can't remember the last time a show that was on seven, nine or ten captured the imaginations of my friends or anyone younger than me. I just I struggle to see in thirty years time, if there is any freeware channels at all.
Speaker 3: It'll be interesting. Sophie else worth your.
Speaker 9: Thoughts, really, James makes very good points there that there is a major overhaul in the way people consume their content. Obviously, streaming is taking eyeballs off linear freedomware TV, and this is the real challenge.
Speaker 10: So the juries out on whether the commercial.
Speaker 9: Networks can sustain this surge in people turning to streamers. But we know for a long time Channel ten has been struggling, and this isn't foreign to many media companies at the moment, both here in Australia and globally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think where Channel ten might actually get into a bit of trouble is if they decide to act some of the rights and the licenses such as The Simpsons or other programs that they aren't necessarily producing here but they're leveraging here for quite financial gain for paramount plus the streaming service, or do they get rid of it. That's something that could end up hurting the bottom dollar and leading to more job losses. But look, let's move on to stories of the week, James, what do you have for me?
Speaker 8: Yeah, So the thing with politicians is they tend to be extremely we people, abnormal and just odd strange people.
Speaker 3: And the reason like and they don't journalists though, yeah, to be fair, but.
Speaker 4: They don't like that.
Speaker 8: And they tried to do the social media stunts in which they look cool. And I've just got a couple of examples of just why they should just embrace the fact that they're not normal people. So starting off with Stephen Mars this week, who wanted to make a big announcement about car registration over in Queensland. The music is fantastic, so for people not aware that is from the Fast and Furious movie franchise. Steve mill is not a cast member of it. I don't know how many media advisors have stayed on since Palage lost, but.
Speaker 3: I think that might be. He's the one that would always post photos in the gym, wouldn't he? I mean sees himself.
Speaker 8: I mean he is a big guy, but like still not what you wanted a leader. But as if not to be outdone, I just want to show you just into Alan Victoria Premier today and how she wanted to announce her big housing policy.
Speaker 10: We are going to need to get a much big out stamp.
Speaker 3: Just put out a press release.
Speaker 1: That's what they think building houses is. They're like done it, jobs of our mission complete to the Andrews government lives on. That's crazy, That's brilliant. Sophie Elsewhere Story of the week.
Speaker 3: What do you have for us?
Speaker 9: Well, importantly, Jacket's The Australian's sixtieth anniversary on Monday July fifteenth. There's obviously the Sky News exclusive documentary that will air at eight pm on Monday night, and we also have a weekend magazine coming out in Saturday's Weekend Australian featuring some of the biggest movers and shakers over the last sixty years, so very historical time journalism, very important for the Australian, so make sure you tune in and read The Australian across the weekend.
Speaker 1: We'll definitely be tuning in. I mean, what a brilliant paper. Some of the stories that you've been involved in, the Headley Thomas investigations that have made headlines around the world. Absolutely brilliant paper. Sophie Elsworth, James Bolt, thank you so much for joining me. That's all the time we have for tonight, but up next is Lefti's losing it.