Speaker 1: And a Lady and a Lady, A Lady, A lady. I'm filtered.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, and welcome to another podcast. My name is Hayley and I'm Lauren and we are at.
Speaker 1: A Lady Unfiltered with Beesties.
Speaker 2: We're business partners and we're the creators of adel Lady. Hello, I say hey, Loszy Media. And we do everything together except bag except one time, because there's a baby in between us.
Speaker 1: She's squiromy, so cute.
Speaker 2: Don't talk. We are recording a podcast.
Speaker 1: She actually doesn't make you sound well.
Speaker 2: She will now because she knows b'ron air bron air and.
Speaker 1: Now she's talking for the first time.
Speaker 2: Sorry, we all have to go because I need to feed. It's so nice to have you back on my couch.
Speaker 1: Do you know what you look A million bucks?
Speaker 2: Me? Yeah, I feel about what twelve, not by what you're wearing or anything like that. I mean, is it my maternity ties to come over my books?
Speaker 1: No, you look alive. You don't look dead like I was expecting.
Speaker 2: That's really nice. Yeah, the backhanded compliment. I thought you'd look terrible, but you look fairly good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you look nice.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling good. I'm getting good sleep like she's dream Don't tell that to you.
Speaker 1: Your friends that have just had a baby, they're not listening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get you feel guilty if you've got a really good baby, don't you. Oh, we're not sleeping. I was like me either.
Speaker 1: I'm sleeping all the time.
Speaker 2: Five year olds are way harder than you.
Speaker 1: In fact, I'm just saying it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not talking about babies this episode because we're beyond that now.
Speaker 1: No, we can't.
Speaker 2: Out of my belly, out of sight, out of mind.
Speaker 1: We don't care about babies anymore. We'll never talk about pregnancy every Oh.
Speaker 2: She just opened her eyes. Don't mess with her. If she's anything like Sophia, she will find you leamnes.
Speaker 1: And style and she'll stab me.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, shopping list, All right, we've got a Men of the Week each I love our little mems because they're always quite random and I never know what's going to come Props. Today, I have props. I'm going to talk about something that you and I do that annoys everyone in the world, but it doesn't annoy us, and that's why we're besties.
Speaker 1: I love that about you.
Speaker 2: And you're going to talk about I'm going to talk about I overheard something on face time with my eleven year old and his friends.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to censor a word. The word in itself is okay, but used in this context is not okay.
Speaker 2: And it's really triggering for me. And I will explain why. Okay, it's something that it means a lot to me because of.
Speaker 1: The past. It'll make sense when I get to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's start with you, mem all right, Well, I'd just like to celebrate we have a new fan I love fan mail, you know, like people liking the show, people sending nice messages.
Speaker 1: Else is so nice? Can I say? The messages are so beautiful?
Speaker 3: I screenshot them all and then often share them like it's big, noting ourselves.
Speaker 2: So on Instagram, I've seen that. I've been meaning to talk to you about that. Here we are, So remember that time my mom said she hated the podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she hated the podcast. Was disappointed in you.
Speaker 2: Yes, but she'd never listened to the podcast. She didn't like me just talking about shit. Yeah, she's got private, Yeah, she's quite prudish. My mum born in eighteen forty three, Awson, do you know what's fun? I also have to watch myself now because she's listening. I can't Yeah, you can't tell anything bad about it?
Speaker 1: Her up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So anyway, so she hated the podcast after On Saturday, I got these messages saying, I just feel like I've been sitting on the couch with you.
Speaker 1: And Haley or morning. Okay, hang on, hang on, can we do something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna go to my message because I got a message from Jewels and let's read out the message at the same time and see if she copied it.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, wait, okay, hen we find it. Molly Molly, Molly, Florence, Florence, like there's a lot of are you ready, okay, Hi, I've.
Speaker 3: Been listening to the podcast all morning. I've had you by Oh wait, wait, I get you that. I love that they are brought to you by a.
Speaker 2: Toilet paper company because you talk so much crap, so fitting, very funny. And then I got cry emoji, cry emoji, cry emoji.
Speaker 1: And then I got a photo with her dog.
Speaker 2: And then I got a photo with her dog.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then she said I loved listening to it. It was like I was sitting on the couch with you too. And then Burjo said, listen next week, I tell her on the podcast that she's full of shit, okay, And then my mom said, okay, because we all know that you're a Cornadis and we're all getting up and that's the annoying thing. Mum's always calling me a cornatist, and now Burjo started calling me a cornadan. She yeah, because I used to be like, i'll be home at seven, and then I do that. Now I'll be at.
Speaker 1: The meeting at two and you're never there.
Speaker 2: And I said to Berjo, i'll be home, I'm leaving. I'll be home from the Kangar Island Fairy at six thirty, but I'm hopping on the six thirty fairy and then it's an hour and then I have to drive from Cape Jervis. Because she often to go, oh, that's cool, she'll be home there, Whereas if I just said I'm going to be home at nine thirty, it's fine. But when I saw home six thirty and then get home at nine thirty and try and blame the fairy for beingle yeah, when he knows it.
Speaker 1: Was just me. Yeah. Anyway, your mum's a fan.
Speaker 2: Anyway, she's a fan, loves the show, so thank you.
Speaker 1: That is seriously the best thing from Jewels.
Speaker 2: It's gone from zero. She will tell you what's what she always has. If she doesn't like something that you and I are doing, she will tell you straight away. It's not funny, terrible. She's actually said to us. I remember when we I don't even want to say this because I don't want people to google, but when we've first started up, and I know exactly, but your mom was like, the only person that said that is so cringey, why are you doing that? I think she caught us try hard, try hard, and nobody else said it, but we knew inside our hearts, so we were massively try hard cringey Jesus, and she was right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was right.
Speaker 2: Mom's always right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my mom didn't tell us that, but she thought she thought.
Speaker 2: It, but Rosa kept it in turner, whereas my mom had to externalize it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why we love you, Jewels.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jewels number one fan. We should buy us some twitch those big hands for jewlsye all right, my mem you know how my love language is acts of service. I know. I just asked everyone if they wanted a cup of tea. Everyone said no, and you were like, oh.
Speaker 1: Everyone goes. I don't want to put you out. You're a new mum. You need to sit down. And I looked at you with my little sad eyes.
Speaker 2: I was like, el gray with one sugar with blood.
Speaker 1: Bit of cream? Are you these ones? I hope that's frost.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it's press.
Speaker 1: I love people doing things for me.
Speaker 2: It's my don't buy me things, don't buy me flowers or anything like that. I just love if someone does buy me a tea or does not buy me tea, get me a tea, just does something that makes my life a.
Speaker 1: Little bit easier.
Speaker 2: Though it was different.
Speaker 1: I want gifts, yeah, I know you do. I just love it so much.
Speaker 2: And the other day I've been I feel like I'm like at a rule. Just to be completely honest, I feel like I'm a bit overstressed at the moment with like I did this test thing last week where I put my feet into this water and all the toxins came out and everyone in this room has seen it. It was black afterwards, wasn't it. It was disgusting. It was like, I've got so much stress coming out of me. I don't know why. There's well, there's a lot of little layered things anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I got my period, and so I on the weekend, I did plarties.
Speaker 1: I left. I was tired, I was achy.
Speaker 3: I sawed all the things and then I called Jimmy and I'm like, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: He goes, I'm just the chemist. I'm like, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: He goes, well, I just went to ask what they've got for period pain, because obviously what you're using isn't right. So I've got a couple of different brands for you to make sure that. And I'm like, you asked the lady at the chemist about period pain.
Speaker 1: It's so nice. I asked you to say that. You just went and did it. And now I have like new tablets to try. And he's so nice. It's so nice. Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's your love language.
Speaker 1: It is just heaven, guys.
Speaker 2: Not that we've got any guys listen to this show, but do these little things for your partner. That's really everything. Whereas my love language was a tennis price after having a kid, and here we are without a tennis bracelet in the mill. We can be sponsored by a tennis To be honest, I don't get your fascination with tennis bracelets. Who in little diamond though you can barely see them the one I want, you can fucking see.
Speaker 1: I have big a tennis bracelet.
Speaker 2: I don't knows. I have to drag my home.
Speaker 1: And why are they so expensive? Because they're diamonds all the way around your wrist. Just go to clients and get a fake one.
Speaker 2: Clients literally died in nineteen sixty exist anymore?
Speaker 1: Do they know?
Speaker 2: Next week? Probably brought to you by climb?
Speaker 1: Hey can we check? Give clients still exist?
Speaker 2: I used to get my best friend arms Mary clients Marrion, No, there was a client's at Burnside. Where's it yet? K l I E n S? Where's our fact checker? Mum also laughed about how like we don't know anything and Millie has to fact check us for everything. So funny clients, Millie, Yeah it was a jewelry plans. Yeah, there's one at Marion.
Speaker 3: French Arms there all the time, and get my jewelry there, clients, I don't think it exists anymore.
Speaker 2: Who did one of Moggie's best friend's dad's owned one and colonades? Did you get a discount liquid added in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: I'm so relevant on this show. You are babies eighteen years ago.
Speaker 2: You were telling a story before about how you walk cloth nabbes.
Speaker 1: How old? I don't know, are you okay? I don't know clients?
Speaker 2: Yea. Anyway, what's the other store that like Liviza Leviza? It's Clarin's Levitza Loviza or Louisa Millie? Fuck it's another one. God, where would you be without Millie? I know, Mum, we'd be fucked without her Levizaza. So we had the wrong and fastest on the wrong selar you and I always say, with your half a brain and my half a brain, we've got a full brain. We've got the same brain, half brain, small together, we can do it.
Speaker 1: Any full brain, like a massive brain, like an aural brain.
Speaker 2: Yes. But like the other day, went to the supermarket because I ran out of everything. The tea is the coffee, the milk's like, we've got people coming over, lots of things. And I bought a box of tea and I opened it and this this is how I opened the teak. So Burjo goes to the pantry and he's like, you are such a smart person. How could you could not it's like a bear has rummaged it.
Speaker 1: It's got honey on it, and he's trying to rip it open with his teeth.
Speaker 2: Like it's basically you just swipe that bit across, open it up like a box, and you've got a fresh box. But that's how I left the tea. And then I thought of my mate piercing, because you will literally go into a loaf of bread and rather than doing the tie at the top, you rip open the whole loaf of bread.
Speaker 1: I do it with cereal cheese, with cheese.
Speaker 2: Cheese where it's like resealable at the top, I'll cut below that and I get into so much so see that bit that seals it like seals the cheese, and you've cut below the seal and now it's going to go off. My huh, I don't know what that is that there is there a word for people who just have to do that?
Speaker 1: Or is that an ady ahd thing?
Speaker 2: Well, this is what I wanted to ask you. Why do we do this? Because my whole pantry is I get stressed. It's like I get hot and flustered when I just but even though I wasn't having a tea at that time.
Speaker 3: Okay, So what's funny is I was away with my friend Alice. You know my friend Alice, and who the fuck is Alice?
Speaker 1: Who the fuck is Alice?
Speaker 3: We went shopping and we came home. We had all those paper bags from the shopping. I think, right, every time we have a paper bag, it never occurs to me ever to keep the bat to fold them, because they come neat and tiny. I literally go put them in, takes up so much space. And I watched her fold everyone so neatly, and they all sat inside each other and took up no space.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh, how do you do that?
Speaker 2: Do you know the other thing I've noticed with you? Every time you come here, you ask me where my cups are?
Speaker 1: I don't remember things like that, your apology.
Speaker 2: Come to my house like twice away, It doesn't stick. It's like Chinese, but like the cups don't move.
Speaker 1: I still don't know where they are. You can't tell somebody where your cups are.
Speaker 2: Every time wearing cups, I'm like, the same please last week? But like, is that because our brains are so full of all this other stuff that we can't remember. I don't know what it is does Jimmy get annoyed at you sometimes.
Speaker 1: Of course I'm not get annoyed at him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can get because I don't care.
Speaker 1: I don't care. I don't care.
Speaker 2: I don't care about this stuff because we're perfect in other ways, but also superficial stuff like I don't care about who cares.
Speaker 1: I just that is so good.
Speaker 2: Can we please put a photo of that on our social because like, the way you've opened that is better than you've ever opened anything in your life. Thank you.
Speaker 1: That's how I think should be open.
Speaker 2: Do you know what's annoying? I reckon Sophia would have done a better job to this point. Why were you so desperate for a tea at that point? I didn't even have a tea. I just wanted to get it open to go on my pantry.
Speaker 1: I didn't even drink the tea.
Speaker 2: I just knew that, like in like two hours, when I wanted a tea, I wouldn't open. I was getting stressed.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're gonna we're gonna do some more research on this.
Speaker 2: I have put it out there actually to try and get someone to talk to us about ADHD, because we have said on this show.
Speaker 1: That we are undiagnosed. And I'm pretty sure you've.
Speaker 2: Got sidetracks and you forgot about it, so you haven't got This is gonna be the best episode ever. Do we talk and that I don't care anymore. I hate that it leaves my body. You and Burgio are the same like that.
Speaker 1: Oh I know.
Speaker 2: I'm not as up and he's very driven by dope. You know what. I actually had to have a god him yesterday because he is so helpful around the house and doing everything, but with his ADHD brain. He started unpacking the dishwasher. All the drawers were open, and then he did one level and then went and had a shower. So then I went into the kitchen almost tripped over the dishwasher. I would never you don't leave the dishwasher open with the things now because you forget because something else important company. He just went he like took the glass that and went, I'm going to go have a shower.
Speaker 1: I love this all the time. I get because it's the tripping hazard.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I'm just holding Florence going to make a bottle tripping over a dishwasher anyway.
Speaker 3: All right, stay with us in a second, I'm going to talk to you about a word that is triggering for me and my family, and I heard it come up in a conversation with my eleven year old, and I want to tell you about that.
Speaker 1: You say, all right, you know the old saying that.
Speaker 3: My parents used to say to us, Sticks and stones will break our bones, but words willever hurt you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's bullshit, because words hurt bs, words sting like nothing else, and then you can hold onto them for fifty years.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes it's worse than the punch.
Speaker 1: It's always worse because the punch goes, bruises, fade.
Speaker 3: But words will stay with you forever. Tell your kids that one.
Speaker 2: I want to bring this up because there's a word for me in my house that is triggering and I overheard it on a FaceTime.
Speaker 1: With my eleven year old and his mates.
Speaker 2: I'm not I don't want to punish kids for saying this, but I want. I think it's a learning experience and the word should be used in a better context.
Speaker 1: That word is gay.
Speaker 2: So I was at home in the lounge room, hurt our fie on the phone, all all these mates there, I'll just make up a name that one of them was calling Tommy gay. They're like, oh, Tommy is so gay, Tommy's go But it was all in jest. It was all it was all fun, but everyone was laughing, but it was in negative connotation. It wasn't like, you're so gay, that's so cool. It was you're gay?
Speaker 1: Are you gay?
Speaker 3: Or you're your pathetic kind of thing right. And as this was happening, Alfie, with his big green eyes, looked up at me and froze. And I looked straight into his eyes and he knew what I was thinking, because it's not how I brought him up and he shut his laptop and I said, he goes, I'm sorry, mum, they just say it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm proud.
Speaker 2: Of you for not joining in and not saying it. And I'm not going to punish you. I'm not going to sense of.
Speaker 3: The word, but I want you to know how impactful that word can be it when used negatively. And I say this because my background growing up. My brother was five years older than me. He's not here anymore, he passed away fourteen years ago from addiction.
Speaker 1: But he was gay.
Speaker 3: And I have these really deep seated memories of when I would leave primary school and i'd walk home and I had all these kids in his year he would have been in his seven, so he wasn't out. He didn't come out to his sixteen.
Speaker 2: Coming up to me, going, your brother's are insert most revolting word ever said that rhymes with maggot.
Speaker 1: I'll say maggot instead of that word. Brother, your brother's a maggot. You're so gay? Oh my god, have you seen your brother? He said gay?
Speaker 2: And I was just standing at the lights, going, I don't even know what that means. Why are you saying that? Why are you being mean to my brother? Why is that a bad word?
Speaker 3: I didn't know right, and then these words started. I guess a series of events for my brother where he felt like he was a square.
Speaker 1: Peg in a round hole. He didn't fit in, he didn't like himself.
Speaker 2: He was bullied, he was teased, he was bashed up because he was gay. And so when I I've always taught my kids that you never ever, ever ever used gay in a bad word. Gay means love, It means you two people love each other. It can never be used in a bad way. So hearing them on that call, I was.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, please, no, please, no, please no.
Speaker 2: If I heard if we say that, I would actually be so disappointed, and he didn't. But I think it's the mum and dad's job to teach our kids that it's not a bad word. It needs to be out there more. It's a it's a normal word that means love between two people. And kids say the most horrific things. Yeah, often not knowing what they're saying.
Speaker 1: Oh, absolutely, they didn't know.
Speaker 2: Twenty five years ago, when I was young, we used to say that word. All the guys would say it. It was it was a word that was frequently used, and there were lots of other words that were used that was, whether it's sexuality, whether it was disabled people. Yeah, fifteen year old boys think all that shit is far. That's so true, and it is up to the parents to say something. Yeah, because they learned those words from somewhere, right, And I know that it wasn't malice. They're only eleven. They didn't really know what they were saying. But what I hated was that they were saying in a bad way because you never know that these kids thirteen, fourteen, eleven, twelve, whatever, they're just some.
Speaker 1: Of them are wondering. I don't know who I am?
Speaker 2: Am?
Speaker 3: I am I attracted to men? Am I attracted to women? You know, they're finding themselves.
Speaker 1: So if you're.
Speaker 2: Putting it out there it's a negative thing, they won't come out, they'll be scared.
Speaker 1: And then you get what's happened in the.
Speaker 3: AFL was where I don't know how you felt about this, but like that news article that came out with for the first footy player in one hundred and thirty years, the first ever was March twenty.
Speaker 2: Twenty six this year, he came out saying he was gay. Out of all those players, apparently, is the only one that was gay. My first thought would be like, how is this a new story? Yep, because like lots of people are gay, lots of people are straight, Like how is it a thing? Because people have been gay forever? Like, why is it a story?
Speaker 1: I see that?
Speaker 3: Because that was my initial reaction, and then I thought, Nah, this is excellent. This is so good for anyone out there who's growing up going, oh my god, that's me.
Speaker 1: The more you talk about it, the more normal it is.
Speaker 2: Do you RECKONCI? My kids wouldn't play football because I think I could be gay and I can't play football.
Speaker 3: No, I think that'd play football, they just pretend they're not gay. It's so sad, and this is why love shows like Lasso, where they did a whole episode on.
Speaker 1: One of the footballers, Colin. He came out as being gay.
Speaker 2: And I know your reaction is like, who cares? But because it's been hidden for so long and no one comes.
Speaker 1: Out because they're too scared, it's a good thing. It's a normal thing.
Speaker 2: So when Alfie was watching that, he doesn't even flinch. He's growing up his whole life watching stuff or me normalizing. I've always said to him since he was a little baby, when you grow up, you might want to marry a man or a woman or whatever. It's always been a thing. I've never ever made it. You're getting rid of the shame that might be attached to that.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's exactly what I want to do. But a lot of parents don't, well though, because they haven't.
Speaker 2: I have empathy towards that minority groups because I've been through that, and I guess if you haven't been through it, you don't feel that pain, and no you don't empathize with them. But yeah, it's about being empathetic towards people that are different people, whether you're disabled, whatever you are, there are going to be minorities and people are going to be different, and it is up to us. Do you know when we were in America with Sofia, there was a lovely man we went ice skating and he didn't have a leg and my three year old was looking at him because he was taking off his leg to put on a skate. And I was so embarrassed because Sophia kept looking and going Mum, what's happening, what's happening? And this man normalized it. He looked at us when it's okay, I understand, and he went, Hi, what's your name? And she says Sofia And he told her the story about how he lost his leg, what had happened, and how he was so proud that he could still ice skate, and she was just like, yeah, you can do anything. And she still talks.
Speaker 1: About that because you'll remember that for ever.
Speaker 2: Yes, because your biggest fear is that everyone's different in this world, and if your child looks at someone that might be it could be different skin color, Why are those two men holding hands, Why is she in a wheelchair?
Speaker 3: Yes, but if you normalize it, it's like magic seeing it's like the third eye.
Speaker 1: Kids see things.
Speaker 2: And as soon as you say it's not there, or as soon as you say that's not right, don't stare, don't look, don't ask questions, don't ask questions. And also that makes them feel special and then they can share their story with you. I gave this man a hug and I said, thank you so much. I know that might have been hard for you, but that will be a lesson that my little girl will take through life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she does.
Speaker 2: She still remembers it. He could still skate, Mummy. He had one leg, but he could still skate. And just knowing that you can do anything regardless of what you look like.
Speaker 1: And it's your parents.
Speaker 2: I look at my mom and dad and I there's such beautiful people.
Speaker 1: That dad was a hairdresser.
Speaker 3: So I grew up with mom and dad having a lot of lesbian and gay friends. It was very normal for me to go to their house like it was just a normal thing. So when I grew up and I started hearing gay used in a bad connotation, I was like, why.
Speaker 2: Mama Dad's best friends are what do you mean? Why is that a bad thing? Because I didn't know because Mom and dad always said it was a good thing. Can I say one thing as well.
Speaker 3: We're talking about trigger words at the moment, and for me it's it's using gay in a bad sense and the bad maggot with an F word.
Speaker 1: I know fat is a really sensitive word for you.
Speaker 2: I know you hate it, hate it and you'd rather say people say fuck to your kid than fat. Right, that's what I say. You can say fuck in front of my kid. But if you say foul, punch you. But if you look at the word fat, it's not a bad word. Everyone needs fat. You need blood, and you need muscle, and you need bones, and you need some fat.
Speaker 1: That's not a bad thing.
Speaker 2: But like I said, my dad will be like, oh no, no, it's got a fat tummy. No, no, it's got a fat tummy. I'm like, Dad, I don't want my kid associating a tummy with the word fat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's.
Speaker 2: Your word is gay. My word is fat. Because being different as a child and being bigger, like I was this height, this size when I was like in year five, Oh why you so fat? Can you wear that? Why can't you do that? Because you're fat? But fuck off? But why don't you change that you can change that. For Sophie, if anyone ever says to her, oh you've got fat, whatever, she can go, Yeah, I got a bit of fat, I got a bit of skin, I got a bit of wrinkles here, I've got a bit of everything. And then can I teach you to punch them brown upon?
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, we've always said don't comment on other people's bodies. But fat is not is not a bad word. It's just because we choose to use it in a bad way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right. Everyone's got a thing. Everyone's got a word or something that's happened to them that we need to try and stop passing on to our children. And also, if you okay, if you flip it, your dad's fat Tommy is cuddly for all the grandkids. It makes him lovable, like it's a pillow for the ground, like it's a good thing as well.
Speaker 1: You don't have to be a bad thing.
Speaker 2: I know, but that's where our brain go It's where your brain goes. Even if there's a twelve year old who's saying this word that doesn't get it, your brain will take you back to that trauma. So my brain takes me back to that trauma, I know, and it takes for someone strong. Like when you're fourteen or fifteen, all we want to do is be the same. It's so funny now in our day with like marketing and our business and everyone wants to be different and I look different and be different and different and be out there. When you're fourteen and fifteen, you just want to be I want to say, same height as everyone. I want to have the same hair. I don't want to stand ribbon. All my friends had pump bottles, so I had to have a pump bottle because I want to be the same. What the fuck it's a drink bottle. But at that time I had to be the same.
Speaker 1: I know. But then but that comes with age exactly.
Speaker 2: So in that time, that's where the parents play a really vital role to make sure that everything is accepted and was even with the AFL player coming out, I know our initial reaction.
Speaker 1: Was like, why is it a news story? Who cares it is gay?
Speaker 2: Because in our life it's just a who cares you're gay? Yeah it's fine, but it is.
Speaker 3: It's really important for little Tommy sitting at home going, oh, I can play foot and I can be gay, Like, the more people talk about it, the better.
Speaker 2: It's about being seen. Y Yeah, good on you for bringing that up. And it's up to us to change our kids and also change our parents. Do you know what?
Speaker 1: People? Sometimes I go, is it too late to Tome's parents? I often think about that.
Speaker 2: Uh No, I like to school people. So like when my dad was going to school, he the word wog was used. Dad has always said to us the amount of times I've been in a fight and punched someone out because the negative gannotation, you're a dirty wog. Whereas now I go, yeah, a wog. I love being a wog. I use that word because doesn't have the negative Italian, Greek, whatever nationality it's associated with it. But when Dad came off the boat, he didn't want to be different. My dad sat in the mirror. This is in the late fifties, and he taught himself to say he'd go good day, mate, goad day mate. And so now when you meet Dino, it's like, get a mate, Dino, how are you.
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Because he didn't want to be different. He just wanted to assimilate and be the same as everyone said. Him and his brother just tried to sound really Australia. So that was his word. Yeah, you know, everyone's got a thing. But like with my dad, I've had to try and teach him because back in the seventies and the eighties, they'd use negative connotations to the word gay. Yeah, and other words. My dad doesn't give a shit what you want.
Speaker 1: He doesn't, he doesn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if he says he doesn't mean anything by that's just what they said. But you and I have taught him that. And our old producer Christian Hull, you remember him, He was just like you know, da. Dad used to talk to him and love Christian and talk to him about dates. And Dad was kind of educated in his seventies about not using those words because it hurt feelings. Yeah, Dad's a good point. I often think that old people are too like as in the old old people.
Speaker 1: Are like, oh, I just let him go. He can be racist because he just doesn't know any better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, gosh, yeah, it's a whole We didn't tell my grandpa that that right was gay really for that reason. Yeah, do you reckon he would have had an issue?
Speaker 1: I don't know. We just didn't want to put it.
Speaker 2: We just I mean, he probably it was obvious, but I just we just didn't want to put it out there that to give him any reason to make Ryan feel bad. Not I don't think he would, but it's just an old school way of thinking. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, we hope you've learned something today. Yeah, thanks for hanging out.
Speaker 2: Thanks for hanging out, and can you send us a d M if you want us to talk about anything, if you like something, if you don't like something, Mum rate the episode.
Speaker 1: Oh we'd love that. Jeels chairs are eight numb one fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I expect some little ratings on Spotify.
Speaker 1: She's the new Nielsen.
Speaker 2: She's our radio ratings. We have them every six weeks on a Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a beautiful way. We love you, Love you, Bie,