Speaker 1: Well, Joe's The Dry was the second highest grossing film of twenty twenty one in Australia, took over twenty million dollars at the local box office to become one of the highest grossing Aussie films of all time.
Speaker 2: And now as a follow.
Speaker 3: Up, Yeah, and the star of it is just a young up and comer called Eric Banner and he joins us now. Of that twenty million dollars, Eric, how much of that did you pocket?
Speaker 4: Nineteen point eight eight? I think.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 3: When they came out, when they came out here to do the second version, second installment, all about it? Did you jump at it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well, it was interesting because we didn't really discuss it while we're making the first one. We were just so thrilled to be making The Dry and kind of scared of Jane Harper's fans because you know, they love that book so much, and we were just trying to do the best possible version, So we didn't really think about the second one whilst we're making the first one.
Speaker 4: And then Yeah, it turned.
Speaker 5: Into this this huge hit, which just gave us the opportunity to consider it. And then I was really excited because sequels and five in Australia just don't happen like rarely, and I've never done one in my career. So getting to do it with my dear mate Rob who's our writer director, was Yeah, it was awesome.
Speaker 3: And starring in this one alongside you is deb relief. And now she seems like a right cow. How did I ow on earth? Did you put up with her? She seems awful?
Speaker 5: Well, DEVI and I have known each other for nearly thirty years and was suggested by our Cassie agent who's Robbed Connolly's wife, Jane, and when she suggests it dead we were.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, of course she'd be bloody perfect, is Jill. But I was also spearing that it wasn't my idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And so you guys have had a friendship for a very long time ages Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, My wife and her are very close friends from way back, so you have known her forever.
Speaker 1: Force of nature to the drive to it's out this week, coming out on the eighth Mate. In terms of I mean, you've done so many things and gone in so many different directions, is.
Speaker 2: This the place that you're really proud of?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Look, you always you treat them all kind of similar, I guess, but there's no doubt that, you know, when an Australian film kind of punches above its weight and then and then travels like The Dry did really well internationally, and that's pretty exciting because you know, we don't we don't see Australians on cinema overseas, like, yeah, you see us as actors, but you don't hear Australian actors and world cinema, you don't hear our accent anywhere. So when Australian films travel, it's really important and it puts us on the map a little bit more, and especially when they're seeing Australia how it really is not not some kind of like generalization of an Australian country town or something, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Australian series at the moment, it just feels like a real purple patch. Like we've all watched Boy Swallow's Universe prosper just there is so much acting talent and it feels like you've front and center. Now, does it feel like that as an actor that this is your time?
Speaker 2: No? Not really.
Speaker 3: Good question, Joon's.
Speaker 5: No, No, yeah, it's you know, I never really have a sense of that that sort of stuff. You sort of go from one project to another. But it's awesome that that the three things are happening at the same time. I haven't seen Boy Swallow Universe verse yet. I read the book and really loved it, so it's it's fantastic And I understand that's doing really well overseas as well, is it.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so awesome.
Speaker 3: Everyone everyone on the planet has a favorite Eric Baner quote. And I'm sure you get shouted out down the street, but we just thought we'd chuck a couple at you. This is mine from Chopper.
Speaker 4: A nev Oh, you want to give me a bit of money? Would you do that?
Speaker 2: Mate? It's just the mail. I can collect it now if you like.
Speaker 4: I think someone's pulling your leg, mate, someone's pulling your leg, Neville. Someone will pull your other leg in a minute. Now, how much you want to give me?
Speaker 2: Eric? Can we ask you this? Has anyone ever in your life quoted a tropic quote back to you? I just can't imagine that.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, I love the fact that that Joe did the up and then actually played a clip of me talking, because usually when people want to use Chopper quotes, they go straight to the cash.
Speaker 4: You know, no cash live in my line.
Speaker 2: Y Vince's I'll never forget.
Speaker 4: I'll never forget that night.
Speaker 5: I mean, we were just absolutely pissing ourselves that it just took so much to get through that, through that scene.
Speaker 4: I can't I can't even tell you.
Speaker 3: It must have been taken so much to get through that film because it's so funny, but you have to deliver it like this guy's hardcore is serious.
Speaker 2: I don't even know how you.
Speaker 3: Got through the whole thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there were some days where we really really had a laugh, but a lot of it was deadly, deadly serious, as you can well imagine. But yeah, in particular, that night was probably the funniest night in the whole shoot.
Speaker 1: I want to take you right back to the Castle Dows because maybe my mate still sometimes quote the Great con Patropolis.
Speaker 5: There were so many stories, and the hotel Trace and I were staying in they had this one channel kickboxing twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: A d Every times of my lif I've used that, particularly in twenty four hours Hard Day.
Speaker 5: It's all in the emphasis. It's all in the emphasis. We put the emphasis. There's a little lesson.
Speaker 3: We came in the other day, we're talking about a kickboxer from Maths who's a new contestant. I don't know, if you follow Maths religiously.
Speaker 4: You're going to be shocked.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: We came in and Hazy was like kickboxing all day, Like, oh, that's just a channel bit of cony before we let you go, mate, your big Saints fan?
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yes? I am?
Speaker 2: Yes. Thoughts this year?
Speaker 5: Oh, very excited? Yeah, very excited. I love the fact we've gone on the draft the last few years and now our group of young players is emerging, getting stronger and pretty exciting, and we've got Ross back there and the off field stuff is incredible and we've been building for quite some time. So I'm really I'm really excited about about this year. I was excited last year as well, but the end of year is going to be amazing.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you guess, but Hazy used to work on se N, which is a sports channel. Mate, this is not the platform.
Speaker 2: This is Eric.
Speaker 1: Internationals exactly right mate. Lastly, as well, the Grammy is happening as we speak. You would have been to the oscars and all sorts of things several times.
Speaker 2: What actually goes on what's it like. Is it a big oldest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not great at this because I've only ever been once the year that Munich was nominated, and I've never had anything to do with it aside from that from that one year, and it was I was just trying to observe it all and there was a lot of kind of it was just the era unfortunately, where the swag started to drop off, so you know, they used to give actors all this free stuff to be to be part of these award shows and then and then it was my mind.
Speaker 4: Like where's all the free stuff? But it was pretty it was pretty insane, but it was. It was. Yeah, it was very bizarre as well.
Speaker 3: Walking a red carpet. I can imagine you just want to get it over with, wouldn't you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not my favorite day of the year, there's no doubt, but you just you just got to get yourself up for it, don't you.
Speaker 3: Just.
Speaker 2: I love that you've got that attitude as well.
Speaker 1: It's it's probably more it feels like it's more of an Australian way to not be right into the glitz and glamor of it all instead just prefer to behind the scenes make really good movies.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, and the reality is, thankfully it is for me.
Speaker 5: It's like at the most, like one one day at a three hundred and sixty five.
Speaker 4: You know, it always looks the other way around.
Speaker 5: When you're seeing you know, images of actors on red carpets everywhere, and you think it's a big part of the job, but it's actually such a thankfully, such a really really tiny part of the job.
Speaker 3: I just love that you'd be halfway down a red carpet thinking about sitting on the couch having a beer watching the Saints.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, No, there'd be no way I'd be going down a red carpet if it was a final on.
Speaker 4: Chance, no chance whatsoever, and there's a big actually, even a home and away game would be a bit of a stretch.
Speaker 2: Just why where? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Why is Eric watching ko on the record?
Speaker 2: Watching on your phone?
Speaker 1: It's possible. Force of nature the drive too. As we said in theaters this week on the eighth MA, congratulations on another outstanding installment and thanks so much for stopping mind having a chat.
Speaker 4: Thanks guys, thanks having Thank you so much. Have a great day, Alr, Jodie, see you