Speaker 1: This podcast was recorded and produced on gadigal Land. We would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians and pay our respect to elder's past and present. Ladies and gentlemen, Can I please have your attention?
Speaker 2: This is my final MATHS related interview.
Speaker 1: Are they talking about me?
Speaker 2: She's like, yeah, it was Australia's reactions because a lot of drama and they never got it.
Speaker 1: It just went nuts. Hello, this is Selena and this is tiny and we thought we'd do another extra bonus episode for you guys this week because a lot of stuff has gone the album on Maths. Yeah, always always, So this is Meet the Family.
Speaker 2: Wee yes.
Speaker 1: We're also joined by our producer Hannah we has thoughts.
Speaker 3: As well, so many yes yeh.
Speaker 2: Friends and Family week.
Speaker 3: So last night we saw Jackie and Ryan did their friends and family stuff.
Speaker 2: Boring, boring.
Speaker 3: What everyone was watching was Adrian and Athena, and honestly, I found it a really difficult watch.
Speaker 1: I found it extremely triggering. We were saying this super triggering, and I think not in the way that I thought it would be.
Speaker 2: I was like a drama tea. Then I was like, wow, this is like.
Speaker 1: A lot yep. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So for context, he was joined by his twin sisters Yes, and a friend Jasmine.
Speaker 2: Who is actually a TikToker.
Speaker 3: Yes, Jasmine eats Ye who has now come out doing like an apology, saying like tonight you'll see me on Maths. But you know, I come across in a way that it's not me. I'm not actually friends with him anymore. What did you guys think about that?
Speaker 1: I think it's great when anyone apologizes and he's accountable for what they have said and done. Obviously, I don't know if she saw that before she did that apology, because it was like probably worse than what she probably would have imagined. So part of me is like, Okay, she's acknowledged that she's not friends with anymore. I don't know what more we can get from her. But it was like, not good, babe. It was really like it was such a hard watch. And I have a lot of thoughts and feelings around girl best friends, and this is literally an example of what I hate and it just was like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Not good, Yeah, really not good.
Speaker 3: Before we get into like the actual behaviors and everything, I have a question as a viewer of Maths, Selena I'm not sure because of COVID. Did you do the friends and family?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Because your parents were on the show a.
Speaker 3: Lot, but I know that it was.
Speaker 1: Yes, So because of COVID we had to go to a cinema and watch our families and friends through like at the movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: It sucked because I wanted more one on one and they couldn't get my mum on time because the internet wasn't connecting or something on her end. Was it a video you could talk about a skype thing? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like a Skype interview.
Speaker 3: So do you guys know your friends and family that agree to be involved in it? A Did they sign contracts around their appearance?
Speaker 1: Yeah, same things, same things, similar to the contract that we signed. It's only like a three page or something, but it's the same. You might not be shown in a positive light, it's the exact same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: Interesting And do they get pushed by producers? Like would the producers have said, Athena sister's not here yet, I want you three to come in and go absolutely crazy a Afena, Defend Adrian, he's your best friend. Defend him, Defend him? Like could there be a little bit of that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, yes, Yeah, I definitely feel like they prompt you to being like, you know your brother's going through this, you know, really need you to emphasize on that, and like, yeah, yeah, I feel like they.
Speaker 3: Do interesting for sure. Did you feel the gang up thing with your situation? Not?
Speaker 1: Well. We actually had a lovely family and friends lunch. It was my sister and my best friend, and then it was partners.
Speaker 2: Mum and sister and it was fine. The only thing I.
Speaker 1: Felt was a bit crappy with that experience was that they'd flown from Perth and the time they got to spend together was only on camera really, so it was like an one hour or two hours. It was just a bit crappy because he couldn't really speak to them like off camera and like catch up about other stuff. And anytime we'd speak about stuff that was non show related, we got shut down by producers, so it'd be like, keep it to like the show, keep it to what you guys are doing. And it just was really weird and structured, whereas it wouldn't be like a normal one you'd have with like your friends and family chatting about life affairs or something, you know, So that's what is a bit forced and uncomfortable about it.
Speaker 2: But we didn't have the gang up.
Speaker 1: I felt like they did probe his mum and sister to ask certain questions which I think I answered fine, but it wasn't.
Speaker 2: I think it could have gone a.
Speaker 1: Different way if producers one or two, or if I have reacted differently potentially.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the other question I have as a viewer, just before we get into what happened is they were in.
Speaker 1: A pub in Wallara that I used to work was the same.
Speaker 3: No, I used to work at that pub, but when you go into that situation, there was kind of like patrons and different people outside as they walked in. Would they have like a room section of the production it wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Be people or yeah, no, it would be like a sectioned off bit and yeah, like we had at a weird time. So it wasn't when the pub was open, I think from my memory, so no one was in there.
Speaker 2: We had like the whole venue basically. Yeah, it was really weird. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Ours was during COVID, so we had to get special like approvals and for certain locations, so it was like vacant. We basically had the whole thing if you were allowed to film do it off site. But a majority of our show was filmed in sky sweets. That's what I just have to quickly add, it's not called sky sweets anymore because she's called something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah one, I don't know. I saw the sign. She was like, why is it not called sky sweets?
Speaker 1: Stop where the sky sweets? In my mind?
Speaker 3: So getting back to what actually happened now that all my sneaky questions about production are over. I know, Tiny you sent our group chat a little video of someone breaking down, Yes the behavior and you wanted to yes had it?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: So io video this morning. Actually it was by a creator called Amy Dickinson, and she pretty much said the behavior that we saw from the sisters and the friend was a I've never heard of this before, but it's called the monkeys, or like the flying monkeys, and it essentially is Wizard of Oz the flying monkeys.
Speaker 2: To do your dirty work for you.
Speaker 1: So whether that is supporting your views on things or like to attack you, whatever it is, it's like they're doing the work for you. And it kind of felt like that watching that scene was that the flying monkeys were the ones asking the questions. He had obviously told them a version of his events, which I mean you would probably believe your sibling and your friend of course naturally, and then they're going in knowing that, ready to attack and defend him. And it obviously came off really badly on the girls. I'm sure they didn't expect it to go that way, but it's a thing that we see happen a lot. I don't know if anyone has also been in narcissistic relationships where you can feel quite isolated when you have a sense of your reality, and then when other people get thrown in the mix, you kind of want them to like validate you, and when they don't see opposite and you feel attacked, it just makes it like worse much. I'm not saying that's what this is the case is, but I'm just in general, that's what that whole thing was. And it was really hard to watch, and it was really like whoa, Like, what's going on? It just seemed ridiculous, like the whole thing. So recently, I've shared a lot about my family dynamic on TikTok, and as someone who's done a lot of therapy, I realized that my mom is a narcissist, and being raised by a narcissistic mom is on a whole nother level. I don't have any siblings either, so it was literally myself, my mom, and my dad. And all I can say is the one thing that is worse than are narcissist is that enableers for people that are around them, that back them and awful. Yeah, awful, And they make you feel like you already feel crazy when you're being gastly by a narcissists. Yeah, and when you've got someone closest to you that's meant to protect you going no, like you know, you're meant to be a good girl, you meant to behave like she's your mom. Yeah, Like I kind of felt like it was the same dynamic. Yeah with Adrian and his sisters. Sisters were like enabling his bad And it's hard because there's no denying that he might be a good brother, he might be a good friend, but he's just a shit boyfriend, like he's a ship partner, and that I think sometimes in these situations it can be hard for family members and friends to differentiate that. Yeah, And it's not like just because someone is bad in one area of their life. They're horrible in every other aspect, Like I'm sure he's got a great relationship with his family and with the friend. Well not anymore because they're not friends. But you know, it's like they it's hard when they're just seeing things blindly from his perspective. They and they weren't even listening to what Athene was saying, like they were just like like piling on and I just was like, can you just hear what she's saying? Also, I think that I wanted to flag the aggressive comment felt a little bit like a microaggression how they were saying when clear is it clear? At the sisters was like fighting back who slay, loved her, need her in my every opportunity, and they were just like bring the decibels down, and you're being really aggressive. I just am like triggered, like hate hate that hate that. I just hated how they brought up Athene's child. Oh yeah, like you know, like the whole like, oh you know I do bring up my child every now and then. Then someone was like that will dig and oh well she'll hope so and it's like, dude, that was so unnecessary to say that. The sister being like I've taken time away from my child. As if three days compares to three weeks. I could not I was so triggered.
Speaker 3: Also, I feel like there's all this enabling behavior of the family and the friends and enabling ag and to act like that. But on top of it, I feel like Maps as a whole is enabling the behavior. This is what I mean, because they let those three women in there to start when her support person wasn't having ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's.
Speaker 1: Like that was a choice that was excited and that's absolutely choice because people are getting wiped up. They arrive at the same time, there's a production schedule that's intentional.
Speaker 3: You're filming intentional.
Speaker 1: And there's only one or two cameramen, so you know, that's like they're all they're separated, and then you do it and you do it again and then you're ready.
Speaker 3: Well, we better wrap it here as normal. We have the episode on Thursday. But yeah, we just wanted to get down and dirty about Summer the year stuff we saw on TV.
Speaker 1: Thank you lady, Thank you