Speaker 1: Hey, they're healthy sh listeners.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us on this daily podcast from Body and Soul. I am your host of Felicity Harley. Do you want to live a long and pain free life? Gosh, sounds like an advertisement, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Well, my guest.
Speaker 2: Today is going to share one practical tool to help boost your longevity. Now, it may be something that you've never really thought about before. Rod Perez has coached countless elite athletes, has a degree in exercise science in his author of a new book called the Art of Longevity, and he joins me in the studio to discuss this one tool. If you do like what you hear from Rod listening to Extra Healthy Ish, where he shares his holistic approach to aging, you can search for that one wherever you get your podcasts. Rod, thank you for coming in to the studio today.
Speaker 1: Nice to meet you.
Speaker 3: Thank you for Felicity. Thank you very much. You have me.
Speaker 2: I have to say, you've got these lovely calming aura about your listeners. I mean, you can't say it, but you can feel it. You've got great energy.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about how you get that energy.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: I thought, you know we know meant almost about listeners know that when it comes to longevity, sleep, exercise, nutrition. But there's something in your book that you write about that actually piqued my interest, and that's the importance of mobility.
Speaker 1: What's the link here? Why is mobility important?
Speaker 3: Mobility is so important to be alife?
Speaker 4: Okay, let's like a lot of people have this in mind and thinking mobility is stretch and mobility for me? And is it strengthen your body and different ranges make your body be able to move in different plans, going low gates or such positions you'll never be in your life and you will be able to be. And sometimes you go into this position if not able to do it, that's what the injuries come along. Lower back pain, hip pain, doing on the knee, things like that. And on the long term of life, we see like big problems into knee replacements, hip replacement and help floor problems. Now as females get the good stability across the pebble floor after had one two, three babes have cesarean how few guys I'm not, but I work with peel and then it's a big thing I picked up. Now it's just strength. The area and strength different positions. As a female, they have way more mobility than males. You very rare to find some females they.
Speaker 3: Know, very mobile, but talk about them.
Speaker 4: As a long term we should have a good mobility to just keeping going, like going up downstairs.
Speaker 1: I mean just things picking up the shopping.
Speaker 3: Yeah, simple things.
Speaker 4: Just be able to bend to pick up a baby in the floor. No, just pick up a fruit, want to drop No, Just to avoid injuries. And the big one is that lower back pain.
Speaker 2: Now, tell us a bit about the test that you write about that can almost predict your life span in some ways, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: It's it's just pretty much sit down the floor, cross your legs and try to.
Speaker 3: Stand up from there. No, and sounds so easy, it's so easy.
Speaker 4: But the main goal is just try to stand up from that position without using any support, without use your hands, without using like touch anything, knowing the wall or chair, nothing. If you're able to stand up easy and come down the same position easy, yeah, I could score ten for you. That's perfect now, but I know majority of people cannot do it.
Speaker 3: And as a long term, have a couple of research.
Speaker 4: They wrote a paper back to Europe and they move down to Us and they could find people over sixty five seventies.
Speaker 3: If they're not able to stand up.
Speaker 4: The floor, people could shut up their life because it's a lot going on on the pelvic floor, a lot of blood even I don't know if you heard before, like a lot of people as getting like seventy five eighties.
Speaker 3: If they break the heap is a big problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of stress can start happen, a lot of other injuries can come along in a short time.
Speaker 2: What can we do now, you know, whether we're in our twenties, thirties, forties, fifties, before.
Speaker 1: We get to seventy to help increase our my ability?
Speaker 4: Definitely we need the routine. That's a big thing. And one thing I to everyone move every day, move for life. So you don't need much like small routine ten minutes every morning fifteen maximum thirty minutes if you get.
Speaker 3: It right, exercise for who you are.
Speaker 4: Your positions to improve all the joint movement, get a better range, not even the joints. Your spine. No spine is a big one for us. We need to sit.
Speaker 3: Up and write. When you stand up and write, nopes.
Speaker 1: Someone em mentions.
Speaker 2: That's funny how you just automately go okay, let's sit up straight.
Speaker 4: Yes, and that's why we will avoid a lot of these injuries. Not only this, no, so we create more fertility at the body. For the day, your body be much happier with you. Give you a big smile for the day, because if you have to catch something from the floor, or if you be behind the desk all day, now, that will help.
Speaker 3: You to prevent a lot of injuries and make you move better. No simple things.
Speaker 2: It's so important. I mean when you were talking there, I was thinking. So often we strive to, Oh, I want to do the half marathon, or I have to train for all this, but it often overshadows training for the every day thinks like picking up the fruit off the floor, and that is more important.
Speaker 3: It is it is, it is.
Speaker 4: It's just kind of thing like And that's when we try to think about fitness and healthy.
Speaker 3: Now I try to divide. I don't think if fitness ended up and.
Speaker 4: The healthy okay, so be healthy and just be able to move without pain for entire life, for the goals of for who you are. Fitnesses show off how hard it can go and how big s expect you have or big gas. So that's what's coming along a lot these days and people forgetting about what's the important? What is the sustability for your body for what you're doing every single day? And like mobility work, it's importance definitely, high intensed training is importance, but very short dosage, long card is important. It is strength, it is no but everything. How can be sustainable for.
Speaker 3: A whole life?
Speaker 1: What do you do every day to increase your longevity?
Speaker 3: I don't forget about my routine.
Speaker 4: Okay, so my morning routine is just moved my whole body as a good way to create the mobility.
Speaker 3: And make sure I switching all my muscle What do you do?
Speaker 4: I have a small routine during the morning, said exercise I do. I'm sharing in the book so for everyone be able to do it now so if they don't understand how to do it, they can. They will be able to jump on my YouTube channel and fall in a class with me that's taking between ten minutes up to twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: I try to do that every day.
Speaker 4: I switch on my core, I switch on the muscles, what I needed for squads, for launches, all the main patterns we use in during the day. That's one thing I try to never missed. Now if I'm just going for surfing, if I'm just gonna work, I have a full day, I don't gonna have twumit to do any training. I try to do this goal twenty minutes every morning, and plus make sure I do it at least ten minutes of migitation just to help my mind be nice and manageable with my.
Speaker 3: Stress for the day.
Speaker 1: Great start the morning, beautiful. Thank you for coming on healthy Ish.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: If you want to know how to actually go about doing that exercise to increase your mobility. To check in with how well you're doing, grab Rod's new book. It is called The Art of Longevity. Thank Sure you also jump on rate and review this podcast. Are you subscribing? If not, press subscribe wherever you get your podcasts anything else? Heret to body andsoul dot com dot you follow us on socials. Grab our print edition which is out in your local Sunday paper, and until tomorrow, stay healthy Ish.