Speaker 1: Big week of NRL. Some clubs two and zero, others zero and two. Some people finding new homes for next season already after two rounds. Dave Ricchio hot take for the week.
Speaker 2: Oh look, Mobzi ready, this one's got me a little bit bothered. And I and you know what, so often halves in our game, copp and absolute pasting for what they're worth and what they're getting paid and their input. And the Titans have got a one point one million dollar forward who's sitting on the bench right at the Gold Coast Titans in that in their first clash against the Bulldogs. And I'm sitting there going, what's happening here? The entire preseason to get ready? When you are investing that much in a forward and for him to be sitting on the pine for that long.
Speaker 3: I think they're getting flogged as well.
Speaker 2: Getting flogged getting flogged?
Speaker 1: Why did we not see David Fafeta for fifty odd minutes in that game?
Speaker 2: It's DESI will have his reasons. He'll have his GPS numbers on it and all the data on it, and he'll have his and he's the coach. That's that's as he's prerogative. But how is that smart management of your roster and your cap management when you got a highly paid, influential forward sitting on the bench for that long. I want to see a response this weekend from Day for Feeder and what they played.
Speaker 3: They play the Knights right, it's hard to respond the.
Speaker 2: Hopefully well, hopefully hope the response is more minutes right and the Titans can respond because I sat in this chair last week speaking about why I feel that the Titans are a spoon team, and they didn't do much to change my mind last weekend.
Speaker 1: They're in a hot field, but definitely yeah concerns. What do you think the Roosters are thinking having missed out on Davidfeeda last season?
Speaker 2: Well, you wonder, surely you know Dave's part of it, but I would just wonder how much this is a coaching decision. You know, would he be used differently at the rooster So I hear what you're saying. On the surface, that looks like they does the bullet, but you know, there's just always so much uncertainty around how to use Dapa Furder at the Gold Coast Titans. It's been going on for two to three years now. I really want to see him be that machine wrecking ball that we all know he can be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, agreed about you read let's get your hot under the court.
Speaker 5: Well, I was watching the footy on the weekend and I like seeing Plass celebrate tries. We all like seeing Plass celibate great moments in the game. We going to score a try, gets up, does a bit of a dance. I saw Christian tipplelo doing these ones doing this. I didn't have a problem with it. What's what's the big deal? The Blake wants to get paid, he's scoring tries.
Speaker 3: Just leave him alone.
Speaker 5: Then I see Flannels told him no more, no more celebrations.
Speaker 3: So I'm disappointed. I'm disappointed.
Speaker 2: As a monarch a little bit.
Speaker 3: Blake enjoys footing a catch here.
Speaker 2: Ready we went down on the school board at the time. We explained weeks before against the Dogs. Yes, sorry, mob, do you go?
Speaker 1: So I just explained, So christ off contract end of this season, no deal for twenty twenty six.
Speaker 5: Yeah, show me the money, the money I score. He wants he needs them bachlor of Qualm to help you.
Speaker 3: Show me the money.
Speaker 2: Well, that's all right, the bloke squad didn't he So let's all let's this is a team sport, and if if the Dragons that get out of this R and two position, they need all hands on deck, focused on the team. Bloke's focused on himself, trying to get a contract, trying to get the love and the and the and the support of the fans.
Speaker 5: Mate, he's scoring try for fun. He looks like a team player to me right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, of which aren't resulting in victories.
Speaker 3: We should be doing this on this show. Heys, what's doing.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'll join We're all doing it.
Speaker 1: Listen if there's two vacancies on these seats next week.
Speaker 4: I had nothing to do with this. Look.
Speaker 2: I love a try celebration. Absolutely, don't think I'm yeah, I'm doing Santa Claus. He was a time and a place though, and they're not going that well at.
Speaker 3: The time of the places. After you put the.
Speaker 4: Ball down.
Speaker 2: After the game.
Speaker 4: I liked it after the victory.
Speaker 3: I like a bit of character, a bit of fun.
Speaker 4: I like sticking it to a bit of character.
Speaker 1: Got bigger issues than the triscoring winger there, But my gripe is critics Round one critics. Everyone was so quick to hop on everybody and say.
Speaker 4: How bad Oh no, no, I'm ready to.
Speaker 1: After round one, everyone's saying Luke Metcals not a seven, he's a six. We told you that everybody is an expert. Comes out in week two, the Warriors sharpen up their attack.
Speaker 4: They target daily.
Speaker 1: Chair evens on one side, Luke books on the other side. I saw Luke Metcalf running riot but directing play. And for all the criticisms he and Andrew Webster copped, I think they've really shopped it in faces.
Speaker 4: After round two, I.
Speaker 5: Was gonna say, I'm not I'm not willing to declare it outright success just yet.
Speaker 3: It's round two. You've got the other day, You've got completely.
Speaker 2: Have you tipped the Warriors to beat the Roosters?
Speaker 4: Yes, wow, I tipped the Warriors last week too.
Speaker 3: Did you chip the Roosters?
Speaker 2: Yeah no, I went to Warriors. Yeah yeah, yeah, I'm with you. No, no, And that's a good matchup.
Speaker 4: Sand and Smith first met another kid who's been going.
Speaker 3: Very well well for one week.
Speaker 1: It's only two weeks into the NRL season and already your coaches under the blow torch. And I'm talking of course Cowboys coach Todd Payton. Uh, there's been some disappointing results in the first couple of weeks. The Cowboys not immune to that, and they come up against it against the Broncos, where there's already speculation about whether Todd Payton's going to be their.
Speaker 4: Long term days. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, there's plenty of layers to this one, I reckon, and it probably speaks to maybe where the inconsistency of the Cowboys have been probably for the last two years. You know, their Finals bound one year and then they miss it the following Jason Talmalalo and Jeremiah now straight out of the blocks left out of the team. My understanding is they're hugely influential on the playing group. They are leaders within the in the group, and they have allies and when they do when players do have as much influence as those two boys do in the group, it's very much, very easy for the rest of the playing group to side with those leaders. And that's where Todd needed to open up the lines of communication with his playing group about why this was happening. I understand that has needed to happen, that Todd needed to speak to the players about some reasoning behind those two players missing out. Now I don't see any coincidence whatsoever, they're back in the team. They are back in the team against the Broncos because everything I just said how influential they are. Second later this, I don't know if they're going to move on Todd Payton so soon as what you might expect if the results keep going this way. They are a conservative board up there. They don't make rash decisions, and I just don't feel as though they are at the level of frustration that maybe fans are and experts in the media are compared to what he's going on in house. So I still think Toddy Payton's got a bit of time.
Speaker 4: Left read men.
Speaker 1: Should they even be considering moving on Todd Payton, because I mean, we saw what he did as an interim at the Warriors, and.
Speaker 3: Honestly, they made the finals last year, second week of the finals.
Speaker 5: We're two games end of the year, and I don't think there's any pressure on Todd at board level. Like Dave said, he'll get the year at least at a minimum, I think to turn around. I think the pressure on Todd is, like Dave said, the internal rumblings and the whispers that are coming out of that dressing room that maybe play are unsettled and not happy with the way things are going. And Dave summed it up perfectly. I mean, Jason is the most influential player probably at that club, and has been for a long time.
Speaker 3: He's been a really low servant.
Speaker 5: He's got immense respect in the playing group and within the club. And we've heard the rumors about Jason now for how long that the club was trying to medically retire him last year because he's obviously got that long term deal. Then he comes out this year he does Liz Frank while playing with tong Or. I think it was that the Ladies preseason, and the club will tell you that it wasn't Todd's decision to play him in the Queens Cup last week. The club will tea was Jason who went to Todd and said, I'm not ready. Now that's what the club's telling us. I don't know that's necessarily true. We haven't heard it from Jason tom Lo, but we haven't heard anything to suggest that's not true. So that's the case, and he's straight back in this week. He paid fifty He paid fifty odd minutes and Queens and Cup it went really well, you know, I think that that will help a peace. He's some of the he's some of the unsettled. Unsettlement is a word. That's not a word, is it? The unsettled unsettled nature and nature and the footy club. So you know, I think, look, he's going to get time, Todd, and he deserves time. He's got a good record. As I said, second week the finals last year, that's pretty good effort. But there are, as Dave said, some rumblings of discontent up there that somehow he needs to calm down.
Speaker 3: And look, I know it's crazy. We're two weeks into the day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, they'll probably lose right in the Broncos, so they'll probably be going three. But even then, we're three weeks into the season. Let's you know, let's let's calm down. Everyone on the first black the cour for a coach's head, but let's calm down.
Speaker 4: Well, we don't have to go too far back.
Speaker 1: But obviously the decision a couple of years ago to call out Jason Tamalala on his minutes and Jason's a proud guy and he did not like that, and that that sowed some seeds at the time, and you saw how well, Jason played for Tom and when he.
Speaker 4: Did that injury, as to what he's still capable of.
Speaker 1: Doing, I mean he was compared to the guy that was batting out twenty thirty minutes for the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Just chalk and cheese. Right.
Speaker 1: So, but Mannie John's has written a really good column it's going to appear on Code Sports website around how the players are actually letting Todd Payton down because the message isn't getting through, you know, when when they made that twenty twenty two prelim final, they fell just short of that Grand Final thanks to the Mighty Eels.
Speaker 4: But sorry, I digress. Yes, there was some razzle dazzle in that attack, but.
Speaker 1: It was built off hard nosed defense where they are compacting really well.
Speaker 4: Up and in they were, you know, and the message isn't getting through the players that they're and they're not.
Speaker 3: But it's not the coach's job to get blame the players.
Speaker 5: But I always say it's so much easier to get rid of a coach and is to clean out addressing them, right, So ultimately it falls on the coach. And you know, there's been from the outside looking there's been this power struggle between Todd and Jason, for you said it when he called him out a couple of years ago. Then all that talk about potential medical retirements last year, it just seems as though they've again I don't know this for a fact, but it's outside looking in. It just seems as though they haven't always been on the same page. And if you're going to pick Jason up against Todd, Jason's going to win that nine times out of ten because he's such a loved and revered figure in North Queens. And as Dave said in that plane group, so you know, while ever that friction's there and I've got stress, I don't know that there is still friction there. As I said, it's just an outsider looking in. Well, ever, if there is friction there, that's the issue that needs to be resigned.
Speaker 2: I don't forget this as a byproduct of a ten year deal. To Rudy's point, it's hard to move Jason towmlalo on. To your point, maybe medically retire him because of the length of this deal. There was a million dollar investment every single year.
Speaker 1: Which almost has the almost three years still to run.
Speaker 5: That's right, But if you'll get a good fifty minutes Jason tomal Allow every week, mate, You've got a good football on your hair, exactly like a really good footballer. And you know he was putting in punching out fifty minute spells last year that were really effective, and they've quality minutes. So I'm not sure given what they've got up there, do you really want to know if this is the case that there was a push to medical retirement at some point in hindsight, did you really want to do that?
Speaker 1: What does Todd Payton do now in the short term to try and turn this team around.
Speaker 2: Well, he has to galvan I as the group, and it has to start with the defense. Yeah, Jeremiah and I was dropped for he's meek defense in round one, and the only way back is a response from Nati and I reckon, that'll be the greatest indicator we've got that this is a group that's on board.
Speaker 5: Really, don't you think he's been like he hasn't been a great defender ever since he's come in the first grade, Jeremi Now and I he's always been a bit vulnerable defensively, but they put up with it because well, I probably tried to fix it.
Speaker 3: Right, it hasn't really haven't really fixed it.
Speaker 2: I might be taking a broad brush to this, but this is one little concern I have, and correct me if I'm wrong. I just feel as though those there, there's elite players in that group and they've stagnated. Ribon Cotter Nanai I did and telled his own no doubt about it getting the Queensland Origin team, and I just feel like tell Malala is another example whether they're getting the maximum output and performance in some elite players. That's my concern.
Speaker 1: Canterbury PARAMOUNTA games are always massive occasions, but I'll tell you what this year takes on probably greater meeting tale of two coaches who in very different situations at the moment, have some real similarities day with having a look at what Jason Roles is going through at the moment and comparing that to I mean, things look great at Canterbury at the at present, but that wasn't always the case for Camp Serreldo.
Speaker 2: There's been an immense pain and turmoil as far as getting rid of players and cleaning up that roster, paying out players. At one point the Bulldogs were paying up paying out almost four and five players that were at different clubs, or let go to the English Super League and this is two years ago, and remembering too, Gus advised serraalto not to come in that first year, stay at Penrith for another year. There's just going to be too much blood in the water for you to handle as a rookie coach in that first season, and Serraaldo banging. Serrato said, now, I want to get into it now. And they were hard days and if you're a Paramatta fan you should maybe take some solace in that that, Yeah, it's it's hard going at the moment. And I'm not saying that it's all going to pan out exactly the same, but certainly clearly Jason Ryles has a vision of which he's ripping and tearing into in the hope that it can end up what the dogs are in now.
Speaker 1: Really, the thing that worries me is that I don't think Paramattera have hit the bottom yet. I know there's been two really bad losses to start the year. I think things can potentially get worse.
Speaker 5: Well, it's going to be difficult until Mitch Moses gets back, right. I mean, we know how much this team's built around Mitch and Dylan Brown, so it sort of hasn't really taken the reins while Mitch's been out. They get Dean Hawkins back this week. I mean Dean Hawkins was bought to be Mitch's understudy, and when Mitch wasn't available, Dean Hawkins was supposed to be the guy who stepped in because he's got more of a kicking game, he's more of a number seven general.
Speaker 3: But obviously he was injured as well.
Speaker 5: I had to play Ronald Wolkman Ean played in a year, So everything that could go wrong for Jason Rowholves in the first two rounds has gone wrong. But you know there's going to be better days ahead and days right. It's been such a huge cultural shift at that football coman Brad Arthur was there ten years well, we all knew Brad. It was a completely different operator to Jason role.
Speaker 2: It was his club.
Speaker 3: It was his club, and Rosey's put a brooin through the joint.
Speaker 5: You know, it's got a different feel about it the football club and that's going to just take some time to settle in, to bed in and for everyone to get on the same page. But it will change and it will head in the right direction. Because he's a smart guy and a smart coach. But it's really difficult when you know, you make all these changes, then you get to round one. You haven't got your captain in half back, your talisman, you haven't got his deputy, your fire that goes out and signs a mega deal with another club, right, a guy who you're relying on to both basically stepping and help.
Speaker 3: Where Mitch is out. You know, he's got this other distraction going on, like it's just it's just been disaster.
Speaker 1: Really, you have to go to Melbourne, which you know, who don't lose round one. Round two was especially disappointing. But you look at that and you know that first half Mitch Moses is their paramat. Scored a couple of tries that they looked rudderless in attack, didn't they They just for all the ground they made. They dropped a lot of ball, but you know the positions and they should have scored. What disappoints me and probably disappoints Roles the most, is their defensive efforts.
Speaker 4: Right, he has spent the off season. They've done more defense in.
Speaker 1: The last six months at training apparently than they have done the last ten years.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Line speed, transition defense in the middle and all that is a work in progress, but it should be an easier fix to say, guys, line speed, you need to get your back sides up quicker. You're letting them get far too quickly down the field.
Speaker 2: That's a byproduct of the errors they're coming up with.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: If you're defending all the time, your line speed's going to be pretty slow. We're doing it all the time.
Speaker 1: So if you're scoring points, you're getting the ball back, you've got your possession. But still the Yeah, that's a concern.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, yeah, we know Josh Hadoka. We'll come back into this side this weekend. We saw him listed in the reserves. But the winger is going to change everything. But what I'm what I'm saying is you do need that experience out there in those tough times. And we know Fox is an energy player. It brings a bit of intensity and excite to the group. For me, I'm still looking for more out of Zac Climax and I still can't get around the center. Id I we're talking about last year being the I would call him almost the world's best winger.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 5: I think he's been pretty good Zach what so you know, I was going to go on the bat he's been one of them.
Speaker 2: I think he's been decent players. But yeah, I think he's been decent. But he is an out and out gun winger. And when you are searching for points and yardage carries and a little bit of.
Speaker 3: Extract dropped back from last tackle.
Speaker 4: He did, he was dropping back there and.
Speaker 3: I have a hybrid role, right, Yeah, I don't mind. I don't mind that.
Speaker 1: I wonder if that was a bit more out of necessity because they didn't really have the guy to do that, because when.
Speaker 2: Was the last time the Melbourne Storm and the Penouth Panthers come up with a hybrid role to win them.
Speaker 1: The miniature wingers now they've been exposed after five years.
Speaker 2: But this is the thing, like, stick to what the guy is absolutely outstanding at and he's the world's best winger. So bang, you've got Fox, You've got Limacs. Okay, you're starting to look you know, you look like some points of attack Aeriel.
Speaker 4: Targets.
Speaker 2: There are there's green shoots, no doubt in the world. It's just a matter of that we haven't spoken about.
Speaker 1: The dogs before we get there at okat ready you've got a piece come up in Sunday papers and sports website. But behind the scenes into his signing with the Eels and what he brings.
Speaker 5: Basically how just about how it came about, you know, the meetings that took place, and just obviously at the time there was a bit of a smell around Joshua left the Bulldogs, just how he won over Paramatta and convinced them that he was the right guy to sign. So it's a bit of a look at that, and we'll look at what he brings to a footy team, obviously because Dave mentioned it before him. And he's a bit of an energizer bunny. He's a good guy to have around the dressing room. He's happy guy, very up. So let's look at all that's mainly, it's look at how this unfolded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I reckon the Dogs will go after him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they probably will do he hasn't played, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I reckon. Well what do you make of the eels attempts to smother him on the extended reserves list?
Speaker 4: Honestly, anyone think he wasn't going to play this week?
Speaker 1: But I know I joke before about you know, saying the winger all change anything. But what josh Ada Carr does bring in defense is a lot of talk. Because you're on the wing, you're not playing a lot of defense, but a lot of talk, a lot of enthusiasm, and when those guys backsides are hanging out a bit further in, when he's giving him those those rev ups and encouraging them and going on, that can make it.
Speaker 2: One of the most disappointing parts of the Eels game was their left edge defense, and I reckon Fox will line up on the left wing and to your point, Mob, he will. He'll be able to set the tone for the rest of the line defensively. So hopefully I fixed there.
Speaker 5: Let's not underratee what he brings. The tri screwers to him. And even though he's only played I think I looked it up last night. I think he's played twenty nine games the last two years, he'scored twenty two tries. He can still score a try. Josh had that car so ify get down the end of the field. Somehow they've been able to do it much the first two weeks.
Speaker 3: You know, he gives them a guy who.
Speaker 5: Knows his way to the triline can score tries and look, I mean we need to improve the defense, but the need to score points as well.
Speaker 4: No really, Army kickout, No Matt Burton concerns for.
Speaker 2: You, it's gonna be different, certainly going to be different because where's the kicking game come from? So much now on Toby Sexton shoulders. Bailey Hable will start in the six jersey. He's played right, he haste, Yeah, yeah, yeah, And there's a lot of hope and promise within the Dogs about Bailey. But it's a combo. We haven't seen it. The high pressure of NRL. Then you've got kind of Tracy at the back, not a noted kicker. Then you've got Reed Marny. He does kick out a dummy half every now and then, not a specialist. So where's the dogs kicking get to? Stephen Crichton still get involved with his kicking game from center, so that's gonna be The concern for me was the Doggies kicking game?
Speaker 1: Great Paramatta one to twelve, wait thirty plus rumor real time, the public flirtation between Bran and Smith and the South Sydney Rabbit O's finally ended up in a love match.
Speaker 5: Read me, Yeah, beautiful stuff. Wayne finally got his man after a couple of years. He's been great. He's gonna be great signing for Sydney. Great signing and Wayne. I spoke to Wayne on Wednesday and made it pretty clear that he wasn't signing signing necessarily to be a hooker because he's really happy with Peter Membozulas. Brandon's versatile, can play lock and play back row. He's going to be a bit like a forward scrabble blank, as Brian Smith used to call him off the interchange, scrabble blank, mate, you can use multiple spots, bron Smith. So yeah, he'll be a great signing for them. On the issue now is whether he's there pre June thirty, right, that's that's the question.
Speaker 1: That a couple of months. Will he be at South for the back end of the season. Will the Roosters let an asset go to their most hated rivals for the back end of the season. If Souse looking to make a finals push.
Speaker 3: If the money's right, I reckon they let him go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, final couple months of the year, that right.
Speaker 3: That's all right?
Speaker 5: That means what you might be able to get three hundred grand back on your salary cap. You can Paylkes Forward, you can upgrade some of those young forwards at the Roosters. You can use that money. I mean, three hundred grand might sound like a lot, but if you can bring it forward, paid Likekes Forward, or upgrade guys, that's one half decent player that you can add the following year. So you know, Connor Watson's done a good job hooker for them too. They don't necessarily need.
Speaker 3: So I reckon good young forward. Ye, what do you reckon?
Speaker 4: What price is spite? Three hundred grand?
Speaker 2: That's the that's the actual million dollar question. What price is Spite?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think throughout anything less than three hundred I don't think it's worth it. It doesn't alleviate too much on your cap two hundred and fifty k too, Okay, I think it has to be a significant figure, and I think it will determine. It'll be determined on whether the Roosters are at to finals bound or not.
Speaker 3: You know, even in the finals mix, they.
Speaker 2: Won't bother sign Look. I like this signing. I based on what they're paying him, and it's about half of what he was on at the Roosters. And so therefore to get a good you know, and I'm basing this on Brandon coming as as the quality player that he is. It's a goodbye.
Speaker 4: Where does he play if he's not going to be nine.
Speaker 5: He won't play lot because Cam Murray is there, right, So I'd imagine maybe he plays off the bench is.
Speaker 2: A fourteen, but he could give Cam Murray a spell.
Speaker 3: He could plays forward on the bench and.
Speaker 5: Murray and Murray Murray can play on the edge potentially, right, Wayne thinks Brandon could play on the edge as well, So I mean maybe he plays an edge forward.
Speaker 3: Potentially he can fill some plenty of roles for them.
Speaker 2: He he looks Saliva Hevil has been playing that utility role, and you'd think Brandon just maybe replaces Saliva and and Peak made Monzilla's is still applying his trade as an NFL player, good going, good going good, but is a coach hooker. But he's he an eighty minute hooker week in week out for the next three years. That's where Brandon becomes valuable as a backup nine.
Speaker 5: They don't find a role for him. He's just one of those typical Wayne players. He's got a bit of a spring twinkle in his eye. And he's cheeky and Wayne loves that.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: He runs with so much bloody ferocity too, Like he does damage. That's what you want, you know, you want the defensive line thinking God, not this blood. Yeah, And that's what he does.