Speaker 1: Lately, Welcome Late Debate.
Speaker 2: Good evening, thanks for joining us on the Late Debate.
Speaker 3: James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Caleb Bond coming up tonight. A new list of heritage locations includes sites.
Speaker 2: On the Moon. We'll talk about that a little later.
Speaker 3: Plus when we look at the papers, Federal court judges spending tens of thousands of your dollars on lavish lunches, and Victorian police clogging up the courts as part of their pay dispute with the government. We'll get to all of that when we look at tomorrow's newspapers. But first, the hostage release deal between Israel and Hamas looks on the verge of collapse tonight. Israel has accused him Us of trying to change the deal at the last minute.
Speaker 2: Now, the deal was that there.
Speaker 3: Would be three stages of hostage releases. The first stage would be thirty three Jewish hostages in exchange for about one thousand Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails. As part of the deal, Israel had the right to veto which of those Palestinian prisoners was released, to ensure there was not a release of mass murderers or of people who would symbolize terrorism. But according to the Israeli government, at the last moment, Hamas has insisted that they will dictate which Palestinian prisoners are released from Israeli jails. Surely an intolerable situation for Israel if that is true. The Israeli Cabinet was due to meet to approve the deal. They hadn't met before this change of terms by Hamas, and so Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Nettan Yahoo earlier this evening put out this statement. He said, and I quote, Hamas is backing out of the explicit understandings agreed upon with the mediators and Israel in a last minute blackmail attempt. Israel will not set a date for a cabinet and government meeting until the mediators announced that Hamas has approved all the details of the arrangement. So this casts the entire deal now into doubt, which must be incredibly traumatic for Jewish families who were expecting and hoping for the release of family members over the next couple of weeks. Don't forget those hostages include a five year old and a two year old child who have been held in Gaza for the past fifteen months. You can only imagine the turmoil that family members must be going through. The whole deal was strange. It really involved the release of tomorrow's hostage takers in exchange for today's hostages. So there were already questions on the Israeli side about whether or not this was a good deal. And of course Caleb, now the whole thing looks like it may collapse before it even gets underway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, clearly what Hamas is trying to do here is see how far they can push this bag and how desperate Israel is to get these hostages back. The reality is that Israel doesn't need to end this war. It's much more in the interests of Hamas that this war ends than it is in the interests of Israel, because Israel has endless capability to keep on going. Hamas at some point runs out of options and AMMO and potentially people. And it's been far more destructive for the people of Gaza than it has been for the people of Israel. So the need to get out of this war is far more for Hamas, and they know that Israel would continue to fight this forever if they had the option, Except for the fact that those hostages are there, and Israel puts a high price and high value on its people, and so it wants them back. Hence the deal you had on the table, which if you look at it from a Hamas perspective, was pretty good for Hamas in terms of the number of people they would get back from Israeli prisons in exchange for the hostages they were handing over.
Speaker 1: It looked like a pretty good deal.
Speaker 4: To me, I would say to Hamas, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, because if they don't come to the table here, Israel will just keep right on going. And we know what Trump has threatened to do if this continues in the way it does. The problem I suppose for Israel is that if they concede to this and say, okay, well you can now choose the prisoners you get back, they're giving more ground to Hamas. And of course Hamas are going to choose the people that they want to come back and run the organization after they've lost Sinowa, etc.
Speaker 1: Right, So you can hardly well himself correctly, So.
Speaker 4: You can hardly let them do that if this deal is to be taken seriously in any way.
Speaker 5: But we don't know what else is the details of this agreement.
Speaker 6: It's not purely a prisoner swap versus hostage swap.
Speaker 5: We simply don't know.
Speaker 6: And this is why these things do my head in because essentially we end up speculating on speculation endlessly, because there is so much invested, and indeed, the world a way to with baited breath to find out how this negotiation ends up going essentially means whether we may see a war with Iran or not.
Speaker 5: So even people who may on the face of it look.
Speaker 6: Like they don't even have a dog in the fight, everyone actually does. The world is looking on one does wonder what this is going to look like. We've only got five more days of the Biden administration left, so it may be that all of the credit after Biden mopped the idea today, all of the credit will end up going to the Trump administration if we don't see any moves on this in the next five days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I have a problem with Trump claiming credit for a deal that seems so lopsided. I mean, the other part of the deal, aside from thirty three israelis for a thousand Palestinian prisoners. That's civilians, for people who have engaged in terrorism. Is that stage three of the deal means that Gaza began to be reconstructed. And the only reason Garza has been leveled is because Israel went in to get their babies, their wives, their girls, their sons back after being taken hostage. But Hamas have said, you must begin reconstruction of Gaza before we'll release can you believe it the remains of hostages.
Speaker 2: Who have died. So that's how inhumane Hamas is.
Speaker 3: They are holding dead corpses bodies back as part of this exchange, and you don't get your bodies back until you begin reconstruction.
Speaker 4: The problem is, though, that the deal has to be lopsided, basically because both sides essentially have nothing to lose except for those hostages that are sitting there. That's the only reason that this deal is on the table at all. Right, Israel, as I said before, could continue to fight this war. They could go even harder than they have now. If they really wanted to wipe out a mass, they could go really hard and go in there and just blow up the whole of Gars. They could have done that at any time, and they haven't done it. And Hamas has nothing to lose, really, because we know that they're quite happy to put guards and people in harm's way to achieve the ends of their organization. The Enns ultimately are to kill all Jews and take over the land.
Speaker 3: So they've got allies like Australia calling for the arrest of the Israeli Prime Minister for charges of genocide. So some would argue Hamas have already achieved more than they probably imagine.
Speaker 4: The most certainly, but if you want to get those you're not going to get those hostages back without conceding something to Hamas. That is the reality of the situation. It's not in Hamas's interest to go in an equal deal with Israel because Hamas doesn't really get the.
Speaker 6: Only leverage that they are exactly.
Speaker 1: So that's that's all. That's all you're going to get.
Speaker 4: And I understand that that then potentially means the continuation of Hamas for longer. But when it comes to those families in Israel right now who want their family members back, if it means that Hamas exists for teen years longer than an otherwise might have, this is a problem that can be dealt with it another time potentially, But if you're one of those families in Israel, you want your family member back right now. And so you can understand why Israel and those families would be willing to make concessions to Hamas to get those people back.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you one person who's cheering for Hamas, and that's Australian Green's leader Adam Bant. He put out a statement earlier today condemning Israel's invasion of Gaza As. If you know this invasion wasn't prompted by two hundred and fifty one innocent civilians being taken hostage by Hamas, But anyway, that's Adam Bant for you. Speaking of Adam Bant, he was out on the Hustings today promising that if at the next federal election the Australian Greens have the balance of power, Adam Bant is promising a new golden era for all Australians. Can you imagine that Adam Bant and the Greens ushering in a golden era for Hamas. Maybe have listened to some of what Adam Bant said here he is.
Speaker 7: We are within a few months of an election that could result in a minority parliament that could see us getting dental and mental health into medicare, being able to go and see the GP for free building homes that renters and first home buyers can afford, wiping student debt, and fully funding our public schools.
Speaker 1: These are all doable.
Speaker 7: The Greens will be announcing a series of costed policies to make it happen, and will fund it through our robin hood reforms.
Speaker 3: Lizy talked about a golden era of progressive reform. Why are left hees always talk about complete annihilation as progressive reform. If you want to know what Australia would look like under golden era of progressive reform, have a look at Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: I would suggest that's will end up like.
Speaker 6: It's funny how his golden era sounds a lot like a socialist Everything is free, dental health, mental health covered by medicare, free trips to the GP. You get a pony, You get a pony for your pony. This brief wouldn't give ponies an utter nightmare.
Speaker 5: I'm simply making the point.
Speaker 6: Everything, even stuff nobody asks for.
Speaker 5: Or agrees, would be a good thing for the system.
Speaker 6: Can you imagine the hole in the budget That is why dental and mental aren't covered by Medicare because, good grief, the taxpayer would never be able to live it down. Also, why are you calling this the robin Hood scheme? His whole bit was robbing the rich to feed the poor. And without the rich in this country, mate, where the heck are we like.
Speaker 5: Them or hate them?
Speaker 6: And we know that you hate them, we need them desperately. Where would we be without the people who shoulder the risk make big bucks in this country Despite all the policies our government pushes, which means it's far more well, it would be better off if you manufactured elsewhere.
Speaker 5: We've basically got.
Speaker 6: No manufacturing left in Australia, despite exactly how hard we've made it for business here. Those who do prosper here listening to this guy would be like mate, Not that they would ever vote Greens anyway, but I think everybody else. These crack pots do the Libs a favor. When they hear this kind of thing. It makes headline news. The average punter reads it and goes no way.
Speaker 3: Host and my photo didn't get this, Calib'll have another. Listen to Adam Bandt. He's promised that if they have the bounce of power. The Greens will set Australia up for generations to come.
Speaker 2: Have a listen.
Speaker 7: We are on the verge this year of one of the most significant elections in a generation. We have the chance at this election by putting more Green into Parliament, of keeping Peter Dunton out, but then also getting Labor to act, we could make significant reforms that will set this country up for generations.
Speaker 2: Sorry, did he say set this country up or stuff this country?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, he did say set this but he's quite ready.
Speaker 4: We'll set this country up for generations of damage and disaster. I was seriously and I find this argument so lazy that you know that the Robin Hood iarday, we're going to rob Peter to pay Paul will take money from the rich to give it to the poor. I know he's been talking about corporate tax and that's a slightly different argument. But when it comes to income tax in this country, the top ten percent of earners pay roughly ninety percent of the total income tax in this country.
Speaker 5: I don't believe we don't have any of them left here.
Speaker 4: You can't argue that rich people aren't pulling their weight pay ninety percent of the tax because you know, if you're on fifty grand a year, what's the tax free thresholds? Forty two grand or something, isn't it right? So most of your most of your income is tax free essentially. Now, look, if we'd had the tax reform that we were promised by labor, maybe things would look a little different.
Speaker 1: But we didn't get that. But that is the case. Ten percent pay ninety percent of the tax.
Speaker 4: So how could he possibly say, oh, the rich need to pay more tax because they're not putting in their fair share. They absolutely put in their fair share in this country.
Speaker 6: Where they think he's going to get the mental and dental into medicare without the rich picking up the ta.
Speaker 3: The other stuff I love from the Greens is some of their rhetorical flourish. I mean, he warns that Australia risks a US style shift to the right. So Merigi is the doing of conservativesm It's sold there go slightly conservatives a US.
Speaker 2: As if that's bad.
Speaker 3: Somehow has he seen what's just happened in a maritor a trump one in a landslide and he's warning we might see that too in our dreams.
Speaker 1: Seriously, hand give it up, mate, stay in Melbourne.
Speaker 4: Well, you know it's okay. The Greens can exist in Melbourne. I don't mind if they exist in Melbourne, because of course, you know, we can just keep them in Melbourne. The rest of us will be fine.
Speaker 1: Now I'm going to ask you about g strings. I don't know whether you wear one, Liz, you are regular wear a string.
Speaker 3: That was the worst segue in the history of the Sorry.
Speaker 4: I want to ask you how you mean to go from Adam ban to I mean, I don't want to say.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 5: We didn't have to tie it in.
Speaker 1: Well on anyway, I didn't tie I was going to.
Speaker 6: Take the bullet for you, but you just wade in. I was like, I thought this was one you'd want the woman to intro you.
Speaker 5: Go for it ed to you if you want to know you struggling.
Speaker 2: We're all on the edge of our seat. Please carry on.
Speaker 1: We're on the edge of our street seat with a beer above. Because we're all where g strings under. You can't see you. Oh my god, one James's rocking white. Anyway, to get back on track g strings.
Speaker 4: The Blue Mountains Council has decided that you can't wear them at their public pools. They put up these side mountainols saying you know what swim where is and isn't acceptable, And basically they said, we don't want to see your bear bum. You can still wear a bikini, that's fine as long as it's got some coverage over your bum. But if you've got a little bit of string between in the crack there and well you're walking around with your butt cheeks out, thank you very much, that's not acceptable in a public place.
Speaker 1: I can't see what the issue is with this, right.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, sure I might enjoy looking at it, but there's kids around, for heaven's sake, right have some decorum in a public place. It is a family place, and the council owns the pool, so surely they have the right to decide the dress code for the people who go there. Much like you go to a nightclub or a pub or whatever, and there's often a sign on the front door that says no ripped shirt, you know, no uninclosed shoose, etc. That's the prerogative of the owner of the venue. Surely, if the council says you can't wear a g string here, that is fine. But no, the feminists say this is regression. It is the patriarchy at work.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: I don't quite get that argument, because surely the blokes wouldn't mind someone rocking up in a G string to have a perv. How is it the patriarchy at work. But here we are in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: You are pressing.
Speaker 4: Women if you won't let them wear a G string to the council pool. Jess King, she's a model, she says. Such a ban implies that the human body, specifically the bum which we all have, is inherently inappropriate or sexualized, reinforcing shame rather than promoting acceptance.
Speaker 5: Now, acceptance of what public nudities?
Speaker 6: Do?
Speaker 5: Have laws about this?
Speaker 6: And can someone explain to me the difference between public nudity and just wearing absolutely nothing save for a tiny triangle in the front.
Speaker 5: There. That's it.
Speaker 6: That is what we're talking about here. Have some decency, have some self respect. I find it utterly revolting. Just have some class for crying out loud? Why is it we have to be I always laugh at feminists like this because they're all, like, I'm liberated. If the patriarchy love. The patriarchy is laughing their heads off at you.
Speaker 5: And here we are in this culture where they want.
Speaker 6: Young men, especially to respect women, have some respect for women. We know that we're up against the online porn culture, we know that we're up against only fans and entire culture is pushing back on us. And as young boys, they can't even go to their local government pool out these women walking around completely naked, basically everything flapping around in the breeze. How are these young men supposed to respect you? I don't and I'm a fellow woman.
Speaker 3: Well, they try to make this about women's rights, and it's not about women's rights. It's about borderline nudity and whether or not that's acceptable and the bigger issue here.
Speaker 2: But the other by the way, it's also about dress codes.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you go to a pub or a restaurant, they have dress codes. If you go to a council run pool they have a dress code. You don't complain about the pub or the restaurant. Why would you get upset about the council pool. But the bigger issue for our culture is when you talk about public decency. We now live in a situation where nobody agrees anymore on morality, on what is good, what is right, and so everything is up for grabs. So I'm not really surprised we're having these arguments because we've got no shared morality anymore. Yeah, consequently, everything is an absolute war. But you know, the councilor within their rights to make whatever decisions they want.
Speaker 5: That thank god long ones decency.
Speaker 6: And of course the media was getting in touch with the person who'd made this, called the mayor of that council as soon as this was posted online. Apparently the local MP is taking on the mayor over this for crying out loud.
Speaker 5: Mate. I don't know whether the local MP is a male or a.
Speaker 6: Female, but if he's a male, take it from me, buddy, that sounds you see.
Speaker 4: You may take our lives, you will never take our g streams.
Speaker 5: Do me a favor. Well.
Speaker 6: The media is still full of stories regarding the devastating fires in LA. We understand twenty four a dead the latest death toll. Of course, countless thousands of buildings and homes completely destroyed, completely wiped out. Over eighty eight thousand people are under an evacuation order and with the weight the rate winds are going rather eighty eight thousand more stand to be evacuated from their suburbs of La it's absolutely devastating. It's still completely out of control, and now we're being told here in Australia by our insurance council how this could affect our insurance costs going forward.
Speaker 5: The Insurance Council of Australia.
Speaker 6: Has pointed out, hey, we've got similar situation here in Australia.
Speaker 5: It gets dry here, it gets windy here.
Speaker 6: They point out that the affordability of coverage and disaster prone areas is now getting out of control simply because these insurance companies are saying, heck, how on earth are we supposed to cover?
Speaker 5: What they're saying is the.
Speaker 6: Effects of climate change. So there's these growing challenges faced by the insurance market worldwide. Indeed, the US market looks insurance market looks set to lose over twenty billion dollars due to this fire alone. So we're looking at well, obviously not similar, but we're being warned here that our insurance could go up by heaven knows how many percentage points as we look at similar here in during our fire c well, I think.
Speaker 3: They're predicting two percent insurance premium rise in Australia. Qbe have more in disaster phone areas their clients. SUN Corp Is still assessing. But in the cost of living crisis, two percent on your insurance is still the last thing, especially when it relates to fires on the other side of the world. I think it rightly should reflect in insurance premiums. But this isn't an issue of climate change. We know that there were DEI policies which hamstrung the fire Brigade. There were Californian state government issues that meant fire hydrants didn't have water. So I think maybe insurance companies should look at raising premiums in areas where you elect left leaning politicians and your premium should automatically go up because.
Speaker 2: You're asking for a disaster. That would be fair enough, I think.
Speaker 4: I mean, I half get that, but as someone who lives in Albanese's electorate, I don't agree with that because I didn't vote for the bloke.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't have to be the burden.
Speaker 4: Of higher insurance premium the people who live around me as stupid should I?
Speaker 1: But I think again it goes to the.
Speaker 4: Greed of the insurance companies in recent years. Right anyone who's tried to reinsure something, whether it be your house or your car or whatever.
Speaker 1: In the last couple of.
Speaker 4: Years, premiums have gone through the roof, right, And I particularly don't understand that with cars, because with every passing year my car depreciates, it's worth less, and yet I'm now paying more in insurance than I was five.
Speaker 5: Years' gadgets in your car diving on.
Speaker 1: What's that now? I don't actually, thank God? But how do you justify that?
Speaker 4: Surely what I'm paying in insurance should be tethered in some way to the value of the product that I am insuring. Now.
Speaker 1: I get the issue in.
Speaker 4: Places like Lizmar, for instance, in Australia, where you have regular floods and people have their homes insured and they've been rebuilt, and then five years later it gets flooded again, and then it's rebuilt again, and then five years later it gets.
Speaker 1: Flooded again, and on and on.
Speaker 4: I can understand why insurance companies don't want to take that risk for obvious reasons. But insurance, as far as I'm concerned, is a legal form of gambling. It is a gamble on behalf of the insurance company that you won't make a claim and that they will pocket the money you give to them in premiums. But every now and again someone does make a claim and the money they pay out is usually unless it's a car, far more than the money you've ever given to them. That is the risk the insurance company takes. And it sounds increasingly like insurance companies want to provide coverage as long as there is no risk for them. Well, that's not how the insurance business works. If the idea is that you must drive a profit off of every customer, then we've got to pay obscene amounts of money to be ensured. At which point, what's the point of insurance. I'll just put that money in the bank and use it at a later point if I need to. It defeats the.
Speaker 1: Purpose of insurance.
Speaker 4: If every customer must drive a profit, that is not the risk that the insurance company takes.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: So, the other issue that they're dealing with in LA at the moment is whether or not to go ahead with major events they've got schedule in the next couple of years. They've got a World Cup, they've got the Summer Olympics, they've got the Super Bowl that they're due to host, and so Governor Newsome, we showed video footage of him last night, and he's really talking up what the future could look like, even as the smoldering embers of people's homes are on screen behind him. And California is determined to go ahead with these major events, but it's created a lot of debate as to whether that should be the priority of the government. And if the government can't organize water to fire hydrants, do you reckon they could organize a Super Bowl or in Olympic Games or well, he's the morale of people who've had their lives devastated.
Speaker 2: They've got the Olympic Games to look forward to.
Speaker 6: Listen to the governor, this is going to be a piece of cake.
Speaker 5: They're still hosting all of those.
Speaker 6: In fact, he says that just heightens the imperative for us to rebuilds really quickly, bigger and better, and.
Speaker 5: We're looking for toasting all of those.
Speaker 6: He's actually very very chipper as the city is burning around him. He's standing and rubble in these interviews, and he's very very upbeat. I don't know what he's on, but I bet a lot of people in.
Speaker 1: La do you like it?
Speaker 5: I know it's California.
Speaker 6: Everything's legal in California, name the substance, you can take it. So yeah, he's really really upbeat about this. And I think the Dems of leaning very heavily on the fact that, you know, well, climate change. So even though yes, the reservoirs were empty and the fire department is underfunded to the tune of millions of dollars and none of us were remotely prepared for this, well there's climate change on top of that, So what could any of us have done? So very few people in the media are over there, the lefty leaning media are talking about the fact that at least three arsonists have been arrested while in the act of setting their.
Speaker 5: Suburbs on fire.
Speaker 6: Nobody wants to talk about this because it doesn't fit the narrative. But yes, indeed, let nobody lie to you. These guys are being caught in the act, picked up by police.
Speaker 5: People are seeing them do it, calling the.
Speaker 6: Police departments, and the police departments are catching these guys.
Speaker 5: In the act.
Speaker 6: So not very climate changey type narrative happening there. I don't know about you, guys, but get this, the landlords in la are now jacking up rental prices by up to one hundred and twenty four percent. Now, there are laws in California which prohibit landlords doing this state of emergency.
Speaker 5: They're only allowed to.
Speaker 6: Jack prices up by ten percent, but they are absolutely flouting the rules. Check out this tweet from James Woods. He said clients of our friend were trying to lise a house while their home was being renovated. The lease was for eighteen thousand dollars per month. They were to sign the papers the day of the fire. Now the people renting want thirty thousand. The vultures are circling and the flames aren't even out yet. David Wagner says shares another instance. He said, a furnished Belair home went on Zillo today for twenty nine thousand, five hundred a month.
Speaker 5: A few months.
Speaker 6: Ago it was asking for just fifteen thousand, nine hundred. Are called up the agent, she said, she told her client to do this. People are desperate. You can probably get good money. Another La local, Lisa Guerrero, said, according to this property's history, it was listed as twelve thousand last year. Today it's twenty eight thousand. Price gouging. What the heck is going on? So imagine this You've lost absolutely everything. You may not have family and friends to stay with while you sort out what the heck you're going to do. Your house is rubble and everything in it is lost, and these landlords you can't even find a rental that is half afudible.
Speaker 1: I thought you were about to use another word there when you stop outlay through that.
Speaker 2: We all held out for a moment, and I.
Speaker 4: Was going to applaud you for doing so, because I agree with the sentiment. And look, I get that we're talking about expensive homes for rich people here, but.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter how much money you have.
Speaker 4: If your house has just been burnt down, with all of your positions inside of it, your family photo albums, whatever, right, your dog's just been incinerated. You are feeling so low that it's not even funny. No amount of money in the world could ever change that for low life bastards, because that's what they are to now be saying. You are desperate for somewhere to live, So I'm going to charge you double the rent a wole to have charged you a week ago because your house has.
Speaker 1: Just burnt down.
Speaker 4: I find that utterly despicable. I mean, these are the sort of people that give landlords a bad name.
Speaker 1: I'm a landlord and I will.
Speaker 4: Defend landlords as I often do, but seriously, just do not do that kind of thing. Let's have some good news, shall we out of the US though, because the House in the US has decided to ban trans kids from playing sport with girls.
Speaker 1: It is a common sense decision.
Speaker 4: Now, the idea here is that if elementary schools in the US allow transgender children to play with girls, they will have funding taken away by the federal government. And fair enough, because when we talk about trans men or you got to get this right, trans women, which are actually men biological males or boys. In this circumstance, when we're talking about schools, when we talk about the issue of transgender people in sport, we're talking about fairness.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's not saying, oh.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't like the look of you, therefore you shouldn't be able to play sport with me. It's about fairness because of course, we know that when you go through puberty, if you're a boy, if you're a man, if you're a male, you have testosterone and that greatly affects the way your body develops.
Speaker 1: It gives you extra strength.
Speaker 4: It gives you in golf the ability to drive the ball further, the same in cricket. In football, it gives you the ability to tackle someone harder. This is a matter of fairness, and fairness is something that is taught to children through sport. I mean, sport is such an important thing to teach children about sportsmanship, the idea of winning and losing, how to deal with that, how to strive for greatness. And it also teaches children about fairness, which it is why it is so important for transgender children not to participate in sport with girls, because it flies in the face of fairness. This was passed by all the Republicans who were present, and there were only two Democrats that should be noted who voted in favor of this, and given they were the only two Democrats who did, I think they.
Speaker 1: Deserve a yay for the day. They're both from Texas.
Speaker 4: Vingente Gonzales and Henry Cuella were the only Dems who voted in favor of this.
Speaker 1: But Hallelulier a common sense decision.
Speaker 4: And of course we know that the Senate is now being taken by the Republicans, so there's no question about this thing.
Speaker 1: Passing it will now be law in the US. Thank goodness. Let's hope everyone else follows.
Speaker 3: Suit and as well as fairness, the other issue, of course, is safety, because there's been numerous instances of women girls injured playing sport against males identifying as girls who, as you rightly pointed out, have superior strength body mass. The amazing thing to me about this is that four hundred and twenty four politicians voted. It only passed by twelve votes. As you said, all but two of the Democrats voted again the proposition.
Speaker 2: Let me read for you the proposition.
Speaker 3: It says that sex shall be regarded based solely on a person's reproductive biology and genetics at birth. Most normal people would not have a problem with that, and yet all but two Democrats would not accept that definition of sex and gender.
Speaker 2: And you know what the Democrats did.
Speaker 3: They renamed this bill, as lefties always do, they love to manipulate language in order to mess with our brains. This bill designed to stop males competing against girls in sport, they renamed it.
Speaker 2: The Democrats they called it.
Speaker 3: The Child Predator Empowerment Out because they argued that this bill would give permission for adults to inspect the bodies of young people, and so this would empower child predators. They further argued that it would embolden people to question the gender of girls who had, for instance, short hair, who might have looked slightly boyish, and this would embol people to question their gender and then cause harm to these young people. It is absolutely astonishing to me that you could have some policy that is so common sense, and yet how ideological are the left that they would twist this around to make common sense sound evil even as they're trying to perpetrate evil as good, to which.
Speaker 6: The Republicans calmly responded, Or we can just ask to see their birth certificate, so nobody will be checking out anybody's body. We will simply ask to see their birth certificate.
Speaker 5: Another win coming out of the States.
Speaker 6: It seems that the Biden administration, it's only got five days left, right, is literally just taking notes from the upcoming Trump administration and trying to get a few wins in before they have to leave. You will remember that RFK Junior Trump has made pretty much his health czar. He's looking after you've heard of MAGA. He's looking after mah, which is make America healthy again. And one of the things that he's spoken about is red dye three.
Speaker 5: It's found in candy. We call it lollies over here.
Speaker 6: It's found in chips, it's found in soft drink, It's found in a whole heap of stuff. And guess what they've known for over twenty five years that this thing causes cancer.
Speaker 5: Well, the FAI have just come.
Speaker 6: Out and said, hey, so we are canceling red dye number three because oh, you know it causes cancer. I mean, thanks twenty five years on, thanks for nothing, really, but hey, better late than never. I love it when these stories come out because it served to remind people they do allow this crap into your food unbeknownst to you, and all the relevant authorities say, hey, it's absolutely fine, while knowing that it's not. And I'm sure they don't eat it, but they're totally fine with you doing it because well, you're just ignorant. And who knew it's even in cold medicine.
Speaker 4: It's actually thirty five years they've known this, right, because they banned it in cosmetic products in nineteen ninety so because there were studies done and had found that it caused thyroid issues in animals, cancers, tumors, etc. And so though, okay, we shouldn't allow you then to spread it on your skin because that will then absorb into your body and that's bad. Oh, we'll ban it in nineteen ninety, but it's okay as long as you take it orally. I mean, how does it make any sense whatsoever. It's bandy, It's banned in most of the world.
Speaker 5: They do not care.
Speaker 4: Somehow, that'll be fine if as long as it's in your food. These people bonkers. I know, it's America and they it's some weird stuff with it.
Speaker 6: So it's utterly evil that anyone would know that this kind of thing, just like pfast, just like microplastics, they know that this is harming humans. We are not made to have this crap in our systems, and they allow it on mass Ye're in, year out in more and more products. We are ingesting it in every single which way. They don't care about your health, which puts the imperative on every single person to care about it, because these guys certainly don't.
Speaker 3: The other amazing thing about this, of course, is that Trump isn't president yet. There's another example of Donald Trump still the president elect and yet he's setting the agenda reckon the.
Speaker 6: Biden admitted just like, hey, FDA, can you do a few of these things before they get in, just so that we can take credit for a few before they get like literally.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of which, just before we go to a break, you know, Biden promised a smooth transition, and it seems like he's just laying land mines everywhere to try and disrupt the incoming Trump administration. With just a few days to go before Biden leaves office, He's announced to remove the ban on Cuba, or the listing of Cuba as a state sponsor of terrorism. Now, the Trump administration back in twenty twenty one listed Cuba as a terrorist state and therefore restrictions would apply economically. Kibb is one of the most repressive nations on Earth. It supports anti American groups and terrorist groups, and now Joe Biden says, no, no, no, we're not going to list them as a state anymore. It makes you wonder, especially the state that Joe Biden is in mentally, who's really behind all of this and making these decisions. It's almost like a purposeful decision to create wreckage and carnage before Trump comes into office. Now, of course Trump can come into office and immediately relist.
Speaker 2: Them, which he will as a terrorst state, which he will.
Speaker 3: But you've got to wonder what on earth is going on with Joe Biden that just a couple of days before he leaves office he makes a massive decision like this about one of the states closest to the United States, which is openly hostile to the United States.
Speaker 4: Well, it's just a kid throwing the toys out of the cot, isn't it. He's just trying to make a pain in the ass out of himself on the way out to give Trump more things to do. He is upset, Well, he's probably less upset of Trump winning versus Kamala, but.
Speaker 6: He's upset, probably completely unaware that he is, that he didn't.
Speaker 1: Get another shot at being present.
Speaker 4: So he's just making as much trouble as he can on the way out. What does he care he's demeaned anyway, doesn't even know he's doing it.
Speaker 2: That does seem to be the case. We're going to go to a break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we'll look at what's making news tomorrow, including Victorian police deliberately clogging up the courts as part of their pay dispute with the Victorian government.
Speaker 2: All that and more interest amount. Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow. We've got tomorrow's front pages, so you hit them here first. We'll start with Melbourne's Herald Son, which has got an interesting story on the ongoing pay dispute between the government and Victorian police. Driven to Front Court reads the headline, I suppose culor that's a bit of a pun on the fact that tennis is happening in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Right now, also going to court and to do with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm going for the obscure reference rather than the obvious tonight.
Speaker 2: Let me continue.
Speaker 3: The article reads Victorian motorists court speeding just over the limit being hauled before magistrates as part of the long running Victoria police pay dispute. The saga's threatening to clog up courts as police refused to dish out speeding and traffic fines. Instead, they're slapping drivers with summons, compelling them to front a magistrate, which isn't very nice thing to do to motorists. It's not a very nice thing to do to the courts either, because it's going to affect everybody. But this campaign has been quite nasty for a while. Earlier this week, the Victorian Police Minister Ben Carroll was in Werriby making announcement about free books for kids in prep well the police union organized for the police helicopter. It just happened to be flying over Werribee that morning and hovering just above his press conference so that not a word could be heard. He had to move the conference because of the interruption by police. So it's gotten pretty nasty. But I would suggest clogging up the courts with frivolous speeding fines is not a way to endear yourself to the public.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 4: I much like the train drivers in Sydney at the moment, I don't think it will do a great deal to endow yourself to the public.
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 4: I don't know the specific situation in Victoria though, but I do wonder if you have to go off to court, does that mean that you potentially face higher fines? Because I know a made of money to South Australia who ended up in court because of a police bungle when he was picked up for a traffic offense. It should have just been on the spot. Three month loss of license. But because he ended up in court because the copper bugged it up, the lowest penalty the court could give was six month loss of license because that's what.
Speaker 1: The magistrate has in front of him.
Speaker 4: So if that happened, like you know, the court can give a minimum fine of say one thousand dollars for what would have you know would have been a four hundred dollars fine if you just got pulled over by the cop.
Speaker 1: I'd be very angry if that happened to me.
Speaker 4: I reckon, And you'd be particular ularly angry, James, because happens.
Speaker 1: To you all the time.
Speaker 2: I be in courtind live in court.
Speaker 4: I know, I know we can the court reporters, the reporters just just look look for James.
Speaker 1: He'll be down there.
Speaker 4: Let's go to the Canvra times now, speaking of courts, this is how crazy is this one? Lavish functions for judges revealed The Federal Courses reveal that it spends hundreds of thousands of dollars each year on lavish functions for judges after the Attorney General's Department refused to give out any details for two years. Individual functions are costing up to fifty grand with tens of thousands of dollars spent on catering alone. Between twenty twenty one and twenty twenty four, the federal courts med a quarter of a million dollars on events and official receptions, which one senator said amounted to lavishly catered events at taxpayers expense.
Speaker 1: What on earth do they need these? What are these events?
Speaker 3: My favorite part of this story is that they've got spending limits for these judges, right, So what they're doing is they're splitting the bill so that they can avoid the spending limits and get around it, which is exactly what you would expect of a federal court judge. They know the law and all the loopholes.
Speaker 5: I want to know who's going to these things?
Speaker 6: Who does a judge party with and be like ah, cavia and.
Speaker 5: Bubbly, Well, who are those judges? Are shoulders? Wouldn't you have to be careful as a judge?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know, it will depends depends who you entertaining, I suppose, But like, why can't they just go to McDonald's or just spend.
Speaker 6: Okay, I don't know that.
Speaker 4: Or just spend the money that they are paid in their salaries I mean their Federal court judges for him AND's sake, they are well compensated. Why can't they just go to a restaurant and pay for it with their own credit card.
Speaker 6: Because then that would be their money. And why would you spend your own money when you can spend the people to the front page of the Australia Now delay on carbon emission targets to hamstring Labor.
Speaker 5: Oh oh, we hope.
Speaker 6: So the Climate Change Agency tasks with setting Labour's twenty thirty five emission reduction target is yet to a point an expert panel, ensuring the Albanese government will head to the polls without one of the key details of its energy strategy. The article goes on to say Labored promised to deliver its twenty thirty five targets by February, in line with the Paris Agreement. Oh, god forbid, we fall out of line with the Paris Agreement. But it must first receive advice from the Climate Change Authority, chaired by former New South Wales Liberal Treasurer Matt Keane. So it doesn't look like they're ready for anything. Not only are they not delivering on the twenty thirty targets, as anyone with a single firing neuron, including all the relevant experts say. But now they're well, as you can understand, rather reticent to name any twenty thirty five target.
Speaker 3: So there's two interesting points about this story. First, Matt Keane, remember he was Liberal Treasurer. He's now heading the Climate Change Authority and he is delaying implementing the committee to come up with these figures for the government, which is very helpful to the government if they don't have a target prior to the election. So Matt Kean once again helping the Australian Labor Party is interesting. The other part of it is how ironic that the Albanezy government can't even appoint a climate Advisory Authority, let alone set a target until they find out what Donald Trump is doing. Once again, Donald Trump exercising all the power in the world over those who hate him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, they just can't find anyone who's willing to crap on as much as you would need to in a job like that. I mean, seriously, it just makes a mockery of the whole thing. Like you said, is we know that the whole thing is exactly but we can't we can't targets. Just say it ain't going to happen, give up and move on it.
Speaker 1: It'd certainly be better for the country.
Speaker 3: All right, Let's go to the front page of the Adelaide Advertiser. The the premier promised two years ago when he was elected to fix the ambulance ramping crisis, and it's still a problem. But he may have come up with a unique solution, the kind of solution that only politicians can think of. Ramping up the lies, reads the headline. Here's what's happening. Ambulance patients would be moved to hospital corridors to await help, in a move that would cut ramping figures without improving care. The new handover policy state's hospitals would be responsible for patients. So the plan to cut ramping numbers, Liz, is that they will move the patients from the ambulances and stick them in the hospital corridors. That way, there's no patients waiting, totally. Problem is fixed, yeh, Ghenius, well.
Speaker 6: Out of side, out of mind, right, So if they're not ramping on the ramps, they're inside the hospitals. It's going to be much easier to hide, especially from the press. Although hopefully it will still be leaked.
Speaker 5: But that's all we've done.
Speaker 6: We've moved the ramping from the ramps to the corridors.
Speaker 4: Marvelous, but also well, how is it going to be any good for the hospital because the new policy says that the hospital is then responsible for the patient once they moved in the nurses.
Speaker 1: The reason they're in.
Speaker 4: The corridor is because all of the beds are full, So the nurses that are tending to all of the full beds now have to tend to these extra people sitting in the corridors, which otherwise would have been with the paramedics.
Speaker 1: And I am absolutely sure.
Speaker 4: I watched this episode of Yes Minister the other day, like this reads exactly like something Sir Humphrey Appleby would have suggest to be done.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 3: We're going to go to a break before we do. Just for Sydney's siders. There will be no train strike in Sydney tomorrow, so that's good news for those wanting to get to work. If you're having a day off, I guess it's bad news, but no train strike.
Speaker 2: In Sydney tomorrow. We're going to go to a break when we come back.
Speaker 3: Heritage listings released today include sites.
Speaker 2: On the Moon. Can you believe it? All of that in just a moment?
Speaker 3: Okay, So normally when you think of endangered heritage sites, you think of the center of Vienna, or maybe the old city walls in Jerusalem, or rainforests in Sumatra.
Speaker 2: You don't typically think.
Speaker 3: About the Moon, let alone the site of the first moon landing. But the World Monument's Fund, based out of New York, have released their latest list of endangered sites, and several key sites on the Moon have been listed as under threat from space exploration.
Speaker 2: Once again. Elon Musk is to blame.
Speaker 3: The Moon is one of twenty five at risk places they have listed. The problem here, I see, Cadabin, Liz, is this is the World Monuments Fund. They're gonna have to change their name because clearly they are going well beyond their jurisdiction now listing sites on the Moon.
Speaker 6: The problem I see, James, is that we're still pretending we actually landed on kidding.
Speaker 1: There so hellogious.
Speaker 6: Anyway, ely looked into these nos. We didn't make it anyway to France. Now we're a French theater. They're known for their radicalness. They're really all in on the refugee status type stuff.
Speaker 5: They decided, we are going to.
Speaker 6: Open our theater, Gaiet the Gaiety Lyric Theater in Paris, to a conference. We are inviting refugees. We want everyone to come. This is free of charge. Well guess what. Five weeks later, two hundred and fifty refugees haven't left. Reports are that, especially in terms of the lavatory, things are getting very unsanitary at this otherwise gorgeous theater.
Speaker 5: The refugees are simply refusing to leave. I'd say this theater is probably reconsidering.
Speaker 3: This is what This is what happens when you have an encore performance, just keeps going and going and going.
Speaker 4: Life comes at you fast. Hey, but I love this sort of stuff. It's like instant justice. You know, all this time they've been running around saying, oh good, we'll be fine, we'll support the.
Speaker 1: Refugees, et cetera. Well, now you've seen what it got to.
Speaker 5: Taste of it.
Speaker 3: That's it from us. Good night, but stick around. Coming up is the readA petty show.
Speaker 5: In just a month