Speaker 1: I'd like to begin by acknowledging the traditional custodians of country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to their elders, past, present and emerging, and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples today. Welcome to Stepping Up the podcast where we explore all things organization, mental health, routines, personal development, motherhood and health. I'm your host, Steph Pace, and I'm the woman behind Just Another Mummy blog and also the founder of Steph Pace Planners. But I can assure you this is not just another podcast online. I'm known for my organization tips and tricks and the occasional banter, but it definitely wasn't always this way. I used to be a hot mess and occasionally still am. And I'm here as your honest and real friend each week to show you how I turn my life of chaos into clarity. Between the house, health, kids, work, and wanting to be the best version of yourself, it can be overwhelming, and I'm here to give you the tools and tips to stop you feeling like a slave to your daily tasks, home life, and especially the expectations you have on yourself. Join me as I share my journey and insights into the art of balancing it all and speak to guests who can help us all live a better life. Whether you're looking to streamline your daily routines, boosh your wellbeing, achieve your fitness goals, dive into personal development, or find inspiration to step up into the best version of yourself, We've got you.
Speaker 2: So are you ready to step up your game? Let's go. Hello guys, and welcome back to stepping up.
Speaker 1: I hope you're having an amazing day wherever you're listening from. I just love seeing the beautiful comments you guys leave me on you know, like what is it? Apple podcast and Spotify and everything like that. So I do really really appreciate it. And if you do love my show and love the episodes and everything like that, I would love for you to leave a beautiful review or comment because I will pro start reading them.
Speaker 2: Actually, let's start reading them out loud. I want to read one. Let's do it.
Speaker 1: So here's a beautiful one from m one three one one is her user name, Thank you em. Her review says easy to to, unaltered, honest, refreshing, full of realistic tips I can easily incorporate into my life. Love listening and re listening when needed. Thank you, m you are a legend. So yes, please do leave a review and I will start reading them out. That's one thing I have noticed a lot of you guys saying is that you do tend to re listen to episodes, and that makes me really happy because it just goes to show that you know the tips and tricks I'm giving you in these episodes is stuff that you want to come back and visit again.
Speaker 2: So you just make my bloody day.
Speaker 1: Anyways, in today's episode, I'm going to be talking about probably one of the most requested episodes, and that is my business story how I started steff Pace Planners. And even if you're someone who's not a business owner, like I feel like myself, I love listening to how brands started, Like I love to know the ins and out, where the ideas came from, what it was like in the beginning, any of the stuff ups along the way, Like I love.
Speaker 2: Listening to it. I think it's really inspirational.
Speaker 1: And this is something that I want you to listen to because when I dive to it, you will learn a lot about me and my past and things like that, which I have covered in previous episodes, but this is going to be more talking about the business side and how that if you truly believe in yourself and go for what you want, you will succeed. And I think one of the biggest things that holds people back, whether that is starting a new business or a hobby or meeting new friends, is we wait until we think it's time. We wait for everything to be perfect before we begin. And let me tell you, no matter what you do, whether that's a hobby, if you start painting, if you start a business, the start's always going to be a learning process. Like the best way for you to learn is to start and you learn as you go, Like I have no idea what I'm doing, Ghosts, I have no bloody idea what I'm doing. And if you're new here, I have my own brand staff Face Planners, So it's lifestyle and stationary brand because I just love to help other people out there who just feel overwhelmed and out of control of their life to gain back that control and start living more intentionally, breaking things down to really easy steps to help you, whether that's organization, motherhood, health and of course productivity and things like that. As someone with ADHG like myself, this has always been a huge pain point for me. And I've always been the biggest mess on the planet, literally, like the biggest mess. I used to have to put a swer curtain on my toy cabinet when I was a kid. All my cars growing up were like when I was a teenager, were just horrific. You don't want to know, like you just don't want to know. And Ryan can vouch for this because he's been with me since I was seventeen. But if I can do it, anyone can do it. And I'm not just saying that. I'm someone who I couldn't even speak in public, speaking at school before class and at union, I had to skull be to even do it, like to even speak in front of people. And now I go on live TV, I do all the things. So if I can do it, you can do it. And this is why you need to listen to this episode because there is so many takeaways from this, and you also get to learn about exactly what I did when I started my first product business, how I did it, stuff ups along the way and everything else, and of course, I'm really really excited because I've just launched my twenty twenty four twenty twenty five Financial Year Planner. I do this every single year, and this is a business planner, So I actually made a business planner and it comes with a business bible, and in this bible has everything that I wish I bloody knew when I started. So I thought I would record this episode today in celebration of the staff Pace Planner's Financial Year Planner being released.
Speaker 2: I think it's.
Speaker 1: Today, So make sure that if you're someone that you're wanted to start a business, or you do even just work in corporate or if you are wanting to start a business, you grab this planner.
Speaker 2: Our yearly plan is sold out before.
Speaker 1: It was like early January I think, actually no, it was in December. They sold out, so a lot of people are devastated because you guys didn't get it. But even if you're not starting a business, this plan is still going to be perfect for you.
Speaker 2: So that is coming out now.
Speaker 1: You won't want to miss the end or any of this episode because I'm openly going to be telling you how I did it all, how I figured out what I was doing and started this business and where it is today, where we're now in our third warehouse. I can't even remember how many team members I have now, like how many staff I have at SPP. I think last time I checked it was fifteen, but now there's probably like eighteen or twenty. So we have a lot of amazing, beautiful.
Speaker 2: Women and men. And Ryan's in there now at.
Speaker 1: The warehouse packing away your orders, and I'm just so bloody grateful.
Speaker 2: So let's get into it now.
Speaker 1: Growing up, I'm your typical nineties kid, you know, Harry Potter fiend, loved bloody MSN and all those things, playing with rocks out on the street before phones came out. But I've always been a multi passionate mess And what I mean by that is I've always had many passions.
Speaker 2: And when I was.
Speaker 1: Little, I thought this was a positive thing. I loved writing, I loved reading, but I also loved doing arts. I loved craft all I also wanted to do. I think I wanted to be a vet like I just wanted to do everything. And I thought that was a good thing until you get older and you go to high school and you realize I need to.
Speaker 2: Fit into a box.
Speaker 1: I need to choose one thing and stick with it and be really bloody good at it. And I think it's obviously very different now with you know, there's a lot more income streams available. Not everyone's like they're not pushing UNI on you anymore, because there's just so many ways to create a brand, build a business, make money online, all these amazing opportunities, Whereas when I was growing up, it was very much forced into our brains that you went to school, you went to UNI, you had a job, you worked really hard, and then you retired when you were bloody a.
Speaker 2: Hundred and that was the way it went.
Speaker 1: And I really struggled in high school with this because again I had a lot of passions.
Speaker 2: I didn't really know what I wanted to do.
Speaker 1: I always knew I was going to help people, and I had this other thing which I can't talk about because you'll find out in a few months what's going on. But anyway, sorry, I hate being that person ambiguous and I can't tell you what it is. But there's this other thing, which I will talk about in a few months, and I'm bloody so excited. Anyways, and there's this other I think I knew I was wanted to do. But I just knew I wanted to help people, and I didn't know how that was going to happen. So high school finished, I went to university and I did journalism and did a bit of marketing and things like that because I loved writing, and my dad was like, well, why don't you do journalism? And I also loved because my mother also worked with the newspaper, and I loved going, you know, when I was sometimes sick and I wasn't with Nan at home, I'd go to work with her sometimes and I loved seeing all the journalists and things like I just loved it. Unfortunately, when I went into UNI under journalism, I started learning that anyone, unfortunately now can kind of be a journalist because of the Internet, which is a good thing but also not great if you're paying for a huge hex steat. And I also want to touch on the fact that my beautiful boyfriend at the time, who's now my husband, Ryan, we were together from seventeen so before I even went to UNI, and ever since I met Ryan. He was in his first year apprenticeship for building, so he always knew what he wanted to do, he knew the trade.
Speaker 2: He's like yeah, this is what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: So he was in the job straight away, killing it at life, and I always because I'm someone again who's very multi passionate.
Speaker 2: You know, I grew to love.
Speaker 1: Makeup, I loved writing, I loved fitness, I loved so many different things. I kind of felt like I was compared to him a lot because he was doing one thing that he was really good at. And I started being called the jack of all trades. And that's because after I finished UNI, which I did finish, but it was really hard because again, guys, remember I have ADHD. I was diagnosed with ady D's actually as a child. So I've always really struggled to pay attention and terrible at maths. I was only good at subjects that I really loved, Like I would excel at things that I loved, bloody flopped at things that I hated. Even if I did try, I still just couldn't do it. Like maths and me, I just you'll talk in numbers to me and were on a different planet. We're just not on the same we're not speaking the same language. So this is something that I've always really struggled with with paying attention memory. So like doing things like UNI and doing my high school certificate. It was like pulling teeth and I did well, Like I'm really out of what I did, but it was fucking hard. It was incredibly hard, leaving things the last minute, late nights. You know, you guys would understand when you were younger. I went to high school and things too.
Speaker 2: It was just hard.
Speaker 1: But when you also can't pay attention and you have bad memory and bad time management skills, that gets harder.
Speaker 2: Now. Halfway through my UNI.
Speaker 1: Degree, as I was saying, is I started really loving makeup, like obsessed again. I have ADHD, I hyper focus on shit, and I was obsessed with makeup. So I started writing articles on makeup and I felt like UNI bloody sucked.
Speaker 2: I wasn't loving it.
Speaker 1: Whilst at makeup school, I worked at mat Cosmetics, and I was just just loved making people feel their best. And it wasn't even always about It's like, it wasn't about the exterior, like obviously I loved doing the makeup on them, but it was how I made them feel and showed them that they were so naturally beautiful as they already are, And that's what really lit me up. I just love making people feel good. I just I love it. Anyway, as I was doing makeup, I went on this big health journey. As you guys know that story, I'll link it in the show notes. I got really into health and fitness, like really into health and fitness.
Speaker 2: So guess what I did. I finished my makeup degree.
Speaker 1: I then started my own makeup business, and I was actually really good at this and I'm really proud of it. This is where I kind of learned how to do, you know, your bookkeeping and things like that, which Ryan had taught me along the way. Because Ryan, by that point he had finished his apprenticeship and he was running his own business, which was incredible, so it was really good to have him to show me as well. And then my own parents were really savvy, Like my dad worked at the tax office, he knew.
Speaker 2: What he was doing.
Speaker 1: Mum was really savvy as well, so they kind of guided me as well, which was amazing, and they also guided Ryan a lot.
Speaker 2: So it all just worked really well.
Speaker 1: So I would be booked out two years in advance to do wedding makeup like that was my thing was wedding makeup. So every weekend, usually getting up at three o'clock in the morning, go out, do makeup, rides, all the things, and that was you know it, and it was fantastic. During the week, I you know, do self promotion. So that's where I kind of got into blogging, did like my makeup my I think it was like Facebook cads back then as well, but it was like really basic. But did all of the marketing, I guess for my business. I did expos and things like that. So I was going really well. And I also loved fitness, so then I also de started to get a job during the.
Speaker 2: Week, working at the gym.
Speaker 1: Now I remember this is the point where I was feeling torn again because I was like, I love this, but I love that I need to choose one because it was a big struggle. You know, I never had days off for years. I didn't even have a day off. That's why again, I'd never been to a festival until like last year.
Speaker 2: Was it last year? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Last year was my first festival. Because I was always working every single day. I never had a day off, and I started feeling really torn. And again there was a voice in the back of my head where I'm like a jack of all trades, master of none.
Speaker 2: You got to choose something.
Speaker 1: And I even remember with the gym because I was doing sales back then while I was then also doing my personal training certificate, which I went on to do again, you know, hyper focusing on shit.
Speaker 2: But I got it done. I got the certificate anyway.
Speaker 1: I remember I was outside of Woolies and I was giving out free passes for the gym to get more people, get more members. And I remember Dad actually just went to Woolies to get food, and then he came up to me and he said, like, what are you doing stuff, like what are you doing with your life? Like this is this is beneath you, you know, and I felt like shit. I felt so shit.
Speaker 2: And I know he didn't mean to make me.
Speaker 1: Feel like shit, because Dad would just say what he thought, which I appreciated, but it hurt, really, really hurt because he said what I knew people were thinking. And then you have Ryan, who's obviously really successful. And yes, I was really successful with my makeup business, but I just was like just wanting to help more and more people, you know, and.
Speaker 2: That's why I struggled.
Speaker 1: But before I move on to the next part of the story, I really want to touch on how every single job I had taught me so much to be where I am today. It took me years and years to figure that everything I'd done had actually added up to help me where I am now now. Firstly, we did my journalism degree, writing, marketing, all those things. Thought that that was a waste of time and money, and to be honest, I actually don't really remember a whole lot. But now in my business with SPP and everything else, like I started my blog, which I'll get into, I need to know marketing for that, like, everything just added up. And then even with the gym, I was doing sales at the front desk. But even then I had to come up with collaborations with other businesses. I had to get really good at cold calling. I had to call random people and ask them to join the gym. And for someone like myself who grew up, I was so shy. I was the quietest kid, and I had no confidence in myself. I was so awkward and scrawny, and I just had absolutely no confidence. I can't even just tell you how quiet and invisible I was. So that was really helpful for me, and just learning about marketing and cross promoting with other businesses even down to subway learning people's skills. Like, there's nothing you will do in your life that doesn't teach you something. So if you're someone right now and you're like kind of pivoting and you're not sure what you want to do, and you're scared of judgment because you're pivoting and you've changed your mind, just know you are allowed to change who you are what you do any moment in your life. You don't know that to anybody. You only get to live once, and it is unfortunately not that long. When you look at the grand scheme of things, there's something you want to do and you've just been sitting on it for so long. You need to stop sitting on it. So I'll give you the pep talk later. But Okay, going back to what I was talking about, I was running my makeup business. Ryan really pushed me to go all in for my business, and that scared the fuck out of me because I'm like, oh my god. You know, Ryan and I were saving for deposit on a house and things like that, so I was just that's why again, I was working two or three jobs at a time, and I was really scared I was gonna let us down because I was like, I've been doing so well with money, you know, getting us to where we need to be, and he's like, trust me, staff, won't you go all in? And he was right, Once you go all in, your business is going to thrive even more. And it did because I had that time to go to the expos I had that time during the week to be focusing on growing the business, which is where I did Facebook ads, which back then you just would press a button and it was done for you. It was not like what it is now. And I did, you know, all these different marketing tactics, which was amazing. So he finally convinced me to go all out on my business, which was terrifying, but it paid off straight away, Like I think I doubled my income straight away because I had the time for it. I was booked out two years in advance for a weddings. It was incredible. So I was doing that for a couple of years. Ryan and I decided we want to have babies and we had our first daughter, Harper, So obviously I was on maternity leave and I after Harper was born, I had really bad personnal depression and I didn't really have any mum friends.
Speaker 2: At that time, I was very, very lonely.
Speaker 1: Always again, I think because I was having that slower pace life, I got back into my writing, which I always did as a child and obviously loved and did it at UNI. And I said to Ryan, wonder if I start a blog or an Instagram page and things and share my life and connect with other moms because I don't have any friends. And he was all for it, and I kept wimping out, kept wimping out, didn't start it, didn't start it, and he finally was like, just go for it, Steph, Like who cares? And I was so scared of what other people thought of me? And could you imagine, guys, if I didn't start back then because I was scared of what other people thought of me, I would not be sitting here right now, and you wouldn't be listening to this conversation, one sided conversation. I wouldn't have SPP, I wouldn't have my brand, I wouldn't have my personal brand. I wouldn't have been able to do TV gigs all these things like literally have created these businesses and this life for myself. And it's all because I was lucky enough to have that person, that support person that said I believe in you, and he believed in me more than I believed in myself.
Speaker 2: And I nearly let my.
Speaker 1: Fear of what other people thought of me stop me from starting. And could you imagine my life would be completely different today if I didn't press live on my first blog and my first Instagram page, and as you guys know, started just another mummy blog and the rest is history. It started growing, everything started booming, and it was just absolutely incredible. And I did it just because I wanted to share my life. And that's the thing. I started these platforms with the sole purpose of sharing my life and connecting with others. And it wasn't to make money. It wasn't to do any of that. Because I can tell you now, if you think you can start a social media page or a business and you know you don't have a bigger purpose, you're not going to get that payoff as quick as you think it is.
Speaker 2: It is hard work.
Speaker 1: Like I'm talking hard work. I've been doing this for eight years, guys. I was posting multiple times a day, like all in and it was because I had so much passion for it. But if I didn't have that deeper why, like my why, and if my why was just to maybe get free shit one day from brands, which back then I didn't even know was even a thing. I just started. I didn't even know it could be a job if I had started for that, or if I started for more superficial reasons, for you know, recognition or money or whatever. Like, I'm sorry, but it does not work that way. You need to have a deeper purpose. Same with SPP now when it comes to organization and planning, this is something I always wanted in my life because I had a very chaotic upbringing, chaotic mind, anxiety, all the things. And when I learned as a young mum how much organization and planning had changed my life, it was something I just wanted to scream off the rooftops because I was like, it can change your life. It will change your life if you let it. I was just so passionate to let other people know that they're not alone, and that's all I cared about. That was the end goal for me, was if I could just help one person feel less alone than I'd won, and that's all I cared about.
Speaker 2: So that's a really big thing that.
Speaker 1: You guys need to remember so as you can obviously realize, after I had Harper and the blog was going, obviously the blog was still growing. It was you know, I can't remember we would have been at like maybe a thousand followers or something, which is fine. I just loved it. I just anyway, I went back to make up my makeup business for a little bit and realized that I just wanted the weekends to be with my family because again, like you're geting up at three o'clock in the morning, by the time you get home, you just exhausted. And I just was so into my blog. And luckily enough, at this time, you know, we had saved a lot. We got ourselves in this situation where I was like, okay, like I'm gonna just keep going with this blog because I started making money here and there, and I was like I didn't even.
Speaker 2: Know you could do that back then.
Speaker 1: Like I literally I remember the first time someone offered to send me something, I was like, why why do you want to send me something? It was actually a dog subscription box, and I nearly was like okay, and Ron's like, You're you're not showing that, like you're not even and I love dogs obviously, but Rhyn's like no stuff anyway.
Speaker 2: It was a whole other world.
Speaker 1: A few years go by, you know, just another mummy blog, my instagram, the blog, everything was just growing and growing at a crazy speed and it was like it was amazing. It was incredible, Like it wasn't like that from day dott and it was obviously slow and steady it wins the race, but it just really got traction. And I remember, like I've always loved planners. I loved planners for ever. I've always done, like ever since I watched New York Minute when I was a teenager, Like I was hooked on planners, and I just loved how when I wrote things down, how much better it made my brain feel, like you feel lighter. And I just wanted to help people. So I remember it was twenty nineteen, so by that point I had been doing the blog for four years, I think four years, and my family was over, my cousins, and we were sitting in the lound room and I said to my cousin next to me, I said, what do you think if I made a planner? Because it was just never a planner that had all that I needed and it wasn't beautiful, and I just was like, what if I made my own. Like by this point, I was doing full time personal brand stuff, so working with brands, and it was great, it was incredible, but I just felt like I wanted to do more. Like I was doing all the free downloads for people on the blog, all this stuff, but I felt like I just wanted to give more and I needed to make that like a product that people could use, that I could use, that I've needed whole life. And my cousin looked at me and she said, that's amazing. That's an incredible idea. And then I literally decided within myself that I was going to do it. And I had no bloody idea where to start. I'd never made a product before, you know, like when I had my makeup business. I remember I had stocked some makeup products, but it was all wholesale, Like I've never had experience with making a product. I had no idea. So what I did is I did some googling. You know, Reddit love Reddit. If you ever have a question that you literally can't find on Google, I will just type in the question into Google and then put Reddit at the end. And if you don't know what redd it is. It's basically like a forum. It's amazing anyway, So I did a bit of googling and I was like, okay, I'm just going to get started anyway. So I had an amazing graphic designer who was doing graphics for my blog at the time.
Speaker 2: Her name was Steph.
Speaker 1: Steph's the Best, and I told her about the product I wanted to do. And she hadn't necessarily made a planner before herself either, but you know, she just went off and figured out, you know, the dimensions for a graphic designer that they need anyway. So literally what I did was I decided on the name, which was Stefe's Planners. I got that registered like I did with just another mi blog, So you need to get make sure everything's registered, got your ABN. And then I literally opened up a word document. I opened up a word document and I brain dumped everything I wanted this planner to have. I wrote down what it looked like, I wrote down why I was making it, who it was for, what problems it was solving. They're the most important things, even when you're making content with it, Like, no matter what you're doing in business and with your brand, and even if you like are starting a blog or whatever, you need to picture the person you have in mind that you're helping. You need to be super specific. You need to think about, like what pain points are you solving for these people? And for mine, it was the overwhelm. It was the overwhelm of everyday life. It was like feeling a slave to your own life and time. So I got really clear on that, and that was I was clear as day because I was the person that needed it. So I just looked in the mirror. Anyway, So what I did on this word document, I started writing out the contents of the book that I wanted it to look like. So i'd have like, actually, like the front cover. I'd write on the front cover like simple minimalist design, just really kind of to help my graphic designer kind of know.
Speaker 2: And I wrote all the contents.
Speaker 1: So I literally wrote like everything in the like it's so hard to explain, but like every thing in that planner I handwrote myself, like everything is just from my brain. And I tell you what, Proofing that thing is a bitch. Oh my god, Proofing planners is not fun because I did all my myself and it was not fun anyway, wrote it all into a word document and there was a lot of drawing involved, so I would do calls with my graphic designer.
Speaker 2: It was a lot of text messages.
Speaker 1: Back and forth and like really bad drawings on my part, and we just sho'd send me the designs back and forth. Anyways, I'd print them out and I'd use them for days and days and days and test them and make sure they worked really well, because when it comes to things like plan is it's so personal, but you need to make sure they work in day to day life. So things like in my planners, I have a to do list each day during the week, I have the meal section at the bottom, like all these things are things that I needed, and I knew that because I was testing it every single time we made a change. Anyway, so this was literally for me to make a plan. It took me a year, so there's a lot of back and forth. Finally got the design done, and during this time I was researching the hell out of manufacturers. Now finding a manufacturer, like you know, people always talk about Allie Barber and stuff, which is, you know, a great place to start, I guess, but you just need to make sure that you do your research because unfortunately my time in business, I've been burnt by some manufacturers before and it's not a fun time. Like I could even do a whole series on business fuck ups because I've lost a lot of money, a lot of money in the past, and you would cry if you knew how much, Like I can't tell you because it's you know, people see the end goal of having a successful brand or business, but they don't see the losses and the huge, huge risks you take, Like.
Speaker 2: I can't tell you.
Speaker 1: After I finally found my manufacturer, and that was through looking at Reddit forums, going through Google, there was ali Barber, which is yeah, sorry, Ali Barber is a website where there's heaps of manufacturers. But yeah, there's just like so much out there. So I did a lot of searching. There's like our source of fire, I think there's a place called so a lot of research and then I found out, you know, basically you need to talk to your manufacturer say like, okay, depending on what your product is, so say, if you're making it could be under a bag, what do you need from me?
Speaker 2: Like is there a template I draw on that type of thing?
Speaker 1: So talking to manufacturers, and then I tested out heaps of manufacturers, so I had to pay two hundred and fifty to three hundred dollars USD for each sample of the planner. I got to find the perfect quality. And that's really scary because it's a lot of money. And I had gotten a fair few seas samples and it's a shit ton of money. So that whole time I was saving up, working with brands and saving up. And you just pray that it comes and it's good, and if you make changes, then you have to pay all over again, you know what I mean. Like any changes you make is another two hundred and fifty USD, which is basically like four five hundred dollars Australian. Also you're paying for your trademark.
Speaker 2: Just making sure.
Speaker 1: Like if you start a business, please do get like a bookkeeper and an accountant because if you mess up with your paying tax and things and you have to pay the taxman a shit ton of money, you're going to cry. So just get everything done properly straight off the bat. They can tell you what to do. You send them everything like and they consolidate all your invoices and all that stuff. And I highly recommend it is it is an expense, but when I think about for me, the anxiety was too great of stuffing things up, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Anyway, finally got a sample I loved who still does makes my planners to this day, and I have a great relationship with him, as in like we send each other photos from holidays. He's such a beautiful person. So found this manufacturer who I adore, which was really nice. But when I had to come and pay the deposit for these planners. So when I first did the planners, I ordered a thousand, and I was so scared because that was a minimum order sorry, minimum order quantity. So when you're working with a manufacturer, they'll have a minimum quantity you can order because obviously otherwise they won't make it for you. So there was a minimum quantity. I think it was a thousand. So I ordered a thousand, and I was shitting myself. I wasn't going to sell them all because I had never sold a product myself. Yes, I had the community, which is fantastic, but I just didn't know, like you just you don't know who's going to buy it. And I was shitting myself that all the money i'd been saving up for was going to be lost, to be completely honest, so I started at Instagram page. I did a big, you know, hype thing on socials because I was so excited, did a big countdown, and then I announced everybody that I was doing planners and I did an event. So with the event, if you guys remember, I did an event in twenty twenty now was it twenty twenty twenty nineteen October, and it sold out in thirty minutes, and I was like absolutely short because I thought I was going to go there and be by myself. And I hired an event planner who actually works to me, works with me to this day. I hired her as a VA. She also does VA. Her name's Petra from club Teams. She's amazing anyway, So she organized the event with me. And with the event, like you obviously have your tickets and stuff, and I made my tickets way too cheap, so I was very much out of pocket for the event, and that's because I didn't think people would come.
Speaker 2: To be completely.
Speaker 1: Honest, back then, I put tickets on sale for eighty dollars and you got a planner for free, like not for free, but in your ticket, which is literally the price of the planner.
Speaker 2: I think it was was eighty dollars or maybe one hundred, I can't remember.
Speaker 1: But you got all the food, You got a huge goodie bag with all this stuff, like you got so much, and it's because I was scared no one was going to come, and I, yeah, it was very much out of pocket, which I don't mind. But I've made a lot of mistakes in the past with my business of really not realizing my worth and the worth of my products as well, because when you think about it, you need to decide on a retail price, and that you need to think about your profit margin. And now your profit margin means like how much you make on top of everything like.
Speaker 2: Your cog so cost of goods sold.
Speaker 1: Which comes down to manufacturing freight shipping with a Australia posts in that which shipping in Australia right now is so expensive, like it kills me anyway, paying you now, paying staff, but even back then, like just paying for everything, taxes, everything, like I can't even tell you. And I had really made my planner prices too low again, but I was so bloody surprised at how fast they sold and one little insider tip I want to give you guys, is because the amount of planners I needed to order was quite a lot, and I still remember sending my manufacturer the deposit. I was so scared that I was never going to see that money again, and I wasn't going to get any product.
Speaker 2: Because it's bloody scary. You just trust people.
Speaker 1: But just make sure you pay things through PayPal, at least get some contracts drawn up.
Speaker 2: But still just.
Speaker 1: Please pay through like PayPal or something that's safe, because you do not want to be ripped off. You do not want to be ripped off. And make sure you look up heaps of reviews. Just look up everything you possibly can. Okay, obviously using a website. So back then I had a different website, but now there's things like Shopify, which is so much easier. I used to have a website that when I put things on the website and everyone would go there, it would just crash. And it's because there's so many people on, but it would just crash and people can buy anything, and it really stuffed me up. So you go on Shopify, that's amazing. But one thing I did to help pay for all the planners was do pre sale.
Speaker 2: And this ended up being something that I didn't.
Speaker 1: Really expect to be a strategy, but it ended up being a great one because I didn't have enough money for everything, so if you put things on pre sale, and that's why a lot of businesses do pre sale, because it helps them pay for their goods. And not all business do it for that reason, but a lot of them do. Because if you do pre sale, the amount you get helps you pay for the product and then it goes out if you're what I mean, so you're not out of pocket, so that's amazing. And then with the planners, my biggest goal was to sell obviously a thousand because you got to remember to with these planners. They're dated, so it's not like I could order heaps and then just sell it over a few years. Like I didn't have much time. It was the first product I ever made, shitting my pants, and then I ended up having to reorder my planners about four times. It was incredible, so just really underestimating myself. Now, what comes with huge success like that is incredible, absolutely incredible. But the thing you guys don't see is me then having to pack thousands and thousands of orders by myself and not knowing what the fuck I'm doing, Like I didn't know how to print off a packing slip. I did not know how to even do customer service, and it was like a one man band, like I got my friends in. I did hire a staff member, my first one, which was terrifying because I'm like, fuck, I'm now responsible for another person's income, which I didn't expect because when I started this, guys, I started SPP as a hobby to pack planners in the garage and that was it because I just wanted to do it in the garage on the weekends. And I'm so bloody grateful, but I did not expect it. And then it came with, you know, now paying a wage and having to work twenty four seven. I'd get up at three o'clock in the morning to start printing off the labels, which I didn't know you could do it in batches because I didn't use redd it enough. That was stupid. And then there was you know, damages in the post. There was a lot of losses throughout that, and I didn't really know how to navigate it. So doing a lot of research and also one thing that I really learned how to do was talk to other business owners. So reaching out to other small businesses that you've supported in the past, which I had and I had worked with heaps of Bread and so started you know, chatting to them, which was amazing because there's just so much to it and even down to you know, when you get things manufactured and they're manufactured overseas, which literally everything is pretty much manufactured overseas. I really wanted to have my planners you know, manufactured in Australia, but it just was so expensive and for me to be able to even survive off that, I would have had to make the planners like two hundred dollars or more like insane, like it just was not possible. So anyways, getting your goods from overseas to get it over here, I was scared.
Speaker 2: I'm like, where's the shipping container? Go?
Speaker 1: Like how do I get it here? Like how do I get it to my house? So I spoke to Nat from Little Label Co because I've worked with her in the past, and she gave me her agent. So you can get like an agent that makes sure like they talk to your manufacturer and make.
Speaker 2: Sure your goods gets over here.
Speaker 1: Like when you need it, and it just makes you feel better because there's like paperwork to it and there's all these laws, and I was like very overwhelmed. So it was really good to be able to talk to them, and I was very transparent, which I feel like is really important to an extent to just be honest with people and be like, can you explain this to me because like this is new to me, and not feel like stupid to ask that, because asking questions is the biggest thing you can do. And I still feel way in over my head guys, especially lately, I'm sewing over my head. But my passion for what I do is just it outweighs everything, truly outweighs everything. And as I said, you need to learn how to be really to be able to pivot and navigate problems that you never think you'd have to encounter, Like, you know, I never even thought about having damaged goods and dealing like having customers that unfortunately haven't got their pastor like and how you need to figure that out. So my biggest thing, if I could start again, we'll be doing more research into like the software. So instead of me getting up at three o'clock and then I'd spend an hour to print.
Speaker 2: Labels one by one off.
Speaker 1: I think I use Sendel to start with, and the custom service there wasn't really any customer service for.
Speaker 2: Me to like call.
Speaker 1: So then I moved on to Australia Post, which was amazing because I could actually call people, but you know, doing more research, you know, asking more questions and not wasting an hour printing off packing slips one by one because that wasted so much time and then I had to go in and actually pack it all myself.
Speaker 2: And there's things that you're going to learn along the way.
Speaker 1: Even recently, like I only just started using a recruiter to find staff because I didn't.
Speaker 2: Even realize that was like I just didn't even think.
Speaker 1: And you do have to pay money to this person to get these people, but it's just worth it when you get the right people. You know, like you just have to think of like the pros and cons and it just develops every step of the way. You're never going to get to a point in business where everything's all good and smooth sailing. Ever, there's always going to be things. There's going to be delays, it's going to be problems with the product, there's going to be risks.
Speaker 2: All the time.
Speaker 1: But all I can say is, you know, having people in your corner is huge, Like if I didn't have Ryan.
Speaker 2: For the start backing me up.
Speaker 1: Even I remember the first time I had to pay the deposit to my manufacturer and I was shaking because I'm like, am I going to lose all this money I've saved?
Speaker 2: Is my family I'm looking after?
Speaker 1: I had like two children by then, but I had him to back me up and say I've got you. You know, having support is such an important part of it, and I wouldn't be where I am now if ye hadn't pushed me to start my blog in the first place. Truly, truly, like it's just so invaluable. So let me know, if you love me to do a bit of like a business series, I can answer your questions. I can talk more about like marketing and social media and just anything that you need to know and my biggest business fuck ups, even just like the biggest mistakes I've ever made and things that I would change when I go back, because as you guys know now, like now, I like you know, I decided to go on and make more than just planners, and that was kind of I guess always in the back of my mind, but I just didn't know how it would go. And then I went on to make you know, my planner magnets and my to do lists, and now I do lifestyle products like my lunch and my drink bottles and everything. And it's just so beautiful when you can make products that are obviously to serve their purpose, but to have a message behind it, which is you don't need to be a slave to your life and your time and you're allowed to be a human being, not a human doing. Like that's the biggest thing I feel like with my brand is as a planner brand, Like I feel like a lot of planner brands are very much about the hustle and you know, being a type A. But when you're not naturally a type A like me, and you're not naturally an organized person, you know, it's hard to find a planner and a brand that's all about just being human and messy and not being perfect all the time. And that's what we're all about. And I'm just so grateful that I've been able to help so many people with these products. Like the other day, I went to the shops and a lady came up to me and she literally had her planner and her box. She kept the box, which so many of you guys do, and she had it at the table at the shops and she's like, I'm just doing a planning session. She's like waiting for a daughter. And I was like, oh my god, and it just like makes me so happy and it makes it all so worth it when you just see that, like changing lives just blows my mind. Anyways, as I said, decided to do this episode and get really deep into my business because of the new financial planner that I've just launched SPP. So this is the financial version of my business planner. As I said, the business bible I made in this has everything I wish I knew when I started.
Speaker 2: It's got like a budget cheat sheet.
Speaker 1: It's got everything you need to know to do with starting a business and branding and social media and marketing, just all of it that I wish I knew. And that's why I decided to make this business planner and bible because it would have been my best friend when I started, and it is available now. And if you're someone who missed out on my planners because they sold out, so quick, like they always sell it so fast, and it just it blows my mind every time.
Speaker 2: Like we had my first limited.
Speaker 1: Edition Planners last year and it sold out in two nights somehow.
Speaker 2: Don't know how that happened, but it did.
Speaker 1: So if you're someone who did miss out on a planner and you don't, you're not starting a business. I still would recommend if you just need a really beautiful planner, go for it. And it's got the Business Bible in there for some inspiration. And I'll give you guys the links to everything below, and if you have any questions, please let me know and I'll see you guys on Monday.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys so much for tuning in today's episode of Stepping Up. I don't want this to be just another podcast that you listen to you get inspiration and then you don't take action. If there's been something in this episode that will help you step up into the best version of yourself, open up.
Speaker 2: Your trusted planner and make a plan.
Speaker 1: And if you've loved listening to today's episode, take a screenshot and show me where you've been listening from.
Speaker 2: I love seeing it.
Speaker 1: Make sure you tag us at Stepping Up and Steph Pace underscore on Instagram so we can see it and make sure you subscribe, because you won't want to miss what's coming up next week.