Speaker 1: On scoring leaves Australia.
Speaker 2: This is the Wider Panalty Show.
Speaker 3: Good evening and welcome to the REATA Patty Show.
Speaker 4: Patrick Carlin will be here to discuss the day's top headlines.
Speaker 3: The Great Douglas Murray.
Speaker 4: Will be with me shortly and he's always in top form.
Speaker 3: We don't want to miss that.
Speaker 4: Kosher Gator will have the latest from the US, and later in the hour, Colleen Harken on the twisted priorities of the Australian school.
Speaker 3: Curriculum and left is losing.
Speaker 4: It is full of sin and silliness and lies like.
Speaker 5: This sinan does not heed our country. That should go without saying.
Speaker 4: But first let's start with this car crash interview on the ABC.
Speaker 3: Here is till and Member for.
Speaker 4: Kyong Monique Ryan floundering badly after being asked a rather simple question. First she railed against the right wing media and Australia having sources in the Liberal Party, God forbid, and then she failed to answer a straightforward question about transparency and integrity.
Speaker 6: Much of what is put into the press, and the right wing press in particular, has been fed to it. But my political opponents.
Speaker 2: Well, OK, we're talking about paying we're actually paying for content. Do you have a problem with that?
Speaker 3: Look, I think we're.
Speaker 6: Paying to generate the content that we're putting in front of the voters.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure there's a big issue there.
Speaker 2: But should it be clear to voters people who are looking at this content that it's paid for by the politician?
Speaker 6: I don't really have an opinion on it, really.
Speaker 3: Really, really, monique. This isn't hard.
Speaker 4: It's not a got your question, It's not a nuanced store something to ponder unless you're a Till, a hard left till who pretended to be a conservative alternative. The train Wreek interview continued. David Spears was trying not to laugh out loud here.
Speaker 2: I think, Well, you don't think voters deserve to know that if someone they're watching is saying great things about a politician, whether they're being paid by that politician.
Speaker 6: I have to give it some thought. It's not something I've given great thought to myself. Obviously, I haven't engaged in anything like that muscle.
Speaker 2: You'd have to give that some thought.
Speaker 6: Well, Uh, I would think that it would be clear. I don't know.
Speaker 8: I think.
Speaker 7: I'd have to give it some thought.
Speaker 4: Done, Yes, let's think about that. Just incredible stuff from doctor Minigue. There, David Spears tried again with this very simple question. All she had to do was disavow something that is clearly dodgy and dishonest. Remember, the tills are meant to restore integrity.
Speaker 2: So you might be all right with politicians paying for content that voters have no idea money is changing hands.
Speaker 6: Well, I think that's potentially happening, been happening for a long time. If you look at the cartoons that Pauline Hanson's been putting on the social media for years now, which are very clearly politically biased cache, I'm not sure that that is the case. Actually, I think it's an interesting question. I think media diversity and the way that our media works in this country is something which would certainly merit greater examination and something that we could talk about.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll move on. Your husband, of course, famously apologized for being caught on camera removing signs from your liberal opponent Amelia Hamer.
Speaker 3: One sign. It was one sign, just one sign, nothing to see.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 4: She goes on some incoherent ran there about media diversity in Pauline Hansen's cartoon series to try to deflect to not answer a simple question about integrity and transparency. As for that satirical cartoon series.
Speaker 3: Please explain.
Speaker 4: I think they now there, Monique Character.
Speaker 3: Sure, so why are not Time Minister yet? Monique, You've been in the public service for like two days?
Speaker 7: It should be me.
Speaker 8: I should be in India. Imagine me on my head and where's my own point.
Speaker 3: Of the Kurish coronation.
Speaker 4: Joining me now for more on This is News Corps senior writer Patrick Carline. Patrick, that was a mess. That was not a good moment for Monique Ryan.
Speaker 9: That was painful to watch, wasn't I I mean, how many times can you dance around a very simple question like that. She's there because supposedly transparency and integrity. He's a gross example of something that was intransparent and wasn't above board. Even the Greens have called out. Even the Greens have called it out, as have the mainstream parties. This was not a hard question and she really got called out, didn't she. I mean, she just didn't know what to say. It was painful to watch.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're supposed to be independents. They keep telling us this is not this group who is a political party. We know, Simon Holmes, the court devotes all sorts of funding to them, but surely you can say, yes, she may be a colleague, but I think she made a mistake here, and it's not a decision I would make. Sticking with the election campaign, economists have warned that the campaign has turned into a dangerous spending competition between the major parties, with both Labor and the Coalition bribing voters with schemes worth billions of dollars. As they're otherwise lackluster campaigns failed to gain traction, and patrick are growing fears that competing election promises on housing in particular, are tinkering while our creaking system lurches towards collapse.
Speaker 3: That's a direct quote.
Speaker 4: We can ill afford this sort of spendathon, can we We've got inflationary pressures to consider and record debt.
Speaker 9: That's right. Somebody worked out that if you added together the cost of these proposals by Labor and the Coalition, you're looking at twenty four billion dollars between them for something that economists say is not going to work. These measures are not going to make it easier for first home buyers. It's just going to push up the price of houses and these are bribes. Basically, we're looking at a campaign at the moment that is very much aimed at anyone under the age of thirty. You've got young voters for the first time, and it has become this spenderthon what are the best bribes we can bring for young people to get them to vote for us. And we're not being at all well served. I mean, the big issues facing Australia are not being discussed, much less debated.
Speaker 4: What's in this campaign for say, over fifty fives. You look at the focus does seem to be overwhelmingly on those younger voters.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, and these aren't good policies. These aren't actually going to fix the word. These are just bribes to actually get young voters to vote for them. And look the Teals are doing it. The Greens are going to make everything free. From the sound of it, everything's free if you're under the age of thirty. And we're not being well served, and they're certainly very little for anyone who's older, who has paid their way, who has paid their taxes. They have been sort of forgotten in this whole campaign so far.
Speaker 4: Now let's switch to the Victorian Liberals. Who are very slow learners. Indeed, the Herald signs reporting that multiple candidates will be challenging more A Deemings number one position on the Western Metropolitan Upper House ticket. When pre selection begins. It's going to be happening shortly after the federal election. There is a plot by Liberal operatives to end more A Deming's political career with the Liberal Party. Patrick, she's one of the most popular, one of the most effective and recognizable Liberals in this state.
Speaker 3: There aren't too many of them.
Speaker 4: Why are they so desperate to unsee Look.
Speaker 9: The Lids haven't had any sniff of power since twenty fourteen at the main members of Victorian were subjected to the worst government in my lifetime. Victorians just want to boot out just Into Allen ahead of letters. We get elected ahead of just Into Ellen tomorrow. But the Liberals at the same time are too busy fighting themselves. They haven't actually been a credible alternative for more than a decade, and now this more redeeming business. It should have been resolved in a day, maybe two days, but instead we had a defamation case. We saw the opposition leader John Pisudo knocked out as a consequence of that they're too busy fighting themselves and we are actually being poorly served by an opposition that is too busy fighting with itself.
Speaker 4: And I have said all along, one of the reasons we've had such a poor government in this state is that we've got such a poor opposition.
Speaker 3: They haven't held them to account. And here we are.
Speaker 4: Now, finally, Patrick, we're talking about the Greens. Let's meet one of theirs. Meet Avery Howard, the Greens candidate for Fowler.
Speaker 3: Goes by. They then pronouns, of course, of course he does.
Speaker 4: A self described queer, anti poverty advocate and retail worker, Avery has signed up to an Australian Palestinian Advocacy Network initiative and vow to support a complete and permanent cease firing Gaza and all sorts of other anti Israeli policies, and to Israel's blockade on Gaza, illegal occupation and apartheid, targeted sanctions and arms in bargo against at Israel many other things. I thought this was parody when I saw that. I mean the level of ignorance to be advocating for a regime that would literally kill you. You would not go into Gaza looking like that. With her mass in charge. You wouldn't even go into the West Bank looking like that.
Speaker 9: That's off the chart. It's an affront to truth and to decent see. It's totally wrong, and it's getting more and more offensive.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Patrick Carlin, thank you for your time tonight. Joining me now is best selling author Douglas Murray's latest book on Democracies and Death Colts, Israel and the Future of Civilization has just hit.
Speaker 3: The shelves and guests.
Speaker 4: Who was promoting this latest work none other than the leader of the free world, President Donald Trump, wrote, my friend Douglas Murray just released a new book on Democracies and Death Colts, and it is quickly becoming a best seller. Based on his first hand reporting, Douglas documents the barbarity of her master's brutal attack on Israel on October seven and Israel's heroic response. The book serves as a strong reminder of why we must always stand up for America and our great friend and ally Israel. A powerful read and a highly respected author, Get your copy today.
Speaker 3: Good Lord Douglas, that is some endorsement.
Speaker 4: Did you have any ink the President was going to do that?
Speaker 8: I suppose I have to be careful what I say. I gave him a copy last week.
Speaker 4: Well, clearly he's read the book and loved it. We know he doesn't sleep much, so he's read that very quickly. Douglas, you're making news again, not just writing and commenting on the headlines, but in the thick of it. Thanks to a rather robust discussion you had on Joe Rogan's podcast. It's been the talk of X and elsewhere for days. There was a clash between yourself and Dave Smith, and you even took on the man who has the biggest audience, the biggest podcast audience in the world, Joe Rogan on his own show.
Speaker 1: I just feel who you get it out straight away. I feel you've opened the door to quite a lot of people who've now got a big platform, who have been throwing out counterhistorical stuff of a very dangerous kind.
Speaker 4: Douglas, You've had plenty of people praising your performance and agreeing with you, but there has also been criticism from those who say you are trying to silence debate and appealing to authority or appealing to the expert class, they say, and the expert class hasn't exactly been reliable of late.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 1: I conceded all of that in the discussion on Joe's podcast. I conceded that experts have got things wrong. Look at the COVID and the lab league. And I also said, I certainly am not shutting down debate. I'm involved in debate, so why would I be shutting it down. What I do believe and what I think many people have completely failed to absorb is the fact that there just because you know, the expert class has let itself down in places on occasion, does not mean that lack of expertise is more desirable than expertise, And it does not mean that we should just have other ways of knowing about things that can be known about.
Speaker 8: The cat part who Joe Rogan brought in for that debate seemed to think that, for instance.
Speaker 1: Not going to a place that you're talking about was in some way a desirable thing. Whereas I as a journalist, you as a journalist, though that if we cover a story in a country, For instance, when you were covering the American election in twenty twenty, as I was.
Speaker 8: You were in America, why were you in America? Because you were covering the American elections?
Speaker 1: And if you'd have been just sitting in Australia covering the American elections. That wouldn't have had the validity that it does if you are in the country you are writing about.
Speaker 8: I think this is a.
Speaker 1: Deliberate misunderstanding by people. And let me very quickly explain why Joe Rogan is a big MMA guy. I probably know you probably know about as much about MMA.
Speaker 11: As I do.
Speaker 8: You might surprise me, Rita.
Speaker 1: But if either of us went on his podcast and decided to spend the three hours talking.
Speaker 8: About MMA, we would be found out.
Speaker 1: Pretty fast as not knowing what we were talking about. And at some point Joe would cott an end to that and he would say, I'm sorry, you'd seem not to know about this subject. Well, that's because it's a subject he knows a lot about. My simple point is that there is something very different happening if a host's platform repeatedly cranks with the same opinion as each other on very very important questions and do not allow on contrary views or very rarely, for instance, to not have somebody on who is supportive of Ukraine as opposed to highly highly critical of Ukraine.
Speaker 8: Since twenty two seems to me to be a big issue to.
Speaker 1: Say that, for instance, you spent the last eighteen month highlighting, promoting, giving a platform to anti Israel voices and just never almost never or accidentally giving a platform to anyone who's anti Hemaz.
Speaker 8: And pro as well seems to me to be a major failing.
Speaker 1: And I just wanted to call it out because it's something I see and I think a lot of other people see it and are equally concerned about it.
Speaker 8: But as I say, on issues like.
Speaker 1: Mma fighting or anything else, people would notice there was something strange going on if guests were turning up who didn't know.
Speaker 8: What they were talking about.
Speaker 1: And I submit that when you get pseudo historians on talking, for instance, about Churchill and claiming that that Adolph Hitler wasn't openly anti Semitic in the nineteen thirties, but that Winston Churchill was the cause of the Second World War, I would submit you are entering very dangerous territory if you leave such ideas out there and leave them out unchallenged.
Speaker 8: So I'm all for the debate, but what I see in certain realms of the rape is not actually a debate.
Speaker 4: Now let's go to the UK, where the Keir Starmer government seems preoccupied with a Netflix drama Adolescens and is forming policies inspired by this fictional TV series. Meanwhile, Douglas, they're watering down reviews into real misogyny, into real rape culture that saw thousands of girls of young women abused in the Grooming gang scandal.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is so typical of the British government. Kenny Bednock was questioned on the weekend shows once again as to why she hasn't watched this Netflix show, as if it's compulsion reviewing and you know that it's it should lead government policy and and so on.
Speaker 8: It is, it is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: I thought the drama was highly speecious, as I think I mentioned to you before.
Speaker 8: But yes, it's it's a complete cover.
Speaker 1: I mean, Jess Phillips announced, who's mentally the minister who looks after women's rights among other things. And she she announced just before a recess the other day that actually the government was shelving it's it's it's minimal inquiries into some of the rape gang scandals in Britain. And she announces that and then you know, in her side says things like you know that the opposition raising issues of you know who the victims are the fact that some of the most of the victims in those grooming gangs were subjected to the rape and tortures they were because they were white. That mentioning that is in some way islamophobic or system So this is so typical of British politics these days, as indeed other countries' politics has been kind of grabbed by this agenda. You pass over real crimes and you talk about non crimes, you ignore unbelievable things that have actually happened in your country, and you fixate on a fictional Netflix drama.
Speaker 8: I wish I was surprised that this is so Labor Party.
Speaker 3: It is, and.
Speaker 4: It is absolutely mind boggling how this isn't a bigger outrage in the UK. There aren't people marching in the streets every weekend over this issue.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 4: Rape and abuse and torture, human trafficking on an enormous scale across the country, and so many people who seem to be very much obsessed with women's right and human rights pay.
Speaker 3: Its scant attention.
Speaker 4: Before you go, Douglas, I've got to ask you about John Oliver is upsetting people in the US and beyond with another lengthy rant about trans athletes apparently males of no real advantage and women should just copy it, and those making an issue about this and the real villains. He also seems to be an authority on what happens in girls' bathrooms.
Speaker 12: Last year, for instance, Peyton McNabb tweeted the video of her confronting a trans woman with the caption a man using the girl's bathroom at Western Carolina University unreal, which is really nasty And for the record, ambushing strangers just minding their own business is not what girls' bathrooms are for. Girls bathrooms offer gassing each other up, making best friends with thirty seconds, complimenting tops, tucking in tags, and zipping up dresses. What one girl says, OMG, that lipstick looks so good on you.
Speaker 4: I don't know about you, Douglas, but I found that not only spectacularly unfunny but also a little bit creepy.
Speaker 3: I mean, what is he on about?
Speaker 4: And what is this preoccupation with almost gas lighting the audience about the real advantage that male bodies enjoy over female bodies. That's why we have two categories. It's not just for the to double the viewing audience. There's a reason why women cannot compete fairly with men.
Speaker 8: Yes, it's John Oliver said you before.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's so strange because the man, the guy started out as a comedian, and he just doesn't.
Speaker 8: Seem very funny.
Speaker 1: He talks like the sort of preacher to pulpit from rating his audience in the congregation of old I mean.
Speaker 8: It's very strange.
Speaker 1: He's not entertaining, he's telling and certainly for me at anyway, it's not something I love in my comedy. But as you say, there's something a little creepy better as well, because he's also I think what he's doing is he's willing to go willing to go absolutely anywhere to defend a lie which is at best cracked. I think at the moment, this idea that you know, men should tell women, that they should allow men into women's bathrooms has kind of fallen apart of late, and it's very unpopular with the public outside of a small minority of people who are obsessed with the idea that until a trans woman as they call them, can go into a women's bathroom, nobody will be free and there'll be no.
Speaker 8: Justice in the world.
Speaker 1: But it is a strange thing. But as I say, strangest is that he's hanging on to this idea that this is the rights issue or something after the rest of America has effectively said in the last election, we want to get beyond this stuff. Please God, let us just move on and stop pretending this is the big issue and a complex issue and one that is so difficult. We can't work it out unless you agree that all trans men are men and all trans women are women, and that's it, and just repeat the dogma of the time. It's so extraordinary, decease it really. John Oliver is being very twenty twenty there, and he should check the date of the diary because you'll find that he's been something of a coma.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, we should move to Australia because we're somewhat of an outlie, Douglas.
Speaker 3: I hate to say, we are still.
Speaker 4: Sort of clinging to those twenty twenty notions that you know, a so called gender firming care is kindness and we should just respect pronouns unquestionably and say Australia is a little bit behind.
Speaker 8: I like the Australian, I like the Australian public and people too much to wish. John Oliver on them.
Speaker 3: Rita, well, I hope you're right. Douglas Murray, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 4: Thank you still to Karma Lefties losing it plus the mad carry on from the Richard famous ladies who went into space Kosher Gator as the details. You're watching the Rita Paney Show, and it's time for Lefty's losing it. It's predictable. But I have more CNN nincompoopery. Yes that is a word. Look it up or just watch CNN because you'll be overwhelmed by Nicko and Poops indulging in endless nick and Pooprey. I'll be bringing you sin and anchor Caitlin Collins being comprehensively owned soon. But first, let's look at the aftermath and CNN host Dana claiming that it's misinformation to say that CNN is anti America.
Speaker 5: Say, for the record, since we heard President Trump say in the Oval Office that CNN hates our country, CNN does not hate our country. That should go without saying.
Speaker 3: Oh really, Dana, let's go to the type.
Speaker 4: I could play hours of footage of CNN hating on America. But he's just thirty seconds of CNN being anti American.
Speaker 6: Miss Grants, here's a breaking news.
Speaker 1: We live in a racist, sexist, homophobic, islamophobic, anti Semitic country.
Speaker 13: Everything they're doing runs against making America great. Well, it was never great, so I'm not going to say the again part, but making America great.
Speaker 14: Taking off the Independence Day weekend, President Trump will be at Mount Rushmore, where he'll be standing in front of a monument of two slave owners and on land wrestled away from Native Americans. Told that be focusing on the effort to quote tear down our country's history.
Speaker 4: Now to what sparked this latest sin and outrage. Earlier today, Caitlyn Collins was again advocating on behalf of a gang banger from El Salvador who was deported to El Salvador. Apparently that is a massive mistake that needs to be corrected. Listen here to how President Trump introduces Caitlyn Collins.
Speaker 8: Let's hear the question from this very low rated anchor.
Speaker 13: I want to ask presidentially to help return the man who your administration says was mistake was deported the man who was mistakenly deported to El Salvador.
Speaker 4: A MS thirteen gang banger in the country illegally. Apparently it's a massive mistake to deport him.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 4: President Trump called on the Attorney General Pam Bondi to respond to the question, and then Stephen Miller. Even Mark Rebrivio chifed in Mike Drop after Mike Drop.
Speaker 3: This was glorious.
Speaker 15: First and foremost, he was illegally in our country. He had been elie in our country. And in twenty nineteen, two courts, an immigration court and an appellate immigration court ruled that he was a member of MS thirteen and he was illegally in our country.
Speaker 4: President Trump then called on Senior Advisa Steven Miller to whine, given CNN is obsessed with this case, as you.
Speaker 13: Know, it's asked by CNN, and they always ask it, where the slant because they're totally slanting because they don't know what's happening.
Speaker 7: That's why nobody's watching them.
Speaker 8: But would you answer that question?
Speaker 13: Also, you seem gladly so, as Pam mentioned, there's the illegal alien from El Salvador. So with respect to you, he's a citizen.
Speaker 1: Of El Salvador.
Speaker 13: So it's very arrogant, even for American media to suggest that we would even tell El Salvador how to handle their own citizens as a starting point. As two immigration courts found that he was a member of MS thirteen. When President Trump declared MS thirteen to be a foreign terrorist organization, that meant that he was no longer eligible under federal law, which I'm sure you know you're very familiar with the iron a, that he was no longer eligible for any form of immigration or relief in the United States, that neither Secretary of State nor the President could be compelled by anybody to forcibly retrieve a citizen of El Salvador from El Salvador, who again is a member of MS thirteen, which is I'm sure you understand, rapes, little girls, murderers, women, murder's children, is engaged in the most barbaric activities in the world. And I can promise you if he was your neighbor, you wouldn't move right away, So you don't plan.
Speaker 4: Yep, even after all of that, Caitlin wants to know if Trump is going to ask the gang banger be returned to America.
Speaker 13: Well, no version of this legally ends up with him ever living here, because he is a citizen of El Salvador, that is the president of El Salvador. Your questions about it, per the court can only be directed to him.
Speaker 15: I asked.
Speaker 3: President President Buke Wigan on this, do you plan to return?
Speaker 16: Well, I suppose you guys suggested that I smuggle a terrorists in today United States?
Speaker 15: Right?
Speaker 16: How can I How can I return him today? Uts like, could I smuggle him into the United States or whether I do? Of course I'm not going to do it. It's like, let me. The questions were bosterous. How can I smuggle the terrorists today? United States?
Speaker 3: Yes, it is preposterous.
Speaker 4: President for Cala, No one would expect you to smuggle a terrorist into the United States other than CNN of course.
Speaker 7: Well, they'd love to have a criminal, you know, Reis Sedule.
Speaker 16: I mean, I mean, there's just a fascin They would love it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they have sick These are sick people.
Speaker 9: Mark A.
Speaker 8: Gibbs something to say.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean, Stephen Island, I don't understand what the confusion is.
Speaker 3: This individual is a citizen.
Speaker 15: About Sabagory, he was illegally in the United States and was returned to his country.
Speaker 3: That's where you deport people back to their country of origin. I keep up.
Speaker 4: Even the Secretary of State wig In wasn't enough for seeing it.
Speaker 13: Well, the President, you said that if the Supreme Court said someone needed to be returned, that you would abide by that.
Speaker 3: You said that on Air Force one just a few days ago, and.
Speaker 7: They said that it must keep facating.
Speaker 9: Why don't you just say, isn't it wonderful that we're keeping criminals out of our country?
Speaker 8: Why can you just say that?
Speaker 5: Why do you go over and over and that's why nobody watches you anymore?
Speaker 7: You know you have no credibility.
Speaker 4: Like I said, Nincompooprey weapon grade Nincompoofrey.
Speaker 3: Let's bring in Sky News.
Speaker 4: Contributor Kosher Gayta Kosher. Why do the American left CNN the Democrats keep pushing on this issue where Donald Trump enjoys overwhelming support the American people, and the polling shows this support the deportation program. They want these gang bangers in particular out of the country. We're talking about the worst of the worst here. We're not just talking about people in the country illegally. Someone who was found to be an MS thirteen gang member, and they won't let it go.
Speaker 10: It really is fascinating. It feels like it's a dysfunctional robot, like the way she's asking the same questions in the software update just didn't happen, and it's kind of no matter what who said it, and all the heavy hitters in the administration, one after the other, were coming and set same Going back to that same talking point, I think also, since they're so much losing in the big picture of this issue, it's actually fascinating how much public support has shifted in a relatively short period of time to deporting all illegals, not only the violent ones.
Speaker 7: And they still do this.
Speaker 10: So when they've lost the big picture, they like to go into minutia and they've had a couple of small wins along the way. In this particular case where one court said that he can be deported but not to El salvad Or even though that's his home country, because he claimed persecution.
Speaker 7: Or whatever it is.
Speaker 10: That's still working its way up the court, but in the interim they got a little bit of a win. And that's why I think CNN is just latching onto that one little detail and foregoing the big picture in the fact that they're really outside of where the American population is.
Speaker 3: But even on a micro level.
Speaker 4: With this particular case, you've got someone who's in the country illegally, they're from El Salvador, they're being deported to El Salvador, and somehow this is the one case that they want to highlight to show why this program is flawed. It's absolutely mad on El Salvador. President at buuela extraordinary leader, extraordinarily popular, and he has been just hugely effective in transforming El Salvador, particularly when it comes to the crime issue.
Speaker 10: It's such an amazing story and it really shows what can be done when you take an iron fist approach to crime, which was rampant in El Salvador. It was the homicide capital of the world just a few short years ago, the highest number of homicides per capita compared to anywhere else. And with his victory as the president in twenty nineteen, that's dropped ninety five percent ninety five percent, and that's why he won reelection resoundingly, because this matters to people that you can walk on the streets safely and not worry about that. And now he's also turned it into i think one of their largest exports where he's he's running the prisons all so well and it's this real hardcore prison that sends a message and it's a massive deterrent to criminals. Now people are sending their own criminals to him because they've become experts at reducing crime and punishing criminals.
Speaker 3: The stats are incredible.
Speaker 4: To go from one of the most dangerous places in the world to one of the safest. I think it's one of the safest in that region, or the safest. It's again huge achievement. We've talked about Harve Milay before. He's been called the Argentinian Trump. He's been again hugely impactful in Argentina. We've talked about El Salvador, and now Ecuador has returned again a center right leader. There seems to be a bit of a right wing resurgence in South America.
Speaker 3: Kashia for sure.
Speaker 10: I think, you know, we've seen sheds of it, of course in Europe, which we've discussed for related and in some cases different reasons. And then in Latin America it's the same thing. The economy and cost of living and all of that, but on top of that crime because some of those countries are very, very crime wridden, as we've just discussed, and so you run on those common sense platforms that we're going to take an ironfriest approach to criminality. We're going to prosecute and hold people accountable to the fullest extent of the law. We're going to have sensible logical economic policy, We're going to have a sensible foreign policy in terms of how we partner with the US, and so on and so forth.
Speaker 3: You're going to win, and he did.
Speaker 4: And there's also an alliance being formed between these countries and the US, and I think it's something Australia needs to take note of because we've just, i think taken for granted this very close relationship we've had with the US. And we know with Donald Trump, he hasn't taken kindly to some of the things our leaders have said about him. And there's other countries where they seem to be more on the same page value what was with the Trump administration Is that pose any sort of a threat to Australia's place with its closeness with America.
Speaker 10: I think alliance has changed. Just because they've been a certain way for one hundred years. It's hard to grapple get our arms around that, but they do change. And also as more and more of these countries are shifting to the rate in terms of the leaders that they're electing. It'll be very interesting to see what happens here, what happens in Canada, and if you get more of the left routining or staying in power. It just sounds like there's so much delay to that between how Trump used the world versus then. But Trump only has less than four years left, so we don't know what's going to happen beyond that.
Speaker 3: We don't.
Speaker 4: But the front runner at the moment, and yes it's early days, is JD.
Speaker 3: Vance and JD.
Speaker 4: Vans is Trump plus twenty percent is Trump, but even more staunch in this worldview. Now, let's engage in a bit of hyperbole. We love a bit of hyperbole on this program. And it doesn't get more crazy than this. This is just ridiculous carry on from some very rich, very famous ladies who have been lucky enough to go into space for a few minutes.
Speaker 17: But it one, two, three, Tamiras in space.
Speaker 4: The ladies there are singer Katie Perry, TV presenter Gail King, you know Oprah's bestI, civil rights activists Amanda Ewan, former rocket scientist Asha bo and filmmaker Kerrie Ane Flynn and soon to be wife of Jeff Bezos, Laurence Sanchez. They were all in Jeff Bezos's Blue Origin spacecraft.
Speaker 10: There.
Speaker 4: Let's hear from Katie.
Speaker 3: Perry and try not to lose your dinner listening to this.
Speaker 18: It is the highest high and it is surrender to the unknown. Trust, and this whole journey is not just about going to space. It's the training, it's the team, it's the whole thing. I could recommend this experience more. This is like up there with all the you know, different tools that I've learned in my life, from meditation to the Hoffmann process. This is up there because what you're doing is you find you're like really finding the love for yourself because you've got to trust in yourself on this journey. And then you're feeling the love when you come down for sure, and you're feeling that strength. So I feel really connected to that strong, divine feminine right now.
Speaker 3: I warned you it wasn't good.
Speaker 4: Laurence Sanchez was also reduced to tears by the experience.
Speaker 18: Six women just did the same flight that.
Speaker 15: Yeah he did.
Speaker 3: I just want to keep hugging you.
Speaker 17: It's really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I hope I hope that more.
Speaker 18: People get to see this because I feel I don't even know how much it's going to change me.
Speaker 4: Kosha am I being too jaded here, but I can't find inspiration in this. You've got some very rich, famous women who were selected because they're rich and famous, not because they've got any understanding of science or space or any particular passion for it, And we're supposed.
Speaker 3: To be uplifted by this.
Speaker 4: I think this is just so completely unrelatable to the average person, for sure.
Speaker 10: I think the cynic in methinks that it was just a marketing strategy by Blue Origin, which is way far behind SpaceX and the commercial private space industry, and this is a way to get a lot of media and attention and hate putting famous people with perfect hair like up in space for two minutes in a zero gravity environment. They are melodramatic. I think back to Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin and the types of interviews they would have given back in the sixties after they accomplished what they did, and it would be much more understated.
Speaker 3: The astronauts were.
Speaker 4: We just rescued by SpaceX after what eight nine months in space.
Speaker 3: When they were supposed to be there for.
Speaker 4: About a week, they had less carry on and then what we just saw there looks like that cured cancer.
Speaker 3: So much more gracious.
Speaker 10: And also I think it's a reflection of celebrity culture where it's so much naval gazing and narcissism, where it was about her and Katie Perry's meditation and her in her love and all that, as opposed to thanking the engineers at Blue Origin, that might be more appropriate.
Speaker 4: Exactly, a lot of unearned privilege on display there. Before you go, I'm interested on your take on the meeting President Trump had with Bill Maher, one of his biggest haters.
Speaker 3: He invited him for dinner.
Speaker 4: Let's see what happened and why Bill Maher is now being called a traitor by many on the left.
Speaker 11: Okay, as you know, twelve days ago, I had dinner with President Trump, a dinner that was set up by my friend Kid Rock because we share a belief that there's got to be something better than hurling insults from three thousand miles away. And I know as I say that, millions of liberal sphincters just tightened. Oh my god, Bill, are you going to say something nice about him. What I'm going to do is report exactly what happened. You decide what you think about it, and if that's not enough, pure Trump hate for you, I don't give a f Now does Trump want respect? Of course, who doesn't. My friend said to me, what are you going to wear to the White House? I said, I don't know, but I'm not going to dress like Zelensky. I'll tell you that. I've had so many conversations with prominent people who are much less connected, people who don't look you in the eye, people don't really listen because they just want to get to their next thing, people whose response to things you say just doesn't track, like what. None of that with him, and he mostly steered the conversation too. What do you think about this? I know your mind is blown, so's.
Speaker 3: Mine, Kasha. What do you think of that?
Speaker 10: This is a cultural milestone and the arc of Trump. He went from being a very popular person rap songs and movie cameos to cultural kryptonite Orange Man, Bad Hitler re Incarnate, and now to this. It really is such a roller coaster, full circle, I think for him, and it's a watershed moment in the culture.
Speaker 4: And we saw that with the UFC again on the on the weekend, where it wasn't just the USC fighters that were flocking to him, there was gridiron, plash, shack shack and O'Neil made a point of going and shaking his hands. So yeah, there is this shift happening. Koshergator, Thank you so much for your time. Pleasure still to come. Colleen Harken on some of the twisted priorities of the Australian school curriculum don't go away, welcome back. Joining me now is Institute of Public Affairs Research Fellow and director of the IPA's Schools Program, Colleen Harken.
Speaker 3: Colleen, you wrote last week about.
Speaker 4: Australia's bloated mathematics curriculum. You say the fact that it is three and a half thousand pages long is not a sign of sophistication. It's a symptom of confusion, ideological ambition.
Speaker 3: And the reason.
Speaker 4: It's so is because it is cluttered with politically charged cross curriculum priorities such as sustainability in Aboriginal ant or a Strait Islander histories and culture. Now, compare that to Singapore's Matt's curriculum, it's only eighty pages long compared to three and a half thousand pages.
Speaker 3: Let's have a look at the image.
Speaker 4: It's there on the right, and on the left is our massive curriculum. And as you say, Singapore ranks number one in the OECDPS results and produces some of the world's best maths students.
Speaker 3: What does that tell us, Sam.
Speaker 4: We've got a model of what works, and yet we seem to be doing the opposite.
Speaker 7: Reader Thatt's photograph is a picture.
Speaker 19: Take it on my desk. And it took us days to collect that document. It's not something that you can actually just readily get. We've asked a car for it and they say it doesn't exist and why would.
Speaker 7: You want that?
Speaker 19: So it did take days to download all the content, descriptors, the elaborations, all of the rabbit one that is that becomes the maths curriculum. Wow, And as you just said, I mean Singapore's curriculum is entirely different.
Speaker 7: Is single sentences that tell something like.
Speaker 19: Number and in writing and new rules and writing numbers to ten million, for example.
Speaker 7: And that's it.
Speaker 19: There's no ideology, there's no politicization. It's just that is the task that the teacher has to.
Speaker 4: Surely maths should not have any sort of political ideology. Maths is something that is you've got right answer, you've got a wrong answer, it's not up for discussion.
Speaker 7: Yeah, correct.
Speaker 19: And there are extraordinary circumstances whereas teachers are expected to go off and study things like how aboriginals measured footprints, for example, and that's in maths. So the political activism within the curriculum is right, and that's how we end up with a document that is unwieldy and unusable. And the amount of extra work that it puts on teachers is extraordinary.
Speaker 4: And the amount of work that's gone into producing those three and a half thousand pages at our expense since and you wonder why the expenditure in this area keeps going up whilst results are stagnating or going backwards.
Speaker 19: It is a bureaucratic document written for bureaucraps to keep buroquts in jobs.
Speaker 7: It doesn't serve any real purpose in the real world of education. And you're right.
Speaker 19: I mean, the increase in budget is up now about seventy eight billion dollars a year in our education and our results have gone backwards year on year. Our students are now give or take sixteen months behind where they were twenty years ago. So the doubling of the budget is significant decline in our education system results.
Speaker 4: And when it comes to universities, we know that we've got a lot of junk degrees, a lot of kids being sold false hope, being saddled with student debts for degrees that really aren't going to get them jobs. And we've got the Greens now pushing for UNI fee subsidies to be increased. They basically want everything.
Speaker 3: To be free, very free. How's that going to work?
Speaker 4: And again, are we going to have people doing Universe city degrees that they shouldn't be doing university degrees because it's not in their interest to do so well.
Speaker 19: It seems to be the election of everything free. You know, have what you want, it's all free. But in terms of entry into university courses, there's a very significant concern in students who are entrying courses that they.
Speaker 7: Just are not capable of doing.
Speaker 19: And not only low is the standards for everyone else in the course, but it means that if they eventually get out into the workforce, they're not capable of doing the job. University of Tasmania has accepted a student on an HR score of thirty nine point five, which is the bottom four percent of student results into teaching to a teaching degree that's useful. So it's a double edged sword. If you make it free, you're only going to lower the standards and we're not encouraging students to consider the course it's actually right for them and the competencies that they have.
Speaker 4: Now we've had an update on the University of Queensland senior law lecturer who warned students first year students who protested her inclusion of indigital perspectives it wasn't much of a protest. They basically worked walked out of the lecture. She's told them she remembered their faces and they should watch out what you say and what you do if they ever wanted to work in the legal fraternity or if they wanted to get decent marks in her course. The university fact completely initially, but now the Vice Chancellor, Deborah Teria, says that the institution is taking appropriate action after considering the student comments in the story and looking further into the matter. The university acknowledges that if it had been aware of the full details. We would have taken steps to understand and address the concerns that have come to light and better support students and staff at the time, but we don't know what these appropriate measures she's taking look like. I mean, this is rife throughout universities. I hear so much from students that they have to self censor. They have to write rubbish, they have to regurgitate rubbish to get decent marks, because if they actually articulate their position, even if it's backed up by facts, the university lecturer, the academic will mark them down because it doesn't match their ideology.
Speaker 19: And they've sort of been they're playing the game in order to get the score, to get out the door. But it also means that it's compromising what they should be learning, you know, the skills that they should be gaining during that time. This situation is terrible. It sort of smacks of an entire lack of integrity because had they taken it seriously in the first place, they would have investigated and had a good look at it. And why are they indigenizing the curriculum in the first place, And so now a week later to be able to say, well, we're taking it seriously, well, what actually is happening, like, what is the consequence of it?
Speaker 4: Need some transparency, accountability, We need to know what is this appropriate action? Is the electra going to be counseled, they got a warning? Are they going to a vow not to do this again? Because to have first semester, first year students being told that you remember your faces and you're not going to get work, you're not going to get decent marks, watch your politics and watch what you say.
Speaker 3: That is not what university is supposed to be about.
Speaker 19: A comment that they're going to support students. I mean the support students needs is it needs access to an authentic, uninterrupted education that is not full of activist ideology.
Speaker 7: That's what they have a right. So that's the support that they're there.
Speaker 4: And that's probably what they're paying for. Colleen Harken, thank you for your time, and that's all the time I've got tonight.
Speaker 3: I'll see you at eleven tomorrow. Up next, it's Newsnight,