Speaker 1: On sco Lils Oscodia thinks it's the winder Panety Show.
Speaker 2: Good evening and welcome to the Rita Pannety Show coming up tonight.
Speaker 3: What's behind the rift between.
Speaker 2: The Victorian Liberal leader and the Federal Liberal leader Peter Darton. The new chair of the Australian Sports Commission, Kate Jenkins criticized for undermining female athletes with a raft of trans inclusion policies. David Limbrick joins me to discuss We'll have the Great Alex Epstein fact checking Albo's big battery claims, and Kinziscofield joins me with the latest celebrity news, including reports that Kate Blanchette has taken a stand on the Israeli Palestinian conflict and he left is losing it. We get marriage advice from the leader of the Free World. I said, have a young man think you getting married marrying a family.
Speaker 4: Of five or more daughters? I did my wife's sowld us a five sisters. You know why Wonderful's always love you.
Speaker 2: Here to go over the day's top stories, this Sky News contributor Kosher Gata Kosher. Just as the Victorian Liberals get some good news that had a fantastic poll in the Age. This week, John Pursuto, the hapless Leader goes and spoils it. It's got a feud with Peter Dutton happening, The Herald Sun reports, in a move that's done sections of the party and some of his own MPs. John Pursuita this week refused to attend a Liberal Party multicultural dinner headlined by Peter Dutton after being told he wouldn't be allowed to make a speech. His political judgment is lacking, to say the least kosher.
Speaker 5: It would be hard to dry any other conclusion for sure. Not exactly covering himself in political savvy in fighting is never a good look. Having internal dirty laundry within a party airing out is never a good look. We see these cracks happening more and more in different political parties. Here, of course, it seems to all be downstream from that original sin of the more redeeming situation and amerquent sideways from there, and you're just seeing a show up in different ways. It was a bit ironic because it was a multicultural dinner and that's his portfolio. But here we are, and.
Speaker 2: It's said that more deeming a FED does have a FED bit to do about this rift. It's been reported Peter Dutton wasn't particularly happy with the timing of some of that action, undermining the lead up to the ast and by election. So you can understand why the FEDS would be looking on not too happy, because you would think if any state has a party that should be flying in opposition, it should be the Liberals.
Speaker 3: That the problems we've got in this.
Speaker 2: State, with the debt highest stet of any state in the country, state taxes going up, so much dissatisfaction, and yet despite this poll, I think most people would expect if there was an election today, labor would win.
Speaker 5: Indeed, a lot of people did expect that after the lock down fiasco as well, and we did have an election, So who knows. That's a bigger topic, but it does feel a little bit like snatching defeat from the jobs of victory. Yeah, all the fundamentals are favorable to the Liberal Party, as you pointed out, and it feels like a little bit of a head scratcher that if they're not able to advantage that for their own re electoral prospects, then what would they What would it take.
Speaker 2: Now to a story broken by the Australian newspaper that really exposes some troubling cultural issues at Channel nine, and the chief executive, Mike Sneezebe, is now urging the company's staff to come forward with any complaints about inappropriate behavior. This follows claims about former news boss Darren Wick's behavior, but Kosher, this concern for the welfare of stuff only came about after The Australian broke this story. Before that, they appeared to be going out of their way to hide any wrongdoing in the workplace. So excuse me if I'm a little bit dubious about their claims of caring about the welfare of staff.
Speaker 5: Now it has shades, and obviously this is still an investigation internally that's ongoing and that will run its course. But from what we know so far, it really to me had shades of all these other things that we've seen, whether it was Fox News, CBS, less members, Harvey Weinstein, and Hollywood, like in all those situations, Matt Lauer at NBC, you know, it was sort of not equating and give those people to this scenario, but it's in the same category basically of somebody who was obviously misbehaving against staff in a pretty egregious way. Everybody knew about it, and they never say anything until somebody leaks at breaks and it's impossible to ignore, and then they can conduct these internal investigations and maybe this is in the same.
Speaker 2: Vein Well, we'll say at this point nothing has been proven, but there's certainly allegations and how someone in a position of power left their job. I think that is also something that Channel I weren't completely transparent about it at the time. Reporter r V Yemeni has captured incredible footage of himself being threatened by pro Palestinian activists thugs really as Victoria police looked on.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna get you. I'm gonna what are you going to do live?
Speaker 3: What are you going to do live?
Speaker 6: What are you going to do live?
Speaker 7: What do you get my way?
Speaker 4: You're the camera?
Speaker 8: You want to me?
Speaker 4: Why did you turn my way?
Speaker 9: Why?
Speaker 10: Why did you turn?
Speaker 3: This is Victoria Kosher.
Speaker 2: The police watched a man throw what looked like a bottle, look like the threats were being made a lot of aggression, and they did nothing even as they see the entire I think being filmed.
Speaker 3: So if they've got.
Speaker 2: Someone here with a profile who's got a camera crew there, and they don't do nothing.
Speaker 3: I hate to.
Speaker 2: Think what their approach would be if you're just an ordinary person who's attacked in this way.
Speaker 5: For sure, it's hard to really understand why when there's such an obvious case of assault or violence, or somebody you know, flinging a bottle as you say, that's when it crosses that line. There's a lot of talk about freedom of speech and protecting protesters rights versus when it crosses over. That would be an example when it crossed over. And it is interesting. I'm not sure we could speculate that maybe there's politics that's baked into this issue so much that it's affecting the way the police are deciding and in real time what they do or don't do. But needless to say, for somebody like Avi who had a camera behind him and captures his footage, it's not a good look. And obviously he's gonna he's got a big audience and he's gonna market that and expose you know, what he experienced there.
Speaker 2: Victoria police really need to be far more consistent in how they apply the law. They can't have this two tier policing, selective policing where if they like the alleged victim, they step in. If they don't, then we can't do anything. This is really undermining faith in the police force. Now let's go to the UK, where Prime Minister Isshi Sunak made the surprise announcement that the general election will be held on July fourth this year. The Daily Telegraph calls it a gamble. That's putting it lightly. They also mocked his rain drenched appearance with things can only get wetter.
Speaker 3: His party is.
Speaker 2: Behind in the polls, Kosher badly, twenty seven points behind Labor according to the latest Yugov poll for The Times.
Speaker 3: But you have inflation falling. He's got this.
Speaker 2: Rwandant plan that finally seems to be making its way through Parliament. How do you assess this decision to go early when you're this far behind.
Speaker 3: It's a gamble.
Speaker 5: Indeed, gamble. I've heard it described as a suicide mission instead of I like that one better that you know you're going down, so just cut your losses and go out, go down on your own terms. Earlier who knows, but it seems like something along those lines. We talked earlier about snatching victory defeat from the jaws of victory. Excuse me, this is kind of the same thing that they had a massive majority in twenty nineteen. People in the UK are really really dissatisfied with both parties. Huge issues, immigration, inflation, all of that the same in their counterparts everywhere, and if there were ever a party that had an opportunity to present high contrast positions that address those issues, it should have been the Liberal Party. When they're in power. They completely failed to do that and many are not surprised, including people who are sympathetic to them or voters of them, a lot of them saying that they deserve to lose.
Speaker 3: Other tories have been so hopeless.
Speaker 2: They really have. They've been in power for such a length of time, but it seems like the bureaucracy is round the show and you really wonder how much worse lib it can be.
Speaker 3: I guess we'll find out very shortly.
Speaker 2: Now's who Israeli campaign group which is released really disturbing footage year and I do give a warning for people to step away from the television because this is disturbing footage. This is female troops being captured by her mass militants on October seven. The families of these victims want this footage to be shown. These young women are still hostages of her masks.
Speaker 4: Beautiful.
Speaker 3: And kosher.
Speaker 2: The plight of these hostages has been lost in the coverage that we're getting. There's nothing mentioned in all these protests and marches, the pro Palestinian marches and campus protests. There's nothing said about the hostages. It's almost their hostile to any mention of the hostages. We saw the posters of the hostages being torn down early on and you look at that and it is just so sadistic and barbaric.
Speaker 5: It is a just stick and barbaric, and that's why the family members released it. I think as they're trying to bring attention back to this issue, they're being very critical of the leadership of israel leadership because these are Israeli troops and whether rightly or wrongly, they're saying, it's been more than six months, seven months, where is the hostage negotiation strategy, where is a hostage rescue plan? Why aren't they more of a focal point, as you say, And I think this issue is just morerphed. You know, its tentacles have turned up in all sorts of venues, from free speech to immigration, and different factions of people who view this Israel versus Palestine issue through different lens. But the one thing that was the most unifying in all of it was innocent hostages needing to be released. All sides generally agree with that, and it's completely gotten lost in the fog of war.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and some world leaders are rewarding Hamas's barbaric attack by announcing that they recognize the state of Israel. His Irish Prime Minister Simon Harris.
Speaker 11: Last month, I stood on these same steps with Prime Minister Sanchez of Spain, and we said that the point of recognizing the state of Palestine was coming closer. That point has now arrived. Today Ireland, Norway and Spain are announcing that we recognize the state of Palestine. Each of us will now undertake whatever national steps are necessary to give effect to that decision.
Speaker 2: Israel's Minister of Foreign Affairs wrote on x Today's decision sends a message to the Palestinians and the world that terrorism pa. He also said, these countries are choosing to reward her mass and I ran by recognizing a Palestinian state strong words, and then now before you go Kosher. Fox News's Bill Milujin has done superb work on the US border crisis, has been reporting on it for many Years've seen millions, yes, millions, pouring through that southern border illegally every year of Biden's presidency. Here he is interviewing some recent arrivals, and this group are not economic migrants from Mexico or even South America. They have traveled all the way from Asia and the Middle East to cross into the US through the southern border.
Speaker 8: Where he goes from the country, Folks, Pakistan, India, India, Turkey, Yeah, Turkey, Okay, Yeah, India, where he goes from Turkey, Turkey, Turkey. Where he goes from China, China, Where you guys from India, India, India.
Speaker 3: And Kosher.
Speaker 2: We're hearing the numbers may increase further because they want to take advantage of what could be Joe Biden's final months in office. And it really is incredible to see more than two million every year under Biden coming in this way so.
Speaker 5: Reason and in the era of airfare and air travel, it's not a surprise that people can travel and fly in from anywhere in the world across the border. That is wide open. This is an issue that is also unifying the electorate in a way as never before. People don't want it and it may well be his downfall.
Speaker 2: Kosha Gator, thank you so much for your time to save me. Joining me now is Victorian Libertarian MP David Limbrica.
Speaker 3: David, the new chair of the.
Speaker 2: Australian Sports Commission, Kate Jenkins, has said, my vision is for sports to be safe, air, accessible and inclusive for everyone, with every athlete supported to reach their full potential. Sounds wonderful. But before female athletes celebrate this a little too much, the CEO of Women's Forum Australia, Rachel Wong, reminds us that Jenkins helped destroy the female sporting category when she implemented trans inclusion guidelines in her previous role as a sex discrimination commissioner. Wong rites, so, in other words, Kate wants safe, fair, etc. Sport for everyone except women and girls. David, I know you are deeply involved.
Speaker 3: In this issue.
Speaker 2: Is that a fair assessment or should we give Kate Jenkins an opportunity to show what she's going to do in this new role.
Speaker 12: Well, look, I think what Rachel Wong's saying here is exactly right in that ultimately the reason that different sporting classes were separated between boys and girls is because there's physical differences, and just taking hormones for a period of time doesn't change any of that. The fact of the matter is that female and males are different, and if they want to have sports that are separated, then they should be allowed to do that.
Speaker 2: Now, let's go to the energy crisis. New South Wales and Victorian households are facing a very real threat of energy blackouts this coming summer as both states push ahead with shutting down the cheapest and most reliable current forms of energy we have. David, will renewables ever give us the stable energy supply we need. It seems mad, particularly in this state when we're sitting on so much gas that we could have a shortage.
Speaker 12: Well, we've got cole as well in Victoria, which we've been running on for a very long time.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 12: Whether or not you can get to a fully renewable system is more a matter of cost and reliability, and to my mind, it seems pretty risky to go down a path where your entire energy supply is dependent on the weather rather than dependent on what you can mine or what you can get from gas. So I think it's very risky over the long term. I've been saying for a long time that we need to look at other technologies such as nuclear energy. But yeah, we're risking blackouts. And a lot of this is around the infrastructure that they need to build as well. They need to build a web of networks all over the state and other infrastructure like batteries and condensers and all these things, and that's going to take time. It adds complexity, it adds cost, and where you've got more complexity, more cost, you have things go wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, you've put up a private members built to remove the nuclear prohibition in this state. What are the chances that's going to get up? And with all due respect, why.
Speaker 3: Is it left to you to do this?
Speaker 2: Why aren't the liberal opposition coming up with these plans and trying to ensure we have safe, reliable energy.
Speaker 12: Well, with regards to the nuclear prohibition in Victoria, I just think it's a no brainer that if people who are against it are saying, well it's too expensive, well why have the prohibition? That's argument for prohibition. Look as for the Liberal Party, I don't know like they did end up supporting my bill in Parliament. But the current government. I think that the Premier today said that she's never going to have nuclear because it's too risky. I would argue it's too risky to put, you know, depend on the weather and depend on being perpetually dependent on China, which is what we're doing with the so called cheap renewables.
Speaker 2: Is just so dishonest, I think to try to scare people off nuclear, it's really just ignoring the evidence from around the world. So many countries safely using nuclear energy. We're sitting on the world's biggest reserves of uranium and we're not. We spoke on the show last night about that promising pole for the Victorian Liberals in the Age newspaper. They're well in front of labor. According to that pole. Clearly Victorians are fed up therese state taxes are hurting, but other liberals.
Speaker 3: Are viable alternative.
Speaker 2: How are you seeing their performance in Parliament and are they coming up with policies that differentiate them adequately from labor.
Speaker 4: Look, I think a lot.
Speaker 12: Of the decline in labor really honestly has to do with Dan going away. A lot of people did like him and if you look at it, it's quite interesting. The poll shows are decline in support for Labor, but it doesn't show people going to the Greens. The Greens are sort of flatlining, and it's going to the Liberal Party and cross benches like Libertarian Party. And if you look at it, I think it's the first time I've seen it where the cross benches combined are actually gaining more support than either major party. So I think a lot of people are saying, well, I'm not happy with the government. Some of those are going and looking at the Liberal Party. Some of them are looking at minor parties like the Libertarian Party, you know, as to whether the opposition is viable or not. Look, they've got a lot of problems. They've got to need they need to sort out, I think. But you know, they're trying to unify. How successful that is, I mean, that's up to the electorate. But they've certainly got a lot of problems and they've been on the back foot a lot over the last year.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a lot of material that Labor give the Liberal Party which they never use. I mean, you look at this week, this crazy position and conjecture about the treaty with the minister making the most remarkable comments about colonization and stolen land and people being murdered, the sort of things you'd expect to hear from a first year art student, not a senior cabinet minister. Why are the Liberals so reluctant to venture into those areas and where they know they're on safe ground? The overwhelmed, melming majority of Victorians do not want a treaty.
Speaker 12: A lot of these things. I think they're just scared of being called names. Like we saw it with the fracking band in the last term of parliament. They were scared of getting called, you know, fossil dinosaurs or whatever, and so they end up supporting the government on that. We saw it with things around gender medicine and and the Change of Suppression Act in the last term of parliament, and we see it with issues like nuclear as well. Even though the majority of Victorians are okay with nuclear, they don't come out and say, yes, we're supportive of this like the Federal government has been doing the Federal Opposition has been doing recently. So I think a lot of it is they're just sort of scared of being called names.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, you are being called the state's unofficial opposition leader. So it's an honor, I guess because thank you, and it's something you really took to during those COVID years where we had the liberals again too scared to challenge some of the crazy draconian policies that we saw in this state.
Speaker 3: Before you go, we're seeing wonderful.
Speaker 2: Things from Argentina's new Leaderjava Mila. Here's a libertarian like yourself. Does this give you hope that people will look at libertarians and say they don't just have some good ideas, they can actually govern.
Speaker 12: Well, he's been handed one of the probably one of the worst situations that you could ever come up with. The state was totally in chaos, like in every way, financially, socially, everything, and so he's really focused on economic issues. So one of the things he's done, they had a problem with their rental properties, same as what we've got in Victoria. He went to fully deregulate it because they had regulated pricing, so he wanted to deregulate that. They've seen an increase in the number of rental properties for being available of over two hundred and forty percent in like a month or so. He's already brought the budget back into surplus in only a few months by slashing the public service and a lot of the and also inflation is starting to come down. So I think he's making a fantastic headway so far by focusing on solid libertarian policies, and I wish him all the best for the future. I think they're off to a good start considering he's only been there a few months.
Speaker 2: David Limbrick, thank you so much for your time this evening.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Still to come.
Speaker 2: Alex Epstein breaks down left's latest claims that climate change.
Speaker 3: Is racist plus lefties losing it Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Now it's time for lefties losing it. We've been seeing a lot of Bill Maher lately. He has a book to flog, so he's been everywhere from the View to Guttfeld. Of course he went on Fox, that's where the audience is. But the more we see of him, the more clear it is that this lefty, who is occasionally sane and lucid, is either wildly ignorant or dishonest. Watch as making Kelly educates him or tries to about election denial.
Speaker 10: I just I mean, you keep saying sort of, I'm nuts because I don't see the difference between the elephant and the mouth, and I'm telling you I identify them differently than you do. Hillary Clinton, of course, is the original election denier.
Speaker 7: I'm sure you've voted for her in sixteen.
Speaker 4: Well, she's not an election denayer.
Speaker 7: She absolutely was the og election denier.
Speaker 1: She first of all, she came out before the sun had risen to concede the election to Trump, and.
Speaker 10: Then spent the next four years seeing he was illegitimate, he was an illegitimate president.
Speaker 1: She okay, well, first of all saying she didn't say he was an illegitimate she did.
Speaker 4: Do you tell me exactly what she said?
Speaker 7: She said those exact words repeatedly. Okay, yep, she did.
Speaker 3: She said those exact words, Bill.
Speaker 13: I believe he knows he's an illegitimate president.
Speaker 2: Is Bill maher really that clueless about Hillary Clinton's election denying ways?
Speaker 3: Was Ma hiding under a rock for the years she pushed.
Speaker 2: The lie that the twenty sixteen election was stolen, where she helped formulate and spread Russian collusion conspiracies that undermine democracy in the US. Ma is either frightfully ignorant or lying there are no other options at this point, Let's remind him of some of the things Hilary has said.
Speaker 13: I believe he knows he's an illegitimate president. He knows he knows, though I know that he knows that this wasn't on the level. I don't know that we'll ever know everything that happened, but clearly we know a lot and are learning more every day, and history will probably sort it all out. As I've been telling candidates who have come to see me, you can run the best campaign, you can even become the nominee, and you can have the election stolen from you.
Speaker 2: Apparently Bill mam missed that, and he also missed the truth about January six.
Speaker 3: Or as he calls it, the insurrection.
Speaker 2: Let's listen now to some of his paranoid fantasies.
Speaker 4: In January twentieth, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: He'll show up at the White House, whether he's invited or not, and I don't think that's going.
Speaker 4: To be good.
Speaker 7: He's gonna bomb in if he yes, Oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, bomb is a word I wouldn't even throw around lightly.
Speaker 1: He's not going to do that, right like there was never an attack on the Capitol I hear you, I hear you.
Speaker 3: But he's sho.
Speaker 4: They didn't show up at.
Speaker 1: The Capitol and break windows and knock down doors and killed cops and chased And they.
Speaker 3: Didn't break windows.
Speaker 7: They of course did, No, they didn't.
Speaker 4: Who did? They died of natural causes that day, the Capitol.
Speaker 3: Police officer, Brian Sicknick.
Speaker 14: The medical examiner has determined that he suffered two strokes and died of natural causes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, nobody died that day, cops.
Speaker 1: No, not true, okay, oh, I don't remember the names.
Speaker 7: They didn't. There was Brian Sicknick, who died later after the fact.
Speaker 2: Megan Gilly is so much smarter, better informed, and better at her job than my it's frightening.
Speaker 3: He's the best I've got, though.
Speaker 2: And the man who prides himself on his depth of knowledge and critical thinking skills kept on embarrassing himself here. Megan schools him on the selective enforcement of the law that saw Biden still classified documents and not be charged.
Speaker 10: One actually had the ability to declassify documents and keep them because he'd been the president, and one didn't because he should have been looking at documents only in a skiff. While sitting US senator, and clearly he stole classified documents that he wasn't entitled to and never had the ability to declassify them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe him know more about that than I do. I don't remember that part of it, and I always don't trust anything I hear until I that it from the other side, because everybody sort of has their one sided view of it, and narrative is more important than truth. I know this is the right wing narrative.
Speaker 7: I not like that, Bill.
Speaker 10: I care about facts. I practice law for ten years. I want to get the cases right.
Speaker 2: You know, conservatives are guilty of the bigotry of low expectations. When it comes to Bill, mahb done it too. I've praised him and played his clips when he's occasionally said something sensible, something the right has been saying for years.
Speaker 3: But at his core, he's a.
Speaker 2: Delusional Democrat who has spoken of his dream of saying an news and becoming president. Yeah, the California governor, that one.
Speaker 3: I think. Fellow traveler Bill Burr.
Speaker 2: Summed up mar nicely during their recent chat.
Speaker 4: Also, you say is not smart, it's just sort of obscure. It's not obscure.
Speaker 1: Certain percentage of people some giant egg and egad, I'm just I know you're not that smart.
Speaker 2: And Greg Gottfeldt had the right idea about ma who was on his show earlier this week.
Speaker 1: That's the most important thing that's going on in this country. He didn't concede the last election. He's not going to concede this election.
Speaker 7: You don't know that.
Speaker 4: Everybody said, oh, you smoke too much pot.
Speaker 1: Turn out I smoke just the right amount of there's no right amount.
Speaker 6: So doctor Drews, you're really good at diagnosing mental illness. What is Bill's problem?
Speaker 2: Maybe layoff the pot Bill, that might clear up the TDS. And let's continue with left is losing it. Here we have a biological man identifying as a woman using their position as the Assistant Secretary for Health in the Biden administration.
Speaker 3: To lecture us about how.
Speaker 2: Global warming is disproportionately affecting black people.
Speaker 6: Climate change is having a disproportionate effect on the physical and mental health of black communities. Black Americans are more likely than white Americans to live in areas and housing that increase their susceptibility to climate related health issues, and sixty five percent of Black Americans report feeling anxious about climate changes impact.
Speaker 2: Joining me now is the author of Fossil Future, Alex Epstein. Alexa your response to that, I would argue climate change policies do disproportionately impact poor people, not black people, poor people, whatever color they are. Is that how you see it, because I find it hard to understand how global warming is impacting black people more than everybody else.
Speaker 9: I mean, the truth is that, you know, what they're calling global warming so bad weather. They're saying it's racist, but it's actually classiest in the sense of if you're poor, it's hard to deal with bad weather. That's why as the world has gotten richer, we've become much much safer from climate We have a ninety eight percent decline in climate related disaster deaths over the last century. So obviously, obviously the solution if you care about susceptibility to climate is for everyone to get rich, even within the United States, let alone the rest of the world, where most people are incredibly poor, even compared to you know, the poorest people in the United States. So on the one hand, it's just the exact opposite prescription of what's needed. It's just we need to become wealthier and then on top of it, this person has the goal to say that Blacks are suffering climate related anxiety. That's because you're catastrophizing climate. Maybe the government should prescribe fossil future. That's the solution of climate anxiety.
Speaker 3: That is a very good prescription.
Speaker 2: Indeed, now here's some good news. This week's shareholders at oil giant Shell overwhelmingly rejected a climate change resolution filed by green activists urging it to align its reduction targets to the Paris Climate Agreement. Alex only eighteen percent of shareholders back this proposal.
Speaker 3: In March, we.
Speaker 2: Saw Shell weaken its twenty thirty carbon reduction target. They cited strong demand for gas. They're refocusing on more profitable operations like oil and gas. Seems to be a win for common sense, Alex.
Speaker 9: I think this is a good it's a good development. And contrast this to say, twenty twenty, when you know we had a global pandemic, we had lockdowns that hurt most the oil and gas industry, particularly oil because oil is the basis of modern transportation.
Speaker 4: And all these.
Speaker 9: People saying I was wrong for saying that, you know, we have a fossil future that we actually need more oil going forward, and they're like, look, oil demand is low, it's not good to invest in oil.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 9: Why am I bringing this up in this context because the fact that oil stocks happened to be crashing because of those circumstances allowed a bunch of opportunistic ESG types to claim that disinvesting from oil was somehow a wise investment thing, when in fact what happened is right after that oil became one of the best performing sectors in the world, has demand rebounded and then continued to increase to record levels where we are now and we're still increasing. So what's happened is all these do good or ESG types who are thinking they would get rich being ESG are realizing that they're getting poor being ESG and that if they have SHELL or BP or all these other virtue signalering companies who've claimed that they want to go net zero, that they have to actually do that, it's going to creater their stock. Sola glad that people are waking up to financial reality and it's helping defang this really insidious ESG movement because that not only hurts the oil companies, it most of all hurts the oil consumers, which is the world's eight billion people who need cheap, reliable energy.
Speaker 2: Well, how powerful is the ESG, well, the environmental, social and governance lobby. They seem to control a great deal of the money. Alex is the power wakening. With the pandemic over and things getting back.
Speaker 9: To normal, there are signs of weakness, but we definitely cannot let up at all. I mean, you're seeing more and more people stand up to it. It used to be pretty lonely to stand up to it. Now there are a lot more people saying that it's bad. And in particular the stuff I'm most interested in, the environmental side, the idea of rapidly eliminating fossil fuels, that that is a global death sentence. You're increasingly having people wreckognize that to some extent. But unfortunately, the ESG movement has totally poisoned so many institutions and taken them over. And I'll just give an example in the realm of AI, which is a new huge source of demand in the United States and around the world. A lot of these leading AI users like Microsoft and Facebook have been promoting ESG poison for years and that's led to the shutdown of reliable power plants on our grid. This should sound familiar to Australians and trying to replace them with unreliables and now we don't have nearly enough electricity for AI. So you're seeing these these institutions are not yet apologizing. I'll think it's great when Microsoft and Google and Facebook apologize for ruining our grid with ESG. Until then, I'm not complacent.
Speaker 2: Well, our National Science Agency, the CSIRO, has published a report that insists the powering our country with nuclear energy is going to be far more expensive, nearly double the cost of doing it with renewables. Sixteen billion dollars and sixteen years is what it will apparently take to build a large scale nuclear reactor. Is this true, Alex or is this just another sign of the CSIRO being captured by the green ideology.
Speaker 9: I want to draw people's attention to a weird kind of schizophrenia that you have going on here which you often see, which is there's a total can't do attitude with fossil fuels and in particular nuclear So they act like, oh, it has to be incredibly expensive, even though say South Korea is able to do it cheaply. The United States used to be able to do cheaply before we ruined it with bad regulations. So they have a total can't do attitude with regard to nuclear, but with unreliable solar and wind, which have never powered any country anywhere without totally parasiting unreliable fossil fuels in nuclear, they have this infinite unicorn fantasy can do attitude. And so one of the fallacies here is they're comparing unreliable power to reliable power. So that's you know, that's like comparing rotten oranges to apple. So they're just they're not comparisons. What you need to happen is if you want to use solar and win the so called renewables, those companies should figure out how to make them actually supply reliable electricity, provide the batteries themselves. Then what they see is is just prohibitively expensive. But they're just comparing the cost of unreliable to reliable. So that's that's intellectually non serious.
Speaker 2: It is intellectually dishonest.
Speaker 3: They're absolutely right.
Speaker 2: Now Prime Minister Anthony Albanizi has unveiled a five hundred and fifty million dollars strategy aimed at turning Australia into a world leading battery manufacturer. This is another step we are told in firming up renewables and supporting the net zero transition. But can batteries ever provide that base load power that a first world nation like Australia.
Speaker 9: Needs, You know, ever is a long time, but you know, with the technology we currently have there, they're nowhere near closed. So not even the best form of storage, what's called pump storage, tends to be much cheaper. We just don't have any form of man made storage right now that can accommodate the unreliability of solar and wind. So what happens is you build these battery facilities, and what happens is they'll say, oh, we have this many megawatts of batteries and isn't that going to be great? But a mega waut of batteries is not the same as a megawat of natural gas because the megaat of batteries usually lasts four hours maximum. So if it only lasts four hours, you need a lot more than four hours worth to be able to handle highs and lows of the sun and the wind over you know, days, let alone, let alone weeks. So it's just this fake. It's just this fake stuff being added on to pretend that solar and wind are being reliable. But they're not reliable unless they can truly be self sufficient without parasiting on the other stuff. So again, I say Australian government, anyone who thinks they can make it work, Have somebody figure out how to make a solution just using solar winded batteries. See how much that cost to provide reliable electricity with the same reliability of as coler natural gas or nuclear. You'll be in for a rude awakening. But go ahead and try. But don't just steal everyone's money and restrict fossil fuels and promise the best because there's no evidence it will work at all.
Speaker 2: And what about the elements that go into making these giant batteries, where they come from, the supply chain and the reliance on China. Is that something that isn't given due consideration Alex.
Speaker 9: Well, in general, there's just the you know, the the negatives are challenges of solar and wind are never given due consideration. And then the negatives are challenges of fossil fuels are amplified, you know, one hundred times and just exaggerated beyond all proportions, so there's definitely this bias. I don't think it means fundamentally you can't produce batteries at a much larger scale, but if you look at near term, what people are proposing with these different net zero plans is just a totally unprecedented increase in mining in a very anti mining global environment, particularly in the Western countries that used to be free but now have many, many restrictions on mining. And this is a basic contradiction of the green movement, which says that to achieve quote green energy, we need to mind the world more than we ever have, which the green movement is going to oppose. And I think this confirms my thesis in Fossil Future, and people can learn more about this at Energy talkingpoints dot com that the green movement is really an anti energy movement. It pretends to support energy, but it really just hates human impact on Earth. And if you hate human impact, you hate energy, because energy allows us to impact the Earth to make our lives better.
Speaker 2: Alex Epstein, thank you so much for your time this evening.
Speaker 5: Thanks Rita still to come.
Speaker 2: Ben Affleck Week goes from bad to worse as his cringeworthy attempt at comedy and his striking marriage are scrutinized and inside the Elvis Presley estate fight.
Speaker 15: Who's going to own Graceland?
Speaker 2: You're watching the Reader Paney show. Ben Afflecks week has gone from bad to worse. Not only is the actor's marriage the singer Jennifer Lopez reportedly on the Rocks despite the recent release of her documentary The Greatest Love Story Never Told, but his cringeworthy appearance on the Netflix roast of Tom Brady is being pulled apart by the star of the night, Niki Glazer. Here is Affleck bombing on the roast stage.
Speaker 4: You sitting there.
Speaker 16: Hiding behind your keyboard, spewing out all this toxic about people you'd be afraid to come up to. You saw him at the cart wash, you know, well, went out there and did something.
Speaker 7: Who were successful or.
Speaker 16: Even if another player ended up catching the football on his helmet, maybe they failed. But fans have your back. Okay, you guys out there talking all right behind your keyboard.
Speaker 4: That doesn't make you a fan. That makes you up.
Speaker 2: Oh and here is Nicki Gleiser actually being funny?
Speaker 7: You really are.
Speaker 17: I mean, you're the best to ever play for too long. I mean you were tired, then you came back, and then.
Speaker 7: You were tired again. I mean, I get it.
Speaker 17: It's hard to walk away from something that's not your pregnant girlfriend.
Speaker 7: It's tough.
Speaker 17: Hey, to be fair, he didn't know she was pregnant.
Speaker 3: He just thought she was getting fat and Tom hates fat.
Speaker 17: I mean, do you guys know about his diet program. It is so strict, but if you follow it exactly as he does, you two can lose your family.
Speaker 2: Nicki says part of the reason why Benethlet bombed on the Knot it was because of his poor attitude.
Speaker 17: Because I don't really I don't like to watch people bomb.
Speaker 7: He didn't prepare.
Speaker 17: He's someone who's famous enough that thinks like this is probably beneath them to do this, and so I'm just going to do a favorite. It's not going to be that big of a deal.
Speaker 2: Doining me now is Entertainment and Royal reporter Kinsey Schofield.
Speaker 3: Is he really that arrogant? Kinsey?
Speaker 2: Is he just going to show up to this massive roast of our greatest of.
Speaker 3: All to time? Tom Brady?
Speaker 2: He was definitely I reckon the low light of the whole three hour affair.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, he's best friends with Jimmy Kimmel. Why couldn't he have consulted Jimmy or some of his writers to provide him with something legitimately funny, legitimately good. He really just looked bitter and kind of unhinged throughout that Tom Brady's roast. So I agree, like, clearly something is going on in his personal life, and he seems like he isn't entitled in you know, two miles Child to ask for help. I don't know. It wasn't funny. It just kind of seemed very resentful.
Speaker 2: And it has been called the greatest roast of all time. And there was just so much champagne comedy throughout, and that just stood out because You're right, it was just angry and bitter. It wasn't even he was trying to be funny and failing. It just was sort of a mad rant. Now I've got to ask you about this Cate Blanchette dress. The internet is divided about what it all means something that's her dress is referencing the Palestinian flag at Carnes. Some say the colors of white, black and green with the red of the CANSA red carpet makes a deliberate political statement, but when you look at the dress up plost, the white looks more like a soft pink. It's a Jean Paul golt original designed. Are people just desperate to see politics in everything? Or was she trying to make a subtle statement here?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, I think I'm one hundred percent with you. Blanchette was one of the original actors who signed the Artist for Ceasefire open letter to President Joe Biden.
Speaker 3: You know, that was.
Speaker 14: Calling for an end to the war. But if you look at that gown that photo you just showed, that's a blush pink. I do think that the flag symbolism is a bit of a stretch, and people with an agenda are perpetuating that narrative. You know, I challenge them to try to wear that dress in Gaza though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well she is very political.
Speaker 2: She's she's made all sorts of statements about global warming and other issues. When you mentioned signing that letter, so I think that's part of the reason people are looking for some deeper meaning. But my take of it is it's just address move on people now. Actress scarlets Johansson has expressed her shock and anger at a new feature from the AI program chat GPT that used a voice she described as eerily similar to hers, so similar that friends and family can't tell the difference.
Speaker 3: She revealed she'd previously.
Speaker 2: Rejected an offer from the tech company to license her voice for the product. So did they just go ahead and create her voice without her consent?
Speaker 3: Cancie?
Speaker 14: You know, it is strange because when they approached her to do this, it was in the middle of the actor's strike and one of the biggest actors and writers strike demands was that they navigate the world of AI more carefully because no one wants to get replaced. Had she agreed to do this, she would have been seen as a trader in Hollywood. So yeah, she rejected the offer, And it does seem like Chad GPT said, Okay, well, we're just going to go find somebody that sounds just like you, and they argue that it's not her and it's not supposed to sound like her, But they sure did rep Sky, who sounds just like Scarlet off the internet as quickly as she entered. And so I think that that was almost an admission of guilt.
Speaker 3: Right there. That sky disappeared so quickly.
Speaker 2: Now Elvis Presley's family are fighting hard to keep his iconic mansion, Graceland, off the real estate market. Its sale was scheduled for I think today or tomorrow. His granddaughter, actress Riley Keo, obtained a temporary restraining order against the sale of the Memphis property by Nozani Investments, who claimed Lisa Mary Presley, Riley's mum and Elvis's daughter, had borrowed a three point eight million from the company and used Graceland as security for the loan. Riley claims her mom never brought borrow that money and never gave them.
Speaker 3: A deed of trust. Tell me more about this.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised that they could be trying to sell it or a relatively small debt or three point eight million. I was at Graceland earlier this year, and my gosh, it is a money making enterprise.
Speaker 3: The tours are fool, they're expensive.
Speaker 2: There's just thousands there daily. It seems odd that they would have any sort of money issues.
Speaker 14: Well, obviously you're more impressed with it than Prince Harry was who complained about it in Spare. But yeah, this attempt to foreclose on Graceland is about to become the subject of multiple criminal investigations, including interest from the FBI. The foreclosure was triggered by an alleged unpaid three point eight million dollar debt Lisa Marie never paid, using Graceland as collateral. But like you said, Riley said that this never happened, and people that have had access to this paperwork say it looks very suspicious. The judge has put the temporary halt on the foreclosure, but this investigation is keating up, and people at Graceland are the finger at a very specific person you know in that investment company you mentioned. They've already backed out and they said that they won't they won't continue to pursue it. If somebody really owes you that kind of money, do you so easily back out? So I think that this story has only just begun and I can't wait to see where it goes. It seems like somebody is doing something, you know, something sinister.
Speaker 2: Now, what did Prince Harry say about Gweisland in spam?
Speaker 3: I missed that little Pasha. He wasn't impressed.
Speaker 14: He was not impressed. He said he could not believe how Dungee Engross that he made fun of the carpets, and he was like, I can't believe that Americans think a quote unquote king lived here like Graceland was beneath him. It's like, Harry, what have you done? Elvis built? That was Elvis's shrine. He built that from hard work. He was a nobody and he made something of himself and that was like his sanctuary. And what, Harry, what have you done?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 2: I mean, whatever it is, You're so right. Elvis was a self made man. He came from it was dirt poor, and if he actually bothered to take note of some of the memorabilia there, he would have seen just how poor the Presley family were, and how Elvis moved his own mother into that property to give her the sort of lifestyle that she never had as he was growing up.
Speaker 3: Harry, really, now we've run out of time.
Speaker 2: Next week we're going to have to get to the bottom of what is happening with Queen Mary and King Frederick of Denmark, because there's body language experts coming out saying that those two are not on good terms. Kinsy Schofield, thank you for your time. That's it from me, up Next is Newsnight. Don't forget lefties losing it nine point thirty Tomorrow Night
Speaker 15: Eight