Speaker 1: She said, it's now never I got fighting in my blood.
Speaker 2: I'm tiff. This is Roll with the Punches and we're turning life's hardest hits into wins. Nobody wants to go to court, and don't. My friends at test Art Family Lawyers know that they offer all forms of alternative dispute resolution. Their team of Melbourne family lawyers have extensive experience in all areas of family law to facto and same sex couples, custody and children, family violence and intervention orders, property settlements and financial agreements. Test Art is in your corner, so reach out to Mark and the team at www dot test Artfamilylawyers dot com dot au. Meredithcarter, Welcome to Roll with the Punches.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited for a conversation.
Speaker 2: Me too, mate, So good to have you on though. Would you like to give a little intro to myself and the listeners as to how you describe who you are and what you do?
Speaker 3: Sure? My name is Meredith Carter. I think you dressed just said that, But i am an ADHD coach, creator, writer, speaker. I've been working in this space for about six years now. I started creating ADHD content a few years after my diagnosis and after really wanting to dive into the coaching world around ADHD and have spent the last couple of years just exploring that field and learning everything I could about the ADHD bring love it.
Speaker 2: What was your experience like going through the diagnosis process and all of that six years ago.
Speaker 3: It was quite interesting At this time. I'd already kind of self identified several years before that, so I've sort of known I likely had ADHD for almost a decade now. My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD, and during that process, that's when the light bulbs really started going off for me. But because I struggled so much with executive functions like planning and prioritizing, it just didn't feel that important to go through the process. And then when I decided to do it, I had a really hard time following through. Like I would identify some providers I wanted to work with for the assessment, I would leave messages, not get phone calls back, and then six months later I would be like, Oh, I really want to get on this again. So it took a while to really complete the process. Once I did get the appointment scheduled and go through that piece, I actually had a pretty good experience. I was a little bit terrified because I'd heard so many horror stories about called women not being believed that their struggles were as intense as they were. I've always been really good at masking my struggles and covering them up and appearing like I'm functioning, just flying to the world. So I had a lot of anxiety around would these providers really listen to me? But I did. I did find a pretty informed provider and was able to get those answers.
Speaker 2: And what was your outcome? What was what were you seeking? What was the path for you?
Speaker 3: You know, at that point, I had already been studying ADHD and really diving into the information so that I could help my daughter. I think at that point I was already interested in becoming an ADHD coach. I had worked with a coach, I had been kind of implementing the strategies and tips I was learning about already in my life and in my daughter's life. But I really felt like I needed that professional opinion if I was going to be working with people with ADHD. I also know that there's so many other things that can look like ADHD, so I wanted to rule those out to make sure I was attacking the difficulties I was having from the right angles.
Speaker 2: What are some of those things?
Speaker 3: You know, it's very common for women with ADHD to be struggling also with anxiety or depression. Oftentimes symptoms of trauma can look like ADHD symptoms, and oftentimes you're dealing with more than just ADHD. It can be an intersection of a lot of those things.
Speaker 2: How do we know? How do we know what the origin is?
Speaker 3: I think that's where working with a skilled provider is really important, because they're going to be able to not just look at one or two symptoms, but look at the collection of symptoms and hear your input and understand and from a clinical perspective how it's impacting you, and hopefully, if they are an informed provider, be able to also roll out or confirm what else is going on.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's changed over the six years? Well, what has changed? I should say I.
Speaker 3: Think a lot has changed. There really was this kind of space and time around the time of the pandemic where people were spending a lot more time on their phones. People that had been working in the ADHD space already, and advocacy and coaching began sharing information online in new ways. You saw people getting on Instagram and TikTok that probably wouldn't have earlier, Like me, I'm one of those people. I would have probably built like coaching practice in a more traditional way with more of a local focus, had the pandemic not happened. But people started just all of a sudden understanding more about ADHD. They were seeing themselves in this type of content, uh, and they were seeking answers. I think during that time it was also a time where people that had kind of learned how to accommodate themselves and learned a lot of coping strategies, whether they were the best coping strategies they could have learned or not, a lot of those things fell apart during the pandemic because you just didn't have access to them. So a lot of people were struggling even more than they were before. It was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back for a lot of people. So there was more demand for information, and you know, coaches and professionals met that demand. And during that time there's also been a lot of advocacy asking providers to to sharpen their skills around ADHD. There's not a lot of ADHD education that happens when someone is getting a degree to work with mental health, so oftentimes that means a provider has to seek that out on their own. And as providers, we're seeing more and more people coming in asking about ADHD a lot more strengthen their education as well.
Speaker 2: Sweet weed, isn't it? It is?
Speaker 3: Oftentimes I tect to clients and I don't want to scare anyone off from like ever seeking a professional opinion. But if they are lucky enough to have a skilled provider in their area that's like a specialist around ADHD, oftentimes they'll just seek answers from like their general practitioner or someone that's more of a generalist, and they'll say things like I felt like I knew more about ADHD than my doctor did. And that's really frustrating to hear, because it can be really tough to get answers and seek that and have the courage to ask for that professional opinion and then realize that perhaps that provider's information is outdated or just really not very deep.
Speaker 2: If people are seeking a diagnosis or some support and they're right at the beginning stage, what do you think, what are the red flags or the green flags in terms of finding good support, good understanding. How do we know that the person we're seeing is treating us no matter what their qualifications, without a lens of their own bias.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some of the rad flags I would say it would be if your provider says something like how did you know learn about ADHD? Or what makes you think you have ADHD? And if you share like I learned about it online or something like that, and they dismiss you right away. There is a lot of information out there on the internet that's not quite accurate, So I understand then, but it really shouldn't matter to a provider why you're in their office. Their job is to help you discern if this is it, not to you know, kind of belittle you for how you came to these questions. I would also struggle with a provider that didn't ask questions about how your symptoms might show up in other areas of life, in different life stages for you. So most ADHD people that work in the field will be looking for evidence that it existed in childhood. So if their questions around that piece are how did you do in school? And if you said I did pretty good in school, and they're like, well, if you can't have ADHD, that would be a red flag because role it's you know, kind of the stereotype is the child that can't focus at school, that's falling out of their chair, that's getting in trouble all the time. It doesn't always present that way for everyone. A lot of people, it eachd have really curious brains. So if you were the kid that was interested in school, you might have done well. So well those doctors that aren't seeing nuance when they ask those questions, I think that would be a red flag as well.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting. I think maybe three years ago I had a diagnosis and same questions, you know, like thinking back to childhood and you know, when you only have your own childhood to judge, like you and you don't like, we don't have a benchmark of what's good behavior, what's distracted. Like I was just a lively kid and I looked back it was like, ah, I edit, all right, but I'm just doing a course at the moment, And Jesus, it's funny to go with a new understanding and self awareness to look at how I deal with the stuff. I the stuff are comfortable in learning and the stuff that challenges me a bit. And I'm like, it's really funny because I see the moments where I'm like, there were some there were some subjects where I would just annoyingly annihilate it and almost to the annoyance of the teachers, because they're like, you distract everybody, and you shouldn't even deserve to name in this subject you're annoying. You should be like I'm sitting I'm sat outside on a desk half of the lesson every time. And then there were there were subjects where I just because of whatever the reason why it be the teacher or the environment or the people and the distractions or just the lack of interest, I just didn't learn a thing and I would just get disruptive and sent out. So it was like, yeah, oh yeah, I'm a good student. I was like, yeah, maybe, or maybe it's complicated.
Speaker 3: Right. Oftentimes they think if you are looking at a students ripport cord and they have all ease and then like one D or F or even a C and it's consistently as across a certain subject, or if you see like really strange patterns that don't match up I think sometimes that's worth exploring because our brains with ADHD can get hyper focused on the things we want to learn about. So if we have a teacher that creates the right environment that's interesting, that brings some challenge into the learning, we likely will do. Okay. If we have a subject or a teacher or an environment that's not working, then it's going to be really really hard for our brains to engage. So I was that kid too, where all a's and then math was always a disaster. I really really struggled until I got to college actually and took a class on statistics, and in that class I did great because I could. I found it kind of interesting to see patterns and it was so much more applied to real life that I was like, Okay, I get why I'm learning this now. So sometimes it's not even just like a pattern across a subject matter. Sometimes it really has to do with how it's applied and how our brains can make sense of the information. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And what's your take on natural versus medicated management?
Speaker 3: You know, I think it's really individual. I do think medication for a lot of people can be life changing. The thing about ADG medication and I'm not adopted, so please don't ever take this as medical advice. But ADG medication, especially stimulant medication or specifically stimulant medication, is something that's like in and out of your system within a certain amount of hours, so it's not going to build in your system in the same way maybe an SSRI would. So that being said, you can try ADHD medication, and if the side effects aren't working for you or you're not getting the results you want, it's very easy to discontinue using it. So it is I think for some people, just kind of knowing, Okay, I'm going to try this, I don't have to commit to this forever or for a very long period of time can be helpful. There's also a lot of research that there's certain age ranges in children as well, where if it can help them kind of really like remoedal the pathways in their brain and calm their brain down enough that they can kind of you get some you know, increased to learning and reduce impacts later in life. So I really think it's worth investigating. That. Being said, sometimes there's side effects that don't work for people. Sometimes people have other health conditions that don't make them a good candidate. I think the statistics around eighty percent of people with ADHD find benefit from medication, but that means there's twenty percent of people that are not going to be able to have that same benefit or are not candidates. So keeping that in mind, I do think that even if you're taking medication, you still need to build different skills, and you still need strategies and support in a common to truly feel like you're thriving with ADHD.
Speaker 2: What do some of those look like?
Speaker 3: You know, there are so many things that we could talk about here, but a lot of it has to do with shaping your environment in a way that is better suited to your brain. So a lot of the productivity hacks and things that people use for neurotypical people don't always work for ADHD brains. So thinking about what motivates an ADHD and there's a few things that are commonly known to you to help motivate an ADHD, and that's urgency, challenge, creativity, What am I missing? There's a couple more interest and novelty. So thinking about those factors and thinking about, Okay, I'm going to create an environment that has those things in it. Knowing how your brain works is really really helpful. So oftentimes, like people will get an ADHD diagnosis and be like, Okay, I'm gonna try this medication, and maybe it does help them initiate tasks or feel like they can focus better, it's not going to necessarily help them build the skills to really deal with some of the other symptoms that medication doesn't address. So that's really important to have that, like understanding about how your brain is wired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and did you yourself like you do ADHD coaching mail? Is that something that you sought out and experienced yourself from the other side?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I had. I had been really trying to read a lot. I love to read, but I was struggling because a lot of the books I was finding were just talking about how to manage ADHD in children. I wasn't finding a lot that was written from like the lived experience of someone with ADHD. So I actually have found some courses through the add Coaching Academy ADKA is the academic used for that, and I had enrolled in a course more to just learn about ADHD than to get into coaching. But as soon as I took that first course. I think I really didn't even know what ADHD coaching was when I signed up for that, but I was like, oh my gosh, this is really fascinating, and I decided to work with a coach one on one during that time, and after that experience, it was pretty life changing for me. I decided to continue with the courses I already had worked in employee coaching at the time and training and development. So it was so awesome to be able to find a way to apply the skills I already had with coaching to something that felt so life changing for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, do fund You probably don't because people come to you. So I'm thinking about on D, Like, when I think of an IDHD coach, I'm like one where I'm not doing things. I don't want to be what to do, don't. I don't want someone to boss me around and tell me stuff I already know that I'm just not doing. Okay, do'll we get over that home.
Speaker 3: Yeah? A lot of us really don't like being told what to do. That is so true, And an ADHD coach isn't really there to tell you what to do. They're there to ask you powerful questions that help you identify what strategies are going to work for you best. And you know, most coaching is more inquiry based versus directive, and the difference between kind of just a general life coach and ADHD coaches. They're going to be looking at that all through like an ADHD lens. So they're going to help you understand the root of your resistance or your struggles and be sprinkling in that like kind of psycho education into the coaching process and help you develop strategies that make sense for you personally and for ADHD. So really, a trained ADHD coach isn't going to spend a whole section being our session being like, Okay, here's what you're gonna do, like they're that would be more like mentorship, that you'd be able to find those tips and tricks like they're in my book, they're they're out there, they're everywhere, and they can be super helpful. But a coach should guide you and help you find personalized strategies versus saying, hey, this is how you do it. And it works so much better than just having someone direct you and tell you what to do, because then you've bought into it and you kind of come to the best fit for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what are people when people do come to you, what are I asking for? What do they do? They have goals? Or are they just going this is I'm not coping with myself.
Speaker 3: You know. When I first started coaching, I was very much like just doing like the generalist thing. So clients were coming to me with all kinds of focuses they wanted to to really explore. Some of them were looking to make career changes. I had a lot of clients that wanted to help with all of the decision making and really like landing on a new kind of focus or career for that would make better sense for how their brain is wired. So a lot of times it's that sometimes people are focused on a specific goal. These days, I don't do a ton of one on one coaching, but when I do, it's typically solopreneurs, small business owners that are trying to build their business in a way that makes sense for their brain because they've been there before and they've had experience burnout or they're feeling really stuck and they can't really find ways to structure their business without really having some intense struggles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't have to business kids what are the differences?
Speaker 3: You know, it really is so hard to answer that question, because if you know somebody with ADHD, you know one person with ADHD, it can looks so differently across the lifespan and just from person to person. But to generalize things, oftentimes, something that's noticed is that as childhood progresses, and you know that child grows into like the teen years, college beyond, they might see a decrease in impulsivity. Impulsivity can sometimes soften a little bit. Oftentimes too, we start to get better at covering up our behaviors. We call that masking. So this happens a lot quicker. It seems like for girls than boys. Girls tend to really internalize outside messages much earlier, and we're very much socialized differently than boys in most cultures, and we have different expectations. So usually girls here loud and clearer early on the we're disruptive and that we need to fit in differently. So as we get older, we kind of develop like these coping mechanisms, whether we know we have ADHD or not. Uh So you'll see that more as kids grow into adulthood, Like it may look like a child has grown out of their ADHD. But what has happened oftentimes is that they've just gotten better at created workarounds and and masking their symptoms.
Speaker 2: When it comes to supporting as neurotypical people, what what can or how can we support or understand or be open minded? Like, well, w how do we bridge the gap between understanding and dealing with one another helping one another?
Speaker 3: I think that what you just said about being open minded is so so key. Oftentimes I talk to family members of people with ADHD and say that the number one thing they can do is to not assume inten So if they see their ADHD kid on the couch, avoiding homework and you know, avoiding sometimes even things they say they want to do, assuming they're lazy or assuming they're irresponsible, all that does is create more overwhelming shame for that child or that person. Instead of saying, okay, you told me you were going to do this, why didn't you do this? In like kind of an attacking way, say hey, I can see that maybe you're having a hard time starting this. What can I do to help? Or do you want to explore what might be going on here? So asking questions instead of making assumptions is really really helpful. I do think that learning about ADHD, if you truly are wanting to support that person in your life, the learning should be on both people. Instead of waiting for that ADHD person to like tell you everything about their condition, seek out some outside resources. It's probably going to give you a lot of insight and really help your communication with that person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and when women are idea today, women are in that perimenopause and the menopausal stage of life, do you what knowledge do you have around that?
Speaker 3: Well, I am gaining a lot of knowledge around that these days, because that is the stage of life I am in. I am so thankful I was diagnosed before I hit this stage because that piece of information has been key with how I've kind of looked at the changes I was going to make in my life during this phase. And it's just also been really helpful understanding that, you know, this is a real physical thing that's going on, and adh is making it harder. So one of the most important things to understand is that when you are in the perimenopause, as you progress through that, you are losing available estrogen in your body. And estrogen does a lot of things, but it impacts a lot of cognitive processes, So a lot of those things that estrogen kind of some of the symptoms that causes in people. All people is struggling with kind of like cognitive tempo, being able to think as quickly as you used to. People call like brain fog is another symptom that people report experiencing, trouble focusing, trouble regulating emotions. All of those things are things that people with ADHD already struggle with. So when we start having less estrogen, then those symptoms are going to feel like they're set on fire. So it's really important to understand that this is like a real thing that's happening, it's not in your imagination, and talking to your doctor about changes that might need to be made in your treatment is really helpful during that time. It's also a time, I think where we have to really start thinking about understanding our capacity, understanding that like our expectations for ourselves might need to shift during that time, and all the things that were like nice to have, like you know, working out and sleeping and all of that are going to get harder. And a lot of those like you know, I know a lot of ADHD women that did just fine or fine. I put that in quotes. They probably they appeared to be doing just fine, but a lot of them were really into exercise. I'm one of those people. I was a marathon runner until I hit perimine pause and started getting injured like constantly, and that routine and that dopamine like really I think helped me in all of those years that I was spending being you know, undiagnosed. And when that kind of coping mechanism started being less available to me because my body was just changing and not reacting to exercise in the same way and needing more recovery and I was having injuries and things like that, that was really really tough to handle. I had to figure out, what are my other coping mechanisms, what are the other ways I can process stress? Uh, So that piece can be really really tough on I think all women, that women with ADHD, especially, I am so in the.
Speaker 2: Guts of that at the moment, where I have seen in my scrolling lots of conflicting advice, as we do in every area of everything, but I guess of around that managing perimenopause symptoms hit and specifically to ADHD. Do you have a stance or an opinion or any knowledge about that yourself.
Speaker 3: Again not a doctor, but I have really deep dived into trying to understand if HRT was going to be right for me, and through kind of my evaluation and conversations with my doctor, I'm personally have chosen to take HRD and it has helped me a lot. So this is all just personal experience, but I really do think that from what everything I know as a non medical provider and from the providers that I trust, I think for many people it is a safe choice and it's worth exploring. And really, just like ADHD, finding that provider that is informed on that topic versus has kind of the stigmas and I'll do an information on it. Finding that person that's up to date with their information is super important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's such a mind field. I came across a specific account that talked a lot about that, and it was just after I'd made the decision, I'd done had my blood test, and I got Okay, I'm going to give this a go, and I'm in the very early stages now of HRT, and then that popped up and it was like, estrogen is the problem for ADYHD brains, and I was like, what, And you know, when you just go I do this a lot. I am tired of needing to make decisions about all of the information that's now science backed and opposing each other. And so I really feel like I've had a big rant on my show. I think it goes love tomorrow of me just having a riff on the experience I've had over the last couple of years with my energy crashing and needing to reassess and being tired. And then you know how long it's taken to get through all the channels and the information to get some solutions happening that should have that I feel should have happened far sooner, and only happened because I have the luxury of speaking to so many experts on the show and getting getting solutions and ideas and information from people that I do trust in order to make informed decisions. And yet, you know, I talk to my clients and people that are ten years ahead of me in that journey, and they are kind of at the stage I'm at now. Still, Well, y'all, I have been going through these ten years. I didn't, you know, maybe I should look into that, And it's so frustrating.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: It is so frustrating. I think that science is pretty much to ignored studying women for so many years that we're just now trying to crawl over ready out of that. It is really really tough. There's just not enough research out there, and I think that there's more of a focus on it now than there even was a few years ago. But just like you said, it's so tough, especially because of the way information is distributed now, like we're all learning on social media. And I think it's great. It's been fantastic for my career, and I think it has so many upsides. But the downside is that really strong, opinionated, inflammatory content gets pushed. Content that scarce you gets pushed. Content with nuance gets d you know, prioritized in the algorithm. So it is it is really tough to feel the confidence to go forward with the treatment plans sometimes because you will always find that opposing viewpoint. And I do think we have to get good at like knowing what questions to ask so that we can vet the experts that we're going to listen to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm really big on that idea of critical thinking and being your own experiment and figuring it out, but steaking to it and getting the doubt or and talking to the rock people. But it's yeah, it's it's a mod field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's so tough. I mean I work with so many clients that just agonize over the decisions to try medication or not or what supplements to take, and they's so much time spent kind of in that overwhelm and not knowing who to listen to and who to trust, and it's scary. So it is hard, I think, because there is always going to be an uphosing viewpoint, but looking at how you you know, how you can find people that you trust that seem to have the credentials to understand the science. And I always asking to you, like what's this person's agenda? Like are what are they trying to do? And if they're out there saying like estrogen's horrible for you, like what are they trying to sell you that's different than estrogen? You know what I mean? Like, ye, is there intention pure just to educate or is there a motive here? And that can help you find some answers too.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, that particular account, I won't name it, but I also couldn't because I can't remember what it's called. But I every single time I've seen something, I get frustrated because I'm like, you don't give any answer. All you do is put doubt into everything. I get really mad and I'm like, you're not actually providing. All you're providing is conflict in people's minds with no there's no solution at the bottom, there's no here is how you find out. I had. The cool thing was I had a smart DNA test years ago that I went back to and looked at some of these genetic things that related to stuff that they might have talked about. I'm very good with my terminology, thank you. But I was able to look at that and just figure out how my body processes and deals with toxins and moves and deals with estrogen specifically. So I kind of went all right that I'm really big on the place bowl effect as well. It's like, well, whether or not this is the right part for me, also, it matters a lot if I feel it's the right path for me. So I can't have I can't make a decision to go in this direction and then consume and continue to consume stuff and then then let that doubt sink in. Like I think, we have to look for our information, make a decision, decide on a period of time that we're going to implement that plan, and then just shut the noise out and go, this is my decision for now, all bits or off until I get to there and assist whether or not we feeling good or not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that. I think that when I'm hearing what you're saying in the context of ADHD, I'm like, that is all so great. And it's all things that are really hard for us with ADHD because we often have this tendency to ruminate on decisions. Rumination is kind of like what people would commonly call overthinking, and there's actually now I get into the science too much, but there are studies that show like our kind of the part of our brain the rumination originates from, is more active in people with ADHD. So we do sit on those decisions. We are seeking more information and we're thinking and thinking and thinking on them, and it's very hard for us sometimes to make the decision and move forward. We're also big time researchers that curiosity gets us. It's a really good thing sometimes, but sometimes it's not. Sometimes it is a minefield, so we sometimes overreachsearch things. So what you just described is basically what I would see to acclaim as a framework for making decisions and committing to decisions. So if we don't have any framework and any kind of like timeline or process around how we'll make big decisions like this, then we're going to stay kind of in that rumination phase for a really long time, and we're going to be exhausted, and then we're not going to be able to make any of those changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, you mentioned before when we were talking about medication, stimulant medication and how it can easily be gone. You can easily make a choice and if it's not working for you can go off it. Not like your ssrys and I understand that you're not a psychiatrist or a medical doctor, but i'd love to know if you have any knowledge or experience around the stimulants and whether or not they people experience like a bit of a crashing effect after using them, What they stimulate the nervous system. Can people use them just a couple of days and not the rest of the time, or does that I don't know. I guess I have the feeling when I have tried to use them at times that it's like stimulating my system and then leaving me feeling depleted afterwards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that can definitely, Yes, that can be a reality for sure. A lot of people will describe a crash when the medication is leaving their system. I know I've experienced that as well. Typically, if that feeling of a crash is very pronounced, there can sometimes be tweaking with your dosage or the delivery method that might help that. So just because you experience that with one medication or one dosage doesn't mean that that will be happening with any dosage. Or it might happen, but it might be like less of a profound effect. It's kind of like when you drink a ton of coffee and then all of a sudden you crash a little bit, right, So like if you drink a ton of coffee, it's going to be more pronounced, but if you drink a less coffee, you might not notice it as much. So working with your provider, if you are, you know, trying medication and you have our experiencing that, I think it's really important. They say that the average person needs to usually try three different types of medication or dosages before they find the right fit for them. So but oftentimes people that try to medication, like, they try it and they have some side effects and they like or like immediately this is not for me. So I would just encourage people that if you're open to medication and you're like getting some good results, but like you still have some things that are not working for you, then kind of work with your provider. You also asked about, like can I just take this a couple of days a week. Some people do that. Some people really will use medication as needed. Again, this is a conversation to have with your provider about what's appropriate for you. But there's been a lot of interesting discussions lately about providers that are really kind of on the cutting edge of treatment, working especially with their patients that have a cycle, like changing dosage after they ovulate and having to make adjustments for that because your brain has lest estrogen at that time, so you might need a little bit more. Maybe you don't take medication in the first half of your cycle. So there are a lot of options out there. And because and again this is this applies to stimulant medications. This doesn't apply to all things that can be used to treat ADHD, to stimulate specifically, there is wiggle room to make changes. A lot of people won't take it on the weekends if they don't want to, and that has some pros and cons to it. Like pros would be that it helps you kind of avoid that tolerance to a certain dosage. Sometimes people will find okay, like this feels like it's stopped working, but if you take some breaks, it helps with that kind of de lease that process. Some people have some sleep difficulties on medication, so like sometimes that allows them to rest a little bit. Other people are fineing that they still have to use their executive functions a lot on the weekends, and the function better by taking it seventies a week. So it really is an individual thing, and really a good prevator is going to talk to you about your individual circumstance and help you really land on some answers there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think for myself, having it correlate at this time where perimenopause is hit me like a truck made me really hesitant to want dabble it. Like I went completely. I stopped taking it at all for quite some time because I was like, I just need I just need to know what my baseline is. I need to know that this is the stimulant taxing my nervous system and causing me to feel Is this just burnout? Is you know I was in that stage? Is this burnout? Is this the stimulant medication? Is this perimenopause? So I didn't take it for quite a long time. And interestingly, just last week when I had a school day in Inverticomas, I was like, you know, I just need I'm just not just not getting the best out of myself. So I had viove ance that day a smaller and since being on HRT, it felt different, it felt like it it was not. Yeah, it was interesting to me. I was like, oh, that there's more experimenting to happen there, because that's an interesting change.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think it's good to you to have those tams where you're like, especially when you're trying other things as well, very curious about other things. So like I would to usually recommend a personally like let's try hr T and eat is she beds and all of the things all at once, because then you're not going to know what's causing the same factor, what's causing the positive change. So you know, when there's also just that that conversation around stimulants, they might be a tool that you really need to use during certain stages of your life where you have less control over your environment. I work from home most of the time. I can kind of control my schedule most of the time, so I'm able to make accommodations for myself where I go through sometimes months where I don't feel that I need medication. But then when I was writing my book and dealing with like, you know, I had a massive family event happened like right at the same time I signed my book contract, and that was the time when stimmul that medication really like was a very effective tool to get me through that. So thinking about kind of removing the shame around that, I think a lot of people like they feel like, Okay, if I don't biologically need this to live and to keep my heart beating or like manage my thyrote or something like that, then I'm using a cheat code or something like that. But I do think that you know, the way your ADHD presents is going to change and fluctuate based on the vironment you're in, and if you're in a career that has a lot of interest and structure. You might do better without medication, but then if you are not you might need it. Or if you are at home with kids all day, it's a lot. Your life is a lot different than someone that's going to an office, you know, So thinking about your environment and kind of understanding that your life is going to shift and change, and your environment's going to change, so your tools might need to change too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you love most about what you do and what you offer? What's your favorite thing?
Speaker 3: I mean, I just love people. I love that I get to work with people. I love hearing people's stories. I've always been very, very fascinated by people. I think that's why I studied psychology in college. So I'm not that person that's like, you know, if I meet new people, you know, people are making small talk. I'm that person that's like, tell me your life story, and I'm not annoyed when people are like, do the oversharing. I'm like, every more.
Speaker 2: I love this.
Speaker 3: So I love working with ADHD people too, because there's just this like special thing that happens when people don't have to apologize so much, when people can go on tangents. I find that like people can keep up with me that have ADHD. I usually talk in circles, I follow weird paths, and I love being able to like spend my day talking to other people that are you know, communicate in the same way. I also find ADHD people so interesting because we're so curious that Like, I love being able to talk to someone and they tell me, like all the info dump on the subject they've been hyper focusing on. Like, I love that I get to learn from all these people and all their stories and all their interests, and it just really makes my life feel colorful and fun.
Speaker 2: I love that, you know what you just made me think of. I've got a few friends who have ADHD and or have friends that have ADHD, and they're very well versed in it, and it's it's actually quite beautiful because I noticed recently. But you get your diagnosis and you notice a lot more about your natural behavior and environment and this stuff, and you're like, I see this now. And there was a particular time when my friend was asking me if I wanted to do something, you know, on a few days time, and he'd asked me a couple of times. I hadn't read the message because it was this massive week and I couldn't fit, and I was like someone was waiting on an answer on dinner that night, and he was waiting for an answer on that and I was feeling really chaotic, and often I would just go, I'll I'll just get to that one, and it was just beautiful to go he gets this. So I get to write back to him and go, hey, I just can't make a decision right now, and he's like, it's okay, you can just wake up Saturday and tell me if you feel like it, if you want. And I was like, oh, I don't think I've ever realized it's an option to say that to someone and black, I can't make a decision for no reason but the fact that the decisions too much for me now, and it's small things like that. It's so funny. But I was like, oh God, I love you. I love that.
Speaker 3: Finding the people that you can be your authentic ADHD self with is just amazing. Like I highly recommend when I'm talking to clients that have like really had to like heavily mask because of their environment or their job or just their family, even find find those people that are going to get it without you having to make excuses feel like you're making excuses. They're not really excuses because they're probably real things that are happening. But finding the people that you don't have to over explain with, you know, that are still going to look at you, but like, but huh, you know, like there I remember conversations i'd had before I knew I had ADHD where people would be like, whoa, why are you like this? I mean, like not always in such a like Kurt tone way, but they're like, I don't understand you, and I know those people that understand you, and it's amazing, And like you said, just being able to tell him the real reason versus trying to come up with the socially like kind of neurotypically acceptable reason is so nice. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's that logic in your mind that goes it's not hard to make a decision, just say yes, you've got nothing on. I'm like yeah, but then it feels like a task, not a fun thing, and and then I feel stressed about it, and then I'm resenting you for it. It's like, so it's the whole thing. Yeah, Meredith, You're great. I'm going to have your links to your website meredithcater dot com in the show notes. Where else can people find you and follow you online? And is there anything else you'd like to promote?
Speaker 3: Sure? I will love for people that are curious about ADHD, whether you're supporting a loved run or you have ADHD yourself. I have a book called it All Makes Sense Now embrace your ADHD brain to live a creative and colorful life. And that's a a liable at all the major book retailers and some of the tiny independent ones, so you can find that just about anywhere. And then I create on Instagram quite regularly, and I'm also writing on substack and my Instagram is Hummingbird Underscore ADHD and my substack is it All makes Sense? ADHD insights amazing.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much, Thanks everyone, Thank you.
Speaker 1: She said, it's now never I got fighting in my blood. Got it