Speaker 1: Approche Production. Welcome to Secrets of the Underworld. I am Neil the Muscle comments.
Speaker 2: In this episode, I speak with one of the biggest drummers in Australia, Jackie Barnes.
Speaker 3: I get recognized just as much for the Wiggles and Now as I do working with Dad and other artists. They didn't put in any of the rock bands. Rose to do any of those bands I'd worked with. One of the stage riggers had the stairs up to my drum kit together prop and they collapsed when I walked up the stage. I was up there, you know, playing for thousands of people, and I've got no bas drum, no spare pedal. So I ended up doing the gy.
Speaker 1: So before we get into all the nitty gritty, let's get into.
Speaker 2: You about growing up, schooling, growing up in the family and you.
Speaker 1: Know what area and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was I was born in Sydney and grew up in the Southern Highlands about an hour and a half south of Sydney towards Canberra, so in a town called Mittigong. So I spent the first eight years of my life living there, but also kind of living on the road. They had I think I was two weeks old when I first flew overseas to meet him for the first time. He was on tour and I think it was in Chicago at the time. When I first met him, I was two weeks old. My mom flew me in to join his tour and I slept in a road case for the first few months of my life on the road. And he was doing a tour with zz Top, and funny enough, Pat Stewart, who was the drummer at that time in Dad's band, sent me a photo a few weeks ago from that from that tour, and I'm probably about two or three weeks old sitting on Mum's lap backstage somewhere in Illinois.
Speaker 1: What was it like going around on tour? Was the schooling for you?
Speaker 3: I was once it got to kind of schooling. We would be home for the school terms, and then in holidays we'd travel on the road, and Mum and Dad had a couple of nannies that would travel on the road when we were on tour, and a couple of times I do remember as a kid flying solo and that was exciting as well, because the airlines would really look after you and do that kind of unaccompanied minor travel. But then once it came to actual schooling, then we'd stay in you know, I went to boarding school for most of high school, but we moved around, so I changed schools a lot. So when I was eight years old, we moved to the south of France for three years.
Speaker 1: Did they affect you with friends kind of think and growing up with friends as a.
Speaker 3: Kid, I think, yeah, definitely, Like I'm one of those kind of people that I have my kind of core group of friends that are my really close friends, but they might not see me for anywhere from weeks to years, Like sometimes it can be a few years and I'll just be on the road constantly, and then the kind of friends that stay in my life are the ones that they can accept that, Yeah, because I've always just been one of those guys that's always on the move.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: So I've reconnected with friends from my childhood and some of them have become really good friends. Yeah, but it was kind of pretty random as a kid because we would I would establish a group of friends and then we'd move and so I kind of always was I felt like a bit of a lone wolf in that in that sense, like I didn't have a group of friends. I just would kind of float amongst all the different groups of people.
Speaker 2: And yeah, what age were you when you realized how bigy that was.
Speaker 3: I guess it would have to be pretty early, because you know, we were in stadiums with him, watching shows, and you know, being side stage, even going on stage as photos of me as a little kid with headphones on being put on dad's shoulders and you know, so I guess it would have to be early. But at the same time, to me, it was normal. So I grew up with that as a completely normal thing, and having you know, camera crews following us and people taking photos of us everywhere, and it was just kind of like that was to me, what normal.
Speaker 1: Is You performed at four years old? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what was that?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Amazing? I mean I think, look, I wouldn't say it was a very good performer at that point. Definitely. I definitely had the energy and the kind of charisma. But you know, at the time when we were in the Tinler's, you know, we thought we were the best thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you always wanted to like as a kid, is that what you want? You want to follow in your dad's footsteps? Performing or lead your own path.
Speaker 3: I never really wanted to be a singer, so to speak. I was always wanted to be a drummer because I would watch Dad's drummers as a kid and just think that looks like the most fun thing on earth. And then I've always been obsessed with sports, so I wanted to play sports. Oh wow, sports, and I did for a while. I was a football fan, a die hard football fan, real football and you know, so I grew up playing soccer. I was a goalkeeper. I did go when I was about sixteen. I went over to Scotland and did six months with Dundee Football Club in the youth system there, and then I was also playing first grade Shire cricket in Sydney at the same time when I was coming back. But then, look, I would have loved to have been either a cricketer or a footballer. But at the same time, mid season I would get off as for gigs and go on to the coaches and the management would be kind of like, well, you need to kind of pick pick one. And then I kind of quickly realized that you know.
Speaker 1: What was putting the money in your pocket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was much more fun. You know, I could party more and at the time, you know, and yeah, I just I was definitely better at drums than I was a footballer or a cricketer, even though you know, in my in my heart, I wanted to be a sportsman. And look, it's funny. Over the years, I've gotten to know a bunch of different sports people and they've always come to shows and gone, I want to do what you do. And I've gone and watched them playing gome and I want to do it.
Speaker 1: You do.
Speaker 3: The grass is always greeny, you know. And at the same time, you know, being thirty eight years old, now, i'd be coming to the end or at the end of a career in sports if I'd gone down that path. So whereas now I feel like my career in drums is it's just it's just a it's a freight train that keeps going, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell me, tell me about tin lids.
Speaker 3: The tin lids. So it was kind of like I never knew how it formed or anything. I think it was just one of those things that you know, because we were surrounded by music, and my dad had music people around all the time, and he had the studio at home in the Southern Highlands where he recorded big records and other people recorded records. We just kind of fell into it was kind of like a thing to do when Dad was off tour. We could do it with him, and it's been a lot of fun though. It was great fun. You know. We used to go around all the like all the shopping malls, the west Fields and stuff, and do gigs in the in like the fore courts and stuff, and in the attriums and stuff like that. And I remember just always being a performer. And the things I hated were the like the clothes that my mum would dress this thing. I found them super uncomfortable away. I still don't wear jeans to this day because I found them incredibly uncomfortable as a kid. And then also I remember we had to do choreography, and I remember like just hating doing choreography. We've never been good dancers in our family.
Speaker 1: When you when you finished high school, you became taught what your dad? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I finished school and I look I auditioned a few times through his band unsuccessfully, and looking back, I definitely wasn't ready.
Speaker 1: So you're auditioned. Yeah, So who said no?
Speaker 3: Dad?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah? He said, look, you're nowhere near ready. You need to go out and you know, do some other tours with other artists and get some work under your belt. And it's not going to come easy, you know, because his band, he's always seen that as the you know, the the best band in the country, one of the best bands in the world. It's got to be like perfection, just absolute perfection, and regardless of whether your family or not, you have to pull your weight and you have to be, you know, at the top of your game all the time.
Speaker 1: How did I feel when you used to reject you from it?
Speaker 3: I always kind of took it as like, you know, I'm just going to work hard. Yeah, And I guess I got that work ethic from him, you know. And at that point I had I'd started getting up and playing one song in his set from when I was about ten years old, and it was always the same song as a song called hard to Handle Otis Redding's song, and we did kind of like the Black Crows version, and I would get up and play that one song whenever I was on school holidays or at the show, and then I would kind of start asking more, can I play two songs you know, I was always being his ear. I would ask him questions like, you know, if your drummer was to fall down the stairs and break his legs, would you let me play? And so I always wanted to be there, and so I guess when the opportunity came to audition the first couple of times, I wasn't as prepared as I should have been, and that was one of the lessons I learned from the rejection. And then I went and did the football thing in Scotland and playing cricket in you know, coming back playing cricket, and then the opportunity came to join the band as the key board player before drums. So basically there were some issues with a keyboard player at the time, and I was basically just you know, at home on the piano and I just kind of like, as Dad was coming in, I just start playing his songs showing that I knew the song forms. It's like, ah, do you want to come and fill in for some gigs? And so I did that for like a couple of months. And look, I was classically trained as a piano player, and I'm definitely a competent pianist, but as a kind of like rock keyboard player. I don't have those kinds of chops, and you know, I didn't have the you know, improvisation and all that sort of stuff, but I played the parts, you know, so I did a decent job there. And then I started sneaking percussion into the setups. I'd have the keyboard and like congas and tambourines and stuff, and I just start like doing whatever I could a cow bell. And then the drummer at the time some issues came up with him, and then Dad said, well, I'm going to audition drummers again. And then I said, this time, I'm going to get it. And I made sure that I was really over prepared that time, and that was just enough. Like Dad said, look, I'm going to give you a shot.
Speaker 1: But you know, how many people with the audition for that, I don't know, Like.
Speaker 3: I remember seeing like at least five or six guys come through the studio. But then you know, in the years since, you know, because I've been his drummer now over twenty years, and in the years since, I've bumped into guys who've gone, oh yeah, we got approached about auditioning around then, and you know, I prepared stuff, but they've never never got the final call, so maybe there was. Yeah, I'm guessing all the different members and management and all the record labels had kind of put forward their names. And then I think finally I impressed that enough where he gave me a shot and said, look, it's not yours yet, but you've got to earn it, but I'm going to give you a chance to do this next kind of you know, six months, and I just made sure that no.
Speaker 1: Mother fucker came around.
Speaker 3: Exactly. And the thing is, the first this gig was fucking horrendous for me. It was horrible. I remember at that point. You know, this is before I had all my endorsements with gear and like, even before I was really technical in terms of maintenance of gear and stuff. So I went out with Tony Brock, who was dad's drummer when I was growing up a kid that he left for me, which was an old eighties tamer, a beautiful collectible kit, and I remember like getting that out of storage and it was all dusty and bits were falling apart, and I was like, I had to work and I didn't really I hadn't learned how to tune drums at that point, And do you actually.
Speaker 1: Have to tune drums? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I did.
Speaker 3: Ye got the top and bottom skins, and you've got to tune them to each other and specific notes and tones and what kind of sound you want to go for. It's a really big process, and it's something that I've spent the last you know, twenty five years developing skills in that, much like you would in any anything, you know, like you train a certain way to kip and all that sort of stuff, you know. So I honed that craft over the next couple of years. But the first gig, I remember the bass drum pedal that hits the bast drum, it just fell apart. It was an old vintage one that hadn't been maintained. The chain snapped, the footboard kind of the pins came out, and it just collapsed in the first song. So I was up there, you know, playing for thousands of people, and I've got no bass drum, no spare pedal. So I ended up doing the gig hitting the floor tom as a bass drum, and it was just like I just felt absolutely I'm like I'm gonna last one gig. And my dad came up after the show. He said, I know what happened. I saw that and I heard it. He said, don't worry, You're not You're not out, but make sure it never fucking happened again. He said, anytime stuff like this happens, learn learn a lesson, be better, and never let it happen again. So Ever, since that first gig, I've always had too some times even three backups for everything, space, snare, drums, space symbols. It's like, you know, I even when I'm traveling overseas, I travel with lots of spare parts because little things like rental kits and stuff, they're never maintained properly. So yeah, there's always little things that you need to replace. So I always travel with everything since that first gig.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was going to be my next question. Have you ever fed anything ever fucked up?
Speaker 3: Well that that's definitely the most that The kind of biggest lesson I learnt was that first gig. But you know, I've had stuff where like I remember I was on tour with a group called the ten Tennas in Europe and one of the stage riggers hadn't put the stairs up to my drum kit together properly, and they collapsed when I walked up onto stage and I ended up doing the ligaments in my ankle. It was really bad. So I had like the first kind of a few weeks of that tour with my right foot in a bucket of ice.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And I had double pedals at that point, so I was playing all the lead pedal with my left foot because fuck. Well that recovered. So, you know, shit stuff that people don't see from the front, but you know, wow, I was getting like physio needling, all that sort of stuff done in between broken that ankle a few times before, so it was like it was like horrible and this was like at the start of a four month tour. Wow. But you know, at the same time, when all that sort of stuff happens, you got to make sure that people in front don't notice notice and it happens.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Who's your Who's your favorite artist?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would like to when you're growing up as an idol or something like that, besides your dad.
Speaker 3: Well dad was obviously, as always and still is my hero and wherever learned the most. But Bruce Springsteen's definitely a big favorite of mine. And you know, I've been fortunate enough to see him, play many times, open for him with Dad, meet him several times, and get to know a lot of the band as well.
Speaker 1: Is there a band that you'd love to play with.
Speaker 3: That that band? That's definitely one of them. Look, so many bands, I like, a really big variety of music, and there's so many artists that I've gotten to know over the years that you know, Look, I'm pretty fortunate that I've played with a lot of them. Yeah, so I'm very lucky in that regard. But yeah, Bruce would be a dream gig.
Speaker 1: See I was waiting for you to say the Wiggles. I was actually waiting for you to say the Wiggles. I seen that and I went, oh, fucking hell.
Speaker 3: I get recognized just as much for the Wiggles now as I do working with Dad and other artists. So it was great. You know, like we've always come across those guys over the years and gotten to know them, and I think the last meeting with those guys before I actually started working with them was in Darwin and it was a day off and we were just walking. I was walking with Dad and Mum trying to find somewhere to eat, and bumped into a few of those guys Anthony and stuff, and and we just kind of like we'd always bumped into each other on the road. But then we're like, let's catch up in Sydney and actually do something. And at that point Dad was it was in the process of writing a children's book. It was a kind of a character based around my nephew, and so my dad was talking to them about that and they said, oh, won't you come into wiggles HQ. Will you know, animate it, write some music for it, make an album.
Speaker 1: But they didn't give you a color T shirt to wear.
Speaker 3: Nah. No, I think Dad did like a he did a like a charity gig with them. He got up as a special guest years ago and I think he had a black skivvy. So but so we went up to wiggles HQ and started kind of working on the music from that album and from that children's book, which ended up it was called the GNU and ended up winning an Area for Best Children's Album. And you know, my kids have grown up, you know, with the Wiggles and with those books and those albums and those songs, and then that kind of like working with them on that project. Then they're like, oh, we really like you do you want to work on some other stuff with us? And I ended up I think I did. Like I remember one of the days, I must have recorded about fifty five sixty songs. It's like just like you know, all little kind of like you know, short short pieces, but and they work you hard, but they do good work. I still know all those guys, they're all good friends. And yeah, it was a wonderful time. And then Anthony at the time, he approached me and said, oh, look, we're doing a barbershop quartet for the next series. And I don't want to be in it. He's like, so I want you to be me in that, and I'm like what. And so the next thing I knew I was I was on camera. I remember like six am call makeup. I'm like, oh, as a rock drummer, fuck that. I'd played in New Car the night before and had no sleep and got there at six am, got done up and like put in a suit that was way too big and they just like pin stuff to make it look okay and filmed until like ten pm that night, and the whole season wow, in one day. And and then you know, so then that next series, every every episode they'd go to this barbershop quartet and I'm in there, and that's what I get recognized for. If I'm walking around a Westfield, mum and their kids will come up and like you, you're the barbershop quartet guy. And back to Chin Lid's a funny, funny story about that. I recorded a record with the Dead Daisies, which is like a hard rock supergroup, and I remember when we recorded the record, they did all the press releases for all the magazines in Europe and around the world. And these magazines what they do is they google you and they find out who you've worked with, and so like when they did the press release for this album. This is like a hard rock heavy like almost metal, it's like and it had like you know, John Krabi, Motley Crue, Marca Mendoza, Thin Lizzie Richard Fordes, Guns N' Roses, Jackie Barnes, the Tin Lids. They thought that was the most metal sounding band that I'd worked with, and they didn't they didn't look into the band. They didn't put any of the they didn't put any of the rock bands, Rose Tattoo, any of those bands I'd worked with. They put Tin Lids. So there's all these heavy metal magazines around Europe that had me in there.
Speaker 2: The tin Lids, I was actually good because you brought up the Tentators.
Speaker 1: What was that? Like? A bit different?
Speaker 3: Very and look it was that came at a point where I just graduated from college in Boston, which I went to Berkeley College of Music over there, lived there for four years, loved it, and I was back there in Boston and I got a call from a friend of mine who works a drummer and he worked previously worked in cruise with us as a stage tech, and he was like, Oh, there's this group, the Ten Tenners that are looking for a drummer. Do you mind if I give them your name. I'm like, I'd heard of them, but never really kind of like it wasn't on my radar because of the world I was in. And I was like, yeah, cool, absolutely, I'm always up for challenges, and you know, that's much more of a classical pop crossover thing and a lot of chart reading, which I was doing at the times. I was like, it's going to be a good challenge working with an orchestra. And then literally like I think it was like five or six hours later, I got a like I was on Skype with the manager of the group and he just like laid out the next year of work. I was like, it's pretty much just a year solid, and I was like, cool, if you want me to do it, let's do it. And I literally it went from getting a message from my mate to like twelve hours later having the next year of gigs locked in with. Yeah, and that took me to that took me to all around Europe. I'd done small europe European tours at that point with Dad, like you know, two three week runs, but we did like a we were out on the road pretty solid for three to six months. Yeah, So it was pretty It was pretty great, you know, being on tour bus getting you know, it was a really intense schedule because we had like, you know, five six shows a week at least, and big travel days. We bounced between Europe and the US as well. But it was great and I made great friends on that. It was a great challenge. Yeah, it was one. It was a Yeah. I still keep in touch with a lot of those guys. Yeah, it was a great project. They're still doing great shows, they're still doing big tours and you know, the door is always open.
Speaker 2: What's the most what's the most memorable thing that you've done that's that's always stuck in your mind and you're really proud of it.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a hard one because I've I've been pretty lucky to do a lot well this year. I mean I played a festival in about three hours outside of Rio de Janeiro in Rio Disastrous in Brazil with the Lucky Dolly group, and you know, that was our first show in South America with that group, and we went there kind of not knowing what to expect and kind of is there even a scene for us there? And we ended up playing for like thirty thousand people on a main stage and just the fandom there and just the people were just so up for it and they just you know, we were just getting stopped constantly for photos and people just that loved the show. Had never heard of us, but they just love music and the love group of music. And so that was a big highlight because it was kind of like, you know, going to a new region that we'd never played in, to a place that we've always wanted to play and being received like that. You know, So that's just as that's just as good as you know, going to play a big festival for one hundred thousand people or more.
Speaker 1: What kind of music do you like? What is it?
Speaker 3: What are you into? Everything I look up. My taste in music is super diverse because you know, I grew up listening to all different stuff, where it'd be hard rock, pop, classical music, you know, as a classically trained piano player, So it depends on the mood. But I think for the most part, anything that's got really good pocket, good groove. You know, I love funk music, especially like sixties seventies funk and rock, but you know, I like it all. There's like, yeah, I wouldn't say one particular style, but obviously rockers in the DNA, you know, bands like Deep Purple that I grew up with those kind of hard rock bands and Springsteen. But yeah, I I listened to different playlists every day. Sometimes I'll get in my car and you know, there's lots of traffic output on, like depending on the mood, output on like rackman of piano concertos and like get that kind of you. And then sometimes it'll be like, you know, prog prog medal, prog rock. It just depends and you know, so my my, yeah, my, yeah, my kids probably hear so many different styles of music when I'm playing music at home, and which is good. You know. My dad played me a big variety of music. That's why I have a diverse taste. You know, a lot of people would think Jimmy Barnes, being who he is, would listen to, you know, hard rock. But you know, he introduced me to funk music. He introduced me to soul, He introduced me to some classical stuff and like even jazz stuff.
Speaker 2: What's funny though, because when I came over to Australia in ninety two, I'd never heard of Jimmy Barns. I never heard of them because it doesn't get played in the UK, you know what I mean. It it's very it's not on the radio.
Speaker 3: It's quite like a cult following. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So when I came over it and you're just hearing it.
Speaker 2: And I came to Wollongong when I first came in here, so it was constantly played all the time in Wollongong, w kind of music, and then he just it gets clingy.
Speaker 1: It's just like whoa, you know what I mean. And then I found out he's got Scottish heritage.
Speaker 2: I'm going, well, how come he's never been played in fucking England when I've been there?
Speaker 1: But it was just it does it? Actually?
Speaker 2: It actually caught on with me his music and I've never that's twenty the way I've never been in that kind of music.
Speaker 1: Then it catches onto you.
Speaker 3: Because where do you come from. I'm from Liverpool, Liverpool, and we've played Liverpool and it's it's a very it's similar to like those northern towns in the UK, Glasgow, Newcastle, Liverpool. Man, they're all kind of like it's that, you know, it's that kind of working class thing that dad grew up with and that kind of desperation and that comes out in his in his in his music and in his voice. And you know who he is. And he was so young when he came here. He was five years old. But you know, he's still got he's still got an accent. He's still got quite a strong accent.
Speaker 1: Probably stronger than mine. Tell me about.
Speaker 2: When your dad went into surgery and then a couple of months later he went in for immediate surgery again, Like how did that go? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: When you went in for the heart surgery and then the surgery.
Speaker 3: So there's been a couple of you know this, this is going back years now, so before what happened last year, over the last two years. It was two thousand and seven when he had his first open heart surgery, and I really remember it vividly because I just moved to Boston and I was in my first semester at Berkeley and I was in class on my computer and I knew that Dad was going in for surgery but hadn't heard from him. And I opened up my computer in class and like a news pop up, I'm saying Aussie rock Ledge and dyes of heart failure in Sydney hospital. And I just like kind of got chills and I couldn't open the article. But I closed my computer and left class, and I called my mum, like what happened to Dad? And she's like, oh, he's right here. Do you want to say a loader. I'm like, I just read an article that he died, and I was like, who died? And she was like, oh, Billy Thorpe died and he had had he'd had a heart attack and they passed each other in the in the cardiac Unitow in Saint Vincent's and and so it was obviously a relief that Dad hadn't passed, but also, you know, I was friends with Billy, we'd work together and he was a close friend of Dad's and an icon, and so he was kind of like bittersweet. But then yeah, he had that surgery that kind of you know, did the job for years and probably would have still it was still working until he got staff infection last year. So he had had a hip replacement two years ago. And then towards the end of last year, I remember I finished up a tour with him, and I had a sub coming in for a couple of shows because I was going to Europe with the Lucky Dolly group. I was in Europe, and I remember talking to my drum tech about the shows because he was filling in for the for my sub, and he said, oh, yeah, your dad was like really sick on these two shows. And I was like, oh, he goes. I've never seen him look that kind of like white and pale. And he'd done he'd done like a regional festival, he had the Mushroom fiftieth anniversary gig, and then he was meant to get on Rock the Boat, a cruise to do shows on there as a headliner, and I spoke to my sister and my mum after the Mushroom fiftieth show and they were like, oh, he's like really, really sick. And I was like, should he even get on this cruise? And so then we were all kind of like i'ming and a ring and kind of you know, and ultimately we said no, he shouldn't get on it because he's obviously really sick. And thankfully he didn't because he went to hospital and he had pneumonia. He was septic, so he had sept to seemia and they were finding traces of staff infection. So if he'd gotten on that cruise, he would have died. And the problem with that is that he's got a really crazy threshold for pain, and so when by the time he complains to you, it's usually it's something like fucking sept to seemia. Yeah, He's like, I've got a little bit of a thing going on, and he's fucking dying. So then they got on top of the sept to see he got on top of the pneumonia, which is great, but then this staff infection kept. They were trying to find where it had kind of gone to. They initially found it in his spine and so had back surgery, and then later found it in his heart, so he had to have emergency heart surgery, which was while I was flying back from Europe. So i'd finished the tour and I was on the plane from London to Singapore while he was doing the open heart surgery and had no WiFi on the plane, so I was just fucking stressed. Got to Singapore, my mum called me and said he's okay. I'm like, thank fuck. Got back to Australia. I literally dropped my bags and went straight to the hospital and saw him and he was like trying to walk around the ward and I was like, just lie down and rest. Look, we're relentless in this family, like we don't like to be still. But thankfully it was okay, and then he started working again a few months later and all was well. We were touring in the middle of the year, and then I went to the US with the Locky Dolly group in June July and was meant to come back and go straight onto tour with him. Rejoined the tour. I'd had to sub for a couple of shows, and then right towards the end of the US tour with Lockie, Dad called me and said, look, they've found some more staff infection. We're gonna have to investigate, so we're probably gonna have to postpone these shows. Turned out that it had gone into the hip that he'd had replaced, so they took that hip up and he's now got a temporary hip in at the moment while he finishes Cold Chisel. Wow, he has to get a new hip early in the year ship. Yeah, So it's been a it's been a rough couple of years for him, but but fuck, he's tough watching him on this Cold Chisel too, because I've been because I don't drum with Cold Chisel, Charlie Drayton does. So I've been on the road with him as his tour manager and kind of his guy, you know, driving him, making sure everything's looked after for him, and just watching him, you know, go through that process, even in the amount of pain he's in, is pretty incredible and inspiring, you know. But yeah, it's he's man. It's just like I can't wait for him to get that new hip because he must the pain must be just yeah, because he's complaining about the pain, and obviously that means it's pretty fucking severe.
Speaker 1: Must be on some pain killers for that, jeez.
Speaker 3: And I think he's just Panele it's really as well. But yeah, I remember after his heart surgery, he just like went back, I'll just take Panda. I'm like, I didn't even think Pandel did anything.
Speaker 1: Any of regrants.
Speaker 3: I'm not like that, you know, it's and Dad's not like that. It's obviously there's things that we probably would change if we could. But at the same time, and Dad's always told me this is that you know, everything you do leads to where you are, and if you're happy with where you are and where you're going, then why change. So I'm proud of the gigs that I've done, the people I've worked with, the relationships I've made. I'm proud that, you know, in all the years I've been working in this industry, you know, I haven't really burnt any bridges. You know, a lot of the bands that I've worked with, even though I don't work with them anymore, I'm pretty sure for the most part, i'd be welcome back if the opportunity arise. Yeah, No, I'm.
Speaker 2: Describe you in two words, onward, relentless.
Speaker 1: And what what's what the future hole for you?
Speaker 3: Then, well, after years of not having one, I've just gotten a US visa, So getting more involved working over there with bands over there, you know, which is kind of what I was trying to do ten fifteen years ago when I went to when I'd finished college. You know, had I not started working with the ten Tennas, I probably would have stayed in the US and moved there. So I've kind of always got had this kind of itch to scratch in terms of like breaking into the market over there with bands, you know, because obviously I've built a good reputation here and Europe and and amongst musicians in the States as well. Kind of similar to Dad. You know, he's obviously he's massive here, but he's got these kind of like, yeah, the musicians all know him over there. So yeah, I kind of want to break into those markets a bit more and tour with bands from over there, and you know, that's a thing that I've got to kind of find the balance between family life and doing that, and but yeah, that would be the biggest goal, would be to break into that US market a bit more and then you know, I've been writing a solo record singing, so I've done I've had some projects over the last ten to fifteen years that have been like kind of duo things and you know, just slowly getting myself out there because I do sing, but never really saw myself as a front man. But now I've kind of gotten to that point where I'm like, I'm ready to step out from behind the kit and do something as well. So there's that goal of putting out my own record, which I've mostly written. I just need to record it, kind of put it out the right way, which is a really daunting prospect. And it's a very it's an intense family to be a singer in, so you know, there's a lot of expectation, and you know, I definitely don't have his voice. I've got a very different voice. But yes, I've just been writing a lot. I want to put out some more of my own music and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go from here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all about just you know, keep working with the people I've been working with, and as new opportunities arise, take them too good. As long as I'm always busy, always making music, I'll be happy. That's cool.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks brother, for coming.
Speaker 3: On, Thanks for having me I, thank to be honest. Pleasure Bro, Absolutely pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thanks Bro,