Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctyesmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check.
Speaker 2: Out the show notes for more.
Speaker 1: This is healthy Heir with Amelia Phillips and welcome to one of my mini motivation episodes.
Speaker 2: These are shorter, targeted episodes.
Speaker 1: Where we tackle one specific question or challenge head on. So today we are getting very personal and a very unique perspective on how a challenging childhood shapes you now. I wonder if you would say that your childhood was challenging. I've often referred to it as a big tea or a little tea trauma. So big ta trauma refers to major, often life threatening or deeply distressing events, you know, abuse, serious accidents, or loss, and they can really overwhelm the nervous system, can leave lasting emotional and physical imprints. But then we also have this concept of little tea trauma, which are more subtle but cumulative, ongoing stresses like criticism, feeling unseen, chronic pressure, or maybe relationship tension in the household that over time can really disregulate the body and shape how we feel, how we think, how we respond. Which to this contrast between big ten little tea trauma, because over the years, when I've talked to experts about childhood trauma, I've kind of removed myself and thought, well, I didn't have any trauma in my childhood, But of course I didn't. And when someone explained it to me, is that little tea trauma that still really matters? That really resonated with me? And this idea that you know, both big tea and little tea. Trauma can really shape us because the body doesn't just react to what happened, but it also reacts to how safe or unsafe we felt growing up. So maybe you're sitting here, maybe that doesn't resonate with you, but maybe you are a parent and you know that your child is going through something challenging and you are worried, sick about the long lasting impacts. Well, if that's the case, I really want today's episode to be a message of hope, because you know, whilst there's no doubt that these challenges shape us in a profound way, sometimes that profoundness can actually really positive thing. And that's why I wanted to speak to Lane Beachley about this. I wanted to get that unique perspective from someone who has had a very challenging childhood yet went on to do absolutely extraordinary things. You know Lane Beachley, she's a seven times World surfing champion. She's the only surfer male or female to win six consecutive world titles, and she's a woman whose impact now reaches far beyond the surf. Her journey from an adopted baby to a global icon certainly was not a smooth ride. It was forged through grit, guts and a deep commitment to personal growth. Lane's lived experience with mental health challenges, with injury, with personal loss has really become the heartbeat of her message, and I love this message. Choice, not chance, determines our destiny. Isn't that great? Choice, not chance determines our destiny? So here is what Lane had to say about how a challenging childhood shapes you. Lane, you were adopted as a baby, and very sadly.
Speaker 2: You lost your adoptive.
Speaker 1: Mother to a brain hemorrhage when you were around.
Speaker 2: Seven years old. Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 2: Gosh, I have.
Speaker 1: A seven year old and I just cannot imagine the impact that my loss would have on her. Actually gets me quite emotional when I think about it. Do you mind sharing with us how that loss and then being raised.
Speaker 2: By your adoptive father has shaped you.
Speaker 3: I was very fortunate to grow up at a time where we had a lot of freedom to play in Rome, so there was no mobile phones. We had to come home when the street lights came on, and essentially, once the sun had risen, you're either at school or you're outside playing and no one can contact you or find you until someone really needs to. So I had that freedom and that individualization, that connection with friends, and that has shaped me a lot. Because losing my mother, of course was deeply distressing and impactful.
Speaker 4: I also wasn't allowed to go.
Speaker 3: To the funeral, so I never really got to have closure. I think, well, they felt that I was too young, so that robbed me of the opportunity to process whatever it meant for me at that time, which then resulted in a lot of nightmares and emotional.
Speaker 4: Breakdowns as a young kid.
Speaker 3: But growing up with my older brother and my dad, I feel really set me up for what became the most one of the most male dominated sporting careers.
Speaker 4: You could write with.
Speaker 1: Your brother was your brother, your biological brothers or no? So he was your adoptive parents' biological son, yes, okay, all right? And how much older than you is he?
Speaker 2: Life? Five five years? Okay?
Speaker 1: So you had this kind of as a seven year old, you had this teenager or brother in kind of you know, teen puberty years, and then it was the two of them and you and you didn't have that kind of female nurturing role model in that spat. Yeah, okay, so very male dominated and what did that bring out in.
Speaker 3: You competition, intensity, focus, drive as a real tomboy. I guess it set me up really for my professional surfing career essentially, and it helped me just focus my attention on really what I wanted to get out of life, because growing up without a mother, I really didn't really understand what it was going to take from me. I didn't really I didn't know any different. So I then lost. Then my dad remarried when I was twenty four, or he started dating his secretary, which is so classic, isn't That they.
Speaker 4: Had another daughter.
Speaker 3: So my dad had my younger sister, Catherine, when I was eighteen, and then Christina, who he remarried, died when I was thirty from breast cancer. And then I met my biological mother when I was about twenty seven, and then she died in twenty seventeen in her early sixties from my veryan cancer.
Speaker 4: So I essentially I quate motherhood with loss.
Speaker 3: And it's always until I was writing my books and processing these emotions, I didn't understand why I was so fearful to connect with women. And it was all bit because of that feeling of losing someone if I opened my heart up to them, so majority of them, the nurturing people in my life have actually been men. You know, my husband is a very grounded, nurturing soul. My ex boyfriend Ken was a very nurturing soul. I've never really trusted in allowing myself to be open to nurturing by women, and I'm just starting to understand that. You know, I'm still starting to open myself.
Speaker 2: Up to did you miss your mum?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Terribly?
Speaker 1: Absolutely in what context? And I know it seems that the world's most obvious question. I'm trying to feel like as a seven to thirteen year old in those years posts you know she's in your life and then she's not not. Could you talk to you dal like, could you have a teary moment, say oh Dad, I'm really missing mum today and he gives you a big hug and let's look at the photo album? Or or is it something you had to kind of keep close and not tell anyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my dad grew up in an emotional, tough love environment, so he doesn't really have the capacity to hold the space for those kind of conversations. And I feel that the first word that came to mind when you asked me around the context of how I missed it. With safety is having that safe space to retreat to, and so essentially the ocean became that place for me.
Speaker 4: It's really it's yeah, it's mother ocean for me. That's where I feel.
Speaker 3: It's for me, it's immersing myself back in the womb. It's where I feel safe and held and nurtured and supported and free. So when after losing mam as a seven year old, I know I retreated to the ocean, and now to this day, you know, if something traumatic or painful occurs, the first thing I want to do is under the ocean and just be held there.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doctor Asmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. Yeah, I can totally understand that. Like, it just breaks my heart to think that this little girl didn't you know, have someone to scoop her up and make her feel better. Okay, yeah, I've obviously done the work, my friend, and I think this is the real exploration in this conversation is how a challenging childhood shapes you.
Speaker 2: Because you've spoken to our.
Speaker 1: Other conversation together around choice, and you know, for a lot of people, they you know, have a choice in their circumstances of a challenging childhood. But you know your point around choice, not chance, determines our destiny.
Speaker 2: And so I guess I want to ask you.
Speaker 1: You know you have been on such a lifelong quest of self improvement, commitment to growth. Of all these lessons you've learned, which learnings do you feel like has made the biggest impact on you and as you say, you know I've turned out okay.
Speaker 2: Well, some of those lessons.
Speaker 3: I'm still learning. I'm still growing. I mean, I've got a book full of them behind me. But well, I'd say the greatest one is about self love. I was, you know, I grew up at a time where I didn't trust in love, and that goes all the way back to being told well, well, identifying as an adoptee. You know, there's a common theme that runs through adoptees, and that's a fear of rejection. And how that plays out in my life is I either behave in a way that gives people reason to reject me, or I reject them first. Either way, fear is ruling the show. Love has been sent into the back seat, and that dominated my.
Speaker 4: Life for a very long time.
Speaker 3: And when I became aware of my fear of rejection, it doesn't mean I no longer have it. It just means I no longer allow my life to be governed by it. And I know when it shows up when I'm triggered, or when I'm compromising my values or I'm not being true to myself.
Speaker 4: I just know that I'm in that fear state.
Speaker 3: I mean that survival mode. It is like I'm under attack. You know someone's about to reject me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I imagine it would take this sting out of it for you when you've got that self awareness and that it does that self compassion and understanding, you like, oh, I'm feeling those feelings. But instead of responding in rage mode or whatever, however, responding through feart I can imagine it takes the sting out of it.
Speaker 3: Well, it takes the sting out of it, but it also helps things maintain perspective because you know, you talk a bit about responsible ability, and responsibility doesn't mean you are responsible. It means what you are responsible for is your ability to respond. And when you're reacting, you're no longer responding. You are triggered, you are in fear, you're in freeestvitle flight, and that's normal, that's human. That's an inherited trait that we've got from our ancestors to keep ourselves safe, because that's what we're seeking all the time. I just know that when I'm in that state, I'm now in my fear base, and that's not how I get the best out of myself. Now I'm a seven times world champion. I'm the only athlete in the world in surfing to a one six in a row, five to one in fear, two or one in love. And the difference between five in fear and two in love is outcome versus process. I was in love with the process in one and seven they're my love baseball titles. I was in love with the process of being a better surf for a better human being. The growth, the challenge, the setbacks, all of that, none of it defined me. It just supported my evolution as a human being. Then I became outcome focus. Now every result defined me.
Speaker 1: Every action, every fast to your worthiness goes back to that challenge of trying to prove your worthiness, which we know is just a never ending mountain that you'll never reach the top. I find it really interesting that of all the lessons that you've learned, like you say, your book is full of them self, love is what really when you look back now, is what's really defined you in these years and what's really helped and shaped you and the journey that you've had to get there, which has been a big one by the sounds of things.
Speaker 4: Yep, and it's constantly evolving.
Speaker 1: Well, Lane for a woman listening who has had a challenging childhood, what advice would you have to help her make beautiful things of her scars and to grow and to really have a sense of hope that she's going to turn out fine.
Speaker 3: Your past doesn't have to be your future is the biggest lesson that I've learned. I don't if we keep going back into the past to justify our current situation or predict a certain future, then we're robbing ourselves.
Speaker 4: At the present.
Speaker 3: Moment, the only place that you can actually instigate change, and that starts.
Speaker 4: With you, be the change you want to see.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of people that are going to tell you because of what happened, then is justifying why you are here right now? Are you happy in this particular moment with yourself.
Speaker 4: There may be a.
Speaker 3: Whole lot of things outside of you that you cannot shift, that you cannot change. It may be the parents you grew up with, the challenges that you endured, the commission housing that you were subjected to.
Speaker 4: The bullying, whatever.
Speaker 3: All those things outside of you, of course are going to have an impact on how you feel about.
Speaker 4: Yourself, which you get to choose. How you feel about yourself and if you're.
Speaker 3: Basing your feelings and your thoughts on things outside of you, then you're a ruddless boat for the rest of your life. So you need to start coming back to yourself and asking who am I. You set an intention, not a to do list, and the intention is simple as having an I am mantra I am loved, or I am lovable, I am loving, I am whatever you want to be. My business partner tests her I am mantra. Her intention every day is I am sunshine. Because sunshine always is there. It's always showing up. It warms, it grows, it nurtures everything. And when she was flat on her back having walked out of a spinal ward, having been on her back for four months now under psychiatric care of her parents, with no money, no job, no identity, no life, she had to keep coming back to I am sunshine. I am sunshine, and that became her grounding force. So we do have the capacity to shift the circumstances of our life, but we can't change it outside of ourselves.
Speaker 4: We have to start from within.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love that mantra.
Speaker 1: I think it can be so powerful and something like you say, grounding, that can just every day. Just keep reiterating that and yes.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Oh, Lamee Beachley, such a wonderful conversation. Thank you for sharing with us today.
Speaker 4: Always happy to have a chat. Thanks Amelia.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctyesmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixy dot Health or check out the show notes for more