Speaker 1: Welcome to the podcast today, and you're about to listen to episode one. After you've finished, head straight over to episode two. Okay, enjoy get that.
Speaker 2: Make yourself comforty you sit back, put the mic into you on that, John, I'm comfortable. Are you happy now? Yeah? You are.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: We'll leave that in. But a bloke that we talk about this person a lot on the podcast, Jack, would you say, well we I would say he's probably the most talked about player in the National Rugby League, not for his ability, but for his being a part of this family. He's almost like a unicorn to our listeners. They've never heard a word that you've said, but we've made it happen today. Harry Grant, Welcome to the studio. Mate, Thanks mate, it's good to be on. And yeah, it's good to see Maddie. Yeah, made an appearance for the big event.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, look, you're a big guest for us. We want to get you on for a long time. But obviously you live in Melbourne, so it's hard to liaise with your busy schedule and and the amount that you cost as well, and you'll be invoicing us, but Harry, best price for your boys dad's in Lismore, so he's what's he doing? Well, Loreno's as we just saw, it's expensive, so I think he needs to go and make some spare cash. I think he's on speaking gigs and whatnot. We've better check in. These must be struggling. Yeah, I don't think Fox Sport's paying him enough. Yeah, we might have to renegotiate that.
Speaker 3: Honestly, Tricia slops him out like nothing she actually does.
Speaker 2: Trisha's gone for a long lunch. Well, this is the thing, right Trisha. She'll book all these speaking gigs for him and be like, Matt, you've got this. Then. I don't even think she checks with him half the time, especially when there's costs that are going about, you know, whether it be renovations or car costs and stuff. And then she goes when he's not here, she'll go and just have a massive long lunch with all of her friends. So she books it for her herself. Really, well, she's probably said to her friends, let's let's have a long lunch because that's the way I'll book. I'll book Matt into Lizmore for a speaking gig. And you know what she does, because he ticked, you know, how dad doesn't have like laptop email shit, So she he doesn't even have access to his bank accounts. Yeah, so she wouldn't know, he would seriously, she doesn't. So he wouldn't know how much money's in the bank. So he doesn't know. Chris could be scamming the shit out of.
Speaker 3: He wouldn't know what. He wouldn't know what he's been able to accumulate over the years. He would have no clue.
Speaker 2: That's a good life, isn't it. It's it's nice. It's naive because you would like, as far as he's concerned, he makes well, he would have no idea how much goes in.
Speaker 3: It works in two ways because in one way, you know he hasn't got that over his head. But in another way, because he's awfully cheap. I see him do some things at dinner sometimes where people are like splitting the bill or whatever it is, and you just see him go quiet.
Speaker 2: He actually doesn't know how much money's good on the car. He goes, Oh no, he does do that a lot, Like if he's if he's at dinner and he's had a few drinks and he knows the bill's expensive, he'll almost like put his head down or go to the toilet as he knows the bill is going to be coming out so he doesn't have to chip in. Yeah, he's tight conservative talking about tight because you are, well, you're one of the biggest tight asses. I would say, as well, that's rich. Well, I would say, no, I think you know for me personally, you know, you know, blue collar, coming from a working class family, class town, you know, you understand you've got to work for everything in life. Where yourself personally like, over the years, it's more of that silver spoon you know things. Yeah, things just come easy in life, they come free. You've had everything given to you. So that's sort of a harsh I would say, that's a harsh comment than that. You know, my dad doesn't know how much he makes, so therefore I never knew how much team made. And yes, we grew up close to the beach. I would I'd like to be closer. But you out there in your pon, where is your poon next to your knife and fork? Correct? It is up there in rock Anton. Did you enjoy your childhood up there? No idea. It is a good, good place to grow up. I think as you get older and and you sort of go back there, you appreciate it more for what it is and what it gives you throughout those years. I don't really know if I will end up back there or not. Not really sure. We've got real estate in every just about every town at the moment. Not in Manly, Mate. It's too expensive on the beaches. Yeah, did you? Someone was asking me to because you're a surfer. They were saying, it's a it's an anomaly that Harry Grant knows how to surf given he come from your Pun. They said, the beaches aren't that great there. Yeah, No, that's pretty shit surf. It's probably like one of the most northern parts that gets like genuine swell. I don't remember when we're kids, would you just like, as bad as it sounds, you'd be hoping for for a cyclone because he'd create a bit of swell and you'd get you'd get good surf. Where's that?
Speaker 3: Where's that that wave? Pull up? There? Is that Kelly Slater's or someone's up that way?
Speaker 2: H Yeah, there's one. There was a prototype in your Pun and that was Okolupo.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, is that the giant bell?
Speaker 2: Is it like a bell or anything like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't a bell like slams down and hits the water. Yeah, So I think the guy had the idea. He threw a rock in the pool and like as you throw a rock in the pool, there was like a ripple effect. Yeah. So he's like, I think he was an engineer or whatever, and he was like, oh, I could actually make a wave pool with this design, big plunge. Yeah, that was his idea. And then it's sort of come to life, but it hasn't really has taken off real Is it left you or a ride or is it just mate? I haven't look at this guy. It's all the above, Jack, Oh right.
Speaker 3: I know I'm really interested because I remember going out to the surf with you out at Freshwater one day when you're at the Tigers, and I do remember that. Yeah, it didn't last very long in there. It was pretty pretty not.
Speaker 2: Well, Yeah, who did we go with that day? Yeah, that's raf That's what I was just telling you before. He's on the trunk because the Sharks at the moment, this up and down the South at the moment, Yeah, they beat they beat the Knights. We're gonna talk about your game in a second as well. But the sharks at the minute you are you surfing still at the moment with all the shark tacks now, probably not as much this year, a couple of couple of serfs here and there. I think as as the years go on, probably get less time in the water. But yeah, it definitely is a little bit of a concern, a bit more attention around it and something. It's probably on your mind a lot more now. But I think Cross.
Speaker 3: Doing the right things in New South Wales. I'm know what they're doing in Queensland. So at the moment Chris Mens has done like an initiative. So my mate Raff's like the head of the board riders there at Curly, So he's basically been given like this life saver drone where they you know, when they've got contests or anything going on, sort of you know in the yea patrolling. He goes out there and susses it out before and after and then if they get any like he's got some footage of like a great white out there behind the rock pool and then he'll send it off and they like use it for now, like for research to try and track them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was telling keeps before there's there's a guy on Facebook hunter Shark Restoration. He's actually very educated and if you're interested in it, he's he's got pretty good opinions on it. All speak speak some truth about it, because I mat like I heard someone saying the other they because they breed, don't the sharks breed like in the creeks in the estuaries and stuff. There's like a lot of a lot of bull sharks and stuff like that. So is that where they used to They used to cull them in there before they'd get big enough. And then because when they get big enough, they look for bigger fish and that's where they go into the ocean. Yeah, I guess there's a lot of competition now for for food sources as well for food, and so then they sort of come closer and now where we're food look at it. I didn't know how I got David Attenborough on on the body of today. Oh yeah, A silly questions, mate, Get silly answer, good answers. Hey, we're going to talk some footy in a minute about that this yearson and whatnot, some some serious stuff, some not serious stuff. But first impressions of obviously me and you lived together for a long time. I've never probably asked you some of these questions. First impressions when we sort of were assigned roommates because we never met before, they sigt to just put us together. Yeah, first impressions. Do you remember. I remember I was heading down there, and I remember BP. I was still going to BEP, and I was probably more trying to live with I think Louis Gerrity, because I knew Louis from the Sunny Coast and and BP was sort of like, oh, you're going to live with. I said Louis like I'd probably try, and he goes, I'm mate, of I got a good good match for you. I got a there's been a bloke coming and I think you'll be a good match, and it was you. He goes, Oh, Cooper good, John's he's coming down. I was like, oh yeah, I wasn't really sure. And then sort of push pushed Louis again, and then out of the blue on Facebook, I just get this photo in these videos. Do you remember that. Yeah, you had a karaoke bar or something. I think you'd messaged me just saying, oh, hey mate, I think we may be living together or something. Yeah, we're gone into the city. I think it was someone's birthday, might have been Mum, or maybe I was celebrating. Me finished my HSC and we all went Me, Dad, Mum and Jack and we went so make it into this karaoke bar. And it just happened to coincide with you messaging me, and I actually went. I went back not long ago and had to look at him. I was just sending you. You're like trying to ask youerious questions like oh mate, you know what day do you going to have a pre season that? And I was just sending you back these videos of us singing karaoke. Yeah, oh here we go. This would be good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would have been a positive thing because I would have met Harry before you. Yeah. I played Harry twenty so yeah, so he played twenties. The first time I ever met Harry Grant, he knocked me out.
Speaker 2: Yeah really he went.
Speaker 3: He scored a try on me. I was playing thirteen or lock or back row and they excuted out a dummy half and like you would have been like sent off for it these days. He like full head butted me.
Speaker 2: I just went ahead first at him. That's your that's you always been your treat the old head duck. Yeah, a couple of times.
Speaker 3: Maybe one of the worst knockouts I've ever had. I reckon like waking up.
Speaker 2: That was the my one of my favorite because one of my favorite yarns involving because when you first get down to Melbourne, they put you on this like everyone heard about the work program, there's a big Army camp, but I would say this, the work program is almost harder than the Army camp because it's over a two week period and you get up four in the morning, go and do your gym, your work all day and then come back and do your training in the ARVO like it's to show your appreciation. It's a very good initiative. Yeah, but you were a lot better because you've just been you'd finished school, you're a year older than me, and you before you come down you've done like an apprentice as a sparky, so you were handy, you had a good work rate. I was probably the opposite side of that. And we were working for this guy Maddie Dean at Drainflow, where basically what would we do, like what was our actual job? It was like inspection plumbing. So they were like all the sort of new builds in those newer states, and because they're pretty quick slap up homes, a lot of the plumbing that was getting laid under the slab or under the sort of dirt around the slab was getting cracked and stuff. So we'd have to throw the cameras down see which which pipes were cracked, and then we'd have to dig up repair the pipes. It was a tough job. Like it was hard. It was hard labor. Yeah, it was hard labor and shoveling, and we had to dig pretty deep and then like cut the pipe. Like there's a lot for a bloke that wasn't qualified, never made a tape. It was a hard job, right, You, on the other hand, like you sort of handle it well. So the guy loved you, Maddie Dean loved Harry Grant like he'd probably still to this day you'd be his favorite player because he'd just always be wrapping you and just hammering me all the time. And he used to get real personal too. Yeah your dad. Yeah, at one stage, Jack, he was like saying, oh, like you your shit, like just like your dad and real like personal sledges. No, I don't know, but I don't know what he had against Dad and Joey, but fucking hated me, like with a passion, just always went at me. And then one day I was like this guy like I've had enough, I've had enough of him. And and then we come up with a plan. Well, his apprentice, whose name was Simz, Steven Simons, the night before he tipped this off, the day before he tipped us off, and he was like, oh, look he's waiting if you want to prank him. He's waiting to get back from this guy from Burbank, which was like a there building contract, building contractor they build all those commercial homes out in fucking in a block and they're all like identical. They might be al one hundred homes, and he was wanting all that work because it must be like a big contract for him. He's waiting to hear backroom, you should prank him. So we can't be a plan right, I'm going to bring him as David from Burbank. No, I send him a text. I'm going to text him from David from Burbank, and I'm going to tell him mate, you've got You've basically got the job. You're going to get a ring soon. We're just doing some police checks and stuff like that. We're doing background text and sh on you and then he goes So, remember we were sitting at I think it was like Hungry Jacks or something. We're sitting there getting lunch break and we send the text and we're just like kids, like we're sitting there watching him, and he's looking down at his phone, hadn't replied to it yet. And then he was like on the blower, got maybe he's maybe he's just like maybe he's just telling telling other He's got other ship to worry about. He's not really worried about this right now until he gets a good conformation. Let it go. Meanwhile, he's ringing his wife and he rang his wife and he was like, oh, you know, we've honey, we've made it, basically yeah, and he was like, buy that new car, yeah, whatever you want, holiday book that holiday, let's move houses. Like we've honey, we've made it. We've hit the big time. All the hard workers finally paid off. And he's basically like making all these decisions with his wife. Anyway, during that time as well, he rang his main contact at Burbank and was like, oh, mate, you know I got this. I got this text YadA YadA, and the guy was like, oh, mate, shoot me the number. I just confirm who it is for you, like I didn't because he didn't have the number save and he's saying he's got this job. The bloy comes back to him. He'd reference like with the security team at Burbank and they go, mate, this number is not in our system. This number is not in our system. And we get back into the car. Were still don't heard anything. We're thinking, oh, like he'll see it soon or whatever. And remember we're driving down the highway and he rang it. He rings the thing and I'm sitting in the back seat and for whatever reason, my ringer was on and it just goes bring and he's looking remember like the look that he'd given them the rear vision mirror. Fuck, it was that scary. I would kill a blake. And he's just staring in and you're staring at us, and he goes, is that you was a little fuck, And I'm like, oh, oh yeah, sorry, he was just a prank. Pulls over, remember, and he just like looked back at us and he just hammered us. Hammered you as well, because he thought you were the one that told me to do it, and he's like, I expected it from you, but you you, and he goes, I'm going to like the report that I'm going to give to Craig belly Me on YouTube. Fuck mate, you guys will never playing a role everything. He was stone cold too. Remember he knew Johnny Donahue. Yeah, John Donahue, who is the wrestling man Melvin mate and so scary. Everyone's that scared of him, And at that stage we were like, such a good guy. Yeah, but like when you were young though, when you were young, it's like, oh, you're so scared of him. He knew a guy that knew John Donahue and everyone Remember everyone had heard the stories of like JD choking out Cooper Cromkin stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Players used to say, like, don't get on his bad sordy because one time Coop's like was into him. The next pre season come back base choked him out, he passed out, and then just dragged him off the mat and kept So everyone was like, no one pissed off JD. Because you can make your life hell in a wrestle session. And then he goes, you wait two weeks into our time down there, two weeks and you were going, you're going to ruin my life, like they're going to hate me. Leave the names. And he was like we had wrestled that afternoon. Remember he was like he's going to choke You's out, Like he's going to choke you's out. Thank god he didn't because if he come up to us straight away, John's like, you know it's going to be your your session today or something like that. I've just spoken in a bloke from from drain Flood. That's right, and we're like a ship. He's got us, he's got us, He's going to simply we should ring him later made down. I've still got his number. But some other yarns that I love about our time around there because before Harry Grant came a captain and a leader, you know, we were the young people were we were the young people in the squad. Uh and we used to be quite chirpy. Well and you sort of followed my lead. Remember we used to go Adam O'Brien heat Just think about this story the other day, And the best thing about them was like, well, you'd finish a pre season session and it would be like Saturday and we'd go straight to the pub to have a beer precinct precinct and it was like an AVO session that would turn into a nightclub. So like we didn't have to leave venues, we didn't have to change and all the like a lot of the assistant coaches would come and have a beer with us, and it was like the best singing, like we were frothen yeah and we're tired and so we And the good thing about an assistant coach is like you kind of mates with the assistant like Belly would you have a beer with Bellia, But he keeps himself at a distance. But like so remember Smith and Eric Smith and Adam O'Bryan, they used to always come down. They'd always come on and Aaron Bella And so after every session, remember me and you would like I Blliak and Adam would finish their sort of speech and their address to the group, and then me and you were going, oh boys, you know, good sesshon, which we shouldn't even been speaking because like at first year, we go boys, great sessterday. And the good thing about his you know ads, he's put on a bar tabe down at the precinct for everyone and we all go down everyone and go yeah sweet, And I think like it started to get on his nerves a heat because we take the piece out of him all the time. Remember he pulled us into into his office. See he goes, yeah, boy's look, I love you know, you guys bring a nice fresh energy, but probably the jokes are starting to go too far. And you know, when we're out on that field and I'm addressing the team, you know there needs to be a level of professionalism, and I think you guys are taken that to another level. So then we went, yeah, sweet, no worries. And then we got together and we went, well, let's just not speak to him anymore ever, give him the cold shoulder. We just never spoke to him for like a month. And remember we started training like really good, really good, And then there was one day that like, you know, your job is sort of the other side of the renegade is to challenge the and our relative. Yeah, and we put him like we put him to the sword. We had a really good session, like pulled their pants down a fair few times and they were sort of reviewing it and Adam come in like trying to give us a rap, but was trying to be our mate again and he was like, yeah, boys, boys, and we just completely completely brushed him and he was fuming about it. Remember even when we go to the precinct with him and you'd get there, you would get the because he used to be he love a footy yard when you're having a beer, Yeah, and I reckon because we'll because we were younger, we craved that sort of validation or like learning in a sense, and we just love talking footy. And then it got to a point where we realized, like he actually talked so much footy when we were having a beer they got annoying. And then we had schooner glasses and beer coasters and you're setting up plays and stuff like that at the pub. Harry said him up and he go like, how do we wind him up and get him going? And Harry walk up to him and got as a young hooker, and he'd be there with his wife. So he's not like wanting to talk forty, but he couldn't help himself as a young hooko. If I'm attacking like a short side, how you know, should I be trying to get over the advantage line and take the second mark or should I just hit my half early and he go right turn his back on his wife and get all the coasters out and for like twenty five minutes just just going in depth and then to plays at the pub. Oh he was funny. I still remember. I still remember he sprayed me one of my biggest prays, probably copped probably the best thing he ever did. But he sort of rinsed me about my passing. I think we played a testimony the testimonial get Smithie and Thurston testimonial, and I was I wasn't going to play, but Brandon ended up not playing, so I got a spot in the team, and my passing was so bad and he just rinsed me in a video session. And it was actually the best thing that ever happened, because then after that I was like, oh shit, I really need to work hard on my passing. The we're going to talk. Do you have any belly axes prays in your head? Only that game? The same game? Yeah? Is that at halftime?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: At halftime when he he was in, I took a show from Thurst and Fair Fair Blake to take a show. Not everyone's taken a show from It's pretty John, And it was his testiment, his testimony, have a moment.
Speaker 3: How much money can you pulled in that night?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so do they get the money testimony? Did they get the money? They split the money for that they get there. I think that's that's usually the way testimonials work. But I'm not sure. In the NRL the glendid it one didn't he did?
Speaker 3: They did one for Johnny Sutton when I was a house too. So like I'm pretty sure whatever the crowd like, like the crowd money that comes in the profit of that, it's split either. Like for that game, was it two pit? Was it JT and Camsmith's testimony? Yeah, yeah, so they would have.
Speaker 2: Split the cash, split the pot. So they've got the can you take? Did you get one of those? And no? I didn't. Still I want them pre season? Why we got them on hundred grand?
Speaker 3: What do you think the other day when the storm put that Cuba John's cut post that page? What was the chat in the dressing room? Right?
Speaker 2: I was very influenced. I think our media team got influenced by certain well. I was down there the week before. Yeah, he was down the week before and he kept talking about it to them.
Speaker 3: Oh I know he did.
Speaker 2: I hyped him up, I hold him out, and they thought that's the best. That's the funniest thing I've ever heard. Even though I'd been talking about it for like two years trying to get it going, we finally got it and the best part was Yeah that like after they posted that. Yeah, I try to be objective, but I really wanted Storm to win it. Given that's given that. Oh yeah, it's easier to say that now. Yeah, you obviously didn't the because we also went on the army camp together, you and I. That was our good We had a good young group we did. We had a really young crew, not much NRL experience. I think there was I think Brandon was the only one that had played NRL yep in there because then it was you, perhaps tin O myself. I don't know if anyone else played first got Chris Lewis. Chris Lewis was on it, but at this stage only branded a debut. Yeah played NRL.
Speaker 3: I ask a question too, like so now because they used to back in the day, do the whole squad army camps? Right? So now is it pretty much like initiation now? So it's like pre Christmas? They just do it for the newcomers.
Speaker 2: For the storm. That's always been initiation. And then over the years, I think I think Hoffy I think remember he always talks about how he's I think he's done two or three of them when they come back after a year, and he'd already done an army camp and then they were like everyone's going on it. Yeah, and then a couple of years ago we did like a sort of semi like a short shortened one after Christmas. But yeah, in terms of id Q, it's only you only do it once. It's usually only initiation. But then sometimes if Billy felt like they needed a whole team one, Yeah, didn't he just do that? Yeah? No, No, that's a funny story. Why why inappropriate? Yeah, the way, because that was the first I talk about Billy X sprays my belly ch spray come from the Army camp. I don't know if you remember this. Remember we had to day too, no sleep like rattled as and they make you write an essay and read it. Speeches were so bad because you couldn't even understand what you're handwriting. Yeah, because you're falling asleep as you're writing. You're falling asleep, So it's like it's like your pen and your hands still moving, but you remember everyone's pace of paper. I just had lines from where they'd be like falling asleep and could go Did you keep them?
Speaker 3: Did you to keep them? Afterwards?
Speaker 2: They took they give them to bellyate Kee reads all of them. Oh really, So every time you have like.
Speaker 3: Should give him a text if if you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've always actually like been interested in that. Like every time there's like sort of a couple of minutes spare or whatever, or you jump on a bus to go to the next stop, they give you you have your book and you got to write things. They like sort of give you prompts and stuff. Yeah, text him now, actually.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because because we got we did like a similar thing in my first one at South and then they gave they gave people are are writing for you, and then they gave them to you to keep afterwards. It was pretty cool. Oh yeah, I love in my car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's it doing in your car?
Speaker 3: I've always I've always just kept there because I like positive reinforcement ones. So I always like, because I've got the same car for the last ten years. Yeah, but I've just always had it sitting in my car.
Speaker 2: So someone tries to break and goes into the Gloff box and looks at that. He's a really nice guy.
Speaker 3: Actually, I took photos of him to keep me gaze.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that is a good way to do it. Yeah, I wish I I wish I had had like a a chance to read it back or even now, like especially at the time, like like we'd never played a game or never really understood what the club meant. So when you're writing all that stuff, it's it'd be kind of interesting to gauge what your thoughts and feelings from them as opposed to now kind of thing.
Speaker 3: You remember what you had to write about anything.
Speaker 2: Well, this essay time, it was writing basically like about yourself. They did, they say about your story or something like this. It had to be four hundred words. Yeah, but that's what they say. It has to be four hundred words, not one less for one forward. If it is, everyone's putting punished for it. Look they were never counting it. But in your head, yeah, in your head, you're so I'm up there doing this speech and I remember like all the filler words you're writing there. Yeah, it's like the two I remember writing just to feel like the four hundred words, but you're trying to read it. You can barely read it. And because you're that tired. I remember like people getting real emotional when boys crying and stuff like that, like talking about like random stuff, just like playing footy, like they're crying anyway in it to fill time. I remember, I said, and this is like Billy's pet hate. I didn't know it at the time, and I said, oh, you know, I'm really happy with where I'm at at the moment. But my whole intention was I was trying to say, like, oh, I was a Storm fan growing up, Like I'm really happy to be at this club, Like I'm really happy. And remember he was stewing, and remember afterwards you come back in sort of to do a review as a whole group, and Belly It goes, I just want to pull one thing up from the camp. That was when we're in the team meeting room. Hate, we come back in. Yeah, we're all sitting there. Everyone thought, yeah, we've done it, We've finished, and he goes, I just want to pull something up to the group. I think it's a good lesson for everyone. But what Cooper said in his speech yesterday, and I'm like, oh, shit, he goes, Cooper, you said, you know, you're really happy with where you're at, and I went and I instantly knew where he was going to go. And actually, and he goes, no, I just hang on one seat. You know, you should never be happy with where you're at, like at this club. Complacency Like that's death. Like if you're complacent at this club and you start to fall in love with yourself, you know, if you're playing Sad of Origin whatever, that doesn't matter. Like you need to get better every single day at this club. And I'm sitting there just getting roasted. Everyone as a team. It was a good thing. Everyone learned complacency from it, but fuck me drunk and it was never happened where I was at. Oh yeah, that was good. I do I still remember that. Actually, that's that's Bells's best one line of two what never be happy with where you're at. Never be happy where you're at. I was pretty happy out there. Never be happy?
Speaker 3: What about just doing it because you like it? It's actually fun.
Speaker 2: And Jack will be involved in this story because when we actually ended up moving into originally the first two years we started at a homestay and you and I we ended up moving into a new place in Burnley Street. There's there's two parts of this story. Jack actually flew down to try to help us moved on, and it was actually the week of the AFL Green Final, so afterwards we moved in. Steve Crawley actually at Fox Sports got tickets. We've got some Grouse tickets. Mad I was right in the Richmond area. We'll wear Richmond stuff and we watched Richmond pumped them in the Richmond.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we didn't even watch the game because it was like it was a GWS, like they got hammered.
Speaker 2: Twenty nineteen, wasn't it? Nothing wrong with GWS as well as quietly But now that I'm dating someone flw Wide, they're really good. They're strunk, possibly better than the man. But we actually a story. People probably don't know about you because you'd only played like maybe two first Go games at the time we went out on the piss. It was the night before Mad Monday and you tried to do the right thing and go home and have an early night for Mad Monday the next day. And yeah, yeah, you had an incident where you banged your head and you woke up in someone's front lawn. But people people at the remember that night we were with was that Nick Nattnui? Yeah there's a photo. We got a photo, like I think Nico was with him and yeah that's right. Yeah, Felice CAFUSI got a picture with him. Cause remember Felice dressed up as him the next day. Yeah that was random.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, can you run people through the actual things that happened that night, because the story kind of got out, it would have been a bigger story. That's holding this stayed, yeah, stayed in the archives. Well, tell as much as you want to tell, and then you know we won't. Nah. No, So what happened was I think this is what happened because I'd lost my phone and I had a hat on, and because we've just moved to the new house, I sort of lost my bearings, like I didn't really know where I was going anyways, and then I think I left my phone in the taxi. So I've chased after the taxi, and chasing after the taxi, I've tripped over and I reckon I've knocked myself out or something because I had a massive gash from your eye. Yeah, so chasing after the taxi and then I sort of just taken cover on someone it's like front porch because they had a little day bed, you know, the little day Yeah, a little straight away from where we lived it. Yeah, and then I got working. I woke up the next morning and I was pretty rattled, like didn't have my phone, had my wallet, and then yeah that obviously the people inside were a bit concerned and rang the coppers. Who is this hooker on the side of my day bed? And then I was full oblivious of where I was because it was a new new area to us, like we were dead set as a crow fly. I was probably fifty meters from home. Yeah, yeah, but I actually was like where am I? Like it was and it was like it was pretty scary for you at the time because you didn't have your phone or anything, but you were wigging out because the journal started to ringing, Like well, so yeah, anyways, the coppers asked me, they said, what do you do? And I remember we were sitting with the Stevie, you know Stevie Raper, the cop but that always comes on away trips with us earlier in the year. I sort of spoke to him and he goes, mate, if you ever get in strife. Just be honest with the coppers. Just be honest. So they come to me, they go, what what do you do? Mate? Like they sort of quizzed me. I was like, oh, I played rugby league, like for the Melbourne Storm, Like I you know, I just had a last night. We had a drink like blah blah blah, Like I wouldn't do anything wrong, Like I'm not you know what I mean? Like I was just honest that I got told to be honest. I was honest. And then as I'm at the I had to go to the hospital get stitches in my eye and then yeah, and then it all come out and it's like, oh, well, i'd honestly come back to but I remember because I got home and you weren't there, and I went, rather than do something about it, I went, that's just don't know where he is. I wass go to bed. You left me like two hours before should have. And then my phone was getting ranged during the night. Who's ringing me off some random Facebook account like through messenger on Facebook. The nurse said, let him use because I didn't have a phone. So I was like in Cuba and he's in there getting stitched up, and he's going, Coops, hey, hates, what are you doing? I made him just here with the nurses. They're stitching me up. Come up where I just over the hospital. Come up. And then you were going, this is me, mate, Coops. I was telling you about this because I was. I was in a.
Speaker 3: Fabitish shock when I because I was like, we actually had quite a wholesome weekend. You guys weren't allowed to drink, and then we spent the weekend at like Kiyah.
Speaker 2: We'd been gone setting up the new house.
Speaker 3: Harry was set up the new house, Cooper was watching and then basically like even Saturday night, that was the night that I came home late and you didn't let me in the house.
Speaker 2: Remember we locked him out by accident.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I Richmond my Richmond Tiger scarf, and I was blind and it was freezing cold. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember. I woke up at like seven am. The summer's already up, and Jack was starring rocks at my window and I was like, oh, I've been outside for four hours.
Speaker 3: It wasn't it was like it was probably like six or seven hours. I've been there since like one am, and I couldn't in the house and like cause he's like, you said to me there was something to do with your garage door. And you remember you're saying to me, oh, just like the garage door will flick up, and it just never did.
Speaker 2: And I was.
Speaker 3: Yelling, going, Cooper, let me in. You would have had like you would have had over like forty messages on your phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good weekend. Yeah, it was a great weekend and all. Yeah, it was a successful weekend. You like, you know what was mad at what the storm did though, they because at the end of the day, you know, people like I barely call it a scandal because nothing really come of it. Some journal has tried to kind of make it a story. Nothing really happened of it because the end of the day, you just fell over hit your head. And but the storm they were actually pretty mad about it. Frank was awesome.
Speaker 3: Like I was rattled.
Speaker 2: I was so so rattled. Young Yeah, I was like, oh, what have I done? And the Frank was just like, look, you know, you've done something that most people do and nothing really comes of it because you've had too much to drink, and it would be a good lesson for you in the in the long run he goes. But as far as we're concerned, you haven't heard anyone or harmed anyone or done anything wrong in that regard. But yeah, just learn from.
Speaker 3: It and be better. And yeah, probably he probably does some worse skeino than his top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one thing. That's one thing Melbourne's good for because it's like you're out of the limelight and it's like that that probably if you're in Sydney or in Queensland, they might have tried to make it bigger than it was, like speculate about, like yeah, just make it bigger. But it was kind of like, well, well I think it was sort of like at the start of the morning, it was like Melbourne Storm player blah blah blah, and everyone was like, oh, this is a bit of goss and then it came out as me and everyone's like, who's that? You played like one game yeah, and then they're like what's Yeah, I remember because I didn't have a Mad Monday costume, so all of your like bandages and your hospital apron when I dropped you back home because I'd go straight to Mad Monday, I was already two hours later. I didn't make Mad Monday but yeah, yeah, you did, probably for good reasons. I was like, oh, can I wear what you've got it? And you were like yeah, And the ladies at the hospital are like you're going to keep all that? And he was like, yeah, Cooper's going to wear it, and they're like, oh whatever. So then I rocked up to Mad Monday and I thought this is hilarious. I remember the first person that saw me were Smitty Cameron was on the phone, like maybe to his wife or something, out the front of the pub and I'm walking down because we just live literally five hundimeters from from the pub, yeah, pub and the rising Sun, and I'm walking down and he was like what the hell you just say? Was like, look, I'm Harry Grant because I had like all your bloody bandages, and she and everyone thought it was funny. As born ten meters into me walking in, stood on a massive piece of glass because I was barefoot, cut my foot straight open and then I had to go get stitches. The last story I want to bring up quickly books before we get into the actual body, because we bring on thirty five minutes. Just been a random yarns good yarns reminiscing great yarns. But remember the wall of legends that we used to have had the as, Yeah, that's right, So I was rarely just thinking about this today. So we had jack a wall of legends of our favorite players and well were it was sort of like not supposed to be players. It was like wall of legends. Icons. Yeah, icons just add to it. Who wasn't it was off the Angry Boys, was it? Angry Boys had a hit a wall of legends Chrystal Lose TV show, and it was like everyone there admired and we had like Tony Carroll, Scott Minto, Luke remember the Luke Rooney one. That's what Luke Rooney. And then there was something else on there anyway, maybe a year. What it was is I had all these old footy cards from when I was a kid. Yeah, and I found those, like I think it was in the move and I found them, and that's when we put them on the wall. So like these old footy cards that all the kids get now, I still had heaps from when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We just went through found out like favorite oh yes, Tony Carroll, sick and then we just put them up on the wall of legends and then for whatever reason, Luke Rooney lived in Melbourne. Yeah, and he's working with the nineties, working with the nineties, and me and you later in that year after, like every single day when we're having a coffee, we're looking at this of Legends and Rooney's up there, like and we love Luke Rooney. Like it wasn't meant to be a piss take. We actually love Luke Rooney. And we went we're walking through and I go, no way, are you Luke Rooney? He was in the gym at Melbourne trained in the nineties, and he goes yeah, and I went, stay here, stay in now. I ran into sheds, Harry, come, come, look who it is and we walk up. It's fucking Luke Rooney and we were like, no way. Like frothen he would have been like, okay, good is this this is man, I'm here. And then we're trying to Yanna Yanna and then you go, which was trying. It was trying to be like a mad respect from their good place, and you went, mate, you're on our wall at home, like you're on the wall of Legends, and you were. He was staved. He's so happy. But then he goes, oh, who else is that there? And then I went, oh, like Tony Carroll, Scott Minto and there was another player up there. And because everyone like treats Scott Minto like, oh, he wasn't like, you know, like the like he's like just like the cult figure. Yeah, not because of his footy. And he took it. He got so offended. Oh really didn't take it too well at the start. But you could just see cheers boys. You could see the like disappointment on his face, like he went from thinking and then he just thought we were taking the piece out of you. And then me and you get back in the car afterwards, you're like, we've just blown that. Never met you hear us?
Speaker 3: You hear us?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's the into part one. I reckon it would have enjoyed it. Head over to part two.