Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm christanaming it. It's Monday, October thirteenth, twenty twenty five. Climate Change and Energy Minister Chris Bowen wants China and India to invest in Australia's renewable energy rollout. He says that's because they're two of the biggest carbon emitters in the world and Australia's efforts are unlikely to move the dial on emissions reductions without their input. British Prime Minister Keir Starmer will join US President Donald Trump and other world leaders at a signing ceremony for the Middle East Peace Steel in Egypt on Monday. Trump is expected to arrive in Jerusalem to a hero's welcome. He'll address Israel's parliament and visit the Western Wall as the nation prepares to welcome home at least twenty living hostages taken captive during the October seven attacks by Hamas in twenty twenty three, or is alive right now. At the Australian dot Com dot a U, members of Australia's Jewish community gathered to remember Israelis killed and captured by her Maas over the weekend. That's as thousands of pro Palestine activists marched through the streets of Australia's biggest cities. But as the gunfire quiets in the Middle East, the question becomes what are they marching for? That's today's episode. In Gaza City on Saturday, there was an unfamiliar quiet. For only the second time in more than two years, a ceasefire was in effect, and as Palestinians streamed back into the northern parts of the Gaza Strip, there was hope that, thanks to a historic peace deal between Israel and Hermas, it would stick. But around fifteen thousand kilometers away in Sydney, thousands gathered to protest. At a rally in Melbourne, Senator Lydia Thorpe made a stunning declaration.
Speaker 2: Parlament have the Huppine I am not then to make plan.
Speaker 1: And in Brisbane organizers urged hundreds to escalate their demonstration efforts. The Sydney march, organized by the Palestine Action Group, proceeded despite a ruling by the New South Wales Court of Appeals that a planned march from Hyde Park to the Opera House was a public safety risk. Cam the Peace Plan agreed to by Israel and Hamas has seen Israel's defense force drawback significantly in the Gaza Strip and Palestinians able to return home this weekend. That is ostensibly what pro Palestine groups have been demonstrating for over the past two years. So why did these marches in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane go ahead on Sunday?
Speaker 3: I think Christian that these marches have almost become institutionalized and ritualized to a degree.
Speaker 1: Cameron Stewart is the Australian's chief international correspondent.
Speaker 3: And they're morphed from calling for a cease fire, which of course they were calling for, and now as cease far has been delivered, they're not particularly comfortable with that. A lot of the more activist rump of the pro Palestinian movement, which a lot of those were the ones we did see marching this weekend, really have a far broader agenda and that is really they just don't want Israel to exist. I think that is really the only summary you can have.
Speaker 2: A ceasefire is not peace.
Speaker 3: A cease fire does not unbury the dead. They want a peace plan that gives complete sovereignty to a Palestinian state, a whole lot of conditions which Israel would never accept, and part of their agenda is to try to persuade countries to agree with their concept that a genocide has been committed in Gaza. They really want a whole series of conditions that simply are just not going to be met by Western countries. And so they're sort of living in a bit of a fantasy world to a degree, and it's a world that's not the reality of the Middle East. The Middle East is so complex, it is so difficult to make any sort of successful peace deal or resolution. And I think it's quite ironic that after calling for a cease fire for so long, there is a cease fire now. And this is a cease fire which overwhelmingly benefits the Palestinian people of Gaza. It stops the bombs, it lets in third aid, it has an interiant government that is neither harmus nor Israel. It's overwhelmingly in their favors. And here we are, We've actually got one which, fingers crossed on all sides, will succeed. And yet it has been criticized rather than celebrated.
Speaker 1: Is the pro Palestine movement splintering? Do you think into one group who believe their goal has been achieved and that this peace deal is what they wanted, and those with more extreme views.
Speaker 3: Since the October seven massacre, we've had two types of Palestinian protesters. One of the ones I call Mum and Dad protesters. They're the ones who came along to protest the very high Seville and death toll in Gaza ant Corp for a ceasefire. Now that group no longer has a reason to march. The other half of the protesters were what I call the more activist rump, and they're the ones who are calling for the eradication of israel trants from the river to the sea, coining Israeli genocidal state, et cetera, et cetera. I mean, these are activist demands that are extreme and we're completely unrealistic. But that is the group we are seeing on the streets now. And these activists are generally incredibly unpleasant, and I think that the vast majority of Australians, I really think Middle Australia are a sick of it and be quite revolted by it.
Speaker 1: In the wake of their court loss, organizers of Sunday's protest in Sydney said their case has significant implications for protest laws across Australia, and they've called for legislative reform to protect their right to demonstrate. The thing is, they've never been stopped, and the Albanese Labor government has largely supported freedom of assembly. But as threats of burning Parliament in support of the cause are banded about, is the political response adequate.
Speaker 3: I think there's a lot more pressure now on politicians and the police to restrict these protests in a way that of course in normal Australian society, no one wants protests restricted. But I've really got to say that some of the pro Palestinian organizers would have only themselves to blame if there is a curtailing of their freedom. For example, they of course wanted to march on Sunday to the Opera House, and that was a symbolic attempt to remind people of that disgraceful protest on October the nine, twenty twenty three, two days after the October seven massacre, where of course Jews were villified and flags were burnt in front of the Opera House. Now that was a provocative thing to ask to have that protest on Sunday go to the opera house. But I think that does show the dark intent and the dark heart of some of the pro Palestinian activists. So if they are accorded less freedom in the future, they only have themselves to blame, I think.
Speaker 1: On Friday, the head of the Australia Palestine Advocacy Network told British TV host Piers Morgan the October seven attacks were an act of resistance. Twelve hundred Israelis were killed in the twenty twenty three assault and two hundred and fifty one civilians and soldiers were taken hostage by Homas militants.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to call it an acted terrors would you call it? I'm going to call it part of the Palatinian resistance. The Zionist experiment failed in ethnically cleansing and extinguishing all of the Palestinians, and the Palestinians for an oppressor pieces when the oppressed isn't resisting, when they're silent.
Speaker 1: What do you make of this conflation of what is essentially a death cult in Hamas with the Palestinian people they've oppressed for almost twenty years. What does that do to an already fraught discourse about this conflict.
Speaker 3: Well, it's just an incredibly vicious interpretation really of what was a horrific terrorist attack on twelve hundred Israelis. It's almost beyond the pale to not call that a terrorist attack. I mean, basically by saying it's an active resistance effectively justifies it. I mean, this is the problem. You've got absolutely not even a sceric of objectivity or frankly humanity in that sort of comment. It's very hard starting point to even talk sense and logic to these sort of groups when that's where they're coming from. And of course that really does fuel antisemitism in Australia. It basically says this laughter of Jews is justified if there's a political motivation behind it. I mean, that's of course disgraceful thing to say, and very sadly, in the last two years we have seen over and over how this has bled into attacks, abuse, the burning of synagogue's, general harassment of Australia's Jewish community. They are words that literally do lead to anti Semitism and so they should be condemned.
Speaker 1: Coming up. Australia's Jewish community remembers October seven gatherings of a different kind took place across Australia on Sunday as the Jewish community came together to remember those lost in the October seven attacks, and.
Speaker 3: Stuart I went to one on Sunday morning in the Melbourne suburb of Corfield. Hundreds of Jewish people turned up, wrapping Israeli flags around themselves and singing songs, having prayers. And it was interesting Christian because I've gone to a lot of these protests on both sides of the last two years. But the first Jewish gathering where everyone was happy, people were crying. They were crying with happiness and hope and anticipation that the hostages were going to finally be brought home, that the war was over, hopefully permanently, but the guns had fallen silent. There was really a happy tone to it, and that's just so vastly different to all of the other protests that I've been to. And it was very dignified, very polite. There was no abuse of politicians. There was just gratitude in a way that Donald Trump, Benjamin et Yahou and international community had helped us forge this peace deal. It was a very peaceful and respectful occasion.
Speaker 1: How is Australia's Jewish community feeling. Knowing these demonstrations are taking place on or so close to the two year anniversary of the October seven attacks, a.
Speaker 3: Lot of the Jewish community was horrified that specific protests were actually planned and occurred on October seven. And you know, for the Jewish community, people I've spoken to, they just say, look, it's more of the same, It's what they've experienced over the past two years. And the indignity of having that done, I think was just very in sensors. To be fair, the numbers, thankfully were not very big at these protests. It's not like, you know, thousands and thousands of people turned out, so clearly that message was heard by a lot of people and they didn't turn up. But nevertheless the activists again didn't care, and they just went ahead and did the protests.
Speaker 1: Cameron Stewart is The Australian's chief international correspondent. You can read the latest from the Middle East and around the world at the Australian dot com dot au