Speaker 1: Apogae Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Am I A Bad Mum Podcast? How many weeks a week got left of school? It's the only school holidays again.
Speaker 1: Two weeks. We've got two weeks.
Speaker 2: I don't know what we're going to do in this school holidays because we need to work. Like a lot of parents, and I don't know about you, but kids expect us to take all the time off that they've got off, and I'm like, that doesn't happen in the real world. No, people that work actually have that amount of holidays per year. And I feel like you try and take some time off at Christmas because that's such a massive long holidays. And we went on holiday in the June July school holidays. So this September October one quiet, it's like, we have to actually work.
Speaker 1: I'm hoping for your sake they have a job.
Speaker 3: They have a job, because it would just be perfect timing for them to just get two weeks of work in the bank. Yeap. When that first paycheck comes in, when you've got that first job, there's nothing beat.
Speaker 1: That feeling because you're like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: My mum never questioned the money that was coming in or what I was doing with it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I have said to the girls because they were like, oh, well, you're just gonna take it off as anyway, and I was like, no, I'm not going to take it off you. I said, I think it would be a sensible idea to save half spend half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're also coming into Katie wanting a car, So that's what I mean.
Speaker 3: That's why all I'm saying is safe, safe safe, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because otherwise you're going to be on an electric scooter.
Speaker 1: You want to be on a scooter?
Speaker 2: You can't even afford that yet?
Speaker 1: Am I a bad mom for blowing the cover?
Speaker 3: I a few weeks ago went away to Sydney for work. With the particular work that we do, it's like twelve hour days and you don't get that break because we start really early in the morning and we finished kind of like eight thirty at night, and then by the time we're doing that, you know, the kids are on their way to bed. So I'm just it's that overlap of not being able to chat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is just to explain to people, this is like a fitness brand and you go to things like all the marathon charity runs marathons and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So by the time I've done a day sort of at the ex bot, I just don't get to FaceTime them or like chat because I don't have my phone for the whole day.
Speaker 1: Like it's crazy town.
Speaker 3: So anyway, long story short is I got a text saying, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Mom, You'll never believe.
Speaker 3: And then there was the photo and it's Elsie with no tooth and she's lost another tooth because we'd stalled.
Speaker 1: The teeth had stalled yea a.
Speaker 3: While we had an orthodon appointment and I sort of looked at him and was like, why are they stalling?
Speaker 1: She hasn't lost one in so long she's done.
Speaker 2: It took Colley six months to lose her last baby teeth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so I just got the text and it was later over and it was like, yeah, she was so excited, so excited she lost the tooth.
Speaker 1: Finally and Mom, yay, I.
Speaker 3: Get to put it out for the toothbairy tonight and it's so exciting.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get some money.
Speaker 3: But you were away when I was away, So Nanadee had the girls. That was all good, and then say ten thirty comes along and I was just in bed and I was about to shut down completely. And I don't even know why, but I had that moment because it's usually when I sort of forget at home if I'm the one meant to be doing it. And I sort of sent my mother a text and said, Hi, Mom.
Speaker 1: Don't forget the truth.
Speaker 3: Don't forget the two dollars and the tooth, so well please, I know, I said, hopefully I'm not waking you up, but I just thought of it, so I thought I'm going to text you to remind you.
Speaker 1: She said, actually, just going to do it now. Thanks the reminder. I was like, perfect, good night, going to sleep. All went well in your head? You're like, that was just so easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all good.
Speaker 1: I should work away more often. I'd got to cover it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all fine. Else's gonna be happy. In the morning.
Speaker 1: Elsie was pumped in the morning, absolutely pumped.
Speaker 3: Spoke to her, My gosh, got this, Oh great, you know this is all before seven am.
Speaker 1: I'm like, that's so cool. YadA, YadA YadA.
Speaker 3: At the same time, she was bugging me about a sleepover on that coming weekend for some reason, and I hadn't answered her yet, and there was a reasoning why, she went over to NaN's phone just before going to school and picked it up and opened her messages.
Speaker 1: This is what she tells me.
Speaker 3: Anyway, she opened up the phone, she opened up the messages, read the message that I'd sent Nan in the night before about the toothso and then she did the old voice to text, Hi, Mam, this is Elsie. I've just read the message. Oh no, I just read the message you sent Nan last night. I can't believe the tooth. I can't believe you keep telling me the tooth fairy is real?
Speaker 1: Oh something. She's just absolutely waiting for me, and I, as a parent, had no response.
Speaker 2: Does Gracie still believe?
Speaker 3: No? But none, I think because she's nine and I was sort of wanting to her, And it's the same with both of the girls. I just wanted them to get to that point themselves, and then when we have that conversation, I would tell them. But I wasn't going to tell them when they're young young, because that takes the fun.
Speaker 1: Out of it.
Speaker 3: Gracie and I had a agreement that if you believe, you receive, and if you don't believe, you won't receive. It's simple as that don't ruin it for others.
Speaker 1: And it was just simple.
Speaker 3: And now I'm then getting abusive text messages from my other daughter saying, I can't believe you've been telling me that the tooth Fairy is real. I just read your message to nine last night.
Speaker 1: Why didn't you tell me?
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh my gosh, this has left me in such a pickle because I was like, what is the right or wrong thing to do?
Speaker 1: Katie?
Speaker 2: First of all, I'd say, don't do your own head in, because every kid's got a story of when they realize this stuff, and that just happens to be the one.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 2: Secondly, I'd probably divert some of the blame and say, Nanade, what are you leaving your phone lying around for? And secondly, you need a password on it that the kids don't know.
Speaker 1: This was Katie, This was me one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: I was like what And then I like quickly like finished up what I was doing and walked away, and I like then I rang and was like hi. I was like, what is that a message about? You know, YadA YadA, and Mum goes, look, I'm sorry. She picked up my phone and just opened the messages.
Speaker 1: And I was like, Elsie Valentina, you do not open other people's phone. That is rude.
Speaker 3: And number two, that is her personal phone. You don't read people's messages. And that is your own fault.
Speaker 2: Now it's your fault.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, under connect didn't handle it as well as one would hope.
Speaker 2: But on the plus side, have a think about how you feel every December getting that annoying elf out, to put it in all the different and having to remember to put it in a different position and be creative with it every single day. Maybe that was your last year.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the thing, Katie.
Speaker 3: So it came up about the tooth very only I did not elaborate, okay, and we you and I had talked about how this year was going to be else last year, and then I was going to use I think it was your bra who was it, remember cousin or something, and how they wrapped up the elf living at their house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what you could do. This ticks all the boxes. You could say that the elf is now moving on to you know, like you blame cost of living, right, so you could cost of living has made things really expensive and there are households around the world that can't afford to get their kids Christmas presents anymore. Oh, you got to explain the whole stand to think but cost Oh no, okay, this is better, this is better. Scrap that cost of living means that Santa's not able to give everybody what he would normally want to give them at Christmas time. So some households and some kids are suffering a little bit because they're not getting what they used to get. So Elf on the Shelf is stepped in to save the day, and he is now visiting the homes. Oh yeah, where they don't have a lot of money and they don't have many presents at Christmas time, something along the lines of that. It's work in progress.
Speaker 1: We'll come back on that. We've got a few weeks.
Speaker 2: But there's definitely then, you know, a whole He's doing a good thing. He's doing a good deed. Isn't it great? He's going to those houses where those kids don't have anything.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna go with like I lost it or something.
Speaker 3: He moved out, he got a girlfriend grown, they've got to have a baby, they've got to find their own place to live.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: It doesn't have time to play in the flower anymore making snow.
Speaker 3: Ain's not being Yeah, it's not terrorizing our house. If you have any stories of how you wrapped up Elf on the shelf living at your house with your kids, please share.
Speaker 1: Them with us.
Speaker 3: Please share them because we can then share them on here with other people. If you're going through that same stress of having Elf on the shelf, return back on the first of December into your household.
Speaker 2: We never did del you know before.
Speaker 1: Actually, don't mind it, you know. I say that now because where or are we in like September. That's why I'm saying it. Ask me again in December.